1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guanyin's Melody of Amelioration

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by My_Game_Account, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Threadmarks: Chapter 1
    My_Game_Account

My_Game_Account Getting sticky.

December 24, 2010, Friday.

I wake slowly, coming up from a relaxing dream. I had been floating in warm water. My long curls splayed out all around me. The trees surrounding the lake were tall enough that only dapples of sunlight got through. My head had been resting on the knees of my mother kneeling in the clear water. She smiled down at me.

I close my eyes tightly, wishing to hold on to the feeling of peace but I am eventually left with my warm bed and the harsh morning light coming through the window. I open my eyes, looking around the room. It's the same as yesterday. My slow computer on my writing desk. One oak bookcase, mostly full of my favorite books. The fuzzy green carpet engulfs my feet as I stand up out of bed. I keep meaning to ask dad to buy me new slippers. I'm not looking forward to the cold hardwood floor of the rest of the house.

I set about getting my day started. My first stop is the shower. After that, I spend a good twenty minutes getting my hair just right. We are going to see mom today. I need to look my best. I dress in a green leaf print blouse and black slacks. My dress shoes get buffed out before being put on.

I make my way downstairs into the kitchen where dad is already sitting at the table. He is dressed in his blue blazer with a checked pattern shirt and black pants. Completing the ensemble are his pink bunny slippers. His Oxfords are sitting under the table beside him. It looks good on his lanky frame. That is unfortunately offset by the bags under his eyes. He looks like he did not sleep at all last night.

"Good morning dad, did you have some coffee yet, or were you waiting for me to get up?"

"Hum, oh good morning, I had mine already. The kettle is just starting to cool down if you want tea."

"Thanks." I bustle about the kitchen for a moment getting my coffee mug out and the tea bags. I put some of my Mother Da Hong Pao tea on to steep.

The silence is deafening. That is about as much conversation as either of us has managed in a week. But today I aim to fix that.

"Dad, before we go visit mom, can we go to the mall and have lunch? We could do a little window shopping."

He smiles for the first time in a long while. "I think we can do a little better than that. I have a spare forty dollars. What do you say about going to that bookstore along with lunch?"

My answering smile is fit to burst my face. He paid attention when I talked about my last trip to the mall. I had thought he only asked out of obligation.

"Thanks! I already know a few I want to get."

/\

The ride over is uneventful, but getting out of the car I see something I had hoped not to see today. Petty bitch extraordinaire Madison Clements. She is with her family so I can only hope they keep her in line. Thankfully she hasn't noticed me. Today is about me and Dad. Just ignore her and she will go away. We make our way to the food court and place our orders. As we are sitting down to eat he asks me the question I have been looking forward to.

"So how is school?"

I can honestly smile as I reply, "It's good no one has bothered me for about two months now. I think Ignoring them worked." We make idle chatter after that. "How is work?" I ask him.

"Ha, I would rather not think about that. It's just work. Sometimes I feel like the head of firing instead of hiring."

I don't know what to say to that so I just shake my head yes and continue eating my sub sandwich. This is awkward but it feels like real progress from where we were. After we both finish eating and cleaning up the table I know where we are going next.

Book Barns Movie Palace. The best place in the mall. There is no conversation now. I lead unerringly to the store and we split up. Him going into the movie section and me going into the used books. My cares and worries fall away as I start skimming titles. I'm always looking for books on wilderness survival in alien environments but I have yet to find one. After watching the movie 'Enemy Mine' the idea just caught my imagination. Most popular books nowadays involve superpowers. It can be difficult to find anything in the sci-fi or fantasy genre that is off-world.

A hand falls on my shoulder and my heart sinks. I have only chosen two books. Dad is holding a bag with several movies in it. I hardly noticed the passing of time. I give him the most pitiful look I can muster. He laughs at me.

"Alright, I'll just leave these with the cashier and come look at books with you. We can only stay in the mall for another thirty minutes. I want to go window shopping." As he moves out of sight I hear a weaselly voice from behind me.

"Ew, was that your boyfriend, Taylor! He is so old. Your friends on the football team are going to be disappointed."

I turn to face her, "What do you want, Madison?" I try to ask in my most deadpan voice.

"Oh nothing, just checking in to make sure you haven't forgotten me. But I've got to go now. See you at school!" She brushes past me.

I take a step back from her and the sunglasses she tried to slip into my jacket pocket clatter to the ground. She keeps walking without looking back. I pat myself down, checking the rest of my pockets. Fortunately, all the outside ones are empty and my clutch purse is safely inside the big inner zipper pocket.

I wait just long enough that I am sure she has left the area and pick up the sunglasses. I will give them to the cashier on the way out. Dad returns and we spend a few more minutes looking at books but my heart isn't in it anymore. If she decided to mess with me out of school that means they are probably going to start back up after the holidays. At least it wasn't Emma this time.

I try to pay proper attention to dad while we window shop. However, my preoccupation with thoughts about what new cruelty those three girls might come up with keeps me agitated. If he notices he keeps it to himself.

On the way out to the car, I spot three Parahuman Response Team vans. They are marked with purple stripes diagonally across the side and the initialization of the organization is stenciled over the shield emblem. Their emergency lights are green and white. But the lights are not on. I nudge dad and point them out.

"I hope nothing happened,'' he mutters. "Did you hear anything while we were in there?"

"No, maybe it's one of the Ward's events?" This close to Christmas seems like a good time for everyone to take pictures with the junior heroes.

He shrugs as we walk across the parking lot, "I'd probably have seen it on the news if that's the case. Do you want to go back in and have a look?"

I almost shudder at the thought of running into Madison again. And if it is a Ward event Emma and Sophia are sure to show up. "I'm good, besides we have our timetable set out already. I would rather stick to it."

He gives me a piercing look to match my level gaze over the top of the car before shaking his head and getting in. The drive to the graveyard takes about an hour.

It is a family lot by an American Baptist Church. We pull into the parking spot and dad kills the car. Before we get out he turns to me and holds up a fist initiating a game of rock, paper, scissors.

One round elimination winner gets to talk to mom first. He always sticks to paper or scissors and never uses rock. When our hands come down for the third time I am elated to see that I have won. I explode my rock and destroy his scissors. Then with a happy snort I get out of the car.

I walk across the road through the well taken care of wrought iron gate. Most of the graves I pass have winter grave blankets made of evergreen boughs. When I reach Mom's grave I stop short in surprise.

Covering her stone marker is a blanket of big white chrysanthemums. Each of the giant flower heads looks perfect, almost waxy with a slight mist of dew. They must be fresh because as I get closer I smell blackberries and earth. Not caring that I am in my good clothes I kneel at the foot of her grave and lean down to better smell the flowers.

