1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I will become God-Harem King of the World! [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I think it should be Perception + Occult. There isn't really any physical effort exerted in launching the thing, it's a sphere of magical energy that you push in "that direction." Aiming it should be a matter of shaping it properly and projecting it properly; Occult because it's magical energy of course, and then perception to aim it and acquire the exact vector you want.

2. Happerry

Happerry The Song to the Flame

[X] Find out the cause.

You can think that, but the closest charm in the game to that kind of energy bolt attack doesn't use that pool.

3. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

And it doesn't make a lick of sense. Seriously, what the hell does archery and athletics have to do with throwing fireballs? Sorcery spells use Occult plus one of the mental attributes; a cursory glance at the core rulebook gives me Shards of Obsidian Butterflies being Occult + Perception, and I'm reasonably sure Thunder Wolf's Howl is powered by Occult + Intelligence.

4. protoss16

protoss16 Know what you're doing yet?

Personally I think dexretity+athletics suits issei, also it should be directly tied to overdrive mote pool.

5. Happerry

See, there's your first mistake. You're comparing it to sorcery. You know, the thing with a casting time of 'sit there and chant for a minute while hoping no one stabs you' verses the 'I instantly throw a fireball' power of charms. Which don't run off perception.

All attacks/weapons, and this is effectively a charm that lets you make a special kind of attack/weapon (IE, energy bolts), function of a dicepool of Dexterity+Relevant Ability+Weapon Bonuses.

I'm not really sure why Athletic is a relevant ability for Elemental Bolt Attack, but questioning the use of dexterity is just stupid because their isn't a single normal attack in the game that I am aware of that doesn't use it. (Archery, on the other hand, makes it easily because, well, that's what you use for ranged weapons, from bows to ship mounted siege scale deathrays.)

But comparing any charm or charm equivalent to sorcery actions is silly because the two are different systems. And beyond that, looking at spells that have an area of effect of '30 yards wide, 100 yards long, 10 yards high, starting at the caster' for Death of Obsidian Butterflies (I assume you mean this one, as there is no 'shards of obsidian butterflies'), and 'An area 20 yards across, within 100 yards of the sorcerer' for Thunder Wolf's Howl and claiming that they should work the same way a single targetish energy bolt is even more silly.

6. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

It's not what you use for thrown weapons though, which are also ranged. Archery doesn't measure your ability to use ranged weapons, it measures your ability to use a specific set of weapons clustered together into a single ability. Dragon Shot is not a weapon, it is a spell, therefore it is utterly nonsensical that its accuracy would be measured based on a person's skill with archery.

7. Happerry

..I have no idea where you are getting your info because its wrong.

Page 145, Core Book.
    "Attack Roll: The attacker’s player rolls (Dexterity + the Ability that governs the method of attack used—Archery, Martial Arts, Melee or Thrown) at diffi culty 1, subject to the usual order of modifi ers (see table on p. 124)."

In other words, Yes, you do use Dexterity for throwing weapons.

Archery is the skill used for weapons that use a projectile to attack, and the charm uses a projectile to attack. That fits. Personally I'm of the opinion that you should be able to use Archery or Thrown, but I didn't write Elemental Bolt Attack.

Meanwhile, you're still calling it a spell when it isn't. Spells are Sorcery, which run off different systems then normal attacks. Bolt abilities such as typical shonen energy blasts are the equivalent of Charms, which use the normal Stat+ability spread for their functions. And the normal stat+ability combo for ranged attacks is Dexterity+(Thrown/Archery). So one of those two was going to be chosen, and for whatever reason Archery was the one that got the finger.

For informative purposes, the Occult skill doesn't actually have anything directly to do with someone's skill at using magic (Though Occult charms tend in the metamagic direction), but is instead 'knowledge of and familiarity with all forms of magic'. In other words, it's the academic skill for being able to explain how things work, not the skill that says how good you are at throwing giant fireballs at people.

This directly matters for Sorcery because in exalted Sorcery is the equivalent of booting up the root command counsel of the universe and manually coding in what you want to happen. When you are doing that, theoretical knowledge of how things work matters a lot.

