• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Dao of Money [Xianxia]
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

When Chen Ren transmigrated as a trouble-making young master in a world of cultivation overrun by sects, beasts and clans full of murderous people, he wanted nothing to do with it.

He simply wanted to make money.

After all, even in a world of magical murderhobos, money ran supreme.

Among the numerous martial daos, he chose the dao of money, using his brains and earthly knowledge to build businesses and acquire resources to reach immortality.

But before that, he had to deal with a mountain of debt, the cultivators who wanted to kill him and deciding on his first business idea.

What to expect -

1. Lots of businesses and mc getting rich.
2. Cute cat.
3. An interesting Cultivation journey.
4. Mysteries.
5. Face slapping

What not to expect -

1. Harem
2. Not cats
Dao of Money - Chapter 1 New

TC_Liyanage1

Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?
Chapter 01

-

The moment Tang Xiulan's broom touched the dry cobblestone tiles, a piercing, frustrated scream resounded through the courtyard.

A jolt of fear shot up her arms as she clutched the barren wooden handle tighter, her blisters rubbing against its coarse surface while she pulled up the broom away from the tile. Soon enough, her fright was replaced with confusion, her eyes locked on the dust-covered bristles that had been the same for the last three years.

She shook herself out of her stupor, and continued to sweep, but instead another scream erupted once more the very moment the bristle touched the tile. A sharp thud of an object hitting the floor followed it.

She lifted the broom up high, inspecting the head. Strange. Did the master change all the brooms to elicit screams and sounds?

However, despite her broom's bristles not touching the tiles, another loud noise came out loud and clear. A scream of pain followed it as if someone had fallen on the ground and hit their head hard.

Tang Xiulan finally located the source of the disturbance. But instead of investigating any further, she decided to keep her head down, sweeping quickly while ignoring the repeated screams of pain and frustration.

A few minutes passed, and the screams finally died down till the morning was as silent as ever.

Footsteps approached her rapidly from behind, the click-clack of slippers knocking against mouldy wooden panels shocking Tang Xiulan into alertness. She spun on her heel, her body preparing to lock into a submissive bow when she finally saw who was coming towards her.

Tang Xiulan relaxed her guard, returning to her usual self while crossing her covered arms in exasperation, the loose pale blue robe accented with silver cranes flapping gently in the wind. "What are you doing here, trying to skive off work again? Do you even want to continue working as a maid?" She chided at the young woman with flabby cheeks that looked barely an adult.

"What are you talking about, Sister Tang?" The other maid looked aghast. "I heard a terrible scream, it sounded like someone was dying in one of the guest rooms. Is young master Chen Ren okay?"

Tang Xiulan rolled her eyes, knowing fully well why she was worried. "Don't worry about him, there's nothing we can do for him. Master already gave him the best mortal healer in the city."

"But still—"

"And even the healer said only the heavens can decide his fate now. If he dies, then at least the guest room could be opened for other, important guests. It's already a miracle that he woke up and was able to let out those screams, but he seemed to have gone back to sleep since it's so silent." Tang Xiulan swept her long black hair back behind her ears, returning to her sweeping tasks.

The other maid frowned and looked like she wanted to argue, but she held it in.

She hurriedly walked up to the guest room where the screams were coming from, the same robe uniform trailing her feet. She tried to peep in through a gap in the sliding wooden panels before returning. "Looks like he's still up… just going through one of his books and clenching his fist. Young master Chen seems pretty frustrated."

"Hey, why do you care so much about him? Do you really think he would make you his concubine just because he talks sweetly with you? You need to know your status and let him be. Nothing good comes out of getting involved with a cultivator, especially one with such a bad reputation," Tang Xiulan snarled, saying the last part in a whisper, albeit Chen Ren managed to hear it.

"He's not so ba—"

"Someone who squanders away money everyday, philanders with young girls like you, fights all the time in bar brawls and brags about challenging the heavens yet can't succeed in the Soaring Sword Sect entrance examinations! Too bad he got matched with the City Lord's son, Li Xuan and had been on the bed for a week."

"He's still an esteemed guest and a cultivator. What if he got to know what you think of him?"

"Then, that would be the end of me." Tang Xiulan glared. "So be it, but anyone in the city who knows him thinks of him like that. It's only you who has rose tinted lenses for your eyes."

"When you put it that way..."

"When I put it that way, it means you should go back to scrubbing the damn clothes. Sun isn't going to be up for much longer, you know. You want to get scolded by the young miss again when she comes back from the market?"

"Oh no!" The young maid glanced up at the rising sun, gave one last look at the guest room before frantically running away and leaving Tang Xiulan alone.

Tang Xiulan sighed, releasing her pent-up anger on her broom sweeps, each movement kicking up clouds of dust accumulated and fallen leaves from the nearby trimmed trees.

She couldn't care less about Chen Ren and for all she knew, it was only her master's goodwill and business connections with the Chen Clan that let him stay here.

She continued about her task of cleaning up the courtyard, finally reaching the last task of the day— cleaning the guestrooms.

That also involved changing the bandages of Chen Ren, a task she vehemently hated. Still, she had to do it and as she moved towards the guestrooms, she heard him talking to himself in a strange tone.

"What's going on? Have I really crossed over to another world? Fuck! I want to return back to my apartment."

A-par-t-ment?

She had no idea what that meant and as she peeped in through the gap, she saw him pulling out his hair in exasperation. She wondered if he had gone crazy due to his defeat to Li Xuan and had gained a heart demon.

That thought scared her and she took a step back, aiming to run away and inform her master, but before she could turn, Chen Ren noticed her. "Hey, please come in. I want to talk to you."

She wished to refuse, but had no reason to. Slowly, she slid the door open and stepped inside, taking a look at the room which seemed to have gone through a storm.

The round wooden table tucked neatly into the corner of the room was chock full of medication and ointments left behind by the healer, while bloodied bandages were strewn all over the floor. Books were scattered alongside crumbled parchments. Clothes and bedsheets lined the floor and it seemed like Chen Ren had practically searched through the room for something.

As she sized him up, she saw him staring right at her with his amber eyes. His long black hair, same as hers, was untied and reached the floor and his skin was pale and unblemished. His features were handsome with a sharp jawline and he held a medallion in his hand that she recognised as an heirloom of sorts.