I close my eyes and when I open them again I am back floating in the lake looking up at mom. My head in her lap. I blink a few times then tentatively ask, "Did I die?"

There is a peal of laughter like a silver bell. "No honey, you're just fine. You will wake up in a little while. Until then we have time to talk."

"You know I missed you?" I reach up to touch her face with both hands and she leans forward slightly to let me. Her skin is soft, I squish her cheeks and she laughs again.

"I missed you too Taylor." She says after l let go. "I have been watching you and I'm worried. Taylor, why have you been letting Emma get away with acting like that? You know Zoe would do something about it and so would little Anne. They love you."
    I feel indignation rising. I don't want to argue with my mother when I have missed her so much but I can't let that pass. "If they love me, where has aunt Zoe been? She has not even called me since—..."

A hand tangles in my hair and gently shakes my head no. "Taylor, you know Zoe has anxiety issues. She does her best but in this case, you need to extend the hand. You shouldn't have to grow up so soon but it seems everyone in your life decided you are an adult. And your father will be having words with me about that when I next see him."

I can't help but giggle at that. A bit of catharsis in an otherwise annoying day.

Mom sighs, "It's time to talk about why you're here. I found a sponsor for our earth. Someone who wants to see things get better for everyone. Her name is Guanyin. She has agreed to connect you to your potential. When you wake up you will be indistinguishable from a Parahuman. But your ability will come with training wheels. I am not the first to think of finding a sponsor so don't be surprised if someone else approaches you."

I give her a dubious look. "Why not give dad the power? I don't think I would be a good choice. And why are there sponsors in the first place?"

"If your father finds out the afterlife is real I am not sure he could resist joining me. Of course, if he did that he wouldn't get the opportunity to keep his human body or memories."

My body starts to tingle. I raise a hand out of the water and look at it. The pores of my skin have expanded and gunk that looks like nasty blackheads is being forced out. It doesn't hurt but it's a weird feeling.

"Ah, there is the connection! You are going to wake up soon." The black stuff falls into my eyes. I close them on reflex and try to wipe the gunk away. "Taylor, love, before you go there is a thing you have lost. I want to return." I don't know what it is but she presses it into my chest. I feel cool water run over my face. There is a gentle kiss on my forehead. I open my eyes and catch a flash of my mother's smile that quickly fades, dissolving into the walls of a room.

Dammit, I wasn't done! My hands go to my chest to find a metal object. My eyes are drawn to it and widen in shock. Something that had been defiled and destroyed by Emma. The silver filigree of my mother's flute sparkles up at me. Unlike last time I saw it though it seems to sparkle with an inner light.

"Taylor!" Dad calls out to me. "Are you alright?"

I sit up. "Yes, but what is that horrific—?" I look at him properly. Floating above his head are the words:

Daniel Hebert

State: Mortal

"It's you. I think I am going to have to buy the pastor a new mattress and sheets. We are waiting for the ambulance to get here. What are you staring at?"

I quickly switch to looking at his eyes. "Nothing! Um, is there a shower I could go to?" I'm starting to feel crusty.
    "Let me go talk to the pastor. I'll be right back."

As soon as he is out the door a screen slides into my view.

Merry Christmas. You are the proud new owner of The Gamer version 17.7 stable edition. Please say or think, Status to get started exploring the game interface.

Is this what mom told me about? Status.

Taylor Hebert

Hp 25

Qi 5

Body 5

Mind 5

Soul 1

Meridians 1

Core 0

Dao Heart 0

Free points 0

I have an idea what Hp, Body, and Mind mean but the rest of this is new to me. It reads like an interface from one of my sci-fi novels. There is a 3d model of me to the left of the status screen. It is wearing the same clothes as me. Lines are pointing out what each piece of clothing is. And there is a tab that says quick change. I focus on it for a moment.

No clothes in inventory.

That brings my attention to the right side where there are boxes helpfully labeled inventory at the top. There is a red arrow pointing at the first one with the words:

Place an item here.

I hear footsteps enter the room and the screen goes translucent. I think at the screen to go away and it does. When my vision is no longer covered I see dad has come back. He is holding a set of clothing and a towel.

"I think you should wait until after the paramedics have looked you over but if you feel well enough… I will leave it up to you."

I don't waste any time getting out of the bed. Standing up I almost step into a blue mixing bowl full of dirty water with a sponge floating in it. Ew, I would hate to have spilled that it is bad enough that crud is sloughing off of me.

"I'm going to take it now."

"Alright, second door on the left."

I walk out of the little room into a long hallway. There is another small bedroom right across from the one I woke up in. Turning around I hand the flute to dad who looks at it in confusion for a moment before his face pales.

"What's wrong dad?"

"Nothing that can't wait. Go ahead and I am going to start cleaning up."

If he says it can wait I'll trust him. I walk into the bathroom and lock the door behind me. Like the other rooms, it's small. Enough room for a walk-in shower and a cream color sink with a large mirror. I quickly sit my clean clothes on the sink and kick out of the dirty set.

While I am showering I consider what, if anything, I should tell dad. I still feel a little bit crazy seeing floating information boxes. But mom said I would be getting training wheels with my power. Is this what she meant? Was any of that even real? The flute seems to point to yes. In only a few minutes I am clean. I step out and towel myself off. Looking in the mirror I am not surprised to see my own name above my head along with the subtitle mortal.

I wonder for a moment who the immortals are. Probably people like Alexandria. I seem to remember an interview where she said her body stopped aging when her powers came in. I pinch my paunch. At the least, my powers could have come with a full-body makeover.

But no, I still have my too-wide mouth and thin lips with my belly making me look like an upright frog. Well time to try out the one ability I got. I think status and the screen slides into view again. This time I take the clean clothes set and try to put them in the first box. My hand partly disappears into the box and there is a sucking sensation. I jerk my hand back and make sure I still have all my fingers.

When I look at the inventory screen again the sweater, sweat pants, and socks, and shoes each have their own box. Well, the socks and shoes stacked with themselves. I think quick change, and suddenly I am wearing the clothes. I pick up all my dirty clothes and place them in the inventory. Just like the other set each piece gets its own slot.

When I open the bathroom door, I find a broom and dustpan leaning against the facing. There is also a plastic sack on the door handle for some reason. I take a second to tidy up behind myself. Then it hits me that the sack is for my clothes. When I exit the bathroom the second time it is with a tied-up plastic sack and no one will ever know I almost outed myself from not being able to add one plus one.

I go back to the bedroom I started in. This time I am not in such a hurry so I look around. The bed is a twin size. The sheets have been pulled off to reveal a plastic cover. There is a nightstand with a bible on it. The vinyl floor has been mopped and a lemon scent sprayed. Dad is sitting on the bed staring at the flute in his hands.

