1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gnawing Worm

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by RainRozae, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Threadmarks: 1.1
    RainRozae

RainRozae Getting out there.

AN: So I'm really doing this huh? Welcome to my first fanfic, Gnawing Worm is a plot bunny that's been cumulating over the last couple of weeks and I've only recently gained the confidence to put it an online, huge shout out Pangolin for being the first to do a worm Tokyo ghoul story it was a massive inspiration for this.

Now quick heads up I haven't finished Worm and have only just gotten to the slaughterhouse nine bit but I don't think that matters considering that most fics get dropped before leviathan or canon gets shot out the window which is what I'm planning with this.

This is my first thread on Spacebattles so feedback and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated.
    Comments tell me you guys like this and give me the strength to continue.
    Still need a Beta to throw ideas around with so if anyone wants to offer swing me a PM

Disclaimer: Worm and Parahumans belong to Wildbow.

Warning: This chapter involves a scene of attempted rape.

Gnawing Worm

April 8th, 2011

"Are you sure you don't want any Tilly?", Charlotte asked while waving a sandwich in Infront of me. I was hungry she knew it I knew it; I could feel the gnawing stomach pain in my stomach rising, but I wouldn't take food from her that wasn't who I wanted to be, I wouldn't just be another beggar in Brockton Bay otherwise what was the point of everything until now.

"Charlotte, I already told you, I'm fine. Besides I have my lunch with me I'm just saving it for later you know I have my part-time job", I answered back enduring the pangs of pain of an empty stomach.

"I know but…Tilly look at you when was the last time you ate? I didn't say anything yesterday but you're clearly in pain, you need to eat", she said in clear distress, I felt guilty. It wasn't the first time we had a conversation like this, she knew my circumstances we just had an agreement not to bring them up.

"Alright fine, I'll eat but I'm not having your lunch I'll just take half now and the other at work", reaching into my bag I took out a sandwich and water, it wasn't much but it was all I could afford and it'd suffice for now payday was at the end of the week.

"Thank you, I know you don't like to talk about it but is your Da-"

"It's Fine!", I snapped at her causing her to flinch, taking a deep breath I continued," I'm Sorry, I ju-Look I'm fine, okay? Just a bit stressed out I'll try to eat more as you said."

"Alright, okay I just worry about you sometimes you know?"

"I know Char, thanks", I said giving her a small smile.

I hated when I snapped at Charlotte like that, God knew I needed her more than she needed me she was my rock, truly she was too good to be in a place like this. Brockton Bay was the city where hopes and dreams came to die and Winslow high was a miniature model of it. A hive of scum and corruption, infested with junior gang members and bullies, just looking at the cliques told me who was with who, the gangs nearly ran the place and the staff could do nothing about it. However, even though this school was a cesspit evil I could work with it, it was better than being at home at least. I had Charlotte and as long as I kept my head down and faded in with the crowd, I would be fine, not like I could get into anywhere else didn't have the money for Arcadia or any of those other ricer schools.

Plus, it could always be worst you could always be Taylor, as I noticed said girl rushing through the cafeteria with what I could only hope to be juice all over her. I would say I felt bad for her but I didn't she wasn't the only one having problems plus she keeps the heat off the rest of us so I'd ignore it. I didn't have anything against the girl and we worked well together in the classes we shared but that was it, what happed in January was fucked but I wasn't going to involve myself and become a target when I had my own issues to deal with.

After Lunch afternoon classes went pretty quickly. I didn't pay much attention, the pangs of hunger distracting me throughout the class just because I was used to it didn't mean I wasn't suffering. English, Geography then home or at least it would've been had I not had work after school. I usually walked home with Charlotte seeing that it was safer than walking alone but today was my baby-sitting job so she walked me to the bus stop instead before going our separate ways.

It was late by the time I reached my home street; the sun was already setting and I felt exhausted from taking care of the kids, I wasn't all that good with children but I needed the money so I put up with it, every penny counted.

The apartment complex was just as you'd expect to find from a building out in the docks, shabby and badly maintained with gang logos spray-painted on the side. I walked past the elevator knowing that the thing hadn't been working ever since we moved in here and dragged my tired feet up, I lived on the 5th floor so walking up the stairs was never optimal but didn't have a choice.

"I'm back", I muttered aloud more to myself than anyone else. stepping into our small apartment I was immediately greeted by the stench of beer and body odor permeating the air my nose crinkling in disgust.

The Livingroom was dark and smelled like something had died with the glare of the television as the only light source

'Dad' lay sprawled out across the couch, either unconscious or asleep I could never really tell, beer bottles were scattered across the room. looking at the scene I could feel the familiar pangs of guilt building up again.

We ruined him.

Letting out a sigh I quietly made my way to the kitchen so as to not wake him up. Taking out a bag and slipping a pair of gloves on I proceeded to clean up the mess that was our living room before dumping it all outside, I did this whenever I found him passed out when I came back, he'd be less difficult when he woke-up.

Charles Wilson had not always been this hollow husk of a man, he used to be a goodman a long time ago. 'Content' was what I used to best describe his former self, he was he wasn't the richest man but he wasn't poor either he was satisfied with what he earned at his jobs, he wasn't famous but he had a decent number of friends I had met when I was younger, he wasn't overly ambitious but he was driven it was what mom told me she liked the most about him the normalcy. Above all he had recently fallen in love my mom was the apple of his eye. So yes, for all intents and purposes Charles Wilson was a happy man, he had made the best out of a bad situation that was living in Brockton Bay. That all soon came crashing down

For all that he was content, Charles was an Insecure man especially so when it came to my mom. How was he supposed to feel when the woman he loved didn't love him the same way he loved her when the woman he loved still had feelings for her ex. Mom talked about my birth dad a lot it was the main reason she and Charles got into fights.

I think what finally hit the nail in the coffin was when Charles found out who my birth father was, it only got worse from there. It was one of my earliest memories,

I remember waking up from the sounds of Mom and Charles arguing, it was different this time because mom was crying, I'd rarely ever seen my mom cry she was strong like that, I remember how worried I was rushing down the stairs to see what was going on.

"You had children with a Villain Diana! MARQUIS!"

"Why does that matter so much Charles she's still your daughter, you raised her!"

"A criminal's daughter Diana, you made me raise a criminal's daughter! And what's more, you don't even know where the other devil spawn is!"

A sudden sharp slap resounded through the room, clutching my teddy tighter I hid behind the door not wanting to be seen.

"Don't you dare bring my daughters into this Charles! Hate me all you want but, they haven't done anything wrong

I'd never seen them both so angry before that. Things only continued to spiral downwards from there, Mom could never find Amelia and soon fell into depression, Charles apologized but things were never the same. They began arguing a lot more sometimes mom would compare him to my birth dad but that would just make him even angrier leading to him hitting her then after calming down he'd come back crying begging for her forgiveness. Sometimes I wondered why she never did anything back why she forgave him.

"It's alright like this I've already hurt him so much, rather than continuing to hurt him any more than I have I'd rather be the person that gets hurt, If he can be satisfied with just this much then it's fine".

The Lavere Family had ruined Charles's life.

Mom eventually died from stress, till the very end she never asked for help and just silently took it all.

Things only got worse after that, Charles needed Mom and without her, he eventually fell apart. He stopped going to work and spent his days drinking himself into unconsciousness, his friends stopped coming over, and eventually, we got evicted from our house, which was why we ended up in the docks. He became incapable of taking care of himself and it was our fault. We ruined him.

In the end, I wasn't even his child just the baggage left behind after the woman he loved died; A reminder of everything he couldn't compare to. Sometimes when he got drunk he'd mistake me for Mom whilst crying and apologizing; other times he got violent and beat me whilst screaming my birth father's cape name. Of course, once he sobered up he'd apologize and promise never to do it again but those promises were always broken. It didn't matter I was used to it. I sometimes wondered why he put up with me even though it was clear he couldn't stand me being around but I always pushed those thoughts back down, it didn't matter we lived in Brockton Bay a frail girl like me wouldn't be able to survive on the streets.

After I finished cleaning out the living room I felt my stomach growling in hunger again but I ignored it, I'd already eaten today and rent was due soon and I didn't have the funds to be wasting on food when I could very well end up on the streets. I'd go to bed hungry tonight as well. I grabbed a cup of water to try to drown out the hunger and went to my room.

