1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trials of the God-Harem King [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, May 2, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

? I don't think the bold part is right. There are DV Penalty sure, but nowhere it said you can use Parry only once per turn.

Yes it uses Ki, so you can consider it a Charm-like effect. But it's still something that stand at the edge between Normal and Terrestrial Martial Arts, as seen by Exalted's view, so don't expect it to be a game-breaker.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Corvus 501 and Sol Mark-1 like this.
  2. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

Its stated that if you lose initiative you can only parry once. I could be wrong since I got it by reading through help manuals on exalted character creation advice but they where very clear on that. While we see in the manga the first fist of ragnarock being attacked and parrying easily everything thrown his way then counter attacking. Even from surprise.

3. Alexander

Are you sure you aren't reading some home-brew stuff? Because Initiative is made at the beginning, and determine who attack first and how many ticks the loser must wait.

As I see it that technique raises the Parry DV, and offer a limited protection from unexpected attacks.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  4. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Honestly, I've been thinking and reading about the Bright problem, and I think the best way to deal with it (right now) is to Limit Break Issei.

Why? One of the biggest problem with the First Age Exalted is the fact that they don't know they've been Cursed. If Issei goes on a Limit Break, then Bright might realize that there's a problem with the Exaltion. Hopefully. But since she said that UC explained the Exaltion to her, she should have more information on it.

5. P_D

P_D Know what you're doing yet?

That could work but it would require her to actively pay attention and observe Issei. Right now she seems to be so occupied with her own thing she probably wouldn't even realize something is wrong.

6. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Well, we have Ddraig to keep an eye for us, so...

7. P_D

I don't think he'd think of it as some outside force affecting Issei unless he goes completely batshit. I don't know much about Exalted metaphysics but if the curse activates or causes at least something detectable to happen when Limit Breaking I'm not sure if Ddrag could pick it up and even Bright may think it has something to do with how the Exaltation interacts with the sacred gear.

It would probably require Bright to actively pay attention to the Exaltation for her to realize that something is wrong with it, assuming she even knows how it's supposed to act.
    So the conditions for that plan to work would be:
    1. The curse is detectable.
    2. Bright notices it.
    3. Bright knows it's not supposed to do that.
    4. Bright looks into it.
    Number one is something somebody here may be able to confirm to but the rest are pretty much up to Bright.

8. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Easy, just have Issei Limit Breaks with Bright as the target. Ddraig finds it funny for the first few times, and then thinks something is wrong.
    He tells Bright, and she pounds some sense into Issei (hora hora), and then checked the Exaltation, finds Primordials' final fuck you, goes ballistic, and then fixes it. The end-hora.

9. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

It... might. From the perspective of a consciousness that is directly attached to the thing it may become visible in ways that it isn't to the Exalted who actually uses the thing. The most brilliant minds of the First Age never caught so much as a whisper of the Curse's existence -- the insidiousness of it is that it makes you act in ways that are exaggerations of your normal character traits, so nobody will look at a limit breaking character and say "he's being mind controlled by something!" instead of "wow, he's having a really bad day!"

If Bright is in a position to observe the exaltation while a limit break is occurring then she may notice something -- but then again she might not. It's possible the nature of the Exaltation itself has been altered by the curse and a limit break would just look like business as usual. Even Lytek doesn't know how to fix it after all.

10. P_D

Issei is (as far as I know) in a rather unique position in the sense that he has other people in his head so, while unlikely, it may be possible for either Bright or Ddraig to notice a sudden change in him if it causes Issei to act in a way he normally wouldn't (like falling in love with an enemy and endangering somebody he cares about), though I assume they too are connected to the Exaltation in some way as Bright came with it and it has affected Ddraig's Boosted Gear so there may be some unknowns there. Bright is also an Exalted within an Exalted which is something I'm pretty sure doesn't happen so she may be able to look at things from a completely new perspective.

The problem is how would Bright even get in a spot where we'd get limit from her. She is, after all, in Issei's head. Even if that happened, I'm pretty sure it would lead to horrible, horrible things and i'm not talking about mind fucking. I mean how one would try to win a first age Exalted's affections.

11. EternitynChaos

EternitynChaos Once there was a Maiden...

guys, lets just trust in Alexander to do this justice and stop running over the same things over and over again without any evidence please ^^;

12. P_D

This is pretty much just speculation and discussion about a plan somebody presented while waiting for an update.
    If this is all stuff that has been said before i apologize, i've been gone for a month and i haven't read anything but the actual updates.