He should have been on the bed, barely being able to move as the healer had told them. Yet, there was a sharpness in his voice. "Who am I? And your name… it's Tang Xiulan, right?"

She looked at him in surprise. He had never spoken her name out loud before and it was strange that he even bothered to remember it. "Yes, young master. And you are Chen Ren, the scion of the Chen Clan of—"

"Red Peak City and I'm a third star body forging realm cultivator and this is the Tang family courtyard in Cloud Mist City. Recently, I lost a fight against someone named Li Xuan, trying to enter the Soaring Sword Sect and had been bedridden since then with half of my body scorched in the battle."

She nodded her head slowly, confused as to what was going on. "Yes, that's correct."

As soon as she said that, he lowered his head and almost smacked it on the ground. His whole body slumped against the floor and he looked as if he had just learned of his whole family dying to a rogue demonic cultivator. Obviously, nothing of that sort happened, making his reaction even more mysterious.

"This can't be… these memories are all real," he muttered, looking stranger and stranger every second.

She moved towards him. "Young master, is everything okay? I can call a healer for you if you want."

"No, nothing is okay, but I don't need a healer. I will just rest and process all this. Can you please give me some space?"

Once again, she looked at him in surprise. Not only was he talking strangely, he had never been this polite to her before. Had the loss affected him to such a degree for him to change his ways? No, she doubted it.

"Okay," she said, turning on her heels and sliding the door open. Looking back, she saw him muttering something under his breath, but none of it made sense to her. She could only leave and report it to the master.

Tang Xiulan still harboured curiosity in her heart as to what was going on, but she wasn't brave enough to ask him. She won't be able to bear the consequences if it angered him and she didn't want to take any chances.

She slowly made her way outside the guest room, hoping to find a cat that would often come around in the courtyard when she heard footsteps coming towards her. Looking up, she saw the young maid walking with a man who she recognised as Feng Ming, one of Chen Ren's drinking buddies and another cultivator.

A charming smile hung on his lips as both of them stopped before her. She quickly bowed to him. "Young master Feng Ming."

"Has Chen Ren woken up?" he asked, promptly. "I need to meet him urgently."

Tang Xiulan hesitated, thinking back to the strange behaviour she had just seen. "He did wake up a while back, but I don't think it's an appropriate moment to meet. Young master Chen is still in the middle of getting his bearings."

Feng Ming's face fell at that, the smile disappearing. Tang Xiulan felt as if she had said the wrong words.

"It doesn't matter. If he had woken up, he would be happy enough to see me. Lead the way to his room," he said in a commanding tone.

She had no way of refusing him, so she nodded and turned back before giving a subdued glare to the young maid who had led Feng Ming to her. "This way, young master."

As they walked through the hallways, another scream resounded out, causing her to pause and rub her forehead.

What is really going on with him?

Chen Ren screamed, looking at the ceiling as if cursing at whatever deity that was responsible for his current situation. He felt like he had been tossed into an awful situation, one he had no way of coming out of.

Panic clawed at his heart and his whole body trembled as he slumped onto the cold floor. Memories that were not his constantly moved around in his mind and he didn't ignore it. He couldn't after he had confirmed that they were real.

"I guess… this is really me now," he whispered, looking at a mirror on the side.

An unfamiliar face reflected back. He frowned, running his hands through his long black hair. He used to have brown hair before, that had also changed alongside his identity.

From a business management college student that was busy looking for a job, he had become Chen Ren, the exiled young master of Chen Clan. Not only that, he had somehow transmigrated into a Xianxia world, one where strength ruled and immortals reigned supreme.

A land rife with danger and opportunity in equal measure. Here, murder wasn't a crime, it was a statistic and any rogue cultivator had the right to murder you for small offences.

His situation couldn't be worse. Yet, as he looked down at the parchments at his feet, his reality came crashing down even further. They were debt records, money that he had taken from various people in the city to run his hedonist lifestyle. As he counted them all, his heart fell, cursing the body he had found himself in.

Still, Chen Ren tried his best to stay calm. He had already spooked the maid by repeated screams of frustration. He needed to act normal to deal with his situation.

He squeezed his eyes shut, taking deep breaths and processing everything. As he was in the middle of it, footsteps rang outside the door. He opened his eyes, wondering if Tang Xiulan was back.

The next moment, the door opened, revealing Tang Xiulan followed by another maid and a man that didn't look like a servant.

He had short black hair with a stubble growing on his cheeks. From the silver robes he wore, it was clear that he was someone important.

The man's boisterous voice immediately dominated the serene courtyard the moment he stepped over the wooden threshold into the room. "Chen Ren! You're alive! Thank the heavens — I watched that battle between you and Li Xuan. It was certainly the most unfair fight to pit you against the City Lord's son, but you did well. Not many can even survive against [Blazing Hawk Fist]. How have your injuries been?"

Chen Ren starred in a trance-like state for a few brief moments as Tang Xiulan moved to leave and close the door, giving them privacy.

Who is this now? I faintly recalled someone like this. Ah, Feng Ming!

From what he remembered, he was one of his few "friends" and drinking buddies, a cultivator on the same realm as him. Why was he here? He had no idea, but he needed to act like Chen Ren.

Finally, he snapped out of the trance, replying with a joyful face and an exaggerated voice. "Haha, a mere [Blazing Hawk Fist] wouldn't deter me at all! This entrance test was nothing but a mere hiccup in my path to be a cultivator who would challenge the heavens."

"True," Feng Ming said, scooping closer to him till he stood right in front. "You have always been very motivated about your cultivation,"

"One needs to be motivated when they are on the path to being immortal. You know that very well, Brother Ming," he replied, growing tired of maintaining a smile. "I am happy that you came to check on me, and as you see, I'm recovering well."

Feng Ming crossed his arms, his original enthusiasm clearly diminished for some reason. He gave a look around the messy room before snarling. "I can definitely see that and since you're recovering so well, then perhaps you would be able to return all the debt you currently owe me, right?"

"Of cou— wait what?"

Dao of Money - Chapter 2 New
Chen Ren stared into the eyes of the man, a cold realisation sinking in. Had his luck gone this bad this soon? He had just entered the world and felt like an inferno of trouble shoved at him.