One desk, a cupboard, and a single bed were what consisted of my room. Some would say it was bland I called it simple, the only real decoration I had was an old picture of me, amelia, dad, and mom that I kept on my desk. It was the only picture we had left of all of us together.

Sitting at my desk I reached into my bag for Mr. Gladly's homework assignment. 'how capes have impacted the world you'. To be honest, I didn't care much for capes, sure thought it'd be cool to have powers of my own but in all honesty, I thought they were more trouble than they were worth, just look what's happened in this very city.

Brockton bay was home to a Dragon and fucking Neo Nazis, the Merchants weren't much better with their drugged-up mooks terrorizing people because they had nothing else better to do with their lives and the 'Heroes' were incompetent. The PRT and Protectorate couldn't keep their villains in check with their jails being more like revolving doors than actual prison cells and worst of all fucking New Wave which ruined my life and stole my sister.

World's best cure, Panacea, my big sister who fucking forgot all about me. Out of all the capes in the Bay I hate Panacea the most, why does she get to live a comfy life as a fucking superhero loved by everyone while I get beat into unconsciousness every night, what does she have that I don't? We're supposed to be sisters yet she's gone and replaced me with some collateral damage bimbo. Fuking trai-

Snap

Deep breath Matilda everything will be alright
    , I thought to my self dropping the remains of my pen on the desk, only to realize that my assignment was wet with tears. A sigh escaped my mouth, today hasn't been my day, digging out my phone from my pocket I checked the time. Ten-forty-seven. It was late, I'd have a bath then go to bed, today had been horrible and I couldn't wait for it to end. Getting up I grabbed a towel before leaving for the bathroom.

I look like a mess I thought after looking at myself in the mirror, it was still the same old face covered with too many freckles, long frizzy dark brown hair, and auburn eyes with bags under them, I was skinny as a twig with my ribs cage visible and I still had bruises from last week beating across my skin. I was never one for body image but I could tell I look disgusting, people at school would probably think I was homeless if I didn't wear baggy clothes to hide it.

Entering the bath I felt my muscles relax as if all the stress would just wash away, a bath was just what I needed. It was times like this that put everything into perspective, no matter how shitty I felt my life was things could always be worse it was Brockton Bay after all. Tonight I'd go to bed forget about all the negativity and tomorrow I'd wake up ready for a new day, it was payday as well so that was good I could finally get something to eat.

Getting out of the shower towel wrapped around me, the first thing I noticed was that dad wasn't on the couch anymore. Weird, I thought to myself he didn't normally move from the spot but it was a good sign if he was up and walking again, progress.

"Night Dad!" I called out to him but received no reply in return, that was fine he was probably sleeping already. I slipped into an extra-large top and snuggled up into bed, my last thoughts on food before sleep took me

My eyes snapped open at the feeling of something heavy on top of me, I struggled to move but my arms were held in place, the smell of the familiar drink close to my face. my mind racing a million miles a minute trying to understand what was going on, I could hear him muttering Mum's name under his breath.

"DAD, STOP"

[DESTINATION]

I screamed at him to stop, struggled, and flailed but to no avail, he wasn't in the right state of mind I could see the madness in his eyes. My movements only got more and more frantic as I felt his free hand caressing my body trying to remove my top.

"Get off! Get off! Get off!"

[AGREEMENT]

I felt sick to my stomach, No. No no-no-no. Please, no. I began to struggle with intense vigor, to try and make as much noise as possible. I weathered it all, I took the insults, I took the beating, I took the neglect just like mom, but not this, please, never this.

"Please stop…"

[TRAJECTORY]

I begged as tears threatened to spill out the corner of my eyes as my hoarse screams were reduced to whimpers. I squeezed my eyes shut as I heard th sound of what I knew to be my clothes ripping. I was too weak to physically overpower him but I needed to get him off, I needed to escape.

[AGREEMENT]

I could feel his hands grabbing at my pants, I was desperate I didn't want this I needed to survive. His face was close to my ear I could hear him muttering my mom's name into my ear, I felt my stomach rumbled, I stretched out my head and bit down on his neck, my world disappeared.

I woke up to the lingering taste of something sweet in my mouth, it had a honey-like texture but it wasn't as sweet and it was warm too. I took a moment to savor it, I was hungry and I'd barely eaten anything all day. My thoughts suddenly ground to a stop, what was I eating? I didn't remember eating anything before bed nor there being anything in the house to eat in the first place, however, I could still smell the lingering aroma of whatever I had just eaten in the air.

Picking myself up from my bed I was greeted to what could have only been a reenactment of a scene from a slasher film.

"Kyaaaaaaa!"

blood was painted across the walls of my room, laying in the center was what could only have been a half-eaten corpse. Bile rose my throat as I stumbled onto the floor falling into a pool of blood. My head ached as what had just transpired rushed to the forefront of my mind.

I had nearly been raped/I had killed someone, two conflicting thoughts; none making me feel any cleaner.

Looking at the corpse of the man I used to call a farther I shivered, I hadn't known he was so far gone, that he'd try to…I felt the bile rising up my throat again, I pushed it down and looked away.

I had killed someone, no, I had eaten my dad alive, he may not have been a good man but he was still my dad, he raised me. Had I been so hungry that I'd lost it and eaten my dad in self-defense? I felt sick.

Okay Matilda, options, if my screaming was any indication the neighbors should have probably called the police by now, and depending on how long I was out of it that could be any minute now. Do I stay here and turn myself in? On one hand, I had acted in self-defense, I was the victim here on the other I had eaten a man alive and in all likely hood even if it was decided I was innocent they'd probably lock me up in some psych ward just in case or wost, so no I wasn't going to be turning myself in so that meant I had to leave.

Rushing to my closet I threw a hoodie and jeans on before backtracking into the bathroom, I needed to clean the blood off. I was horrified by what I saw in the mirror, it was still the same old face covered with too many freckles and long frizzy dark brown hair but rather than two auburn eyes staring at me in the mirror instead the iris of my right eye had turned red and the sclera had become a pitch black with red veins coming across the eye and into the skin around the eye, my mouth covered in the blood of my deceased father.

I didn't have time to think about what this meant, for now, I needed to get out of here. on my way out of the building, I made sure my hoodie was up before exiting. I could hear the sirens In the distance, didn't have much time left. I ran down the steps of the apartment complex before heading deeper into the docks, I was tired, confused, devastated, and overall still hungry but I kept repeating one thing in my mind.

It could always be worse Matilda.

---

Now I'm not all that happy with this, to be honest, and I'll probably go back and edit this at some point in the future but here it is, for now, knowing me if I didn't post it now I'd never end up doing it.

So not a Taylor alt-power I'm taking this in a new direction with an OC. The idea of a ghoul power being made from a bud of Marquis/Amelia biological shards and the right circumstances was too good not to pass up so here's that.

The next chapter should be up sometime time next week, but don't hold me to that.

thewhiteraven22, Zcuron, Ack and 4 others like this.
  2. Onion Ninja

Onion Ninja yes

I'm pretty sure Vexin is doing a quest that's also Worm/Tokyo Ghoul right this moment. That's dope.

3. OriginTrainer

OriginTrainer Catching them all is hard work, right?

Well, here are the parameters we know of right now;

Shard: (SHAPER) Biological Manipulation in one way or another.

Needs as of Crisis Point: Escape, Survive, Hunger

*Looks at both*

Well... Shit. Anyone heard of Re:Monster?

Haven't watched much of Tokyo Ghoul to be honest, but her trigger is on point I guess; if it actually follows the normal method her 'ghoul power' would probably be quite interesting.

4. Threadmarks: 1.2
    RainRozae

AN: Here's the 2nd Chapter thanks for all the support so far. Keep the comments flowing and if you have any questions i'll try my best to answer them.
    Still looking for a beta so if your intrested PM me,
    If your intrested you can also find Gnawing Worm on SB and SV
    Without any further ado Chapter 2.

What makes someone Human? It's a question that has been pondered for thousands of years.

Is it simply a biological thing? Because you were born in the shape of a human are you therefore Human? Is it simply up to the heritage you descend from, the species that just happens to give birth to you? Would that mean that apes are 'more Human' simply because they share the closest DNA to Humans? Then what about Case 53s the so-called monstrous capes that don't look human are they 'less human' because they've mutated into something else?

