• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Synopsis
Kyle woke up in a land of fantasy and magitech. The usual 'I died and woke up'...

mgdriver

Getting out there.
Synopsis
Kyle woke up in a land of fantasy and magitech. The usual 'I died and woke up' bullshit, skip all that.
Except he used to be a crime lord, and society here is missing that extra kick.

Chapters come when they are ready, aiming for one a day.

Patreon is 60 chapters ahead minimum.Currently Chapter 201 as of 1st September 2023

Join the Discord for Updates

Last edited:
Chapter 1
Alvin was never one for fighting. Hell, he hated the thought of getting his nose broken or even having his fingernail cracked. Even wooden splinters from the wheelbarrows or sparks from the arctech wagons frightened him, despite being nearly twenty-five years old.

So why was he in the midst of a brutal gang fight in the smog-filled alleys lined with pulsating pipes that churned green?

Before he could answer that question himself, a straight punch cracked his nose from tip to base, causing blood to spurt and bone to fragment as he staggered backwards, tumbling over broken wooden boxes filled with grimy, gooey trash. He didn't even know why the two gangs were fighting, only that he was ordered to come here to help.

Alvin could barely register his surroundings after the first hit, stumbling about coated in filth and pus from the trash heap. He tried to support himself against the wall that was layered with never-ending pipes, wooden barricaded windows and metal doors. His head spun, unable to determine where he was walking to.

Unknowingly, he began to cross over towards the rival gang, oblivious to the shouts of his friends as he tried to swipe the goo off his face.

"Who the fuck is this blind idiot?" One of the rival gang members laughed at the stumbling Alvin. He ran his hand over an engraved metal pipe, causing the runes to glow bright yellow before he smashed it right down onto Alvin's head with a loud thud.

The runes seemed to imbue additional properties into the metal pipe, the additional force and strength cracking his skull through the dirty auburn hair that became stained with blood and bits of meat. His body plopped onto the ground without a word, dead on the spot. "Fucking hell, Riker killed him!"

Alvin's allied gang members grimaced but did not care too much about Alvin dying, all of them too preoccupied with keeping themselves alive as they struggled against their opponents. He was just cannon fodder, after all. A weak boy sold off by his parents to the gang as repayment for their loan.

"One down, nine to go, boys!" Riker announced loudly, boosting the morale of the rival gang.

Alvin's corpse was kicked to the side, slumping against the wall beside a dead, decaying rat and abandoned gears and parts. Shouting, yelling, and sounds of metal echoed through the alley as bright runes and blood decorated the walls with brilliant flashes and streaks.

"Shit, they got way more enchanted gear than we do, retreat! Leave Alvin's body behind!" Alvin's gang beat a hasty retreat, leaving only the rival gang members in the alley, all of them cheering and heckling the fleeing enemy.

"You two, check that idiot's pockets for anything good. Rest of you, head back with me. The boss will be pleased to hear this. The Seven Snakes are such pushovers, pah." Riker ordered.

Two rival gang members remained behind, alone in the alleyway, putting on grim faces as they began to scavenge through Alvin's clothes. They, too, were practically cannon fodder, albeit not as weak as Alvin had been. Such was life in the underbelly of Raktor.

One of the gang members looked out for anyone else who might come across the bloodied scene. He spotted two patrolling local enforcers about to cross the entrance to the alleyway, but instead of backing off or trying to flee, he smirked at the two of them, locking eyes with them.

"Having a good day, sir? Hopefully, nothing to see here?" The gang member had a wide grin on his face as his hand rested on a metal pipe on his belt.
The law enforcers glanced at the gang member, recognising his outfit and equipment before slightly bowing with a bit of apprehension and fear. "Of course, nothing to see at all. You have a good day too."

"That's good. Better keep on walking." The gang member chuckled as the enforcers picked up the walking pace. He walked back to the other gang member, who was still checking the body for anything good.

"Seems like there's nothing here…."

Suddenly, the body jerked violently, thrashing in place and scaring the two gang members. "What the hell? Did the fumes get to him or something? Is he a deviant?"

The body eventually stopped thrashing, coming to a complete still. The two gang members glanced at each other, hesitant about what the next few steps were. Nothing particular came to mind, but in such an environment, violence was the best solution.

"Fuck if I know, but better hit him a few more times!"

The two gang members retrieved their bent pipes, with one taking the lead and swinging down on Alvin. In a blink, Alvin's eyes flew wide open, grabbing the attacker's wrist with one hand while his legs kicked out hard against the attacker's shins, causing him to yell in pain.

As the lead attacker fell, Alvin dodged another hit from the second attacker, flipping his body and recovering into a standing position while still gripping the wrist of the lead attacker, twisting it slightly, making the man wince in pain.

With a stomp, the arm of the lead attacker was broken cleanly, allowing Alvin to retrieve the pipe and fend off the second guy. A single parry was all that was needed to catch him off guard before Alvin performed a frontal stab with the metal pipe, knocking the man back onto the ground.

In a fluid motion, Alvin lunged at the second attacker before he hit the ground, grabbing his face and slamming it down into the hard concrete, knocking him out cold.

The lead attacker watched in horror as Alvin began to turn around and walked back slowly towards him before kneeling down on his broken arm. Alvin rested the tip of the pipe on the lead attacker's thigh while the man whimpered and struggled to get out, pain wracking his nerves as Alvin pressed harder on the broken arm with his knees.

"Where's Xanius? Where's my exosuit? Who kidnapped me?" Alvin asked with a stern expression. "Who hired you to attack me? Which star system is this? Who owns this planet? Where's the nearest hyperlane?"

"Wha…what the hell are you talk- ARGGGGGGGHHH!" The enchanted metal pipe slammed down hard onto the thigh of the lead attacker, causing him to scream out loud in pain before Alvin used the pipe and smacked his cheek, ripping off a bit of skin.

"Answer the questions."

"I…I don't know who the fuck Xanius is! What the fuck is an exosuit?" The lead attacker yelled back as he thrashed on the spot, a reflex from the incredible amount of pain that arced through his entire body.

Alvin looked carefully at the lead attacker's eyes and expression for a good twenty seconds before finally releasing him. The lead attacker let out a sigh of relief, watching Alvin walk back to the unconscious second attacker.

Without another word, Alvin stomped on the neck of the second attacker, crushing the windpipe completely.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

"What…?" The purple box that appeared in front of Alvin's face was jarring, and he tried to swipe it out of the way. What was a hologram doing here? He had not recalled installing any invasive interface systems into his nerval jack.

The lead attacker did not wait around, already attempting to crawl away, hoping to get out of the alleyway and somewhere more populated so that someone could save him.

He grunted as he tried to use his good arm to drag himself away. He couldn't stand either; his shin fractured by the kick from Alvin. How had he suddenly become so strong?

Before he could move any further, a strong grip lifted him from his collar, tossing him back against the wall with a loud thud.

Alvin knelt next to the lead attacker, his amber-yellow eyes staring deep into the frightened attacker's soul. "You and I are going to have a nice long chat about this place."

"Shit, shouldn't have left those two idiots to it," Riker grunted as he stomped back to the alleyway where they had just fought. "Fucking fodder can't even handle a simple task. Pah, I got better things to do than babysit some kids."

He reached the entrance of the alleyway, noticing there was no one there at all. He also noted that Alvin's body was missing, too, though there seemed to be clear signs of a second fight. Blood that was much fresher and more recent.

That detail put him on guard, holding his pipe at the ready. "I don't care who the fuck you are, don't think you can just mess around on the Red Lion's turf!" Riker shouted in bravado.

"Looks like there's no shortage of second-rate thugs in this 'city'." A voice wafted in from above in a taunting fashion. Riker quickly glanced upwards, only to see a looming shadow dropping towards him, a knee brutally colliding into him and cracking his collarbone into fragments.

He could not even scream, the air being knocked out of him as he collapsed onto the ground, but he bore the brunt of the pain and recovered into a fighting stance. The sight shocked him, however. "You? The idiot?"

An eyebrow twitched on Alvin's face, but he didn't show any other expression, merely lunging forward with his right arm swinging his metal pipe downwards in a predictable slash.

Riker smirked and blocked the obvious incoming attack, but it was a feint, with Alvin instead punching out with his left arm and nailing him in the guts. Riker doubled over and fell onto his ass, grimacing as he tried to regain his stance, but it was far too late.

Alvin was already on top of him, swinging the metal pipe down with the utmost precision, targeting all the major limbs and joints. Riker screamed as he suffered a rapid barrage of strikes, unable to move any of his severely bruised and broken limbs. "You, who the fuck are you? Don't you know who I am? The Red Lion will never let you Seven Snakes off, you cocksucker!"

A swift kick to the jaw caused a snapping sound, rendering Riker unable to talk. Alvin leaned in with a stern expression, glaring at Riker with bloodshot eyes. "My name is Kyle Hawthorn, Dominator of the Kablsk Spice Routes, Ruler of the Neadrsa Flow and Crime Lord of the Melsura Star Sector. And you? You are the first step to my new empire."

image_3.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg

Chapter 2
"This was supposed to be an easy fight!" A meaty hand slammed the wooden table, causing the map made out of parchment on the table and empty mugs of ale to tremble. The same hand pointed menacingly at a group of young men, who flinched slightly.

"All you had to do was defend against the Red Lions, and instead, you idiots turned it into an ugly fight that got one of the fodder killed for nothing. We lost control of that entire block!" The owner of the hand berated the group, chiding them for their incompetence.

"It wasn't our fault – Riker was too strong! We need more equipment and train-" one of the guys complained, infuriated at the one-sided scolding.

"You're useless, Damian. I could easily beat him with one hand tied behind my back if I was there. Back in my heyday, I was a champion in this Sector! Me, Ulon Baktar! Even the Ardent Cretins was small fries during our time." The gang leader of the Seven Snakes smacked his chest with that same meaty hand.

Then why don't you go there and fight yourself, huh? Damian internally raged as Ulon Baktar went on a spiel about the good old days and how the Seven Snakes used to be a great gang, controlling more than five districts in the South Sector. Now they were a small-time racket, barely a factor in the criminal underbelly of Raktor. Damian was not even sure they truly controlled the district now, with the Red Lions moving in.

The only reason why most of the twenty gang members remained behind was that they were far too weak to join the other gangs, as well as being locals of this district right here. Their friends, family and acquaintances were all here – leaving the gang meant their relationships would be subject to abuse by Ulon, a form of blackmail. Damian grimaced, shooting a glare at Ulon. If only I had enough strength to kill him in a duel to become leader instead…

But it was not for lack of trying: Damian had seen other braver gang members get killed: Ulon had a unique necklace made out of three green crystals that healed him as well, causing any duel to turn into one of attrition. Until I find a way to overcome that necklace…

"Don't you know how I became gang leader? I duelled the previous one as per tradition, winning easily! It is ALL of you, the useless trash, that is dragging down the reputation we once had!" Ulon accused.

Before Ulon could continue his monologue any further, the door burst wide open, causing everyone in the room to turn their heads immediately. A shocked murmur spread through the group like wildfire, their eyes not believing what they were seeing. What?! Alvin?!

Kyle Hawthorn entered, dragging the badly beaten-up Riker behind him, who was still slightly whimpering as the rough flooring continuously cut into his wounded limbs. Kyle had Riker's enchanted metal pipe strapped to his belt, his clothes still stained with dried blood.

Tossing Riker to the side without care, Kyle walked up to face Ulon directly, who was still sitting behind the table in shock. "You are the gang leader of the Seven Snakes?" Kyle asked stoically.

"Al-Alvin, I heard from Damian that you were badly hurt. They thought you dead! Where did you find Riker? Was it another gang that intervened? Did we get back the block?" Ulon hardly cared about Alvin's survival. He was far more happy about seeing one of Red Lion's goons in terrible shape, focusing on Riker's bruised face with glee. A victory was hard to come by in the Seven Snakes, even for all of Ulon's ranting.

Kyle snapped his fingers once in the air, a light but somehow extremely clear and attention-grabbing action. "Answer the question."

Ulon was slightly taken aback by the sheer confidence and authority that Alvin now radiated out of nowhere. Instead of replying directly, Ulon was more angered by the fact that this lowly fodder had the audacity to act like he was in charge.

"Yes, I am your gang leader, and I order you to get back in line before I punish you again! Seems like the gang fight has made you forget how things run around here!" Ulon roared as he stood up, clearly in a furious rage. Kyle, however, did not break his gaze, staring right into Ulon's eyes.

"I heard you killed the previous leader in a duel. As per tradition, I challenge you to a duel for the position of the gang leader."

The entire room was stunned, some even rubbing their ears to make sure they were not hearing things. Seeing Riker badly injured was one thing, but now the weak Alvin suddenly standing up to Ulon? Damian couldn't believe what he was witnessing, attempting to step forward to intervene, hoping to save Alvin from a premature death. "Boss, please forgive him. He may be a bit muddled from the fig-"

Ulon only held up a hand, motioning for Damian to shut the fuck up, before he squinted his eyes at Kyle, completely serious. "You do know it's a life-or-death duel?"

"Life or death only matters for you." The arrogant reply and the nonchalant expression on Kyle's face irked Ulon even more, pushing him over the edge.

"Good; if you want to be beaten to death so much, I'll happily oblige. I won't be killing off my property so soon, though – I'll have you taste punishment!"

"Very well." Kyle immediately delivered a solid kick in place, smacking the entire table right into Ulon and toppling him over his chair. The impact had the flimsy wooden table splinter apart in the middle, causing Ulon to be caught off-guard and slightly disoriented from the shock as he tried to recover.

Before Ulon could even make a move, Kyle grabbed the enchanted metal pipe from his waist belt, charging right in and smacking it as hard as he could on Ulon's undefended head. A loud snapping sound was heard, Ulon's forearm bone shattering in a desperate attempt to block, a solid gash of blood erupting.

image_1.jpg

However, unlike Riker's activation of the engraving, Kyle's pipe did not glow at all, showing no apparent difference from a normal pipe. He could not feel any bonus nor special effects happening either. It did not matter to Kyle for now – as long as the weapon existed, he could use it. It was all the same to him.

Instead of crying out, Ulon bore the pain and began to try and fight back while he still lay on the floor, throwing a few punches and kicks, engravings on the three crystals of his unique necklace glowing green. A green aura enveloped Ulon, healing the wound on his forearm like magic and mending slowly, the healing process of the body accelerated. "Hah, you think you can-"

Another quick smack on his arm interrupted Ulon, cracking his forearm again, followed by a flurry of rapid hits. Kyle wasn't about to let Ulon heal, continuously whacking repeatedly, keeping up the barrage. Damian and the other gang members were rooted to the spot, none of them stepping forward to intervene in the duel as they watched a masterclass in unforgiving violence play out right before their eyes.

"Wai-WAIT! STOP!" Ulon screamed, sticking his other good arm out, which was unceremoniously hit by the enchanted metal pipe too. Kyle whacked with consistency, never stopping and with a constant breath, as though he was pounding a dough in a rhythm.