Trouble in the face of a not so friendly man. His gaze had turned cold, the pleasant smile that adorned his face when he entered the room was no longer there.

A chill ran down his spine under the gaze.

Feng Ming's previous demeanour was probably a ruse, simply to know his condition and now, he was revealing his true motive for coming here. It was a clever ploy and one that he hadn't expected.

His mind had been too preoccupied with things to prepare for debtors.

He sifted through some of the memories related to this man, Feng Ming. In those, he witnessed how they would often go drinking together and it was also Feng Ming who had told him to take a debt from him when Chen Ren's money had run out. Originally, the debt was small, just for drinks and food but over time, it has accumulated to a good amount.

It was almost as if he was trying to get Chen Ren in debt. A little more probing in his mind and he realised why it was so.

The man's eyes narrowed. "You're not going to back out of this, are you?" The menacing undertone brought him back to reality.

Chen Ren met his gaze, his expression unchanged. In his mind, he was still calculating how to act with him with all the memories he had. He didn't want to act out of character or make himself sound more suspicious than he already had.

He cleared his throat after a while.

"Of course not, Brother Ming," he replied, his tone laced with feigned nonchalance. "I wouldn't dream of it. I was never going to hold back the money from you"

The man's eyes flickered with doubt. "And how exactly do you plan to repay me? You have no job, no prospects, and you've failed the sect entrance exams. Don't you think you're just fooling me… Or yourself, at this point?"

"I would never dream of breaking my promise," Chen Ren said, his voice firm. "Even if I'm down on my luck, my honour is intact." He paused, his eyes glinting with defiance as he thought on the right words to say. "Besides, I still have my connections. I'm a member of the Chen Clan of Red Peak City. I've already sent a message requesting financial assistance to repay my debt."

The man's expression shifted. His eyebrows raised in disbelief.

Although Chen Ren had been exiled, most people in Cloud Mist City had no idea about it. Even the merchant family he was staying in was tight lipped on this matter and others only knew that he had a great background. They had no idea about the specifics.

The original Chen Ren hardly spoke about his family, so this was probably something unexpected for Feng Ming.

"You haven't asked them for money in months," he said, his voice laced with doubt. "Why now?"

Chen Ren shrugged, affecting a nonchalant air. "I've been trying to make it on my own," he explained. "As you know, a cultivator needs to be brave enough to explore and challenge the world without the help of his family. But circumstances have forced my hand. The Chen Clan is an ancient and powerful family. I'm sure they will come through for me."

As soon as the words left his lips, a new fear crawled through his skin. Will his bluff even work? From how the black eyes bore into him, and how the man's lips had formed to a tight, thin line… he couldn't say what was going through Feng Ming's mind.

He was fully prepared for a punch to fly and could only rely on his ability to shout to call for help from Tang Xiulan. Hopefully, she would be able to come to his aid with guards.

At the same time, he faked a confident smile to Feng Ming who still looked at him with scepticism. Finally, the man spoke. "Even if you get the money, when will it arrive? I can't wait indefinitely."

"It won't take long."

"I don't know how long it might take. I don't even know where Red Peak City is. Just tell me how much I would have to wait."

The question worsened his worries. Chen Ren knew he had to come up with a solution quickly. He couldn't afford a physical confrontation as cultivators loved to talk with their fists, especially young ones like Feng Ming.

The debt was around five hundred silver wen, and even if it was a fraction of the total debt he owed to various people, he knew it wasn't a small amount.

It was safe to say, Chen Ren's body wouldn't handle another bloody punch. But he wasn't going to just die after finding himself in this world.

That would be too short of a life.

As he looked around for a solution, an idea formed in his mind. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the medallion that he had been looking at before Feng Ming had arrived.

If this works, it'll buy me time. I don't even know what use it is for.

"If you're so worried about your money," he said, his voice steady. "You can keep this as collateral until I repay you. But I want a promise from you that you won't sell it. It's an heirloom, and it holds significant sentimental value… It's also ancient, so I don't want to lose it."

The medallion had been a gift to Chen Ren from his late father who had gotten it from his own father, meaning it was fairly old.

The former body owner obviously didn't care for it— no emotions were attached to it and it was nothing that would keep him awake at night even if it went missing. However, he didn't want it to be sold, especially to this man. For all he knew, it was ancient enough to go for a few thousands silver wen, but it could also be worthless.

Ordinary looking ancient treasures were one of the staples of Xianxia after all. Chen Ren didn't even have the idea of the metal the medallion was made up of.

Feng Ming's eyes lit up with greed as he took the medallion, examining it with a keen eye. "Very well. I'll come for the money in a month," he said, his voice dripping with condescension.

"Two months," Chen Ren quickly retorted. "The city my clan lives in is far away."

The man paused, then nodded. "Fine. Two months. Don't disappoint me."

With that, he gave a final, menacing glance, turned and left, leaving Chen Ren to ponder his next move.

Chen Ren slumped onto the bed, his body aching with exhaustion. Everything that happened since morning came to him in waves. The transmigration, his current identity and most importantly, the big, bad news— the debt. The ordeal had drained him physically and mentally.

Although he wanted to think of an immediate solution, he knew he couldn't. Not at this state. Therefore he did something he should've done right when he woke up in this body, and closed his eyes, allowing sleep to claim him.

There was a lot to do and a part of him wondered if this was all a dream and he would wake up in his original body on Earth, going back to sending resumes to every company on LinkedIn, but for now, he just wanted to rest.

It wasn't a dream.

It had been two days since he woke up in this world, and no one else came to see him, partly because he instructed Tang Xiulan to spread the rumours that he had gone back to being unconscious after waking up once.

His memories had straightened by now and even his injuries seemed to have been healing at a considerable pace. He had no idea if it was because of his cultivation, the transmigration or because of the potency of the medicines of this world.

Still, the speed of healing was miraculous and it wouldn't be possible on earth. Even Tang Xiulan was shocked when she came to check on him.

It made him more curious to learn about this world and the secrets it held. At the same time, he realised that he was highly inadequate to do so.

Chen Ren hadn't been much of a cultivating genius nor was he hard working enough to fill the gaps between him and others.

The way to identify a cultivator's talent was by the number of spirit roots their dantian held and he had merely 21 of them, meaning his talent was on the far lower end of the spectrum.