13. Alexander

That's okay. I hope you enjoyed them.

About the subject of the Great Curse, it is a big deal so don't expect to get rid of it without doing something epic first.

The post will be out in the evening (for me). Time is running short for me for a great number of reasons.

In the meantime I would like for someone with knowledge to explain:

-The difference between Dream and Illusion (conceptually speaking)
    -The difference between Zero and Nothingness (conceptually speaking)

14. EternitynChaos

A Dream is Something Grand you Strive towards, on your own, or with others.

An Illusion is a fleeting Dream, inflicted on another, or a Sleeping Dream, Brought to the Waking World.

Zero, in my view, Zero is very much like the Wyld, it the ultimate in 'Can be something' that hasn't yet

Nothingness, on the other hand, would be Oblivion, the end, the Curtain call and the lights go out as it were.

YMMV of course, those last two in particular

15. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

I'll probably need more time to think of difference between Dream and Illusion, but Zero and Nothingness, I believe I can shed some light.

Zero, conceptually speaking, is reduced to nothingness, aka it becomes the most basic of things (insert substance here). But when you add something, it becomes Not-Zero anymore. Meaning, when something is reduced to Zero conceptually, you can add something to restore it.

However Nothingness is not nothingness. It is the void. Entropy. Ever consuming. Ever wanting something, yet will never be filled up.

To make it simple, Zero is an addition-based void, where one can make it no longer zero by putting something in it.
    But Nothingness is a multiplication-based void, where even you put something into it, it is still nothing at all.
    ...I is not good at explaining things :(

16. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Dream: Is on a conceptual Level something that is made from thoughts and ideas as much as actual Pictures. It is more deeply concerned with the subconsciousness I think than Illusion. It is also something natural, something that is inherently part of many living creatures. it also is the area of aspirations and desires, capable of moving the hearts of many to great heights. It embodies the ambitions and potential of all things.

Illusion: Is something created to trick another, or possibly oneself. It is not something true by itself, though it can be used to strengthen and exxagarate an already existing truth. Illusions can be both good and bad, for what is hope but the illusion for a better ending even if one knows that it is unlikely or even impossible for things to become better. In itself, illusions are the things that People want them to be, ignoring reality, though not necessarily fully.

Zero: It is a state. Zero is the lowest state possible, by returning something to Zero, you can make it go to the lowest Level and it doesn't have to mean nothing, but could also mean the Point of starting, or just before starting. If you conceptually returned a Punch to Zero, you would have it back to where it was before it attacked, or just when it started.

Nothingness: This is the absence of things, it is the eternal void where nothing treads, possibly capable of neutralizing all things. It may be capable of neutralizing things like momentum, energy and similar things. The nearest way to explain it would be Tohno Shiki's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception for what I mean. They erase things to the Point where their very base concepts and the things connected to them, like heat produced by a fire and such are also neutralized.

17. sworded

sworded Know what you're doing yet?

And canon comes to our rescue with Truth Shines Through an I3 E2 charm that makes the fact that the Solar is acting on UMI Obvious and that explicitly covers Limit Break due to the Great Curse. Of course it doesn't point to what is messing with their head just that something is making them act in ways different from their own desires.

18. John At Dawn

John At Dawn Seeker of Answers

Is anyone else not getting e-mails when the thread updates?

19. P_D

I did study some philosophy at one point of a bit, though english is not my first language so it's a bit hard to find the correct word for things and even then pretty much everybody has their own view of things but i'll try to explain as simply as possible.

Zero is lack of something. If you don't have something, you have zero of that thing. As an example, if you have no bottles, you have zero bottles. If you obtain a bottle, you no longer have zero bottles. Pretty simple. A state or property of a being.

Nothingness is complete lack of anything. There is no time, no space, no light, no darkness, no up, no down, no warmth, no cold, no gravity, no smell, no taste, no back, no white, no anything. There isn't a thing in nothingness. Not even zero. While it is argueable, let's also say nothing can come out of nothingness. There are no beings or properties in nothingness.

Dream can be a dream as in a wish, hope or desire or it can be something that people experienced in sleep. They come from one's own mind.

Illusion is something fake. An error in perception. Something outside is cheating senses to make them perceive something differently. Something may give you an illusion of things being differently. A lie may give you an incorrect impression [An illusion] of something. Not to be confused with hallucination.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  20. Indrik

Indrik Getting sticky.