The beating continued for three minutes without pause, the necklace's glow beginning to fade. Ulon could barely talk now, his face a complete mess covered in blood and snot, the green aura failing to keep up with the damage inflicted. Kyle finally grabbed the metal pipe with both arms before smashing it right down on Ulon's head, a soft little spurt echoing through the office.

None of the other members dared to move even after the duel had ended, shocked by the sheer brutality revealed by Alvin. It was like a different human – no, a monster had awoken within Alvin.

Kyle was about to raise his metal pipe to hit Ulon again when an intrusive message in the form of purple 'holograms' appeared once again in front of him. He noticed no one else reacted to the appearance. I must be the only one who can see this.
image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

Kyle rested his bloodied metal pipe on his shoulders and bent over to rip Ulon's necklace from his neck, curious about the source of the green aura.
image_4.jpg

Arcia? Kyle did not focus on that right now, instead glancing around at the frightened gang members. "Anyone else want to try me?"

The gang members shook their heads rapidly, including Damian. While Ulon was a slob and a lazy leader, there was no doubt he was well-defended and had a solid constitution. The number of hits Kyle had to deliver to kill Ulon was a testimonial to that. Kyle didn't even look tired out, his eyes still staring directly at them with rapt attention while his pipe still had beads of blood trickling down its length.

"No, leader." Damian bowed immediately, a slight fear erupting on his face as he realised that Kyle could maybe beat all of them up without breaking a sweat. If I couldn't beat Ulon in a duel, I certainly can't beat Alvin now!

"Good. From now on, the gang is under me. The name shall remain the same. Who's the oldest gang member here?" Kyle asked.

Damian and the gang members looked at each other, completely confused about Alvin's apparent memory loss. Did he really not remember anything about the gang? "I've been here the longest, about five years now, Alvin."

"Ok, the rest of you, dump him into the nutri-recycler or the airlock and get out of this room. Throw that 'Riker' guy into the cells. You stay. Also, from now on, my name is Kyle, got it?" Kyle motioned to the corpse of Ulon and the unconscious Riker with a dismissive tone.

Expressions of utter confusion were apparent to the gang members. They began to whisper among each other, wondering if Alvin finally went senile or was pushed to the edge by the near-death experience, creating a completely different personality out of nowhere. What the fuck was a nutri-recycler?

A loud and clear snap rang through the room again. "I said, got it?" Kyle stared them down with a stern expression, causing the rest of the gang members to nod their heads vigorously, exiting the room while carrying the dead Ulon and unconscious Riker, leaving Damian alone with Kyle.

Kyle kicked the broken table apart, retrieved the somehow structurally sound chair and sat down on it before staring right at Damian. "Name?"

"Alvin, do you not remember me? What happened to you in that fight? I swear I didn't mean to abandon you; it's just…" Damian rambled, before looking up into Kyle's eyes, seeing that he was extremely
serious and not in a joking manner. The blotches of blood that stained Kyle's hair, clothes and face only made it more apparent.

"My name is Damian, leader." Damian formally replied after a few seconds, to which Kyle finally nodded.

"I'm going to be asking some questions. You will answer immediately and directly to the best of your abilities."

Damian nodded. Did he lose all his memories, and another personality took over?

"Good. I only need to know four things. First, economic factors. What is the current state of the economy? Average debt per person?"

"Eco-what?" Damian was already lost.

Kyle took a long deep breath, slowly exhaling in exasperation. Damian rubbed his hands nervously as he saw a glimpse of irritation cross Kyle's face.

"Fine. What is the population of the city?"

"Yes, sir, the city of Raktor is home to approximately eight million people. We are currently in the South Sector." He did lose all his memories.

"What is the level of technology here?"

"Level of technology…? Well, most of the new stuff runs on arctech, machinery and so on. I'm not sure how to explain it…" Damian scratched his head, completely confused as to what Kyle was asking.

Kyle frowned visibly, causing Damian to tense up slightly. "How does this city make money? Do you have a currency system?"

"Make money? Alvin, now you're talking like some strang-" Damian caught himself before he talked any further, aware of Kyle's increasingly frustrated glare. "Ah yes, the city is a big trade hub, so most of the money comes from trading and services. We're at the edge of the empire, bordering two other nations. There are a good number of factories in the South Sector, but they are still fairly new and not scaled up yet; mostly research. The currency is rakels."

"So a nascent industrialisation society…"

"Na-sce-nt?"

"Ignore that. How do the Seven Snakes make money now?"

Damian was familiar with this, having been in the gang for nearly five years. Something Alvin should be familiar with too. "Oh, the usual. We provide protection services to traders and stall owners in this district as well as other shops. We also trade in alcohol and own a few brothels. Or at least we used to."

"Alcohol?"

"Yes, wine, moonshine mostly. There's a citywide ban on alcohol and many other things now, so the gangs have been fighting or negotiating for every inch of territory to cash in on potential customers. That was why we were fighting for that area, Alv… Kyle. Leader, sorry."

Kyle's eyes seemed to light up. It seems that one of his first steps has already been accomplished. "How rich are we now relative to the rest of the city? Top 5%, I assume?"

"Pe-rc-ent? What's that? Actually, we've been in debt since three months ago to the Crimson Swords in the East Sector." Damian said with a sheepish smile.

Kyle's eyes immediately lost their light, but he was unfazed. There was still a chance.

"You mentioned arctech; what's that?"

"Arctech is equipment that relies on energy, specifically arcia energy that can be found stored in arcite ore."

Kyle recalled seeing the term 'arcia energy' in the intrusive purple window previously for Ulon's healing necklace. "Arcite?"

"A mineral that provides arcia energy, other than living beings like us and leylines. Something that powers weapons like your metal pipe."

Kyle checked his still bloodied metal pipe, noticing the runes on it. It did not activate when he was swinging it for some reason.

"How big is our gang? This can't be all the members, right? Where are the rest? I was told by a Red Lion member that we control an entire district."

Damian was a bit ashamed, seeing Kyle ask it with such confidence. "This is the full strength. Twenty men are all we have. We barely have any money to recruit any more. We used to be bigger."

Damian watched Kyle grip the metal pipe even harder, causing him to tremble slightly as Kyle's face seemed to simmer with rage or disappointment.

Kyle pondered for a moment before realising something was missing. "Are drugs banned?
Psychedelics? Hallucinatory products?" Kyle tried every term he could think of that Damian would register.

"Ps-ki-eric-ks? Drugs? What? If you're talking about hallucinations, an engraved arctech array or a potion would be able to inflict illusions. We have alchemists in the city, though such potions are ridiculously overpriced and hard to procure. Only the well-to-do use them on the regular for parties…"

A small smile appeared on Kyle's face as he heard the keywords he wanted to hear, which only frightened Damian even more. It was the smile of a businessman knowing he'd found a hole in the market.

"Now we're getting somewhere."

16.png

image_5.jpg

Chapter 3: Carving Out A Market
The next day…

Kyle's entire body was aching. He had overexerted himself during the fight, and his muscles screamed for rest. He sat in an opulent red velvet chair, the bloodstains from yesterday long gone and replaced with a slightly worn formal suit appropriated from the stash of the gang. Ulon's humongous suits clearly did not fit his size.

He was in Ulon's private room, now obviously his. It was filled with useless trinkets, trophies and a gaudy stuffed head of a wildlife Kyle had never seen before. All extremely distracting and a waste of time, in his opinion.

It had been slightly more than a day since he arrived in the city of Raktor, somehow waking up in another person's body, along with a holographic interface reminiscent of VR games.

It's far too real to be a VR game…. Kyle pondered as he checked his face in the mirror, looking nothing like how he did in the past. His face no longer had the perfection of designer genes cultivated over centuries, and his auburn hair was a stark difference from his previous pristine jet-black hair. Clear blemishes, pimples, and terrible skin all made for what Kyle could only refer to as 'mediocre' and hardly attractive. Not an issue now.

The first rule of thumb for Kyle when entering an unknown and potentially hostile environment was to gain safety first. By instantaneously taking out Ulon, he had temporarily secured his position as a gang leader, albeit of a small one but easier to control and tweak to his preference. Twenty weak members are hardly enough to serve as a buffer against enemies…

Efficiency was the name of the game when one wanted to be a galactic crime lord. Kyle did not beat around the bush, immediately coming up with a simple step-by-step plan.
  1. Build a solid base/group of people to perform menial labour and reach a position preferably on the same level as his previous titles. Remain hidden from the big powers as much as possible.
  2. Find a niche market to sell, preferably illegal, so as to exploit profit margins. Scale up and dominate the market, as well as ensure no competition.
  3. Figure how the hell he survived/woke up in another person's body.

There is also the issue of the gang I attacked when I arrived. No doubt they will come knocking sooner or later. Kyle surmised. From what he learnt, the Red Lions seemed to be a much larger gang, controlling four South Sector districts. He needed to potentially prepare for war.

To protect himself and his followers, he would need money. Most likely, lots of it. And he would need it extremely soon, with the Red Lions poised to pounce if the Seven Snakes showed any more weakness. Until then, he had to remain low. Kyle winced as he tried to move his arms, sore from exhaustion.

On his neck was the Necklace of Healing, which he still had no idea how to activate. I was not able to activate the pipe as well. Does this mean my body can't use arctech?
image_1.jpg

He also had no idea how to access the purple box properly. He tried swiping with his hands. When that didn't work, he tried it verbally. "Holographic Interface. Menu. System. Statistics."
As soon as he said the last word, the statistics appeared before him.
image_2.jpg

Kyle tried to focus on activating the necklace, which suddenly did the trick. The same green aura enveloped his body, healing him by a tiny amount. Kyle noticed that the green aura stemmed from the necklace directly rather than his own body. It seems to be using its own internal energy rather than any arcia energy within me, just like what the message said.

It, however, did not do anything to alleviate the exhaustion his muscles felt. Kyle surmised that being tired was not considered health damage and could not be healed. This will be a problem; I will need to learn more about how this holographic statistics interface works.

He inspected the statistics in front of him, his attention drawn to what seemed to be his body's parameters in terms of strength, dexterity intelligence and so on. How do the statistics work?

He noticed that he had a few free points, recalling a message about 'Bonus Free Points' being allocated to him, thanks to the level-up. To figure out how the stats worked, he decided to do a small test quickly.

The easiest one to test now would be strength. Kyle got up from his chair and attempted to lift the bedframe of Ulon's luxurious bed, his arms straining slightly.

Assuming the statistics are linear, let's increase strength by half. I should then theoretically get a fifty per cent boost in strength.
image_3.jpg

He tried to lift the bedframe again, expecting to be able to do it with ease given the linear boost. However, he could still barely move it himself, though he could tell he was struggling less albeit a tiny bit. Seems like the statistics are not linear.

It would be difficult to prove the equation on which the statistics work without an accurate strength meter. Kyle could not begin to fathom how to even measure intelligence without a Galactic Era Council-approved diagnosis.

He also noted how simple it was to have free points allocated, with almost no implementation delay to his body. Could be useful in a tight situation – I'll save the rest for now.

Kyle explored other features of the holographic interface, especially interested in the description of items that he touched. he tried touching a few items around, such as the chair that he was sitting on and hoping to obtain a message. However, no intrusive purple message appeared. Kyle concluded that it did not work on mundane objects.

He did not know if other humans had the same interface but given the fact that it displayed every single piece of information, both past and present of the individual, Kyle knew better than to reveal such detail to those around him. Especially when he'd only been the leader for a day. I will not let myself be betrayed again, that is for sure.

Kyle dragged himself out of the room, assuming the strong and stern posture again, before returning to the main office. A crime lord must always espouse and demonstrate strength, dominance and competency, even when running a small-time gang.

The broken table had been replaced with another basic table with the same map of Raktor parchment, the bloodstains of Ulon cleaned up. Damian was already in the office, waiting for him.

"Can you read and write?" Kyle asked as he walked towards the desk and sat down.

"Uhm, yes, but if you're looking for dictation writing or proper calculations, my younger brother can do much better than I can."

"Go."

Damian soon returned with a young kid barely eighteen years old. "He's Keith."

Keith looked up at Damian in utter confusion, mouthing to Damian silently. Doesn't Alvin already know me?

In response, Damian gave him a look that boiled down to: Shut the fuck up and play along.

"Good, come here." Kyle retrieved a large bulky book from a bookcase, which looked like an account of the gang's finances. "Read this out loud."

Kyle couldn't read the language of the book but could somehow speak the same language as Damian and the rest. I must find a way to fix this impediment in the future.

Keith was slightly excited, having not been able to touch the account books under Ulon. He began to read out loud, using his finger to trace the myriad numbers. "This year, Year 369 of the Yual Reign, in the month of Autirth, forty thousand, twenty hundred and sixty-two rakels were obtained as revenue. The deficit is…" He hesitated, glancing slightly at Kyle.

"Continue." Kyle's demeanour frightened Keith, spurring him to read on.

Every month that Keith read out, Kyle's expression only got darker and darker until he was almost boiling with rage.

When he had learnt about the gang's power ranking in the sector, he had chosen the smallest gang possible in the vicinity – when starting from scratch, it was wise to never aim for the big guns immediately. Kyle did not think he could directly take on the Red Lions or even the Ardent Cretins, the supposed major gang of the South Sector, alone. Kyle was also not intent on being a subordinate and 'climbing the ladder'; he had far better things to do than listen to someone else.

"Ulon was a great gang leader," Kyle muttered sarcastically. If he had such a subordinate back in the Melsura Star Sector, he would have instantly executed him by particle irradiance from the nearest star.

"As of this month, the month of Autirth, the total deficit we have is approximately one million and two hundred thousand rakels, owed to the Crimson Swords with an expected due date of four months on the last day of Decaber. The end of the year." Keith finished.

"So what I'm hearing is that even if we cut all our expenses right now, it will take us around thirty months to come close to repaying the debt, assuming there is no interest. And that is assuming the accounts are accurate."

"Yes sir, though the interest rate is a tenth year on year." Keith was still slightly stiff.

Kyle didn't react anymore. He was already far too incensed to care. Instead of wasting emotions and energy on being outraged, he focused on Keith. "You seem like you are good with finances and accounts."

"I used to train under a scholar before we came here… sir. Leader." Keith still couldn't get used to calling Kyle sir. The change from the weak Alvin who always cared for them to this distant Kyle was worlds apart.

"Good. From now on, you'll be my assistant with financial issues. Every night you are to spend one hour teaching me how to read and write as well. Do this, and there will be a reward for you. Now leave us."

"But Alvin, you already know how to read and write… I mean, yes sir! Leader!"

"Stick to sir."

Keith nodded and bowed awkwardly and took his leave. An awkward silence filled the office now, as Kyle thumbed through the account books, while Damian shuffled his feet nervously.

