1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I will become God-Harem King of the World! [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, Jan 23, 2014.

1. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

wait wait wait. we are looking at totally the wrong flaws.

GM posted those because they might apply to us, so lets have a look at the one we are already planning on taking.

Sound like Ruby?

I admit, "the beginning of each session" is kinda vague in a quest, and a 4 in 6 chance of fucking up seems pretty high. (we need two points in the flaw to buy both merits)

Edit: why the fuck am i assuming exalted using D6? it's D20, right?

4-20 chance of getting into trouble sounds totally reasonable. And it's not exactly OOC either, is it?

so long as you don't says "every update is a session" or something stupid.

it says we need an intamacy, but we should totally have "friendship" by now, right? or Student/Teacher the moment we agree to teach them?

Yang seems sensible enough that we don't need to take flaw-points for being her teacher. assuming she wants our help at all.

2. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

I think Ward-Ruby and Ward-Asia would work. one is our student the other knows little of the world and we're their primary source of support.

3. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

one point for each, so they both have a 3/20 chance of getting in trouble?

would that mean rolling two dice at the start of a "session" or rolling one, then flipping a coin to see who it was that fucked up?

I can see Asia just calling us up because she got lost and can't ask anyone for directions, or ruby getting in trouble fighting some stray devil or causing an incident with one of the other factions.

I love it when you can add a game mechanic to someone, and it barely changes their behaviour at all.

but better than "X randomly fucks shit up because dice sayso and characterizatiom be damned"

4. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

that's part of the system? ouch.

5. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

Wouldn't that make Yang our ward as well?

6. Threadmarks: Training Days II: A Not So Peaceful Month (Part 4)
    Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

[X] Silversun17's Plan (And Music)
    ----

A strong wind rips through the area. causing Yang's hair to ripple like the flames she wields in battle. As the breeze blows Yang falls into a Muay Thai stance. Her leg isn't raised, but her arm's guard is too high to be boxing. The angulation is wrong too.

"First boxing and now Muay Thai? So you studied more than one type of martial art?"

She looks surprised for a moment before shrugging. "Just those who caught my fancy. Relying on only one style makes one predictable."

Yes, but it also prevent one from reaching mastery in a field. The price of versatility you suppose. In response you fall into the most basic stance of Fist of the Daystar (something you copied from the Brass Legionnaire) and a spark of curiosity lights in Yang's eyes at your unfamiliar stance. "What style is that? I don't recognize it."

"This is a secret art no one else know about." You reply with a cocky grin. "The [Fist of the Daystar], a style made by heroes for other heroes."

"Oh? Interesting. Show it to me!" She says excited.

She only has to ask. With a flick of your left foot the remains of your jacket flies into the air disrupting Yang's view of you for a brief moment. Your right foot drives into the earth sending grass flying into the air as you accelerate towards Yang. Just before you came into range to strike her view clear and she struck forward meeting your fist with her own.

BOOM!

Grass and pebbles are blown away as fire and Solar Essence meet each other. The two of you stand there completely still for a heartbeat before both of you punch with your free hands. Blow after blow is shared in a cacophony of steel and hallowed metal, neither fighter giving any ground; punches are thrown, blocked, countered and taken as the tempo of the fight grows, the aura's of the fighters blazing with light and fire. You step to the side as a knee strike comes up and Yang spins in place dodging your answering blow, bringing her foot up in a roundhouse kick which you block with one of your gauntlets. The opening this created was seized by Yang instantly with an upper cut.

You lean back and the blow fails to connect but Yang instead grabs your collar with her hand and tears part of the garment from your body in a single movement. You leap back and watch as the your shirt turns to ash from the heat created Yang's aura. Your eyebrow raises in honest curiosity as she gives you a cheeky grin, blatantly leering at your sweat covered chest (that got a lot more ripped since your Exaltation) even as you appreciated how her sweat soaked clothes clung to every curve and contour of her body. You don't dare prolonging the appreciative glance for more than half a second, already feeling your self-control faltering.

You hear a thud and turn to see Asia lying on the ground red as a tomato while Ruby worriedly tried to wake her. Meanwhile a certain fallen angel is holding a video camera she got from somewhere, obscuring her face except for a large lecherous grin.

'Oookay. Who vote for stopping it now before we all start doing choices we will regret later?'