If he had even a semblance of talent, his clan wouldn't have kicked him out.

But maybe, he might be able to do something about it.

On his third day in this world, Chen Ren was finally trying out something that he should have done on the first day itself.

He was going to see if he had a system inside of him.

It felt a little silly, but transmigration itself was the strangest thing that could happen to someone.

If two days ago someone had poked him and said he would transmigrate to a world where his body wouldn't be his own and his memory would be of learning magical kung fu in a land full of magical beasts, he'd slap that man and walk away without looking back.

But now transmigration had happened, there was a chance that he'd get a system to guide him through the ups and downs of this world.

He had to try.

Similar to the countless books he'd read, he focused on his mind— on the memories of Chen Ren. The solution he had in mind was simple; if he could control the memories, he should be able to control the status screen.

"Open status screen!" Chen's voice came loud enough in the empty room and he hoped that the maid wasn't standing outside.

He opened his eyes, expecting a see-through screen with information.

Huh? Nothing… Maybe if I use different words.

"System start!" Chen Ren commanded again.

He squinted his eyes in focus and tried once more.

Essence Display. Ascendant Tracker. Chi Monitor. Celestial Dashboard. Divine Panel. Mystical Overview. Pathway Gauge. Enlightenment Screen. Aura Interface. Qi Status. Destiny Grid. Heaven's Ledger. Immortal Ledger. Soul Metrics. Fate Indicator. Dao Interface. Sage Summary. Warrior's Console. Sect System.

… And nothing.

No holographic menus, no character stats, and no inventory. Just the cold, hard reality of his new world. He couldn't count the amount of alternative words he used, but in the end, he gave up on that.

If there was any status prompt to pop up — it would have already.

He didn't necessarily expect a system, but he couldn't shake off the feeling that it would help him find his lefts-and-rights in this world.

Without it, he needed to find new ways to gain strength, but before that, he needed money. Over five thousand silver wen of debt loomed over him and one look at his memories was enough for him to realise that most people he had taken money from weren't simple folks.

They would surely come for him and he wasn't strong enough to deal with them. Running away wasn't an option either and he didn't want to contend with the wild lands until he had a semblance of ability and money to hire guards.

Chen Ren preferred plans that left room for adaptation and there were only so many things that could make money in this world. It was fairly easy for a cultivator to make money, but most of that required him to move to dangerous places and fight monstrous beasts.

So, he decided on a different way. One which employed his memories from Earth, the knowledge he had gained. He didn't remember everything, but he had a good memory and it would come in handy here.

He decided to use his experience of working odd part time jobs, learning things in his university and online knowledge to start a business. He didn't have the required capital to do much and he didn't want to borrow more, but he had connections and a bundle of knowledge.

As he recovered, he saw enough differences between the technological level of the world and the one he had come from. His memories revealed a lot and even if he had no knowledge of qi and cultivation, there were a lot of ideas in his mind.

He could employ those to draft up a business plan and for the next two days, he scribbled away plans of ventures he could dabble in and also wrote down things that could potentially harm him. From debtors to rogue cultivators, Chen Ren wanted to take no risk as he went on with his ideas.

I might be in a rotten situation. Practically, an orphan and exiled. Failed to get in a sect and heavy on debts. But I'm not one to give in to circumstances. If this was a sinking boat with holes, I had no option but to learn how to swim.

It had been a week since he had woken up in this unfamiliar body and finally, the day to venture outside had arrived.

Thanks to Tang Xiulan, and the kindness of the merchant family, he was able to recover in peace. She had been his only visitor as per his request to not allow anyone inside the room and even if someone came, she would turn them down by saying he hadn't woken up.

Unsurprisingly, it worked. No one wanted to visit an unconscious Chen Ren and it seemed like most of his debtors had decided to leave him be.

He could feel that Tang Xiulan didn't like him, but she had worked with a quiet efficiency when she brought him medicines to recover and cleaned his room. He was thankful and tried to be polite with her, but her wariness hadn't dropped. The previous occupant of this body hadn't been a pleasant person and it took time to change perception.

Still, he was thankful for her and planned to return the favour once he had some money to spare.

First step would be to check out my surroundings and see if my plan is going to work, he thought as he got up, feeling a surge of energy and excitement on finally being able to venture outside.

He slipped on a loose-fitting robe, making sure to cover most of his face. He wasn't sure if his creditors had taken any drastic measures; for instance, planting people outside to wait for him and he wasn't eager to find out.

It was best to keep a low profile for now. He closed the door of the room and walked outside.

He took a look around and saw that he was in a wide hallway and his memories helped him navigate through it, but as he turned around a corner, he was met with a watchful pair of eyes.

"Where are you going, young master?" Tang Xiulan asked, her voice laced with curiosity. She was holding a tray of food and seemed to be heading towards his room.

Chen Ren offered a reassuring smile. "I'm going to the market. I need to check out a few things."

She hesitated, her eyes scanning his face. "I know you have healed, young master, but the master wanted to see you after lunch," she said, her voice low.

He paused in his steps. The merchant family he had been living with was called Tang Clan and its head's name was Tang Jihao— a man who had started from nowhere and now dabbled in quite a few businesses around the city.

He hadn't met him more than twice since coming to this city as Tang Jihao was always busy and now that he had healed, Chen Ren could guess what he would have wanted to talk about.

"I'll visit him later," he said, delaying the inevitable for the moment. "Right now, I have some errands to run."

"May I know what errands?" she asked, her eyes not leaving him.

"Just want to check a few things in the market," he replied, then realised that didn't know the way to it. Chen Ren hadn't bothered to explore the city and he only knew the location of the bars and the brothels. "Do you want to come with me if you are free?"

"Me?" Tang Xiulan looked surprised.

"Yes, I don't know the way to the market. I want to go to the one in the commoner's district."

For a few seconds, she seemed to be contemplating, but soon nodded her head.

She still looked a bit wary of him and told him to wait as she moved back to one of the rooms which he recognised as the kitchen. When she returned, he saw that her hair was down and her clothes were smoothened.

"Let's go," he said, leading the way outside and Tang Xiulan walked next to him. He noticed that she was putting a fair bit of distance between them and even if her face was blank, her eyes kept glancing at him.

I wonder if she's going to ever warm up to me.