Or is it a psychological thing then? Because you think like X, Y, and Z you are therefore human. Is it a case of identity? where if you declare yourself to be human that automatically makes you human? Or is it their honesty? maybe their integrity? Courage? self-awareness? empathy? Perhaps it simply comes down to our Morals. What about the Villains then does that suddenly make them 'less human' because they have fewer morals, do you have to reach a certain point of villainy to lose that which makes you human– such as when you stop feeling remorse or guilt for your actions? When you simply stop caring about others. What about those who are simply in bad situations through no choice of their own?

Would that then mean being human comes down to how life treats you, simply a gamble of luck? What about Parahumans as a whole then? those who have struggled and came out on top, are they 'less human' because most turn to a life of villainy? Is there anything that can be done to change how human you are, or is it pre-destined from the moment you're born?

What does that make me then?

The night air was cold as it bristled against my skin, next to me was a bag with food I had just gotten from the convenience store. Sitting up against a wall in an empty alleyway I stared at the sandwich in my hand with unadulterated trepidation. The sandwich smelt horrid enough to make my stomach churn in disgust. I didn't know why I felt like that though, it didn't make the sandwich wasn't expired since I had just brought and it wasn't some weird flavour it was a simple Club.

Tears pricked at corners of my eyes as I tried to stuff a sandwich down my throat a sudden feeling of unbearable nausea overcoming my senses, the bread tasted like sandpaper, the lettuce like grass, the mayonnaise was like glue, the tomato rotten and the meat tasted like expired fish. I gagged as the contents of my stomach emptied out onto the floor.

Quickly reaching into my bag I brought out a bottle of juice to try and wash the horrid taste out of my mouth but what should have been normal apple juice instead tasted like sewage water pouring into my system I vomited that up as well.

Why? I felt so hungry yet everything tasted so foul. This time I tried to eat a piece of chicken only to find that it tasted like an old rubber boot. instant noodles that tasted like worms sliding down my throat and even chocolate tasted like dirt, as with everything else I threw it all up.

It was only a small blessing that I could still drink water, as I used it to rinse out the putrid taste in my mouth. I felt horrid, weak, and felt even hungrier than before, Somethings was wrong with me.

Ever since I woke up with the half-eaten corpse of my dad, I had acquired a taste for the scent of people making my mouth water and stomach rumble whenever I walked past them, and now I find out I can't even eat normal food anymore.

Most people knew that people got powers on what was normally the worst day of their life, I always thought of it as a sort of consolation prize for not breaking down under the weight of it all, sure said powers rarely did anything to make the situation better but in the end, you still got powers.

When asked what kind of power would you wish to have most people usually think of something flashy like those of the Triumvirate, to be strong and be able to fly like Alexandria or maybe being able to shoot lasers like Legend, and basically everyone wished to be a trump like Eidolon. Even if their power wasn't as amazing it was at least useful.

Then there's me. I survive the worst day of my life and only come out of it with enhanced senses and what I could only assume, seeing as I ate my dad, a penchant for human flesh and absolutely nothing else.

A sigh escaped me as I got off the floor dusting myself off, pulling my hood backup I made for the exit of the alley, it wasn't safe hanging out in alleyways doubly so at night and I needed to keep moving. Police were already arriving by the time I had left the apartment; the odds were high that they were likely searching for me which meant I needed to get further away from the docks and find somewhere to stay for the night.

The boardwalk was one of the nicer areas of the Bay and only looked better under the illumination of the night lights. The shops here were expensive, some places sold clothes for prices I couldn't even begin to understand and the restaurants charged way too much for the insignificant portions of food they served. There were stretches of wooden walkways lighted up by the lights and beaches which provided a great view of the ocean. you could even see the Protectorate HQ or as it was sometimes called the oil rig out in the water. This was where the heroes usually held their meet and greet or where the PRT would make announcements.

I could feel the piercing gazes following me as I walked down the boardwalk, the whispers of waning clear to my newly enhanced senses. I didn't blame them I must've looked completely rabid with how dishevelled I looked like a junkie who couldn't get their fix. It was a wonder why the enforcers weren't moving to throw me out

It was true in a way I certainly felt like a junkie, I could smell them; a mixture of scents that made my mouth water it was like an all you could eat buffet, so many different scents so many different flavours that clouded my senses, made my stomach rumble in eagerness, I grit my teeth only holding myself back by with my will power and the knowledge that if I were to suddenly go on a rampage the heroes would arrive in force, the Protectorate HQ was right there after all.

It was a tricky thing, a conundrum. I was torturing myself; I didn't trust myself to be around others yet I couldn't stay away, I didn't want to eat people yet I couldn't help but want to, I was stuck in between a rock and a hard place and with no way out. My thoughts strayed as I thought about where I would go next? I needed to find a place to stay for the night a palace where I hopefully wasn't kidnaped and sold as a sex slave or drugged up by some merchant, however, I was interrupted as I noticed something in my peripheral, it was my heart sunk as I realized what this meant.

"…Found desecrated in his apartment, with the primary suspect being his daughter Matilda Wilson a suspected parahuman who the PRT has given the provisional designation Carnage. We've been told that Carnage is to be considered a dangerous villain and is assumed to have cannibalistic tendencies, should you encounter this villain it would be in your best interest to immediately vacate the area and call the PRT once you've assured of your safety. We'll bring you further infor…"

"Carnage"
    , I whispered trying to get a feel for the name, I didn't like it. I let out a hollow laugh that turned a few heads at the ridiculousness of it all, just yesterday I had been a relatively normal girl just trying my best to go about my life now I'm considered a dangerous super villain wanted for cannibalism on the front lines of the news. I wasn't safe here too many people around and way too close to the Protectorate base my face was all over the news as well, it was only a matter of time before I got caught. I needed to get out.

I squeezed my eyes shut and ran letting my legs take me, it didn't matter as long as I escaped, I pushed people out of the way trying to get to safety as the question in my head thundered, why? Why was this happening to me? It was just one problem after another, everything I tried to eat tasted foul and when I tried to force it down, I grew weak and vomited it all back out. I've become a cannibal and can only eat Human yet I don't want to eat humans so I'm forced to torture myself with their scent, I have no home and my face is all over the news as the latest villain in Brockton Bay.

I couldn't help but think of what Charlotte would think of me now? It was on the news so she must know by now, would she be disgusted by me? Flee on sight just like they suggested people do or maybe she'd ask me to turn myself in? I didn't know I wasn't sure if it even mattered anymore.

What about Amelia? From the pictures I've seen of her online, we looked relatively similar if only a bit younger on my end; would she recognize me? would she even care? After all, I was just another 'villain' now someone she had to put away.

When I finally stopped running my heart threatening to burst out my chest I was met with a mortifying sight. I was standing over a young man lying in a pool of blood. It was sad, no clear signs that indicated he was in a gang, probably just some unlucky guy who got stabbed whilst on his way home left here to bleed out. Just another dead body. Just like dad. A corpse. It was a juxtaposition a beautiful yet horrifying sight, I felt revolted looking just looking at the corpse of the man yet I couldn't help my mouth from watering just thinking about the tantalizing taste of his flesh.

What was wrong with me? Was I so hungry that even when not paying attention, trying to run to safety, I ran towards the nearest source of food? But it was then that everything clicked into perspective. This would be my life now forced feast on human flesh because of dysfunctional powers, forced to run from the heroes because I was some cannibalistic villain, forced to live every day of my life struggling to survive. My knees buckled over as I fell to the floor crying.

I would eat this man, his family would never find the body, he'd just be gone never to be seen again, probably declared missing; just another victim in the cesspit that was Brockton Bay. My stomach growled in delight at the thought. So Hungry. Like the whispers of the devil in my ear.

'It smells good, doesn't it? Just take a bite'

EAT

'he's already dead so what does it matter if you eat him?'

FOOD

'You want to live, don't you? Then you need to eat'

What was worse is that the voices were right, this was my life now, if I wanted to live, I needed to eat, I knew that if I didn't, I'd slip up and hurt someone. Did it make it better if they were already dead? I wasn't sure but just because I was a monster didn't mean I had to act like one, I wouldn't kill I'd only eat from the corpses I could find, if only to make myself feel better I'd be humane about it.

It was a bitter-sweet thing, tears stained my cheeks as I bit into the corpse. I started with an arm, a wonderful feeling coursing from my mouth to the rest of my body, better than anything I'd ever had. I went on to the next arm, then a leg, then the head, before knew it there was nothing left.

I felt sick with myself, I had eaten a man, yet I finally felt satisfied the hunger finally subsiding. However, with my problems with food done new ones arose where do I go from here? It was ironic considering I'd yet again ended up sitting up against a wall in an empty alleyway lost and unsure what to do. I have no home to return to and I'm a wanted villain, sure I've solved the food problem but what do I do next.

