1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Benevolence and Profiteering (Worm CYOA 1 Endbringer SI) + (Mysterious Shopkeeper CYOA)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Snu Snu Kween, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Threadmarks: Prologue - A Shopkeeper's Woes and Machinations
    Snu Snu Kween

Snu Snu Kween CEO of Eldritch Hooters

After a night of questionable choices, the SI takes on the form of an Endbringer. An Endbringer who runs a shop. A shop that sells items that may or may not change the very definition on an S-Class Threat.

Disclaimer: Worm is owned by Wildbow. This fanfiction is a creative outlet and is completely non-profit.

Notes: For any of you that have read my previous work, Can Enbringers Be Dummy Thicc?, I would like to say thank you. I would also like to apologize for not finishing the story as I had lost inspiration along the way. I found the feeling of an unfinished story to be unacceptable to so I will my best for this story. Finally, please feel free to point out any grammatical errors!

Confusion often means a lack of understanding. It is a state of uncertainty from which one can only guess. On the other hand, confusion can also describe a state of bewilderment. Something perplexing and unclear in the sanctity of one’s own mind. Other definitions of the word confusion include an event in which panic has set in or a jumbled mess. As for my own personal confusion, well that is due to a strange dream I had.

It was a dream, like no other, a fantasy in which I became an Endbringer in the world Wildbow had created. The details were hazy, though I remember ancient halls, a tiny dog, and dummy thicc thighs. Needless to say, I spent the whole day racking my brain in an attempt to remember what had transpired. Perhaps it would make for a good story. Alas, not only was I unsuccessful, but I was also left with the desire to write. It was a want to create a story that was both similar and unique. It was a hunger, a gnawing feeling in the back of my mind that would stick in moments of reverie.

Thus, as I watched the sunset over the warm horizon, I steeled myself for what I was about to do. Writing stories was a commitment. A tale could be simple or complicated, and yet with either definition, it would have meaning and substance. As a writer of fiction, I would not want my story to be meaningless, thus I would have to finish what I was going to start. It was a trivial issue in the span of things, but it was my issue. I sought no acclaim, nor did I wish for monetary substance. Instead, I wished to share a retelling of Wildbow’s webnovel, Worm.

“Sigh…” I say this with a longing look on my Eurasian features as I turn away from the windowsill. My view taking in the table that held my desktop computer. It was a modest setup created a year before the pandemic had arrived, one that I had built and paid for. The specs were something that I did not care to think about as I approached the aforementioned table.

Taking a seat on the leather office chair, my hands began to type and click away. First, I opened Chrome and googled for the classical choice, Worm CYOA 1, then I selected the Spacebattles forum page that listed all Worm Choose-Your-Own-Adventures ever created. After scrolling down, I clicked the prompt box that said, ‘spoiler: version 1’. Immediately the familiar and nostalgic list greeted my view as I readied a piece of paper and a pencil to list down my choices.

To start things off, I began with the nature of my Entry. I chose to become an Endbringer, a being of immense power and durability who would systematically attack cities around the globe. They were symbols of terror and destruction, and yet I wanted to be different. Not an Endbringer, not a Friendbringer, but something else entirely. I was to write myself into a Shopbringer!

Eager as I was to break the mold, it left me wondering, How was I going to accomplish such a feat? I thought this to myself as I took my first step by picking a companion. Endbringers were normally solitary, enormous, and inhuman, and thus, they were not allowed to pick companions. I, on the other hand, wanted to bend the rules, and as such, I chose a group that intrigued me greatly.

I wrote each choice down, making sure to keep track of each point I spent as I did so. I skipped the powers section in its entirety because most if not all of the options have already been used extensively. None of the listed abilities interested me, even though every single one of them would allow me to win any encounter I was faced with. They were powers for others, but not for me.

My gaze then arrived upon the Perks and Complications section of the CYOA. It listed down a multitude of options ranging from thinker protection to Endbringer shapeshifting. A lot of them were tempting, especially the ones that allowed me to keep control of how my social interactions panned out. However, I then began to think against taking them.

Invictus was amazing for one’s psyche, but it also removed something I saw as a strength. I would never bat an eyelash in the face of tragedy, I would never break. That level of emotional control would leave me a shell of my former self. Standing tall and resolute, yes, but it all sounded so...detached.

Inspiration felt more like a Master power to me, something like Invictus. However, instead of my will being indomitable, those around me would gain something akin to Invictus. My words, actions, and general self would be so amazing, that everyone would fight with the resolution of a war god. In a sense, it sounded like brainwashing, but with more glamour added to it.

First Impressions was a fine perk for me. It allowed my first meeting with everyone to be pleasant and/or respectful. Factions would be willing to help me out, and it would be trivial to ask for help. At least for the first time. First Impressions was temporary, with only the first meeting going well. This means that my actions would decide whether or not those around me were friends or foes.

Cloak and Dagger was tempting, but the ability to plan perfect assassination and infiltration with no percentage of failure seemed ludicrous. It was truly tempting, however, I thought against it. There were better options for what I had in mind, and I did not want to instantly become a diabolical genius.

Man Power was similar to inspiration, but instead of empowering those you inspired, it was instead a mass recruitment ability. It gave someone the ability to always have backup regardless of what happened. Needless to say, it was not for me.

After much deliberation, I decided with 5 perks, each one adding something without adding too much. It was a perfect little list and yet I had reached the end of the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure without any powers.

Staring down at the beige notebook in front of me I began to realize that I still had 6 points left to spend. An irritated look makes its way to my features as I lift my right hand to press the eraser of my pencil into my cheek, forming a contemplative pose.

It was an amusing quandary that I had gotten myself into. What was an Endbringer without any powers if not a glorified punching bag? So, an idea hatched within me, an idea that I had tried before and failed miserably due to a lack of inspiration and experience.

I would use a different CYOA as my ‘power set’, but this time I would not take a penalty for veering off the intended course. Why? Because creativity should not be punished. Also, nowhere in the post did it state that I was not allowed to use a second CYOA. Besides, what’s the worst that could happen?

Anyways, I began to type, and soon enough I made my way to r/MakeYourChoice, my most frequented subreddit besides r/nosleep. It was a comforting sight to see the familiar postings of CYOA’s and a pinned thread leading to the mega-thread.

I began scrolling down seeing, things like a map for the JRPG Traitor CYOA, Holoscape, and even Artifacts of Arcanum(Final). A holographic Endbringer sounded trippy, but it didn’t work for what I had intended. An Endbringer using magical artifacts sounded quite epic, but again, not for me. I came across a few honorable mentions such as the Delusion of Worlds and The Summoner CYOA, both intriguing and yet personally uninspiring. Not at CYOAs are for everyone after all.

Then I began searching for things like music, food, eldritch, etc. All of which had some amazing entries however...nothing that truly sang to me. It was then that I was broken away from my tab-opening fugue by an email notification detailing that my online shopping order was being delivered.

I smiled at the notification, packages were always nice, especially ones specifically for me. Then, my eyes widened as I began to nurse an idea. I returned my hands to my keyboard and began to type the word shop in the search tab of Reddit. Then I narrowed down my results to only show entries from the makeyourchoice Reddit.

A pleased smile was what my lips formed as a mischievous look beset my eyes. What if I was not an Endbringer that played as much of an active role as the others? What if my Endbringer ability was a shop that sold items and powers that could level the buyer with an S-Class threat? For the right price of course...

I then began to peruse the many options. So many wonderful choices, so many possibilities. From the Magic Item Shop CYOA to the Interdimensional Alchemy Shop. From the Witch’s Cake Shop to the Alien Shop - Sale! So many wonderful choices and yet the one that truly sang to me was the CYOA entitled: A Mysterious Shopkeeper.

I quickly began jotting down the details I wanted. First I chose the size of my store, which in turn gave me points and complications based on the size. Then I chose my theme, something fun like Mystical sounded neat. Then I chose the Exterior Perks, they would benefit the outside of my store and how it would interact with the world.

Whilst perusing the choices my eyes landed on the Supplier Contacts option. It would cut down the time needed to restock my special items in half and it would allow me to choose another theme! I could also select multiple times! I had a bit of an internal debate after that. Each Exterior Perk sounded amazing, and yet I could only choose as many as my perk points allowed me. On the other hand, having multiple themes sounded so fun! I could combine so many aspects and create something truly grand. In the end, I chose Supplier Contacts thrice, allowing me to add three additional themes to my shop.

After selecting the rest of the Exterior Perks, I then scrolled down to check on the Interior Perks. Effects and constants that would affect the inner areas of my shop and anything contained within. Selecting the perks for the interior went by much faster than having to choose for the exterior. I already had a good idea of what I wanted. Though I did select an extra set of rules because having three was a tad bit limiting.

Soon after selecting the Interior perks, I was then tasked with choosing the inventory of my store. Each inventory category would adhere to the different themes I had going for me, which made the four themes I chose seem all the more ludicrous. Most items would be ordinary, however, mixed in with said items were special pieces with ‘mysterious’ effects. Picking between the many choices took me the longest time as I had to internally debate with myself along the way. All the choices were good, however, I could only choose as many as my points would let me.

The first option was Furniture. Couches, chairs, tables, drawers, cabinets, lamps, etc. You name it, the perk had it. However, the sheer amount is not what intrigued me. Rather, it was the effects each item had. Basic items could have mattresses that kept pillows cool or even tables that transported dishes to the sink with the press of a button. Rare items included luxury and high-class furniture, effects can include hover chairs and dressers that clean, mend, and alter your clothes. Finally, the capstone items were rare and powerful items, such as a pantry cabinet that could replicate endless amounts of fresh food. There was also the possibility of a bed that transported people to and from the dream realm.

The options following Furniture had a similar array for possible inventory. All of it would depend on the one using the CYOA. Though possibilities included but were not limited to basic items such as color-changing doilies to energy drinks with no negative side effects, rare items such as a build-your-own-flying-carpet kit and instruments that tutored those who tried to play them, finally there were capstones such as a cereal box that contained a ticket that could grant any wish or a fancy grandfather clock that could mess with time.

The internal debate that ensued was extensive because there we so many categories to choose from. Should I pick vehicles? Perhaps the garden? Maybe I could go with medicine? It was all very tedious as I wanted them all, but there were not enough points to accommodate all of my choices.

At the end of my mental tête-à-tête, I emerged victorious with my inventory chosen. All that was left for me was to select the Knick-Knacks and the Complications of my shop.

Knicks-Knacks were inventory categories that did not quite fit in for a whole area. Instead of having mysterious items generated on the spot, you could choose from a selection of mysterious goods that would be mixed in with the regular knick-knacks. As such I chose a couple of custom candy options, three drinks, one magazine, one novelty item, and gift cards. This would give me a veritable stock of consumable items with useful effects. Many of them were already amusing from the get-go, and some of them sounded fantastic when used properly.

Last but not least came the complications, and I enjoyed none of them. They all sounded tedious and/or boring, at least on a personal level. So I thought to bend the rules some more. Taking the points I had set aside in Worm CYOA 1 and using them to negate the complications I had gained from the Mysterious Shopkeeper CYOA.

I would prefer to gain my problems rather than have a preset dilemma to force my story into needless details about sales quotas and rat infestations.

After jotting down the final details, I let out a breath of satisfaction as I stood up to go smoke. I had my own vices, and I had no excuse for what I was about to do. However, the quarantine-induced cabin fever had gotten to me, and I needed more outlets aside from exercise and video games.

I opened my balcony door and took the pack of smokes from my pockets. I then lit the cigarette with a click lighter and took a drag, the mentholated smoke leaving a minty burn in my throat as I did so. After exhaling the smoke, I noticed that the clouds lingered, probably due to the lack of wind and the cold weather. I paid the sight no mind and instead looked on into the distance as I continued to finish my little smoke break.

I imagined what it would be like to finally post something again. It took a lot of courage to lay one's work bare before a judging crowd, however, I moved past those thoughts earlier in the day.

It took longer than I would like to admit for me to notice that the smoke was not going anywhere. Instead, I was piling up into a swirling cloud just below my waist. I nearly singed my lips, not realizing that I was still dragging the cigarette in my mouth whilst staring at the smoke. The burning heat made me stumble a bit, the smoke now rising into a slow vortex that had enveloped my surroundings.

“W-What the-?!” I say this with panic in my eyes as it becomes too hard to see. The air was difficult to breathe, my eyes stung with tears from the menthol smoke. Gasping for air, I began to lose consciousness as I fell backward.

I was not sure what happened next but although I was certain that my back didn’t crash into the wall. All I could feel was the sensation of falling as the darkness took me.

[Earth Bet - Somewhere in Between]

I opened my eyes...no, that...was not right. It was more like an awareness, rather than a human view. I ‘saw’ towering bookshelves filled to the brim in a maze-like library, a veritable encyclopedia's worth of animals in sizable habitats, an expanse of vehicles ranging from motorcycles to alien ships. It was similar to a bird's eye view, except I could understand every minute detail and goings-on happening in this place. No that’s not right, it’s my place…

I had a primal connection to this place. It was as if this place, or rather my place, was a part of my soul now. Every inch, nook, and cranny was accounted for. The layout in its entirety was laid bare before my awareness.

I could count every item in stock instantly. I could tell which objects have otherworldly properties to them. I could describe each product with an encyclopedic level of knowledge. I could even describe the nude woman standing still in the middle of all of this. Wait...what?

The undressed lady looked so much like a Vampire. Tall, pale gray skin, sharp ears, and gleaming golden eyes. Her hair was long and came down to her shoulder in a slight wave before extending into a braid that trailed all the way down to her bare waist. She had a curious look on her beautifully regal features. She seemed familiar, almost like the tall vampire woman that broke the internet not too long ago. Still, her exquisite beauty was not what further caught my attention.

To balance such an alluring face, the body of a goddess had been brought forth. Her figure was the epitome of the words balanced, bodacious, buxom, and thicc. A perfect hourglass figure straight out of some Japanese businessman’s perverted fantasy. Her real set of honkers defied gravity as they seemed to follow a special law known as jiggle physics. I believe the term is called Gainaxing. A law of physics generally attributed to Anime, in which breasts move independent of gravity and jiggle absurdly with even the smallest motion. Anyways, her waist was packing some serious badonkadonk. So much junk in the trunk that the claps of her ass cheeks might even awaken the dormant Endbringers. Do not even get me started on her thighs! They were so thicc that they could save the lives of thousands. They could crush a thousand watermelons and emerge unscathed!

Pfft~!” I had to cover my mouth as I giggled in amusement. She just looked so hilariously delightful, even though I was not interested in women.

She moved to do the same and that made me pause. Her posture, facial expression, and voice mimicked my own. It was odd and too precise to be a coincidence.

A sort of sinking feeling took over my core as dread filled my face. Wait, I had a core now?

Oh no…” I say this in a voice that is enchanting and worried. It did not sound like my own voice. Still, I had more pressing issues to attend to, like the alien core inside of me.

It was my core, the center of my being. The thing that allowed me to take form. It was my soul, given shape. To say that I was confused would be an understatement of my current duress. One thing came to mind as I racked my brain(core) for any semblance of a clue. I was in my bedroom before this all happened I remember writing down details for a CYOA...