He shook his head of the thought and ignoring her eyes, he looked around him.

Cloud Mist City was one of the biggest cities in the region and as he moved through the crowd, he could see why. The streets were wide and carriages rolled past easily with enough space for the pedestrians. Every street was occupied by a good number of houses and it was planned well.

As he raised his head, he could even see mountains and at their peaks, he knew the Soaring Sword Sect was located. A tang of unease and guilt flowed through him as he thought of the sect.

Chen Ren's feelings hadn't completely gone away from his body, so even if he was in control, the memories brought forth more than a few displeasing things. From his guilt to his aspirations.

"Young master, can I ask you something?" Tang Xiulan's words took his attention as he turned to look at her and nodded. "Why are we going to the market?"

"I want to check out the market and see everything that's being sold there," he replied as they rounded a corner.

"There's mostly street stalls and small shops there. They won't satisfy you. If you want to buy something, you need to walk a bit more to reach the upper district."

He stopped and looked at her. She stiffened. "I'm not going there to buy something. I plan to start up a business and for any business, one needs to scout out the market. You can't enter a lake without knowing what type of fish swims inside of it."

"A business?!" Tang Xiulan looked at him aghast, but he started moving again.

She followed after him, taking the lead to take him to the market, but she kept tilting her head and looked confused.

Chen Ren knew she wasn't going to believe him. His predecessor wasn't the type to like merchants and businesses, and even looked down upon them. He was using Tang Clan as a residency, but he always had an air of superiority about him.

He was an idiot and now, it was his job to change that. Soon, they reached the market and found it bustling with activity.

The air was thick with the scents of exotic spices and the clamour of merchants hawking their wares. He looked around slowly, taking in the details in broad daylight.

Silken fabrics in every imaginable hue fluttered in the breeze, their rich textures on display. On one side, artisans displayed intricate jewellery, each piece shining, catching the attention of multiple women who stood by the stall.

He guessed that most of them were fake if not all, but they were good enough to use in daily lives.

They rounded a corner. The scent of freshly baked bread mingled with the aroma of sizzling meats from food stalls made his mouth water and stomach grumble.

They didn't linger, but he took in all the items that were selling here. Most of them were meat dishes, especially pork and he also saw a lot of fish getting grilled. There were also steamed buns getting sold and quite a few people clamoured for them.

"There seems to be good demand for the food stalls. I wonder where they get the ingredients from," he muttered, moving to stand across a crowd that was gathered around a steam bun stall.

His words were directed at Tang Xiulan and she immediately picked up on it. "They have dealings with farmers, fisherman and pigsty. From what I know, a lot of stall owners directly buy from them in bulk and they also give money to hunters to get specific meat."

"What about beast meat?" Chen Ren asked, squinting to check out the different types of meat dishes on display. "Do any of them sell that?"

Tang Xiulan shook her head. "No, even a Tier 1 beast is hard to deal with and even if a group of hunters sometimes manage to hunt one, it's rare. Only a cultivator could procure beast meat and no sane cultivator would start a food stall or have dealings with one." He felt like that part was aimed at him, but she continued without skipping a beat. "I have heard there are specific restaurants that have beast meat dishes, but they are for cultivators only and mostly are controlled by a powerful clan or sect. There's a few in Cloud Mist City that serve beast meat, but it's only when cultivators come to dine and even then, they won't have anything more luxurious than Tier 2 beast meat."

Chen Ren recalled that his predecessor dined in one of them and didn't have money to pay, so he borrowed money from Feng Ming. The majority of the debt he owed to him was due to that.

He nodded at Tang Xiulan as his mind raced with the information. A part of him felt like a beast meat stall would work wonders, but if he actually started selling it, most of the commoners wouldn't be able to afford it. Beast meat was expensive and he had no plans of taking a loss.

"Let's keep moving," he said. "Do you know any shops that sell cultivation supplies here?"

"There will be some ahead. We are almost at the boundary of the upper district."

They walked with the wave of the crowd. His eyes planted on the bunch of children who darted between adults, a carefree expression on their faces. For a moment, he felt like it would have been better if he had transmigrated as a child. At least, he would have more time to find his way around this world then.

As he moved further away, he suddenly felt a gaze on his back and his heart fell. A prickling sensation crawled up his skin and he wondered if he had been identified by the debtors, but he kept walking for a while before stopping around in front of a stall and sneakily looking around. But he found nothing.

Was it just my mind playing tricks on me?

"What happened, young master?" Tang Xiulan asked, following his gaze.

"Nothing. Just stay still for a while."

She kept quiet and he pretended to check the trinkets that the stall was selling. Ten minutes passed like that before he finally gestured for her to move.

"What was that?" Tang Xiulan finally asked. "Is there someone following us?"

"I just felt like someone is. It's nothing now. Sorry for scaring you."

She stiffened at that and he wondered if she had noticed someone, but her gaze was locked onto him. "Young master, have I offended you?"

He shook his head, wondering what it was about. "No, you haven't."

"Then, why are you so polite to me? I have never heard you say sorry to anyone before."

Chen Ren didn't reply for a few seconds. He had given up on acting more like his predecessor, mainly because it was too much to act as such and if he wanted to change his image, he needed to change the way he addressed people. "I'm just trying to change. My defeat at the hands of Li Xuan gave me a new perspective. I'm just trying to follow it."

He had no idea if she was going to believe him, but if he kept up with his current personality, Tang Xiulan had to accept it sooner or later.

Soon, they reached a corner where an herbalist's stall was booming with activity. Next to it, there was a blacksmith, creating different items. A few city guards seemed to be talking to him and even if Chen Ren was interested in eavesdropping to find out their relationship with the business owners, he didn't want to attract their attention.

There would be ample time to look into the internal structure of the city later.

Finally, they found their destination which was a small shop located in an area beyond the market space. It was called the upper district, an affluent area in the centre of the city and he had been here before more than once.

Still, he had no idea the market was right next to it and had never entered this shop before.

Its shelves were lined with an assortment of herbs, pills, and talismans, each item bearing a price tag that made Chen Ren's eyes widen. A low-grade healing pill, for instance, costs nearly two months' worth of a common labourer's wages in this world which was around seventy silver wen.

The more he moved through the shelves, the higher the prices rose.