Do I join a gang? I was a parahuman now and thinking back to the speeds I was moving at when running from the boardwalk maybe my powers weren't as useless as they first seemed, but that brings up the question which gang? I wasn't a Nazi so the empire was out, I wasn't Asian so I doubted the ABB would take me, I'm doing everything in my power to avoid becoming some drugged-up street whore so the merchants were out too. Where there any other groups in the city? Would they even want me? I'm a cannibal after all.

I was brought out of my musings by the sound of a door opening, my body went rigid, thoughts accelerating a million miles an hour, do I run? Hide? Fight? I didn't have much time to think as I soon noticed a woman step out of one of the back-alley doors. She looked to be around middle age maybe late 30s, she had brown hair and wore a uniform. She looked around the alley a bit before spotting me sitting on the floor.

She gave me a curious look her eyebrows raised as she questioned, "What's a young girl like you doing squatting out here? Don't you know it's dangerous?"

"I…", I opened my mouth to reply but words never came out. It suddenly felt like it'd been ages since I'd talked with anyone. What do I even say? I'm a wanted criminal hiding from the authorities?

She gave me a look as if appraising me and I shifted uncomfortably in my spot, "I see a stray, huh? Well, if you don't have anywhere to stay for the night, you can come with me. A girl like you shouldn't be out on the streets especially with those no-good ABB running about these parts".

I was stunned, what was wrong with this woman? You didn't just pick people off the street and invite them into your home especially in a city like Brockton Bay. I was about to object but she cut me off. "Stop. I won't take no for an answer", she began walking back into her house before turning back to me and asking.

"Are you coming?"

We were at the back of a coffee shop, my body tense as I sat at a table. The woman; Kate, she had introduced herself as, placed a hot cup of coffee in front of me. I looked at it with fear and apprehension, it didn't smell bad and looked just like normal coffee but I still wasn't sure.

"I promise it's not poisoned, come on drink up", Kate encouraged.

I slowly raised the cup up to my mouth and took a sip. It was good, no, it was normal yet tears rolled down my face gulped it down in pure bliss.

"Woah there, no need to cry it's just some coffee, did you like it that much?"

She didn't understand but it was fine it was the small things that counted. Even just being able to drink coffee like this gave me hope, made me feel that it wasn't all bad. So, I smiled at her and nodded, and it was true I did like the coffee it was better than the cheap ones I used to have from shops.

She gave me one in return, "Want me to pour you another, Hun?"

We sat across the table from each other the tv playing in the background, a comfortable silence settled over us. Kate had a smile on her face as she watched me drinking coffee. It was a nice feeling, the atmosphere peaceful and I didn't think anything could ruin it.

"Witnesses say that the suspect tentatively labelled Carnage was last seen escaping from the boardwalk at high speed, the PRT is currently on the lookout."

my blood turned cold, my face was on the TV again, I turned my head back to Kate she was looking at the TV as well yet she didn't say anything. I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. The silence stretched as my thoughts raced, would she call the police on me?

"Um... Are you not...", My voice trailed off unsure of what to say in a situation like this?

She looked me dead in the eye and asked, "Are you going to eat me?".

I immediately shook my head, no. She had been extremely kind to me, a stranger who has now been revealed to be a villain plus I had already eaten and the coffee was good.

"Then I see no problem", I was stumped and once again I questioned whether or not there was something wrong with this woman. She snorted, "don't give me that look. It's simple really, I don't see a dangerous villain, all I see is a girl in a bad situation who needed help so I gave a helping hand".

I noticed she had a far-off look when she spoke. But it was honestly shocking to hear her say that. Had I become so jaded that I'd forgotten that people could be genuinely kind, it had only been a few hours but the stress of it all had made me feel like I'd been on the run for ages. At that moment Kate reminded me of Charlotte, another who would've helped others for the sake of helping. How I missed her so.

"Thank you…", I cried softly.

After finishing the coffee, we cleaned up together. At Kate's suggestion, I stepped into the shower while she prepared a place for me to sleep. I watched the blood and grime wash away along with my worries as I finally let myself feel at ease.

When I came out of the shower, she showed me to the room I'd be staying in, I tried to protest told her I could sleep on the couch but she wouldn't have it, told me it was a spare room anyway, and practically shoved me inside.

The room looked nice; she had called it a spare room but it looked decorated; lived in. I remember the far-off look she had earlier, a daughter perhaps? I didn't know enough and it wasn't polite to start digging through Kate's things. Instead, I decided it was best just to sleep, I'd been so tired and stressed these last few hours, and the bed looked inviting. the moment my head touched the pillow I felt myself drifting away.

Maybe things weren't so bad after all.

5. Threadmarks: Prologue
    RainRozae

February 12th, 1999

The soon-to-be-former couple stood facing each other. It had been a long time coming, it wasn't as though they hated each other, or one of them had an affair, no nothing like that, in fact, their love for one another still burned just as bright now as it had before.

The Woman's eyes were red as she watched her children play together, Amelia and Matilda, her babies. She knew the problem was on her, she was the reason why her little girls would have to be separated.

She knew the dangers of marrying a man like him and at the time it didn't matter. She welcomed the danger just as much as she welcomed his love, she got off to it. Now looking at her two little girls she realized things were different, that she may have made a mistake, no, not a mistake because that would mean regret. She didn't regret having her girls nor did she regret meeting him so perhaps this was inevitable.

It hurt her, hurt like she never hurt before that everything had to end up like this. That she was forced to choose, forced to leave her sweet Amelia. How she wished she could just take them both, just grab them both by the hand and walk out that door never looking back. Yet she knew that it could never be the case, that was the agreement she could only keep custody of one.

"Diana, my love. It doesn't have to be like this", how she would miss him and his honeyed words. The sweet nothings he'd whisper in her ear at night, the promises for anything she could ever want.

"I love you Arthur, but things can't stay like this"

No matter how much she wanted to stay, no matter how much she wished to fall back into his arms her conscience wouldn't allow it.

"Why then? Why leave now? After everything we've been through"

"It's because you're a monster. A stupid arrogant man playing games for the sake of his ego and pride, you see those two girls? Your there father, my husband, you're supposed to be here keeping us safe"

Yes, Arthur, Marquis, is a good father but he was still a Monster. The Marche was all he had, he'd told her the stories of when he was just a street rat, she wouldn't make him give it up but it was too dangerous for her girls.

He looked at her resolutely as he said, "Diana, you know I'd lay my life down for you and the kids".

"I know" She smiled

He said so and she believed him and therein lie the problem The truth of the problem was that she was afraid, after everything they built up together he may just one day never return. Die at the hands of another cape or captured and taken in by the heroes. The sleepless nights the endless worries, it wasn't something she wanted for herself or her Kids, at least this way she could free one.

"Goodbye Arthur"

Diana walked up to her kids and crouched down hugging them both, tears freely falling from her eyes. "I'm so sorry Amelia", she whispered to her eldest.

Clutching the hands of her youngest she pulled her along walking towards the door, "come on, Matilda".

"Where we going, mommy?" Matilda asked curiosity sparking in the child's eyes.

"Were going to be gone for a while dear"

"Oh? What about Daddy and big sista"

"I'm Sorry", She didn't answer.

---

Yup a Double post. Now this is a quick something a threw up after finishing chapter 2. A Prologue of sorts, i'm not sure i captred all the emotions but it'll do for now.
    Chapter 3 is already in the works so you can be expecting that within the next few days.
    Thanks for reading.

thewhiteraven22 likes this.
  6. Threadmarks: 1.3
    RainRozae

Slowly and calmly. The encouraging words of Kate echoed through my mind as I carefully poured the water down the filter not forgetting to circle. I stepped back letting waiting a few minutes for the water to drain into the pot before pouring myself a cup of coffee.

My face scrunched up in distaste as I took a sip of my coffee, bitter. I dropped my cup down with a sigh, I really didn't get what was wrong this time I took my time and followed all the steps yet I still couldn't even compete with Kate's coffee from last night. I sat down in frustration.

After all the madness that made up my night yesterday, I finally had time to just sit and relax, it was nice, no need to run anywhere no need to constantly be on the lookout nor the need to angst over my dietary needs it was just me myself and I, I was content.

Kate had offered to let me stay with her indefinitely with her only concession being that I work for her at her Coffee Shop.