I almost did not want to believe it! That damn Choose-Your-Own-Adventure did this to me! I was an Endbringer now, and not a combat-oriented one at that! How was I supposed to survive what was coming?! I tried to calm down but to no avail as all these new sensations distracted me. I needed to focus.

I took a deep breath even though I had no need for oxygen anymore. Then, focused my vision and awareness solely on myself, lifting my hand away from my face as I did so. What I saw shocked me. My hands and fingers were perfectly balanced, albeit shaking due to my current situation. Supple gray skin covered my hand and arms. If the pigmentation of my limbs was any indicator, then my whole body was now an alluring shade of pale vampiric grey.

I motioned my hands to palm my face. The features feel nothing like my own. I slid my hands downwards only for them to bump into my chest. I gulped as I dared look down, the final nail being hammered on my proverbial coffin as I saw the same pair of double bubble whoppers I had been ogling, bouncing about from the stimulus of my palms.

Fuck!” I say this with my new voice as my legs give out. I wanted to cry and as I thought more on it, the more my core gave in to the changes I desired. Soon enough, tears trailed down my cheeks and my eyes watered up.

What would happen to my family, my parents, my brothers, and my friends? Who was going to teach my nephew and niece how to cook? Who was going to take care of my brothers if something happened to my parents while I was gone?

So many memories and possibilities raced through my mind as I lay there for an inordinate amount of time. I mourned and wailed, the stream of tears pooling at my fingertips as I let it all out. How was I supposed to get home? I do not even remember what the ending for an Endbringer was.

It was painful for me to think about my family now, I was literally a universe apart from them! Even if I did get home, none of them would recognize me. I was now a kinky vampire milf with a soul connected to a supernatural superstore. I felt so homesick and I have not even started my adventure…

I sniffled as I wiped away my tears after realizing that no amount of crying was going to get me home. I needed to play the CYOA and I needed to win. I wanted to taste mom’s cooking again. I wanted to play golf with dad again. I wanted to hug my brothers again. I wanted to walk my dog again. All the things I thought would last were taken from me, and I was going to get them back.

I got up as I steeled myself further. I needed to give this world a taste of what I had to offer, and oh boy did I have something for everyone. A pout-smile formed on my lips as I took one step and found myself in the clothing section of my ‘shop’. My desire to procure a garment led me straight here, to this veritable wonderland of fashion. Racks on racks of clothing, as far as the eye could see. With my will upon this place, the clothes could be arranged by color, fabric, era, etc. There were shoes, socks, stockings, undergarments, pants, skirts, shorts, shirts, dresses, lingerie, and more. This section also contained a veritable selection of costumes and accessories such as jewelry and bags. No doubt this place also contained clothing I had not even heard of.

Mingling within the normalcy of such items were articles of clothing with mysterious capabilities. Many of them had faint traces of power, some contained a great amount of mystery, while a select few held mysteries that would leave the world in wonder. Still, I did not come here to snag a functional piece, as I had hoped to find something more along the lines of haute couture.

I need only swing the racks to produce a swirl of textiles and soon enough the room shifted into a mannequin gallery. Rotating dresses and designs appeared. Perhaps the surrealistic designs of Elsa Schiaparelli. I think this as the mannequins shift into odd poses, producing newly made renditions of the couturier’s classic pieces as well as those made by her predecessors. Schiaparelli’s witty accessories and Salvador Dali-inspired designs were fantastic to look at. Each piece holds a surprise within the surrealistic shapes and patterns.

However, as much as I enjoyed looking at her pieces, such as the skeleton dress and the lobster dinner dress, I thought against wearing them for now. Instead, the mannequins whirled once more, producing regal poses as they produced form-fitting and embroidered designs of Zuhair Murad. The man was a Lebanese fashion designer who produced Prêt-à-porter, haute couture, and bridal designs. His designs have been showcased by many a celebrity on the red carpet.

From the Egyptian two-piece that Kerry Washington wore to the Vanity Fair Oscar Party to Sofia Vergara’s Wedding Dress. Many if not all of Zuhair’s looks were now in front of me. Still, Muhad’s works didn’t feel like they would be the right fit for this body. So I moved on to the impalpable dreams of Michael Cinco.

The Filipino fashion designer was well known for producing gowns that Miss Universe contestants would wear. His most recent collection, the Impalpable Dream of Faith, was a gorgeous depiction of the prelude to hope. It celebrated positivity through vibrant colors, his testimony to the unwavering belief in life and its purpose.

His designs were meant to express, and yet each piece was stunningly gorgeous. I did have a few favorites among the mannequins posed in freeing positions, such as the short-sleeved grey gown and the sleeveless dress with paintings of purple and pink. Still, a designer from my mother’s home country did not feel like the correct choice for a debut. So I saved some of his looks into my memory to use them for another day. I had yet to settle on a designer, though I did wonder about a certain couturier.

Thinking idly, I once again made the mannequins spin, with each one posing with the poise of a ballerina. I had chosen Iris van Herpen, who used 3d printed materials to craft some of the most eye-catching Avante-Garde designs I had ever seen. There was math and engineering behind each of her designs, yet there was a connection between nature and the dresses.

My eyes then landed on one of my favorite collections, the rest of the dresses disappearing from view as the gallery expanded to capitalize on IvH’s Spring Summer collection for 2021, Roots of Rebirth. The designer used technology and artisanal work to give life to each piece, bringing forth notes of nature, entangled life, and fungi.

My picky eye then singled out Look 5 of the collection. The ‘Luminous Lichen’ gown, a regal dress that made one look like a fae queen emerging from the underbrush. Metallic leaf patterns swerve symmetrically over the extremely sheer fabric whilst trails of soft flowing fabric trail past the ends of the dress. It was both enticing, enchanting, and enrapturing. Though I was prone to hyperbole and alliteration, this dress made my heart sing! This was the dress for me, and luckily it also came with a lovely pair of custom stiletto heels.

As I motioned for the dress and shoes to appear on my side, I then thought of Schiaparelli once again. She was one to always accessorize appropriately, so I would be damned if I was caught in a frock without an accessory to compliment it. I thought about her Pagan collection and the iconic hat she released in the Autumn of 1938. It was woven from seagrass and had metallic insects scattered about them. It would be a perfect addiction for what I had planned.

After selecting the main pieces, I then began to look for jewelry. I did not have Antiques as one of my inventory areas so I could not produce the age-old priceless jewelry. However, I knew that with my power I could produce a copy that was made from the same materials, with no history and price. A rather pleased look graced my new femme features as I did just that.

Three dramatic displays appeared before me, the rest of the scenery changing to accommodate stage lights that focused on the three pieces of jewelry that I desired.

The first imitated item was the Panthère de Cartier, a 7 million dollar bracelet in the form of an emerald, onyx, and diamond-studded panther that wrapped around a wrist. The first one was created for the Duchess of Windsor. The real piece also had a long and very romantic history that would take too long for me to reminisce.

The second parlor piece was the L'Incomparable, a 55 million dollar necklace containing rough, heart-shaped, and pear-shaped diamonds with a yellow diamond centerpiece. The real L'Incomparable has a mysterious history as the first record of it came after it was found by a young girl in the Democratic Republic of Congo. She found it in a pile of rubble while playing outside her uncle's house, a lucky find indeed.

The third and final forged jewels were the earrings of Empress Eugénie. Costing around 3.3 million dollars, these grey pearl earrings were held together by yellow gold and accented with large diamonds. The original pair was originally owned by the last empress of France, Eugénie de Montijo, who had a fine jewelry collection to go with her royal standing.

With my bling collecting complete, I then took a step backward and found myself in the crossroads of my unnamed shop. Taking a step forward I then strode into the workshop of my new ‘home’. There were four sections to this place, each one was made for a specific theme. Said themes being Whimsical, Technical, Mystical, and Eldritch. Space seemed to bend around this place, accommodating appliances and items of all shapes and sizes in a disorganized array. There were also classic tools and unknown devices scattered about, however, I paid them no mind as I moved to the alchemical station of the Mystical station. I am not sure what BS my powers were pulling but the exact formulae for transmuting the jewels to match each other came instantly. So, I got to work.

The pieces of jewelry I had selected were large in worn by the average human. Oddly enough the jewelry was small for an Endbringer of my stature. Following the basic rules of accessorizing, I alchemically transmuted the three pieces of jewelry so that they would match. With a swift inscription of transmutation circles and ingredients, the experiment had begun. Each piece of jewelry morphed aside from the panther. The process took a short amount of time as I tapped my foot in anticipation. Soon enough the L'Incomparable and Empress Eugénie earrings were now held in silver, bedazzled with diamonds and onyxes, and centered by emerald and gray pearl.

I breathed in and exhaled a sigh of relief. The experiments were a success!

‘Hurray for BS Endbringer powers.’ I thought this to myself with a satisfied expression and I walked to the technical section of my workshop.

Many high-tech devices had been prebuilt by whatever force or deity that created this place. I had everything that could suit my various needs, one of them being a robotic seamstress that would resize the dress and shoes I had selected. With the press of a button, it whirred to life.

First, it began by scanning my body measurements with an optical ray. Once the exact numbers were given, the seamstress then took the items that needed resizing and went to town with them. It was an impressive combination of 3d printing, sewing, and weaving.

Perhaps the display would be too fast for the human eye but it was no detriment to me as I watched her recreate the Luminous Lichen dress to fit me. It took no less than five minutes to resize and edit a masterpiece that took original designer hours if not days of work. It then did the same with the hat and the shoes. Quickly and daintily finishing off its work.

The machine seamstress then began to help me into the dress, directing me to form poses she desired. Once she was satisfied she gave me a thumbs up and shouted the word “FABULOUS!” in a voice that could only be described as an excited Siri.

To finish my look I put on jewelry, my hat, and my shoes. Then I shifted the shop around me until a mirror was in front of me. The mirror was similar to those you would see in dance studios. A wall of pure mirror, reflecting a vampiric fae goddess decked in jewelry and a hat that cast a shadow over her entire form. I wondered how tall I was and neon measuring lines appeared to reveal that I was 12 feet tall. I looked good, better than good actually. I was drop-dead gorgeous, and I had a body that could drive many to lust.

Still, it felt like something was missing. I thought this to myself as I touched my face. There was no stimulus, but my core knew and my domain knew that my hand was pressed on my cheek. It seems that aside from sight, I lacked the five senses. That was something I wanted to remedy immediately.

Remembering that I had taken the Unbound Form perk from Worm Cyoa 1, so I then began to focus towards my center, down to my core. I felt myself enter a state of dormancy as my core began to modify my form drastically. I used this special time to give my body some functionality such as the five senses. I removed the weaknesses of each sense such as light sensitivity, pain, and the like. Once that had finished I modified my mega dobonhonkeros to contain a pocket dimension that only I could access. It would be hilarious in the long run. All the booby trap possibilities came to mind! Death by motorboat would be a hell of a way to go. Finally, I gave myself a singing voice on the level of a siren queen. It was nowhere near as good as my new sister, the Simurgh, but it was a start.

Once the change was done, I opened my eyes to see that I was somehow back in the center crossroad of my shop. I had no idea how long it took to finish the metamorphosis, but something in the back of my mind, or rather core, told me that I should probably open up shop soon. However, this place was in serious disarray, it looked like a mess of hallways, corridors, and too many products. As a newly dubbed business owner, this unorganized mess was unacceptable, so I had to do something about it.

Focusing on my core again, I used the Distorted Space perk that I had taken from the Mysterious Shopkeeper CYOA. The floor changed to cobblestone, brick walls of different colors rose from the ground, windows vitrified into reality, and decorations formed in tasteful places, and floating lanterns began to take to the air.

It was a fast-paced construction that looked more like one of those construction montage videos you saw on youtube. Floorboards and tiles were set in an instant, stairs and ramps were laid down with incredible haste, and the product displays formed to fit the theme of each building. It was a glorious motion that shook the very core of my store as I concentrated more and more.

Colors painted each building to give a unique feel, chimneys rose to complement the hearth fires, and space bent to my will as the in-betweens of each alleyway would lead to the other side.

Each building then gained a title and signage: Fantastic Furniture, Humble Home Goods, Baffling Books, Fresh Food, Grand Games & Entertainment, Captivating Clothing, Worthy Weapons, Marvelous Music & Shows, Clever Crafts, Prized Pets & Animal Care, Greathearted Garden, Topnotch Travel and Vehicles, and Marvelous Medicine.

Every type of inventory area now had its own unique name and build, and as for the knick-knacks, well, they each had sizeable stands scattered about. Creative Candy, Delightful Drinks, Meaningful Magazines, and Nostalgic Novelty items were the names of each of the stands. Each one spaced between the buildings to create a life-like market street.

Then I liquified the area surrounding the market, creating a portside feel as the area mimicked an ocean. Waves and currents swirling on my whim. It was easy and instantaneous. Everything happening so fast, and since I had refused to check the time, I had no way of knowing how long this all took...

Still, this sandbox-esque remaking of reality excited me. I breathed in the satisfaction as the mass distortions and shifts slowed down, it all came to an end.

I then opened my eyes to take in the view even though my extended awareness already showed me what I wanted to see. My store now resembled a gothic Victorian street with shops and stands on either side. Uneven heights, chimneys on some, different paints, significant signs, multiple materials, and a multitude of decorations were what I would use to describe the buildings. The street, the shops, and the surrounding water were now lit up by floating lanterns, held aloft by alien devices. The roof mimicked a stormy night sky with complete rain, however, it was designed so that the rain and water would never touch and outright avoid the customers.

A soft gothic orchestra filled the place with a dark and mysterious feel. False birds and illusory cats also flitted about the street as fins and fish occasionally broke the surface of the water.

'The place is starting to feel alive!' I thought this to myself as I let mist fill the streets slightly, giving my store a more Victorian feel.

To finish everything off, I focused once more. Space and reality distorted as a hilltop castle emerged from the oceanic depths, it was my homage to Castle Dimitrescu from Resident Evil Village. It would be unreachable for those that did not have my permission. The interior replicating the original castle, however, it lacked undead corpses and rococo paintings.

Sadly, as I did not acquire the Luxury Living perk from the Mysterious Shopkeeper CYOA so the gourmet food and luxury furniture were not automatically included. I had to pull from the available stock within the furniture section to gain furniture fit for royalty. Basic food and lifestyle items restocked infinitely within the castle, but the quality would not compare to the queen-worthy quality a noble like Lady Dimitrescu would have partaken of. It was simply remedied though as I had an infinite stock of amazing items within my store. Plus, I was an accomplished college student and home cook who owned a food business in my...former life.

It was still emotionally painful to remind myself that my life had changed in an instant. Family, friends, and lovers, all gone because of something as simple as filling out two Choose-Your-Own-Adventure prompts. I cursed my fate at the thought of it all.

What grave sin did I commit to deserve this? Sure, I was a sexy vampire milf who owned a pocket dimension where reality bent to my will. Sure, I had magic and technology galore because the store was my oyster. Sure, I fulfilled my childhood dream of getting superpowers...

However...it all seemed so paltry in comparison to my family, my friends, my loved ones, and my dog. How long has it been since I left? Did time flow differently in Earth Bet? Worm CYOA 1 mentioned that I could win and go home but...what if there was no home for me to return to.