"Taylor, why do you have your mother's flute? I suppose I should correct that question. Why did mom's flute appear on top of you while I was washing your face?"

"Uhh, I don't know? Look, can we talk about this once we get home? I am still trying to figure out what happened. I don't even know how I got from mom's grave to the bed so you probably know more than me."

"Alright, but we are going to talk about it. Come on, the pastor wants to meet you." As he goes past me he hands back the flute.

I follow him down the hallway past about fifteen or so closed doors into a dining room. The pastor is sitting at a big wooden table that looks like it could seat a lot of people. There are oranges and strawberries in a bowl in front of her on the table. She looks at me with a searching and worried expression. I actually recognize her. She presided over mom's funeral and gave me a hug. If not for the words above her head I wouldn't remember her name.

Lucy Smith

"Are you feeling better, Taylor?" She asks. "If you need something to eat." She gestures at the fruit.

"Thanks but we ate not long ago and I feel fine."

"I'm glad to hear that. How have you been otherwise?"

I give a nervous laugh. "Uh, good I suppose." Thankfully the sound of ambulance sirens interrupts any more awkward conversation.

We go out a side door to meet the paramedics. In a clipped voice, one of them asks, "Where is the patient?" I try not to look at their names so I don't slip up and call them without being introduced. Dad puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "Here."

The one who asked nods, he visibly relaxes and says "Alright miss, if you would come sit on the back of the ambulance I'll look you over. Can you tell me your name? And what can you tell me about the reason for this visit?"

Thinking quickly I decide to leave out the dream. "I'm Taylor Hebert. I walked across the road to my mom's grave and bent over to smell the flowers someone left. The next thing I knew I was waking up in a bed."

"Do you know what day it is?"

"The day before Christmas, the twenty-fourth." As I answer he shines a light in my eye.

"Are you experiencing pain now?"

"No."

"Do you have any allergies?"

"No." I sit the flute down beside me.

He pulls gloves out of a medical box and puts them on. Then he begins feeling around my scalp in my still damp hair. "Do you take any meds? Or have any medical history I should be aware of?"

"No. This was out of nowhere. But I feel fine now."

His head tilts to the side and after a moment he seems to come to a decision. "I see, do you feel that you need an emergency transport to the hospital?"

"I don't." I cross my arms over my chest. "I'm sorry I wasted your time."

His posture stiffens at that and for some reason, he reminds me of an angry cat. However, his speech remains level. "Taylor fainting can be very dangerous. They were right to call this in. If you had hit your head you could have died."

There are so many ways for it to go wrong. I'm here to make sure you're okay. And I am glad you seem to be. Now, I'm going to recommend to your father that you get an appointment with your primary care physician and remind him that he did the right thing by calling in. You may still end up riding with us. It's up to him. Are you alright for me to trade off with my partner?"

I look over where the man is talking to dad and nod.

Elijah Hammer

The words disappear as my displeasure at seeing them registers in my head. I whip around to look above the head of the paramedic that has been treating me. There is nothing there, then with a click in my mind, the words come back.

James Clarkson

I poke the mental switch a few times until it feels natural then leave it off.

"Hey, are you alright? What was that?" James is looking at me with a bit of uncertainty.

"Uh, nothing?"

He removes his gloves and puts his hands on his hips. "You know if you don't tell me what is going on it becomes difficult to diagnose and treat you properly. For example, if you have vision ghosts it would be important to get you to the hospital quickly. If it's something else I can promise that there is Doctor-patient confidentiality. That means I can tell your doctor and no one else without your permission."

I know that ambulance rides are expensive and that I don't really need one but I don't want to tell this stranger that I'm a parahuman. I rack my brain trying to come up with something else to say but come up empty. I sit sullenly fuming at being put in this position. "I don't want to talk about it but I know I don't need to go to the hospital."

James reaches into his bag again and pulls out a handful of pamphlets, he hands them to me. "Alright, alright, we'll see about it. Hey, Ham! Tradeoff!"

Elijah or I guess Ham, jogs across the parking lot from where he had led dad and the pastor. When he gets over to us they trade a high-five and James quickly fills him in on my status before setting off to talk to dad.

I flip through to see what pamphlets James handed me. The first one is about a transport service for if you need a ride to the doctor for free. The second one is for abuse survivors. The third one is where it gets interesting to me.

Superpowers and You.

Protectorate.gov

There are sketch-style drawings of the triumvirate, the most powerful parahumans on Earth Bet. I flip it open to find it is more of a reference guide for when it is okay to use powers. In the defense of others or on a Protectorate base under testing conditions seems to be where you are mostly in the clear. There are even two numbers to set up power testing. One local for Brockton Bay branch and one federal.

By the time I finish reading, Dad and James have made their way over to the back of the ambulance. The pastor is making her way into the graveyard.

James offers me a wide smile and an appraising look at the pamphlet I chose to hold on to. The other pamphlets are being held down by the flute on the bumper. "Alright, time for me to pack up. We are about to head back out. Don't forget to make an appointment. It's especially important after fainting and a fall." He says.

"Don't worry about that. The first thing I am going to do once we get home is call in for one. Thank you for your time. Hopefully, this turns out to be a complete false alarm." My dad responds. "Taylor, are you ready to go?"

"Um, I want to say bye to mom first."

"We can do that, but not too long. Grab your stuff. We need to get you out of the cold soon."

I touch my hair realizing it's colder than I thought. I hardly noticed because of how thick and warm the clothes I am wearing are.

I gather my flute and pamphlets and put the pamphlets in my pockets. Then wave bye to the paramedics and we make our way back over to the cemetery after a quick stop at the car to put away everything. Usually, dad would walk in front of me but he is not letting me out of his sight now. It's comforting to know he can still worry about me.

When we arrive at Mom's grave Dad is brought up short just like I was. The grave blanket of white chrysanthemums has been pulled aside revealing the stone marker. The marker looks like someone took a power washer to it.

Dad kneels down and runs a hand over the stone. Shifting attention he plucks one of the chrysanthemums off of the blanket. As soon as he does the entire blanket bursts into motes of light. The motes fly toward me. Circle around me like a stream of stardust then fade away as they touch me.

Level advanced, State: Qi Condensation, First Stage

I feel the new energy permeating my body. It's like I drank four cups of coffee all at once. Just without the jitters. The pop-up fades away just as quickly as it appeared.

"Taylor!" Dad calls out. "Are you alright?"

Second time in the day I have heard that. I need to stop worrying him, especially here. "I'm okay— just—."

