1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

General CYOA Thread

Discussion in 'CW Index' started by Nightgazer, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightgazer

Nightgazer Cute Lil' Pegasus Gone for Good

Figured the SFW section could use one since the NSFW section has one.

This is a thread to post/discuss/storm-on-ideas CYOAs. Either yours or someone else's. Since it was my idea to create this thread I'll go first.

---

http://nightgazer.altervista.org/Nightgazer's_Worm_CYOA/Nightgazer's_Worm_CYOA.htm

This is a couple of Worm CYOAs. A curbstomp one that is unbalanced and made entirely for fun. And a normal version that is more balanced intended for serious gaming.

Ddmkm122, user71s2 and AngelicKnight. like this.
  2. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

Probably should go in the SFW creative writing subforum, rather than questing.
    What staff member rank can deal with that sort of issue?

3. duburu

duburu I trust you know where the happy button is?

Look its me duburu!

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Nightgazer

Ddmkm122 and AngelicKnight. like this.
  5. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

I think this really belongs in CRW, not Questing and Roleplay.
    Megaolix, uh...sorry to bother you, but do you have the power to move threads?

6. Nightgazer

7. DartzIRL

DartzIRL Making the rounds.

I really dislike CYOA's.

They're not really a story, they're an excuse to break a story by being as 'awesome' as possible and breaking it to it's abolute limits, either by min-maxing it to hell or just rollling up.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Nightgazer

Here.

http://nightgazer.altervista.org/Nightgazer's_Worm_CYOA/Nightgazer's_Curbstomp_Version_Worm_CYOA.htm

---

You now get the Immortality Special Advantage when you choose the Soulless Disadvantage whether you are Badass Normal or not.

Removed restriction against The Galifreyan Advantage in Darker Choices. Selecting one of Darker Choices no longer automatically gives you the Soulless Disadvantage or the Immortality Special Advantage.

Adjusted a few descriptions in different things.

Changed update date at bottom of page.

---

9. Nightgazer

10. Visual Pun

Visual Pun Reawakening Revenant (i.e. 'Venant'?)

Just a question which I suppose relates to CYOA's in general, but wht the >expletive< does ROB stand for?

Reality Organizing Being?

Ddmkm122 and duburu like this.
  11. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Random Omnipotent Being.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Visual Pun

Visual Pun Reawakening Revenant (i.e. 'Venant'?)

Ok, so all those times CYOA characters are complaining about ROB's I can justify that they're bitching about the Alchoholics Anonymous Doorknob and be 100% accurate...

Nice.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Had a twisted idea... I dislike Worm on the whole. The Villain Sue protagonist... the raging grimderp that would make Games Workship go "Get some valium, man"... but I do think it would be fun to fuck with...

So what would you guys think of someone dropped in... with Saitama's power set?

Ddmkm122, Neuromancer and duburu like this.
  14. Nightgazer

15. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Consider adding "Saitama" to worldbreaking.

And just to give some perspective on how breaking it would be...

Worm canon... only One Punch

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Ddmkm122, Neuromancer and dasstan like this.
  16. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Oh come on, do you have to bring up that filth? You should know Wildbow says stuff to troll people sometimes, but hey if we go with that we'd also have to go with Saitama never even shows 0.00000000000000000000000001% of their full power even when doing things like super serious strikes because that's the kind of scaling up from what they've shown needed to actually kill an endbringer based off the values given in story and confirmed by Wildbow as correct in comments that were way less trolly.

Ddmkm122, Enohthree and Prince Charon like this.
  17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm pretty sure that there was one that gave Taylor Saitama's powers (she was a hero, there). Pretty sure she was upset about losing her hair.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

I've read it. Was meh.

Basically I'm thinking SI that involves punching.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. Nightgazer

20. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  21. Nightgazer

Who or what is a Santama anyway?

Ummm...

Could you give me a link please?

22. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Basically it's the brick package as a low S tier, strength and durability with a bunch of speed thrown on to round things out. It's not close to a Worldbreaker power as Superman has strength, speed, and durability that massively dwarf Saitama along with a ton of other abilities but it's also well above Alexandria for strength, speed, and durability so it's kinda in the middle somewhere. Too strong for a Greater power but too weak for a Worldbreaker power. From One-Punch Man, no idea where it's best to read so just linking the wiki page.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

He's basically a fast brick who's stated ability is he has functionally infinite power and can kill anything with one punch. Biggest displayed feat so far was splitting a world killing energy beam in half with a punch

http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Saitama

Ignore this shit.