It was a very rough existential crisis. One that misted my eyes slightly. I took some time to myself, standing there with no sign of discomfort. I promised myself that I would make it back home. At least I had it better than a masochistic eldritch dog begging to be sat on.

I wiped away the tears and breathed a slow breath as I continued my work. I still had two things to do before opening. The first task was to set the rules of my shop. Taking the Shop Rules perk from the Mysterious Shopkeeper CYOA allowed me to create a set of three simple rules that the customers were compelled to obey. They had to be simple and not something ridiculous like ‘Become the store owner’s slave’. So I once again focused and extended my will to the very fabric that held this place together. I was the extension of my core and yet I felt that this place also contained another core. Not a spare, but a twin. This place was a part of me as I to it. I remembered taking the Additional Cores perk...

"So that's where it went." I said this to myself as I moved on from my surprised reverie to dictate the rules that would govern this dimension.

“No Stealing of any kind,” I say this with a calm voice, my eyes closed in concentration as I felt the thrum of power in my words.

“No violence of any kind.”
    I once again spoke with a mysterious thrum to my voice as it now began to echo slightly.

“No haggling of any kind.” I proclaim this with a louder voice, the thrum and echo gaining.

“No lying of any kind.” I declare this with an even louder voice, the thrum and echo gaining even more than before.

“No usage of parahuman powers and technology without permission.” I am unsure as to how I was calmly shouting at the top of my nonexistent lungs, but my words did resound like thunder.

“You break it, you buy it.” I speak the last rule with the finality and tone of an angered god as reality within my store bends to accommodate these rules, forming them into universal laws.

I then focused on the final touch as I spoke once more. My voice was calm, with no thrum of power and no echo. Serenity gracing my features, as I continued with what I had to say. I was simply stating a fact after all.

“The Midnight Zone is now open for business.”

[Earth Bet - Three Unknown Locations]

Beneath the earth, a hulking titan made of obsidian and cooled magma rumbled in curiosity.

Below the depths, a monstrous serpent decked in green scales swam in excitement.

Beyond the sky, a tall angel beset with manifold wings floated in anticipation, a smirk forming on her lips.

Author’s Note:

Thank you to everyone that read and supported Can Endbringers Be Dummy Thicc?. I would once again like to apologize for mess that my previous work caused and for not finishing the story. I hope you spotted all the little references and nods that I added to the story.

To those of you that are new to my brand of story telling, welcome! I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to read my story, I hope you all enjoyed the Prologue!

Finally, please feel free to ask me any questions. Also, if there are any grammatical errors, please point them out!

2. moon so bright

moon so bright Shining Light

This seems like quite the fun idea - I look forward to seeing where you go!

Throne, ICantRember and Snu Snu Kween like this.
  3. Snu Snu Kween

I'm glad you find the prologue enjoyable! I hope to make the later chapters fun as well! This story idea has been sitting in my head for a while now, so I decided to take a shot in the dark and go for it.

Throne and ICantRember like this.
  4. NuclearBirb

NuclearBirb A mysterious birb.

Very purple prosey. I like it a lot, but the ge but the text feels like it lacks strong emotion.

5. Snu Snu Kween

Indeed, a lot of prose. I'll try to make express the characters emotion more.

ICantRember and NuclearBirb like this.
  6. LightninMan1

LightninMan1 Getting sticky.

The idea of an End bringer running a shop delights me. I am eagerly waiting for more.

Snu Snu Kween likes this.
  7. Snu Snu Kween

I'm glad you liked the idea! Hopefully I can meet everyone's excited expectations.

8. Zedlar

Zedlar Getting out there.

I love the idea of this premise the only other example of this that i know of would be Curio's so i can't wait to see where you taker this

Ajlove likes this.
  9. Snu Snu Kween

Thank you so much for the love! As for Curio's, I haven't heard a mention of that fic in a long time, I'm glad someone else knows about it.

Ajlove likes this.
  10. Thegame01234567

Thegame01234567 Not too sore, are you?

sounds like a fun idea. going to be watching this

11. CollegeStudent#Whatever

CollegeStudent#Whatever Getting sticky.

You need to threadmark it. But other than that, I love what you have so far. Watched!

12. Threadmarks: Grand Opening 1.01
    Snu Snu Kween

Disclaimer: Worm is owned by Wildbow. This fanfiction is a creative outlet and is completely non-profit.

Notes: Thank you all for the wonderful reception. I was utterly floored by all your wonderful comments. As always, please feel free to point out any grammatical errors!

[Earth Bet - Brockton Bay - 04/09/2011]

As I got up from bed, yawning and stretching as I heard the sounds of muffled tunes coming from the bathroom radio. Dad was already up and getting ready for work. I sat upright and turned the alarm clock on my bedside table. It was 6:25 AM, a bit earlier than what the alarm was set for but that was alright. Dad needed to get to work to keep a roof over our heads and I had bigger issues in my life.

For a shitshow starter, I had triggered three months ago after being shoved into my locker. The locker was filled with used toilet paper, bloody tampons, garbage, and other crap that made me scream and vomit! I was trapped, choking on my bile as I cried. I could feel needles and broken shards of glass digging into my skin as I struggled, banging on the door and begging people to let me out.

The three bitches who shoved me into the prison that had once been my locker were laughing at me. Madison Clements, the petite attention whore who played constantly got away with her childish schemes because of her cutesy look at attitude. Sophia Hess, the athletic track star who got violent with me and never got punished because the school needed their star athlete. Emma Barnes, my former best friend, and ringleader of the trio... She fucking betrayed me! After all the things she and I had been through. She used all my secrets against me, broke my Mom’s flute, and got boys to trip and bully me. She was the worst of them all, and yet I couldn’t bring myself to hurt her and her new friends.

I didn’t want to become a monster like them, that and because I wanted to be a hero. However, my origin story was as ugly as it could be. Mom dying, Dad dying on the inside, Emma betraying me, trapped in a locker, spending a fucking week in a coma, and then-!

“Taylor, are you alright?” My Dad’s voice broke me out of my hateful thoughts. He was tall, taller than me, and lanky too. His dark, balding hair only served to make him look weary as his large tired eyes looked at me with worry. The look on his face was concerned and it made me feel bad for making him worry about me.

“I’m fine Dad.” I lied to him as I let go of the alarm clock, a look of surprise on my face as I did so. I didn’t realize that I had the clock in a death grip until now. The indents of the clock left marks on my palm as I felt an aching sting on my hand.

“Are you sure? Maybe you can take a rest day, skip your morning run.” He said this before taking a sip of his coffee. The title ‘World’s Okayest Dad’ was written on it. If only he knew how true that was, though I’d loved him too much to tell him that.

“Yeah, I’m sure. I’ll go freshen up and get ready. I still need to pass by the mall to get some art supplies, it’s on the way back home.” I smile while saying this to him reassuringly. As much as I hated lying to my Dad, it was for the best. He already has enough on his plate as it is.

“Alright, but please don’t forget your pepper spray. Aside from the Empire, the other gangs aren’t picky about their victims.” He says this with a semi-stern look on his face. The tone was more pleading though, so it gave the sense that he was begging rather than pleading.

“I won’t forget Dad, I never do.” I give him a nod as I get up from my bedside seat. One of the perks of my power was that I had a better time memorizing and multitasking, it was one of the silver linings to the trauma I experienced.

He gives one final look of concern before nodding and leaving my humble room. The sound of his old leather shoes creaking the floorboards as he made his way downstairs. We were poor, but we weren’t struggling. Although with how my Dad and I have been lately, we might as well have been surviving off of each other's false reassurances.

I changed into my grey sweatshirt and black jogging pants. Then, I put on my rubbers shoes and glasses before making my way downstairs. I moved from the living room where the coal chute was and made my way to the kitchen. The smell of food wafting strongly from there. My Dad was making breakfast. Ham, scrambled eggs, and toast. It was one of the staples in this house.

“Are you working overtime again Dad?” I say this as I walk past the dining table and chairs on my way to the fridge. Opening the cold storage to grab some orange juice before closing it and getting a good look at what my Dad was wearing.

The man was dressed in grey slacks, a white button-up, and a loosely tied tie. His worn coat hangs behind his usual at the dining table. It was his usual attire for work.

“Yes, I won’t be home till 10 Kiddo. I’m working overtime because Gerry and a couple of others called in sick.” My Dad was the head of the Dockworkers Association. He was in charge of hiring and acting as a spokesperson for his fellow employees. It also seemed that he wouldn’t be home till late tonight, which gave me a chance to work on my secret project later.

“Be safe,” I say this after finishing the Orange Juice. I take a seat on one end of the table as my Dad sets my meal in front of me. He then takes a seat opposite to mine and digs before. Occasionally reading the newspaper while the living room radio played.

It was a steady and silent meal between me and my Dad, however, something caught my attention. Specifically something on the radio.

“Come to The Midnight Zone. A new and amazing shopping experience awaits you just behind our doors. To celebrate our grand opening, we’re giving a special discount to the first 10 customers to grace our halls! Come and join us at 13th street by Jason avenue today~!” The ad was spoken by an old-timey narrator who accentuated his tones like in those black and white films. It was so out of place and mysterious. A new store putting out a radio ad and calling itself ‘The Midnight Zone’ made me wonder what kinds of things the place had on sale. On that matter, who even used the phrase ‘grace our halls’ anymore? It sounded so out of date.

I looked to my Dad to see if he reacted to the spiel the radio had just given. He was still deep into his newspaper, something that didn’t surprise me as I finished my meal. I then walked to kiss him on the cheek before saying goodbye.

“I’ll see you later Dad, I’ll leave dinner in the Microwave for you,” I tell him this as I make my way to the door.

“Be safe!” I hear him shout this as I make my way past the chain-link gate at the side of my house.

I tied my curly, shoulder-length brown hair into a ponytail with a scrunchie I had been keeping in my pockets. I also had pepper spray and my wallet in there, as well as a key to the house. Then I did a few stretches, reaching my toes and twisting my torso.

‘At least gym class is useful for some things.’ I think this to myself with a wistful look as I started my run.

It was a cold and semi-gloomy day out in the city of Brockton Bay. The sun had recently risen and the clouds in the sky blocked most of its rays. It was a perfect day to train while jogging.

I extended my reach as I let the chittering noises fill my mind. I had the power to control insects you see. From the flies buzzing about Mrs. Myers’ garbage to the black widows nesting behind Mr. Krueger’s roses. It was a power that I gained from the locker incident, and though I am proud of my progress, I still had it in my mind to train.

I selected groups to control as I ran, making them perform simple commands like hide and chase. Then I made the bugs create shapes and I rounded a corner, saying hi to old man Kramer who was working on a jigsaw at his porch table. It was amusing and freeing to make wasps create hoops while having roaches jump through them. I wasn’t disgusted by pests anymore. They seemed like my only friends these days.

My thoughts then went to the Gangs as I picked up the pace, pushing my stamina as I made the swarm follow from the shadows. The Empire 88 was a bunch of Neo Nazis and had the most capes to enforce their own brand of hate. The Azn Bad Boys were Asians who could do a lot of damage with just two capes, they usually resorted to intimidation and murder. Last and certainly the least were the Merchants, they had three capes and made money off of drugs. There were some other groups but the three I hastily described are the most prominent.

Life was hard in the bay as it was. The economy was crashing because of the Boat Graveyard. Brockton used to deal in a lot of ship trade, but after the rise of the second Endbringer, Leviathan, all forms of sea trade were killed.

No seaside business could survive the Endbringer of the seas. It was one of three monstrosities that caused the deaths of millions. The most notable of its achievements was the sinking of Kyushu after it was pushed back by Lung.

Lung was the leader of the ABB, a cape who was known for regeneration, draconic transformation, and pyrokinesis. He managed to change with enough time to fight Leviathan, and he nearly won too. I wouldn’t want to face someone like him, I wasn’t strong enough yet. Even then, what could my swarm of insects, who were currently swarming just out of view, do against a giant flaming dragon? It would be a losing battle at most.

I moved thoughts away from Lung as I slowed down slightly, pacing myself so I wouldn’t need to gasp for air later. I then sent out signals to my swarm to disperse as I passed by the last of the residential housing and entered a busier street in the city.

This detour wasn’t part of my usual routine, but I really wanted to pass by the new store the radio mentioned. The Midnight Zone, it was called. Strange name for a shop that could afford a radio ad. I was generally curious and I had time to burn as I didn’t have any plans today.

The city grew brighter as the clouds shifted slightly. The sun was rising higher, it was probably breaking past 7:30 AM by now. I wiped what little sweat there was on my forehead, partly because it was cold out and the other due to my improved stamina. I took a deep breath as I made my way to Jason Avenue. It was a smaller shopping district in between Empire and ABB territory. Most of the people were always careful in case a cape fight broke out, but for the most part, this place was safe. The avenue was a neutral gap after all.

I paid less attention to the random stores, but one of them caught my eye. It was a clothing store that had a photograph of Emma modeling a few of the store's clothes. Jealousy and anger welled up inside of me. A redhead like her had all the right curves in all the right places. She was the type that boys went gaga over and I was stuck with a flat chest and ass. It wasn’t fair.

‘At least I had better legs.’ I thought this to myself as I turned away from the large ad as if it had offended me. Former best friend or not, Emma was undeniably prettier than me.

I then began to jog, hoping to get to 13th street soon. The clouds were getting darker and it looked like it was about to rain. My thoughts then wandered to my dreams. I wanted to be a hero, someone that people looked up to like Armsmaster or Alexandria. Nobody would look down on me if I worked hard enough to become like them. I liked to dream big, it was one of the only reprieves I could afford.

I would make Mom proud. She died three years ago after a car crash. She had thin expressive lips like me and was tall and beautiful. Dad and I loved her very much and she felt the same way but…then she was gone. An accident caused by a cellphone, calling while driving, the police said. It’s probably why I never got my hands on a cellphone. They reminded Dad of the day Mom passed away.

She used to call me her Little Owl, I’m not sure why but I enjoyed the nickname. I remember receiving her flute after she died, one of my only mementos of her. I also remember Emma taking it from me, Sophia holding me back as Madison laughed. They broke Mom’s flute, the only thing I had left from her. It was the day I truly considered Emma my enemy, the day I lost all semblance of care for her.

I thought about taking my revenge after I triggered. It would be so easy to go on a jog before sunrise and pass by Emma’s house. Have her drown in all sorts of vermin as I made the insects eat her alive. It was a thought that sprung from anger. How else was I supposed to feel after what she did? The amount of restraint I practiced made me look weak, but at least I didn’t let myself become a monster.

My thoughts on revenge ceased as I rounded the corner to 13th street. Normally this place had been empty of shops as it was filled with painted lines, and parking space, however on the far end was a large building made of grey stone blocks. It looked more like a castle than a store as it had vines growing over its walls. That was weird. How did a new building have vines growing all over it as if it had been there for ages? Did they have a cape that could control plants? Were the vines fake? It was curious and strange.

An arching wooden sign was placed about a smaller castle gate, it had the words I had been looking for. The Midnight Zone was ornately carved over wood that had been painted blue and black with small silver stars. So, this was the new place, surrounded by a bunch of parking lots. As I made my way over, I noticed a hanging plaque on the side of the gate that said the word Open.