From behind me, I hear the pastor speak. "Yeah, how about, no. Let's all go back inside while I call the PRT. You just got hit with some weird light. This looks like it may have been some kind of trap. We were all convinced the thing earlier was her gaining powers. But this is completely separate."

"I uh, …"

"I agree", my dad cuts in. "Say bye Taylor, we are going back inside." He stands up from where he had still been kneeling and brushes off his hands. The look on his face is the most determined I have seen in a long time.

I sigh, somehow I am going to have to convince them not to call the PRT. There is no need to waste anyone else's time on me.

I know that voicing any of that will make my task harder so I just turn back to Mom's grave and say bye.

As we make our way back into the kitchen on the side of the Church Dad wraps an arm around my shoulders gently hugging me. I lean into him. It means so much that he is trying to be supportive but it leaves me wondering what to do to keep him engaged. His depression after Mom died did not leave me impressed with him.

The pastor quickly leaves the room, excusing herself to make the call before I can get a word in.

"Taylor, are you sure you're okay?" Dad asks.

I rub my face and sit down at the table. "I guess that there is no point in tiptoeing around it. Everyone seems to know already." I grouse. "I'm a parahuman and whatever that light was, it made me stronger. It wasn't anything to worry about." I grab one of the oranges and start peeling it. I don't usually eat when I am nervous but it seems like a good way to put some time to think into my responses.

He looks confused for a moment before I see a lightbulb go on behind his eyes. "I see the connection, they are both mom's, but why the flute and why the grave blanket?"

Now that he mentions it I can feel the flute, like an itch at the back of my mind. I tug on the feeling to get it to stop and my hand moves in response. Opening and closing again around the flute. There is no fanfare or flash of light. One second my hand is empty, the next I am holding it.

He frowns, seemingly shocked before shaking his head. I'm not much better off. Simply staring at the flute. Now that it's in my hands again I can feel the power flowing through it. I don't know what would happen if I were to play it. But I can tell it would be noticeable.

"Status." I notice in passing that many of the numbers on my status have increased. I place the flute into the inventory. The itch goes away but I feel like I could call it out again without any effort. "I guess the flute is because it's special to me. I've been thinking about taking it up to learn for a while. Um… no idea why the grave blanket. Maybe because it was close to Mom?" I offer dad half of the orange, he accepts it. "So, what are we telling the Protectorate?"

"I suppose the truth. Your ability did something weird. You can be as vague or detailed as you want to. Although I'm curious how it works as well. You didn't seem ready to talk about things yet, so that can be put aside. I want you to know that I'm here for you whenever you need me." He offers me his hand across the table. I take it and hold on tightly.

"Thanks Dad, that means the world to me." I feel my eyes welling up just a little bit. But not enough to spill over and embarrass me. I let go of his hand and we sit in companionable silence finishing our snacks.

After a couple of minutes the pastor returns looking pensive. "Taylor, the PRT operator wants to talk to you. I left the phone laying on my desk. Are you okay speaking to them?"

I nod and she leads me to her office. Dad remains behind. The office is extremely cozy. Her desk is a squat wood thing and she has a big fluffy chair. There is a bookshelf dominated by hymnals. The pastor goes around her desk and picks up the phone.

"Hello?... Yes, this is Pastor Smith. I have her with me. Okay. One second." She switches her focus to me putting the phone back on the desk. "Taylor, they want to make sure you're safe. I'm going to wait in the dining room with your father." She gestures for me to sit down in her chair and then leaves.

I pick the phone up and steel myself for an interrogation. "Hello?" I ask.

"Hello, this is Marissa of the PRT non-emergency hotline. May I ask who I am speaking with? First name or an alias only please, as it is believed you may have recently obtained powers."

"Umm, I'm Taylor and I did gain powers. But everything is okay, you don't have to send anyone."
    "I understand, are you able to speak freely right now?"

"Yes, the Pastor left me alone in her office. No one is around at all."

"That's good, Taylor. Can you walk me through what happened today? Starting from when you woke up. It may be relevant."

I tell her everything including the first dream I had about mom when I woke up. But again leave out the second one.

"I'm sorry to hear about the bullying. If you are comfortable giving me the girl's name I can have her discreetly investigated. We want to nip any issues in the bud."

"There are actually three girls. The one who tried to mess with me today is Madison Clements. There is Sophia Hess and Emma Barns. I would be so grateful if you could help. The school has been ignoring me. We go to Winslow High School."

"Please keep in mind that we will be attempting to keep your identity private. We will most likely have a plainclothes officer speak with the principal of the school but only in general about an ongoing investigation. Do you think that you can hold out while we work? If not, I can see about having you removed from the school for a month."

The feeling of peace from my dreams comes back to me. And with it a phrase I once heard. 'Look for the helpers.' I know that I have found one. With a serene expression on my face and a smile in my heart, I answer her. "No, just knowing that something is being done is enough. I can wait."

"Now Taylor, I need to tell you a vehicle has been dispatched. You do not need to wait on it. They are going to make sure that everyone is okay and check the area for anomalies but I have already sent them a message explaining in general what happened. So it's up to you if you wait on them or not. Do you want to stay on the line with me?"

"No thanks, it has been a long day. I just want to go home."

"I understand, before I let you go, please consider coming in for power testing. If your ability is unruly the PRT can help you. We would give you a comprehensive breakdown of what we find out about your power a little like blood test results. We would also compensate you for your time. And you would even get to meet a hero."

"I'll talk to my dad about it. I would love to meet a hero!"

"Okay, I'm going to let you go now. Stay safe and enjoy the holidays."

"Thanks, bye." With that, the not-so-bad interrogation ends. I hang up the phone and make my way back to the dining room. I hear dad and the pastor speaking in low voices but I can't understand them. As I make my way into the room I see that dad has his head bowed and hands clasped. He is praying for our safety.

I wait for him to finish before speaking. "Hey, dad ready to go? The PRT is sending out a van to check on the area but the operator said that we could leave."

He pinches the bridge of his nose and rubs his face. "Yeah, it has been a long day already. I'll be glad to be home."

The pastor sees us out to the parking lot and offers a cordial goodbye. The ride back is quiet at first but eventually my mind comes around to a question. "Dad, does this mean I have to tell Doctor Begg that I'm a Parahuman?"

"Yes, it does. Doctor Begg needs to know so that if she prescribes medicine she can avoid things that impair your judgment as much as possible. We don't want you loopy and throwing fireballs."

"Oh before I forget the operator lady asked me if I wanted to come in for power testing. She said that I would get to meet a hero and get paid for my time. I kind of want to do it. But I don't know if they will let me meet a hero. "

"Alright, I will set that up for you too. Why wouldn't you be able to meet the hero?"