Zero and Nothingness have received a worthy discussion, so I will limit my response to expanding upon Dream and Illusion. Understand, this is an incredibly subjective topic and interpretations have varied across the history of humanity. But I will make an assay at it.

Dream: A succession of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations. While in modern times, dreams are simply categorized as an involuntary function of the brain and said to reflect the unconscious mind, more popularly along Freudian lines, historically, the division between dreams and reality has not been so clear. The two most common concepts of dream throughout human experience have been messages/revelations from gods or spirits or the travels of the soul, or a portion of it, when it leaves the body at night. In the former case, such messages would often be interpreted as prophecy, as the art of oneiromancy, or as directions from a higher power. The latter case is equally interesting fodder, ranging from the belief that dreams were merely the sleeping experience of a soul's travels to alternate realms of existence to the waking world being an illusion (see the Hindu/Buddhist concept of Maya, the skeptical hypotheses of ontology, and the gnostic RPG Kult for different treatments of this idea) and only dreams revealing the truth of reality. This theme has in modern times inspired a great deal of speculative fiction such as the recent movie Inception, Ursula K Leguin's The Lathe of Heaven and the like where dreams can have real and lasting effects upon the waking world. There is also the animist belief of a time before time, often called the Dreaming or Dreamtime, a period of constant creation where everything was still at its base one and all things were possible as the rules of the world were not yet so fixed.

Illusion: A distortion of the senses, a distortion of reality. Ultimately, illusions are an issue of perception. The most obvious form are sensory illusions, particularly visual due to the centrality of sight to the human experience. An important distinction is the difference between a hallucination where a distortion occurs without stimulus (such as hearing voices where there is no sound) and an illusion which is misinterpretation of existing stimuli (hearing voices which are actually running water). To extend that, illusions are things that cannot stand on their own, they must depend on and build upon truths or actualities. Illusions twist things, they do not create them. This also comes into play with delusion and consensus reality, where people believe or act as if things are true that may or may not actually be so even on global scales. In the end, illusions are artifacts of the mind, imposed from within or without due to ignorance or desire, fear or necessity. They are a wish to deceive or deny things as they exist. I'd again recommend you look into the concept of Maya suggested above and perhaps the idea of augmented reality or simulated reality.

Corvus 501 likes this.
  21. Threadmarks: Training Days II: A Not So Peaceful Month (Part 33)
    Alexander

Thanks a lot for the help and the explanation guys. Your contributions will definitely be useful later in the quest.
    ----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIyNAF5rgYk

You wake up at the sound of your phone's ringtone. Fumbling through your half-asleep state you pick your cell, careful to not wake up Yang, and answer. "Moshi moshi?"

"Good morning Hyodo-kun." Azazel's cheerful voice answers back. "Playtime is over. While my deontological code is against it, I must ask that you interrupt the pillow talk and come back for more training. By the way, you've great tastes in woman: we can make a honorary Fallen Angel out of you if you want."

Your eyebrow starts twitching. "Was that an educated guess, or you're somehow monitoring me?"

"Both. You have one hour." And just like that he hangs down.

Frikking. Voyeur.

"Uh...Hi." Yang chooses that moment to wake up. "What time is it?"

"Morning." You reply as you put down the cellphone. "Azazel called: I need to go back."

"Uh..." She rubs her eyes before blinking. She looks down and grins. "Well, well...look who's also awake?"

You understand immediately. "Yang, I only have a hour.."

"More than sufficient." Her lips lock on with yours.

The more intense thirty minutes of your life.

----

As you walk inside the arena, expecting mechanical horrors birthed by mad science, you are surprised to find Beowulf waiting for you. "Hello Beowulf-san. What are you doing here?"

"Hello kid." He grins before patting the pommel of Hrunting. "This time it's a practical lesson: sparring. For the entire session it's me and you kid: Boosted Gear versus the Demon Sword Hrunting."

You blink, a grin forming on your face. "Wow, I'm honored." You simply reply.

"You better do your best, because I'm not pulling my blows." He draws his sword and assumes an European stance. "Let me tell you this: I'm good enough that I can avoid killing you without holding back even a little."

"That sounds even better! Boosted Gear!" The gauntlets form around your arms, Fists of Iron Techniques instantly strengthening them. With excitement filling your whole being you shot towards him, the song of battle calling to you.

----
    ----

"Uffh!" Beowulf wipes the sweat from his forehead. "Eight straight hours can get even to me. I gotta admit kid, your perseverance is impressive."