A few minutes passed before Kyle suddenly spoke up. "Damian, how many alchemists do we have under us?"

"Huh? None, we never had any alchemists, to begin with."

"Not even a single one within our protection racket or influence?"

"Hmm…" Damian scratched his chin. "There is one member of the Alchemist Guild in our district, but he's a bit feisty, though. No matter which gang tried to approach him, he always refused to pay the protection fee, even under threats. He lives in his shop, and it is well guarded by traps and his own private mercenaries. Ulon never managed to get him to budge."

A well-protected alchemist… "Get ready, we're going to visit him. Bring out the cash reserves." Kyle stood up, patting his pants before moving to leave. Perhaps we can complete the second objective soon. But we'll need to do some scouting.

"What? Now?" Damian was caught off-guard. He had never seen a gang leader be so proactive in his five years as a goon. Ulon usually lazed around and got others to do things for him.

"If not now, then when? When we're bankrupt?" Kyle retorted. "Lead the way."

Damian hastily retrieved rakels into a medium-sized coin pouch before the two exited the Seven Snakes' base, coming out of the basement of a five-storey building into a narrow street that was fairly isolated.

"The alchemist lives near the food market. We regularly buy our meals from there as well," Damian explained as they walked through the street. Homeless squatters, rubbish heaps and small workshops painted the landscape, with kids covered in grime laughing and running through the sparsely populated street. The same never-ending pipes and barricaded windows dominated the walls, as rickety wagons rattled up and down the cobblestone road.

He had already accepted the fact that Kyle was an amnesiac and needed to be taught from scratch. There was also something about the straightforwardness and strength of Kyle that drew Damian in, a far cry from the repulsive and irredeemable Ulon. He could not say the same for the rest of the gang members, however.
A few turns and corners soon had them at a dense food market. Stalls and carts with colourful banners carved with magic peddled their harvest or forage from the nearby forests and monster regions. Arctech wagons hauling goods from beyond the city came in all various types. Kyle noticed that many bore different license plates and insignias, no doubt coming in from other countries.

Kyle looked around and found a few monster parts and limbs that he had never seen before. Some were even selling mealworms as a meal, but Kyle barely flinched when he saw that. I've had worse.

He also noticed a few people sitting at the corner cafes with smoking pipes, blue smoke puffing through the air. The aroma was intricate, the smell of blueberries floating through the air. "That's a popular hobby of the people, smoking Euria Seeds," Damian explained.

"Addictive?"

"Sorry?"

"Is it hard to quit the hobby?"

"Oh, not at all. I think the body faces a mild resistance after quitting but would return to normalcy fairly fast, within three hours at most?"

Damian and Kyle navigated through the crowd, before finally reaching a standalone two-storey house positioned in between two blocky six-storey office buildings, making it seem anachronistic. A medium size sign hung on top of the entrance, reading 'Haui's Alchemy and Alchemical Products.'

Another sign was hung next to it – the emblem of the Alchemist Guild. Kyle knew from experience that a highly prized industry would naturally have a consortium or cartel around it. No doubt a strong association… he must have quite a backing then.

The ground around the house was carved with engravings similar to those on Kyle's metal pipe. The engravings were laid out in a circular fashion, forming a sort of defensive line that could go unnoticed as mere scribblings. Upon closer inspection, the lines of the engraving were hardened with metal to prevent accidental tampering.

"I assume those are the traps."

"Yes, sir, but he won't use it against new customers. You've never visited him before, so we should be okay."

Kyle entered the shop without hesitation. It was pretty spacious inside, with a few shelves with potions of all sorts. There were already a few other customers inside, all humans, who were calculating the prices of potions they were looking to buy.

He eyed the other customers, noticing that they were keeping a close eye on him as he walked through the shop. It seems some of them are security—about five to seven well-trained guards.

He glanced at one of the price tags of a greenish-looking potion. "Five thousand rakels… Impressive." Holding the potion up in his hand, another purple box appeared in front of him.

image_4.jpg

Another dark yellow flask was on a different shelf, Kyle reached out to examine it.

image_5.jpg

Six hundred rakels… Kyle glanced around the shop, finding no hints that the alchemist was involved in some mass supply. He is not as rich and powerful as I first thought – he makes money by selling the far more expensive potions on a small scale basis.

"Best be careful with that, young man. Once broken, considered sold." A husky voice wafted in from the back of the shop. It belonged to an old man in a purple robe who rested his head on a counter, lazily fiddling with a chisel in his hand and spinning it with his fingers.

Kyle placed the potion down and walked up to the counter. "Mr Haui, I presume." They both sized each other up for a brief moment.

"Indeed. Any particular potion you're looking for? Or just browsing? Or perhaps…" Haui's voice trailed off, a tiny hint of hostility long honed towards shoplifters apparent in his squinting eyes.

"I am looking for something of a different quality. Something more exquisite and different, if you know what I mean." Kyle replied with a slight emphasis, much to the confusion of Damian.

Haui's eyes showed signs of recognition, but wariness crept in as he stared at Kyle, scrutinizing him and his clothes. "Haven't seen you around here before. New in town?"

"You could say that. If your offer interests me, this could be the start of a great business relationship." Kyle nodded knowingly towards Haui.

"Hmm…" Haui seemed to be weighing the pros and cons in his head while Damian still continuously looked back and forth between them. Every hour since Kyle became the gang leader was a complete rollercoaster of emotions for him.

A minute of silence passed before Haui finally placed the chisel down on the counter. "Follow me." Haui motioned to a side door that led to a stairwell. An illegal operation. As expected for such a well-defended alchemist.

The trio walked down the stairs, only to enter a basement filled with potions that were clearly not the same as what was displayed in the front. Kyle was not one for stereotypes, but the entire place looked like a stereotypical alchemist lair right out of an Ancient Earth fantasy holofilm. "Take a look. Every aphrodisiac, poison, curse and illusionary potion is here. I won't call them the best in Raktor, but it'll do the job."

Kyle nodded, walking through the shelves and rows upon rows of potions. He noticed a few boxes of herbs stacked in the corner through his peripheral vision, though he continued picking up potions and examining them. Each of the potions was well-labelled and displayed in small quantities.

Assuming he performs all his production in-house, he does not seem to have enough ingredients to engage in mass production just yet. Could it be a restriction by the Alchemist Guild? With such a high value product, it was only natural for a guild or cartel to control the supply and pricing. Kyle himself had worked with other Crime Lords to artificially control the rate of mining, even though the exotic they were selling back then could be found in abundance. All for profits.

He ran his hand through the various flasks, using the holographic interface to inform him about the item's properties. Kyle still put up an act, acting as though he was oblivious to what the potions could do. As Haui explained certain potions, he continued touching as many flasks as he could, the purple message continuously updating. He only gave each message a cursory glance, before moving on to the next while Haui still talked. There is still a chance of earning more, but only if I find evidence of the right potion here. I need a proof of sorts.

He had just touched his hundredth unique potion since he arrived when another purple box appeared in front of him.

image_6.jpg

Kyle held the same potion and noticed the description had been upgraded.
image_7.jpg

"Perfect."

16.png

image_8.jpg

Chapter 4: Reorganization
"Sir, are those potions really worth it? Mind-bending doesn't last long, and that's a bit too many Stamina Recovery Potions. Sure, the Stamina Recovery Potions are relatively 'cheap', but they will be impossible to reverse engineer as well. Alchemy has always had the highest failure rate in terms of industries. Too much prior knowledge is required to make even a basic potion… sir."

Damian was still coming to terms with how much Kyle had spent on the potion, twelve thousand rakels, despite the fact that they were still in debt.

Kyle did not reply. With the scientific knowledge he had from his former life, distillation would be a cinch. He did not need Damian's approval either for now.

The food market was still just as crowded as when they first arrived, hectic and bustling with activity. The locals seemed to be on lunch break, gossiping about everything under the sun. Kyle took a slower walk, keeping his ears peeled for any rumours. A vital skill in a foreign environment.

"Did you hear? The Veiled Angels subjugated three gangs in a row in the West Sector!"

"Wow, so the Violet Devils are neck and neck for domination, aren't they?"

"Yea, they both hold twelve districts each. I feel bad for the gangs trapped in the last remaining six districts. A bloodbath is going to happen over the next few months, for sure. I only hope the Sanctum of Yual would not intervene this time; it would be even worse."

Thirty districts in a sector… Kyle was listening intently when Damian slightly tugged his shoulder to the side. "Sir, see those two? Local enforcers of the Sanctum."

He pointed to two men nearly covered in white from head to toe, only the engravings of gold and red on their shirts, pants and shoes breaking the monotony. They were simply patrolling, checking the stalls of the food market.

"Sanctum?"

"The main religion of the Yual Dominion." Damian sighed internally, now truly believing Kyle was a completely different personality of Alvin. "They enforce the law of the Yual Dominion around here, though the local enforcers usually close one eye on gang activity. They are far too understaffed to make a difference here even if they wanted to, though it would be best if we do not directly conflict with them."

Another significant power to watch out for. Kyle frowned. He had long forgotten the feeling of being a small fry in a big pond. Back in his former life, he had been the most prominent crime lord for a long time, dominating entire clusters of stars. Perhaps that was why I was so easily betrayed at the end…

The two walked back to the gang's base through the food market.

As they neared the entrance, Kyle suddenly spun around and faced Damian directly. Damian gulped, reminded of how brutal Kyle was against Ulon, the same stern expression worn on Kyle's face as he stared hard at him.

"Damian, was it? I understand none of the gang members have been formally educated nor trained, with the exception of Keith."

"Huh? Yes, indeed. We never had the money to."

The best underlings are loyal ones who are competent. As of now, they seem to be lacking in both physical and mental training…

Kyle frowned, not replying and re-entering the Seven Snakes base. He did not really pay attention to it the first time he entered, but now he focused more on the décor, layout, and furnishing.

"How big is this base?"

"Sir, we own the entire basement floor of this building. It is only one floor though, a downsize from our previous five-storey building that was lost."

"I assume lost because of debt," Kyle remarked.

Damian nodded timidly. Why was he feeling ashamed of how far the gang had fallen? Perhaps it was because he had been singled out as the oldest gang member, making everything seem like it was his fault.

"Show me around."

"Sir, you've already seen your office and your –"

"I meant everywhere else. I want to see the rest of the base."

It was unheard of for gang leaders to actually leave the vicinity of their rooms and office, much less tour the quarters or common areas shared by the members. What if they poisoned him? Backstabbed him?

Damian glanced at Kyle's face, who didn't seem to give a shit. He conceded, bringing him on a tour of the base.

The base layout was exceedingly simple. The entrance led into a short hallway, immediately splitting off in a T-junction. To the right was the gang leader's quarters, including the office, personal room and shower. Left was the rest. A big, bold red sign indicated that clearly.

Upon turning left, the two entered a large open common area joined to rooms along the side. The common area was filled with junk of all sorts. Heaps of broken metal, twisted wooden frames and half-crushed pipes were stacked on the corners.

At the centre, the gang members were out in force, playing games with each other on snooker tables the size of a room or training on sandbags and weights in the middle. A stolen arctech speaker playing garbled music echoed against the carpeted floor and dusty walls. The layout was extremely haphazard.
Most just lazed about, lying or chilling on one of the many benches and sofas laying about, some obviously stolen from an aristocrat's setting, with the prior pink fluffy colour now a diminished brown-stained mess.

Kyle's eyebrow twitched slightly upon seeing the rampant mess. He was not one to fret about cleanliness, considering that he had been regularly covered in blood since day one. However, it was the sheer disarray and lack of organisation amongst them that really got to Kyle.

"Damian. I would like to ask you a simple question."

Damian froze, noticing the fearsome expression on Kyle's face. "…Anything, sir."

"Are you invested in making this gang better? You've been here the longest."

It was a hard question. In hindsight, Damian knew he could have left the gang anytime. There used to be people that he cared for in the gang, but five years of continuous fighting and hustling was a long time. Now he was the last of his generation. Should he jump ship with his younger brother?

Damian immediately disregarded that thought. He owed it to his former friends to make the gang the best he could. This was the reason why he even stayed on when Ulon was the gang leader. He was still slightly on the fence about whether Kyle would be a good gang leader, unable to shake the impression of the formerly weak Alvin.

"Yes, sir, I am." Damian resolved himself, answering truthfully.

"Good. From now on, you are in charge of discipline and training."

"Discipline? What?"

"Let me provide an example. Gather everyone here."

Damian began to gather everyone while Kyle waited patiently, standing near the entrance of the common area. It took close to ten minutes or so for all twenty gang members to assemble, and even then, they were standing in a disorderly manner, some yawning and scratching their heads. Only Damian and Keith were standing firmly.

"It's the second day since I took over the leadership of the gang." Kyle began.

"I've noticed a clear lack of discipline, training and organisation among you all. You two, run over to the other end of the common area, touch the wall and come back." Kyle pointed to two random gang members.

The two gang members looked around, trying to figure out whom Kyle was pointing to before they realised it was them. The request didn't click in their head, making them confused.

"Huh? Me? Why the hell would I do tha-"

"RUN!" Kyle suddenly bellowed with such force that the two random gang members nearly shat themselves before they began to run, reminded of the sheer brutality Kyle had inflicted on Ulon just a day ago. The other gang members were shocked at the strength of Kyle's shout.

They ran as fast as they could, touching the wall before coming back, but they began to slow down upon returning, obviously tired from sprinting the distance.

"How far was that other wall?" Kyle asked Damian, who looked lost, trying to estimate the answer in his head.

"About 25 meters from here, sir," Keith answered.

"You're telling me two of our members who are involved in protecting stalls, traders and our businesses are unable to sprint for more than twenty-five meters?"

No one replied, their heads kept low, ashamed by the performance of their fellow gang members. Some even felt they might not do any better themselves either. The two returning gang members panted and heaved, looking as though they had just finished a marathon.

"Hey, fuck you, Alvin!" One of the braver gang member stood up to Kyle, incensed at the entire thing. "You think you're a bigshot now just because you got lucky in killing Ulon? We ain't all pushovers nor dumb – you must have drugged that bitch to hell and back!"

"Are you crazy? Keep your head down!" His friend tried to convince him, but he shrugged it off.

"Hell no! We really gonna let this weak Alvin fucker just walk all over us like that? Ulon is one, but this fodder? We all know he cheated!" The brave gang member postured, pushing his way past the gang members to stand in front of Kyle, bravado leaking through.

Kyle smiled as though he had already been expecting this, though he did not make a move.

The brave gang member grinned. "Look at this, lads. All this weak cunt can do is stand and smile, there's no way in hell he beat Ulon fairly in a-"

Before he could continue, Kyle grabbed the gang member by the face and swept him from under his legs, slamming him down hard onto the ground with a loud crash. The gang member barely moved, unconscious from the sudden attack. Kyle let out a deep sigh, returning back to his original position as though nothing has happened.