I still thought the woman was crazy letting a known cannibal into her house and I was hesitant to accept. First, my identity was out in the open, and up until now my plans had just been to keep on running, I didn't really have any other option plus I knew I'd bring trouble to her and her little shop but apparently, a makeover could be counted as a stranger power.

30 minutes later and I' underwent a complete transformation, gone was the fizziness of my hair and in its place dark brown locks, foundation and concealer to hide my freckles, a new uniform, and an eye patch to cover my right eye. I hardly recognized myself which was good, that meant the authorities wouldn't recognise me either.

In the end, I accepted her offer, it's not like I had anywhere left to go. No matter what Kate says I knew this could never be a long-term thing I would be found out eventually I just hoped that it would be later rather than sooner. Kate's been tutoring me on how to brew a good cup of coffee ever since, it wasn't going as well as I hopped.

It was frustrating because even with all the jobs I worked I made sure to avoid any jobs that had to deal with food or at least any jobs that required me to actively be around food. I was already starving I saw no reason to make myself suffer any more than I had to.

I perked up from my seat as the door opened revealing Kate in the same Barista uniform as I met her in last night. She had a soft smile on her face as she approached.

"Hey Tilly, how's the coffee making going?"

"urgh, Bitter," I said pointing to the cup of coffee I had left on the table.

My cheeks flushed in embarrassment as I saw her face scrunch up from the bitter taste, I knew it was bad but seeing others react to it made it soo much worse.

"Yup bitter, how'd you make it?", She looked quizzically at the cup as she asked me.

I groaned in annoyance, "That's the thing I followed all your steps to the T and it still turned out like this".

"Hmm, that's probably the problem then. I meant for my instructions to be a guideline for you to follow not the be-all end of coffee making", she dropped the cup I made as she began to make a cup of coffee for herself using a completely different method than the one she showed me earlier.

"Wanna know the way I see it?", She continued, "I see making coffee as a form of art what works for one person may not work for another and even those who use the same method may not produce the same results. In a similar way that no two people can be the same, no two cups of copy can be exactly the same. Give this a try", she handed me a cup of her finished product and I made to drink it.

"It's good I told her", It was as she said, the coffee was good but it was made differently, therefore, it also tasted different than the one I had yesterday, not better just different.

"I'm glad you like it, you're still new to this but you'll get a hang of it eventually, for now, come with me out front I want to introduce you to your co-workers." She took my hand dragging me along.

Co-workers, that was actually something I had been wondering about, while the shop wasn't all that big it wasn't so small that it could be manned by a single person and it would only make things harder when a complete newbie was added to the mix.

I followed kate out the back and into the front of the store, it really did give off a homely feely just like its namesake – homebrew coffee shop – Sets of chairs and tables, a row of couches, a large carpet in the middle of the room and 2 TV's that were currently off.

Sitting together at one of the circular tables were 2 girls and a guy, who I assumed to be my new co-workers that Kate mentioned. They seemed to b having fun laughing and talking amongst each other, I felt that they probably knew each other quite well and suddenly felt a pang of envy as I thought of charlotte.

The three heads turned to face us with the older girl's face brightening into a smile as she waved us over.

"Hey Kate, this the newest addition to our gaggle of strays?"

I tilted my head in confusion, 'gaggle of strays?'

Kate sighed "You don't need to make it seem like I go out of my ways to collect strays Sam, but yes this is Tilly she's going to be staying with me for a while, she's been through a lot so please treat her kindly."

The girl, Sam? Waves her off, "Don't Worry about it Kate she's one of us now. Ok, I'll start with the Introductions then; I'm Samantha or Sam if you would like, I'm 19 and study Law at Brockton U, I'm also Kate's first honorary stray making me the big sister if you have any problems come to me and I'll handle it."

Sam was a noticeably attractive young woman with long dirty blonde hair, grey eyes, and tanned skin, she wore glasses but they complimented her and gave her an air of maturity. I bristled at the big sister part but other than that she seemed really nice and I couldn't really deny the fact that she did give off big sister vibes or at least caring older girl vibes. I smiled and gave her a head nod

"I guess I'm next then", I turned to face the singular guy in the group," I'm Marcus although some people call me Mark, I'm 21 and I guess you could call me Kate's second stray, I don't really have any big dreams or aspirations but I guess if I had to say something then it would be that I want to continue running this Coffee Shop, I've dropped out of Uni to work here full time so other than Kate you'll be seeing me the most"

Mark was quite tall, towering head and shoulders above me but I guess that didn't mean much considering I was below average myself, He was a caucasian man with short messy brown hair and kind blue eyes. He was quite the decent looker and I could tell he was passionate about this place. Similar to Sam he had that big brother vibe going on but it made sense seeing as they seemed to have been around here the longest.

Finally, I turned to the younger girl, "Hi I'm Ayano or Aya if you want to keep it short, so I'm 16 and go to Claredon, I was the newest here before you that is, I'm not really sure what I want to do, I guess I might just stay with Mark and run the shop"

Aya was clearly of Asian descent and the closest to my age out of the three. her black hair fell just over her shoulders and her eyes a deep brown. She gave the most subdued introduction but I felt that was because she wasn't used to new people considering she seemed quite close to Mark and Sam.

"Um, Thanks like Kate said my name is Tilly, I'm 14 turning 15 at the end of the year I guess I use to go to Winslow before all this and I don't think there's much else to say about me, Kates really helped me out and I hope I can get along with the rest of you, it's nice to meet you all", smile and wave Tilly.

"All right you four we open in 30 minutes everyone gets to their stations, Tilly I'ma need you out in front today can you do that for me?"

I was hesitant, even with the make up I didn't feel like I could fool someone who knew me before but I didn't want to bring more trouble to Kate than I already had so I nodded reluctantly.

"Good, Sam I want you out in front to assist Kate if she needs help, Aya you can stay at the counter and Mark you'll help me with the Coffee"

""Yes, Manager"" The three soluted in sync

I watched the other 3 leave to start cleaning the tables and prepare for opening but I had something on my mind and stayed behind.

"Kate, umm I wanted to ask… with Mark, Sam and Aya did you tell them what I am?" I felt myself waver.

Kate looks me reassuringly as she said,

"No, I haven't told them. it's not my secret to share and I know it's been gnawing at you so I'll leave it for you to decide, whether or not you're comfortable telling them Is your choice. Spend some time to talk to them get to know each of them and then make your decision, they're good kids and I doubt they'll mind. However, if you plan on telling them I advise you to say something sooner rather than later because no one likes it when family hides things from each other."

She left with those words, leaving me to myself, I let out a sigh of relief. 'Family' the words tasted bitter in my mouth. I got it, I could even feel it, Kate, Sam, Mark, and Aya? They were like a family and I was being introduced into it, but did I deserve it?

My mother and Dad are Dead, my Father is in the birdcage and my Sister had forgotten all about me. I had told Kate about my family history my life up to the point of meeting her and she had still accepted me.

Did I want to tell them? I wasn't sure, I knew that Kate was the exception rather than the majority and even if she said they wouldn't mind I really didn't think it'd be as simple as going up to them and telling them I was a cannibal but no I didn't want to eat them.

I sighed, for now, I'd follow Kate's advice and get to know them I'd decide later, for now? I had work to do.

"We hope to see you again soon," I said as I waved my customer off.

I was enjoying myself, yes it was supposed to be work but everyone had been super supportive both Sam and the rest and the customers. I had initially been worried that someone would find me out and I'd have the protectorate storming into the shop but so far everything's been going smoothly.

To be honest it was probably the best job I've worked in my life it definitely beats being an assistant at the library or watching kids.

"Hey, Tilly! Come over here for a second" I heard Sam beckoning me over.

"Could you take this over to Lisa for me? over there on table 6" She said as she put a tray with black coffee in my hands.

"Lisa?" I questioned

Sam nodded her head, "Yeah, she's one of our regulars here, you should introduce yourself"

I nodded I didn't see anything wrong with that, "Alright, will do."

I turned around and made for table six with the tray in hand. I was curious, all the other regulars I met had been really nice so far but I hadn't met anyone around my age come into the shop considering most would be at school or something.

Sitting at table six I saw a girl not too much older than me sitting at her laptop, she was quite attractive with dark blonde hair tied up in a bun, freckles on the bridge of her nose, and green eyes all in all she sort of reminded me of a fox, an attractive fox but still a fox.