"Young master, you lookin' for something?" The shop clerk walked from behind a shelf of items.

He was a tall, lean man with darkened undereyes. He seemed to be overworked from one glance and Chen Ren had no idea why since the shop didn't seem to have a lot of customers at the moment. Maybe, he had simply come at a dull phase.

"Ah, not really, no. Was just wondering about the prices, that's all," Chen replied faint-heartedly.

The clerk smiled at that. "They're expensive, I know. The path of cultivation is not for the faint of heart or the empty pocket. These herbs, pills, and talismans you see are not mere commodities. They are the essence of years of research, rare ingredients, and countless hours of refining and I'm pretty sure they would help you out on your journey. Our items are much better than anyone else in the city and if you wish, I would like to show you one of our special pills that would help out anyone in the body-forging realm to make a breakthrough."

Chen Ren smiled at the clerk's marketing techniques. He had clearly identified him as a young first realm cultivator and tried to use it to sell him pills.

"How much will it cost?"

"Just a hundred silver wen. If you want a few of better qualities, it will be three hundred silver wen. Do you want to take a look at it?"

His face fell hearing the prices.

"I would refrain from doing so," he said as a matter of fact. "Like I said, I simply want to take a look around the shop for now. Thank you."

The clerk nodded and moved out of his way to talk to someone else who walked through the entrance.

Chen Ren took that time to wander farther inside the shop with Tang Xiulan following behind him.

His mind calculated prices and noted the names of the items in his mind— just in case, for the future. As he had expected, he could buy none of the items right now.

Even the lowest grade pills would cost him a lot and he could simply not afford it right now. If he actually planned to cultivate, his talent was going to be a big obstacle for him and for him to go past realms even with his below average talent, he would need a lot of resources.

After more than fifteen minutes of staring at them, he decided to take his leave. On his way out, he looked at the clerk and gave a small nod.

"May fortune favour you on your journey, young master," the clerk's optimistic voice rang after him.

May fortune favour me… I hope so too.

He had no idea if the clerk was being nice to him because of his robes or if he was just like this to all potential customers. Either way, he decided to remember his face and made his way back towards the streets that housed food stalls.

The smell of fresh bread hit his nostrils once again, but this time, his mind reeled. He kept thinking over the prices of cultivation resources and his debt.

The world of cultivation was a realm of opulence and exclusivity. He knew that well, but seeing it was different. It was a cold slap of reality that sobered him up.

What kind of a mess have I gotten into?

Chen Ren winced at that thought. That was followed by another thought… And another. Until a train moved in circles inside his mind and he found himself in front of a vendor selling skewers of grilled pork, the savoury scent proving too tempting to resist.

"How much for a skewer?" Chen Ren asked, looking at the juicy meat sizzling.

"Five copper wen," the man behind the stall replied with urgency, tending to the other customers who had already taken space.

"Give me three."

Chen reached into his pocket, pulled out two copper coins of ten and five denominations respectively that he had found in one of his robes and handed it over. He passed one of them to Tang Xiulan who bowed her head in gratitude.

Soon, his taste buds were filled with the enriching proteins. After a few bites, he felt possibilities rising in his mind.

In this world, mortal currency was in wen and it mostly had copper and silver coins with hundred copper making up one silver wen. It was an easy enough system for him to learn and his goal for today was simply to find out how the economy worked around here, for both cultivators and mortals.

His trip had told him that even if he wanted, he couldn't look at the cultivation resources till he got through his debt.

Money was the key. With enough of it, he could purchase the resources he needed to cultivate, he could repay his debts, and he could even carve out a comfortable life for himself.

As he finished his first skewer, he looked up at the stall owner and the people around him. He slowed down his chewing and simply observed him, noticing that he was selling at least ten skewers every half an hour.

His mind calculated the cost of the supplies, the time and the price of the licence to start up a stall. The more he thought, the more it seemed like a stall was the perfect beginning business for him.

"Young master, are you okay?" Tang Xiulan brought him out from his thoughts and he looked down at her.

"Yes. I'm just thinking about something."

"Can I ask what?" She asked, her face curious.

"You can," he replied. "I'm simply thinking that I should start up a stall. Not for selling beast meat. That would be too luxurious, but to sell food items. I believe I could start one that would sweep through the city and would be very popular."

Tang Xiulan blinked, her face a shade of disbelief. "Young master Chen, I'm sorry, but most of the stalls around here are old and have a steady set of customers. New stall owners already have a hard time and this work is way beneath your stature as a cultivator."

"No work is beneath anyone, Xiulan. In the grand sects, cultivators act as maids to other powerful cultivators. Is that work beneath them?"

"But they are still under cultivators, not mortals."

"It doesn't matter. Either way, I'm starting my own thing and not working under someone else." Chen Ren shook his head. "As for how I would make a difference in the market, it's pretty simple. I'm just going to create a product that's unique to me and make it popular."

"An unique product?" Tang Xiulan tilted her head. "What type of dish would that be?"

Chen Ren smiled. "You will see. It will surely be one that you would enjoy."

The more he talked, the more excited he got about what he had in mind. A dish that he had eaten a lot on Earth and even if he wasn't able to make it exactly the same, he knew a recipe that would work here.

A recipe that would take over the city.

-

hi guys, I'm tc. if u want, u can read advanced chapters in our patreon and join the discord server to have a chat with us, I'll drop the links down below :) Patreon for 15 chaps: https://www.patreon.com/extra26 Discord: https://discord.com/invite/nc3hVSCP2n

Dao of Money - Chapter 3 New
His first trip to the market narrowed down the scope for what could be his first business, but there were still quite a few worries swimming freely in his mind.

One of them was the constant reminder of debtors and he knew he had no time to waste with that problem. Therefore, he didn't hesitate to begin with his plans right after he decided what he should do.

The whole situation with the debtors was sticky. Sticky enough that it would put him in deep trouble if he didn't start working on the things he had planned. Because Chen Ren had been a hedonistic bastard.

Now, he was gone, but the due hangers remained.

Feng Ming, the first taste of the cruelty of the situation, didn't give the kindest of warnings until the collateral was given, but again, he couldn't do the same with the others who Chen Ren owed. He didn't have that many assets to calm down angered debtors.