The rest of the gang members tried their best to avoid looking at the fallen gang member, though it was clearly impressed onto them that Kyle was most likely even tougher than Ulon had been. No one dared to step out against him now.

"Next, you two. Lift that sofa up and move to that position. Before placing it down, hold it for thirty seconds."

The next pair didn't hesitate this time. They lifted a heavy three-seater sofa but could barely lift it and dropped it onto the floor within ten seconds.

Kyle sequentially gave each pair a different physical task in the common area, with the gap between tasks reducing with each passing minute, causing them to exert even more strength. Moving things, sprinting, lifting, shuttle runs to pick up random pieces of trash. Even Damian and Keith were not spared from the physical tasks.

The gang members were not dumb: they were clearly aware that they were being forced to clean up the place. Little by little, they saw the direct result of the work, some even beginning to joke among each other as they picked up litter and rubbish from months ago.

After thirty minutes, the gang members were all tired and sweating profusely, staining the armpits and back of their shirts. Yet they were not angry at all at Kyle, instead feeling good about the place being cleaned up.

They stood in a loose group, marvelling at the transformation of the common area from a literal trash heap to a functioning room, furniture no longer haphazard and wildly placed. Even the trash and litter on the floor and the bulky heaps of broken metal were all nicely aligned to one corner.

"Holy shit, have you ever seen the common area look like this before? I didn't even know it could look like this." They murmured among each other for a minute, admiring the work they'd done. Ulon had never done anything like this before, and suddenly Kyle did not seem like such a bad leader after all. They knew they would have never cleaned up the place if it were not for his orders.

"Every day." Kyle suddenly spoke, causing the gang members to turn around and face him.

"Every day, I will come into the common area. If it does not even look remotely like this, Damian will be responsible. You will all report to me in this manner, standing in a row every morning at the crack of dawn, understood?"

"Yes sir!" The gang members were much more receptive now to Kyle, after witnessing the good results of their work.

"The structure of membership is now redefined. All of you are associates, except Damian who will act as both underboss and acting captain from now on. Through the training and a vetting process, you will then be inducted in as 'vipers', proper members. Work hard."

Damian's face glowed tremendously, knowing how big it was to be declared as the underboss, the effective second-in-command. Ulon had never allowed anyone to be the underboss in his entire reign.

The gang members, now associates, were also slightly excited about receiving training. None of them wanted to remain weak and dishevelled like they were under Ulon, or be as dumb as the brave gang member who was still knocked out unconsciously, stacked along with the trash pile. Already among them, there were some bets on who could become a viper first.

Kyle beckoned for Damian and Keith to follow him, returning to the office. "Do you understand now?"

Damian nodded vigorously. "You provided seemingly meaningless orders, but all the small little tasks eventually became something great. It instils into them a simple idea: ' if I listen, good things will happen.'. The membership hierarchy is great as well."

"Not as eloquent as I would put it, but yes. All tasks I provide will point towards a greater goal or objective. Moving on, the physical training regime shall be done in this manner, with the objective of strengthening their overall physical capabilities first and foremost. Write down what I am about to say."

Keith nodded, sitting at Kyle's desk and scribbling down whatever Kyle dictated. Some of the words flew way over his head and had to be replaced with something similar. Soon, the training regime was completed on parchment, with Damian going over it once.

Damian's eyes bulged as he continued reading each line. "This… this is madness! No human can exercise this long without assistance! How can we possibly complete this?"

"You will." Kyle retrieved the dozen Stamina Recovery potions he bought in from Haui's shop, placing them on the table.

image_1.jpg

Chapter 5: Supply and Demand
In the Red Lions' base…

The Red Lions were much larger than the Seven Snakes. The gang controlled four districts in total, with more than three hundred men in total.

Each of the three subordinate districts was controlled and managed by separate sub-leaders. They were now eyeing the Seven Snakes district, which would be an easy kill. However, they were not the only enemy facing the Red Lions, with both larger and smaller gangs trying to test them with small skirmishes.

No gang wanted a full-out bloodbath between gangs – they were here to make money, not to be mass murderers.

At this very moment, the sub-leader of the adjacent district to the Seven Snakes was training hard against a wooden dummy in a massive training yard nested between buildings. Winding up a punch that caused the reddish armour set to elicit striking neon blue lines reminiscent of arcite fuel, he delivered a devastating strike, cracking the wooden dummy figure into half.

Two Red Lion associates ran up to him, getting down on one knee while waiting for the sub-leader to acknowledge their presence. He panted slightly, grabbing a towel from a servant and wiping off the sweat on his scarred forehead. He ran his other hand through his spiky dark red hair before tossing the towel back and nodding towards the two underlings. "Speak."

"Boss Wrent, we still can't find any trace of Riker. We suspect another rival gang has imprisoned him."

"Who did it?"

The associates looked at each other before one gulped and bowed lower. "Boss, I think it's the Seven Snakes."

A loud bellowing laughter roared through the yard. "Ridiculous! Against us?! The Left Paw of the Red Lions?! That fat slob Ulon and his measly twenty men would never be able to pull off such a feat."

"But boss, Riker was last seen heading towards their district, where we recently took over ownersh-"The associates paused as Wrent raised his hand.

"Or maybe a bigger gang has impersonated them and is trying to get us to fight each other. I would not put it past the Ilysian Punks or the Wretches, and it won't be the first time they did such a thing. Our main headquarters is still at war with them. Focus your search on the punks from Versia."

"Yes, boss. What do we do about the Seven Snakes now?"

Wrent currently had more than sixty men under him, three times the number of the Seven Snakes. However, a cornered animal was just as dangerous as a wounded one. Wrent was playing the slow game. Any pyrrhic victory would leave him weak and vulnerable to the other sub-leaders and external rival gangs.

If I can subjugate the Seven Snakes while the headquarters and other sub-leaders are busy with the Ilysian Punks and Wretches, it would be a big boost to my reputation and allow me more of the take.

"Carry out my orders. Keep an eye out for any booming businesses of the Seven Snakes. The moment any of them stand out, we will slowly target them one by one with persistent harassment, crippling their finances. They are already in debt, which would eventually force them to capitulate without a single loss of life on our side."

16.png

The next day…

Kyle observed intently as he poured out a tenth of the Stamina Recovery potion, mixing it with stored rainwater as the base, representing nine parts. He then swirled the mixture around before pouring it into an empty flask, filling it to the brim.
image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

Kyle immediately put down the diluted potion and picked it back up.
image_3.jpg

"Finally, the entire list of ingredients is visible to me. The exact recipe might be missing, but it's a start." Kyle quickly retrieved the Mind-Bending Potion.
image_4.jpg

The description had barely changed, much to his frustration. "Looks like I don't have the necessary skills to see such a complicated recipe yet." Kyle mused to himself, noting a difference in the number of ingredients between the two types of potions.

He repeated the process of diluting the Stamina Recovery Potions, but no new titles, skills or information appeared. "I'm relying a bit too much on this holographic interface, it seems, a very addictive approach. Perhaps when I get back to the Melsura Star Sector, I should buy out the VR game industry as much as possible…"
With now a hundred and twenty diluted potions, he ordered Damian and another gang member to distribute them to the training gang members, who were now undergoing a hellish regime.

Kyle called for Keith. "How much cash reserve do we have?"

"Uhm, about twenty thousand rakels since you spent the other half on the potions. That was last month's revenue." Keith was much more receptive to Kyle now as they had witnessed the relative increase in competency, especially with the increased discipline.

"What are our current expenses?"

"Hmm, food, utilities, equipment maintenance. It should amount to ten thousand rakels, assuming five hundred for each gang member. This also considers that there would be no future fights with the other gangs."

Kyle was reminded that Riker was still imprisoned by them. If I let him go, the Red Lion would come running at us. I can't afford a fight now. Seeing as they have not approached us yet, no need to stir the pot now. Let's keep it that way.

"Are you familiar with Poair Leaf and Greis Powder?" Kyle asked.

"Huh? Oh yea, they are pretty basic ingredients. Used quite a lot in simple bandages and as a spice for food. It is quite abundant in the food market area."

Kyle's eyebrows twitched slightly. He recalled seeing a large amount of Poair Leaf crates in the alchemist's basement. Each crate could probably hold about a thousand kilograms based on his estimates, and judging by the size of the potion, not many need to be used for each potion. Very interesting…

"How much is each of the ingredients?"

"Erm…" Keith tried to recall in his head. "Maybe about a thousand two hundred for a sack of Poair Leaf, two thousand four hundred for the Greis Powder."

"Good, go out and buy a sack each and come back. Try to remain inconspicuous as much as you can."

"Yes, sir."

"Wait. While you're out there, buy a sack of Euria Seeds."

"Raw or crushed, sir? Do you need a smoking pipe as well? It will cost about six thousand seven hundred."

"Raw. No, no pipe needed."

While Keith was gone, Kyle quickly calculated. Each Stamina Potion was sold to me by Haui for six hundred rakels. Assuming I can nail down the recipe, I can potentially enter a price war with him. However, I will have to add something more unique to the concoction…

The sacks arrived, though they were a bit too bulky to be placed in the office, so they were stored in the common area. The associates were currently resting from their training, gulping down their diluted Stamina Recovery Potions. It was not super effective, but every little bit helps.

Some of them watched as Kyle scooped a handful of each into separate smaller bags before heading into the kitchen. "What the hell is Alvin up to now? I'll like to say that I prefer this personality compared to the weak one before, but isn't this too drastic of a change? Is he a chef now?"

"Better than the shitty Ulon who just lazed around. I actually feel more productive now. I can somehow see the makings of a great gang."

"Man, I joined the gangs to fuck around, not get drilled this hard." One of the associates was still reticent about the entire training regime, lolling about on the sofa. However, he still secretly appreciated the clear growth plan set forth, already fantasising about him becoming a bigshot in the future. He just did not want to work that hard for it.

"Rested enough, associates?" A stern voice suddenly spoke from behind. "If you have time to chat, you have time to train and get stronger. We haven't completed the exercises today. Move!" Damian ordered.

As the associates continued their first training under the supervision of Damian, Kyle was in the kitchen, arranging the ingredients out nicely.

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg

image_7.jpg

Kyle grabbed a single seed, looking around the kitchen to find anything to crush it with. However, the kitchen was extremely barebones, only having the basic utensils. In fact, it looked like they barely cooked at all. Kyle now understood why they had been buying food from the food market.

None of the gang members knew how to cook nor had the money to hire a cook.

Instead of being angry, he focused his efforts on the current task. He placed the seed in a small stone bowl, using his metal pipe's tip and smashing it slightly, careful not to break the bowl as well. The seed was now flattened, with the oil squeezed out.

He carefully poured out the oil into a flask before holding it up to examine.
image_8.jpg

He crushed a few more seeds in this manner before collecting enough to fill a flask. The description did not change, prompting him to boil it over a stove.

A copious amount of blue smoke began to waft out of the kitchen, attracting the attention of the exercising gang members. "That's… that's a lot of smoke for a Euria pipe. Should we check?"

"Maybe he runs on Euria fumes?"

"Idiot, you want to antagonise Alvin when he's in this state? No fucking way!"

Kyle waited until nothing was left to boil, only a dark yellow residue left behind. After the flask had cooled down, he picked it up to check.

image_9.jpg

He then used a separate flask to mix the Poair Leaf and the Greis Powder along with water, trying to get the ratio right. Too many leaves, and it was simply tea. Too much Powder, and it was more of a sludge. Too much water and nothing at all. Each flask could only hold two hundred and fifty millilitres, based on his estimate.
He soon had five flasks going in sequence, boiling them in tandem for different durations. He checked them all, frowning when the holographic interface did not pop up, which meant he failed.

However, with the sheer brute force of combination, he finally managed to figure out the recipe. "15% of each, the rest water, boiled for three minutes."

image_10.jpg

He did not receive another title or skill, but it was good enough. He then took the dark yellow residue, dropping a small amount into the potion.
image_11.jpg

A small smile appeared on Kyle's face as he read the description. "Our first drug. Time to begin."

16.png

image_12.jpg

Chapter 6: Bring to Market
Five days later…

Six associates were now lined up in a spare empty room, with only two basic long wooden tables in the middle and at the side along with chairs. They stared in awe at the equipment on the tables and the crates stacked at the back of the room, filled with flasks and portable arctech stoves.

Kyle had gotten Keith to use the remaining extra cash to buy them, with the one hurting the most being the arctech stoves.

"You, you're number one. You weigh each of the ingredients before putting them into separate bowls."

Two weighing scales were on the table, the counterweight already perfectly calculated. Kyle had gotten Keith to write labels on parchment onto the weighing scales, indicating which ingredient they were for.

"Next, number two." Kyle motioned to another one. "You take each of the ingredients and put them into the same flask, and fill it up to the brim with water."

"Finally, number three. You boil the flasks, each for exactly three minutes. No more, no less."

Kyle then moved over to the other table, where there were only Euria Seeds and a few mortar and pestles.

"You, number four. You grind as many Euria Seeds as you can. Pour the oil out into a flask."

"Number five. You boil the flask as long as possible until you see a dark yellow residue like this." Kyle showed an example. "Then, for every other flask the group makes, you drip just a pinch in."

"Number six. You then pack the normal flasks separately from the ones that have received the Euria Seeds residue. Everybody clear?"

They all nodded except for one who raised his hand. "Sir, sorry to ask, but what exactly are we making?"

"Stamina Recovery potions. A stark reminder – anyone, associate or even vipers, caught drinking the Euria-infused potions will immediately be punished heavily and imprisoned for a while. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Start now."

The operation began, with the associates slightly fumbling about as they got used to handling the equipment. However, they went slow and steady, afraid of being chided by Kyle, who watched over them like a hawk.

Soon, after ten minutes of repetitive action, the muscle memory began to be engraved into them, making the job faster and similar to a factory line. Kyle nodded in approval before leaving the room.

The associates felt a sense of belonging and felt part of a greater whole. They might have had more passion for the job if they didn't realize that they were basically performing menial labour, just like a factory worker.

Kyle's idea of the production line wasn't exactly unique to them – there were already plenty of factories in the vicinity doing the exact same thing, though they have yet to see one making potions en masse due to tight controls by the Alchemist Guild.

"Didn't I join the gangs so I didn't have to do this kind of thing…?"

Kyle was not too worried about the recipe leaking – he himself did not expect to retain monopoly over such a simple modification to an already existing potion. He assumed that there were already thousands of alchemists who could do exactly what he was doing right now: the issue was the Alchemist Guild and its apparent laws against mass production.

He had yet to learn about the exact restrictions, but it was enough for him to try to lower the production cost while evading detection. This alone would be more than enough to cut into the market and begin making some much-needed profits to fuel his other plans.

Kyle returned to his office, checking a list of all businesses owned by Seven Snakes, sorting them out by revenue. It wasn't so much of a list, seeing there were only two external businesses – a pub and a brothel. The brothel was performing very well by relative standards, providing the majority of the revenue.

