1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I will become God-Harem King of the World! [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Been a while since I read the first volumes, but as far as I recall when Issei still had to use the regular Boosted Gear he did pretty much use it to fire himself up and then try to destroy his opponent in a handfull of moves, so I would say it kind of fits.

Also, as far as I see it, the Overdrive function is not supposed to replace your excellencies and stuff, but work cumulative with them when you really need to break through your dice cap, especially since any additional dots to your attributes allow you to buy extra dice with your Excellencies.
    The very reason why the heavy penalties and high costs are in place is to prevent it being used lightly.
    You already have an entirely new dicepool you can use for other situations so there is no real need to be able to spam your stat increases as well.

Also, do not forget that spending a Willpower point negates all fatigue penalties for a single action and reduces the amount of total fatigue penalties by one or that channeling Conviction negates fatigue penalties for an entire minute and removes as many penalties as the character's Conviction rating.
    So while suitably debilitating, it is not nearly as bad as it may appear.
    Besides, what is more fitting than Issei remaining standing purely on virtue of his Willpower after using his Boosted Gear far more than he should have?

Lastly, yes it does not work really as well as in canon, but quite frankly an artifact that doubles all of your stat ratings every 10 ticks is simply not workable in Exalted so adjustments need to be made while trying to retain the spirit.

2. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

I didn't know that. Good to know.

Pipeman is right cyberswordsmen. Issei has an Exaltation and Boosted Gear, he is going to become a powerhouse even without the Gear's original abilities.

Update coming by the way....

3. protoss16

protoss16 Know what you're doing yet?

Isn't Issei capable of firing a shot of pure energy, the dragon shot?
    http://highschooldxd.wikia.com/wiki/Issei_Hyoudou

Blud-boi-666 likes this.
  4. MHLord

MHLord Why hello there.

[X]Pipeman's Boosted Gear.

5. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Theoretically he should be able to learn something like it rather easily, most likely by spending some XP on it.
    It's debatable how useful it'd be without any dots in Archery though.

6. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

If it's a spell, shouldn't it be calculated using Occult?

7. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Given that this works more like an energy cannon than an Exalted spell, I don't think it would.
    Or at least hitting anything with it wouldn't.

8. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

It's not an energy cannon, it's Elemental Bolt Attack. And that's calculated using either Dexterity + Archery or Dexterity + Athletics at the player's discretion. Making Issei learn archery just to improve his aim with an attack spell is dumb and just ensures that it will never see use because we'll never sink EXP into it.

9. Threadmarks: Genesis - Part 4
    Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

[X] "It seems like I've suddenly become a magic lightbulb. Is there anything really important or life-threatening that I should know about that?" People who will kill you and hide the body if you do magic in public for example.

"No. I mean, as a rule magic and the supernatural in general is to be keep a secret from normal people, but those who discover it aren't killed." He grimaces. "Unless we are talking about criminals or Strays, but those kind of people usually just kill for fun and don't need a reason."

You gulp.

"Don't worry, it isn't very likely to meet them. Possible, but unlikely. When someone become aware of the supernatural either they have their memories of the event cancelled or they are to swear to never talk about it to those who don't know. For example, I always recommend to my clients to keep the summoning and me a secret even from their families."

"Your clients? What kind of people are they?"

He smiles. "Oh, they're mostly young girls who want me to act as their butler and business women that want a massage."

Damn handsome!

[X] "What is a sacred gear anyway? Does it have something to do with all the glowing and stuff? Do you know how to turn it off?"

"[Sacred Gear] is an irregular power that is bestowed to certain humans by God. For example, most of the people whose names are recorded in history are said to be possessors of a Sacred Gear. They used those powers to record their names in history, like a supernatural charisma or great intelligence."

"Wait, when you say God you don't mean...?"

"Yes, the God of the Bible. It's why Christianity is the most diffused religion nowadays. Most Sacred Gears have functions that are only usable in the human society, but there are exceptional Sacred Gears that are a threat to supernatural creatures, that enable a human to defeat and kill them." He adopts a thinking pose. "I don't recognize it but the glowing symbol and those flames you mentioned should be a Sacred Gear."

You think back to the vision you received, the golden god-like being who called himself Ignis Divine. He said 'I grant you this boon' so those powers should be his doing. So this is your Sacred Gear?

No, you have the feeling there is more to it.

"About turning it off, try thinking very hard about dismissing it."

"Okay." You close your head and imagine with fervor the glowing going away. After a dozen seconds you ask without opening your eyes. "Well?"

"No sorry, still there." You groan. "But I noticed it dimmed from the time I first saw it. So maybe if you wait long enough it will go away by itself."

You sure hope so.

[X] "Wait a second. You said the fallen angels don't operate alone. Does that mean the others will come after me because of this sacred gear thing as well?!"

"It's probable." His eyes narrow. "Especially that fallen angel woman, she will want revenge. But it's strange: usually fallen angels try to use humans to eliminate Devils, not kill them. She must have a special motive for trying to kill you."

"You tell me!? I was just a normal guy who liked eroge and wanted a girlfriend. And now after almost dying I am a walking, magical lightbulb with bullshit psychic powers granted to me by a God I don't even worship!" You throw your arms in the air. "Wait, what about my parents? If the fallen angels are after me would they target my parents too?"

Kiba grimaces. "This...is a possibility." Your blood freezes. "Tomorrow wait for me at school. I will present you to a person that should be able to help you with this."

"Really?"

"Really." He smiles before consulting his watch. "I need to leave. Go home and rest: it's unlikely the fallen will move so soon after a botched operation, and by tomorrow we should have, hopefully, resolved this problem. It was a pleasure making affairs with you..."