‘Well, I might as well go in. I made it all the way here after all.’ I thought this to myself as I pushed the doors open and walked inside.

I found myself standing on a bridge, with an endless expanse of water on either side. In front of me was a gorgeous yet misty street filled with colorful shops made of brick, wood, and glass. There were gothic and ornate lanterns floating in the air, with little propellers holding them up. They shined warm colors of lights over the land and seascape. Soft classical music played in the air with no apparent source. There were animals too. Dolphins diving up and down in the distance of the water. Cats and birds were flitting about. There were decorations, like candles, signs, plants, etc. It was beautiful.

Wait…

Something like this shouldn’t be possible unless…

Cape! I thought this to myself realize that I had ignored the tall woman who was walking toward me. I hurriedly turned around to find that the exit was gone. I wanted to reach out to my swarm but I couldn’t. I didn’t know why but the urge to use my power was gone.

‘Am I being mastered?’ I thought this to myself as I turned to face the growing shadow behind me. My jaw dropped at the sight of her.

The tall woman was more than double my height, she wore a beige sun hat over her dark wavy hair that was braided midway. She had a loose bang that framed the right side of her gorgeous face. If Emma was youthful and pretty, this woman was an incomparable cool beauty. She had regal features, the kind both girls and boys dreamed about. Her makeup consisted of black eyeliner, faint red eyeshadow, and blood-red lipstick. Her skin and an alluring shade of grey and she had sharp ears, like the elves Greg liked to talk about. She had amazing jewels decked on her ears and neck. Her dress was sheer, lined with pale greenish-gold leaves and flowing silk.

Then I looked down and I saw them…

I couldn’t help but gasp at the sight of her boobs! THEY. WERE. HUGE! How were they bigger than my head? How did they stay up like that? How were they bouncing so much? Just how?!

I don’t know how long I spent staring at the tall woman’s chest, and I didn’t want to find out. I had no idea whether she was a hero or a villain, and I couldn’t bring myself to use my power for some reason.

‘Did she have some kind of master power centered around her boobs?!’ I thought this to myself in a panic as I gulped. I didn’t have any options, I couldn’t use my powers, and I was trapped in a tinker or shaker dimension with a big booby vampire lady with a big hat and a pretty dress.

I see her stretch her arms out and I close my eyes.

‘So this is how it ends…’ I think this to myself as I bite my lip, I couldn’t even bring myself to cry. I didn’t want to seem weak in my final moments.

‘POP!’

[Earth Bet - The Midnight Zone - 04/09/2011]

As the underwater confetti cannons exploded with sparkles and streamers, I grinned with glee! My first customer had just arrived, and what a customer she was! The girl before me was none other than Taylor Hebert, the heroine of the original tale of Worm!

The feeling transmitting through me via my core was an acceptable mix of excitement, admiration, and glee. It was not every day you got to meet the heroine of a tale in real life. Unless you count meeting actors in movies, which I do not. However, I do not know how, and I do not know when, but I will get her autograph!

“Welcome,” I say this with loud, excited sass as I continue to speak with my British accent, “to The Midnight Zone~!” I finished with a flourish of my hat as I bowed towards Taylor. The rain of streamers, confetti, and glitter disappeared as I did so. The girl was gawking with her adorable features. She must have been awed by my creations and showmanship. A pleasant feeling rises within me as I get a better look at her.

Large eyes, thin expressive lips, and gawky features, just like Wildbow had described! Her curly brown hair was tied into a makeshift bun and she was wearing grey and black jogging pants. She had old running shoes on, and she was sweating. She most likely jogged all the way here.

“S-So you’re not trying to kill me?” Taylor says this with a sigh of relief as I look aghast. Did I give off a threatening demeanor? Was it the dress? Was it my hooters? I felt a pang of guilt shoot through me, the girl must have been so confused. No matter, because I needed to reassure the poor girl.

“Good heavens no! My Dear child, I am a shopkeeper. I promise that I mean you no harm.” I say this with a reassuring tone as Taylor’s posture becomes less tense. She believed me, and I internally sighed in my own alien way. It seems First Impressions finally activated.

“I believe you,” Taylor says this as she gives me a half-smile and nods. Thank goodness for First Impressions. Otherwise, the girl might have run away screaming. Taylor Hebert had already been through so much, what with her mother’s passing, her neglectful father, and the abuse she endured in Winslow. I did not want to disrespect her struggles by giving her a look of pity, so I refrained from pouting. She has not even begun her journey and she has already been through so much. I would treat her with the respect she deserved.

“I thank you for accepting my apology. Now, what brings you to my humble establishment Miss?” I motion for her to introduce herself as I speak with curiosity in my voice, tilting my head slightly after waving my hand. A welcoming smile on my lips as my eyes gave a look of delight. I could tell she was still feeling a bit confused, perhaps the confetti cannons made me come on too strong.

“Oh um, my name’s Taylor and I just wanted to get some art supplies.” She says this in a shy voice, her posture at ease. She looked like she wanted to continue, so I raised my brow slightly and let her. The sounds of the sea, rain, and wildlife in the background as she spoke once more.

“Sorry for assuming you were a villain,” Taylor says this while looking me straight in the eye. One of the rules of The Midnight Zone dictated that any form of lying was not allowed, so I knew the girl was being sincere. There was an unmistakable hint of bravery in her eyes, it was a look that told me she wasn’t going to run or back down.

“Apology accepted. Now, before we begin gathering the art supplies you mentioned, do you have any questions for me?” I motion for her to take a seat as I speak, an ornate bench appearing from the stone beside us. It was simple enough to change the reality inside The Midnight Zone with the Distorted Space perk. The aforementioned bench was made of teak wood, upholstered with soft, olive green cloth and memory foam.

Taylor had to perform a quick double, giving me a look that said ‘Your powers are bullshit.’ I gave her a look of feigned innocence as we both took a seat. Taylor then took a deep breath as if to ready herself for the things she wanted to ask me.

“Who are you? Are you a new cape in town? And, what is this place?” Taylor spoke a bit rapidly, partially from excitement and the other from her fascination with capes. She adjusted herself on the bench, her ‘cape geek’ persona appearing at that moment. Her posture made it seem like she enjoyed the feeling and reprieve of being able to sit after her run.

“In order then?” I ask her while raising my eyebrow, giving her an amused smile as I did so. She nods, her eyes brimming with curiosity.

“Hm well, today I would like to be called Scarletta, but tomorrow I will most likely go by a different name.” I poke my cheek ever so slightly and I lean into the bench more, a coy look on my features as I do so.

“As for whether I’m a cape or not,” I say this I turn to the windy seas within my realm, “I am not what you could call a Parahuman. I do not have a Corona Pollentia.” My voice took on a pensive tone as I looked at the rain falling onto the crashing waves ahead of me and Taylor. The entrance bridge, unlike the rest of my realm, was completely devoid of any rain. Partially because I didn’t want the confetti, streamers, and glitter and the other part was because I wanted the bridge to look dry and safe.

“But if you’re not a Cape then…” Taylor trailed off in wonder as she followed my gaze, the silhouette of a whale breaking the surface of the waves off in the distance. There was a twinkle of awe in her eyes, one that made me huff internally with pride. I toot my own horn when I say that I truly outdid myself with the design I set and imagined for The Midnight Zone.

“Then, what am I if not a cape?” An amused yet inquisitive look appears on my face as I motion towards myself elegantly. Turning towards Taylor, I see her adjust her glasses and purse her lips, nodding as she did so. Her gaze was still mesmerized by the procession of sea life beyond the bridge. Sadly, I had to burst her bubble ever so slightly.

“The answer is simple and yet the complications that would arise from speaking the truth are quite numerous. I’m sorry but I can not tell you what I am yet. Perhaps someday but not today my Dear.” My tone was giving off a hint of sadness.

‘Besides, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you,’ I think this to myself as I give the girl an apologetic pout after speaking, clasping my hands above my chest and nodding towards her as if to ask for forgiveness. I truly felt bad for not being able to answer her questions but, it would be best if she did not know my true nature as the 4th Endbringer.

“That's fine but,” Taylor says this as she brushes some of her curls that had been caught by the sea breeze away from her face, “what about the last question I asked you?” Her glasses obscured my view of her gaze as tilted her head in a way that caught the lantern light just right. However, Ever-Present Awareness allowed me to know that her eyes had narrowed slightly. A pout was threatening to break out from my lips as she tried to hide her disappointment because I could not give her an answer.

“Well,” I say I get up, brushing the non-existent dust off my skirt as I did so, “This place is my home, my store, and my realm. Though it would serve you better for me to show and tell.” I say this as I turn my back to the girl who was destined to save the world, my hand motions for her to follow in a lady-like manner. It only took a moment for Taylor to ready herself, all the apprehension she held was now gone. I was glad that she was ready for our little impromptu tour.

As Taylor and I walked over the bridge that served as one of the three entrances to The Midnight Zone, the neverending rain in my realm continued to pour. However, much to Taylor’s surprise the rain and the water on the concrete bent at impossible angles as both avoided us at all costs.

“The careful rain is one of the many mysteries that exist within The Midnight Zone. It is a never-ending tide that floods the seas, and yet each drop and puddle avoids you and me.” I say this with a tone of grandeur as we pass by the average workers created by the Assistants perk. They looked like people whose faces you would miss in a crowd. Average looks, bland personalities, and without full autonomy, they served as semi-robotic helpers, although they looked very much human. They all bowed towards me and Taylor extended welcome greetings and good morning wishes.

“It’s weird but,'' Taylor says this as she extends her hand out in curiosity, only for the rain to avoid her outstretched arm, “not in a bad way.” A tone of curious wonder was what she produced as she looked at the Assistants who bowed as they greeted us. I could only hope that this was a positive turn of events.

“The Assistants here are projections dear Taylor, you need not worry. They are an extension of my power, existing only when the store is open.” I told her reassuringly as we walked through the rainy lantern-lit streets. Arriving at the Clever Crafts building. It was a building made out of deep blue bricks, steel frames, and reflective windows. The sign that dictated its name was placed above the door. A steel plaque that had the title ‘Clever Crafts’ engraved into it with a silvery finish. The door was made of steel and glass, allowing for a touch of modernity to the otherwise archaic design.

“Here we are my Dear, the Clever Crafts building of The Midnight Zone! It has everything you need from high-tech equipment to dragon hides. We also have an endless variety for knitting, sewing, carpentry, sculpture, basket-weaving, taxidermy, and many many more!” I placed my hands on either side of my waist as I beam at Taylor with pride. I had worked hard to salvage the mess that this place used to be.

“It looks a little cramped inside,” Taylor says this with a doubtful tone that made me smirk coyly at her.

“Do not let appearances fool you, my Dear,” I say this as I open the door, a bell sound ringing even though there was no bell to be found. I hold the door open while motioning for her to get inside. She raises her eyebrow at me with an expression of doubt as she enters Clever Crafts.

“...Woah....” Taylor, who was not sure at first, was now staring in awe of the inventory and sheer size of Clever Crafts. Aisles and columns were dictating different materials and items with seemingly no end. The Clever Crafts store was divided into four massic corners farther than the eye could see, large lanes divvying up space for the four themes I had chosen. Mystical and Technical were located at the front, while Eldritch and Whimsical could be found further back. Clever Crafts had rotating displays, alien containers, and portraits depicting memes from my world in a Rembrandt style of painting. I may be formal, but I am also cultured.

“Indeed my Dear, ‘whoa’ is the appropriate reaction to the sheer depth and breadth of Clever Crafts. Please have your way with my wares, I shall be here waiting for you.” I say as I step to the side, motioning for her to take a walk through the surely stacked shelves. My face gave her a serene smile as I bowed slightly. A pleased feeling welled up inside of me as it seemed Tayler had been awed yet again.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to get lost here.” Taylor looked unsure as she spoke with a slightly dejected tone when I suggested she go on her own. I would guess that the girl was afraid of my not being here when she got back. A fear of abandonment after what Emma had done to her…

The thought made my nonexistent blood boil. That cankerous redheaded sow had the gall to mistreat the pure cinnamon roll before me. Revenge would be had one day, but not today. Today was the day I showed Taylor that kindness did exist in this world.

“If my presence makes you more comfortable, then I shall endeavor to chaperone you, my Dear. That is if you want me to?” I reply to her with a question spoken in a reassuring tone while giving her a motherly smile. She was so young and yet she would soon be faced with all the horrors this world had to offer. I wanted to do what I could to protect her, however, now was not the time for protective plotting.

“Yeah, I’d like that.” For the first time since she arrived, Taylor smiled at me. My intangible heart melted at the sight of it as I gave her a nod. Then, we made our way into the maze of shelves, Assistant number 9 waving and wishing us good luck as we did so.

[30 minutes later]

I had to admit, I was not expecting Taylor to be so inquisitive. She asked me questions ranging from the authenticity of my wares, to the level of technology that was for sale, and even the history of my shop. I told her everything she needed and wanted to know, although I had to give her a heavily edited version of my history.

We shared a few laughs whenever we came across some of the meme portraits. I told her vague descriptions of my younger siblings, mentioning that they looked nothing like me, but they were family nonetheless. Taylor then shared some details about her family, though she did not mention anything about the trio. Our rapport was quite nice, and I knew she and I were warming up to each other. Somehow she and I could tell each other’s sincerity, and I even managed to convince her to follow me into Fresh Food to pick out some items for a special dinner tonight. The resulting list of items was interesting, to say the least.

Taylor had chosen a set of vivid paints made from crushed mandrake flowers, a set of alien art tools complete with an instruction manual, wood from a tree that grew only in the dreamlands, and cleaning spray from Clever Crafts. The last item was the only one that could be counted as special as it had the mysterious ability to clean anything it was sprayed on. She found the common item without any help from me, mind you. Although I did steer her clear from the more dangerous materials and tools found in the Eldritch section. Her mind was not yet ready for such twisted horror.

Once we arrived at Fresh Food, Taylor picked out vegetables that grew in complete darkness, beef with fat that had positive side effects, two packets of rice farmed in a time dilated greenhouse and a dozen duck eggs. I threw in a Japanese cookbook and some soy sauce for free. She had two items of a common rarity now, the cleaning spray and the meat with healthy, non-fattening fat. I wonder what she was going to do with all the stuff she gathered.

“Did you need anything else, Taylor? Perhaps a refreshment from the Delightful Drinks stand?” I ask this as we made our way to the checkout. She seemed to have a troubled look on her face, a look that I hadn’t noticed until now.

“I’m alright Miss Scarletta, I just wonder how I’m going to pay for all of this. I only brought 20 dollars and 2 quarters.” She admits this with a tone of resignation. It seems Taylor fully expected me to clear some items off of her cart.

“Trust me, my Dear, it’s more than enough. You forget that you are the first of 10 to receive a special discount in celebration of my soft opening.” My words seemed to take effect immediately as she gave me a hopeful smile.

Taylor and I then shared a comfortable silence as Assistant number 4, a dark-skinned woman with short, curly hair, worked the register and scanned invisible barcodes on the items. The projected worker was dressed in the same uniform as her brothers and sisters. A white short-sleeved button-up, black aprons, gray rubber gloves, dark grey slacks, and black boat shoes with white soles. A monochromatic look I know, but it looked comfortable and fashion-forward at the same time.

