1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clarification on Necromancy Rule

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by kingtaso01, Apr 6, 2020.

1. kingtaso01

kingtaso01 Not too sore, are you?

I had a small Omake that I've never posted to a Quest I followed on the NSFW Questing section. Today, reading my old notes, I found the Omake and finished it (less than 1000 words), but discovered the Quest is dead since August 1st, 2016.

Am I allowed to post the Omake? Rule 7 states that thread Necromancy is (very) conditionally permitted if it is a significant contribution; story update, new information on current events, new activity for games elsewhere, etc.

I don't think a 1000 word Omale is a significant contribution, but it's a small tribute to a quest I loved quite a lot 4 years ago. It's obvious the quest is dead. The author himself stated in the thread he lost all interest in continuing it.

I just want to know if I'm allowed to post the Omake, even taking into consideration the fact that the Quest is very dead.

Ttw1, Ragura, wasprider and 1 other person like this.
  2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

An omake is considered a significant contribution

3. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

Is announcing a spinoff quest a 'significant contribution'?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I don't think so. Just start it and reference the quest it's a spinoff from in the new thread.

Ddmkm122 and Secret Secretion like this.
  5. ChiChi

ChiChi I trust you know where the happy button is?

What about posting typos? as I read stories I make notes of typos I see so the author can fix them and I was just reading an older story without realizing it had been completed and posted a bunch of typos midway through

6. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

If you're doing actual C&C, which includes typographical errors and grammatical errors, that counts as significant contribution.

Please note it has to be ACTUAL corrections as opposed to you just "quoting" text.

Ttw1, Jamsheed, Ddmkm122 and 3 others like this.
  7. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Going to have to disagree here. If the story is dead/over, there is no purpose to it especially if far too long passed.

Merlin, Rekka, Ddmkm122 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

To toss my hat in the ring next to Bii's, it might depend on the amount of typos. Editing is 'effort put in to help improve the work'. An omake won't count if it's a one-liner, conversely, if you've compiled a long list of typos, the author is generally appreciative and would consider it a worthwhile contribution to the thread.

9. DIT_grue

DIT_grue lurker

And on the other other hand: speaking as someone who tries to do that when I can (and enjoys public acknowledgement of the effort, including Likes from random readers) - I can see the argument that functionally, this is something that can work just as well in a PM as in thread. After all, from a reader's perspective it only improves the work if the author then goes through and fixes the problems you found.

10. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

Good point! Unlike omakes, editing isn't meant for public viewing. Sorry, Bii, I'm on Mega's team now.

11. milk man

milk man Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Ttw1 likes this.
  12. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

Okay, that is either a mistake or an incredibly context-sensitive joke, but as a joke I love it.

Ttw1 and january1may like this.