• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Anime Thread: Cross Ange

Nervaqus987

Well worn.
65317l.jpg

So, I've been wanting to recommend/talk about this anime for a while now.

I'm not really sure if this is appropriate forum, but it seems to be. If not, the mods can move it to the appropriate place.

Word of warning going into this anime.

There's a trope on TvTropes that I think sums up this series perfectly.

Growing the Beard.

You can click on the link yourself to get the full TvTropes treatment, but I'll summarize. It's basically about shows that start off either bad or mediocre at the beginning, but then find their stride and start rapidly climbing in quality.

That's this show.

The first 2 full episodes and most of episode 3 are terrible. If you're anything like me, you'll start by hating the protagonist, then hating the world in general, then hating the people in said world.

Then the last few minutes of Episode 3 happen and the series's quality starts rapidly improving to the point where I have difficulties believing that the first couple episodes are even part of the same series.

Onto the more positive bits, the action in later episodes is fairly good. The mech action could be better, but I've so far found the human scale fights to be the best in series.

The music is gorgeous and it alone got me through the first few episodes.

The Next Episode segments are also pretty funny and worth watching, which is something I usually never watch.

Hm, so it gets better?

I've basically only heard bad things about it and postponed watching it. May I should put it further up in my anime watching cue.

It gets better, but so far the best thing of the series are Next Episode previews - which involve the characters disparaging the episode you just watched.

All in all, it's about the same level of Gundam Seed Destiny to me - I'll watch the whole series, but almost certainly won't watch it again.

Hm, so it gets better?

I've basically only heard bad things about it and postponed watching it. May I should put it further up in my anime watching cue.

Yep.

It's improved to the point where if I hadn't seen the improvement happening, I'd never believe that it's all the same anime.

I had the same reaction and actually started watching again at episode 11 where El Ragna (the duet insert-song) managed to lure me into going backwards to watch previous episodes.

And then I promptly regret watching chapter 12 due to that weird male version of the song and some random plot that probably will cause them to meet the girl in episode 11.

It's REALLY WEIRD. (But not as weird as some other animes I could name.)

*Studies tome of Nekramancy.*
*Looks at ritual space.*
*Let's see if this works*

Okay, so it's been a couple weeks since this thread saw life. In that time, I didn't update with information on the new episodes because IRL things happened that knocked me off my anime rhythm and I missed watching the episodes. That has been corrected.

So, general thoughts on the two or three episodes I missed.

On one hand, my Yuri Shipper Instincts are displeased. On the other, Ange is adorably tsundere, and I say that as someone who typically dislikes tsunderes.

Plot wise, a good chunk of the setting's backstory has been revealed along with the reasons why the dragons are attacking, where they come from, etc.

Finally, Hilda is super fucking jelly.

I have now watched ep 3. Ange in the preview is peppy... The tone clashes somewhat there. But it's starting to look interesting.

*Nekraa is a slow anime watcher*

I have now watched ep 3. Ange in the preview is peppy... The tone clashes somewhat there. But it's starting to look interesting.

*Nekraa is a slow anime watcher*

Nekraa is very slow anime watcher.

Also yeah, the previews are all peppy. They're pretty much the only previews I ever consistently watched for an anime.

Episode 9:
Ah, the tearful reunion of the separated mother and daughter. How beautiful -.-

Also, Ange was cute when she was sick. "Which direction is right?" :D

Episode 9:
Ah, the tearful reunion of the separated mother and daughter. How beautiful -.-

Also, Ange was cute when she was sick. "Which direction is right?" :D

Ah, Episode 9.

Truly heart warming, isn't it?

And yes, Ange manages to be surprisingly cute at times.

Next for your pleasure, Episode 10. One of my personal favorites. /totalhonesty

Hm, 10 wasn't bad, though I'd not say that it's a favorite.

But yeah, the humans sure are terrible beings. Hypocrisy: Max.

Tusk has an Ecchi Genre field?

11: So let's destroy the world~

And apparently the older brother is a fool who is seduced by a succubus/dragon thingy. Ah, little sister. Your Angelise-oneesama is not there to save you -.-

Si-something, you can't handle the Villkiss. You and Alektra/Jill lack what Ange have. Protagonist Power!

Suddenly! Macross! Or Symphogear. Or one of those animes where you access your power through song.

Big chock! DRAGONs are humans! And Embryo has a silly name.

Last edited:
Hm, 10 wasn't bad, though I'd not say that it's a favorite.