In the best-case scenario, they might not come find him. On the contrary, even if the rest of them didn't arrive, he would have to earn at least five hundred silver wen in the next two months to get back his medallion.

Upon his return from the market to his abode, he immediately sought the aid of Tang Xiulan to pen letters to each of Chen Ren's debtors, humbly requesting leniency and an extension of time. It was a gamble, sending out these letters, as it might either buy him the precious time he needed or invite unwanted scrutiny. But at this point, he was no stranger to risk; he would not sit idly by while the wolves circled closer.

It was better to know what was coming to him rather than wait for them to knock on his door.

As he wrote the letters, he understood more and more who his predecessor had borrowed from. Local gangs to even the Li Clan, he had taken money from whoever was willing to give it.

It was a shock to learn that he hadn't borrowed anything from the Tang Clan, but he guessed that the predecessor was already living in the guestroom without rent for months and didn't want to do anything that might ruin the arrangement.

With the letters sent, he knew the first stone had been cast.

Chen Ren knew better than to invite disaster by waiting for it to arrive at his doorstep. His recent encounter with Feng Ming had left a bitter taste in his mouth, a reminder that his standing in this world was fragile. Though his pride chafed at the idea, he recognized the wisdom in humility.

Better to extend a hand in peace than to let a blade come close to my throat.

Moreover, Chen Ren's reputation in this world had been that of a man too proud for his own good, so a humble request for understanding might just catch his debtors off guard.

It was a calculated move— one that could either buy him time or invite further disdain. But in his mind, the roll of the dice was worth it.

Beyond this, Chen Ren established a disciplined routine over the next three days.

Each morning, he would make his way to the marketplace, his eyes sharp as he perused the stalls. He seldom made purchases, but he was not there to spend money. Instead, he observed, learning the intricacies of the marketplace: the competitions between stalls, unspoken rules, the ebb and flow of customers, and the subtle interactions between stall owners.

His efforts were not in vain.

The stall owners, most of them who were seasoned merchants, were more than willing to share their knowledge. Of course, he had to make small purchases to loosen their tongues, but the information he gathered was invaluable. They didn't see him as a threat, which suited him just fine.

After all, the more they underestimated him, the better for him.

As he gathered insights, he began to see the marketplace for what it truly was— a battlefield.

But unlike other fights, this one required patience, cunning, and a keen understanding of the human heart. That was an economic market and one couldn't just brute force their way to the top in it unlike cultivation.

Every time he made his rounds through the marketplace, he felt strange eyes on him.

He understood why. Clad in the fine robes of a young master from a reputable household, his appearance alone made him an oddity among the rougher, more practical traders and common folk. His handsome features, sharp yet softened by the polish of privilege, only made him stand out more. It was clear to anyone with half a mind that he didn't belong among the stall keepers and street merchants. Yet, here he was, day after day, seemingly more interested in their mundane dealings than a man of his stature should be.

He didn't let their looks bother him, though. They could whisper and speculate all they wanted; he had more pressing concerns.

Still, there was no denying that his behaviour drew attention, especially from Tang Clan's family maid.

Tang Xiulan didn't accompany him every day, but whenever she had free time, she would quietly follow, her eyes constantly flickering to him as if trying to decipher some hidden motive behind his actions.

Today was such a day where she had been accompanying him to the market.

At first, he ignored her glances. But as they walked, they grew more frequent until he could no longer pretend not to notice. Finally, he turned to her, his tone measured but with a hint of impatience.

"If you have something to say, then say it," he told her, watching as she flinched at his directness.

She hesitated, clearly torn between her duty and her curiosity. After a moment, she nodded, gathering her courage before asking the question that had been gnawing at her. "Young master, why are you doing this? Visiting the stalls every day, speaking to these merchants… It's not something someone of your standing would usually do."

His eyes softened slightly as he considered her question. He knew that his behaviour must seem strange to her, someone who had known his predecessor, an arrogant and untouchable young master. But again, it was not the reality anymore. He was not Chen Ren and he could never be like a cultivator too stuck up his ass.

Chen Ren's response was simple, "I did tell you before. I want to start up a business and I'm doing market research for it," he said with a straight face as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

Xiulan blinked in surprise, her expression shifting from confusion to shock as if he had just uttered the most blasphemous statement she had ever heard.

She stared at him, waiting for the punchline, but when she realised he wasn't joking, her shock turned to concern.

"Young master," she began carefully, appearing as if she was trying to find the right words to convey her doubts without offending him. "Starting a business isn't easy. There are many rules and regulations to follow. You'll need to establish a supply chain, deal with suppliers, and manage all sorts of details. It's... it's not something to be taken lightly. If you really want to start up a business, you should do so with cultivators, not among stall owners."

"Do you think cultivators would let me deal with them? Even if I have a good product, there's no guarantee they won't just steal it. I'm not strong enough to work with them."

Tang Xiulan again looked aghast. "I'm sorry young master, but still mortal businesses are a complicated matter."

He saw those words coming from a mile away. From the start, ever since he let her know what his plans were, she had not been optimistic about him starting a business.

Chen Ren nodded along. "I'm aware of that, Xiulan. That's why I've decided to start with something simple, something that's easy to manage but has the potential to grow into something much larger. A business that could span the entire Kalian Empire if done correctly."

Her scepticism was palpable, but by how she was fidgeting her fingers, it looked like her curiosity got the better of her. "What kind of business can that be, young master?" she asked, her tone cautious.

Chen Ren turned to her, his eyes gleaming with determination. "You already know the answer to that too. A stall."

For a moment, Xiulan's face was a portrait of disbelief. She stared at him as if he had just declared himself the emperor of the realm. But then, as if remembering her place, she quickly schooled her features into a neutral expression, all her facial features in place rather than eyebrows about to touch the hairline and her jaw about to hit the floor.

She quickly inhaled a generous amount of air and stood like she normally did. After all, it wasn't her place to question him, even if his plan seemed... questionable to her.

Ah! She doesn't know how far the food industry can truly go. In the Kalian Empire, there's no concept of a restaurant chain or a franchise. Most of them are bound to a city or town.

Chen Ren thought back to the restaurant chains back on Earth, especially the fast food ones. There wasn't a concept of fast food here, but no one said he couldn't create it.

