1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

FANTASTIC PHANTASM WARS Idea

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Reverent One, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Reverent One

Reverent One Getting sticky.

Alright, here it goes.

I tried starting a Magical Girl Wars-quest called Fantastic Phantasm on the /tg/ board at 4chan. As you can probably think, it fell flat on its face. I tried two times before turning to a different quest there all together.

I've reworked the idea majorly into something else so I ended up calling it Fantastic Phantasm Wars. There are franchises included that aren't specifically magical girl so labeling it as a 'magical girl crossover' would be wrong. It's more in line with "Super Heroine Chronicle" which includes things like Aria the Scarlet Ammo and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. The basic idea is that, like most SRW games, the settings are canon welded with each other. The story would be separated into 4 Acts with different characters showing up in those acts.

The universes/characters that would be showing up in Act 1 would be:
    Madoka Magica
    Date A Live
    Prisma Ilya
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    Touhou
    Index
    Nanoha
    Symphogear
    Mai-Otome
    Yume Nikki
    Sailor Moon

There is going to be time travel involved (courtesy of Chibiusa) later on in the quest which is where Symphogear and Mai-Otome would come in. Any ideas on what to add, setting, etc.? I'm kind of in a stump.

2. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

The biggest problem you're going to have is working out conflicting statements and background elements. For example the stated function of the Galaxy Cauldron conflicts with the mission statement of the Incubators because heat death is not a thing that can happen so long as it exists. If you're going for an SRW feel you also need to make the series click together in novel ways, for example the Silver Millennium was what the other universes from Nanoha called Al Hazard, and Moon Kingdom relics are what the Symphogears are using for their transformation devices.

3. ReinZero

ReinZero QQ voters, geniuses at opposing their own goals.

Hm... what about...

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
    Hidan no Aria
    Strike Witches
    Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
    Campione!
    Fortissimo EXS
    Fate/Stay Night (and all that...)
    Fate/Extra
    Tsukihime

---

And smut, I think that's the EASY part. Working out the timeline mess is WORSE. I had an attempt before get shelved because of the timeline clusterfuck.

4. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

Incubators are trying to keep the Galaxy Cauldron from going into a massive meltdown and blowing the universe up? That actually makes their methods more ethical. When you need energy NAO, you cannot be picky in your methods. They need the energy to prevent the meltdown.

5. Reverent One

@Smuthunter: The Silver Millenium being Al-Hazard seems like a legit idea. After all, 'Al Hazard' could just be a name given to the dimension that OTHER people gave it, not what they call themselves.

@ReinZero: Strike Witches was actually in the original rendition of Fantastic Phantasm, I suppose I'll throw it in again.
    Regarding Hidan no Aria, been meaning to watch that.
    Currently reading through Fortissimo EXS.
    Fate/stay night/Extra/Tsukihime will most likely be in Act 2, along with Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? and likely Hidan no Aria.

@Robotninja: I rike this idea.

6. ReinZero

I suggest bringing in longer series in earlier.

Hm... No mecha such settings I'd suppose?
    And how about...

Endless Frontier
    Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
    IS Infinite Stratos

... What about NSFW series?

7. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Heat death results from a lack of energy, not too much of it. A more fitting plan might be that Chaos has managed to get inside the Cauldron since a number of decades ago (or whenever Galaxia began her rampage) and since then the Cauldron hasn't been recycling planets and stars at a 1:1 ratio; there's a little less material in every new cycle, which will eventually lead to heat death in a few trillion years or so.

The Incubators have only started producing puella magi since Chaos infested the Cauldron. Since they can't deal with or detect his presence, they're resorting to their own methods to bolster what the Cauldron produces. This would also handily eliminate the need to explain Incubator relations with all the other magical factions on Earth like Academy City and so on; if they've only been doing their thing for a decade or two then it's plausible they would have gone unnoticed by the big movers and shakers.

8. Reverent One

@ReinZero: No mecha? Well I WAS CONSIDERING Al Azif and Daijuuji Kurou (That also includes MASTAH THERIONNN). Hope this also answers your question about NSFW.

Also Horizon and IS were among the things I was also considering. Was trying to find a way to fit them into Act 1 earlier today.

@Smuthunter: That seems like a good explanation regarding the activity of the Incubators though that also goes against the 'Incubators helped develop mankind as it is today' with wishes. Is there anything we could do to help that along?

9. ReinZero

The prequel series, timeline-wise for Horizon, could work for background and be intergrated in as a literal consequence of the Incubators wish granting leading humn progress forth. Then connecting/leading into other such series.

IS is easy to intergrate in that case. Remember, combining things/causes is perfectly valid.

That aside, I'm on my mobile now, so slower responses and such.

Other series then~

Code Geass
    The Sweet Knights series (and spin-offs)
    Kurogane no Linebarrel
    Fafner (including its movies)
    Muv Luv Alternative
    SRW OGs (including up to 2nd)
    The Justice Blade series...
    Eien no Aselia

10. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

I'm rather fond of whatever that series with Ayumu the protagonist and all that key, egg and lock imagery. Ayumu's the kind of awkward MGs that could accidentally get into a fight with the main protagonists before joining up.

And what do you think about Princess Tutu? It's kind of self contained (kind of like Utena), but very clever.

11. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Personally that's a part that I would leave out. Earth has had human life and civilization on it since at least the Silver Millennium, and wishes are a core part of the puella magi system. The only way you get wishes is by making puella magi, but if the Incubators are using humans as livestock then they would probably squish out any other magic systems in order to keep the cattle under their thumbs.

12. ReinZero

Or the Incubators bit off more than they could chew a few time, eventually settling for their MG system, which would allow them to piggy back off the PR and all of other ones. Furthermore, ther system's pick of MG can be said to be less specific than the others too.

13. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Meaning what exactly?

14. ReinZero

1) Not top dog.
    2) Room for a lot of things.
    3) Way to keep their canon intentions/etc. intact still while also meshing with other series.

---

Other series~

Kikouyoku Senki Tenkuu no Yumina
    Seinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2-
    Mondaiji-tachi ga isekai kara kuru soudesu yo
    Owari no Chronicle (the prequel series in sense for Horizon)

15. Reverent One

@Guile: That would be Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?. I've been meaning to download and watch the show. Since it's fairly short (12 episodes for each season), it has a high chance of appearing. And what do I think of Princess Tutu? It's on my backlog. Has been for a while.

@Smuthunter: I'm free to omit stuff in order to 'merge' it with the other canons so yeah, that may be for the best since it allows me to have both Madoka Magica and Sailor Moon in the same -verse without much change.

Oh right, I should dump current information that I have for the MCs.

MCs are both part of a project called the DRAGOON. It's basically 'artificial magic' that's revolutionary for some reason or another (Hasn't been fleshed out much).

Here's the reference!

Blonde would be Koyomi Makise, cold, nonchalant girl while the other would be Chinami Cornwall, a half baka-gajin.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  16. ReinZero

Nah. He's more likely to have lunch with every single villain, chats, and draw the short end of the stick repeatedly.

Also, the anime does not do some things justice (ie.cut out of the anime).

17. Reverent One

It doesn't?

18. Reverent One

DOUBLE POST but I set up a FantasticPhantasm channel on IRC to help flesh out ideas. Come join! The host is Rizon, the channel is #FPWars

19. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Here's a little finished and produced game that's much less ambitious than your idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Heroine_Chronicle

20. Reverent One

Oh yeah, already know about Super Heroine Chronicle. One thing I know about it is that Hibiki starts gathering a harem consisting of Houki, Miku, Laura and Rin.