He had been learning to read and write from Keith every night for the past few days. As he could already 'speak' the language, reading was fairly easy to pick up rapidly, though writing still needed some work. A lot of work.

He called Damian in. "In three hours' time, we'll visit the highest-performing brothel that the Seven Snakes own."

"You mean the Lusty Arcian?"

"… Yes. Once the potion production has completed a crate, we will bring it over with us, got it?"

"Yes, sir."

"One more thing. I want you to give Riker three Euria-infused potions in a single day. Follow the recommended dosage of eight hours. After that day, don't give him any more, even if he asks for it."

"…What? Why are we giving him our product?"

"Just do it. Make sure to feed him and provide water. I'll check in four days later."

Damian was uncertain about what Kyle wanted to do this time but agreed instantly, having lost all hope of trying to understand his mind.

The brothel was very well hidden, as prostitution was illegal in the city. It was nested on the second floor above a reputable restaurant, but only accessed via a hidden side entrance.

It was narrow and cramped, the violet carpeted floor on the hallways stained with bodily fluids from years ago or even recently. A dense fog of Euria smoke hovered permanently just under the arctech bulbs above that flickered white against the blue hue.

Kyle entered through the main entrance, noticing the décor to be highly feminine in every sense of the word, the flowery impression permeating the entire lobby area while a sensual tune wafted in through the perfumed air.

"Oh, my dear Damian, did you bring a new customer today? It's a bit too early for any sort of action, no?" A toned muscular man was resting his head on his arm against the countertop, smiling at the two of them. He wore a pink formal shirt with black pants and sported a slick haircut.

Kyle was mildly impressed by how well the man carried himself. "Good afternoon. I'm here to meet Slavin Tudor."

"That's me!" The man said cheerfully before taking a closer look at Kyle. "Hmm, I think I remember seeing you before in the Seven Snakes…"

"He is the new gang leader of the Seven Snakes, Kyle…" Damian glanced back at Kyle.

"Just Kyle is fine."

"Oh my, Ulon is dead? Finally! That fat pig deserved it; I never really took a liking to him. So, to what do I owe the pleasure? Perhaps you have come to sample some of our products? They aren't ready yet, but I can call in a few of them as a special gift to our new leader."

"I'm here to observe the operations if possible and discuss future plans regarding finances. You two," Kyle motioned to the other two gang members outside carrying a few bags of potions. "Leave them here and return."

Slavin watched intently at the reactions of the two gang members as Kyle ordered them. "Glimpses of leadership qualities, something Ulon clearly didn't have. Am I about to see the rise of a new shining star, Damian?"

"I believe so. I hope so." Damian nodded in agreement.

"Hmm, operations won't begin until two hours later." Slavin ran his hand over his beard, scratching it slightly.

"No matter, let's go through your finances first." Kyle pointed towards the accounts behind the counter.

"Ooo, a business-type leader as well! I like you even more now. Sure, go ahead. Seven Snakes own the majority of this place anyway - I just run it." Slavin retrieved his account book and passed it to Kyle.

Kyle quickly glanced through the book, his eyes rapidly reading and looking out for discrepancies. "I note that most of the workers here usually take off days quite frequently?"

"Everyone in this line of work does. It is fairly exhausting, you know? Even our customers get tired as well." Slavin explained. "We just run out of stamina faster, so we have to rotate our workers regularly. You can see this in our expenditures."

"Indeed. Which is why I have a special proposition for you."

16.png

The nightlife was roaring across the district, with hundreds of factory workers returning from their day job and trying to relax. Many sat at the various cheap food stalls at the markets, eating voraciously to compensate for the gruelling exertion of their jobs, living day-to-day off their measly pay.

Construction workers, wagon drivers and office workers alike mingled in a mess of people, patronizing every stall in the vicinity. Roadside food stall owners worked tirelessly through the night, frying up meat and vegetables in a never-ending cycle. Some grumbled as they ate at the makeshift tables and chairs propped up along the side of the road, knowing they have a long night shift ahead of them as they slurped on whatever concoctions came out from shady pots, only worried about every rakel they spent.

Even kids were out and about, begging on the streets or doing menial jobs for stall owners in return for a pitful wage. Other kids who were far more adventurous slunk through the crowds, snatching wallets and purses.

Drunkards sang and danced their stress and worries away, mingling with the bustling district's ever-growing crowd. Some stumbled home, shoving their way through the crowd. But not everyone made it out of the throng of people unscathed, some disappearing forever.

Streetside food was not the only thing on the menu for customers - the reputable restaurant beneath the brothel was booming as well, serving dishes to well-off families who ran farms, fishing trawlers and forestry companies or did administrative work. Even the enforcers of the Sanctum were having a break, simply enjoying their meals and laughing heartily with each other.

At the side of the restaurant in the dark alleyway, two men were squabbling right outside an inconspicuous entrance leading to a dodgy stairwell from which a clear cloud of Euria Smoke and overpowering perfume wafted down.

"Come on, man, just follow me! It's going to be okay!" An older man slapped the younger one on the back.

"I don't know… I haven't done it before, and I don't know what to do! To be honest, I'm pretty tired after today…"

"That's exactly why you got to get it done today, Niko! Let out all that frustration at the job and have at it. Listen, I know the owner of this place, so just trust me, okay?"

Niko hesitated before nodding slightly. The older man immediately led him up the stairs, entering the brothel.

"Oh my, weren't you just here three days ago?" Slavin smiled at the older man. "Already back for more? Won't your wife miss you?"

"Ah fuck her; she's probably out as well, screwing around. But err, she's still in, right?" The older man leaned on the counter, a knowing look plastered on his face.

"Madison? Of course. In fact, we've recently received some additional products, so her schedule will be changed from every three days to every two days now."

"Really? That's fucking amazing!" The older man was extremely excited, but his mood was suddenly dampened. "Don't think my aging body can keep up with it, I don't have enough grit or stamina to do it that often…"

"Ah, for that we have a special gift for you. And for your newcomer friend as well." Slavin retrieved two potions from behind the counter.

"What's this?" Niko asked curiously, looking at the darkish-yellow potion. He had never ingested a potion before in his life, the cost always being far above his pay and his family's means. What kind of factory worker could afford potions on the regular? Even buying one was like a month's salary for Niko.

"Stamina Recovery Potions, on the house."

"On the house!?" The older man nearly choked on his own tongue as he heard that. "Slavin, you must be rolling in the money now to be able to afford such expensive potions. The price of this would be almost the same as two weeks of pay for me at the factory!"

"Haha, you are all our dear customers! Why can't I help you guys?" Slavin laughed it off.

Niko's eyes' bulged. A potion of this cost, for free? It sounded too good to be true, but before he could question it any further, the older man grabbed the stamina recovery potion from Slavin, popping the cork and immediately downing it.

Niko could visibly see the strength and vitality return to the old man, a far cry from his usual slack posture in the assembly lines. "Ohhh, that hits the spot! Niko, come on and try it!" The older man urged Niko on.

"Uhh, I don't know, maybe I should save it for –"

"Don't worry boy, I'll give you one more after you're… 'satisfied' here." Slavin winked at Niko, who steeled his body. He gave one more hesitant glance at the older man, who nodded vigorously in response.

"You can trust him, Slavin's been here for ages! Come on, boy, when have I ever been wrong? Hmm?"

Niko closed his eyes tightly with trust and drank the potion straight. He could feel the cold liquid rush into his stomach before a hot surging force raged through his muscles, relieving the aches and sores he had to endure on his factory job. Within a short moment, it felt as though he had just woken up after a restful sleep, ready to start the day anew. "This is awesome!"

"Ready to start?" Slavin motioned to a book, already filled with paintings of the girls working here. Niko gave a cursory glance at the book, before shirking away sheepishly. His reaction did not go unnoticed. "No worries then, I can get you a starter girl that will go easy. Follow me."

Slavin led the two to their separate rooms with the girls waiting inside. Niko was still a bit hesitant, worried about what was about to happen. "Sorry, I've never done anything like this before… It's my first time." Niko confessed to Slavin.

Slavin patted his shoulder with a slight smile on his face. "Don't worry, dear boy. You'll be a regular with us in no time."

Chapter 7: Scaling
A week later…

"It's working like a charm." Slavin was gushing over how much money had been made over since the introduction of the Stamina Recovery Potions. "How are you getting all of these potions?"

"A new trade secret of the Seven Snakes," Kyle replied nonchalantly as he tallied the earnings.

A tidy sum of eight thousand rakels over seven days was a significant boost to their revenue. Assuming nothing wrong happened, they were set to make more than forty thousand rakels from this brothel alone every month.

With the potions, the number of repeat customers had increased, along with word of the brothel spreading. Rumours of the vigorous intensity of the sex workers went viral through the district, prompting even more to visit them.

Kyle still had plans to scale this further. "Read this." He passed a rolled-up parchment over to Slavin, who glanced through it, shock even more evident on his face as he read.

"Impressive. Loyalty programs and points will surely make even more customers come in multiple times. Especially when you lock the stamina recovery potion behind the program." Slavin remarked with a surprised look, wondering how the young man had so many ideas. The idea was not unique, but Slavin had never even thought of applying it to a brothel, of all things.

Kyle nodded in response, moving on to the next subject. "With the stamina potions available for your workers, you would have more of them coming in."

"Yes, the size of the brothel isn't enough to accommodate all of them. Even if they were willing to work today, I wouldn't have a room for them…" Slavin sighed.

"How much to expand to the next floors?"

"It won't cost much, about two thousand rakels a month in rent for the next floor. We will still have to do a fair amount of work, though – the place was a complete trash pile the last time I saw it. We will need movers to clear the floor before I get the construction crew in."

"If I get you your movers, how long will it take to construct?"

"Hmm… a week at most. The cost will be about six thousand rakels if I remember correctly. I'll have to check with Reyas again."

"Approved. Get it done as soon as possible."

Returning to the Seven Snake's base, Kyle rallied all of the associates, pausing the production of potions as well as the training that had been ongoing for two weeks now. Kyle could already see slight improvements in the physiques for nearly all of the gang members. Damian too was shaping up to be much fitter than he was before, though this was only the beginning of the training.

Kyle glanced at Keith who was standing at attention as well. "Have you been training as well?"

"Yes, sir, though not to such an extent due to my additional duties."

Kyle inspected Keith's body, noticing there was almost no difference between two weeks ago and now. He said nothing except nodding, but Keith could already read volumes from his disappointed gaze. Keith had always been one of the weakest in the gang, only kept around because of his prior scholar education as well as being Damian's younger brother.

Kyle expected every member to be strong – even his accountants. However, if this was the result of two weeks, Kyle was not expecting any significant improvements on Keith's part anytime soon.

"The training regime will be temporarily paused. Instead, we will clean out an expansion space, one floor above the brothel, to make space for expansion." Kyle explained.

"You mean the Lusty Arcian?" Damian piqued up.

"… Yes." Kyle still barely remembered the name of the brothel. It mattered little to him, only how much money he could make. Everything was about economies of scale.

The associates got ready, moving over to the new floor above the brothel with Damian in the lead. With Slavin's quick connection to the owner of the building, they immediately got access.

Damian entered the floor, almost recoiling at the stench. It was clear that a few squatters used to live here, with their refuse and junk all over the place.

"Work fast! The faster we move, the more money we'll make! Don't you want to be rich?!" Damian ordered, issuing tasks and focusing on which to clear first. The doorway was narrow, so some of the more significant trash that had somehow fused together in a burnt slag pile had to be broken apart.

Over the loud clanging of metal, Damian was overseeing the cleanup diligently, helping out wherever an extra hand was needed. Suddenly, he felt a cold shiver run down his spine as a soothing voice spoke extremely close to his ear, its breath tickling his skin. "Oh, Damian dear, you've grown up so fast."

Damian immediately launched his elbow against whoever was behind, only to be stopped by Slavin, who grinned widely. "You used to be such a cute naļve boy. Now, look at you, underboss of the Seven Snakes."

A bright red blush began to appear slightly on Damian's ears. "That was five years ago; stop teasing me!"

"Do you remember when you first came to the brothel, a new pure soul? Oh, the screams of joy I heard from your room that night…"

Damian's face flushed, with a wave of snickering breaking out through the gang members who were clearly listening in while working. "That was only the first time, alright?"

"Sure, darling. Oh, look here, what a cutie you are." Slavin suddenly walked up to another associate, grabbing his chin and viewing him from all angles. The associate desperately tried to break free of the grip, pulling his head away. However, the grip was rock solid, Slavin only smiling slightly.

"You seemed to be a new face too, and you got great looks. I think you could be the flagship worker of the Lusty Arcian! How about you come work for me at the brothel? Kyle seems not to appreciate your talents. You'll be much better treated here. Customers would love you! And don't worry; I won't take all the profits. You'll get a nice cut."

Fucking hell, am I getting scouted? While the associate was slightly happy at being praised for his looks, the thought of being a sex worker did not appeal to him. "I-i-I think I'm good," the associate said with squashed cheeks as Slavin let him go.

Slavin frowned slightly. "A pity. Oh? How about you?" His eyes lit up again, locking onto another target to add to his employees.

The associates worked as fast as they could, spurred on by the harassment of Slavin's employment advances. Within a single day, the floor was cleared and spotless, allowing the construction crew to begin work on the expansion.

Kyle remained in his office, calculating the total profit. The bulk purchase of ingredients and flasks made the potions exceedingly cheap. It only cost about twenty-seven rakels per potion at the current market rates, which meant that even if he sold the stamina potion for half the price of what Haui sold it to him for, his profit margin would be tenfold.

He could sell it for way lower at a profit margin of twofold, but that would draw unwarranted attention and bring him into direct conflict with Haui and perhaps the Alchemist Guild. I'm still laying the foundations for my own cartel - we'll have to play it slow for a while. Moving too fast with this will backfire rapidly.

Instead of selling the potions outright, it was only provided to brothel customers. Repeat customers could purchase it through the loyalty program, with quantity limited by the number of times they visited.

This reduced the number of waves that would ripple, allowing him to build up his supply system slowly. He glanced at the office table, noting the district map with the gangs' territory marked out. The Red Lions are our closest neighbour. Hmm, it should be about time.

Kyle called for Damian into his office. "It's been about more than two weeks since I took over. I think it is about time."

"Time? Time for what?"

"Expect a few small skirmishes with the Red Lions soon. With the roaring success and rumours of our brothel, it would be surprising to see them take no action at all. Post two associates on rotation to watch for any movements or advances. Any issues, report back to me immediately. Do not fight without me."

16.png

Night-time soon came around again, and this time the brothel's queue of customers even extended all the way out into the alleyway, with dozens of repeat customers willing to wait half an hour to get their fix.

Niko was there in the queue, having waited about fifteen minutes. His leg continuously shifted as he rubbed his hands constantly, a slight jitter visible in his eyes, which darted around the alleyway. He scratched his neck feverishly, feeling that constant numb feeling that permeated his jawline and gums as he continuously slackened his jaw.