For the equivalent of double clicking the execute button on the shiny GUI that charms are, it doesn't matter a bit. You now have an energy blast, and its your ranged attack skill and dexterity that, like all other ranged attack spells, determines how good you are at attacking with it. (And while we're running off Elemental Bolt, its how much raw energy you pump into it that determines how powerful it is anyway, where the attack roll is just how good you are at hitting the other guy with it.)

Edit : Wait, on rereading your post I think I accidentally misread it as you claiming thrown attacks didn't use Dexterity, and it looks like you're just pointing out that the throwing skill exists too.

The difference between Throwing and Archery is that Throwing deals with weapons that are projectiles in and off themselves, where Archery deals with weapons that use projectiles. I'd guess Elemental Bolt Attack got lumped into archery because it's a charm that generates projectiles, which is much like a normal energy gun that you feed energy into to get projectiles, but I already mentioned that if I was houseruling it I wouldn't have any issue with letting people use Thrown, so if you were saying that people should be able to use Thrown if they want to I can't disagree.

8. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

You completely miss my point. If archery were just a skill you used to measure you ability with all ranged attacks there wouldn't be a Thrown ability. Dexterity measures your ability to aim, while archery only measures your ability to use a specific set of ranged weapons which Dragon Shot does not fall into by virtue of being a bigass fucking fireball made of magic and not a weapon.

It is. That's what it is in the native setting. Same as Dress Break, same as Bilingual. I'm not going to convert it over to the sorcery system and make it some stupidly unwieldy ritual spell when DxD sorcery is vastly superior to Exalted sorcery when it comes to being useful in combat.

Bingo.

9. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

[X]Find out the Cause.

10. Threadmarks: Genesis - Part 5
    Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

[X] Find out the Cause.
    ----

Since you were a kid you were always ready to help those in need. A kid scraping his knee? You piggy-backed him to the nearest adult. A group of older boys bullying a younger one? You defended him (read: you were beat up in his place). Your mother needed help with house chores? You sacrificed your playing time to help her. This trait is even more prominent when the one needing help is a girl. Even more if she's pretty.

So obviously the moment you even get an inkling of a female in danger you jump into the fray without a second thought.

You run through the web of dark alleyways, the type where in a film the serial killer usually ambush and butcher his preys. Your heart is pounding, the surge of adrenaline from before coming back full force, your ears twitch and your eyes seek for the most minute trace as you run as a speed you didn't know you were capable of. When the road abruptly shift to the right you don't slow down but jump on the wall to your left and jump again horizontally, changing course with the bare minimum of slowing down. When you reach a fence you do a somersault, soaring above it and using a trashcan as land point: it bends forward as predicted and you use it to start running again. Parkour sure is useful.

You almost trip. You don't know parkour: sure you know what it is and saw a video once, but how can you suddenly do it almost flawlessly?

"Aah! Who care!?" This isn't important right now. You hear another scream, more subdued this time. You turn left and finally find what you were searching for. The sight makes your blood burning.

Six thugs, you use the term loosely because their clothes are so filthy they look like hobos, are surrounding a girl: her back against the wall, she looks absolutely frightened, even with her long, brown hair styled in multiple drill-like curls framing a lovely face and her...her...

Holy shit those oppai are huge!!

...What the hell are you thinking? She's in danger: ogle her later, save her now!

"Stop right there you bastards!" You shout, finger pointed in a pose you hope it's intimidating. "Step away from her!"

They turn and stare at you before snickering. "Are you seeing this my friends?" One of them says. "We have a wannabe hero here."

"Go home kid." Another growls. "It's better for your health this way."

"As if!" You reply and start advancing towards the nearer one, fist reared back. The thug just snickers louder and holds his muscled chest out, as if daring you to strike.

The smugness is driven out of him, along with all the air in his lungs, when he folds over your fist like a castle of cards before being slammed against the wall. He fumbles for an instant before falling on his kneels and emptying his stomach.

Did...did you just do that? You look at your fist in astonishment: since when are you so strong?

The remaining thugs, and the girl, stare in astonishment before a heavy tattooed one snarls "You little bitch!" and tries to punch you. You dodge, but in doing so you find yourself surrounded on all sides by the other men, now wielding chains and knifes they took out from their jacket. The one who rushed at you picks up a steel pipe and swings it menacingly.

