1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I will become God-Harem King of the World! [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, Jan 23, 2014.

1. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

Significantly easier then that as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Corvus 501 likes this.
  2. Dimensionist

Dimensionist Grand Master of Apologism, Keeper of the Faith

You're misunderstanding me - I'm asking why we need to approach this job from the Exalted side.

You're continuously making assumptions using Exalted mechanics, which was my whole point here. Everything you're arguing is on the basis of 'this is how hard it is in Exalted, meaning this is how hard it will be here'. Thing is, we're not in Creation, and there are different settings (settings, multiple, given there are factions from Kekkaishi, Nurarihyon no Mago, etc. here as well), who have different rules and difficulties, and Alex's already told us that we can do this (you yourself admit that you were assuming it wouldn't be possible before Alex said it was). Moreover, you're expecting a level of difficulty in doing this commensurate with how difficult it is in Exalted. We can approach this task from a different perspective, combining Bright's knowledge with that of others in the setting, and the natural inclination Issei has to magic and artifact creation which translates to other settings.

tl;dr - there are other settings involved here, and you're ignoring them. Stop looking at this through the lens of just Exalted mechanics, and start thinking about how things can be done by using the magic and mechanics of other settings as well.

3. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

Yes but what setting mechanics can our character access? He doesn't know any sorcerer spells that we might learn from the Devils nor an idea of their mechanics, so he can't even be sure he could make an artifact with them that would suit this guy's needs. We do have full access to Exalted mechanics, but as the person more versed in me said the requirements are simply to high to make it within this guy's lifetime, let alone soon.

Better to social-fu something & not promise something we can't deliver(for quite a while).

[X] "But Mil-tan, a magical girl's power has to come from her love and compassion, remember? If I gave you magic it would just be normal magic, not magical girl magic. And I don't know any fairies or talking cats (NEVER EVER MENTION KONEKO) who might be able to help. But you already have the heart of a magical girl just by wanting to fight for love and justice, so you already have all the important stuff!"

4. fitzgerald

fitzgerald Experienced.

Even from Exalted Mechanics the easy answer to build a Magical Girl via Spirit Charms

5. Dimensionist

Actually, we already have access to Devil Magic, and the Evil Piece system is an existing example of their magic being capable of things like this. We can very much accomplish it in months to a year, given access to info from the higher ups.

We also have access to the Abe house, and through that the other youkai and onmyoji clans - the onmyoji who specialize in the summoning and binding of demons/youkai. Bind a kitsune spirit/essence to Mil-tan, and you've got a possible shapeshifter ability infusion. Which isn't an actual thing, just giving an example that could work.

We very much have an opportunity of helping Mil-tan out, and Issei's compassion is such that he should feel the desire to help anyway. Besides, we'd be telling[/i[ the guy it'll take time, and saying it might not work anyway. Much nicer than bullshitting him and hoping to coast by on social charms/abilities.

6. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Because all of our powers either stem from Exalted mechanics or else are converted into them when we acquire them. Boosted Gear enhances our mote pool instead of giving its canon abilities, our devil magic gets ported into charms, etc. This is rather like saying "devil magic isn't Exalted magic so it shouldn't use resources from our mote pool." Sorry but it does, that's the way the quest works.

Never heard of any of those shows and I think you're making assumptions in any event, like the guy who assumed the historical society was a Campione crossover.

"Possible" does not mean "easy" or "trivial" or "can be accomplished with a year of work at the most." Even with access to the original notes there will be things we need to invent ourselves, for example removing the reincarnation aspect so we give people magic without turning them into devils.

7. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Haven't watched Kekkaishi in years, though the only thing that I can remember about it is Barrier Hax.

8. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

They are not sharp enough. It's more efficient to just bash the opponent.

You're right, if you try to create a new type of Exaltation then you're bound to failure.

However, Evil Pieces are not Exaltations. They are powerful shaping artifact that change a person's race into another and make it a hybrid. If you want Issei to make its own version that give people powers of Exalted origin, then yes it's a massive, Legendary endeavor: because you will need to give them the ability to warp reality just like Issei's Exaltation does. On the other hand, making them work on DxD physics is much more easier.

Mass producing Artifacts? Yes, I shudder imagining what kind of facilities and resources are needed to do that.

In short:
    -Making an Artifact version of the Evil Pieces? Give up at the possibility of seeing it in a reasonable timeframe (I am talking about centuries here).
    -Using Solar! Bullshit to build an altered version to give people DxD-native superpowers. Doable.