"Excuse me miss here's your coffee," I said as I placed the cup of coffee on the table.

"Thanks, your new here right? Hi, I'm Lisa" She smiles at me and sticks her hand out for a handshake of which I happily returned.

"I'm Tilly and yeah today's my first day, it's nice to meet you"

Lisa took a sip of her coffee before humming in satisfaction, "You guys serve the best coffee here you know? That it's a nice place to relax just makes it all the more better."

I nodded in agreement, "Was never really much of a coffee person myself before and I've only recently got into it but what Kate makes is amazing, though I haven't had the chance to try the others." I said absentmindedly.

She seemed amused as she leaned in closer, "Oh? What made you want to work in a coffee shop then?"

"Ah, well things happened and Kate really helped me out of a bad situation and just sort of brought me in, not that I don't like it here, it's actually rather nice," I said trying to be as vague as possible.

Lisa Laughed, "Yup That's Kate for you, she actually helped me out for a bit when I was homeless myself, guess you could say I'm also considered one of her strays, although I didn't stay with her long it was nice while it lasted." She had a nostalgic smile on her face.

My jaw dropped at that, I couldn't really picture the girl in front of me as someone who had been homeless, she gave off the sort of vibe that made it seem she was well off and had money to spare, but it made sense in hindsight neither Sam Mark nor Aya looked very poor either.

I shook my head, "I can't see it."

She laughed as she and put her coffee down, "Well it's like you said things change, and I am admittedly doing well for myself now."

"So what are you working on? You a student or?" I trailed off.

"Nope, I tested out of school to get my GED and have no plans for higher education at the moment, I'm actually just researching something for my boss."

That gave me pause I never thought about getting my GED although could I still do it with my identity out? I'd have to find out later.

"Tilly! need you back here." Sam called out from behind.

"Looks like you need to get back to work, well if you ever wanna hang out some time here's my number, it was nice talking to you."

"yeah thanks, It was nice talking to you as well."

I turned back and walked over to sam as she waved me over.

"How's Lisa", she asked.

"She was nice, it true that Kate picked her up from the streets as well?"

Sam laughed at that, "Yeah, that was maybe a year ago? She didn't stay too long apparently she found herself a job soon after, though she makes sure to come around most days."

"Makes sense, she seems to be doing good for herself"

"Yup, Come on we got a few more customers to serve before we go on lunch break", I nodded and went along with her.

The rest of the day passed by pretty quietly after that, Sam and Aya rotated around helping me and who was at the counter and I gradually got used to working out in the café. During the break lunch break, I went back to learning how to brew coffee since I didn't need to eat and Mark helped me out. They did ask some questions about how I came to meet Kate and why I ended up as a stray, to begin with, but when they saw it was a hard topic for me they dropped it and moved to something else.

Other than that I put most of my focus into working, although I had other things on my mind namely the strange pressure at my lower back I had been feeling since morning, and It didn't seem like the sort of thing I'd experiment in the store with. There were other facets to my power that were obvious from my enhanced senses and the moving speed I noticed last night.

In all honestly, my powers had made me less than human especially compared to what powers normally did to people barring the monster capes, but I at least hoped cannibalism and enhanced senses wasn't all I got, something to not make everything I went through so pointless. so while I still hated what my powers had done for me I knew they couldn't be all bad and I was curious to find out what else I could do.

I didn't plan on going out at night to become some sort of caped crusader mostly because a lot of them looked silly and I had never fought a single person in my life, I wasn't looking for an early grave. Even at that I at least wanted to know what my powers did so I could defend myself, I was a wanted girl, but a girl who had no plans of coming in quietly

So I made a decision, tonight I'd go out, not to fight crime, not to crime, but to test my powers, if I was gonna learn to defend my self I'd need to know how to use them. I'd go over to the boat graveyard seeing as it was this city's standard power testing ground for independents and seeing that I wasn't a tinker I shouldn't bring too much attention to myself, hopefully.

What could go wrong?

Night fell and the shop was closed, Sam, Mark, and Aya had gone home and I'd told Kate that I needed to do something tonight, she was respectful and didn't pry but told me to be safe, so here I was out at night in the streets of Brockton bay with nothing but a face mask and my hoodie protecting my identity.

No matter what the heroes told you it was a fact that Brockton bay was ruled by the gangs the heroes only helped keep them in check, a stop-gap rather than the solution. I watched around me as the quality of buildings declined and I saw an increase in the number of whores, gang members, and drunks about signaling me that I was entering gang territory or more specifically ABB territory, but I needed to pass through here if I wanted to get to my destination.

It was why I was doing my best to keep to the shadows not wanting to bring attention to myself. I had a goal in mind, go to the boat graveyard test out my powers and then come back I didn't need to get involved with anything else.

So it was with great displeasure that not even 10 minutes after venturing into the docks my newly enhanced senses picked up the sound of what I could only assume to be the roars of an angry rage dragon stomping in my direction and a swarm of Bugs? I didn't even know we had a bug-controlling cape in the Bay.

Faced with the approach of the local gang boss I made the obvious decision and hid behind a bin. Peeking my head above it I saw a figure clad in black surrounded by bugs running away from the rage-dragon and in my general direction.

I found myself in a little bit of a predicament, on one hand, I had Lung the local rage-Dagon and in my opinion strongest parahuman in the Bay, he was already decently grown and looked very angry, on the other hand, I had an unknown bug-themed cape but enhanced sight saw that unknown cape was just a skinny girl, a relative girl but still a skinny girl.

The question was do I help her? I had no illusion in my mind of becoming some big damn hero nor did I want to, at best I was just a simple girl struggling through life, at worst as the PRT like to paint me as, an unrepentant villain.

I decided to do the sensible thing and leave, yeah sure death by rage dragon must be a pretty shitty way to die but I didn't really have any way to help her, and like I said death by rage-dragon was a pretty shitty way to die and I didn't want that to be me.

Yet it seemed like bug girl must've noticed me because as I made to get away I noticed that bugs were starting to swarm around me, as I tied to brush them off me I noticed that I had caught both bug girls and Lung's attention and they were heading my way.

"Fuck my life"

-----

Alright this took much longer than expected but it's finally here. this chapter was fighting me espeically because i find slice of life stuff difficult but it's finally done.
    Of couse this is a tokyo ghoul cross so we have our obligatory coffee shop and we get our first glimpse at both Taylor and Lisa.
    Next chapter will have ou tag team between Taylor and Tilly as well as our introduction to the Undersiders.
    i'm still looking for a beta so if your intreseted swing me a message.
    A question before closing off, what do you think should happen if Tilly eats a shard (brains).

A Simurgh Plot and Zcuron like this.
  7. Threadmarks: 1.4
    RainRozae

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, Fuck!" I screamed as I ran together with the bug-cape.

I had a plan and everything, all I had to do was get to the boat graveyard test out my powers and make it back home. I just had to avoid the gangs and especially avoid the capes but yet here I am running away from a certain murder dragon in the dead of the night.

I turned to my partner in this predicament and screamed, "You! Why did you drag me into this mess, all you had to do was lead the murder dragon away but you lead him right to me, why is he even chasing you anyway?"

"I said I'm sorry, OK!" she screamed back at me sounding exasperated, "I thought you were one of Lungs lieutenant, I mean why else would you be out here in the middle of the night?"

"Fuck no, that doesn't even make sense, I'm not one of lungs Lieutenants, I'm not even Asian, I just happened to be passing by when I heard the roar of an angry murder dragon so I did the smart thing and hid, why the fuck is he even chasing you in the first place?" She really wasn't earning any points with me, does she always make such wild assumptions, what If I had just been some random civilian?

"Lung said he was gonna go and kill kids! I couldn't just let him do that, so I attacked him with my bugs."

"Fuck me! You're one of them damn hero types with a bleeding heart, aren't you? Why didn't you just go and call the Protectorate or something instead of trying to fight a fucking dragon with bugs and dragging me into this mess." I felt my blood boiling, fucking heroes, what was wrong with this girl.

"I don't own a phone an- Wait! Does that mean you're not a hero then?" She turned to face me but I couldn't get a feel for her expression behind her creepy mask.

"Of course not, I'm nothing like you idiots running around in tights and spandex beating each other up for shits and giggles, but if you want to be technical about it you can call me Carnage considering that's what you Heroes decided to label me," I said with venom seeping into my voice. I felt a sense of elation as I watched her tense at the name Carnage, that was good, I didn't like the name but at times like this, it was useful.

