1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunter Generations (Original)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by TotalAbsolutism, Jul 9, 2015.

1. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Look upon a land as cruel as it is vast... and it is very vast.

This is the world which has no name. It is endless, in all directions, and teeming with life. Least of which is humanity. The majority of animals are, if wild and dangerous, at least generally peaceful. Save for the greatest among them. The mighty Beasts that roam the world.

The smallest of their number can sustain a medium sized village for a full year. Even the largest citadel can manage well with a single annual hunt. If the greatest of their kind is brought low then it can tide over the people for nigh unto a decade. All resources come from the flesh of the Beasts.

There is no metal in the ground any more; the best materials are torn from the bones of Beasts. All burning fuels come from the juices of their various organs. Their hide makes for the best boat hulls and hut walls. Even their meat, prepared and cured, is the most nourishing sustenance available. Without regular hunts any village will ultimately perish.

Within every village there is a tale of a man or woman who once set out to find out how large the world is. None ever come back. In the distance there are always mountains and oceans and plains and deserts.

The world is as vast as it is cruel... and it is very cruel.

Savaro, the First
    The Choice
    The Road
    The Water
    The First
    The Skimmer

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. Threadmarks: Hunt Record
    TotalAbsolutism

Hunt Record

Burrower
    Characterized by a generally serpentine shape and an extremely tough hide. Often possess scales. Use tunneling through sand or stone as their main method of locomotion. High-value skeletons.

Climber
    Commonly four-limbed but can have upwards of twelve, often but not always bipedal. Frequently capable of moving as easily on all their limbs as on half their limbs. Strong muscles.

Digger
    Usually quadrapedal or hexapedal. Walk from place to place but like to bury themselves underground for unknown reasons. Can remain buried for long periods of time.

Flyer
    Often possesses at least one pair of wings although some have more esoteric methods. Uses flight as its primary form of locomotion but can be capable of surprisingly fast movements while landed. Extremely good sight.

Floater
    Possess air bladders or a wide surface area that they use to drift on the surface of the ocean. Frequently incapable of controlling their own direction but those with locomotive capacity are also usually in possession of ranged attacks. Vulnerable to parasites.

Fortress
    Massive, totally immobile beast. Has grown so large it cannot move its own ponderous bulk. Lifespan is unknown. Develops extremely tough skin and cultivates vast numbers of parasites. Frequently possesses devastating ranged capabilities.

Leaper
    Usually bipedal but occasionally tripedal; often possesses only two or three limbs. Moves by launching itself long distances in short bursts. Commonly in possession of camoflague ability.

Skimmer
    A previously unknown type of Beast encountered during the first crossing. Common body types and abilities unknown. Possessed internal bladders of lighter-than-air gas that enabled it to stand upon the surface of the ocean it inhabited.

Swimmer
    Shape highly variable, but fully aquatic varieties are very rarely seen. Most require air, but not very frequently. Tend to stick near the surface.

Runner
    Usually quadrapedal. Sometimes extremely fast, sometimes simply rather quick; but main characteristic is that they never stop moving. Has few parasites as a result. Smallest type of Beast.

Walker
    Slow and ponderous. Number of legs, or possession of legs at all, variable. Name sometimes not very accurate. Possesses quite a few parasites. Greatest size variance.

BeastSeen (Life)Killed (Life)Seen (Total)Killed (Total)
    Burrower    
    Climber    
    Digger    
    Flyer    
    Floater    
    Fortress    
    Leaper    
    Skimmer1111
    Swimmer    
    Runner    
    Walker    

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: Hunter Record
    TotalAbsolutism

Hunter Record

First Generation
    Savaro
    Male Hunter

Good Feet
    Good Dodging
    Good Sprinting
    Average Kicking
    Good Guts
    Good Courage
    Good Endurance
    Average Wrestling
    Good Hands
    Average Craftsmanship
    Good Martial Skill
    Good Grip
    Exceptional Brains
    Good Planning
    Good Memory
    Good Observation
    Good Face
    Average Motivation
    Average Teaching
    Average Deception

Bonds
    Crew - Minor
    Cousins - Minor
    Captain - Minor

Gear
    Bone Weapon - 1
    Chitin Weapon - 1
    Chitin Climbing Gear - 2
    Chitin Armour - 2
    Healing Salve - 2
    Burning Salve - 1
    Preserving Salve - 1

Beast Kills: 1
    Children: 0

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  4. Threadmarks: World Record
    TotalAbsolutism

World Record

Citadel
    Your home; the mightiest city in all the world. Built on the cusp of the land where stone turns to dirt, where mountain turns to plain, where all kinds of Beasts may pass. Made with massive walls that can repel many of the lesser kinds of creature. Somewhat selective about whom may dwell within it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  5. Threadmarks: The Choice
    TotalAbsolutism

You are a hunter.

The child of a hunter, who was the child of a hunter, back through the generations to your forefather's forefathers and beyond. Hunting the grand Beasts is all your family has ever known. You're good. Too good, perhaps, for your own father was as prolific as he was talented.

Too many of your siblings have survived to adulthood, including your eldest brother. Tradition says that there is only ever one hunter in a village. They may have some assistants, but your family is quite large. Your eldest sister and eldest brother will remain here in the grand stone haven of Citadel. You must go elsewhere.