"You're dead!"

"Been there, done that. Your turn this time." You answer back with false bravado. But you can't just change blindly. You need a plan.

What do you do?

[] Attack with your fists!
    -[] Stunt: (Write-in)
    [] Find a weapon or something!
    [] Run with the girl. But how?
    [] "Brat! Use my power!"
    ----

Personal: 14/17
    Peripheral: 33/40

Willpower: 8/8
    ----

OOC: Issei's (Strength+Athletics) is 3, meaning he can lift 250 lbs (roughly 100 kg). Channeling his Compassion can bring that to 8 lbs, where he can lift a full grown horse. Such is the difference between a normal human and an Exalted.

P.S.: I read Elemental Bolt Attack. It's perfect, especially the various elemental attacks, but can a Solar learn a Dragon-Blooded Charms? I know some Martial Arts are accessible to different Exalted, but I found nothing about Charms.

Alternately, what it takes to create a new Charms taking EBA as basis?

11. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Fuck yeah, fightin time.
    [X] Run with the girl. Goad the thugs into attacking you and dodge around them to reach the girl when they take a swing at you. Sweep the girl off her feet and carry her bridal style, then leap up to a handy fire escape ladder that's just over her head. Use Monkey Leap if necessary.

Once the girl is out of the way:

[X] Attack with your fists.
    -[X] Good, those fuckers' attention are onto you now. You grinned ferociously at them, intimidating them with your false (?) bravado. "Come get me if you can!" you yelled at them, as you rushed at the nearest thug, dodging his unskilled punch, and stepped on his shoulders. As he straightened himself in surprise, you used him as a spring board and launched yourself at the wall, before kicking yourself from the wall. Like a meteor falling, you introduced the heavily tattooed thug to your fist before he could react.

accounsfw93 likes this.
  12. John At Dawn

John At Dawn Seeker of Answers

*faceplam*

There's the Issei we all know and utterly despise love are on speaking terms with.

13. protoss16

protoss16 Know what you're doing yet?

-use performance to make it look good
    [X] Run with the girl. Goad the thugs into attacking you and dodge around them to reach the girl when they take a swing at you. Sweep the girl off her feet and carry her bridal style, then leap up to a handy fire escape ladder that's just over her head. Use Monkey Leap if necessary.
    --[X] Then, once the girl is safely out of danger, deal with the thugs if you want.

14. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Not now Ddraig, priority one is getting the girl out safely. Even if we're super kung-fu man she's still just an extra and therefore a potential hostage.

Once the girl is out of the way:

-[X] Good, those fuckers' attention are onto you now. You grinned ferociously at them, intimidating them with your false (?) bravado. "Come get me if you can!" you yelled at them, as you rushed at the nearest thug, dodging his unskilled punch, and stepped on his shoulders. As he straightened himself in surprise, you used him as a spring board and launched yourself at the wall, before kicking yourself from the wall. Like a meteor falling, you introduced the heavily tattooed thug to your fist before he could react.

No, those are unique to each splat unless the Solar is an Eclipse. Channeling the sun's light into forming a projectile is something several charms do already but they depend on having skill with thrown or melee attacks. A Solar fireball would be much more powerful than the Dragonblood equivalent in any event because Solar charms are awesomesauce.

15. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

[X] Run with the girl. Goad the thugs into attacking you, then dodge around them when they take a swing at you, grab the girl bridal style and leap up to a handy fire escape ladder that's just above you. Use Monkey Leap if necessary.
    -[X] Then, once the girl is safely out of danger, deal with the thugs if you want.

16. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

When we get to deal with them thugs, will you vote for my initial fighting vote?

17. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Consider it done.

18. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Nope.

Dragonblooded Charms are Dragonblooded Charms and we're not a RAW Eclipse, so we can't learn them.

Martial Arts are a different matter entirely and as a Solar, we can learn all three tiers (Terrestrial, Celestial, and Sidereal), although we'd need a tutor for the highest levels of Martial Arts.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  19. Happerry

Solars can not learn other people's charms, no. (Please ignore the stupidity of the eclipse anima)

But Elemental Bolt Attack is the closest thing in the game to a typical Shonen energy blast type attack, so when making a typical shonen energy blast attack, the obvious thing is to work off of it.