They soon arrived at the familiar stall, one that had become a part of his daily routine. Today, there were only a few passing men who stood in front of it.

Unlike some busy days where an extra finger would be too much in a crowded place, Chen Ren found it easy to walk closer to the stall and stand in the front.

The stall owner, Old Man Tian was cheerful doing his daily skewer selling to a tall man who mindlessly captured the entire space. Tian immediately spotted him and greeted him with a broad grin, clearly pleased to see a repeat customer.

"Ah, young master! Welcome back!" Tian called out. "You have brought the young miss here again today."

Chen Ren smiled at that. Without waiting for a response, Tian started preparing his grill.

"What will it be today? The usual?"

Chen Ren nodded, his expression calm. "Yes, two skewers, please."

As the stall owner expertly prepared the skewers, Chen Ren turned to Xiulan and handed one to her without a word.

They ate in silence for a moment.

After a few bites, Chen Ren looked up and asked, "Were you able to do that thing I asked for?"

Tian's eyes brightened with understanding. "Yes, young master," he replied with a smile. "It's all taken care of. All that's left is to submit the document at the government office, explaining the nature of your stall and such."

Chen Ren gave a small nod of appreciation. "Thank you. What time would be best to do that?"

The stall owner leaned in slightly. "Tomorrow morning, early. That's when the clerks are in a good mood and the lines aren't too long."

"Understood," Chen Ren said, finishing his skewer with deliberate care. He handed the empty sticks back to the stall owner with a nod of thanks before turning to leave, Xiulan following close behind.

As they walked back home, Xiulan stepped closer to Chen Ren. "Young master," she began hesitantly. "What was that conversation about? You seem unusually close to that stall owner."

"Old Man Tian is one of the oldest vendors on this street," he explained. "He's seen many come and go, and he's always been more than willing to chat. Over time, I've made it a point to talk with him whenever I visit his stall and get a good rapport with him. Yesterday, I talked to him about getting a permit for the stall and he helped with it. As you know, doing anything in a government office isn't something as straightforward as it seems."

Xiulan frowned slightly, trying to piece together what he meant. "Not straightforward...?"

Chen Ren nodded. "Getting a permit isn't just about submitting a document. Sometimes, you're expected to grease a few palms to get things done quickly, but I don't have the funds for that. So, I've had to rely on good relationships and advice from those who've been through the process before."

"Can't you just… force your way through it?" She asked, surprising him a bit.

"I can, but I have realised violence isn't the best way to solve things. If I force my way in, there's tens of ways more trouble can come my way," he said, ignoring the petrified look on Tang Xiulan's face. "I asked the stall owner to put in a word with a clerk he might know. Not every clerk is the same— some are more by the book, while others expect a little something extra. He pointed me toward one who won't take bribes and will get the job done quickly."

"What does the stall owner get out of it in return, young master?"

Chen Ren's lips curled into a slight smile. "He gets to do a small favour for a cultivator and a young master. I've subtly hinted at my intentions while enjoying his skewers, and he probably thinks I'm just playing around with the idea of running a stall or that it's some sort of mental training as a cultivator. It doesn't matter what he believes. What matters is that he now has a story to tell— how he helped out a young master who's also a cultivator. That's worth more to him than any silver I could offer."

Xiulan nodded thoughtfully as they reached their compound. Chen Ren moved around to start heading towards his room from the courtyard.

At that moment, Tang Xiulan's voice called him out. "Young master, you might get the permit, but what are you planning to sell? From what I know, most things already have established stalls with regular customers."

Chen Ren paused, turning to her with a confident smile. "I've thought about that for a while," he said. "And I've come up with something that will stand out— a dish that no one here has tried before, something they won't be able to get enough of."

Intrigued, Xiulan's eyes widened at his words. "What dish is that?"

Chen Ren's smile widened as he replied, "How about I make some for you to try? All I need is a bag of rice and a mortar."

Xiulan blinked in surprise but quickly understood the intention behind his words. "I'll get them right away, young master," she said, hurrying off to gather the requested items.

A pair of sharp, shrewd eyes followed Chen Ren's every move, hidden in the shadows of a nearby alleyway.

The figure observing him had been tracking his behaviour for days, ever since he had begun his seemingly aimless wanderings through the marketplace. Tang Xiulan's flabbergasted expressions and confused questions did nothing to reassure the observer. If anything, they only confirmed what she had already suspected.

Chen Ren was dead and someone else had taken over his body.

The observer's thoughts swirled as she recalled the events that had led her to this conclusion.

She had already known something was amiss when he had woken up after that fateful defeat. The Chen Ren she knew would have been crushed by the loss, wallowing in despair, perhaps seeking solace in the pleasures of the brothels or the bottom of a wine jar. But this man— he had done none of that.

Instead, he walked around town with a sense of purpose, a glint of determination in his eyes that had never been there before. He seemed... almost fascinated by the world around him as if seeing it for the first time.

Her eyes narrowed as she continued to follow him, moving through narrow spaces, windows and rooftops. Every morning, she watched him converse with Xiulan, noting every detail, every shift in his demeanour.

This imposter was clever, she had to give him that. But he had made a fatal mistake— he underestimated the power of those who could see beyond the surface.

She could see the souls of everyone— and this soul was different.

It was stronger and more resilient, and it was slowly merging with the remnants of Chen Ren's original soul.

Whoever this person was, he wasn't the defeated young master who had once inhabited this body. Was he a demonic cultivator? Or perhaps a shapeshifter, one skilled enough to take on another's identity so seamlessly? She couldn't be sure. But she was certain of one thing— this man was not Chen Ren.

Her gaze hardened as she stepped back further into the shadows, her eyes glinting with a menacing glow. Whoever he was, she would find out soon enough. Their meeting was inevitable, and when it happened, she would uncover the truth behind this strange soul inhabiting Chen Ren's body.

As she slipped away, blending into the darkness, a cold smile played on her lips. The imposter might think he was clever, but she was always one step ahead. And when the time came, he would have to answer for whatever game he was playing.

That was her duty.

-

hi guys, I'm tc. if u want, u can read advanced chapters in our patreon and join the discord server to have a chat with us, I'll drop the links down below :)
Patreon for 15 chaps: https://www.patreon.com/extra26
Discord: https://discord.com/invite/nc3hVSCP2n

Back