"Because I can see everyone's name above their heads if I want."

"Hum, maybe don't tell them about that one. Secret identities are a big deal. A power that lets you cut through them…"

"I can leave it off but I'm curious about the limits of it. I want to meet a hero but knowing how my powers work is more important."

"If you're sure."

We lapse back into silence for the rest of the ride home. After we arrive and get settled in the living room dad starts making the calls. While he is on the phone with Doctor Beggs' office I again think status.

Taylor Hebert

State: Qi Condensation, First Stage

Hp 25

Qi 5

Body 6

Mind 6

Soul 2

Meridians 2

Core 0

Dao Heart 0

Free points 1

I'm still wondering what Meridians, Core, and Dao Heart are, but it is neat to see that most of my numbers went up. I think I'll save the free point until after I talk to the specialist in the PRT. With that decided, I dismiss the status box and listen to dad finish setting up my appointment with the doctor through the automated system.

He completes the call and settles his attention back to me. "The earliest they can get you in is the day after tomorrow. I set it up for nine a.m. I'm going to put the PRT on speaker so we can make the call together. They might ask to speak to you privately. If they do, I will go upstairs and wait for you to tell me to come back down. Are you ready?"

December 28, 2010, Tuesday.

The drive across the forcefield bridge is nerve-racking but so worth it for the view over the water. I'm a little afraid they will just turn off the bridge, but I know the thought is silly. The sight of the Protectorate headquarters sends my heart into overdrive. The beautiful translucent green dome covering the oil rig is such a sight. Knowing I am going to be walking the same halls as my heroes… It's too much. I can't keep a grin from stretching across my face.

When we arrive at our designated parking spot a Monica Hughes is waiting for us. She asks for dad's ID, then offers both of us disposable masks.

"Sir, your alias for today will be Shai. Miss, yours will be Hera. We have a meeting room set up nearby. Please save any questions until we are in private."

We take an elevator up from the parking garage. Once we step out again it's to the view of the forcefield from the inside. The green bubble extends out past the catwalk we are on just far enough away that I can't touch it. The ocean looks strange from here, more gray than blue. We follow Miss Hughes to a room situated separately from the main span of buildings. She waves us inside with a professional smile.

The room is cozy, there are two fold-out tables laid out in the shape of an L. One has two fresh-smelling boxes of donuts and a metal pan of pizza. Along with an assortment of things needed to eat, cups for the soda, disposable plates, spoons, etc. The other table has several stacks of paperwork.

Miss Hughes gestures to the food, "This is for us, we never know how long these interviews will last. Before we begin, I have been asked to confirm Hera's ability to know names. Could you please tell me mine? First and last."

"Your name is Monica Hughes. How come the Protectorate wanted me to leave that ability on? It's super weird knowing everyone's name."

"Very good, please call me Sergeant Hughes. I'm the Wards liaison. I know you were looking forward to meeting a hero so I have some good news, Dauntless has agreed to be here for your testing. We wanted to test that ability as soon as we could because you will be expected to use it on Dauntless."

My jaw nearly drops. I get to meet Dauntless! My dad mentioned Dauntless in passing once and I had to look him up. He is a hometown hero.

Sergeant Hughes chuckles. "Don't get too starstruck. He enjoys interacting with his fans more when they can form coherent sentences. Now let's get this paperwork out of the way. So you can get to the fun part."

/\

Note to self: Do not for any reason out a Protectorate parahuman. It ends badly for everyone. The examples Sergeant Hughes gave along with the steep fines and jail time is more than enough to convince me I got the wrong power. I nearly miss a step as I get a new pop-up. The blue bubble remains mostly translucent but the words are just bright enough to see.

Save note?

Do not for any reason out a Protectorate parahuman.

I think 'no' at the box and it disappears. Dad shoots me a concerned look. But we keep moving without saying anything. Sergeant Hughes keeps up the tour guide persona that she has had on for the last fifteen minutes.

"Now for my favorite part of the tour. The shield generator room." The room we enter is dome-shaped with the shield rising out of the floor. The frosted glass appearance is even stronger here than outside. The green color is also crisper. "Sorry, the generator is a trade secret so they won't let us inside to see it, but here you get the chance to touch the forcefield." Suiting action to speech she places her left hand on the forcefield and starts to make a circuit of the room.

I follow her example but the moment I touch the field a spark jumps off of it and flows into me. Through my connection, I feel it settle into the flute. When nothing else happens I simply take my hand away and wait for the dreaded words.

"Are you alright," dad whispers?

"Yes, I have a new power now."

He eyes the forcefield and mutters, "Oh goody." Then we both hurry to catch up with Sergeant Hughes.

She is waiting on the opposite side of the room by a door that has a keypad. As she types in the code, she says, "This room is the replica tinker lab. You get to see all the tools used by Armsmaster. There is even a replica of one of his third-generation suits to look at."

This room is much cooler than everything else she has shown us. There are rows of tools that look purpose-built. And various projects in half-finished states. The clean lines and glowing everything makes it feel like a real Tinkers lab. The only thing throwing it off is that everything is behind glass. Even the replica suit she told us about. I understand why it's not, but I had hoped this room would be more interactive.

"Alright, Hera this was the last stop on the tour. Next is testing lab two. We would use testing lab one but someone destroyed all the gel targets."

On entering the lab I see gym equipment everywhere. There is a treadmill with a hose and mask attached to some medical equipment. There are barbells set up in a line with weights ranging from very high to ridiculous. The room itself is as large as a basketball court. Fully half of it is covered in advanced-looking technology. There is also a group of scientists along with Dauntless. Dauntless and one of the scientists break off from the crowd, the woman Kelly Martin, reaches me first with her hand outstretched. I take it and give her a firm handshake. Dauntless hangs back looking cool in his Greek-style gold and white armor. He doesn't have his arclance or shield on today.

"Hello Hera, it's nice to meet you. We were just going over the forms that you filled out this morning. Your powers seem to be some of the most regimented we have ever seen. Thanks to our diverse cast over there." She points a thumb at the group of scientists. "And with special thanks to Dauntless for telling us what Qi Condensation and Core mean in Chinese mythology. We believe that a few of your questions are answerable. As the lead, I'll be presenting our current understanding of your power which may evolve as we work today." While Miss Martin has monopolized my attention, Dauntless has moved past us and is having a quiet conversation with dad.

"As far as we can tell, you are what is referred to in mythology as a Cultivator. You take in energy called Qi, circulate it through channels in your body called Meridians and then condense it in your body to perform superhuman feats of mental acuity, physical strength, or exotic effects. At least that is the hypothesis based on only what you have written.

