1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I've had one of those infected USB chargers connected to my PC for a while

Discussion in 'General' started by Guardian Box, May 2, 2023.

1. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Does anyone know of any tools I could use to purge their influence from my system?

Or just what I should do in general?

ArsMagna1337 likes this.
  2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Back everything up and then do a complete factory wipe.

FTR2017 and Guardian Box like this.
  3. Guardian Box

Like, all of my separate hard drives? Or just re-formatting my C drive and reinstalling windows would be enough?

I have A LOT of stuff to back up, I'd probably need to buy a data bank or something if I wanted to save all of it

4. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

You’ll need to reformat every drive attached and scan all the files. You can do it with one spare drive.

Make sure you’re doing it from a clean install.

Secondly, the target of choice seems to be personal data and passwords nowadays. If you can you may want to reset your passwords after the scan.

What made you think you have a corrupted USB charger connected anyway?

Also, if it is a corrupted USB port, the target is generally smart phones and the like. So you may want to reset your phone as well.

Guardian Box and Least Devotee like this.
  5. Guardian Box

Thanks for the reply.
    I may have made some assumptions to be fair.

I've had a charger connected to my usb port for a while, and had a problem with a command prompt window appearing for a fraction of a second before disappearing on my screen for a while as well. I may have conflated the two as being connected recently, and may have panicked just a little bit.

I did several full scans for malware with various programs, found some little things that had been dealt with so far. Did some more involved research, and found that the issue was most likely started by, well, bloated autostart routines.

Downloaded a decent program dealing with autostart programs and registry keys, disabled things that were set to run even if I had uninstalled them years ago, and so far had no problems of a command window popping up for an eyeblink doing god knows what.

tl;dr, I thought it was malware doing nefarious things with my system, turns out it was most likely just system bloat fucking things up.

Probably. Hopefully. Will come back to bitch if the problem comes back.

(to be fair, formatting and a clean reinstall would have fixed the issue as well)

FTR2017 and wasprider like this.