“Your total bill is 13 dollars and 35 cents.” Assistant number 4 says this with a small smile and she motions for Taylor to hand her the payment. Taylor gave me and my clerk minion an incredulous. The price was very low with regards to the items she had taken, I had gauged more than 50% off of her bill.

“Really?” Taylor says this with a doubtful tone, it seems she was not expecting the price to be that low.

“Yes,” I say this with an honest tone, my right hand leaning against the counter and the other on my waist.

“Thank you. I meant it.” Taylor says this as she hands the 20 dollar bill to Assistant number 4. My smile never wavered as the exchange happened.

“This is a Paper Bag of Holding,” The clerk with rich skin tone colors says with a neutral, need-to-know voice, “It will hold all your purchases and keep them safe for the next 2 hours. After the time limit is passed, the paper bag will lose all efficacy and expel all your purchases neatly on the floor. Your total charge is 6 dollars and 65 cents, thank you for shopping at The Midnight Zone. Would you like to apply for a membership card at no added cost?” Assistant number 4 offers the option as she hands Taylor a black paper bag with The Midnight Zone logo painted on it, complete with metallic stars motifs that shifted between gold, purple, and blue.

“Um…” Taylor trails off as she turns to me for an explanation. I exhale a breath of amusement as I motioned for Assistant number 4 to stand by.

“The membership card will give you one roll from the daily lottery with every first purchase of the day. You can also use the card to accumulate points to redeem discounts and special prizes.” I say this with a formal, educating tone as I look to her for a reply.

“Sure,” Taylor turns to Assistant number 4 as she speaks, “I’ll take a membership card.” As soon as the girl finishes speaking, the clerk brings out various pieces of alien and magical technology.

“Stand here please,” Assistant number 4 asks Taylor to stand on the soul analyzer as the clerk points a device that looks like a piece of medical equipment at the girl.

“Eyes wide open please,” Assistant number 4 takes a retinal scan with the device in her hand before setting it down and typing a few entries into the advanced computer register.

“Place your dominant hand here please,” Assistant number 4 then takes a handprint scan of Taylor before having the girl sign her full name, age, gender, birth date, address, and signature on a holographic pad.

“Alright, everything is in order,” Assistant number 4 says this as the machine register prints out a sleek and stylish card reminiscent of the American Express Centurion. Of course, instead of American Express, it had The Midnight Zone on it, and instead of a Centurion, it was a 20 pointed star. Then the clerk hands the card to Taylor and smiles.

“Have a great day.” Assistant number 4 says this as she returns to standby mode.

Taylor pockets the card and looks to me for answers as to what in the world just happened. I did not mind explaining as I motioned for her to follow me while I gave her the answers she wanted.

“I have to take extra precautions when it comes to membership cards if one is stolen. Fraudulent acts and thievery are things that I frown upon greatly. Should your card ever be taken from you, the person who steals and attempts to use it will be in for a very rude awakening.” I say this as I turn my head to nod at her.

“Thanks…” Taylor is looking off into the distance with a hopeful look on her. The reassurance that the trio would get punished if they tried anything with her card was feeling almost like a dream to her.

Before Taylor and I reached the bridge, I turned to her and surprised her with a hug. Needless to say, she blushed, probably because she was shy.

“It was lovely having you here my Dear. Be safe and please come back again soon!” The exit to Brockton Bay opens up as I let Taylor go without any resistance.

“B-Bye Miss Scarletta,” Taylor says this with a hurried tone as she adjusts her glasses and leaves. The sound of the dimension door closing echoed as I turned to Assistant number 13. He was an average Hispanic man of moderate height with a clean shave and neat haircut.

“That went well. What did you think number 13?” I speak with an expecting smile as the clerk bows to me before speaking.

“Yes Mistress,” Assistant number 13 says this as he rises from his bow, “that went very well.” He finishes with a small smile, his tone sincere when talking to me.

“Indeed,” I say this as I turned around to walk to one of the shops for a snack, only to be interrupted by the three different entrances opening to reveal curious shoppers.

“It seems my day is only just beginning,” I whisper this to myself as I smile, walking towards the bridge with outstretched arms. The confetti cannons were ready for me again, and it was time for more satisfied customers.

[15 hours later]

I sat down in front of a lavish dining table, decked with a french course made by the Chef Assistant. They were a lovely, rotund man with average Italian features. I had him brush up on all the culinary techniques with one of the mysterious cookbooks in the Fresh Food shop before having him cook this large spread for me. I uncorked the bottle of Faerûnian wine and poured some into a crystal wine glass. Swirling it and taking a sip as I remembered the eventful day I had.

The second and third customers were a pair from Paraguay, as it seems one of my multiple entrances spread around the world had landed in the South American country. They were a wealthy couple of neurosurgeons, a tall tan-skinned man, and his pale, petite, and pretty wife. They spoke a lovely mix of Spanish and Guaraní. At first, I feared that I would not understand them, however, it seems that my powers allowed me to process any form of communication. Most likely due to the Mysterious Shopkeeper CYOA.

The couple mentioned how a Parahuman villain by the name of Los Demonio had destroyed their home with a blast of red flames. The villain was not even aiming for them as they were having a fight with a local hero by the name of Dorado.

The story made me empathize with the couple greatly, no one should have to lose their home because of a Parahuman fight. However, I was glad to sell them a hammer that could repair anything it hit and I even managed to convince them to buy a robotic bodyguard.

I told them, “It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this.”, which lead to an amusing conversation about whether or not they needed a license to own a mechanized mercenary, and I told them no.

The robot itself could garner a brute rating as it adapted and gained resistance to any attack directed at it. It could also repair itself very quickly and could fire an array of pacifying gadgets. It helped that it also looked very sleek and stylish. Unfortunately, it was nothing compared to Crawler’s level of adaptation and defenses, however, the guard was not insane and lacked lethal instincts.

The Husband was hesitant at first, but then his Wife gave him a pleading look. In the end, the happy and satisfied couple left with their new hammer and their new robotic bodyguard. I even threw in a butler’s suit for free.

The total bill was 2 million dollars in American currency. Mind you since they were the second and third customers, their discount combined to reduce the price by more than 75% of the original value.

I had finished half of the contents of the glass in my hand by this point. I then waved my hand and the Hors d'oeuvre plate began to float toward me. The serving dish was floating and presenting itself in front of me. Provençal Vegetable Tart, a dish created by Julianne Jones. Before she opened Vergennes Laundry, the woman sold savory tarts at the local farmers' market. The dish itself was made with vegetables that are often used when cooking ratatouille.

I then began to dig in with the appetizer, my thoughts reminiscing about the next person that had entered The Midnight Zone.

The fourth customer was absolutely hilarious, they were a wide-eyed insane-looking man from Sweden. They sounded like they smoked too many cigarettes and went on about the most amusing things.

“Världen tar slut! Det är Apokalypsen! Ge mig dina mest underbara dubbla bazookor!” Which roughly translated into: “The world is ending! It's the Apocalypse! Give me your wonderful double bazookas!”

At first, I thought he was talking about my breasts, which I clarified with him. To which he then proceeded to turn red-faced and start running around and screaming how ‘That was not what I meant!’. His Swedish accent was the most amusing thing I’d heard all day.

The strange interactions ended as quickly as they arrived after he purchased two plasma bazookas, five crates of ammo, and a fruit basket that replenishes its supply every hour. With his address set, membership card gained, and a receipt of 10,000 dollars, he then left with his Paper Bag of Holding while screaming unintelligible notions about the apocalypse.

He was not wrong though. The apocalypse could happen soon, but then again, I was meddling with things now. Whether the end would come sooner rather than later had yet to be surmised.

I was finished with the 1st course and now I was serving myself the Potage and Oeuf dishes. The French terms translated into the Soup and Egg courses respectively. I wanted to serve them both at the same time, so I set the French Vegetable Soup and Baked Eggs in front of me.

I then take a chaste spoonful of the soup and bring it to my lips. The savory and mature flavors cause me to moan slightly. I was alone within the safety of my realm, nobody was here to laugh at the lewd noise I had made.

My thoughts then returned to reminiscing about my first 10 customers. The fifth customer was a handsome, Irish man who was part of Brockton Bay’s bomb defusal squad. He spent an inordinate amount of time sorting through racks, shelves, and displays.

The bomb defuser wanted to find the perfect pair of boxers, he didn’t care about the price as money was meaningless when his life was on the line every time he got to work. The cheeky lad even had the gall to ask me what I thought after tried on a rare item. A pair of clover green boxers briefs with the words ‘pot o’ gold’ written on the crotch area. He had surprised me with his state of undress and I was completely unprepared. It was not fair!

I am not sure whether it was the look of my face, the blush on my cheeks, or if he was just a cheeky cunt, but he laughed at me and told me he would take them. The rare item had the mysterious ability to give the wearer incredible amounts of luck at very random intervals. The luck of the Irish indeed.

He laughed at the 100 dollar price I had put on it and even left me a calling card after paying. My thoughts move away from the ginger man and focus on the new dish I had set before me. It was the Farinaceous course, which meant that the dish was starchy and used pasta or rice. The dish before me was known as Parisian Gnocchi, it was made of bread flour, parmesan, butter, milk, and eggs. The sauced was a mix of grated parmesan, butter, basil, black pepper, salt, and a pinch of nutmeg. All in all, the dish was lovely. A pasta dish that was not too heavy on the tongue.

I ate the dish with a serene look on my face as I remembered that the sixth and seventh buyers were not as memorable as those before them. They were awed by The Midnight Zone, they gawked at me, and they even bought 700 dollars worth of various alcohols. Some that were previously unavailable in this dimension. It was a passé interaction at best.

The eighth, ninth, and tenth shoppers were a different story altogether. I paused from my dish as I wiped my lips. The last trio was a group of flunky, disrespectful, empire 88 brats. They pointed guns at me as soon as they entered and things only devolved from there.

I goaded them into trying to shoot me. Then they realized that I was a cape and they tried to do just that. They tried to pull the trigger.

Unfortunately for them, the rule: No violence of any kind, was in full effect. The three were unable to shoot me because reality itself forbade them from doing so. When they gave up on their guns, the three wannabe goons tried a different tactic. They cursed and threw derogatory slurs at me and my workers. I of course reacted accordingly.

I laughed at them in a way that reminded me of the Duke from Resident Evil 8. These bumbling buffoons thought they could threaten me, in my realm no less.

I focused my sheer hatred for racists into my core and the world suddenly shifted. In an instant, the nagging neo-nazis found themselves hanging by their legs over a tank filled with cyborg laser sharks.

The first few seconds were filled with confused cussing and threats, then came the screaming, and after that came the begging. I do not know how long I left them at the edge of near-death over the tank, but I certainly took my time in educating them on the value of respect.

Needless to say, the trio was let down after an impromptu attitude adjustment. They even bought some Booster Cola, and side-effect-free energy drinks from the Delightful Drinks stand before leaving in a hurry. Nobody was going to believe what happened to them, at least, not yet.

I then thought about the items I sold them, specifically the Booster Cole. It was a drink with the mysterious ability to boost the physical capabilities of the drinker for 1 to 2 hours. The cola itself had the glow and taste of Nuka Cola Quantum, while the lovely packaging was a self-recycling can. I was very keen on helping the environment in any way I could.

‘I wonder what those three stooges are going to do with Cola that can give them a Brute and Mover rating.’ I thought this to myself as I continued the rest of my 17-course French meal. There were still other sales that I wanted to remember.

Author’s Note:

Thank you for reading the first chapter! I hope you enjoyed the interactions and conversations I wrote!

Please feel free to ask me any questions. Also, if there are any grammatical errors, please point them out!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2021
  13. meloa789

meloa789 Versed in the lewd.

Scarletta is too awesome to comprehend. Also I expect her to rejuvenerate the economy of Brockton Bay in a very short period of time.

14. Snu Snu Kween

This is the third time I've read this comment. The other two times were on Space Battles and Sufficient Velocity. I'm very flattered that you took the time to type this in three different forum sites. Thank you very much.

As for the economy, my answer hasn't changed. Scarletta will try and be helpful in various ways.

Throne, Watcher_of_Paper and meloa789 like this.
  15. meloa789

I just copypasted the same comment, so no big deal.

And you are welcome.

16. Snu Snu Kween

You spread word of your praise for my story. It made me smile. You flatter me my good fellow.

meloa789 and Ajlove like this.
  17. Maylordgiveusmercy

Maylordgiveusmercy Not too sore, are you?

Can a costumer sell tinker tech or things like spider silk, exotic toxins, historical items of value, and other rare,hard to make, or odd things to the store?

I wonder what Taylor will turn into in the end? I think Ziz had a hand in what Taylor became in canon I wonder what will happen when two endbringers change her life.

P.S. I hope you have a wonderful day.

P.P.S. I wonder what exactly the health benefits of that fat is:V

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Shuba, Ajlove and Snu Snu Kween like this.
  18. Snu Snu Kween

They could barter for items if they have no monetary substance to offer. Selling to the store is also possible.

Every Taylor in fanfiction is different, and my version will turn her into someone interesting. At least, that is my hope.

Thank you, I hope you also have a wonderful day.

Finally, the health benefits of the mysterious beef fat will be revealed soon.

19. MrPrecedent

MrPrecedent Getting out there.

Interesting. Can't wait for the PRT to collectively have an aneurysm. And everyone else too. Will watch for more, seems fun.

Snu Snu Kween, 1eragon33 and Drock like this.
  20. Jkript

Jkript I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait so this is big lady vampire milkies but endbringer with magic shop power that sells everything.

Sounds like fun.

Shuba and Snu Snu Kween like this.
  21. rathoreshubhamm8

rathoreshubhamm8 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  22. Wintercat

Wintercat Curious Lurker

I am feeling a little curious on the Shopkeeper CYOAs mentioned, I think I've seen some of them but still wonder if you have a saved link to the ones you used. I am quite familiar with the Worm CYOAs, but the shopkeeper ones have me quite curious here.

The tale has proven entertaining so far, and looking forward to seeing what the reaction will be from the others.

23. Threadmarks: Grand Opening 1.02
    Snu Snu Kween

Notes: I apologize for the delayed post. Things have been tough and I lost someone important to me recently. Thank you all for your kind words and patience. As always, please feel free to point out any grammatical errors!

[Taylor Hebert - Brockton Bay - 04/11/2011 - 12:00 PM]

“This has to be the best project I’ve ever received. Perfect marks Ms. Hebert.” I breathed in a sigh of relief as my art teacher, Mrs. Dalloway, set my detailed sculpture of the Triumvirate down on her desk. I felt good about my schoolwork for the first time in months. I knew the trio wouldn’t be able to get to my work if I made my way into the faculty. Sadly, this would probably be the first and only time I’d be able to escape them.

I was lost in my own thoughts as I made my way from the faculty room and into the girl's bathroom to eat my lunch. This was my safe space, away from all the hurt that waited for me outside. I opened the cubicle at the end of the bathroom before setting my bag down. It was dingy and dark, but it was safe. Then, I unzipped my bag and took out the ham sandwich I packed for lunch, and took a seat over the closed toilet.

I know it seemed pathetic but I had no choice. Sophia, Emma, and Madison were always at my heels. The trio never missed a chance to hurt and belittle me. It’s why I ended up with my powers.