No one in the queue really talked with each other, all far too focused on getting to the counter. Niko soon made it to the counter, meeting Slavin for the second time. "Oh, Niko, back so soon?"

Niko scratched the back of his neck while he laughed nervously. "Haha, yea… is Ellie around? I would like to have her again if possible."

"Sorry dear, she's currently occupied, if you don't mind waiting for a little longer. Maybe an hour?"

"That's no problem, I can wait…" Niko's eyes darted to the stamina recovery potions on display shelves behind the counter.

Slavin caught on, a slight grin appearing on his face. "The first two were on the house since you're a newcomer. You'll have to buy the potions through the loyalty program now." He explained the loyalty program to Niko.

Niko instinctively got it – the more you visit, the more you can buy. "This is my second visit, right? So I can buy one?"

"Yes, you can. It's three hundred rakels. Want one?"

The price was high but less extravagant than some of the other alchemist shops nearby in other districts. Niko had done his research, and he knew that doing so would tank his savings tremendously. However, his first time in the brothel was nothing short of a life-changing experience. Slavin could even visibly see Niko begin to radiate more confidence.

Niko was about to hand over the money when a large commotion broke out outside the brothel. Slavin lost his grin, an angry expression coming over his face. "Sorry, Niko, let me just head on outside to deal with some ruffians." He cracked his knuckles before heading out.

Curious about what was happening, Niko returned to the stairwell, only noticing that the alleyway had been blockaded by more than a dozen guys, all wearing red armbands with the crest of a roaring lion on them. They were split in half, covering both ends of the alleyway.

"Been hearing all about your good business, pimp!" The captain of the Red Lion's crew spat on the ground, fiddling with a hammer with neon red arctech engraving along the head and handles. He was the only one wearing some form of armour that was arctech, too, while the rest had basic metal pipes and sticks.

"It'll be a real shame if some hooligans were to break down and scare away your loyal customers. Perhaps you need protection from someone strong, like me. Name's Lionel." A dirty grin erupted on his face while he performing a mocking bow.

Niko noticed the queue was gone, with most of the queuing customers willing to stay behind in fear of getting beaten up. They were here to have a good time, not get into a gang fight. Those who remained were already contemplating making use of the impending havoc to grab a few stamina potions, though they held themselves back, knowing that the Seven Snakes would hunt them down.

He contemplated leaving, but it was already too late – he and a few other customers were trapped inside, with Slavin protecting them. Niko felt useless, weak and incompetent in the face of the dozen Red Lions. What the fuck have I been doing with my life? Working a dumb factory all day, only to get caught in a fight with no real skills to defend myself with…

"Indeed, a real shame. However, we're already protected and covered under the Seven Snakes. So sorry for that, Lionel," Slavin spoke eloquently with a tinge of sarcasm, crossing his arms. He was at least a head over most of the gang members, but it did not intimidate them in the slightest.

"Seven Snakes? That old fat pig Ulon? Bah, he hasn't left his den in years! Looks like you need a lesson on who calls the shots here. " Lionel scoffed.

Slavin's expression remained stoic, staring down Lionel. However, deep down, as strong as he was, he knew he could not fend off this many fighters from raiding the brothel. I'll have to get the customers to escape through one of the other side entrances, though it's far too cramped. His eyes glanced at Niko, who was already trembling as he cowered in the stairwell.

Before Lionel could order a raid on the brothel, a cry of pain erupted from the spilt group of Red Lions opposite him. A loud commotion erupted among the six members, seemingly fighting something.

"Haha! Which idiot decided to interfere?!" Lionel smirked, knowing that his Red Lion members won't lose to any street thug. Most likely, it was a drunk customer trying to defend the brothel or something. At any moment now, he would expect to see a beaten-up body of a no-name.

However, he instead saw a dismembered limb with the Red Lion armband sail through the air towards him, which landed in front of him with a bloody thud. A wave of shock rippled through the Red Lions while a wide smirk appeared on Slavin's face as he realised who it was.

"It seems you're about to receive a lesson yourself." Slavin grinned, rolling up his sleeves.

Chapter 8: Lesson Delivered
Slavin's originally confident face faltered slightly when he only saw Kyle alone, by himself. What the… where is the rest of the Seven Snakes?

But soon, that confidence was restored as he watched Kyle brutally defeat the Red Lion gang members one by one in devastating fashion. It was like watching a theatrical performance rather than an alleyway fight, a picturesque demonstration of prowess and perfection.

"Who the fuck is that? What are all you numbskulls doing? Get him!" Lionel roared, prompting the Red Lions on his side to charge forward to attack Kyle. However, one of them remained behind, clearly shaken.

"What are you waiting for?!" Lionel glared at him with a ferocious stare, but even his intimidation couldn't stop the member from trembling.

"Lio-lio-lionel, that's the guy! That's the guy!"

"The guy? What guy? Speak clearly before I smack you myself!"

"He-he-he was the one killed by Riker two weeks ago before he went missing! It's a ghost!"

"What?!" Lionel took another look at the guy attacking the Red Lions, somehow fending off three at a time in the narrow alleyway.

Kyle was also proficient with his legs, delivering strong kicks that cracked shins and jaws with precision. Already three members were out for the count, one having his limb horribly twisted and bent out of shape by Kyle's martial grapples and body locks.

Before the others could reinforce the rest, Slavin reached out and grabbed a Red Lion's head, smashing it against the nearby wall with a loud resounding crack. "Can't just stand around when the boss is in action."

The members of the Red Lion jostled about as the backline tried to urge the front forward, but the front was reluctant to face Kyle and Slavin on separate sides.

"Screw all of you; I'll show you how it's done!" Lionel roared as he shoved the members aside, coming to the front and charging at Slavin first. The neon red hammer swung wildly at Slavin, forcing him to dodge or block with his arms.

His right forearm took the brunt of a downward hammer strike, but somehow Slavin withstood the pain, allowing him to throw an uppercut at Lionel's chin.

Lionel backed off instinctively, dodging the incoming fist and swapping the hammer to his left hand. With a sideward swing, he nailed Slavin right in the ribs, causing Slavin to gag and stumble backwards.

Slavin winced as he resumed his fighting stance, but a sudden sharp pain suddenly sprouted from where he's been hit first on his right forearm, a searing fire almost burning through his nerves. It was as if there was lava flowing in his veins at a timed interval. Before he could recover, another jabbing pain erupted from his ribs once again. What?

With a smirk on his face, Lionel exploited the weakness, knowing his hammer's arctech engraving effect had kicked in. Three more hits landed on Slavin, with the final one crippling his knee and forcing him down onto the ground. "That's right, stay down like the little dog you are. AND YOU, YOU'RE NEX-"

Lionel was about to taunt the other attacker but soon noticed all six of his guys fighting Kyle had already been taken out. The last was dangling by the neck, Kyle nearly crushing it before throwing him to the side. Kyle did not kill any of them, keeping them barely alive.

Lionel instinctively gulped. Even he did not have the confidence nor ability to fight off six of his own members at the same time. And the enemy looked like he did it with just an enchanted metal pipe.

"It's just one fucker!" Lionel laughed, fake bravado masking the fear in his heart. "He's acting strong; he must already be tired or injured by now. GET HIM!"

The remaining five members hesitated momentarily before they noticed Kyle was showing slight signs of exhaustion. "RED LION!" One of the members yelled, spurring the rest to charge in tandem.

Good, I can now stay at the back and make a retreat if necessary. Lionel smirked to himself, moving slightly towards the back.

As the members rushed towards Kyle, Kyle stretched his limbs and massaged his sore shoulders. "A good warm-up. It's been a while since I went to town."

The first attacker approached, but Kyle threw his enchanted metal pipe into the air instead of preparing to parry.

"What..?" The first attacker glanced upwards, distracted by the soaring metal pipe, before a palm strike from Kyle caved in his lower jaw. The world spun around as Kyle grappled him, tossing him down onto the ground.

Two attackers rushed him from both sides, with Kyle dodging the first hit with a sidestep and grabbing the wrist of the second attacker, tugging him with a martial art spin. In a blink, Kyle spun around and used his body weight to slam them into each other, causing the two of them to topple to the ground. Kyle followed up by stomping hard on his groin, causing the man to let out an unearthly sound.

One last brave attacker charged Kyle, but the soaring metal pipe finally fell back, smacking the attacker right in the back of his head. Disorientated, he was no match for Kyle's swift kicks and punches, forcing him to drop to a knee before Kyle delivered a spinning kick, concussing him.

"Fucking hell, he's not wearing any enchanted gear either!" Lionel was panicking now, preparing to retreat while using the remaining Red Lions as bait. He began to walk to the other exit, only to find Damian and the rest of the Seven Snakes waiting for him patiently.

"The lesson isn't over yet, Lionel." Damian grinned widely.

At the roof of the flanking building, a lone civilian watched the battle intently, jotting down notes on a book and observing through the pulsating pipes. His eyes focused only on Kyle as he subjugated the rest of the Red Lions, writing down the observed strength and reaction of the Seven Snakes members. "Seven Snakes…"

16.png

"Didn't know you were that strong." Slavin flinched as Damian treated his wounds.

"I'm far from being strong. It's not about strength; it's about knowing how to use your body," Kyle replied nonchalantly while observing the rest of the Seven Snakes tying up the Red Lions. They were now slumped against the side, with Lionel's face barely recognisable.

Slavin obviously did not believe him after witnessing what he was capable of, but Kyle sincerely believed in what he stated. Strength? This is nothing compared to what I was capable of previously.

He had explicitly ordered the Seven Snakes to keep all of them alive. Kyle held Lionel's armour piece and hammer in his hands.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

I should learn how these types of equipment are made. Kyle made a mental note to ask Damian later. They seemed to be the primary way the locals of this world fought at a higher level than the ordinary human. Doesn't seem too prolific either; it might be another market to enter.

"Sir, what are we going to do with them?"

"Haul them all into the holding cell and feed them all a Euria-enhanced Stamina Recovery Potion. Give them three a day, then stop for four days."

Damian didn't understand why Kyle was giving away his product for free when it could be sold for twice its cost through the brothel, but he nodded and followed the orders. "Does that apply to Riker as well?"

"No, don't touch him. I have a special plan for him."

An arctech wagon suddenly drove up near the brothel entrance, with four local enforcers stepping out of the wagon. They saw the entire scene, with the Red Lions tied up and Kyle ordering the Seven Snakes associates around.

Kyle glanced over his shoulder, noticing one of the enforcers approaching him, wearing a captain's cap.

"Seems the rumour of Ulon dying was right. Been a while since I've seen the Seven Snakes this coordinated." The enforcer captain remarked as he stood next to Kyle, looking at the scene with clear disinterest. Even the blood oozing and snaking towards the tip of his metal sole barely fazed him, as though gang fights were extremely common in the city.

Kyle reached into his suit's pocket, retrieving a thick pre-prepared envelope and slipping it into the enforcer's pocket. "Just a minor scuffle between friends. That's all." Kyle spoke softly before patting the shoulder of the captain.

"Indeed, just a minor scuffle. Nothing to see here. I suppose we'll be seeing more of this, though?" The captain did not smile just yet, refusing to budge.

Kyle sighed briefly before retrieving another thick pre-prepared envelope and sliding it into the enforcer's pocket again. "Yes, there will be more of this in the future. You shouldn't waste your precious time attending to such minor incidents. Spend some more time with your families. Life is more important, is it not?"
"Indeed, it is. You have a good day, sir." The enforcer captain grinned as he adjusted his pockets and tipped his cap before leaving with his squad.

Kyle soon left along with the prisoners, leaving Niko and the rest of the customers staring in awe. "Holy shit, did you see that? Who the hell was that? I don't remember Seven Snakes having such a strong leader. Even the enforcers did not dare to arrest him directly."
"Yea, that was amazing. I think the Red Lions might seriously be in trouble at this rate."

"That kid can't hold a candle to the Red Lion's boss: not even the Left Paw himself! I've seen him in action recently; man's a monster. If you thought this was cool, you ain't seen nothing yet."

Slavin cleared his throat, motioning for the customers to return to the brothel. Already the sex workers and other customers who had 'finished' during the fight peeked their heads out of the windows to watch the fight, witnessing Kyle.

"That man is the new head of Seven Snakes," Slavin said proudly. "You better expect some big changes around here. And to those of you who were intending to steal from us, think twice."

Niko was completely amazed by Kyle. The way the Seven Snakes appeared was far too cool as well. Could he even join a gang like that?

Back at the Seven Snake's base, Kyle grimaced in his room as he removed his shirt. As intimidating as he looked, he did not manage to avoid a few hits, causing his upper body to be pretty bruised.

The Necklace of Healing provided some much-needed relief, restoring his HP back to full, albeit slowly, with the ten-second cooldown. A quick swig of a Stamina Recovery Potion also relaxed his muscles. Might be time to make some healing potions. I will have to discover the recipe again in a similar fashion. Should not be too hard.

Before the night ended, he called all of the associates into the common area again. "Great work out there. However, this is only the first of many skirmishes." Kyle warned. "Starting tomorrow, we will be focusing on combat training ontop of the already existing physical training regime. I will be teaching all of you directly."

A wave of murmurs spread through the associates, mumbling among each other. The brave gang member who was knocked unconscious smiled with expectation, hoping to prove himself against Kyle.

"Shit, he's teaching us directly? Since when do gang leaders do that?" Another associate whispered to his friend.

"Fuck yeah, I want to be as strong as him. Maybe one day I'll duel him and win."

Kyle overheard that, smirking. "You can try. But before you continue dreaming, I'll provide a demonstration to prepare you mentally."

Kyle led the confused associates to another spare room, where a single Red Lion prisoner was tied up on a chair. He grabbed a nearby Euria-enhanced stamina potion, forcing the liquid down the prisoner's throat. He then used the Necklace of Healing on him slowly, healing the prisoner to full health over a minute.
"Wha.. what's going on?" The Red Lion prisoner was stunned. Was his captor saving him?

Kyle cut the ropes, setting the prisoner free to move about. He turned to face the Seven Snakes' associates. "Since I took over, I noticed a clear lack of brutality in the way we fight, especially last night. Too hesitant. Too slow."

Before the Red Lion prisoner could react, Kyle spun around and delivered a forceful elbow strike right into his nose, causing blood to spurt out and him to collapse on the ground, writhing in pain. The associates were stunned at the sudden outburst of violence but were soon reminded of how Kyle got into his position in the first place.

"Demonstration is over. From tomorrow morning, each of you will take turns to beat him up."

16.png

In another district of the South Sector, the same observation book was being read by a well-dressed gentleman as he paced slowly through a large dining hall filled with people eating away at a grand feast. The candlelight and extravagant furniture were only contrasted with the lack of manners each of the diners had, eating like hooligans at a campfire. Food and liquids were tossed around.