I repeat: only Issei is working on Exalted physics. In regard to crafting: any crafting endeavor where abilities native to Exalted are given to objects (in short: making objects from Exalted or giving abilities from them) requires following Exalted rules.
    Instead, if the abilities are native from DxD, it follows DxD physics.
    In truth the Devil Magic Issei learned (Fireball and Shield) didn't get ported into Charms: I put them under DxD Magic for a reason. Not everything Issei learns is going to get translated into a Charm.

True, I didn't say easy. Especially if Issei tries to do it alone.

9. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Thank you! Now we can finally stop arguing about it.

10. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Hey Alex!
    Can you humor me for a moment?
    If we somehow ended up having to fight a traditional Kekkaishi, how strong is their 3-step Barrier attack? As in can we survive it or get killed by it?
    I meant as in the (Lock-on, Barrier-up, Exterminate) kind of barrier.
    ...I need to re watch the anime :'(

11. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

I didn't think it was a Champione crossover. I wondered whether Godou and the other God-Slayers would somehow be translated into the DxD Setting, for example by changing their authorities into Sacred Gears, or making them Magic users of some Kind. In fact, I am pretty sure it is a Champione cross, just with all the parts taken out that wouldn't work with DxD. (Like killing gods and gaining their powers.) Characters from the other settings (Like Lilianna from Champione, or Yura Keikain from Nurarihyon no Mago.) may very well exist unless the GM says otherwise, but with their abilities adapted to the DxD setting if they aren't compatible.

12. Dimensionist

Er, no they don't.

Okay.
    Not really, no. Unless Fireball has suddenly become an Exalted charm, Devil magic is Devil magic, with the mechanics of Devil magic - we're just better at developing it because, well, Twilight Caste.

No it doesn't. I got ninja'd by Alexander, but you see my point about making assumptions?

Basically, you persisted in making assumptions about how we'd have to approach these quests from the Exalted side. Thankfully, the GM's told us straight out how things are, so ...

13. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Speak for yourself. He also confirmed that this isn't going to be a trivial thing you can just crank out in a few months of work. Again, doable does not mean easy.

14. Dimensionist

I seem to have missed the part where I said 'yes, it will be easy'. Also:

Remember my talk of getting access to the people responsible for the Evil Piece system, the way Issei did in canon? Or getting access to the other crossed over settings and differing spell systems of the onmyoji, kekkaishi and youkai? Issei isn't going to be doing this alone.

You'll also realize I didn't say 'Okay, Mil-tan, I'll fulfill your wish in a jiffy'. I said, and I quote:

We're not going to lead him on, we're not going to bullshit him. The option I support involves offering to help him out, and work on something revolutionary in the process as well. Staying true to Issei's compassionate nature, coupled with a Twilight Caste's researching ability.

15. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Right here.

Note that Pipeman is underselling the difficulty of doing this by saying we might be able to start on it at Essence 5. Even with Alexander's modifications I would be amazed if we could start on this sooner than that and have any realistic expectation of success. Remember, it's not just any random scientist whose work we're trying to copy, it's Demon King Ajuka Freaking Beelzebub, the number one devil scientist of the last few thousand years, and even he is still learning new things about his own work what with the mutation pieces and all.

Remember what I said about that only being so much help because we still need to figure out how to alter the process for our own needs?

Again, what crossed over settings? What spell systems? We have no contact with these people and no indication that they would even be inclined to help us. For that matter you're making a rather large assumption that they wouldn't oppose the creation of something like this given that magic needs to stay a secret and this is a huge potential security risk.

16. Threadmarks: Training Days I: A Very Busy Week (Part 3)
    Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

Day 3

You are not easily annoyed. But right now you can feel your temper slowly rising.

"What is the meaning of this!" You yell from the chair where you are tied to.

"Silence foul duplicate!" The guy with a bag over his head, with two holes for the eyes, yells back. "We will not be deceive from your lies!"

How did it come to this?

Thinking back you were having lunch under the nice shadow of a tree when a guy from another class asked your help to lift a heavy box and bring it into the football club's storage room. Being the nice guy that you are you of course helped him, only for someone to shove you into a sack the moment you let go of the box.

After being manhandled (quite roughly you want to point out) they tied you to a chair while in the sack and only then free your head.

The first fact you recognize is that you're inside a empty classroom. The second is that there are at least five guys in front of you wearing makeshift masks.

You are so tempted to ask since when your life become stuff from the Twilight Zone, but the thought it's so many kinds of wrong that you quickly banish it.

"Is this bullying? You guys got it all wrong." You tell them. "And if it is revenge for being more good-looking than you:-" One of them flinches. "-suck it up." You finish with a smirk.

