• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Gotta cable problem

Master of Squirrel-fu

The Original
Okay, first off I want to ask you to hold your judgments until you read through the whole thing.

I gotta problem with my cable. Namely I don't have any anymore. The place I live at only has a single provider. Now normally this wouldn't be a problem, I would just pay for them to install it. Sadly this is where it gets complicated. As it turns out my cable was... hot. At first I had no idea of this, since I was not the one who paid for it in the first place, but learned later and didn't want to rock the boat. I mean what could I do, there was only one provider and if I ratted it out than I might lose all the cable permanently anyway. So we kept it on like that and just recently it went out, I figure the cable company had finally found it out.

Right now I'm at a loss for what to do. Do I call them up and ask them to turn it on right? Will they even do that? Will they charge more? Will they get all smug and rub it in my face before calling the cops? Hell, do they even keep track of this sorta thing and if they do do they put them on the black list? I really want my cable back... :'(

Last edited by a moderator:
*sweatdrops* @_@

That is a mighty conundrum....

I'd say give it a month or two, maybe three to be safe. Then, well, just purchase a plan. If they ask, well, it wasn't you Squirrel, you don't really know anything about cable and electronics.

What does "hot" cable mean?

Illegal Cable TV

For now I would do as fallen suggested. But no need to miss all your shows, you can still watch them online on the company websites.

Waitaminute, were you getting stuff like HBO, or just your run of the mill local channels? Where do you live?

Himura said:
Just average shitty cable. But it was enough.
Then, it depends on where you live, and whether your hot cable was on a descrambling box (like this)

cable-box.jpg

or not. If it was on the box, you might have some trouble, especially in Massachusetts. If it was just a cable plugged into the wall, you will be fine if you don't mention anything. If they ask? Just say you decided to switch from Netflix or something. If you are in the US or Canada.

Hell, just get Netflix and high speed Internet if you can. At least 2.5mbps if you want to get Netflix.

I've actually been in this situation before.

I just called them up to make myself their new customer, didn't mention I'd been stealing cable, and they sent out a guy to hook it up.

After about fifteen minutes of futzing around the guy came up and told me flat out.

"It looks like you're already wired in, but not on the books."

"So I could of been watching cable this whole time, and for free?" I asked him. "Damn, now I feel dumb."

"Well no, it actually wouldn't have worked."

"Oh, well that makes me feel better about it. Thanks."

Never heard anything else about it.

Edit: I did unplug the cable from the TV and pull it out, and into the wall first.

Don't admit anything; anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, if they decide to press charges. Just buy a plan, and get them to come out and install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back