"Dao Heart is the path you set for yourself in life. A Core is what it sounds like. The center of your being will form a Core once you have condensed enough Qi. The oddest thing about your power is the way it presents information. Most people only get feelings like you did with the flute. Muscle twitches and new thought patterns. Not their own statistical breakdown. Your power is presenting itself like a video game. In particular Massive Multiplayer Online games."

"Um, I have only been to an arcade once. I get the meaning of the name Massive Multiplayer Online games. But I don't know how it connects back to my power."

"Oh… suffice to say, the stat block, character view, and inventory systems are the same across most of the genre and they look similar to what you have described and drawn for us."

"Okay, and before we start I discovered two new powers today." The entire room goes dead silent at my proclamation. "I learned that my power will take notes if I ask it to. And I got a power from touching the forcefield in the generator room."

Miss Martin beams like I just told her that I got an A+ in my World Issues class. She claps her hands and says, "Marvelous! If that's everything we should start."

Testing goes by fast after that. I find out no matter how much of a person I can see, I always see their name. Even if they are on the other side of a brick wall and all I can see is a shoe. I finally get properly introduced to Dauntless. He is soft-spoken, his real name is Shawn Wú. He is shocked when I tell him that my power registers him as a parahuman and cultivator in foundation establishment second stage. I don't understand why but apparently he had a big argument with his grandmother when she insisted he was a cultivator. But he also seems relieved that she was right.

I'm not super strong. No big surprise there. A limit to the inventory seems to be that I must be able to lift the object I want to place in it. The best surprise is when I am asked to put a book on physics into my inventory.

Would you like to view the table of contents?

Yes?

Classical Electrodynamics

by John David Jackson

Select chapter #

My power comes with an e-reader! A map of Brockton bay is found but I don't get a minimap when I add it to my inventory. Too bad that sounded useful.

Then it is finally time for me to test what the flute can do. I summon it to my hand and get set up pointed at a wall that I am assured faces over the open ocean. A gel target had been placed in my line of fire before I got set up. I place the flute to my lips and play a single note. I feel the Qi leaving my body to power a short field that pops up around the target. I still have some awareness of the field and it feels like if I had more Qi I could reinforce it.

I check my status and see that I am sitting at two out of five Qi. I put the flute back away into my inventory. The scientists have me call all-clear. Then one of them does the same thing I would do to investigate a parahuman phenomenon.

He takes a rubber fire poker and pokes the field twice. When nothing happens he lays his hand on it. Then slaps it gently. The last is too much for the field and it fails. He notes down something on his clipboard and gives me a thumbs up. Then goes back to join the group.

"Alright Hera, that was the last thing we are testing for today. We will compile the results and do some deeper research for you. You will probably be able to pick up the info packet a few days before school starts up. It will have your check inside. You can be paid for testing once a year. However, you can come back in for testing anytime that you can demonstrate a new power or every two months. Now we're going to get started on the analysis. I leave you in Dauntlesses capable hands." Miss Martin gestures behind me then also joins the huddle of scientists.

I turn to see that Sergeant Hughes, Dauntless, and Dad are all waiting for me by the door. "So what's next?" I ask, joining them.

"If you're up for it I can pitch the Wards," Dauntless says.

"I'm sorry but, no. Maybe later once I get to know my powers better."

"Alright, I won't push but please don't go out trying to be a hero without support. It's dangerous work. In that case how about some free merch instead? I have some first edition stuff in my office."

The trip home is fun. Dad and I sing along with some rock and roll music station. I'm ecstatic about my new hoodie and backpack.

January 10, 2011, Monday.

I've been distracted ever since this past Friday. According to the research done by Miss Martin, I might get struck with metaphysical lightning that erases my very soul. Assuming I get strong enough.

I barely notice when a girl my age starts to fall on the bus. I reach out and help her without a thought. Catching her before she hits her head on my seat. I break out of my introspection when she sits down beside me. She holds eye contact with me for a minute. Her storm gray siren eyes are mesmerizing. She says 这人是我的 (You are now mine)

I don't understand a word of it. But I assume she is thanking me so I give her a firm nod. Seemingly satisfied, she faces forward and gets on her phone letting me get back to my rumination.

At school, I make my way to the lockers oblivious to my surroundings. I swing my new Dauntless book bag off my shoulder and notice something stinks. Thinking no more of it I unlock the locker and open it. I nearly retch immediately the weak smell from before is now overpowering.

Someone grabs the back of my head and slams me into the locker beside mine. While my head is spinning I hear a shout of 她是我的 (She's mine) followed by a loud POP. Then the screaming starts along with hooting from older boys. I turn to see Sophia on the ground with her knee bent the wrong direction. The girl from the bus is standing over Sophia and for the first time I hear her speak English. "Keep your hands to yourself," she says to Sophia.

I turn my overlay on so that I can get her name.

Elizabeth Liu

State: Parahuman

She approaches me. "Hey, are you okay? Let's get you to the nurse's office. Do you know where it is? Sorry, it's my first day."

"Um, yeah. One sec let me…" I shake my head a little and it stops spinning. I turn off my overlay as well. I look between the three demanding my attention. It would not be the first time that Emma got someone to pretend to be my friend but something about a broken leg just screams this one is not a fake. Between the locker and Elizabeth, I much prefer Elizabeth. We make our way out of the circle of people that has formed. They step out of the way without prompting.

Elizabeth takes one of my hands and holds it lightly and begins to chatter at me. "I just moved down from Idaho. I'm glad that I already made a friend. I was afraid to be alone here. Do you think they're going to suspend me? I hope they don't. I got expelled from my last school because a boy kept talking nasty to me and pinching my butt, so I broke his nose. I'm really looking forward to going to the library here in the city. Did you know it's the largest one in the state? Maybe we could meet up there one weekend?"

After a second I notice she has stopped talking and is looking up at me expectantly. "Uh, sure sounds like a nice plan. My name is Taylor by the way."

"Oh! I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Elizabeth. We're here." She lets go of my hand and holds open the door. Nurse Evelien looks sad to see me again.

"Hey Taylor, it's been a while since you've come to visit me. Is everything okay?"

"I think I'm okay, Sophia slammed my head into one of the lockers. I made a new friend, meet Elizabeth. Oh uh, you might want to get a bed set up. Sophia has a broken leg."

She palms her face. "You two go wait in my office. I'll go take care of this."

We cross the room past the four beds and giant medicine cabinet. Nurse Evelien's office is a cramped thing with just enough room for her desk, chair, and two seats for students. I close the door behind us.