[I fully agree.] One vote from Ddraig.

[Do what you want.] One vote from Bright. Kinda.

"I propose we stop this here." You tell Yang, who only grin in response.

"Why, tired already?"

"Hardly: I can perform continuous heavy exertion in any kind of activity for seven hours." You grin as she gapes. "But-" You pick up the remains of your jacket and put them up, trying to hide the hole in your shirt and failing. "I prefer to go back home without being bare-chested. Since, well, I am sure this warrant an arrest."

"If you say so~!"

"...You did that on purpose, did you?"

"Maybe~....?"

As the smirks on the lips of both reach a new level of cockiness you mentally write down a new objective. Below "Make Ruby the best Heroine of Justice possible", you add the following:

"Seduce the hell out of Yang to have awesome fights and awesome sex with her"

----

After Asia regained consciousness you proceed with the long promised explanation about Sacred Gears.

"Okay, listen well please,-" You tap with a chalk on the wall where you have written 'Sacred Gears'. The girls are seated in front of you, paying attention. "Like I mentioned to Ruby-san Sacred Gears are items with powerful abilities bestowed upon humans by the God of Christianity."

Above 'Sacred Gears' you add 'God'.

"Most of the times those abilities are just unusual talents in a specific field, However, there are some that allow the wielder to use special, clearly supernatural powers."

You write 'Twilight Healing'.

"Asia's Twilight Healing for example-" You look at the nun. "Has the ability to heal the injuries of anyone, even grievous wounds. Normally most healing spells only work on members on the same species of the caster and are less effective if caster and target aren't part of the same clan, but Asia ignores all those limitations."

"That's an amazing ability!" Ruby congratulates Asia, who blushes in response. "You're great Asia!"

"Auuuh...it's nothing special..."

"No, she's right." You state with total seriousness, surprising the girls. "Your Sacred Gear is extremely rare. There are maybe two, three at most possessors of it at any given time. With enough training it's also possible to heal diseases and other various illness that are currently incurable. This is the kindest power in the world, and only someone with a heart full of genuine love is worthy of receiving it."

"Auuuh..." Asia blushes madly before beaming. "Thank you Ise-san!"

"Are Crescent Rose and Ember Celica rare too?" Ruby asks.

"Much more than rare: they're unique." They look surprised. "This is because your Sacred Gears are two of the [Magnus], the unique weapons of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse."

A second of stunned silence.

"EEEEEHHHH?!?!?"

*After a quick explanation about the Horsemen's origin*

"Wow..." Yang breaths out as she looks at her gauntlets in a new light. Beside her Ruby is doing the same with her scythe. "Who would have thought..."

"I heard stories about the Horsemen." Mittelt says aloud. "It's said that there was no-one who killed as many enemies of Heaven as them during the Great War. They spilled so much blood that they became icons of the End of the World."

"Well, that's hardly comforting..." Yang grimaces.

"Sadly many Sacred Gears have infamous reputations." You raise Boosted Gear. "Mine too. Many of the past possessors of Boosted Gear fell victims of the forbidden power sealed inside and became engine of mass destructions before having their lives consumed."

You dispel the gauntlet and cross your arms. "However, it's not the power which matter but the one who wield it. The Horsemen themselves are to blame for their sins, not their Sacred Gears. I have complete faith in Ruby-san and Yang-san-" You look them in the eyes-"That they will use their powers for a just cause."

"Yes!" Ruby puts a hand over her heart. "I swear I will redeem Crescent Rose!"

"Thanks for the trust, I think?" Yang scratches her, but by the end of it she has a huge smile on her lips.

"You're welcome." You smile before writing 'Desire' on the wall. "Sacred Gears are driven by the power of [Desire]. As the desires, thoughts, needs, and feeling of the wielder burn brightly, the Gear answers them and, as time passes, changes according to them. This way is possible for the Gear to develop new powers and configurations beside the original ones. This process is called 'creating a Sub-Species of Sacred Gear'."

"The ultimate state of activation, the final culmination of this process is called [Balance Breaker], which is the most powerful manifestation of the Sacred Gear's power. It doesn't need mentioning, but achieving it requires a lot of effort: either rigorous training, or-" You narrow your eyes. "Great stress during real combat, the type that push you to your limits. You can guess which is safer and more advisable."