My eyes widened as I watched her trying to change directions and run away from me, was she stupid? Lung was right behind us and she was what? Trying to escape from me now too?

"Where the hell are you doing?"

"You're a villain, worst you're a cannibal, I don't trust you!"

"If I wanted you dead, I would've eaten you already or better yet thrown you at the rage-dragon you provoked in hopes of pacifying him. Look you're being stupid you bought me into this mess that means you're helping me get out of it, we need to find a way to deal with Lung."

Bug-bitch seemed to relax at that, "I've used: pepper spray, wasp and bee stings, fire ants and spider bites, I judged he could handle it because of his enhanced regeneration, as he ramped up and more of his scales started covering him, I had to aim for the more…delicate parts of him, but it seemed to have only made him start growing faster."

I looked at her, a grimace adorned on my face, I first looked at her costume then at her bugs, and found myself wondering if she really wanted to be Hero, she'd probably make a killing as a villain. She had just casually talked about unleashing numerous venoms on a man's dick and she didn't exactly look very heroic either.

Turning my head around I see the rage-dragon charging at us like an unstoppable force the ground shook with every step he took, he was expelling plumes of flames all over his body burning all the bugs that threatened to get too close to him. If what the bug bitch said was true with all that venom flowing through him brute or not, he'll probably feel like shit when this is all over.

One thing that confused me was how he was breathing in all that fire, he had to be combusting the oxygen around him for there to be fire right? So how was he taking in anything other than smoke and fire to breath? Did he just not need oxygen when he was in this state?

I turn to face bug as I ask, "you've been running away from him for a while now, right? Notice any weaknesses?" I was desperate at this point and I had little hope I would live to see tomorrow at this rate.

"Not really, I assumed that it would be fine if I could take him out before he ramped up and if that didn't work, I could run away, but apparently, he gains super-senses with his growth package, he heard me and started chasing me when I tried to leave" I deflated at that.

I turned to look at Lung, he was still behind us not completely transformed yet, but it was only a matter of time before he turned full dragon, "it's surprising he hasn't caught up to us yet, either he's just playing with his prey or your bugs did more to him than you originally thought."

Lung was known as the dragon of Kyushu there really was no logical reason for him to not have caught up to us by now unless he was getting weaker by the venom, or at least I hoped that was the reason and he wouldn't suddenly get bored and kill us now.

"What about you, what powers do you have? Other than the cannibalism thing I mean." I felt my anger rising as the bug-girl said that.

"I don't know," I grumbled out

"What do you mean you don't know!?"

"I said I don't know! Don't get angry at me, that's what I was going to try to find out tonight it's not my fault we have a raging dragon chasing after us and it's also not my fault that I don't know the full extent of my powers yet in fact, they're both yours," That was the heart of the problem here, she came out tonight to find out about her powers so she could defend herself in situations just like this.

It really shouldn't have come as a surprise when we eventually reached a dead end, I mean what did we expect to happen when we were running around aimlessly in Lung's territory, he probably planned to have us cornered from earlier on. I felt my hopes for escape beginning to drown in my feelings of despair, I looked at the girl who landed me in this mess and couldn't help but feel a vindictive pleasure that at the very least I wouldn't be dying alone.

"Ooo…Kill…you!" Lung's voice was distorted; sounding more like a roar of a crazed animal than words spoken from a man.

It was a scary sight being nearly face to face with a fire-dragon, Lung was large around 12 feet give or take and he was likely still growing, his eyes in his transformed state were like molten lava, the shape of his skull and face were more catlike than human similar to that of a Chinese dragon, his nose and mouth were a single X-shaped opening, his teeth bristled pointed in in every direction, his fingers were tipped with foot-long blades that looked more like knives than claws, layers of silver scales adorned across his body with cracks of molten running between them. there was nowhere to run, nowhere left to hide, we either had to fight and win or die trying.

"Soo…Bug, do you have anything else to keep him buzzy?" I quipped trying to make the best out of a bad situation

"Shut up, Tilly!"

I snorted but then I gave pause as I processed her words, it wasn't because she knew my name, everyone did I was on the news after all but it was because she called me 'Tilly' only my friends or at least people I know quite well use that name as I had everyone else call me by my full name Matilda plus her voice sounded familiar now that I thought about it

I narrowed my gaze at her as I accused, "You know me, who are you?"

She tensed at that but relaxed soon after, "It doesn't matter right now we have to deal with lung I'll tell you if we can get out of this alive."

I sighed and realized she was right, looking over to her I realized she was shaking, we were looking death in the eye and I was having unnecessary thoughts, I needed to focus on how to get out of this mess alive.

In the end, it all came down to the pressure that had been building in my lower back, Bug-girl's bugs couldn't do anything else to him and it didn't look like we were gonna be getting help from anyone else, we were alone so that meant I could only rely on myself which was fine I preferred it like that anyways.

If there was any time to awaken some amazing power that would get me out of this situation now was the time, with that thought I focused on the strange pressure on my back and let myself go.

Taylor POV

They were going to die, the thought kept repeating in her mind. Truthfully Taylor knew she was an idiot for landing them in this predicament, what was she even thinking? Fighting Lung on her first night out? The entire Protectorate couldn't do it let alone a single independent cape. She had to force herself to stop shaking. What made this all so much worse was who she had dragged up into this mess of hers, Matilda Wilson her ex-friend, and the person she disliked the most just after the terrible trio. Coward.

It made sense that someone like Matilda became a villain, it fit her nature to a T and although Taylor hadn't expected her to become a cannibal, a villain was still a villain. Matilda had been her only friend in Winslow up until a few months prior when she betray her trust and left her. Just like Emma. She was a coward too afraid to support her friend after the stunt Emma and Sophia had pulled with the locker in January. Tilly had told her as much when she said that she didn't want to get involved.

Yet even after all that as she looked up at Lung approaching them, she realized she didn't wish for Matilda to die because of her mistakes.

It was at that moment that she started hearing grunts coming from the freckled girl next to her, she turned to look at her only to see that she was hunched over. Taylor attempted to get closer to Tilly to see what was happening with her but she stopped when she suddenly saw a sac-like structure begin to grow out of Tilly's back before exploding.

Taylor blinked her eyes in mesmerisation as she saw four tentacle-like appendages burst out of Tilly's back and weave around her form swishing around like water. She couldn't help but note how pretty they looked, they were a deep Red and seemed to shine in the dark, and yet she couldn't shake the feeling of danger she felt from them.

Taylor watched as Tilly crouched down onto all fours growling at Lung, her new tails waved through the air seeming to brighten for a bit before they burst with a crackle of electricity that soon began coating Tilly's form like some sort of aura.

Taylor blinked.

Tilly was gone.

Dust covered the spot where she originally was, Taylor swerved her head around hearing the roar of Lung having momentarily forgotten about him after witnessing Tilly's transformation. She watched in mesmerisation as Tilly duked it out against Lung by herself.

Taylor couldn't help but note how fast Tilly was, she had only blinked, and yet Tilly had disappeared in that singular moment, even now as she duked it out against Lung, she could only barely see her moving, Tilly only continued to prove how agile she was as she weaved around Lungs attempts to crush her, ducking and weaving through his ferocious attacks and seemingly not caring for the fire the man was producing.

Taylor watched as Tilly used her tentacles to strike at lung while she dodged or reflected his attacks, whenever Lung destroyed a tentacle, they seemed to instantly regrow before continuing the assault on Lung anew.

She heard a loud thump as the ground shook, she saw Tilly use Two of her tentacles to propel herself up into the air, what followed next was a horrendous sight as she saw Tilly vault over Lung ripping a piece of flesh out with her teeth mid-flight before eating the Flesh. Taylor felt her stomach churn as she watched Tilly chew on the flesh of the dragon before swallowing it.

Taylor heard lung let out a piercing roar of what she assumed was pain but to make matters worse she heard Tilly laugh; it wasn't a pretty sight.

"HAHAHAHA, hey, hey, it hurts, doesn't it? Just like you hurt me~"

"OO'ILL YOU"

The two both sounded insane and Tilly only seemed to become more and more feral her laughter echoing throughout the enclosure. Their fight entered its second round with Lungs attacks being even more erratic than before doing his level best to kill Tilly, at one point even managing to claw at Tilly leaving a large gash on her stomach yet just like her tentacles it didn't seem to faze her as Taylor watched the wound visibly close up.