I fall into one of the chairs. Only now does what I saw out in the hallway sink in. Sophia is a parahuman as well. I wonder what her power does. They keep breaking into my stuff so I bet that is how. She is probably some small-time villain. It doesn't matter, the PRT is already investigating. I can just add it to a pile of damnable evidence.

"So come here often?" Elizabeth asks. "It's just the nurse seems to know you by name. That can't be good."

"Yeah, I've been here a time or three. Sophia doesn't usually hit me as hard as she did today. But she likes to trip me while I am walking down stairs."

Elizabeth coughs into her fist. "Sorry, want me to get the other leg?"

I narrow my eyes at her. "If you're going to be my new friend you need to learn restraint."

"Is that a candy? Joking aside, that was me being restrained. Please keep me anyway?"

There is a commotion outside the door and it is flung open. Principal Blackwell is standing there slightly disheveled and growling in anger. It would be intimidating if she did not weigh ninety-five pounds and have a bowl cut. She points at me and in a guttural voice says, "My office. Now!"

Elizabeth stands up with me and follows us out. As we're going down the hall she catches up and holds my hand again. It's rather nice having someone be there for me again. Even if she is almost a head shorter than me. When we make it to the office the secretary offers us a very pointed look from behind her desk but doesn't speak up. Making our way past her, the principal opens the door to her office.

The defining characteristics of the office are the colors brown and red. Brown leather chairs, jet black desk, red carpet, and a red bookcase with brown books on it. Principal Blackwell gestures for us to be seated and goes around to rummage in one of the drawers on her desk. She comes back up with three sheets of paper. She puts them on a clipboard and hands them to me.

The top two sheets of paper are warnings against public displays of affection. The third one is a standardized suspension for fighting. I take a pen off her desk and sign the first one. Then had the clipboard to Elizabeth. She signs both of the others and slides the clipboard back across the desk to Blackwell.

Principal Blackwell lets out a sigh of frustration. "I suppose you think that was amusing."

We both look on in confusion as Blackwell takes the suspension and tears it into strips before throwing it away.

"Double jeopardy. I'm not going to sign that again."

Now it is Blackwell's turn to look confused. "I let you stay because I felt Taylor could use the moral support. If you are going to cause a disturbance you can leave." She digs out another suspension form and slides it across the desk toward me.

"I'm not signing that at all. I haven't been in a fight."

She scoffs, "Taylor, I have five witnesses who saw what you did to Sophia's leg."

"You have five liars. Are you even going to ask Taylor what happened?" Elizabeth challenges.

Blackwell lets out another terrible frustration-filled sigh. "Well, let's hear it."

I tell her what happened, leaving out all knowledge of who might have caused that POP sound.

"So, you expect me to believe that one of my athletes just attacked you and left something disgusting in your locker."

"Well no, all you have to do is look in my locker."

"That's not going to tell me which student attempted to prank you. I need facts that can be backed up. Not willy-nilly accusations. Now, what am I going to do with you two? On the one hand, I have five witnesses that say Taylor is the one who attacked and hurt Sophia. On the other, I have a signed suspension form which is just as good as an admission. The school has a zero-tolerance policy for fighting. I should suspend all three of you. But how about just I.S.S. this time?

Elizabeth taps her cheek. "Hum, in school suspension or a continuation of my vacation? How long?

"Two weeks of I.S.S. or four if you choose out of school suspension" Blackwell responds.

I speak up again feeling like it's time I put my foot down. "No, I didn't do anything wrong so I won't be taking any punishment."

Blackwell grits her teeth for a moment then visibly relaxes. "Alright, I tried to be reasonable with you, Taylor. If you refuse punishment I'll just have to speak with your father. And have you decided, Elizabeth?

Oh yeah, I know exactly what I did so I'll take I.S.S.

There is a loud CRACK. I turn to see Nurse Evelien standing in Blackwell's doorway. If I thought Blackwell looked pissed, Nurse Evelien looks positively ready to breathe fire. I wonder how the doors of the school survive if this is the way the staff treats them. Nurse Evelien walks into the room and comes over to me with a cold compress and my Dauntless backpack. She hands both to me.
    "This is for the bump on your head. Now let's see your eyes." She does the same penlight test the paramedic did. "Good, you look okay. Now, I don't care who tells you to leave my office, you don't listen to them. You were under my supervision until I checked you out. Elizabeth, were you hurt in the fight?"

I can hear the smugness in her voice as Elizabeth says "No, not a bit."

"Okay, you two go wait in the lobby. I've already called your parents, they should be here soon. Principal Blackwell and I need to discuss boundaries."

We walk out to the vinyl seats in the secretary's area. It feels like I have been jerked around from one side of the school to the next. Sitting down, I open my mouth then close it a few times. Working up the courage to speak. Finally, the words come out.

"Thanks for helping me today, Elizabeth. You know they have been doing stuff like that for a year and a half but no one our age except for you helped. And I'm sorry I was snippy earlier when I said you need to learn restraint. I was talking to myself a little bit because I've been afraid of going off on them and doing worse than that."

She blushes a little as she replies, "It's okay I didn't take it personally." Mumbling and swinging her feet she continues, "Wouldn't be the first time I was told."

"I'm still having trouble imagining you hurting someone. You're tiny but fierce."

She titters and covers her mouth for a moment at that. "Thank you, Taylor. I don't like to hurt people but sometimes asking isn't enough." She takes her cellphone out of the pocket of her long skirt. "Hey Taylor, can I get a picture with you?"

"Oh, and what happens if asking isn't enough?" I try to banter.

Without missing a beat she replies, "Then I take pictures while you're not paying attention. Like this." There is a click from the phone's camera. She turns the screen for me to see.

I look a little worse for the wear. The frames of my glasses are bent, my black hair is mussed and there is a cut on my thin lips. But it's not bleeding. The oversized Dauntless hoodie I'm wearing makes me feel better about my body because I can't see it.
    "So can I take a picture with you?" Elizabeth asks again.

This time instead of trying to tease her I just say "Sure." After so long of not having friends it's a little odd having someone so far into my personal space. But I just grin and bear it. She may be leaning close but we don't touch making it easier. I watch as she changes her phone background from a beautiful tree drawing with flowers all colors of the rainbow to our smiling faces.
    Under her breath, I hear her mutter "New one next week."

I pretend not to have heard her. Dad walks into the office so I go to get my side of the story in before Principal Blackwell can confuse the issue. I tell him all about my new friend and how she helped me.

"Taylor, I might not be able to get you out of being punished." He says. "But I'll get it reduced as much as I can."

I nearly stomp my foot. I'm so annoyed those girls managed to get me in trouble. I know that it's not his fault so I restrain myself from the impulse. Instead I give him a hug. He returns it tightly before letting go.