"Silence!" What appear to be the leader repeats. "You will not confuse us with your alien psychic powers. Confess: what did you do to Hyodo Issei?"

"I AM Hyodo Issei." You deadpan.

"Lie! The real Hyodo is ugly,-" You bristle. "-unpopular, lustful and idiotic. I don't know what you aliens hope to accomplish by producing clones so obvious, but know that we discovered your evil plans. We will not let you replace humanity and conquer Earth!"

You stare at them as if they are crazy. Because there is no other possible explanation. "You guys think...aliens kidnapped and replaced me with a replica."

"How else you would explain such a transformation? Now tell us-"

"Enough."

"Eh?" They look confused.

"Enough of this bullshit."
    With a might push you break the rope and the sack.

"Normally I would just try to reason." You free your legs. Three of them take a step back. The other two take out other rope and a bat.

"But it so happens that my time recently is precious, because every minute I spent doing something else is a minute I could spend training to face those that want me dead."

You smile. "So let's keep this short, shall we?"

They change at you.

You raise a first.

----

"Issei-kun. Welco...me..." Akeno-sempai greets you, but trails off as she sees the five tied boys you are dragging behind you. "Uhm..."

"They thought aliens replaced me with a clone, and that it was the start of an alien invasion." You explain. "So they kidnapped me to make me confess. I kick their ass." You drop them. "I know this sound rude Himejima-sempai, but can you remove from their memories the whole matter? I want to begin our lesson quickly."

"Ara ara. Fufufu." She laughs quietly. "So it's true strange things happen around you Issei-kun." So true. "But it makes me happy that you look forward to my lessons. It makes me want to spoil you."

"Yes! Please do so!" You enthusiastically reply without thinking. Then you recognize what you're doing. You awkwardly cough. "After I resolved my problems with the Fallen Angels. I'm still too weak to be easily distracted."

"Ara ara." She pouts. My God, this woman is so damn sexy no matter what expression she shows. "I was looking forward to it. Then, I will take you on that offer Issei-kun."

"Yes!"

A Flag! A Flag! This is definitely a Flag!

----

"Toujo-san?"

"Yes, Hyodo-sempai?" The white-haired girl looks up from the book she is reading.

You scratch the back of your head. "Gremory-sempai said that you have training in martial arts." Strange considering she is so small, but as a Rook she has great strength and resistance. "This may sound strange but...can you please teach me a little?"

Why are you asking a girl your senior help in martial arts training?

Because Bright is a sadist, that's why!

She stares expressionlessly for a few seconds before nodding. "Alright." She puts down the book, stands up and falls into a stance. "Show me what you have."

You comply. For ten minutes you exchange punches and kicks with Koneko, who limits herself to merely defending.

"...I don't recognize the style." She says after you two stop. "Who taught you that?"

"A very irritating woman." You reply without an ounce of shame. "The type that leave you with two choices: either you hate her or fear her. However I cannot deny she knows what she is doing. I'm still learning though."

"...It looks effective. Very direct."

"She said it's a style developed for gladiators or something like that."

She nods. "Keep it up. Now then, we'll have another round. This time I will strike back."

That day you learn that Koneko-chan's hits are weaker than Bright, but she is not less vicious.

17. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

... are we supposed to wait for another update? Just asking since I can't tell if this is finished or not yet.

Akuma-Heika and moon so bright like this.
  18. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

It be an interlude, hon.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  19. BobTheNinja

BobTheNinja Horny Aspiring Multiversal Adventurer

Hey guys, just to be sure, is Issei's exaltation affected by the Great Curse?

I ask because I just read an Exalted/Worm quest on SB where Solar!Taylor experienced a limit break and became a merciless, sociopathic killing machine, and expressed very little remorse or horror at what she had done afterwards.

I literally cried for ten minutes after reading that scene. Seeing her become so warped was deeply upsetting and disturbing, especially since things were going relatively well for her beforehand. And some other SBers have explained that the limit breaks only get worse as Solars advance and become older.

Is Issei bound to end up the same way? Because if so, I don't think I'll be able to continue participating in this quest.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  20. Uruloki

Uruloki Getting out there.

Yep
    He's got this romantic glorious limit break - Imprudent Infatuation
    It's written right there in the Character Sheet:

Akuma-Heika and Corvus 501 like this.
  21. BobTheNinja

*blinks*

Wow...that seems a hell of a lot less disturbing than Solar!Taylor's ruthless murderbot spree.

*sigh*

Okay, I think I can work with that...probably.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  22. P_D

P_D Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, Issei's Limit Break is pretty harmless, it'll just render us useless for a week and possibly damage our relationships but we're unlikely to kill somebody because of it.