"What about a mix of both?" Mittelt asks.

You think about it. "Possible: there is not a true tested method to induce Balance Breaker, so every case must be dealt with individually."

You cancel the previous drawings and write 'Power' atop a lighthouse. "Sacred Gears possessors have power. And those with power catch the attention of others with power easier than normal people. Ruby-san, Yang-san: you were lucky that until now you didn't have contacts with the Supernatural, especially since you awakened your Gears at a young age. The Three Factions of Christianity aren't the only supernatural forces in the world."

You draw a rough representation of Japan and circle it. "Japan, on par with China and other Eastern countries has a healthy population of supernatural creatures and humans with special powers. Not all power users have Sacred Gears: there are special circumstances that allow people to be born with special powers that are unrelated to Sacred Gears."

"Such as...?" Yang asks.

"Such as Psychics, or Ayakashi Majiri."

"Ayakashi...Majiri?"

"People who are half Ayakashi. Half Youkai." You clarify.

"Youkai are real?" Ruby asks in awe.

"Sure. Mittelt." You look at the fallen angel.

In response she steps down from the concrete pipes the girls are seated on, grabs the edges...

"WAAAH!?"

And lifts it up with the others still on it. "My grandmother is an Oni." She declares proudly before putting it down delicately.

Once they calm down you clean again the wall from the chalk. "Now, if you girls are death-set on entering the Supernatural World, something that will happen sooner or later anyway, you need to know what to watch out for. And, most of all-"

You write down 'Strength'.

"You will need the strength to defend yourself, those you care about and, most importantly, your ideals." You stress the point. "This may appears barbaric and anachronistic in this day and age. However, this is a completely different world, with his own set of rules. Please remember it well."

"Does this mean that we need to become better at using our Sacred Gears?" Ruby asks.

"Yes. However, your Sacred Gears aren't the only way to gain strength. This, actually, is where I can help you the most."

You write down 'Supernatural Martial Arts'.

"In Creation, the place of origin of my Exaltation, were developed many types of supernatural martial arts. I am talking about the type of martial arts that let you shoot fireballs and walk on walls. There is a symbolic image that describe them: the [Perfected Lotus of Understanding]. Supernatural Martial Arts are divided into: Terrestrial, Celestial and Sidereal."

You draw the ground and the roots growing in it.

"The mud in which the lotus grows represents mundane Martial Arts. The mud is not the lotus, but the plant would not exist without it. The Terrestrial martial arts are the Roots of the Perfected Lotus. The roots of the lotus anchor it and draw an intimate and obvious connection to mundane physical training and skills. A practitioner hits people, breaks things, grapples, throws, performs acrobatics—but in a magical way."

You draw the bulb of the Lotus. "The roots of the lotus plant converge on the plant’s bulb, from which the stem reaches out of the mud. Similarly, the lessons of Terrestrial training feed into Celestial martial arts, the Bulb of the Perfected Lotus."

Finally you draw the blossom of the Lotus. "When the lotus stem breaks the surface of the water, the plant puts forth leaves and a flower. In the Blossom of the Perfected Lotus, Sidereal martial arts transcend their source. Mud becomes perfume. The martial artist applies the lessons gained from combat to cosmic forces and abstract principles. A practitioner moves from hitting things to working godlike miracles."

The girls are drinking on your words like ambrosia.

"A simple comparison: a mundane martial arts master can split a brick and jump over a hedge; a Terrestrial martial arts master can split a boulder
    and jump over a house; a Celestial martial arts master can split a city wall and jump over a mountain; while a Sidereal martial arts master-" You grin. "can split a soul and jump to the Moon."

Their slaw-jacked expressions: simply adorable.

You circle 'Terrestrial Martial Arts'. "As a Solar Exalt I can learn Celestial Martial Arts. Normal humans can't learn them: even if they try, the likely result would be their bodies exploding. But-" You tap the new circle. "They can learn Terrestrial Martials Arts. There are many more Terrestrial Arts than Celestial and Sidereal Arts, enough to cover any preference. The use of one, together with your Sacred Gears, will give you a definite edge. You too Mittelt." The Gothic Lolita blinks in surprise. "Those Arts aren't for humans only. Do you want to learn?"