Just taking it and making up a solar version isn't anything anyone should cry foul about, because it is the easiest way to make something appropriate.

And yet Archery is the skill you use for every other weapon that shoots bigass fireballs at people. :Eyes firewands, Essence Cannons, First Age Siege Weapons:

Archery and Thrown are the two ranged attack skills. It's going to fall under one of them, because it's a ranged attack. Complaining about how the system works isn't going to change that. And for whatever reason, the developers chose archery for the charm most like that kind of energy blast in exalted.

Occult, the academic skill for your academic knowledge of how magic works in general, was never and will never be in the running.
    Then stop calling it a spell, because it would be a charm in Exalted. Spells are sorcery, and it isn't sorcery.

And a charm doesn't use strange combinations of Perception+Occult to do attacks.

20. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

For using weapons that throw fireballs at people, yes. Making the fireball yourself with your own essence and willpower is another matter entirely.

There is an enormous difference in execution between pointing a weapon at someone and pulling a trigger or drawing a bowstring compared to drawing out your essence, crafting it into a physical construct, and launching it at a target. They use entirely different skill sets; one is weapon usage, the other is magic. Why is this rocket science to you?

Yeah actually they do. Mind-Hand Manipulation uses Willpower + Occult.

21. Mu-Sensei

Mu-Sensei No Work, No Life.

--[X] Then, once the girl is safely out of danger...
    ---[X] Good, those fuckers' attention are onto you now. You grinned ferociously at them, intimidating them with your false (?) bravado. "Come get me if you can!" you yelled at them, as you rushed at the nearest thug, dodging his unskilled punch, and stepped on his shoulders. As he straightened himself in surprise, you used him as a spring board and launched yourself at the wall, before kicking yourself from the wall. Like a meteor falling, you introduced the heavily tattooed thug to your fist before he could react.

Yeah, combined Protoss and KingLugia's plan. Seems like a good combo.

22. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Other people getting credit for my plans is going to be a running gag while I'm here, isn't it? :'(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  23. Happerry

And there is also an enormous difference between catapults, crossbows, firewands, slings, and essence cannons. Yet they all use Archery. Some are magic. That doesn't mean that Archery isn't what you use for them.

Archery and Thrown are the two ranged attack skills. If it doesn't fall under one, it will fall under another. Your dislike of that fact does not change it. It doesn't matter if they're made from fire, metal, wood, or crystallized sunlight, those are the skills for ranged weapons.

Huh, okay, I forgot that one.

24. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Here's a simple question : does the attack automatically aim itself at the designated target ? If no, then you need Archery in order to AIM it at all.

--[X] Then, once the girl is safely out of danger...
    ---[X] Good, those fuckers' attention are onto you now. You grinned ferociously at them, intimidating them with your false (?) bravado. "Come get me if you can!" you yelled at them, as you rushed at the nearest thug, dodging his unskilled punch, and stepped on his shoulders. As he straightened himself in surprise, you used him as a spring board and launched yourself at the wall, before kicking yourself from the wall. Like a meteor falling, you introduced the heavily tattooed thug to your fist before he could react.

25. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

See the previous discussion on Archery vs Thrown weapons. Also there's the matter of Dexterity + Athletics being a valid alternate calculation for Elemental Bolt Attack, and other ranged attacks like MHM use other combinations of abilities and attributes. I maintain that combining Occult with some other trait makes the most sense for an attack which is formed and wielded entirely through essence use.

26. Alexander

While I am writing the post (I'm on a roll!) there are two point I would like to address:

-Happerry and Smuthunter: please stop your argument. You can either: A) Continue it on PM or B) Wait until the opportunity to learn such a Charm present itself. Because for now it's all theoretical.
    -Combined Protoss and KingLugia's plan was Smuthunter's idea. Thus all of three will be mentioned.

27. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

Darn I'm late. We won't suffer any penalty from getting her out of the way and then fighting will we?

28. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Occult covers Essence Manipulation ?

29. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Yep, definitely a running gag.

"Run and get her to safety, then fight if you feel like it" was my idea. Protoss edited his vote to coincide with mine, then I added Kinglugia's fighting stunt.

30. Alexander

Ack, sorry :p.