Different strokes I suppose.

I liked the almost relieved way that Ange just went "You know? Fuck all of you."

That and it's the point where I started legitimately shipping Ange and Hilda.

And apparently the older brother is a fool who is seduced by a succubus/dragon thingy. Ah, little sister. Your Angelise-oneesama is not there to save you -.-

You know, I probably shouldn't have responded to that scene by laughing hysterically at Ange's sister calling for help from the person she just tried to publicity execute, but it was just too much for me.

Si-something, you can't handle the Villkiss. You and Alektra/Jill lack what Ange have. Protagonist Power!

Suddenly! Macross! Or Symphogear. Or one of those animes where you access your power through song.

Not to mention a wonderful singing voice.

Gotta hand it to this series, it has awesome music.

Different strokes I suppose.

I liked the almost relieved way that Ange just went "You know? Fuck all of you."

That and it's the point where I started legitimately shipping Ange and Hilda.

You know, I probably shouldn't have responded to that scene by laughing hysterically at Ange's sister calling for help from the person she just tried to publicity execute, but it was just too much for me.

Not to mention a wonderful singing voice.

Gotta hand it to this series, it has awesome music.
It was a nice way for her to react, yeat.

Mm, not much of a shipper, but I can see it. "It felt different with Ange." :D

Don't worry, while I didn't laugh, I did smile and note that she'd kind of burnt that bridge.

And yeah, good music.

Another note: it looks like the system with Mana capable humans and Norma is pretty young. Kind of refreshing, other series have the "false truth" millions of years old most of the time.

It was a nice way for her to react, yeat.

Mm, not much of a shipper, but I can see it. "It felt different with Ange." :D

Don't worry, while I didn't laugh, I did smile and note that she'd kind of burnt that bridge.

And yeah, good music.

Another note: it looks like the system with Mana capable humans and Norma is pretty young. Kind of refreshing, other series have the "false truth" millions of years old most of the time.

Trust me, the shipping will intensify between those two.

And yeah, the Mana/Norma system is a fairly recent thing all things considered. Which like you said is pretty refreshing compared to the usual "Ancient millennia old conspiracy" most series run with.

"Villkiss is a special machine and nothing it could do would surprise me."

And suddenly I can't stop laughing because this is the same machine that was defeated by bras and panties.

Dragon people! Salamanman is exposition fairy dragon! False people and false Earth!

I worry that saving Aura might not be as easy as they seem to think. And even if supplying power to a whole world might not hurt (which I worry that it does) the imprisonment probably isn't good for their mind.

And apparently Vivian is a dragon person. "Okasan-san" -.-' Vivian...

Sport fight! Salala vs Ange! Tusk is himself :<

The song of destruction saves the dragon monstergirls, hurrah!

... Salia, why are you suddenly evil? Ersha and Chris too? Well, I'm not that surprised that Salia and Chris has switched sides, but Ersha!? Embryo is a suspicious guy, don't trust him (did he revive those kids though? Might be why Ersha is with him).

Jill is going all Hard Woman Making Hard Choices (while hard? No, I suspect that she's been doing this for too long). They are all tools! :<

And Tusk is useful for once! Good one, Tusk.

(did he revive those kids though? Might be why Ersha is with him).

Not really a spoiler, but yeah. Embryo did revive the kids, which is why Ersha joined him.

Jill is going all Hard Woman Making Hard Choices (while hard? No, I suspect that she's been doing this for too long). They are all tools! :<

As will rapidly become apparent, Jill is kinda fucked up on multiple levels and not exactly going at things rationally.

Episode 19~

Salia, Ersha and Chris flashbacks/explanations~

... Little sister is worst sister. Really Ange, your parents were great, but they really fouled up with raising your siblings.

Embryo is a creep.

*Sees Embyo get shot in the head several times*

A persistent creep. Also, mind control. I was right to suspect that things wasn't right.

"Tuner". Right, I wonder what that means.

Was amusing to see Ange shot him dead and then see another Embyo walk into view.

And apparently Jill/Alektra and Embryo had some other kind of relationship. Oh my.

Edit: six episodes left (20-25). That's kind of sad.

Episode 19~

Salia, Ersha and Chris flashbacks/explanations~

... Little sister is worst sister. Really Ange, your parents were great, but they really fouled up with raising your siblings.

Yeah, real piece of work, she is.

Embryo is a creep.