Sprawled on the floor you raise a trembling hand and do a thumb-up.

A few minutes later, after Asia finished to heal your wounds, you are ready to dismiss Boosted Gear when a familiar sound interrupts you.

[PING! PING!]

'That sound, isn't it..?' You ask in your mind.

{Done.} Bright, who was absent in the last two days, finally appears again. {I finished the last modifications to the Gear.}

[So that's what you were doing. You're frightening, you know that?]

{I'm competent dragon. It's completely different.}

"Wait!" You hear Azazel yell. The Fallen Angel runs next to you, eyes sparkling with excitement as he analyzes Boosted Gear with two of his instruments. "Is this one of the changes you talked about?"

"Yes, so it seems."

"Perfect! First hand data is the best. Proceed!" He commands.

Shrugging you give Bright the okay to go on.

[Evolution!]

The red metal shifts and folds into itself, leaving your arms bare save for two armlets around your wrists: they're red, smooth metal bands with four green jewels situated on the four directions.

{I created this stealth mode for you. There will be times when you can't don the full gauntlets, but with this you can still use the Artifact Charms.} She explains proudly. {This way you can keep the Gear constantly on and attuned. Changing this mode to gauntlets and back is near instantaneous and costs only one motes.}

Triple. Wow. 'This will help me immensely!' Especially against the Snake gang. 'Thank you Bright-sensei! Can you teach me how to build Artifacts like this one?'

{In due time.} You feel her smirk. {In due time.}

Why do you suddenly feel a shiver running down your spine?

"Amazing! Amazing!" Meanwhile Azazel is still like a kid in a candy store. "There was a spike of...something. I have no idea what it was. But I will find out."

Thank the Unconquered Sun he can't hear Bright.

{I'm not done anyway.} Bright interrupts your thoughts. {There is still one possible combat option I can for now. You can choose one between two of them.

The first is a Force-Projection Mode. It works by transmitting the kinetic impact across the intervening distance as an invisible pulse. This will allow you to touch and hit distant things as if you were touching them directly.

The second is an Essence Lash. It's a whip-made of pure Essence. It can also be used to strike multiple opponents at once.}

[] Force-Projection (read Wonders of the Lost Age, page 76)
    [] Essence Lash (read Wonders of the Lost Age, page 77)

----

After Azazel finishes gushing over the prowess of your Longinus he adopts a serious business tone. "Hyodo-kun. I heard you're studying to become a Magician?"

"Yes." You confirm. "I was studying Devil Magic under Himejima-sempai, but our lessons got interrupted due to the recent events."

"Uhm." He nods in understanding. "In this case, would you like to learn a bit of Fallen Angel Magic?" He grins and shows you a thumb-up. "This is an offer from one of those who founded it, mind you. Our teleportation circles are not limited to only Clan members like the Devils, and our information control spells are the best if you want to keep things under wrap. Interested?"

[] Yes
    -[] You can propose custom spells. See the guidelines on the first page of the thread.
    [] No

----

Training Days II is coming to an end. Soon will begin the Snake Arc.

22. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

[X] Essence Lash
    [X] Yes

23. noahgab1133

noahgab1133 Don't you trust me?

[X] Force-Projection

aka [​IMG]

[X] Yes

asking a twilight caste solar if they want to learn more spells

was there even any doubt XD

24. EternitynChaos

[X] Force-Projection (read Wonders of the Lost Age, page 76)
    [X] Yes

25. Eler0

Eler0 Versed in the lewd.

[X] Yes

26. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

[X] Force-Projection
    [X] Yes

Telekinesis? Yes please. (Yeah I can't really look up either of these right now so I'm basing this off of the brief description we got from the awesome author. ;)

27. Alexander

It works like this: you mimic picking up a stone, and the stone in front of you rise in the air by itself. You can punch people in the face even if they are three meters from you and even choke the life out of them.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  28. Unelemental

Unelemental Not too sore, are you?

[X] Yes
    In for an inch, in for a mile.

29. codeRR

codeRR Heroic spirit unkown

[X] Yes

30. EternitynChaos

...So You mean when I get around to writing my confrontation Between Desus Mask of Winter and Issei, I can not Only have him pull a lightsaber, have Duel of Fate playing via charm haxs but ALSO Force Choke some random Mook... thankyou so much for giving us this option Alexander this has just made my day

Also, FP lets us use Touch Attacks at Range... and we are going to learn SMA how can we pick anything else?

Ainkrad, Sol Mark-1 and Walkir like this.