A buzzing noise rang through my mind as I hurriedly regained control. I had the power to control insects and it would have been so easy to kill everyone that hurt me. A bite from a black widow or even a few wolf spider bites on their faces. It was a morbid fantasy that I had to keep to myself. I didn’t wanna become a monster.

I was a saint compared to those three bitches. I’ve been holding back because I wanted to be better. Doing my best to keep control and not go Carrie on their fucking asses. All so I could be a hero.

The swarm died down as I took another bite of the ham sandwich that I had been gripping way too hard. That was when the bathroom doors slammed open. I closed my eyes, hoping that it wasn’t ‘them’ as I tried my best to keep quiet. I could hear the asinine giggling and conversation, but I couldn’t make out any of their voices. Then there was a knock on the door.

I tried not to panic and hoped they would give up but the person just kept knocking. I gulped as the knocking refused to stop. ‘Fuck it.’ I thought to myself as I began to speak.

“Occupied,” I said this hesitantly and sure enough the knocking stopped. I was safe-!

“OMG! It’s Taylor!” My heart sank as the girl outside shouted in delight. Then I heard shuffling and whispering as the girls plotted something.

“Yeah, let’s do it.” I heard this as my sandwich dropped to the bathroom tiles. I was panicked and afraid as I got up and tried to unlock the damn doors. They wouldn’t budge no matter how hard I shoved. It felt like the locker again, and I didn’t want to go through that hell again.

There was movement on the stall next to me, so I locked up on reflex. That was when my eyes began to sting. It was a painful burning sensation that coated my eyes. I couldn’t see for a while but I could taste what it was. Cranberry juice.

The fluids didn’t stop even after I got to save my glasses to see Sophia and Madison. That means Emma was on the other side of the door. My anger welled as I slammed my body into the door, my shoes slipping on the puddling juice. I fell hard on my ass as more juice and soda rained down over me.

I had to shield myself on the floor as they threw bottles and cans at me. Laughing at my pain as the angry buzzing rang through my head. The sickly sweet scent of the fruity drinks made me want to gag as the door swung open. All I could do was curl up and glare at the three who were laughing at the top of their lungs.

Madison, the short bitch who played up her late-bloomer build with stupid cutesy antics. Sophia, the dark-skinned asshole who had a slender build and ran as the school’s track star. Emma, my former best friend… She was beautiful and curvy but was also a traitor. All three of them were taunting and laughing at me. It was hell.

I didn’t want to give them any more material so I kept silent. My hands held me as I felt the chill from the cold drinks.

‘It would be so easy.’ I thought this to myself as the buzzing noise grew louder in my head. Gingerly getting on my feet as I grabbed my bag. I had to hold back tears as I saw the bag mom and dad bought me was now stained in horrible splotches of dark purple, orange, and red. It used to be a lovely shade of khaki green but it was ruined now. I threw it over my shoulder as I turned around. The trio wasn’t there. The bathroom door slamming shut as the sound of their stupid voices trailed off.

I made my way to the sink and set down my bag. I was suddenly so glad that I submitted my project early. That was when I heard the clanking noise in my bag. I curiously unzipped it to find a pristine canister of ‘Midnight Zone Magical Cleaning Spray: Fresh Linen Scent.’

It was one of the items I bought from Miss Scarletta, the person who owned the Midnight Zone. She said she wasn’t a cape and I didn’t want to believe her. But, something in my mind told me she wasn’t lying so I trusted her.

When she was guiding me through her store, she said that the spray could clean anything so maybe… Maybe she wasn’t overselling it. Maybe it could work for me.

I uncapped the bottle and shook the contents before aiming it at my bag. My hands were shaking and I had to take deep breaths. I bit my lip and closed my eyes as I pressed the spray. The warm and calming scent of fresh laundry and white flowers hit my nose as I took a peek.

“Bullshit…” I trailed off as my eyes widened to see my bag was now completely clean. A deep khaki green with no splotches or stains. It was pristine and dry now. The dust and breadcrumbs on it were gone too. It looked brand new, except for the few loose threads that gave away its age.

I looked at the pale white spray can, it had the image of Miss Scarletta dressed as a 60’s housewife winking at me with a cheeky grin. The Midnight Zone logo was stamped at the back and there were no ingredients listed. This stuff was the real deal! It was so cheap too!

I didn’t even hesitate as I closed my eyes and sprayed myself. It was strange. One second I was dripping with juice and soda and the next I was dry. I smelled like fresh laundry on a Sunday morning.

I opened my eyes to see that I was clean. The blemishes on my face were gone too. This stuff cleaned anything and everything. I strapped the bag back behind me and turned to face the exit. I wasn’t in the mood to continue with class today. I needed to get back to The Midnight Zone. I needed some answers.

As I neared the door, I heard some exciting laughter by the dozen or more. It seems the trio invited some people to laugh at me, but I wasn’t going to give them the satisfaction. I slammed the doors open.

“Look, it's dirty little Taylor licking the floor agai-!” I heard Julia get cut off by the sight of me. It made me smirk a little as I looked at their shocked faces before making my way to the exit.

“Oh no, you don’t you little shit!” Sophia shouts this as she tries to grab me. I begin turned to sprint, hoping to all hell that she wouldn’t catch me. That was when I heard her scream as I turned to see Sophia getting shoved by three boys wearing E88 colors. One of them looked at me and smiled.

I didn’t spare him a second glance and I turned to run. Not caring for anyone that was staring as I made my way past the school exit. The Midnight Zone was where I needed to be.

[Velocity - Brockton Bay - 04/11/2011 - 7:00 AM]

As I finished stretching, I smiled at the road ahead. It was another beautiful day in Brockton Bay. Sure there were scumbags in every nook and cranny. Sure the city had a supervillain problem. Sure the gap between rich and poor was growing bigger. But, the City had the protectorate, and the city had heroes like me. My name is Robin Swoyer, but people call me Velocity.

I was triggered after getting chased by a bunch of terrorists in Afghanistan. All I wanted to do was get away with my squad. To run fast enough. To save my team. I can’t remember the exact moment, but I think it was after my friend lost his leg to an RPG-7. I don’t like talking about the rest of it. The PRT therapist told me I was doing well and that I didn’t have any severe trauma. I had my own issues about the military though.

The military changed me, I was obedient and ready to fight. I was trained as a soldier and I’ve killed people before. I hated it all. After getting my powers I thought that it’d be my chance. I could finally travel, see the world, and meet new people. I was dead wrong though. Instead, I got stuck back where I started playing cops and robbers with super-powered crooks. I wouldn’t let that get me down though. I wasn’t about to give up due to a setback, because I, Robin Swoyer, have a dream. My dream was simple. Travel the world, meet new people, and get a girlfriend so Assault stops trying to play matchmaker.

I thought that getting superpowers would make getting a girlfriend easier. I thought wrong though. Most of the girls were only interested in the Velocity, not the guy underneath. Armsmater and Dragon can’t stop making goo-goo eyes at each other, Assault lucked out with Battery, Dauntless got remarried, and Triumph was dating Prism from New York. Meanwhile, I was alone. So much for having superpowers.

My powers let me outrun most of my problems even though I preferred to face them head-on. I wasn’t the fastest cape alive, but I could run fast enough to move on water! Imagine that, running on water seemed like a small boy's dream. After all, who didn’t want to walk on water when they were a kid.

Anyways back in the present, I just finished getting ready to go on a morning patrol. Today was supposed to be Armsmater’s morning shift, but Director Piggot found him passed out in his workshop again. So, I got the morning patrol and Armsmaster got the night shift today. I had to skip breakfast because the Director couldn’t wait. It wasn’t completely unreasonable, and with any luck, I might just save a kitten from a tree and get a cute girl’s number.

I set off past Lord Street to start my patrol. It felt like taking weights off of my hands and legs like my body was lighter and faster. Time slowed down all around me as I moved faster and faster. Even though I was pushing past the average speed of a sports car, I could see everything around me.

It was like watching the world in a freeze-frame. Every second and detail accounted for in my view as I ran. My power made sure that my body didn’t break while speeding, but I couldn’t affect stuff around me unless I was touching it. Basically, I could move super fast but I couldn’t make tornados or leave a wind trail behind me.

It was still nice to move fast though, running around and helping the city I grew up in. It was a shame this wasn’t any different from my military deployment. Brockton Bay was having a cold war against the Empire 88, the Azn Bad Boys, and the Merchants. There were some minor villains here and there but none of them had as many heavy hitters as the three gangs. Racists, Asian Terrorists, and Druggies, Brockton Bay’s trifecta of evil. No wonder we lost a lot of tourism capital. What with all the Capes blasting here and there.

My first route led me through the wealthier parts of Brockton Bay. The streets were clean and lined with people on their way to work or school. There were a few people that needed help here and there. A delivery guy loading his truck, an old lady crossing the street, and a nice kid who needed help putting a leash on their dog.

I never bothered sticking around for pictures, their ‘Thanks’ and ‘Thank yous’ were enough for me. I never joined the PRT for fame and fortune, I just wanted to get away from military service. I could serve my country in a different way. Helping civilians and looking out for bad guys was a good way to do it.

The next few streets and avenues didn’t have much going on for them. A few people arguing over the phone, a car accident with no deaths or parahumans involved, and a few other altercations that didn’t need my meddling. The perks of having an above-average mover rating meant that I could finish my patrol faster than anyone else in the PRT.

I still hadn’t eaten breakfast by the time I made my way into Jason Avenue. The place was lined with shops and restaurants, and I wasn’t in the mood for fast food and breakfast burritos. The ABB and the Empire called this road a neutral zone, a place where cape fights didn’t exist. Nobody wants to get banned from their favorite restaurant.

Anyways I was clearing through Jason Avenue to finish my patrol route when I checked the watch built into my helmet. Time was breaking past 7:30 AM. I’m ahead of schedule, which means I have time to try a new place to eat! Before I ran around looking for a new restaurant, I decided to check 13th Street. The place had a lot of parking lots which meant that it was a prime location for carjacking thugs.

I couldn’t concentrate on the job though. Something was distracting me. It was a huge building that didn’t look real. It was like someone had placed a large cafe from Venice at the end of 13th street. I never saw any construction here and this was a place I’d explored more times than I could count. It was like the building appeared out of nowhere. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating. Nothing changed. The weird and beautiful building was still there. The big sign saying ‘The Midnight Zone’ gives the place a name.

Protocol dictates that I should call in any attempts at making contact with new parahumans, but something told me not to do that just yet. I wasn’t sure if this place was made by a parahuman just yet. I was careful as I moved closer to the painted building. An up-close view showing the Gothic architecture I wanted to experience in Europe. There were reflective windows and white pillars. The door looked like the entrance of a castle, made of wood and steel. The big sign was made of wood embossed with metallic stars, the name ‘The Midnight Zone’ written in fancy script’.

My stomach suddenly grumbled.

‘Damn, I’m starving. Maybe this place has something to eat’ The thought crosses my mind as I find myself opening the entrance to The Midnight Zone. I don’t know why all caution and reason disappeared when I touched the door. I didn’t feel any master or stranger powers on me, there was just an overwhelming desire to buy breakfast.

I blinked after opening the door and found myself surrounded by water. I looked down to see that I was standing on a stone bridge.

“W-what the fuck?” I said this out loud and pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. I think I just walked into another dimension. Waves were crashing in the distance. Dolphins and whales diving in and out of the water, rainbows without the usual colors, shining butterflies the size of my forearm. The skies were bright and crystal clear. No, seriously. The sky looked like it was made of crystal. I had to phone this in.

“This is Velocity reporting in, control do you copy?” I pressed my fingers into my earpiece hoping to activate the tinkertech radio that Armsmaster managed to fit into my helmet. All I heard was static on the other end.

‘Did this place have a signal jammer?’ I thought this as I set a guarded stance while walking forward. Armsmaster’s creation’s never malfunctioned, something else was preventing me from reaching the base.

I quickly began to scan the surroundings. There was a slight amount of cool mist encasing a small town beyond the bridge. The buildings were colorful and made of brick, something that wasn’t common in Brockton Bay. Some lanterns looked like they belonged in a different period, floating around with tinkertech propellers on them. They covered the street and endless sea with warm light.

I also heard music. It didn’t sound like the usual stuff he heard on the radio. It was almost like jazz, but there was a hum and background noise to it. The sounds were relaxing, but I couldn’t tell where they were coming from.

Up ahead there were stands and street lamps. The people manning them were in white button-ups, black aprons, and grey pants. They were idle and none of them looked special.

I blinked for a second, making sure I wasn’t hallucinating. That was when I saw her. She was huge, like more than twice my height. She was wearing a fancy dress made of metal and cloth, a white hat that was wide enough to be an umbrella, and she had BOOBS. Like the biggest boobs, I’ve ever seen. They were bouncing up and down as the lady approached me.

God, she was beautiful. Her hips, her chest, her face. She looked like a goddess with grey skin and old-timey makeup. I didn’t even realize until I gulped that her lady was right in front of me now.

‘How long was I staring at her chest? Was I being mastered? By her Boobs?!’ I panicked as I thought this to myself. The wind was picking up and her chest was swaying to the side now. How were they doing that?

Suddenly, the lady spins and I jump back, my stance ready to run at any second.

[Scarletta/Vladimira/? - The Midnight Zone - 04/11/2011 - 7:43 AM]

“Welcome to The Midnight Zone!” I say this as I finish my spin. Whales springing from the water and crashing into the waves all at once as I announce my welcome. Mist swirling around the bridge as the crystal skies shimmer a pseudo spotlight over me. I was feeling quite lovely today, so I chose to reflect that with The Midnight Zone’s ambiance.

We had another special guest, a cape by the name of Velocity. The speedster in racing spandex himself.

“Are...Are you friendly?” The man in a crimson costume asked this of me. His stance was tense and his voice, laced with an unsure tone.

“Gasp,” I say this dramatically as I place my hand above my swaying chest. “I most certainly am, good Sir.” I finish my statement in mock offense as I fake a hurt look. Theatrics were always fun to perform, no matter what the situation.

“Phew, for a second there I thought you were a villain.” He sighs in relief as he says this before reaching his hand out. It seems he was going to introduce himself.

“I’m Velocity.” The red man finished this statement with an easygoing look. The disarming smile he had made me think that the man underneath all that spandex was handsome. I, as the proprietress of this establishment, am most certainly charmed.

“You may call me, Vladimira,” I say this to Velocity as I delicately take his hand and shake it. A coy smile on my face as my ring finger strays to trace his palm as I let go. I gave him a different name compared to the one I gave Taylor. It was all part of my dastardly plan to confuse the PRT and PHO with their silly little designations. Scarletta and Vladimira were false names, my true name was something I was not willing to share just yet.

“Nice to meet you Vladimira.” Velocity says this before gulping. Though The Midnight Zone was cold, he seemed to be sweating. How odd.

“Charmed I am sure. Now, what brings you to The Midnight Zone so early in the morning? Did you perhaps come to join me for breakfast?” I raise my brow with a coy smirk on my face as I say this to him with an inquisitive tone.

“I was on patrol whe-!” He pauses as his stomach gurgles audibly. “You said something about breakfast?” I could tell from his pitiable tone that he was embarrassed to be caught starving like this.