"Hyodo Issei." You give him the questionnaire. You put a positive rating. "Thanks for helping me Kiba-sempai." Even if he is a damn handsome he helped you and that's what counts.

"My pleasure." He says before vanishing with another magic circle. Leaving you alone in the street.

You scratch your head. This was a long day, better to follow his advice and go home.

However you are halfway to your house when you hear a strange sound. You stop and concentrate. There, again! It's faint but you think it's a scream.

A woman's scream.

Life is never easy, uh?

What do you do?
    [] Find out the cause.
    [] Ignore it and go home. (Compassion check. Depending on the rolls: -1w, +1 Limit)
    ----

Personal: 14/17
    Peripheral: 33/40

Willpower: 8/8

10. overmind

overmind Ruler of the Swarm

[X] Find out the cause.

11. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

[X] Find out the cause.

12. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

[X] Find out the cause.

13. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

[X] Find out the cause.
    [X] Have your cellphone ready with 911 (or the Japanese equivalent) dialed in case you need backup.
    [X] If at all possible, save the girl by grabbing her and running away. Do NOT engage unless the target is insignificant.

Remember folks, we have no mundane combat skills and using essence will draw attention that we're not ready to deal with yet. We should avoid fighting as much as possible until we have some EXP sunk into kung-fu.

14. Carrnage

Carrnage Well worn.

[X] Find out the cause.

also we really need to get social charms in order to mitigate our limit.

15. P_D

P_D Know what you're doing yet?

[X] Find out the cause.

16. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

[X] Find out the cause.

17. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

[X] Find out the cause.

Lets score ourselves some Limit!

Did we finally spend our BP or are we actually entering another situation without any thing but our starting skills?

Also, while I'd agree that this isn't an ideal situation for combat, unless this is anything supernatural we are actually pretty much undefeatable even with our rather shitty combat stats.
    We have a DV of 4 plus any stunts and a mortal actually has to be pretty much a real professional at beatin the shit out of people to even have combat dicepool of 6 and be signficantly talented to have more than that, which means it's exceedingly unlikely that they'll be able to hit us at all.
    With Monkey-Leap Technique we can also basically trivially ensure that we are never surrounded and due to this being Japan, they won't have any projectile weapons either.
    Essentially this means we can more or less trivially prevent ourselves from taking damage without spending any motes whatsoever and can therefor simply use our Personal Motepool for Monkey Leap Technique and emergency Charms, while we simply use stunts to enhance our attacks and, after filling up our motepool again, recover any Willpower we use to help us hit them.

Well and if it is something supernatural we can possibly get by with Boosted Gear and spending all our other motes on our Soak Charms.
    Not ideal, but most likely doable unless it's something of a higher level.

18. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Boosted Gear is unusable. We don't know how to pull it out yet.

19. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Raising Occult would be likely to change that though.
    Though now that I think about it, that might require Lore instead.

20. Drakebane

Drakebane Well worn.

[X] Find out the cause.

21. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

So is anyone going to vote for going in with some kind of preparation instead of charging in like a dumbass?

22. MHLord

MHLord Why hello there.

[X] Find out the cause.

23. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

I already outlined why calling 911 isn't necessary if it's mortals and if it isn't it is simply not viable.
    Deciding on a way to deal with it before we have any idea what's going on isn't particularly sensible either and there's not much in the regards to preperation to do.
    Well apart from maybe already activating Monkey Leap Technique, though I'm reasonably sure sprinting is still faster at this point though if Alex confirms that we wouldn't have to reactivate it upon arrival anyways, I can be convinced to bother with it.

24. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

We need to make a compassion check just to not investigate, that means we're already highly concerned regardless of whether we know what's going on or not. Going in prepared for the worst-case scenario of a girl being assaulted by multiple thugs or something like that is only good sense.

25. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

There is nothing signficant we can to do to prepare.
    Calling the police for backup is entirely unnecessary since it is literally impossible for thugs to touch us regardless of their numbers.
    And deciding on a course of action before we see what's going on is still a bad idea.
    Both of your additions are at best unnecessary and at worst actively harmful.

26. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I'll believe that when I see the way the dice fall. Also you're assuming for some reason that we want to get into a fight in the first place. It's better to be ready to disarm the situation without throwing a single punch if at all possible, therefore we should have a significant threat ready to scare them off instead.

There is no possible harm in having a plan of action in mind. If it's wrong we discard it, if it's right we get an initiative bonus and act immediately. Remember that Issei is still a kid who is unused to violence and he's likely to freeze up if challenged directly.

27. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

This has nothing to do with how the dice fall.
    Even if they roll nothing but successes, as mortals they literally can not get past our unmodified DV unless they are some of the best martial artists (or weapon users) in Japan.
    And should it ever happen that we do suffer from DV penalties, don't bother to stunt and they roll incredibly lucky at the same time, we can just no-sell it by paying less motes than we recover with every two dice stunt.

The plan of action is to check what the hell is going on and act accordingly.
    This is the best plan of action possible because unlike every other plan it does not rely on stuff we have no idea of.
    Comitting to anything else is just nonesense.
    And as a Solar Exalted we are not affected by penalties to things we have no idea how to do, which makes the fact that Issei has never been in combat before irrelevant.

28. Selias

Selias Well worn.

[X] Find out the cause.

29. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

[X]Find out the Cause.
    -[X]The Scream pierces the air and your heart. You body is moving almost before you consciously recognize it. Heart ,pounding , ears twitching, and eyes seeking as you bound and fly over the terrain like a golden comet. You kick of a fire hydrant to make a turn, bound over a mailbox to keep , and hone in on the woman's destress like a Bloodhound. You body can allow nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  30. protoss16

protoss16 Know what you're doing yet?

[X] Find out the cause.
    So the dragon shot is going to be rolled from dexreity+athelitics?