"You don't even need to ask!" She hits her left palm with the right fist. "I am not going to pass over the opportunity to spend more time with you Ise-san!"

Yang blinks teasingly at you. You resist the urge to roll your eyes and instead smile. "Very well Mittelt."

You turn to the nun. "Asia: I mean no offence, but you aren't suited for direct combat. However, you fit perfectly the role of Supporter. If you are interested, I can teach you spells and other arts that will compliment your healing abilities very well.

"Yes, please do so." Asia bashfully says. "You can count on me. I will do my best to not disappoint you!"

"Just be yourself and you will never disappoint me Asia." You chuckle before turning serious. "However, all those methods requires as a basic the same thing."

You write the word 'Essence'.

"Essence is life, breath, power—the essential, all-pervading animating energy of the world. In this world there are many names for the energy of the soul: Ki, Chakra, Youki, Demonic Power, Light Power and so on. They are similar, yet different. In Creation however they all fall under the name of Essence: there are different types as well, but they all do the same thing: breaking past the limits of the self. With Essence, things like the laws of physics become...malleable, less defined."

You sigh. "I don't know if the Arts of Creation can be learned by those with a soul's power different from Essence. Not yet at least. However, even if it's possible you girls, san Mittelt, don't have the time to learn how to harness one of the energy sources available for humans like Ki Manipulation: we are talking about years of training here. Having a Sacred Gear doesn't help, since many, yours included, don't require the wielder to supply them energy beside their own stamina. It's like a work-out: strenuous, but hardly magical."

"But you have a solution, or you wouldn't have proposed this in the first place." Yang points out.

"Yes. Yes, I do. There are Charms, special techniques that grant a normal person the power to use Essence. However,-" You narrow your eyes. "I know they worked back in Creation, but I don't know what will happen if I use them on people from here. Judging by past experiences they work the same, but I'm reticent to try them on a person without being 100% sure they will do the intended effect."

"Also,-" You shift your feet. "Even if they work, the method I plan to use isn't without consequences."

You draw a pair of eyes. Then add a third one. "Learning to feel and use Essence is like acquiring a completely new sense: doing so abruptly, without easing it with years of meditation, leave the mind..." You search for the right word. "Frailer. It's like looking up at the night sky and truly realizing for the first time just how big the universe is and how small Earth is in confront. Gaining control over the mystical energies of the world is a massive chance of prospective."

"It's permanent?" Ruby asks.

"No. However, to regain stability you will have to spend a lot of time meditating on the core points of your personality, determination and
    emotional stability. If not meditating, doing activities that reinforce your conceptions and strengthen."

"I am not forcing you to take a final decision now." You reassure them. "Take your time. In the meantime I will describe you what Arts I thought will complement you."

You cancel and start writing again. "They are..."

[] Choose a Martial Art/Thaumaturgy/Other Art or more for Asia, Yang, Ruby and Mittelt.
    ----

For Mittelt: consider her to have Essence 2 and capable of using Exalted Essence if shown how with Charms as Essence-Lending Method and Power-Awarding Prana (since magical being). Meanwhile Asia, Yang and Ruby are Essence 1 normal humans, with Essence use locked.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Metalhound93, Venris, Athain and 83 others like this.
  7. Alexander

We use a D10. And what count as a Session...either every time an Arc (those in the Index's Main Continuity) and Training Days (in the Side Continuity) begins, or at the start of every month In-Game. Which do you prefer?

8. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

I'm surprised that Issei didn't use Fist of the Daystar as an example of a CM.

9. Eler0

Eler0 Versed in the lewd.

Would a Scythe count as a spear? Because if it doesn't then I don't think there's any styles that use scythes as a form weapon.

10. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

Arc. If one drags out, I'm afraid having problems consistently comes up is a problem.

Also can we add both Ruby & Asia as a Ward?

11. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

First Pulse for Yang. Not sure for Ruby. Crane would be ideal for Asia since it's 100% defensive but it's also Celestial-tier, so let's focus more on Thaumaturgy for her. Ask Mittelt if she's ever used a weapon before, if not then suggest using staves and Ivory Pestle Style. She can make spears of light, right?

12. Eler0

Eler0 Versed in the lewd.

If we really want those merits, just take CLIMATE SENSITIVITY for extreme cold. It's unlikely to come up and we could live with a -1 penalty a lot easier than with having to constantly save our ward.