“Yes. My chef has prepared a lovely meal fit for royalty. If you wish to partake of the food that is.” I say this as I extend my hand into the town square. A posh dining table appeared out of nowhere with a feast for two.

“Yes please.” Velocity says this as he moves to walk with me. The mist avoids both of us entirely as we walk to the table. The assistants all bowed to me as we walked. I could tell Velocity’s body language that he had a lot of questions.

It took only a momentary stroll to reach the table, Velocity once again giving me a curious look as I summoned comfortable chairs for us to sit in.

“Please take a seat Sir Velocity.” As I motioned for him to take a rest on the pale white plush dining chairs I had summoned. The fluffy inside of the chairs acted almost like memory foam. Meanwhile, the table was beset with a meal of foreign sausages, cherry tomato salad, hash browns, and eggs a la sunnyside up. There was a 5 tier tray at the center with bread, jam, pastries, cakes, and macarons respectively.

“Oh! Um…” Velocity says this as he pulls the chair back to sit down. “Thanks.” He says this as he finally sits down. An expectant look on his face as I adjust my position on the chair. It seems the poor lad was waiting for me to start so he could eat. What a good boy he was, and so well mannered.

“Shall we dine then?” I ask this of him as I start with some bread, butter, and blueberry jam.

Velocity does not even give me a reply as he digs in. Eating sausages, hash browns, and sunnyside eggs on his plate with great gusto. He was starving and it definitely showed in his mannerisms. I was glad to give him a meal after all the running he did for his ‘patrol’.

He and I enjoyed a lovely meal together. Although it was only a matter of time until he started asking questions, I took this time of peace to sip on my morning mimosa. My core felt the intoxication and numbness without the negative side effects.

The cool yet comfortable breeze blew past us, as I looked at my realm with satisfaction. It was truly a lovely day to have breakfast with a superhero. The fact that he was cute was a bonus. A slight blush appeared on my cheeks as I remembered looking at all of Velocity only to see the outline of his...thing.

The man wasn’t wearing any cups or underwear to hide the outline of his...Well, you get the idea! It was obscene. I remember the story mentioning that it helped increase his speed, but my god he was a mad lad. Going around without any protection to your nether regions was a terrible thing…

“So…” Velocity pauses as he takes a sip of orange juice. “Are you a new cape in town?” He finishes his question before grabbing a danish off of the 5 tier tray. It seems I was right, he wanted to gather information.

“Perhaps,” I say this as I give him a wistful look, swirling my mimosa glass idly as I did so.

“Are you a Case 53? You know, one of the people who changes after getting their powers?” He motions to me with a wave of his hand. It irritated me to some degree.

“I most certainly am not a monstrous cape,” I say this with an offended tone. How dare he insinuate that I had taken one of those filthy vials. He was crossing the line.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you.” Velocity looks away as he says this. He didn’t know that he had stricken a nerve. Not that I had any nerves.

I give him a patented ‘hmph!’ as I turned my head away from him and took another sip of my mimosa. The next person that asks me if I am a Case 53 gets to swim with the Kraken sleeping in Prized Pets & Animal Care. Velocity sighs at my antics.

“Look, I’m just trying to get to know you better so the PRT can help you. There’s a lot of bad guys in Brockton Bay and joining us can keep you and this place alive,” Velocity says this with a mediating tone as my look changes to amusement. It was so cute to see him believe his own words.

“I do not wish to join your organization of costumed crusaders Sir Velocity. I need no protection.”I say this to him as a matter of factly before scoffing at his offer. He had the gall to ask me to join his festering organization filled with moles. The PRT ENE was a joke. They lacked initiative and firepower to truly compare themselves to the villainous elite that ruled this city.

“I know you think that but listen for a moment. What can you do when people like Lung come knocking at your door? He fought Leviathan back in Kyushu and almost won.” Velocity almost had a pleading tone as he explained to me why I was not strong enough on my own. I knew better. There was an ulterior motive behind this question though. He wanted to gather intel on my power. He wanted to know why I was unafraid of Lung and other superpowered criminals.

“That kind of information is something you will need to pay for Sir Velocity. I am running this place as a business you know.” I say this as I tilt my head to him while crossing my legs. My hand swirling my empty glass as more mimosa seemed to fill into it out of nowhere.

“I only have a couple of twenties and a hundred on me Vladimira,” Velocity looks at me expectantly as my smile grows. I wait for him to finish taking a sip of water before I reply to him.

“You could afford to purchase a few things from my shop, but the answer to your question is out of your reach. Maybe if you had ten million to spare.” I give Velocity a coy smirk as the information sets in. Good thing I let him finish drinking his water as he looked like he would’ve spat it out.

“What?! That’s too much!” Velocity tells me this with an incredulous tone as he rudely slams his hand into the table. The shock was a lot for him, the poor lad.

“If you don’t like it…” I say this with a seductive tone as I bring my free hand to my chest while setting my mimosa glass down with the other. “There are other ways of payment,” I say this as I waggle my eyebrows at Velocity. The man was blushing as I sensually dipped down from view and below the table. I then pluck a contract from seemingly nowhere and rise to take a seat again.

“I can offer you and your organization any information you want. In exchange, I gain a favor or something valuable per question. Does this sound good to you Sir Velocity?” I emphasize the words valuable and Velocity to tease the man in red as I show him the contract. He was blushing from what I could see with the visible portion of his face.

“I…” Velocity then turns to look behind me, gazing at the street clock placed a short distance away from us. “Oh is that the time?” Velocity then rushed to wipe the food bits off of his face. He looked like he was in a hurry.

“Yes, it is now 8 AM,” I say this idly before taking a mouthful of Hungarian sausage. The contract was still in my hand as Velocity stood up.

“It was nice meeting you Vladimira, I gotta go now or I’ll be late. Thank you for the food. I’ll tell the Director about your offer though.” Velocity said this as he quickly excused himself. Before leaving, he purchases a bottle of Rejuvi from the Delightful Drinks stand. Then, as soon as he arrived, Velocity was gone.

“That man moves too fast for his own good. Do you not think so number 6?” I say this with a wistful tone as the projected assistant hands me a napkin and hot towel.

“Indeed Mistress” Assistant number 6 says this with an even tone before going back to their station. Velocity left before I could explain what I had just bought. After all, Rejuvi gives the drinker a healing factor.

[Taylor Hebert - Brockton Bay - 04/11/2011 - 1:17 pm]

I got off the bus stop at Jason Avenue and briskly walked my way to 13th Street. It was an easy trek considering I got to rest inside the bus. If it weren’t for the cleaning spray, I would’ve been too embarrassed to go anywhere but home.

More cars were driving to and from 13th street. Mostly shoppers and people out for a semi-late lunch. None of them bothered to question why a girl like me was walking straight for The Midnight Zone. It was something I was grateful for at the time. If one of Dad’s friends from the docks found me here I’d be screwed. I needed to go unnoticed.

When I got there I saw the exterior looked different. The architecture looked like something out of a foreign postcard. I wasn’t sure why the white pillars reminded me of Rome or something close to that. The sign was still made of the same stuff but the look was entirely different from when I had first seen it two days ago. At this point, I was shocked the news wasn’t covering this place. Not even the PHO knew about The Midnight Zone yet.

The Midnight Zone literally appeared out of nowhere and changed its look two days later. Miss Scarletta certainly had a flair for the dramatic. Even the outside of her store changed whenever she wanted it to. Her powers, whatever they may be, are complete bullshit.

I stopped myself from thinking too hard on the topic as I opened the door and found myself back in The Midnight Zone. Most of it looked the same but the sky wasn’t cloudy anymore, it looked like the whole sky was made of some kind of gem. Inverted rainbows were shooting from the sky and into the water. I know the colors from playing around with paint in computer class.

My eyes then caught on to the glowing butterflies flying in random directions. They gave off colors that complemented the reversed rainbows. They were beautiful. I couldn’t control any of them though. I still couldn’t use my power inside The Midnight Zone.

I continued past the entrance and walked by some foreign-looking shoppers who made their way to the exit while carrying two paper bags with The Midnight Zone logo.

‘I wonder what they bought.’ The thought crossed my mind as I looked for Miss Scarletta. It wasn’t that I was excited to see her again, I just had a few burning questions I wanted to ask her. The fact that she was nice is just a bonus.

I passed by the Delightful Drinks stand and other stores like Fantastic Furniture and Humble Home Goods before I saw Miss Scarletta. She was leaving the Baffling Books store and she immediately noticed me. I managed a slight wave and smile as Miss Scarletta walked toward me.

“Welcome back dear Taylor. What brings you to The Midnight Zone at this hour? Should you not be in school?” Miss Scarletta asks me these questions as she tilts her head. I wanted to hide the truth as I spoke but instead, something else came out.

“Miss Scarletta I don’t want to go back to school right now. Some people...They poured juice and soda on me in the girl's bathroom. So I ran and left school early.” I’m not sure what came over me, or why I told Miss Scarletta the truth. It sort of just came out. I guess I couldn’t hold it in anymore.

Suddenly, I feel embraced. It was nothing like my mom and dad, but it was really nice. Miss Scarletta was big and soft, but she was also warm and her hugs were comforting. I don’t know if I was crying or not, but we stayed like that until she let me go.

“Oh, my dear sweet child. I’m so sorry that happened to you.” Miss Scarletta tells me this as she wipes a tear off of my cheek. I sniffled and wiped my eyes before giving her a response.

“S’okay. It’s not your fault.” I say this before sniffling and smiling at Miss Scarletta. Then, I took my bag and showed her the can of cleaning spray I used to clean myself.

“This really helped though. I thought you were joking when you said this stuff could clean anything. It cleaned the bag my Mom bought me and it cleaned me and my outfit too. It works!” I say this with a reassuring voice as Miss Scarletta beams at me with pride. I had gotten over my short cry and managed to keep my voice steady as I was explaining.

“Indeed it does dear Taylor and I am glad it helped you. Now how about I cheer you up by helping you find what you need. You did not run here just to tell me the spray worked did you?” I breathe in a steady breath as Miss Scarletta says this to me. I wanted to buy something that would help with my outing tonight but, I didn’t want to reveal that I was a cape. I also didn’t want to tell Miss Scarletta that I could control bugs, I didn’t want to freak her out. Maybe I should just tell her I want a pet. Something exotic, like an insect. I wouldn’t be lying to her so it worked.

“Do you sell pets? I was hoping you could help me buy a friend. Something cool, like a tarantula or a scorpion.” I told Miss Scarletta this as I placed the spray back into the bag before zipping it up.

“The Midnight Zone does indeed profit from pet sales. I am certain we can find you a companion in no time. Now, follow me, dear Taylor.” Miss Scarletta waves for me to follow her as she moves further down the shopping streets until we reach a building called “Prized Pets & Animal Care”.

The building was made of sand-colored bricks with wooden shakes. The windows had a bunch of caution signs like ‘no flash photography', ‘poke the glass at your own risk’, and other stuff like ‘danger’, etc. The door was made of wood that had giant claw marks and stains on it, like some kind of monster tried to claw its way in. The sign above looked brand new, with the words ‘Prized Pets & Animal Care’ displayed just above the entrance in big, bold letters.

Then, the door was opened from the inside by an average-looking guy with blonde hair, blue eyes, and light tan skin. He wore the same outfit as the other employees, and he even talked like them too.

“Welcome Mistress and guest.” The clerk guy says this with a welcoming voice as he steps to the side.

‘Are all of Miss Scarletta projections?’ I pondered this as Miss Scarletta and I both got ushered into the building.

“Thank you number 10, I’ll take it from here.” Miss Scarletta says this as she leads me through the building. Like the others, it was bigger on the inside, but the biggest one I’ve seen so far. It was like walking into a zoo. Except this one had every kind of animal on sale.

The place had entire habitats inside of it. There were glass panes leading to mountains, forests, tundras, deserts, and more. There were mammals, like puppies and kittens, to bears and wolves. There were also fish, birds, reptiles, and more. This place got bigger the harder I looked!

“Don’t stare for too long Taylor. These are only the mundane specimens. You said you wanted something cool so these creatures will not do sadly.” Miss Scarletta says this to me as I give her a look of confusion.

‘What did she mean by ‘mundane specimens’?’ I thought this in wonder as Miss Scarletta led me to an elevator near the entrance.

Wait...What?

How was there an elevator near the entrance?! This place made no sense! First things are bigger on the inside, and now elevators can go up and down even though the outside only has one floor? There’s some powerful bullshitery going on here!

Miss Scarletta was nice, but this geometry of The Midnight Zone made my head spin. The elevator we stepped into was completely made of glass. There was enough space to accommodate me, Miss Scarletta, and another dozen people. There were also cushioned seats lining the walls, complete with armrests and cup holders.

“Do not worry my dear. The glass is impervious and intangible to any and all creatures.” Miss Scarletta says this as she and I take a seat across from each other. I was feeling unsure about this, but I knew that Miss Scarletta meant me no harm.

“Okay...But why are there seatbelts?” I was sure I wasn’t going to like the answer. Miss Scarletta gave me a devious smirk as she tapped away at the glass. Lights were appearing from the wall, like a hologram from a sci-fi movie

“For safety dear Taylor.” Miss Scarletta says this as the elevator zooms downward.

We were moving so fast, it almost felt like I was free-falling. I now see why Miss Scarletta insisted on wearing the seatbelts. The elevator was going down at a speed I couldn’t quite comprehend. The floor display on the right saying that we were still on the Normal floor.

Huh?

Why aren’t the floors labeled by number? Another thing about The Midnight Zone that didn’t make any sense. Then I saw the display change into magical, which was stupid because magic didn’t exist in-!

We suddenly found ourselves surrounded by huge piles of gold and gems. There was a sea of coins, crowns, and crates. It was a never-ending sea of wealth. Then, I turned to see ‘it’.

The thing was covered by sizzling air. It was like looking at a heat mirage. It had deep red scales, giant wings, huge legs, sizzling claws, and a tail that could easily wrap around a building. It had a spiky frill on its spine, and a proud neck leading to the face of a monster. A two-horned...dragon?

“I-Is that a…” I didn’t want to say what I was thinking, even though I was pretty sure what Miss Scarletta’s answer would be. There was a gnawing sense of dread about it. My breathing started picking up and I couldn’t look away from its flame gold eyes.

“Yes, my dear. The creature before is a dragon. An ancient red dragon to be precise.” Miss Scarletta says this as she turns to wave at the creature. The dragon lifts its head and nods at her before going back to staring at me. It was really uncomfortable.

Then, the elevator’s surroundings changed. It looked like someone combined a lab with a library. There were glass tubes, odd containers, and strange liquids. There were towering shelves, gilded books, and floating tomes. However, I couldn’t see the creature living here. What sort of pet wanted to read and perform experiments?

“Miss Scarletta, is this another habitat?” I felt weird as I asked this question. It was almost like I was being watched. A feeling like something was staring at me. It felt really uncomfortable.

“This is the Beholder Enclosure dear Taylor.” She said this while lifting her hand and twirling it. I got the sense that she wanted me to turn around.

“What’s a beholde-?!” I couldn’t even finish my sentence as I turned around to see a humongous eyeball staring right at me.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!