Taylor wondered if this was how fights between capes were supposed to be, so bloody and brutal, because to her it looked like a fight between beasts, between two apex predators of the highest calibre duking it out for superiority.

The fight continued on like that blow for blow each trying to test the limits of each other's regeneration, whenever Tilly couldn't deflect or block an attack from Lung, she'd take the hit; regenerate, and return the favour twice fold.

Looking at the brutality Taylor wondered if this was where Tilly got her namesake from, Carnage, it made sense if the PRT had seen something similar coming from her before.

Lung still seemed to be on the backfoot, his growth seemed to have come to a stop at somewhere around 15 feet yet Tilly was still much faster than him and while he had the upper hand in strength her weird tails seemed to more than compensate for it.

Lung roared before literally exploding in an eruption of flames, Taylor heard a familiar thumping sound as she watched yet again as Tilly propelled herself up into the air and out of the fire. Taylor wondered if Tilly was gonna try to take another bite out of Lung, but instead saw Tilly spread her arms out wide as her Tails shot downwards cashing into Lung piercing through his scales and entering his body, seemingly not satisfied with the result her tails began sparking as electricity ran through there length and into Lung electrocuting him from the inside out.

Lung roared in pain as his body began smoking, Tilly continued laughing at the sound of his screams, eventually, the man started shrinking and eventually fell onto the ground no longer transformed signalling the end of the battle.

Taylor felt her body relax as she let out a sigh of relief. She felt exhausted, this was much more than she was expecting for her first night out, she felt exhausted even if she wasn't the one fighting. However, she realised everything wasn't over as she saw Tilly continuing to move closer to downed Lung. A sense of dread welled up inside her as she realized what the cannibal cape was aiming to do next.

Taylor needed to stop her, she was trying to be a hero, and being an associate to murder on her first night out as a Cape does not paint a pretty picture.

Taylor Screamed, "Tilly, Stop!"

Seemingly having heard her pleas Tilly stopped and turned around to look at her, Taylor noted the mismatched colour of her eyes, the left amber while the right a mix of black and red, she still had that feral look in her eyes but she seemed to have gained some sense of clarity. Taylor felt her knees collapse under her as the weight of the situation finally left her. She was alive.

Matilda POV

"Tilly, Stop!"

The sound of my name being called jolted me out of my blood-induced haze. I turned around to face the source of the sound only to find the shivering form of Bug-girl, even with her mask that hid her facial expressions, I could tell she was afraid, maybe even smell it.

I took a moment to assess my surroundings and I found myself wondering if it was really me that caused all this damage. I had fought Lung even beaten him logically I knew that was me yet during the whole fight it felt like I was a back seat passenger in my own mind as I let someone else pilot my body.

I looked down at the smoking form of Lung on the ground, just moments later If I hadn't been stopped, I would've cannibalized on him, heck I hazily remember biting his ear off during the fight.

I wondered if I had killed the man would I have been doing this city a service? I didn't have much time to think on the subject as three creatures landed right next to us with four figures riding atop them, two girls and two guys. I watched them slide off the backs of the beast and felt my body tense adrenaline-pumping ready for another fight.

"Hey, hey, were not her to fight", said the girl clad in purple, her arms up in sign the universal sign of surrender.

I relaxed slightly at that but still kept my guard up, still pretty suspicious of the capes that showed up only after the battle was over.

The tall one in the biker helmet approached us first, while the others stayed behind him seemingly intent on watching the exchange. Their leader?

"You really saved us a lot of trouble," he said. His voice was deep but muffled by the helmet he wore.

He was dressed entirely in black; he wore a basic motorcycle leather and a helmet with the visor on his helmet stylized to look like a skull. I stayed quiet not really sure what was going on, I turned to bug-girl looking to see if she knew anything seeing as she was the one that was originally being chased by Lung yet she seemed just as clueless shaking her head.

Noting that none of us were gonna answer him he continued, "When we got word Lung was aiming to come after us tonight, we were pretty freaked, as you might have guessed. We were arguing strategy for the better part of the day before eventually decided to wing it. Not my usual way of doing things, but yeah."

The gears in my brain began to creak as I realized that it was because of this lot that I had to risk myself against Lung.

The guy in black kept talking, "Wouldn't you know, his flunky Lee is there with a half dozen guys yet Lung and the rest of his gang are nowhere to be found," he laughed. "Not to say Oni Lee is a slouch in a fight but there's a reason why Lung's the leader of the ABB and not him. When he realized his boss wasn't coming, he got spooked and ran. How'd you guys even do that?"

It was bug girl that spoke up this time as she said, "Pepper spray, wasp and bee stings, fire ants, spider bites plus numerous other venoms," she then pointed at me as she continued, "It was her that actually beat him in a fight."

"Oooh, it looks like Brockton Bays resident cannibal is stronger than the heroes think", the girl clad in purple said announcing my identity to the rest of her team, with the exception of her they all took a step back. Just like bug-girl, she seemed familiar yet I was having a hard time placing where I had seen her.

"Your Carnage?", the man clads in black asked, I just nodded not really caring who knew who I was anymore, it wasn't like I had a secret identity.

"You're not gonna eat us are you miss cannibal", the boy in the white mask said, humour clear in his voice.

"This would've been a good thing to tell us before we came down here Tattletale," The man in black growled, I imagined he was glaring at his partner behind his visors.

"Oh, relax she's harmless, well not harmless but she's not gonna try to eat us," It irked me that she was being so flippant about all of this but I kept quiet.

She clapped her hands as she went on, "Alright Introductions, I'm Tattletale Brockton Bay's resident psychic, The guy in the bike leathers is our fearless leader Grue," she then pointed at the other girl wearing a dollar store dog mask," that's Bitch, her preference, but in the interests of being P.G., the good guys and media decided to call her Hellhound instead. Lastly, we have Regent." He gave a lazy wave as he was introduced.

Tattletale then looked at bug girl, "Now you know who we are, and everyone knows who carnage is but what about you? You got a name?"

It was then I realized that I didn't know the girl's cape name haven taken to referring to her as bug-girl or bug-bitch in my mind. I turned towards her as well curious about the new cape's name as well.

She shakily replied, "I don't… I haven't picked one yet."

Tattletale opened her mouth it looked like she was going to say something else, but she stopped, turning her head. The smile she'd been wearing faded, "Heads up heroes incoming. We've gotta scram."

Focusing on my ears I could hear the roar of an engine getting louder, coming closer to our direction, most likely Armsmaster. I didn't feel like getting arrested nor fighting the Tinker hero so that meant it was time for me to go as well.

The four of them began climbing onto Bitch's dogs before Grue turned towards us asking, "You guys need a ride?"

I was hesitant, on one hand, I was hesitant and didn't really trust these guys on the other I was tired from my fight with Lung and I needed to not be here when the heroes showed up so I accepted in the end and climbed on the back.

"Thanks," I said as I got behind him

Bug-girl shook her head causing Grue to shrug, I wondered why she didn't accept before remembering that she was a hero or at least trying to be one, I say anything feeling that it would cause more drama than it was worth.

Tattletale turned to Bug before saying, "Well, Bug, you did us a solid with helping us deal with Lung, so take my advice. Someone from the Protectorate shows up, finds two bad guys duking it out, they're not going to let one walk away. You should get out of here while you can," she said and flashed a smile as I snorted, Bug was probably gonna sell them all out when the heroes came.

With that, the dogs leaped over her head onto the nearest building, one of them must've hit something because there was a loud screech, but I finally felt myself relax seeing as I was mostly out of danger, now I just had to find out what I was gonna tell Kate.

------

I actually really enjoyed writing this chapter which is probably why it came out so fast.
    This is my first time doing a fighting scene so bear with me if it's not that good hopefully I'll improve with time.
    So here we get out first look at a more unhinged Tilly where she lets herself go and relies purely on her Ghoul Instincts, more of Tilly's mental state will be addressed in the Charlotte interlude I'm working on.
    We also get to see a bit more of the history of Taylor and Tilly which will be an important factor of the story going forward.
    Next 2-3 chapters will probably be interludes, one of which will probably be and Amy interlude yay.

8. OriginTrainer

OriginTrainer Catching them all is hard work, right?

I'm loving the direction this story is taking, but i really hope she isn't joining the Undersiders for whatever reason; she's got it good right where she is, and they are somewhat overused. But at the end of the day, it's just my opinion; I'll read your story no other which direction it takes, because it's a good Tokyo Ghoul Cross.