13. megrisvernin

...In fairness the game is on easy mode. Having Asia or Ruby consistently wander off & cause trouble sounds like a great way to keep things from stagnating.

Totally IC as well. Asia is literally a danger magnet & RUBY...well...she wants to impress us! And she will with the amount of headaches she can cause.

14. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Well, if this and this are good sources, I'm going to say: Terrestrial Hero (The site says that this on is water, but Yang uses fire, so I'm not sure about this one) or Path of the Arbiter for Yang, maybe Crimson Pentacle Blade (Is a scythe a polearm?) or Path of the Arbiter for Ruby, Jade Mountain (Clubs, tetsubos/sledges, and hammers/maces? This one was kind of obvious.) for Mittelt, and Alchemy or Enchantment for Asia.

Can someone with more knowledge of Exalted check my ideas, by the way?

15. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

Selias's styles sound good. Would be nice to have someone back them up through.

16. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Terrestrial Hero is only compatible with unarmed attacks, no gauntlets or any other weapons.

Path of the Arbiter has its origins in the Age of Sorrows so there's no possible way for us to know it.

Jade Mountain is a decent pick for Mittelt, but Ivory Pestle gives a lot more bang for the same investment -- it's broken as hell and could almost be a celestial martial art for what it does, and it's also compatible with clubs and tetsubos.

I know essentially nothing about thaumaturgy but alchemy seems a decent enough choice for Asia to me. Better than the arts of the dead, anyways.

17. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

here's a list of canon and fan made styles.

18. megrisvernin

Don't see the actual list.

19. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Gauntlets don't count as unarmed? They're basically just metal hands.

20. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

They don't. It's really dumb but they don't. Look a little further down the list; "fighting gauntlet" is listed as a form weapon under Solar Hero Style. Any style that doesn't have gauntlets listed isn't compatible with Yang's gauntlets.

21. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Is there some actual in-universe reason that it can't work, or is it just game rules? Alexander could just ignore it if it's the latter.

22. megrisvernin

I second that. I don't mind Alex ignoring it if there isn't a good reason.

23. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

It may just be an oversight, but some styles require specific hand movements, like Tiger and Cobra style, which gauntlets would constrain. Generally I wouldn't object to it if Alex made a house rule to that effect. I still think First Pulse is a better match for Yang than Terrestrial Hero though.

24. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Hmmm... Looking it over, teaching Yang the Terrestrial Martial Arts equivalent of the Cotton Fist might not be the best idea, since we're trying to teach them to be "heroes."

25. Alexander

Scythes don't count as spears, but they count as polearms.

I don't mind houseruling to the styles, but unless they require precise hand movements gauntlets aren't a valid option.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  26. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Terrestrial Hero mostly enhances grapples from what I remember of it, and Yang's style and artifact don't mesh well with wrestling moves so much. Looking at the Yellow trailer, Yang uses a lot of knockback and straightforward damage effects. It most closely resembles Solar Hero Style given how she flings her enemies all over the room. Presumably her sacred gear allows her to spend motes in order to make unarmed attacks at a distance like those magitech gloves from Wonders of the First Age, so grapple-boosters really won't help her much.

While First Pulse by itself isn't a great thematic fit and is kind of mediocre for 2E rules*, the capstone charm Titan of the Streets is a beast of a scene-long buff that boosts Yang's strength, stamina, wits, movement speed, and doubles knockback distance after all other modifiers are added. If we get Yang to that level and then unlock Celestial martial arts for her and Ruby, we can teach Yang Fist of the Daystar and then watch her send guys flying for multiple city blocks - or just hammer them into the pavement for a huge damage boost.

*particularly the surprise attack counters -- if a mortal gets hit with a surprise attack they're not going to live long enough to do anything about it

27. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

I thought only Exalts could use Celestial Martial Arts.

28. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

No really can someone explain how mortals can learn celestial martial arts. Cause everything I know says they can't.

29. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

Gauntlets do change how you fight. Can't use all the same grips for example.

Aint' Crimson Pentacle the Army Style for Sheild users?
    There don't seem to be alot of Good Polearm styles that fit them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  30. Selias

Selias Well worn.

We're teaching them Terrestrial Martial Arts, not Celestial Martial Arts.