1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I will become God-Harem King of the World! [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Again, need to really emphasize this because people aren't reading things properly, WE DO NOT HAVE ANY DOTS IN OCCULT. WE HAVE SHITTY ROLLS FOR MAGIC. THIS SPELL WILL FAIL AND RIAS WILL GET SKEWERED.

2. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

Alternative plan then?

3. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I changed my vote to this:

Shield doesn't appear to have an Occult roll, it's just "spend motes to reduce damage" whereas Bind uses clinching rules and needs an opposed roll against the enemy's stats to work the way we want it to.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  4. MHLord

MHLord Why hello there.

Sounds like a plan.
    [X] Get Rias out of the way while shouting a warning. Making sure you keep yourself between Rias and the weapons, cast [Shield] and activate Durability of Oak Meditation.
    -[X] If an opening is available, shoot a full-strength [Fireball] at both arms each.

5. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

[X] time seems to slow as the lances approach Rias. your essence surges into action as you use monkey leap technique to move to Rais, pick her up Bridal style and leap to out of the way. As the lances pass below the two of you your feet lash out coated in the flames of the Unconquered sun and strike the arms holding the lances setting them alight. as the stray devil screams in pain your anima banner roars into existence. As you land the Dragon coils around you as if declaring that Rias is under your protection.

6. megrisvernin

[X] Get Rias out of the way while shouting a warning. Making sure you keep yourself between Rias and the weapons, cast [Shield] and activate Durability of Oak Meditation.
    -[X] If an opening is available, shoot a full-strength [Fireball] at both arms each.

7. Mu-Sensei

Mu-Sensei No Work, No Life.

Changing my vote to

[X]silversun17

8. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

Current Tally:

BFldyq, Smuthunter, Eler0, protoss16, Malcolmo, jes, overmind, ShadowAngelBeta, MHLord, megrisvernin

Selias

Dimensionist, kinglugia, noahgab1133, Deathwings, Walkir

Larekko12

Silversun17, Mu-Sensei

Votes are still open.

9. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

[X] Tackle her out of the way. If your face ends up buried in her breasts, that's just how things go.

10. EnderofWorlds

EnderofWorlds Versed in the lewd.

[X] Around you, the world freezes. You can see the arms twitch, the spears gleam as they begin their descent to Rias' unprotected back. They are lethal, you know - they will skewer Rias without fail.

Not if you can help it.

You take all this in well before the arms have made any headway. You shout, alerting Rias of the danger, and intercept the attack. The spears are sharp, long and thin - not easy to handle when they're already moving.

But they don't have to be moving, do they?

You dash in between Rias and the arms. They're targeting Rias, and so it is child's play for someone of your level of skill to do this.

"Bind." You call out, dashing to the arms and touching them, activating the attack. The arms freeze, captured by your magic, and you use the opportunity to pounce, smashing the spears out of it's reach with your full power. No one will hurt your friends and allies while you're around, especially not such a beautiful girl like Rias!

11. another advent

another advent Not too sore, are you?

[X] Around you, the world freezes. You can see the arms twitch, the spears gleam as they begin their descent to Rias' unprotected back. They are lethal, you know - they will skewer Rias without fail.

Not if you can help it.

You take all this in well before the arms have made any headway. You shout, alerting Rias of the danger, and intercept the attack. The spears are sharp, long and thin - not easy to handle when they're already moving.

You dash in between Rias and the arms. They're targeting Rias, and so it is child's play for someone of your level of skill to do this.

"Bind." You call out, dashing to the arms and touching them, activating the attack. The arms freeze, captured by your magic, and you use the opportunity to pounce, smashing the spears out of it's reach with your full power. No one will hurt your friends and allies while you're around, especially not such a beautiful girl like Rias!

12. Bloodshifter

Bloodshifter The Bio-Armor Lover

Guys rewrite the stunt. Stunts are suppose to let the GM affect the story.

[Z]Around you, the world freezes. You can see the arms twitch, the spears gleam as they begin their descent to Rias' unprotected back. They are lethal, you know - they will skewer Rias without fail.

Not if you can help it.

You take all this in well before the arms have made any notable headway. You shout, alerting Rias of the danger, and attempt to intercept the attack. The spears are sharp, long and thin - not easy to handle when they're in motion.