It was round, like a floating head with a blue-grey hide. It had a huge golden predator eye that was bigger than my body, and a grinning mouth filled with multiple rows of shark-like teeth. Then there were the tentacles…

The ‘beholder’ had ten tentacles that could easily wrap around a person. Each appendage ended with an eye of a different color. The tentacled thing was bigger than a truck. It could easily swallow a person whole if it wanted to. It was a monster, unlike anything I could ever imagine.

I don’t know why but it felt like I was close to passing out. I was a cape, but I wasn’t sure if I could face something that would make Nilbog’s creations look like chumps.

“Peace dear Taylor. The beholder is merely curious. You need not panic. It means neither of us any harm.” Miss Scarletta’s voice set me at ease. A little encouragement goes a long way after all. It was a little easier to breathe easy now.

“R-Right. Thanks.” I felt a little dazed after seeing an actual dragon and a many-eyed monster. At least the beholder couldn’t get to us while we were inside the elevator. That information, combined with Miss Scarletta’s encouragement, was enough to help calm me down.

Suddenly, the see-through glass of the elevator went black. I looked at Miss Scarletta in confusion. We just went past the beholder’s floor, and the elevator felt like it hadn’t stopped moving yet.

“What happened? Did something happen Miss Scarletta?” I asked her in worry. Maybe she was wrong about the intangible and impervious parts. Maybe one of the monsters got to the elevator!

“Everything is fine dear Taylor. I merely darkened the windows for the sake of your wellbeing. I’m sorry for giving you quite the shock.” Miss Scarletta gave me a sad smile as she spoke. It was hard to hold any bad feelings for her. She was really nice.

“It’s okay Miss Scarletta, but are those monsters really for sale?” I had to ask. The building we were in was a pet shop after all. If Miss Scarletta was selling dragons and beholders, what else could she be selling?

“Not the adults, no. I sell infant and adolescent animals. The creatures you saw were the caretakers of those respective species. The children playing elsewhere, hidden from view.” What Miss Scarletta said made me wonder. What did baby dragons and beholders look like? Also, dragons come from eggs, but where do baby beholders come from?

[Scarletta/Vladimira/? - The Midnight Zone - 04/11/2011 - 1:32 PM]

As the elevator finished its descent, I felt a bit displeased with myself. Taylor did not react positively when faced with an ancient red dragon and an elder beholder. The girl looked like she was about to soil herself in fear of the two monstrosities. It was not my intention to instill fear. I wished to show Taylor the rare creatures the magical section could offer. I had hoped that she would feel a sense of wonder. Instead, she quaked at the very sight of them.

There was still a chance to make amends though. I smiled as the automated voice of the elevator signaled for us to remove our seat belts. It was time to sell Taylor a ‘pet’.

“Ah, we have arrived dear Taylor. Come, let me show you a ‘cool’ pet.” I say this as I fluidly motion for her to follow me into the blazing desert. It was time to reveal the creature I was willing to sell her.

The elevator’s exit led us to a desert with 3 suns blaring down on the sandy landscape. Cone-esque shapes were floating before us. They rested approximately 25 meters above the ground and resembled gargantuan wasp nests.

An ominous buzzing noise could be heard within them, and I got the sense that Taylor was excited. I gave her a sideward glance to see that she had a bewildered expression on her bespectacled face. The desert breeze blowing her brunette curls, catching them in the wind. It was not every day that she got the chance to see a hive this big.

“Allow me to introduce you to,” I snap sassily with both hands as I continue, “the Hellwasp.” As I finish my announcement, a dozen wasps sprung from the hive information. Each one was roughly the size of a horse with thick charcoal-colored carapaces, glowing metallic wings, strong many-jointed legs, and razor-sharp sword-like talons. Their lower bodies had stripes that glowed and flowed with a magma-esque emanation. Their mandibles were large enough to sever limbs, and their bodies were covered in thick hairs.

They circled above me and Taylor waiting for my next command. With a simple clap of my hands, the wasps dove down one by one, landing in a diamond formation before us. The leader of this squadron, a wasp with a scar over its eye, walked up to me and dropped a sizable jar into my right hand. I thanked Hellwasp with a pat on the head, the creature gave me a buzzing purr before stepping back with the rest of his squadron.

“A little surprise offering to you and I,” I say this as I manifest a spoon in my free hand while turning towards Taylor. The glass jar, filled with a thick, glowing, orange-gold substance, uncaps itself as I continue, “Avernian Nectar, the special product of the Hellwasp.” I say this as I scoop some of the honey-like nectar and hand it to Taylor.

“Is it safe to eat?” Taylor gives me a quizzical look and I smile at her. She was cautious even though it was unnecessary.

“Of course it is. I would not hand you the spoon if it was my dear.” I give her a raised eyebrow as she blushes in slight shame over her silly question.

Taylor takes a deep breath before taking the spoonful into her mouth. She lets herself get familiar with the taste and then she swallows with wide eyes.

“Whoa.” Taylor quickly pulled up the sleeve of her jacket to reveal her scars and bruises disappearing. The sight made me sick, nobody deserved the level of abuse Taylor had gone through. Except for Coil, although I had special plans for him. On the other hand, I was glad the healing properties of the nectar were able to aid her.

“Indeed dear Taylor,” I say this before taking a spoonful of Avernian Nectar into my open lips. I relished the warm and sweet taste before gulping it down, “Whoa is an appropriate reaction to the nectar's incredible healing properties.” I say this as the lid once again seals the jar. Now that the surprise snack was over, I could finally show what the Hellwasps were capable of.

“Let me educate you on the capabilities of my product,” I tell this to Taylor with a wicked glint in my eyes. I turn to the Hellwasp squadron and give them a nod.

The fiendish insects begin to hover over the ground as they vibrate their wings. The aforementioned wings then begin to change color as a sweltering heat radiates from their combined flight. Then, in a wispy flash, the Hellwasps all disappear. You could still hear the slight thrum of their wings, but the sight of them was completely gone.

“Did they just turn invisible?!” Taylor shouts this in an incredulous tone as scratches her eyes. Then, she turns to give me a confused look, one that sought answers. Of course, I was happy to oblige.

“My Hellwasps are capable of generating localized mirages, the illusions can range from simple to complex. Observe.” I say this with an intriguing voice as I give the unseen wasps a whistle. The show had only just begun.

There was a slight shift in the thrum and pace of the Hellwasps as a new image began to sizzle into view. A brilliant oasis suddenly appeared, complete with swaying palm trees, a shimmering pond, colorful desert flowers, and sand-dwelling shrubs.

“How…?” Taylor trailed off her question as she looked at the sight before her. Her youthful features gave off a look of confused awe.

“A trade secret my dear,” I say this with a pleased tone as I snap my fingers. The wasps all settle down, the mirages disappearing from view as the oversized insects become visible once more.

“The Hellwasps are also capable of high-speed flight. Their chitin is impervious to most mundane weapons and ballistics, though you should take care when faced with a tinker. They also come equipped with mandibles capable of 16, 460 newtons worth of bite force. The sheer magnitude of their bite is comparable to a Saltwater Crocodile. They are completely immune to fire and heat, and I have taken the liberty of removing their weakness to cold. Their stinger is capable of injecting two types of toxins. One is a combat-oriented poison that causes the injected target to explode. The other is a highly effective paralytic neurotoxin that puts the victim in a state of lucid paralysis. They only need to be fed once a week.

“The wasps are omnivorous and can survive on both meat and vegetation. Though if you want them to produce Avernian Nectar, you will need a habitat filled with a very specific flower species. All of them are capable of assuming the role of queen given enough time away from the hive. All Hellwasps are born female and reproduce without the need to mate. They simply start producing fertilized eggs once they assume the role of queen.

“Each wasp is completely obedient to the buyer and will be friendly to anyone you consider an ally. They will also refuse to inject the explosive toxin unless commanded directly, as they prefer to use paralysis when stinging their prey.” I finished my detailed description with a satisfied breath as I took in Taylor’s contemplating face. I did not even need to ask as I knew what she was going to say.

“How much for one?” Taylor looks me in the eye as she says this. It was a look that craved strength, one that made me feel quite sad. She wanted to become strong, after everything that she has been through. If only she knew of the horror that was to come. Alas, it broke my heart that I could not tell her. She needed time to grow and mature before I would even consider revealing her alternate ‘history’.

“Normally I would charge 100,000 US Dollars per Hellwasp, however,” I smiled at Taylor as she looked at me with anticipation. An alternate means of payment meant that she could get her hands on her very own Hellwasp, “I also trade in favors.” I say this with a knowing smile as I flick my wrist to produce a floating contract.

“The rules of the deal are quite simple. One, the buyer owes me a favor that can be redeemed at any time. Two, if the buyer refuses to perform the favor, all purchased products will be forfeit to the seller. Three, if the seller is not satisfied with the results of the favor, all purchased products will be forfeit to the seller with interest.” I explain the details with a professional tone as I hand Taylor a writing quill. A mysterious smile on my face as she takes the item into her hand.

“If I sign this, you won’t ask me to do anything bad will you?” She looked at me with worry in her eyes. Her question pulled on my nonexistent heartstrings. It was sad to see someone so young with a look of anxiety. Once upon a time, I was in a similar situation as her. Though that was a literal lifetime ago and I did not want to sadden myself further.

“Oh heavens no. I would never ask you to do bad things.” I say this with complete sincerity as I motion the contract to move closer to Taylor. “So, do we have a deal?” I emphasize my question by making the contract float closer to Taylor. The binding parchment was within her reach now.

“Yes…” Taylor says this with a determined voice as she signs her name on the contract. The deal is set! The fact that I got her autograph indirectly was a bonus! It made me feel a bit giddy, knowing I had the autograph of Taylor Hebert herself!

“Excellent! Now all you need to do is sort out this set of paperwork and you’re all set!” I say this as I produce a Bill of Sale for Taylor to sign. I motioned for her to work on it in the elevator while a Hellwasp drone emerged from the hive to hand me a cocoon that was ready to hatch.

[20 minutes later]

After Taylor finished the paperwork, she and I made our way to the checkout counter where she received a habitat dimension key with an anti-theft charm from Assistant number 10 at no additional charge. She also received two weeks worth of food because she was a member.

There was a sudden fiasco when Taylor realized she did not have her card with her. She mentioned that she must have left it at home. I told her it was fine, we had her information on hand and we could easily scan her and input the sale without needing the card.

Once the sale was finished, Taylor was given a special paper bag of holding that was only handed out here in the Prized Pets & Animal Care building. It had the ability to contain purchased pets within it while putting said pets in stasis until they are pulled out. She also received a regular paper bag of holding for the wasp food and the habitat dimension key.

After all of that was done, I personally handed Taylor her new pet. The adolescent Hellwasp hatched as soon as I handed its cocoon to Taylor. It immediately imprinted on Taylor and the pair immediately hit it off. The newly hatched wasp was surprisingly gentle and enjoyed pets and scratches.

Once our business concluded, she made her way to the exit. I, being the gracious and elegant saleswoman that I was, escorted Taylor on her way out.

“I think I’ll name her Rose. It was my Mom’s maiden name.” Taylor says this as she and I cross the landing bridge. A forlorn smile on the girl’s face as she remembered her dearly departed mother. No child should ever have to experience such a tragedy.

“That is a lovely name to give the Hellwasp dear Taylor. I am sure your mother would be proud of your choice. Please, take care of yourself and Rose. Remember that you can always come to me for help.” I say this to Taylor as I wave goodbye. With a flow of brunette curls, the hero of Earth Bet departed from The Midnight Zone.

I had mixed feelings about what just occurred. On one hand, I was giddy because I had given Taylor a companion that would give her a very powerful edge. On the other hand, I was saddened by the sighs and pitiable expressions Taylor produced. I helped her dream of becoming a hero, but that still left her volatile school life undisturbed. I needed to act against the trio soon. Plans within plans.

“Perhaps I should go for a walk,” I say this to no one in particular as I disappear into my workshop in a flash. I needed to get ready for my little outing.

[Taylor Hebert - Brockton Bay - 04/12/2011 - 12:00 AM]

“Are you ready Rose?” I asked my Hellwasp if she was ready for our first night out. I was going to be a hero. I received a series of buzzing chirps from Rose as she and I snuck out the back door of the house.

I had everything ready. Costume, check. Pepper spray, check. Baton, check. Swarm, check. Giant demon wasp, check.

“I hope you’re watching Mom. I’m gonna be a hero.” I whisper this into the night as Rose begins to vibrate her wings. A sizzling illusion covered us as we became an invisible mirage. Only the sound of my running steps and Rose’s beating wings could be discerned as we sneaked our way into ABB territory.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading the second chapter! I hope you enjoyed the story so far!

Please feel free to ask me any questions. Also, if there are any grammatical errors, please point them out!

24. Snu Snu Kween

Thank you for your praise, I'm grateful for the watch. I too am excited for the oncoming onslought of aneurysm induced by the SI! :D

Well...Almost everything! Also yes, the shop is run by a big endbringer lady vampire with mega milkies.

You're very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

I will post a link for everyone to see alongside the build and some image references after I take a rest.

As for the reactions from the 'others', I hope to add them to the story soon! Hopefully the 2nd chapter gave you some satisfaction in the meantime.

25. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

The greatest form of mind control against men; Booba.

26. LordTom

LordTom Know what you're doing yet?

Put a brute rating with them because those titties must hurt her back

27. meloa789

I hope that Taylor works in the Midnight Zone at some point. It would be a great way to earn money and also get a hold on the many exotic bugs.

28. 1eragon33

1eragon33 Getting sticky.

I would say poor Lung but the man is a hypocrite, Human trafficer, murderer, Human Trafficer, asshole, racist, and forces young girls to be sex slaves. I can sometime deal with Lung depending on how a story builds him but until proven otherwise I believe him to be the canon and the canon man is literally one step below Coil on my to hate scale.

29. Altrium

Altrium Fuck this sites garbage ass favorite system. Gone for Good

i usually don't like reading stories with female protags(though i check them out incase they are something i might enjoy), but this caught my eye immediatly, great so far, even with as little as there is, can't wait for more!

30. Wintercat

Wintercat Curious Lurker

Oh damn. I don't feel any pity towards Lung, but Skitter just got a hell of a lot scarier. Small swarms are excellent for gathering information, and larger swarms can inflict noteworthy damage on non-capes, but now she has a companion/pet with her that should be able to put Lung in a real tough spot. Not to mention the illusions and invisibility, if she wants to escape a scene, her companions abilities should make it difficult for others to try and track her down.

I am actually looking forward to Lung's reaction, not to mention seeing what happens when Tattletale gets a glimpse of the creature. Whether it will make her freeze on the spot or hyperventilate, or something else, we'll see in due time, but I imagine it will not be a calm and collected response at all. Not to mention I imagine Bitch might be a lot more careful about going anywhere close to Taylor while she has a pet like that around. Her mind might be wired different, but I think the animal side will be pretty insistent that pissing off the big bug with a stinger like that is a bad idea.

I am almost hoping that the shock of it all will give Coil an aneurysm, but we would not be that lucky. Then again, the man's a bastard and an inglorious death might be a hilarious one, but yeah unlikely to happen. Still, amusing as hell to imagine.