The secretary clears her throat and we both look at her. "The principal is available now," she says.

"Wait out here Taylor I'll be back in a bit," dad says.

I wave him off and return to my seat beside Elizabeth. She turns to me with a nervous expression on her face. "So… I was wondering… Taylor, if after school today you would like to hang out with me? I asked my parents and they said it is okay either for you to come to my house or me to go to yours."

"Oh!" At first I'm not sure how to respond because it has been so long since anyone has visited. But after the moment of shock passes I say, "Let me ask my dad when he comes back out but I'm sure he will be okay with it."

She looks satisfied with this response and goes back to her phone for a minute before putting it away.

"So, won't your parents be worried about you hanging out with someone who you just met?" I ask.

"No, they know that I can take care of myself," she says with a wicked grin.

"Um, in that case, if he says yes, I would like you to come to my house."

Elizabeth seems to vibrate in place, her excitement clearly visible.

A knocking sound catches my attention, I look over at the door and see a man entering the room. He is wearing a nice suit and has out a little flip notebook. On his breast pocket is clipped a PRT badge. He walks over to speak to the receptionist.

Coming in directly behind him is a woman with coveralls half off and tied by the arms at her waist. She is wearing a t-shirt that says Nazi Punks Fuck Off, in bright pink letters. The woman is average height but she is extremely muscular. As soon as she sees Elizabeth the woman holds out her arms for a hug and nearly sprints across the room and grabs Elizabeth.

I hear Elizabeth's muffled voice. "Told you I'm fine mom. You're embarrassing me in front of my new friend."

Elizabeth's mom backs up giving her some room. "Young lady, what have I told you about fighting?"

I can hear Elizabeth rolling her eyes in her response. "Not when I'm wearing my long skirt. But mom, I couldn't just let them hurt her."

"And this time your punishment will be light. Because she is a good reason to break the rule. I want you to make three batches of peanut butter brownies." Elizabeth starts to smirk. "But I won't be doing the dishes. Your father will." The light smirk turns into a scowl.

Her mom turns to me. "And you young lady. How do you feel? Lizard Beth said the girl got you pretty good?"

Her caring tone of voice seems so at odds with her looks and the whiff of burnt metal I smell on her.

I smile at her but I also get a little misty eyed. "I'm fine, I was losing hope in people for a while but things are better. I fan my face. Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. It's just a few things happened over the past weeks. Yeah, things are looking up for me."

I see dad step out of Blackwell's office. He is extremely red in the face. And his agitation is showing in his movements. He keeps cracking his knuckles over and over. He visibly takes a deep breath and shakes out his hands before coming over.

"Mrs. Liu?" Dad asks.

"Yes?" Elizabeth's mother answers. "Oh! Mr. Hebert. Is this one yours? My little Lizzy was texting me before I got here wanting to spend time with her and get to know her better."

"Yep, Taylor is mi-"

"Excuse me, sorry to interrupt,'' says the PRT officer.

"It's fine, dad replies in a clipped tone. What do you need?"

"I noticed that the young ladies were here before me but I was hoping you would let me cut in line to speak to the principal. It's rather urgent."

"Ah, my daughter and I have already spoken to the principal so you will need to ask Mrs. Liu."

The PRT agent turns to her. Mrs Liu taps her cheek like I had seen Elizabeth do. "I'm sure you can't tell us anything about your meeting.

So I have one question: if you say yes you can go ahead. Is your meeting going to annoy her?"

The agent's voice is dripping with venom as he answers. "Oh, yes."

"Then be my guest." She makes a shooing motion and he obliges.

Mrs. Liu turns back to face dad. "Now where were we? Oh yes, I was telling you that I hope the girls get along and Lizzy wanted me to arrange a playdate for today."

Elizabeth drops her face into her hands.

Dad looks thoughtful a minute before responding. "I'm going to be home late today. Probably around ten and it would be good for Taylor to be out with a friend for a while. Heaven knows that empty house can be boring."

"Oh dear, I'm going to be running late as well. I'll be getting off work around eight and my husband doesn't stop seeing patients until five. Putting him home at about six. Two or three hours unsupervised. My oh my, what might they get into."

"Oh, I was going to give Taylor the choice of if she wants to stay today or come back in a few days. The nurse said she is fine but getting hit can ruin an entire day. Also I hope you don't mind but I negotiated their punishments down to one week I.S.S. Apparently Elizabeth volunteered for two weeks."

"Oh that was nice of you! In that case I don't need to stay and might be able to get home a little bit earlier than I thought!" She turns to us. "So girls, how do you want to work this? I'm thinking that Taylor comes to our house for dinner and I drive you back home once I get off work?"

"Mom, Mr. Hebert, is it okay if I go over to Taylor's instead?"

I shake my head yes with a pleading expression. "And dad, I want to stay at school today."

Dad shrugs and nods in agreement.

Mrs. Liu shakes her head yes and says, "Text me or dad when you want to be picked up. I'm going to leave a message for the principal but I think everything is settled to my satisfaction. See you tonight Lizzie! Love you. It was nice to meet you Taylor. Mr. Hebert, it's good to see you again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction when I was job hunting." She goes to speak with the secretary.

"Taylor, if you change your mind and want to come home early or if those girls mess with you again, call the D.W.A. and I will be right here to get you."

"Don't worry dad, I've got this. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Okay, and you will tell me how the rest of the day goes?"

"For sure dad, now get going or work will keep you even later."

He waves bye and leaves. Leaving just the secretary, myself, and Elizabeth.

The rest of the school day is uneventful. Maybe being stuck in the I.S.S. room will end up being a blessing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    moontheir4 likes this.
  2. Venyr4434

Venyr4434 Well worn.

Heavy Edit needed. All I see is a wall-o'-Fuckin-text!

And what da hell's </p> all about?

3. My_Game_Account

It means paragraph in the mark down. sorry bout that. I thought it would work give me a few minutes and I will have it fixed.

Venyr4434 likes this.
  4. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Those are HTML tags. Of course, this site posts based on BBCode, so...

5. My_Game_Account

Alright boss want to have another try? I think i got them all.

6. My_Game_Account

This site eats bbc code and spits out blocks of text that are not parsable. Any way fixed it if you want to give the story a try.

7. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

... if you can call that "fixed"...

Honestly, the issue with the site "eating BBCode," as you put it, is that you're not familiar with Xenforo's implementation of it -- which includes a number of nonstandard elements and formatting standards which don't match their HTML equivalents.

8. Ashenerden

Ashenerden Not too sore, are you?

I think a synopsis/summary and story tags are very important for determining how many readers will push that watch button. After the first chapter, chapter names and threadmarks would be crucial too.