"Bind." You call out, dashing to the arms and trying to touch them, activating the attack. No one will hurt your friends and allies while you're around, especially not such a beautiful girl like Rias!
    --------------------
    Stunts are that IN THE ACT. You must write them as if they are happening in that moment. Its the stuff three die stunts are made from.

13. cyberswordsmen

cyberswordsmen I trust you know where the happy button is?

Actually a stunt can allow you to parry lethal attacks barehanded as long as you justify how in the stunt.

The second.

14. Dimensionist

Dimensionist Grand Master of Apologism, Keeper of the Faith

We used Fireball easily enough in our fight with Dohnaseek. Why should this be different?

15. megrisvernin

Point. I'd ask Alexander is we have the same type of skill check(dice, stat requirement) for the write-in that has us use bind as we did when we used our Fireball against Dohnaseek.

16. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

pretty sure he already said that occult is only for big exalted style ritual sorcery.

actual "magic missile" style spells and stuff run off something completely different (lore?) which is why we didn't put any points in occult.

17. Dimensionist

For reference:

http://questionablequesting.com/index.php?topic=408.msg56216#msg56216

We used the Fireball spell without a roll here. It doesn't seem like we need to roll dice for using D&D spells.

18. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

We used fireball to hit a cloud of dust, not a moving target, so we didn't need a good attack roll; we stunted it into making a low-power environmental hazard. Bind is explicitly using clinch rules to maintain the hold, and clinches are maintained by opposed rolls -- our opponent's strength is guaranteed to be higher than our Occult score so it will be trivial for the spears to break loose, assuming the spell works in the first place.

I need a quote for this. Occult is the magic skill in Exalted, there isn't another one any more than there is a way to wield a sword with your Linguistics skill. Lore is for learning stuff and applying knowledge for things like finding countries on a map or deciphering dead languages, not for performing magic spells.

19. Dimensionist

Um, no, the update clearly says we used our fireballs spell to hit Dohnaseek's wings and set them on fire while he was already flying. We hit a moving target with our Fireballs spell.

Here:

20. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

So we used them on two occasions in that fight, not just the one I remembered. In that case I have no idea what the fuck is going on. With a score of Occult 0 we should be completely useless at magic. Having dots in Lore or whatever would not change that at all, and the spell has to have some kind of (attribute + ability) combo applied to it or else we just succeed automatically every time we use DxD magic, in which case it's ridiculously broken and we can just fireball everything to death forever.

21. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

Considering the boost, it's probably a Dexterity + Archery/Thrown roll, and since we don't suffer the negative penalty for untrained skills thanks to being Exalted, we rolled 5 dice, and got lucky.

22. Dimensionist

You know, it *could* just be as I said - namely, that D&D magic doesn't come under Exalted magic rules, being a separate system.

23. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

There are only two possibilities in that case: first, that there is a separate set of mechanics for the DxD magic that haven't been explained. I sincerely doubt that Alexander is using the Storyteller system for the Exalted stuff and, say, the D20 system for DxD stuff, it's needlessly complicated and entirely unnecessary when you're already in the practice of converting some things into charms under the ST system.

The other option is that DxD magic is narrative magic that doesn't require any mechanics or any check to succeed whenever we use it. This runs into the problem of being insultingly easy to abuse given that we have a "spend points to inflict damage" power as our most basic ability. If this is the case we can defeat every enemy we'll ever encounter just by throwing endless auto-hit fireballs at everything.

24. EnderofWorlds

EnderofWorlds Versed in the lewd.

I offer option 3; that a fireball under the DxD system is so fuckstupid easy that even with Occult 0 an Exalt can pull it off, because they're Exalted. Especially since Issei's exaltation involves being the best at all the majiks.

Likewise, trying for 'make the ice not move no morez' without any extra bells and whistles that it too should be fuckstupid easy. Not guaranteed to succeed, but still not something to sweat about. Granted, our attempt will probably make anyone with Occult spin in their graves at how back asswards we're going about it, but it'd get the job done.