There are many towns which are in dire need of a hunter. You chose to travel...

[X] South; to the sea. A stilted town built on the coastal flats of the flood plains. Diggers and Floaters and Walkers and Swimmers can be found here.
    [X] East; to the mountains. A rocky town carved into the side of a mountain. Flyers and Burrowers and Climbers and Leapers abound these stone hills.
    [X] West; to the desert. A mobile town that shifts from oasis to oasis with its herd of lesser beasts. Walkers and Burrowers and Diggers and Flyers stalk these lands.
    [X] North; to the great plains. A peaceful town built on dirt and farming. Walkers, Diggers, Runners and Fortresses are found in vast numbers on this endless rolling ocean of dirt.
    [X] Far, far North; to the frigid wastes. Swimmers, Diggers, Flyers and Fortresses are the main prey in this harsh environment.
    [X] Far, far South; across the sea and beyond. You know not whence you may end up, or what kind of beasts may roam there. If you even survive the journey.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

7. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

[X] South; to the sea. A stilted town built on the coastal flats of the flood plains. Diggers and Floaters and Walkers and Swimmers can be found here.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  8. BlackTitanOdin

BlackTitanOdin I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X] Far, far South; across the sea and beyond. You not not whence you may end up, or what kind of beasts may roam there. If you even survive the journey.

9. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

[X] Far, far South; across the sea and beyond. You not not whence you may end up, or what kind of beasts may roam there. If you even survive the journey.

10. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

11. Dark Ness

Dark Ness I trust you know where the happy button is?

12. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Mystery box! The option least likely to help and most likely to be chosen!

rcnr and Anomen like this.
  13. BlackTitanOdin

I come from SB. If there is two things that I have learnt from Spacebattles, it is the mystery box is always a good choice and there is no such thing as too much firepower.

14. TotalAbsolutism

Well, the main difference with the 'Mystery Box' is that you do actually have to survive the journey. That's not just fluff text.

Anomen likes this.
  15. redaeth

It'll be fun! And a hella resume.

kinny and BlackTitanOdin like this.
  16. Anomen

Anomen Talk to the Hand

Why is everyone voting for the option that is explicitly the most likely to kill us? I would vote for North, but since that has no votes I'll cast mine for the second largest option:

17. BlackTitanOdin

I come from SB, We run at things trying to kill us.

18. Korburss

Korburss Know what you're doing yet?

[X] North; to the great plains. A peaceful town built on dirt and farming. Walkers, Diggers, Runners and Fortresses are found in vast numbers on this endless rolling ocean of dirt.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  19. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

20. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

[X] East to the mountains
    Three dimensional hunting at its finest. Keep one eye on the sky above you and one on the dirt beneath your feet. Also one on the land around you. ... Good luck with that.

21. Firedon

Firedon Experienced.

I like the sea, so let's go there.
    Just, there's something about the setting that bugs me. The whole, one village one hunter thing, while odd is okay. But we are specifically from the largest city in the world. Seems a bit weird to apply it there as the need should be a good deal greater, right? There could be more hunter families in the Citadel, but it makes it sound as if it also only has the one active hunter.

22. TotalAbsolutism

Well, actually, there's your father, your uncle and your aunt; along with all their kids. The latter two only have a couple of kids, so they're fine, but your father is... uh... rather prolific. The village will tolerate only so many hunters; while they're important they're also useless for most of the year as they spend all that time training and don't really learn any skills other than how to murder giant monsters.

So you and most of your siblings are being told to head off to seek your fortunes. It's fairly common, actually, when a particular family gets successful enough.

Dark Abstraction and Winged One like this.
  23. Firedon

Firedon Experienced.

Ah, that clears it up nicely. It just sounded to me as if there'd only be one Hunter in the Citadel.

24. kinny

kinny Versed in the lewd.

I'll answer your question with a question. Why are people shying away from the most adventerous option in an adventure quest? I mean, I know QQ has a penchant for defensive play, but come on. Don't you want to travel and explore a bit before hunkering down?

Let's head to the coastline and greet the waters with yearning eyes. Let us set sail across the great pond and land in territories unknown. Let us carve a path of Beast carcasses from here to Terra Incognita. Let us meet new people, explore new cultures, maybe even find new types of Beasts. Let's go on an adventure.

25. Firedon

Firedon Experienced.

Fuck, that's tempting kinny.
    Argh. I think I'll stay with my vote but it's hard.

26. BlackTitanOdin

Firedon, Choose The SPACEBATTLES option. Go Big Or Go Home.

27. redaeth

Vote is tied.

Vote Tally : Hunter Generations (Original) | Questionable Questing
    ##### NetTally 1.1.9
    No. of Votes: 5
    Darkened
    Anomen
    Bailey Matutine
    BFldyq
    Firedon
    No. of Votes: 5
    BlackTitanOdin
    Dark Ness
    kinny
    redaeth
    Xicree
    No. of Votes: 1
    Korburss
    [X] East to the mountains
    No. of Votes: 1
    Guile

Total No. of Voters: 12

28. Anomen

Anomen Talk to the Hand

Korburss, Guile
    Do you guys want to change your votes?Please don't pick mystery box, please don't pick mystery box ...

29. BlackTitanOdin

No Pain No Gain People.

30. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable