• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Fanfiction and Academia

Anondylar

Lazy Turtle
I thought I would post this over here since no one seems to have heard of it yet. To make a long story short, there's a class at UC Berkley (student run) about fanfiction. It involved the students going to the author's page and posting constructive criticism and well, the author didn't react well, and some sites like tumblr/reddit have noticed too.

This is a link to a much more detailed OP since I'm to lazy to copy it. Read it for more information.

Anyway, thoughts on what happened?

I thought I would post this over here since no one seems to have heard of it yet. To make a long story short, there's a class at UC Berkley (student run) about fanfiction. It involved the students going to the author's page and posting constructive criticism and well, the author didn't react well, and some sites like tumblr/reddit have noticed too.

This is a link to a much more detailed OP since I'm to lazy to copy it. Read it for more information.

Anyway, thoughts on what happened?

People are crazy, and should be able to either ignore or just acceopt harsh criticism. The uprising against it is idiotic and has probably scared off MANY more people from ever reviewing or writing fanfiction, than the review itself, as these groups are claiming.

I concur, but personally, I believe it is much easier to just keep the criticism in the class, so to speak - though if the student posted it, it'd be their business.

Everyone thinks they can be a writer at one point or another in their lives. It would be best if the ones who both aren't good and aren't willing to improve would stop trying.

Anyone who says they don't want feedback on their work after sharing it with the world must live in a vacuum. No other possible explanation is plausible.

There are a couple of sides to this, as far as I can see. The author in question is a little bitch, without a doubt. 'How could 'You ramble a little' not be seen as wildly offensive' my ass. The 'teachers' of the class look like they picked out the absolute dregs of fanfiction to show their students. The students themselves, I pity.

Overall, fuck that guy. I post online because I want people to admire my work, and constructive criticism will only make me better. The only people who don't want it are the ones who use some variation of 'Don't like, Don't read!'

Even then, not all of them. Some put it up because what's inside is targeted towards a certain audience, some because they know that what they've written is a horrible violation of the English language and they're only writing is for fun.

Constructive criticism is good, yes.

But a lot of criticism is something like, "I like this story, but this should have gone that way, and that dude there should have done this." Backseat authoring.

There are a couple of sides to this, as far as I can see. The author in question is a little bitch, without a doubt. 'How could 'You ramble a little' not be seen as wildly offensive' my ass. The 'teachers' of the class look like they picked out the absolute dregs of fanfiction to show their students. The students themselves, I pity.

Overall, fuck that guy. I post online because I want people to admire my work, and constructive criticism will only make me better. The only people who don't want it are the ones who use some variation of 'Don't like, Don't read!'

Even then, not all of them. Some put it up because what's inside is targeted towards a certain audience, some because they know that what they've written is a horrible violation of the English language and they're only writing is for fun.
For some context, the course is specifically about fanfiction and sexuality or something along those lines, which is why the tutors picked works of that nature. Except for things like 'My Immortal', the tutors seem to have generally picked works they enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back