"The Ilysian Punks and the Red Lions seem to be neck and neck, while the Wretches are still tending their wounds from the last three-way war…" The man muttered to himself as he trawled through the observer's logs.

"SEBASTIAN!" A voice bellowed from the end of the long dining table, attracting the attention of everyone. "What are you doing, still working?! The Ardent Cretins don't pay for overtime, you know?" A chorus of laughter erupted from the rest of the diners as a large man stood up and walked to Sebastian.

Sebastian bowed respectfully to the large man, holding the book to his chest. "Sir, as the dominator of the South Sector, it is essential to observe and keep track of every movement within that can potentially threaten our reign."

"Yes, but none of the other gangs in the South Sector can currently match our sheer strength. Ten districts now, with even more to come! Even if we lost every member, there's still me. I alone rule the whole damn place! ISN'T THAT RIGHT, BOYS?!"

"YES, SIR! ARES IS THE STRONGEST IN THE SOUTH!" The Ardent Cretins chanted in response, having practised it often.

"Damn right I am." Ares nodded with satisfaction. "Now, work is important, but I order you to eat now with us!"

Sebastian begrudgingly dragged his feet to an open seat, plopping down on the bench while the diners feasted on the scrumptious food before them.

However, the observer's book was still open on his lap, with Sebastian glancing at it occasionally. A log near the end caught his eye, however. "Seven Snakes has a new leader, and he beat up a dozen Red Lions alone with no arctech equipment? This will be a problem. Further observations will be needed. Perhaps a talk is necessary to soothe ambitions."

Chapter 9: Red Lion
"SEVEN SNAKES! COME OUT!" A man clad in reddish armour bellowed outside the base of the Seven Snakes, attracting the attention of many passers-by. He was flanked by a dozen lightly armoured individuals as well, all bearing the insignia of the Red Lions.

Many of the onlookers gathered far away, watching intently. It's only been barely more than a day since the battle in the alleyway, but the word of Kyle's prowess and his taking over the gang had already spread through the district. It was no surprise that the Red Lions would come to harass the Seven Snakes after such a harrowing defeat, where a dozen Red Lion members were captured.

"COME OUT NOW! TOO SCARED TO DEFEND YOUR OWN TURF?" The man continued yelling loudly.

The entrance to the base suddenly swung open, revealing an obviously disgruntled Kyle who had just woken up, his eyes slightly sleepy. "Who are you?" Kyle asked.

The man was stumped for only a brief moment before cackling loudly. Every movement of his seemed to be geared towards showmanship, showing off his equipment and his dominance over the ordinarily dressed Kyle.

Kyle squinted his eyes. He's putting on a performance for reputation and rumours. Stereotypical.

"Don't you know? I am the great Wrent, Left Paw of the Red Lion! It seems you've been taking good care of my boys."

"And?"

"And?" Wrent's eyebrows twitched slightly at the defiant tone before he resumed his haughty attitude. "I believe you are keeping them as prisoners and would like to have them back. I'm sure you wouldn't want to cause an incident here on this fine day, don't you…?"

"How much?"

"What?"

"How much would it cost in rakels to buy your members?"

Wrent's expression darkened. "Are you implying that we, the honourable Red Lion, would ever be willing to sell our –" A dark yellow potion sailed through the air, with Wrent stumbling to catch it.

Just as he was about to berate Kyle for tossing random objects at him, he took another look at the dark yellow potion, staring intently. "This… this is a Stamina Recovery Potion!" Wrent was no fool – he had already heard rumours of the Seven Snakes selling them through the brothel.

"There's more where that came from. How many would suffice?"

Wrent coughed slightly, his eyes darting around. "Perhaps it would be best if we discuss this inside, away from prying eyes."

Only the two of them entered the office, with Damian standing guard outside.

"I did not expect Ulon to fall so soon," Wrent remarked as he glanced around the office, seeing most of the usual ornaments that Ulon loved to flaunt missing. "Did you come from another gang? I don't recall seeing anyone like you."

"No, I have been in the gang for a while now. I just felt I could do better." Kyle replied, his back exposed to Wrent, who eyed him like a predator.

"Are you not afraid I would kill you right here?" Wrent smirked, his right hand slightly rubbing the pommel of a ruby-engraved sword with a wide grin.

"You can try if you want. I'm sure it will do wonders for your reputation," Kyle replied apathetically, not in the least afraid of Wrent.

The sheer confidence exuded by Kyle slightly frightened Wrent, causing him to be a lot more cautious. This man is not the same as Ulon. The slow method may not work for him. I'll have to fleece him as much as I can. There's no way the debt Ulon racked up is gone within less than two weeks. I know they still owe a million to the Crimson Swords.

Wrent ran his hands over the holster of the guest chair before removing his sword belt and sitting down. "Perhaps your death does not affect my reputation as much as you think. No one knows that you're the new leader yet."

"Enough posturing. We're both businessmen here. Let's get to the point. So, how many?" Kyle began.

He has an intelligent head on his shoulder, and he immediately knew from the start that I didn't care about the prisoners. A dumber gang leader would have refused based on pride. If we weren't enemies, I would have recruited him straight away. Wrent was never worried about the prisoners. Kyle could kill them for all he cared, as long as he got 'compensation'. The Red Lions were a business, not a group based on friendship.

Wrent still found interest in how Kyle was getting so many potions. He had heard the reports of the brothel giving potions to their loyal customers, which prompted him to send a dozen members in the first place. Of course, he planned to use his weight to pressure Kyle into giving more potions than it was reasonable. The Red Lions could then easily sell it off in a heartbeat or use it in their own training.

"You're not getting these potions from Haui's, are you?" Wrent tried to pry deeper.

"That's a trade secret. How many?"

Wrent remained silent for a moment, calculating in his head. A ridiculous amount and cost should suffice. If he rejects, it will tank his reputation, and I will increase the rate of harassment whether or not he releases the prisoners. If he accepts, the gang will be financially ruined, and it will be an easy win.

"Five hundred Stamina Recovery Potions." Wrent declared. Based on Haui's pricing scheme, it was close to three hundred thousand rakels worth of potions. With Seven Snakes in debt, it was nearly impossible for them to even have that much in stock.

"Done. You'll have your full stock in ten days. Let me draft a contract." Kyle retrieved a placeholder contract, filling in the details before handing it over to Wrent for inspection.

Wait, that easily? The potions are worth three hundred thousand! Is he stealing them from an alchemist I've never heard of?

Wrent was still stunned when he read the contract. He checked over the clauses carefully, noting that everything was in order. "A non-aggression pact over the course of the contract…" This meant the Red Lion could not attack the Seven Snakes as long as they adhered to the contract terms. Are my Red Lions' members really that valuable to him? What is he using them for?

As much as they were criminal gangs profiteering from illegal goods, contracts between gangs had to be adhered to. It was an issue of reputation – any gang who quickly broke any truce or ceasefire would immediately lose the trust of both the people and other gangs, leading them to be isolated. Even merchants would not dare to trade with them unless coerced by force. Going against a contract signed willingly was a surefire way to have enemies gang up against the one who broke the contract first.

Three hundred thousand rakels worth of potions was an eye-watering sum to Wrent. And he was basically getting it for free. "I accept." Wrent signed the contract readily. The non-aggression pact is but a façade – the war happens through the businesses and market. If he is as smart as I think he is, I'll need to move my plan much faster ahead.

"Good, send five people to collect fifty potions each day at dusk at this meeting point. Pleasure doing business with you." Kyle led Wrent out.

When Wrent came back out, he let out a hearty laugh, attracting the onlookers who were curious about the resolution. "Seems like you got a good head on your shoulders, Seven Snakes. Smart of you to appease us so readily. Let's return!" He ordered his men to march back to their district.

A showman through and through. Kyle returned inside, with Damian worried. "Sir, what was the agreement? Did we go into more debt?"

"A ten-day truce, along with five hundred potions in total. Fifty to be delivered a day."

Damian was equally stunned, but not for the same reasons as Wrent was. "What? That's it? We churn out two hundred a day, even while training!"

"It's their loss. This gives us time to prepare, though we must shore up our finances. We'll begin the combat training immediately; we're on a timer now. For the potions, make sure the first three deliveries are not Euria-infused. We will only infuse them from the fourth day onwards and in a random fashion. Don't want their alchemist spotting too much."

Kyle acted as an instructor for the entire morning, teaching the associates fighting skills. He used the prisoners as dummies, sending in the associates one by one to beat them up while continuously healing them. The rest were divided into sparring pairs while an associate was beating up a prisoner. Kyle focused on sparring with Damian, drilling into him the fighting essentials.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

After lunch, Damian took over the training, allowing Kyle to focus on preparing for the end of the truce. He did not doubt in his mind that the Red Lion would begin to pressure them now that they were well aware of their ability to produce this many potions. As long as we can hold on for three days after the end of the truce, it's a win for us.

Keith was in Kyle's office, racking his brains over the gang's finances and equipment, his head resting in his hands. "Is it doable?" Kyle asked.

"To get a similar armour set like the Red Lions? I don't think so. It's going to be far too expensive."

"Hmm…" Kyle pondered. He needed to boost the combat capability of his men before the fight broke out. If they could not procure enchanted armour, what other methods did he have?

"Keith, one more task for you. Set up an induction program for new joiners, and procure a few armbands with the logo of the Seven Snakes on them. Have it done by tomorrow."

"New joiners?! We're so tiny. Who would even want to join us?"

Kyle glared silently at Keith, who immediately zipped his mouth and nodded.

More members can help bulk up our numbers, but we need a qualitative improvement across the board. The combat training could only last for ten days – not long enough to drill proper fighting skills into the associates. Sure, the physical training had been running for two weeks, but that was not directly translatable into fighting potential. Kyle needed instantaneous improvements.

His mind thought about the game-like interface that he now had. Supposedly killing people would earn him free stat points, and perhaps even titles. However, the points earned only gave him a slight marginal benefit. It was not worth it for the potential consequence of enforcers breathing down his neck for random murders happening across the Sector – even he did not think he could cover up every kill.

And the number of people he would have to kill in ten days would be absurd to reach a level where he could take on the whole of the Red Lions. He needed something different.

The main way to solve this would be to get more potions, but as it stands, there was no chance in hell that Haui had not heard about the deal with the Red Lions or the Lusty Arcian selling cheaper stamina potions for repeat customers. With the absurd number of potions being supplied for 'free', the market for potions locally must be in peril now.

Kyle decided to tackle this problem head-on, bringing a few associates to visit Haui's shop. He stood just beyond the defensive line of arica traps which surrounded the alchemist's house while the private guards immediately came out and stood opposite, wielding swords and blunt weapons, ready to fight.

The locals around the food market were scampering away, afraid of getting caught in the ensuing fight, while a few brave souls remained to watch the outcome. Even the local enforcers did not dare get in between, keeping a clear distance away as they observed carefully, reporting the meeting to their superiors.

Haui stepped out of the store in his alchemist robes, a slight grin on his face. "I was expecting you to come soon. Are you planning to raze, or to negotiate?"

16.png

image_3.jpg

Chapter 10: Negotiations
"To negotiate, of course." Kyle spoke clearly, causing Haui to raise his eyebrows.

"I don't think one needs seven gang members to perform a rudimentary negotiation."

"Negotiations require an even playing field." Kyle nodded his head at the guards.

A slight smirk appeared on Haui's face, his expression confident. "I doubt your members are as prepared as my private guards. Are you sure these are the only guards I have prepared?"

"Then you would just have to account for me as well."

The two stared at each other for a brief moment, before Haui finally broke out laughing. "Very good. Come in."

Only the two of them entered the store, with the gang members and the guards staring each other down outside.

"I must say, I did not expect you to be the leader of the Seven Snakes gang. I merely thought Damian was paid a few rakels to escort a foreign individual of note around, seeing as how he had to explain everything to you." Haui sat behind the counter, arranging his robes.

"I also did not expect you to have paid for observers around the district as well." Kyle paced around the store slowly, looking at some of the potions he had not examined the last time he came.

"The Seven Snakes can't be the only ones having members patrolling, can they? My business depends on who runs the district. But let's cut the crap."

Haui's demeanour suddenly changed, his eyes glaring at Kyle with ferocity. "You've been undercutting my potions through the brothel and now flooding the market with knockoffs via the Red Lions. Even if Wrent is from another district, the fluctuations in market price would directly affect me and upset the established rule of the Alchemist Guild."

Haui stood up and paced around, picking up a chisel and twirling it in his hands. "There was a myriad of ways I could have gone about this. The moment I heard about the brothel providing half-priced Stamina potions through a … 'loyalty' program, I contemplated an assassination or a kidnapping."

"Except you didn't."

"Indeed. I understand that for you to reverse engineer my potions that fast, you must have an extremely impressive skill or ability to decipher the closely guarded recipes of the Alchemist Guild without external help. Maybe even a device that can do it for you." Haui replied. "And the mass production scale is on the level of factories, something the Alchemist Guild is clamping down hard on to maintain the high price margins. As such, you are extremely valuable as long as you are able to evade detection. If I sent anyone to kill you, it would be a loss for me. I don't believe any organisation I hire would be willing to kill you if they found out the true reason behind the contract." Haui sighed.

"And I can't kill you myself because you are extremely well protected. I doubt this is the full extent of your security forces as well. I would not want to anger the Alchemist Guild either." Kyle replied. This was why he didn't simply just run over and kill Haui – it was far too costly, and he did not know the full extent of Haui's backing.

Haui was a bit surprised before a broad smile appeared on his face. "It appears that we are quite alike, you and me. Neither party can truly eliminate the other; even if we try to, the consequences are far too brutal. So here we are."

"What is your proposal?"

"From my observations, you can't create new potion recipes, seeing as you don't have any formal alchemist training or connections. However, your competence with reverse engineering and mass production gives me great insight into how to target a wider audience and potentially profit off the common people, not just the upper middle class or leaders of gangs. How about this? For every potion you reverse engineer from me, you must provide me with half of the profits indefinitely."

Kyle's eyebrow twitched slightly. Asking for half was daylight robbery. "A tenth. And you must tell me the recipe of the potions."

Both of them smirked, knowing they had entered the negotiation phase.

"The recipe of the potions is strictly off-limits. I am bound by code through the Alchemist Guild never to reveal such information to non-members. It spoils the market for many of the other alchemists, you see. Even the mass production is a no-go. However, the reason why I ask for half is that I am willing to shelter you from the Guild as well, by claiming you are my 'associate'. The recipes will still be off-limits, but you will not suffer repercussions. However, the mass-produced potions must be of a lower quality to truly evade any deep investigation from the guild."

Quality? Is he referring to the 'Basic' tag on the potions. Kyle pondered. Even if he rejected Haui now and went to another alchemist shop to purchase potions, eventually, the Guild would catch onto him as well, seeing how good Haui's informant network is.

"Fine. Two-tenths, but only for a year after for each potion type."