Boosted gear does have the Juggernaut Drive (unless our exaltation took it away) so it's not like we don't have a berserk mode.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  23. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

And then it gets that much more harmless since we can choose to exert control and retain our sense of self-preservation, so it's really just damaging to our relationships. And since we have a focus on social charms, any damage we can cause we can also repair fairly easily.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  24. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

No limit break is harmless. Someone willing to do suicidal actions (which are unacceptable orders in Exalted) to be with his beloved is willing to do anything else. Anything. Sure, it can be funny and amusing. It can also result in things like insane murder yandere. Things like morals, restraint, and sanity do not apply while in uncontrolled limit breaks. They are all equally horrible, just in different ways. Someone with Issei's limit break could easily wind up igniting a Creatioin spanning war in the First age, for example, while someone with Taylor's would be a very efficient and effective ruler.

Akuma-Heika and Corvus 501 like this.
  25. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

This being the key word. A good chunk of the reason the Solars went insane is because limit breaks feel really good and get addictive, according to developer statements, which is what the replenishing of Willpower after an uncontrolled break represents. If we never allow Issei to have an uncontrolled break then he'll never reach that state.

What's more, with Bright and Ddraig both riding around in our head it's possible that one or both of them might notice that something is off with either us, our soul, or our Exaltation when a break occurs. While fixing the Great Curse is too much to expect without access to Lytek, if we know that we go crazy under certain conditions then we can take precautions to mitigate the damage, such as warning Rias and company to be extremely careful around us during those periods.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  26. BobTheNinja

...*sigh* Well shit.

Let's see to it then. I seriously don't want a repeat of what happened to Solar!Taylor. That was horrifying and heartbreaking enough on its own.

Akuma-Heika, Corvus 501 and Hazardine like this.
  27. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

Personally, I think Carnal Compassion fits Issei better:
    Filled with unspeakable lusts, the character becomes incapable of divorcing Compassion from lust. He becomes sexually attracted to any being he would normally feel Compassion for, no matter how taboo such a thing would be. While he will not commit rape or sexual abuse to satisfy himself, he will stop at nothing to pursue and seduce those that arouse his lusts. He cannot take up any other endeavors until he has satisfied himself sexually, committing all he has to pursuing those he loves.

Partial Control: While the character is still overcome with lust, it does not force him into taboo sexual relationships–while he may still lust for them, he can choose not to pursue family members, children, dead lovers, and similar.

Duration: Until the character experiences an orgasm.

Limit Break Condition: The character goes a week without sexual intercourse.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  28. Dimensionist

::)

How does 'nowhere near as hard as you're making it out to be' translate to easy, when other people are talking about it taking centuries?

You mean the guy who we're likely to meet soon, if things go in this direction? Someone who'd likely be thrilled at a magician affiliated to Devils trying to develop his work further, once he realizes we actually have an advantage in these matters? Once again, you're acting like it'll take, oh, centuries to complete said work, when we'll probably complete it in less than a year if we get decent help, and in a few years without.

We have contact with Abe, and through her, the onmyouji clans and a tangential connection to various other youkai/kekkaishi clans as well. Also, they would be perfectly fine with it, so long as they could use it for themselves as well and could look for our alliance.

tl;dr - you're making it out to be a lot harder than it actually is. Unless you have some pertinent arguments beyond 'it will be hard, because I say so', when Alex has already said that while not easy, it's perfectly doable within the confines of the quest, I'm dropping this argument.

29. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

Even controlled limit breaks can screw things up really, really badly. Just not quite as badly as when controlled.

We can't see to it. We have no IC idea that there is anything wrong, and the Great Curse is, contrary to what everyone thinks, very subtle. It is not some external force that is imposed on you. It is your own traits, taken to extremes. When we are limit breaking, people are not going to go "holy shit, Issei is being controlled to act abnormal" they are going to go "wow, issei is being even more of a hormonal pervert than normal." It isn't some alien disconnected behavior that you would never do on your own. Just you. Taken up to 11. Even figuring out that there is something wrong is going to be hard as fuck. Because we have self examination charms that are pretty much perfect, and they can't detect the Curse. They can detect just about anything else that exists. Jumping into "ok, it's a curse I cannot detect that makes me do this" is metagaming of the most absurd degree possible.

30. P_D

P_D Know what you're doing yet?

...and we can probably use them to seduce whoever happens to trigger it. Though I am a bit worried if people find out that seeing girls in peril makes Issei fall in love, as they may try to seduce him by being suicidal.

My first thought was: "How is that different from canon Issei?"