25. Dimensionist

The second option works, and isn't as abusable as you'd think because:

- Alexander can use the existing information to decide if it hits or not, no dice rolls needed.
    - Fireballs don't do that much damage.
    - The other party isn't going to just stand there and take it.
    - Defenses exist.

And a load of other reasons. Heck, narrative *works* a lot of the time in games.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

26. Alexander

Sorry, is going on that I made a mistake.

This is a reworked version of the DxD Spells Issei used.
    Hope that now they're more balanced.

Walkir likes this.
  27. Threadmarks: Training Days I: A Very Busy Week (Part 8)
    Alexander

----

"Rias-Sempai! Look out!" You cry out as you sprint forward and put yourself between your sempai and the attack. The arms' movements are sluggish, either because this remote control isn't natural, because of the beating the Stray Devil received or both. But those spears could still hurt Rias, and that you will not allow.

You cross both arms forming a "X", a spinning magic circle over both palms forming a translucent golden wall between you and Rias.
    For good measure you also activate Durability of Oak Meditation, becoming able for an instant to shrug off even lethal attacks.
    The spears' tips bounce off the shield.

You stare. "...Seriously?" You say in a pitying tone before forming a fireball and burn both arms to a crisp.
    "Aaargh!" The monster cries out.

"How dare you attack Rias." Akeno's smile turns feral. "I was planning to toy with you a little, but I don't feel like it anymore. Disappear."

Akeno-san puts her hands towards the sky. Next instant the sky sparkles and a lightning bolt strikes down the monster. The light is so strong it blinds you. When it subsides...

Vaizor is now just fuming ashes.

"Aahh..." Rias seems still shaken by the surprise attack. "Thank you Issei-kun."

"I am supposed to protect you, aren't I?" You smile. "Not that I wouldn't do it even if that wasn't case: Rias-sempai deserves this and much more."

"Thank you Issei-kun." She smiles, a faint blush on her face. She sighs. "To be caught by surprise by such a low-class opponent...Let it be a lesson of humility. Let's go home everybody, we're done here."

As you walk away from the mansion Kiba stays behind and continues the explanation about Evil Pieces.

Beside the Knight and the Rook there are other three pieces: Bishop, Queen and Pawn.

Bishops are granted great magical power.

Queens are the strongest Piece beside the King: they combine all the Traits of [Knight], [Bishop], and [Rook].

And, last, the Pawns: they don't have a special Trait, but have the ability, once they enter what their King acknowledges as "enemy's territory", to "promote" into one of the other Pieces beside the King. In short, they're versatile.

Akeno is Rias' Queen. Currently she doesn't have Pawns. There is a Bishop, but it's currently away, doing a different job because of circumstances.

When you reach an intersection you stop. "This is where we part ways. See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow. Go home and rest Issei-kun." Rias waves at you.

"Rest? No can do. I need to train." You roll your shoulder. "Beside, I rested two days ago: I have a little bit of juice left and I don't want to waste it."

Rias's hand stops and her eyes widen, an action mirrored by the others. "Train? Rested two days ago? I thought it was strange...Issei-kun, can I ask exactly what kind of training you are doing?"

"Uh? Well, there is the magical training with Akeno-sempai,-" You count on your fingers. "martial arts training with Koneko-chan and my sensei, studying English, stamina training, etiquette training, going around doing good deeds..." You do a quick count. "Give and take, 110 hours of various training excluding school."

Their eyes widen as they do the math. "Issei-kun," Kiba breaths out. "when do you sleep?"

"Four hours every three days." You steal a glance at your watch. "I'm late! See ya guys!" You scurry away.

"...."

Surprisingly it's Koneko who break the silence. "....Surprisingly dedicate."

"If this is his Sacred Gear yet again, it's the most cheating one I have ever see." Kiba adds his two cents.

"Ara ara. Ufufu. What great stamina. I wonder if this applies even to other...activities." Akeno smiles lecherously.

"I will make him part of my peerage." Rias reaffirms her purpose.
    ----

+ 2 Xp for saving the damsel in distress (not really, but sure let's roll with that)

28. megrisvernin

Is training Ruby & Yang in there(if omitted)?

29. Alexander

He has yet to start it, so yes it's an omission.

30. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Oh, this update was amusing. Are we supposed to post for something now?