• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Bailey Decides What Original Content To Work On Next [VOTE]

Which setting should get attention first?

• Talented: Additional Playtest

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Obscured Multiverse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spelltide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spellwind

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

tEN

Mischief Maker
I have a number of original works that I've started and haven't really gone anywhere. I want to buckle down and work on one of them, but I'm not sure which one to tackle first. So here I am checking in on which one people find the most interesting. Feel free to ask me questions and get more details before weighing in.

First off we have the prose.

Talented: Additional Playtest is set in a world where your soul allows you to do magic based on your personality or fated inclination, or whatever, exact details are unnecessary, but the point is, if you have a soul, you have one magical talent you can leverage into as many different spells as you can wring out of your conceptual bullshit reamer. This will follow a detachment of Crafted Ones, basically magical robots designed for war. The leader's talent is metalworking. I might do this one as a quest.

Obscured Multiverse is a world exactly like our own where some people happen to have magic, and if you do not have any you are incapable of remembering that magic is a thing. People have affinities for different kinds of magic, built up by both natural inclination and repeated exposure. When an affinity gets strong enough, you develop a manifestation, a physical change to your body that makes you even more in tune with your affinity. Every magical race is actually a group of humans with a manifestation that breeds true. Magic also only really works right on people who have magic, but having magic cast on you raises your connection to magic. So if you are the victim of a magical spell, you will become magic enough to remember that magic is a thing. This would likely be a detective novel following an infomage whose first exposure to magic was a memory spell, trying to figure out who stole what from them and why.

And then the RPG Settings. I'm calling my universe as a whole Spellweather.

Spelltide is set on a single continent cut off from the rest of the world by some pissed off gods. The ocean around the continent is heavily charged with magic that has severe and unpredictable effects, and is called the Changing Seas by the inhabitants. Thousands of years ago, all elves were wizards and had an empire where anybody without spells was basically a slave. Between human monks and halfling armsmen (a unique base class focused around improvised weapons) a rebellion was eventually staged that overthrew the elves and chased them up into the mountains. Many of them fled deep under the mountain, while others collapsed the tunnels and staged a last stand which ended in something of a stalemate. Today, there are two major kinds of elves: the dark elves, the descendants of the elves who bought time for the escaping crowd and have been living on mountaintops with tons of sunlight ever since, and the pale elves, who fled underground and ended up with albinism. Dark elves are your generic fantasy elf, while pale elves have slightly different stats depending on which house you belong to. Being known as a practitioner of arcane magic in most human controlled lands these days is a good way to wind up with a case of the dead, and even divine casters are looked upon with suspicion if they stray from their temples. Instead, there is much more reliance on non-casting magic crafters, which there are actually a fair number of.

Spellwind is set inside a magically crafted full size dyson sphere, where the original creators have left and the spells maintaining it have begun to go a little wonky. As a result, it has developed "poles" and an "equator", with gravity being a little heavier towards the equator and lighter towards the poles, as well as magnetic winds that cause any compass to point vaguely "east". There are three major terrains: deserts full of mineral creatures that will kill and eat you for your bones, rainforests that are relatively safe as long as you move quickly through the peat bog at ground level but become increasingly deadly as you hang around or climb until you breach the canopy and the sky is full of horrible monsters, and calm fairly safe seas with floating towns and the occasional pirate. You can live a calm and peaceful life in a floating town, and they get most of the wood they need through deadfall and driftwood off the rainforests, but you can also make a good, if short, living as a lumberjack. Most adventurers are lumberjacks. There are also a few places where the wonky spells have opened planar rifts which generate other kinds of terrain based on what's on the other side. A rift to the plane of earth, for instance, could easily give rise to a mountain.

Any questions?
[V] Talented: Additional Playtest
[V] Obscured Multiverse
[V] Spelltide
[V] Spellwind
[V] Start work on a whole new Spellweather setting
-[V] Spellrain
-[V] Spellstorm
-[V] Spellquake

[X] Spelltide

It'd be interesting to see someone actually tackle magic v tech and explore it.

I want to actuallydevelop spells based on a theme.

[X] Spellwind

Magical Dyson sphere get!

Only if we get to have elements of Talented:Additional Playtest in the Spellweather series. I like having a theme to my spells.

[X] Talented: Additional Playtest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back