"Ridiculous. Four-tenths, for three years." Haui countered.

"Two-tenths, two years."

"Three-tenths, four years."

"Two-tenths, two years." Kyle was not budging any more.

"Fine. Deal." Haui wrote down a simple contract on a parchment, passing it to Kyle to sign. A non-aggression clause was in there as well, to ensure neither party tried to backstab each other. They still could, just that it would be in breach of the contract.

Contracts between criminals are less of a legal requirement and more of a justification for retaliation. Kyle also did not want to earn a bad reputation for breaking a contract or pact he signed – Ulon had already done enough damage. Similarly, Haui too, had a reputation to protect.

There was another clause where Haui had the right to determine what potion recipes to give Kyle. "You must understand that the more exquisite potions are heavily guarded recipes by the Guild. Under no circumstances can we mass produce this without having a strong enough power base."

"You make it sound like we are already partners."

"Of course. Your profit is mine as well." Haui smiled. He had obtained Kyle as a future distribution network – a free money flow.

Kyle did not lose as much as well. In exchange for money he had gained a direct source of essential potion recipes and a slight protection from the Alchemist Guild.

"Well then, with the Red Lions now well aware of your mass production capabilities and you imprisoning their members, no doubt there will be a fight to come. May I suggest this potion? Again, I cannot provide you with the recipe." Haui handed over two potions: the first being a glossy indigo potion flask, a tinge of red swirling in the liquid within.

image_1.jpg

The second potion was a green potion infused with what seemed to be Poair Leaves that was not dissolved yet.
image_2.jpg

Kyle nodded, taking a few potions. He did not need to pay Haui, as he already provided 20% of the profits.

The two walked to the entrance of the store before Haui stopped Kyle. "A fair warning. The Ardent Cretins already have an observer watching this district. They are always watching. Do not act too overtly if you want to remain under the radar. I'll prefer it if another gang did not steal you away just yet. If you are going to sell potions, do not oversupply like how you did for the Red Lions. Already the Guild may eventually be asking too many questions. Keep any contracts below a hundred at maximum for now."

Haui and Kyle returned outside, only to see the gang members and the private guards already about to come to blows. They were throwing insults at each other with abandon. Haui sighed before calling the private guards back.

The gang members were astonished even as the fight broke up. Today was a day of surprises, seeing Kyle successfully negotiate with two separate individuals.

"Hey, I thought Alv… Kyle was all about simply beating people up? I was almost certain I would see Haui beaten into a pulp."

"Yea, not sure what has gotten into him."

Kyle ordered the gang members to return with him. As he walked, he noticed a lone local enforcer of the Sanctum eyeing him carefully. The enforcers seemed to be on to me as well.

With so many major powers 'watching' him, every action he took from now on had to be measured. Haui was right in that he was indeed planning to sell more potions, but he now had to limit the supply.

This also meant that the pricing point would then be forced to be closer in line with the potions market now. With this, Haui's profit margin for the basic potions would still be fairly secured. A crafty alchemist, I must find a way to either get rid of him or integrate him into the gang. The Alchemist Guild must be extremely dangerous if every alchemist is like this.

Returning to the Seven Snakes' base with the other gang members, Kyle began his potion discovery process again, attempting to find the recipe for the strength potion. More ingredients were involved, so Kyle attempted everything he could think of.

With a simple distillation process, he managed to separate the liquid from the dissolved Greis powder, though another material sludge was mixed into the residue. He grabbed the flask of residue, examining it.

image_3.jpg

He then picked up the condensed liquid that had been distilled.

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

The upgraded title allowed him to see the full ingredients of the strength potion and health potion.

image_6.jpg

image_7.jpg

"One step completed."

16.png

image_8.jpg

Chapter 11: Addiction Symptoms
The training routine went as planned. The main reason why Kyle wanted that many prisoners were due to the mental trauma inflicted on each prisoner after combat training. No prisoner could remain sane after being beaten up by twenty gang members in a row, continuously being healed.

"JUST LET ME DIE!" One of the Red Lion prisoners shook the pig iron bars of his temporary jail violently. They were segregated into separate cages, ensuring they couldn't help each other to break out.

"Shut up, idiot; they can't even hear you from inside this room," Lionel grumbled. It's only been a day since they got imprisoned, but already a few of the members' mental states were at an all-time low.

But there was someone else in the room who clearly had it much worse than anybody else, judging by the continuous groaning, moaning, scratching of nails against rusted metal and clattering of teeth. Lionel glanced over at the cage of Riker, who was lying on the floor, breaking out in a cold sweat and shivering.

Lionel wasn't particularly surprised to see Riker here after they were captured. Kyle was that strong, after all, so he didn't expect Riker to escape either.

"Fucking hell, what did they do to you? Potion overdose?" Lionel asked, but Riker barely registered the question, only turning and tossing about on the cold metal surface.

At this moment, the room's main door opened, revealing Kyle flanked by Damian.

Immediately the other Red Lions members started cursing and swearing at Kyle, blasting them with everything they had ever learnt in their short life within Raktor. Kyle simply raised an eyebrow at some of the more colourful expressions they had for him while Damian was lugging a sack of Stamina Recovery Potions, giving them one each.

Lionel grabbed the dark yellow potion flask, still slightly astonished at how many the Seven Snakes had. This was the third one they'd received since they arrived here. Going by Haui's price, it meant Kyle had spent more than a thousand eight hundred on each prisoner. Is this guy loaded or what?

He noticed Damian didn't give Riker any Stamina Recovery Potions, but the moment Riker's eyes met Lionel's and saw the potion in his hand, Riker turned into some sort of feral beast, lunging at the potion. The bars barely restrained him as Riker forced his arm through, trying to reach for Lionel.

"How many days has it been?" Kyle asked Damian.

"About four full days since we stopped, sir."

"Hmm, he still seems a bit too feisty. Open the cage."

Damian carried out the order, immediately opening the cage. Riker pounced on Kyle, but Kyle immediately parried his attacks and flipped him onto the ground, slamming him down hard.

Riker gagged, a slight froth coming out from his mouth, but he was far too weak to sit up. Lionel could tell Riker had not eaten for maybe a day or so. The food platter was still filled in the cage, with Riker barely touching it at all.

Kyle dragged Riker away from the room, with Damian, shutting the door behind them. A cold shiver ran down Lionel's spine. What in the world are they attempting to do?

Riker was tossed into a spare empty room and tied onto a wooden chair, with only Kyle being the other person inside.

"How are you feeling?"

"f…fuck you…" Riker was still in a cold sweat, his eyes bloodshot as he tried to keep his head up facing Kyle.

Kyle placed his hands on Riker's shoulder, who began to struggle but was unable to break free of the ropes and Kyle's iron grip.

"Inspect. Analyze. Identify."

Nothing appeared.

"Interesting." Kyle thought he might have been able to see a statistical table of Riker or at least a status effect of some sort, but it did not exist. He tried a few more words, but nothing happened. Hmm…

Kyle began to examine Riker carefully, checking his eye reactions, heartbeat, pulse and so on. If only I had a full medical wing here. A side project for the future.

Noted symptoms: Increased sweating, heart rate, hot and cold flashes, slight hallucinations and perhaps loss of vision, not unlike dehydration.

"Riker." Kyle stood in front of him, snapping his fingers to catch Riker's attention.

"If you defeat me now, I'll let you go and give you this potion." Kyle pulled out a Stamina Recovery Potion from his suit's inner pocket.

Riker's eyes were suddenly rejuvenated with life, his head nodding vigorously. Just as Kyle removed the ropes, tying him down to the chair, Riker immediately attacked without hesitation.

Kyle did not counter-attack this time, merely dodging left and right as he observed Riker's muscle movements and reaction timing. Too slow, too weak, lack of awareness. A shadow of his former self. Perfect.

"I've seen enough."

"n-no wait ple-ase!" His hands tried to grab onto Kyle, missing completely as he collapsed onto the floor. Kyle tied him up back with ease, returning him back to his cage.

Damian and Keith waited for him in the office. "Continue to feed Riker, but do not give him any more Euria-infused Stamina Recovery Potions. Moving forward, for the remainder of the prisoners, we will split them into three groups.
  1. Non-Euria Infused Stamina Recovery Potions
  2. Euria Infused Stamina Recovery Potions non-stop
  3. Euria Infused Stamina Recovery Potions, stopping after the first day.

Each gang member will rotate and defeat one of each group every day in combat. At the end of the day, I will heal all of them. Got it?"

Damian nodded, leaving the room to pass down the modified training regime.

"Sir, a few people have shown up at the entrance, wanting to join the Seven Snakes," Keith informed.

Faster than I expected. "Have them all gather in my office as soon as possible."

Ten young men were lined up, their eyes eager and glancing around at the office, as well as staring at Kyle. Niko was among them, having quit his factory job after witnessing his performance of Kyle first-hand, completely enamoured by the prospect of gang life and being strong. How could he accept languishing in mediocrity when greatness was right in front of him?

Kyle recognised most of them as onlookers for the skirmish when he fought the Red Lions. He got up from his chair and inspected them for any irregularities. As he returned to the first of them, he suddenly launched a high kick towards the first's face, only stopping mere millimetres away from his face. The man barely had time to react at all, only stumbling slightly backwards a few moments later in a panic.

"If you're here, you know what you're signing up for. Death is a real possibility." Kyle returned to his standing position. "I am not looking for members who simply want to 'take it easy' or 'boss others' around. Mutual loyalty is an integral part of how I run the gang – do right by me, and I'll do the same for you no matter what happens."

Niko's heart swelled with happiness, his fist clenching as he praised himself for making the right choice here. His prior factory job was soulless, with the manager barely caring if anyone died or was missing. They were just numbers to be replaced. Kyle's words had struck a chord with Niko, causing him and a few others among them to nod their heads vigorously. It was right to come here!

Kyle's modus operandi for the Seven Snakes was vastly different from the Red Lions. His former life as a galactic crime lord has taught him an important lesson in fostering loyalty among even the lowest of members.

He did not do it because he was nice. Conversely, he has identified this method to be the most secure in preventing betrayals. Something he did not do very well in his former life before he was killed by his own friend.

Performing a small beneficial action that is ultimately meaningless to me will mean a great deal to the recipient and will build loyalty over time. A minute cost for a great benefit. Kyle smiled gently as he noticed the happy expressions on their faces.

"There is a war with the Red Lions coming soon in about ten to thirteen days. If anyone wants to back out now, this is your last chance." Kyle said with a stern, serious expression.

None of them backed out, standing firmly. All of them knew of the conflict – for some, it was why they signed up in the first place.

"Good. Keith will now perform an induction program for all of you today. At the end of it, I will present each of you with your armband as 'associates'." Kyle showed the Seven Snakes Armband, which had an elaborate crest on it.

A clear wave of excitement rippled through the ten men. Formal ceremonies to make them feel important are another critical key to retaining loyalty.

The ten men left the office with Keith in the lead, giving them a tour of the base. Kyle headed to the kitchen again, this time staring at the strength potion that now had its full description.

image_1.jpg

He sent for two gang members to collect the required materials of Olio Roots and Yul's Tears, which came in a sack and pot separately.

Kyle's face slightly baulked at the price of the Yul's Tears reported. A pot with five kilograms of Yul's Tears was more than ten thousand rakels. I only hope that the recipe is not too intensive on the percentage of Yul's Tears used…

He internally cursed the Alchemist Guild and Haui for not providing the recipe. However, Kyle was cognizant that he would have done the same thing as well. Recipes and methods of production were far too precious to be freely distributed in this kind of city.

The same brute force method was employed as the last time, albeit with more than four ingredients in the mix, the number of potential combinations was a lot higher. Kyle brought in a few helpers to speed up the process, utilizing the numerous arcite stoves to iterate continually.

At one point, he had more than ten flasks going, writing down on parchment and crossing out combinations he had failed.

Keith soon popped his head in. "Sir, they are ready for the ceremony."

"Good." Instead of being irritated at being interrupted during the process, he put everything down and moved to the common area, where the ten men were already lined up.

The ten men had already seen Kyle working hard, so the action of him immediately stopping just for them caused them to feel even more valued directly by the gang leader.

The ceremony was a simple oath to the gang while Kyle put on the armband for them individually. "You are all now official members of the Seven Snakes, under my protection. I will fight through hell and back to ensure your safety, and I only ask you to do the same for the gang and me."

The ten men bowed with true respect. "Yes, sir!"

The loyalty will take a few days to truly instil and drive it deeper, but it's a start.

Keith showed them to their bunks while Kyle continued trying to figure out the recipe.

The process proved to be difficult. There were a huge amount of potential combinations, and Kyle didn't know when he would complete it. Too many variables were present in the recipe. He now understood why Damian said reverse-engineering alchemy was near impossible without a hint or a guiding book.

As he completed his 60th​ failed potion, a new title appeared for him

image_2.jpg

Suddenly, it was as though three pieces of information appeared in his head, informing him of what the recipe consisted of partially. It seems that for every twenty attempts I make, one of the variables of the recipe is revealed. Hence, with sixty crafted, I now have three variables revealed.

Kyle quickly drew a new combination table, narrowing it down to between two variables, making it simpler. With time, he locked down yet another variable after 20 failed attempts. Kyle could already imagine Haui's face if he knew exactly how Kyle was able to reverse engineer recipes so fast.

A few hours passed through dinnertime before he finally got the recipe down. "15% Greis, 15% Olio Roots, 35% Yul Tears, rest water. Boiled for five minutes." Kyle nearly raged at the sheer amount of Yul Tears he had wasted, having finished the entire pot with only one Strength Potion to show for it. At least another product has been completed. Infusing it with Euria should be possible too.

He did not try to reverse engineer the health potion just yet. It was far too costly to waste the Yul Tears on it – if the percentage were even higher, he might go bankrupt now.

He sat back in his office, eating his late dinner while Keith reported the daily finances to him.

"Sir, you can't keep burning through money like this. We don't have a lot of cash reserves left. Assuming you want to make another set of Strength Potions, it's going to wipe us out for the rest of the month unless we get some revenue in." Keith was worried about the expenditure for reverse engineering the potions.

"It's no problem. The expansion of the brothel will be completed in a few days. Then we will easily make it back. Who are the other rival gangs that are at odds with the Red Lion as well?"

"The Ilysian Punks or the Wretches are the main ones that come to mind, but they have been ignoring us for a long time."

"I want the smaller gangs in adjacent districts. Anyone at the same size as us and lower. Deliver this sealed message to them." Kyle packed a few parchments into message tubes, handing them over to Keith.

"Ah, you want to ask for their help! I'll send it right away."

"No, Keith. We're going to find some customers."

Hey all, I just was informed by a few readers that due to the level of gore, drug abuse and obvious blood and violence, this story thread should be posted under NSFW forum instead of SFW forum.

I will be shifting the chapters over soon, sorry for the mistake. I do apologize for posting in the wrong section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back