*Sees Embyo get shot in the head several times*

A persistent creep. Also, mind control. I was right to suspect that things wasn't right.

Cross Ange drinking game.

Take a drink every time Embroy receives what should be fatal damage.

Don't have much to say about episode 20, but...

Suddeny I ship Riza and Momoka, don't know how it happened... :oops:

And Embryo can feel pain? That useful, I guess?

He can also mess with the brain, amongst other things.

Tsun-tsun Salia?

Hilda is new commander.

Episode 21

Team Salako and Team Hilda to the rescue!

The dragon girl I've forgotten the name of has a good nose.

Um, Chris... You're Embryo's doll now. And yeah, might not have been the nicest thing of your friends, but really? It was when you were young-ish and stupid. And you could've tried to talk with them.

Silly Ersha, be careful with friendly fire. Especially civilians!

Villkis is resting with the fishes.

Worst sister is still worst sister.

And Embryo can control new humans. Of course. Even Momoka can be controlled. It does make sense to have a failsafe or two though.

"Demon of Heiselberg, resident of a nondeterministic world" huh, that's a pretty neat title.

So Embryo has to die to do his revive trick?

Momoka vs Tusk, fight!

Ange interrupt! Momoka comes back to her senses. And suicide attacks Embryo, with a car too.

RIP Momoka. You were Best Maid.

RIP ship Dragon Maid. You only existed for an episode, but you will be missed.

RIP Tusk. Let us be rid of you now.

There's nothing I can really say without spoiling the next episode.

Poor Ange, all alone.

Ersha is sad. Salia is mad. Chris is mad.

Hmhm.

And ship Dragon Maid rises again from the depths! It did not sink, but it submerged like a submarine! I see *sage nod* Dragon Maid is a stealth ship.

Hm, for that I might tolerate you, Tusk.

Embryo is a creep, as always.

And Aura is busy with destroying the world so people can't use the light of mana. How... sad. Now you're even worse than Norma.

So Embryo has a real body hidden away somewhere. Makes sense?

Ersha rises the white bra flag! She has come to her senses. Sort of.

Ange returns to Aurora. Oh my, already cheating on Tusk? :p (well done)

To battle!

And the submarine takes flight.

Return of Worst Sister! Ange, you don't have time to give her a pep-talk. But I do like you attitude. *thumbs up*

Also, my impression of Worst Sister is even worse now -.-

Jill enters the battle. She's pretty impressive. Salia, she's disappointed in you.

Poor Ange, all alone.

Ersha is sad. Salia is mad. Chris is mad.

Hmhm.

And ship Dragon Maid rises again from the depths! It did not sink, but it submerged like a submarine! I see *sage nod* Dragon Maid is a stealth ship.

Hm, for that I might tolerate you, Tusk.

Embryo is a creep, as always.

And Aura is busy with destroying the world so people can't use the light of mana. How... sad. Now you're even worse than Norma.

So Embryo has a real body hidden away somewhere. Makes sense?

Ersha rises the white bra flag! She has come to her senses. Sort of.

Yeah......

Much as I don't mind Momoka surviving, I honestly felt it was an asspull.

Sure, frying pan under her shirt to survive the gun shot. Okay. But what about getting hit by the car, knocked off a cliff and then the car exploding?

Oh, and Tusk survived blowing himself up. Somehow.

Ange returns to Aurora. Oh my, already cheating on Tusk? :p (well done)

I admit, I did enjoy Ange basically going "Yeah, fuck this nonsense. I'm the main character and I hereby declare we're going for the harem route."

Return of Worst Sister! Ange, you don't have time to give her a pep-talk. But I do like you attitude. *thumbs up*

Also, my impression of Worst Sister is even worse now -.-

She is truly terrible, isn't she?

Yeah......

Much as I don't mind Momoka surviving, I honestly felt it was an asspull.

Sure, frying pan under her shirt to survive the gun shot. Okay. But what about getting hit by the car, knocked off a cliff and then the car exploding?

Oh, and Tusk survived blowing himself up. Somehow.
Yeah, I can agree with that.

Why is it called "Cross Ange"?

Answer: Because Ange is always cross!

-.-

Well, ok, I was amused by that.

Anyway, not sure what to say about the last two episodes. Felt like it ended on a slightly disappointing note. And they had to make Embryo into a literal rapist in addition to his other crimes. Apparently.

Oh well. It was a good show. And I have some great music to help me remember it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back