It's literally Worm canon that Saitama could kill an Endbringer with a single punch.

According to Wildbow himself...

This subreddit is about feats, not implied power. However, in both cases here, you're dealing with implied power - the Endbringers don't really demonstrate their full power, so we don't get to see such. We also don't know Saitama's upper reaches of power.

So let me help settle this one by speaking definitively on the former. Word of God from the author of Worm (me) - Behemoth would die in one shot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/whowouldwin/comments/3ypzqb/saitama_vs_behemoth_worm/

So. Like I said, Worldbreaker.

Ddmkm122 and Prince Charon like this.
  24. backgroundnoise

backgroundnoise "What the fuck penis?! I trusted you!"

Then why are you even here?

The one and only time Saitama ever claimed to be even remotely serious he stopped a blast that would have destroyed the entire world in one shot and killed one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy. And even then, he still wasn't using his full power, just some of it. How much is up for debate.

*Also I disagree with the idea of Saitama being 'invincible,' at one point he actually wonders if he is going to die because he can't take anything seriously.*

Ddmkm122, Dvm999 and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

It's also DC canon that Superman can easily fly between universes and has punches that shatter planets, Saitama has nothing on Silver Age Superman. Maximum Silver Age Superman would find Saitama a threat, but they've got plot armour so thick it makes OPM look like it was written by G.R.R. Martin, and for the sake of the story nobody is ignored as a threat.

As well Worm canon != OPM canon, although that's questionably canon at best, or should we count every piece of fanfic as canon now just because it's canon to that fanfic that OPM can do that? Plus see the thing above, either it directly conflicts with previous WoG confirmed in story evidence of their durability as to how durable endbringers are or Saitama has put less proportional effort into the entirety of everything that happened in OPM then I do into a single blink, which as they've apparently actually tried before would contradict that.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  26. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

I provided Wildbow's stance. If you disagree, you have the reddit post. Bitch there. But WOG says you're wrong.

This isn't a vs forum.

Go. Away.

27. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

So totally ignoring everything I said even when it was totally unrelated to the quote? I said that they weren't Worldbreaker tier because Silver Age Superman+ is already a Worldbreaker tier power and is better in every way, quoting Wildbow is irrelevant to that.

As an aside here is Wildbow explaining things in more depth, notably that Saitama wins because it's part of their narrative, Saitama faces any foe and overcomes it, that's true and that's the primary thing it's based off. They also mention that Saitama is seemingly comparable to the top tier non-Scion capes in Worm so that might be enough to kill them even without that (which does totally contradict past WoG) but that within Worm that'd never happen because the endbringers would just take them out before hand or simply have been more powerful in the first place so it wasn't enough even if it is enough. It's not just Saitama is strong, it's that Saitama's plot armour means they couldn't lose and that maybe they're strong enough yeah if you just go off what they say there and not any of their other statements.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  28. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

I'm ignoring everything you're saying because its complete and utter nonsense.

The fuck. Serious. What. The Fuck. Wildbow says something, you say the exact opposite using his statement as evidence.

He's right about Saitama here though. Saitama's entire point is the fact he's functionally invincible. Those "comparisons to high level capes were attempts to define the differences in the narrative nature.

In general, this is the point....

And that's you about 50 miles over there with your head in the sand.

And thanks for proving my point BTW with that link.

Ddmkm122, Dvm999 and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

What? That Saitama who can probably punch so hard he can kill a planet or jump to earth from the moon is weaker than someone whose sneezes destroy solar systems or who can fly with speeds beyond infinity. There would be objectively no point to choose Saitama except to limit yourself, as SA Superman is massively more versatile and is stronger even for the few powers they do share.

But hey, I'm sure the guy who can't even catch a mosquito is more powerful than the person who flew so fast they broke spacetime. Or is using the mosquito thing as a feat bad because it suggests that it's possible to get around Saitama's narrative?

And the point that Endbringers are weak enough to be subject to the plot? Everything is subject to the plot. or that Wildbow flip flops on their durability (There's WoG for both needing galaxy tier stuff or planet tier stuff or even higher or lower if you look further) All it does is at most nerf the endbringers to a level where Saitama can defeat them, because Wildbow can't define how strong Saitama is due to not being their author.

But meh, I'll just stop if stuff like solar systems being bigger than planets is being treated as nonsensical. Although I hadn't mentioned that specifically before so maybe there's just a bunch of Saitama's feats I never knew about that put them above SA Superman?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. Nightgazer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.