• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Is The Sock Puppet Warning Banner a Glitch? Or Sitewide?

ExquisiteTopHat

Lined with Tinfoil
I seem to be getting a banner about making sock puppet accounts, which is quite odd, considering that I have never made anything of the sort.
As I cannot find any staff announcements on this, nor can I locate a staff communication forum, I am posting in the bugs section, because while there are multiple fellows with Top Hats for Avatars, I do not move in any of the same circles as they seem to. As such, I must confess confusion upon the matter.

If the banner is sitewide, you may wish to reformat it to something's slightly less directed and accusatory, or put a link to a thread elaborating on the matter within the banner.

As it is, my heart skipped a few beats upon seeing the banner.

If it is actually directed at me, I would appreciate a conversation/PM on the matter.

Thank you for your patience and hard work.

I seem to be getting a banner about making sock puppet accounts, which is quite odd, considering that I have never made anything of the sort.
As I cannot find any staff announcements on this, nor can I locate a staff communication forum, I am posting in the bugs section, because while there are multiple fellows with Top Hats for Avatars, I do not move in any of the same circles as they seem to. As such, I must confess confusion upon the matter.

If the banner is sitewide, you may wish to reformat it to something's slightly less directed and accusatory, or put a link to a thread elaborating on the matter within the banner.

If it is actually directed at me, I would appreciate a conversation/PM on the matter.

Site wide as tehelgee can attest.

Incidentally, I've received some hearsay of the supposed reason the banner was made - specifically, that a member contacted one of the admins about possible renaming of their account, but was under the mistaken impression that direct renames were forbidden (they are, in fact, allowed), and proposed an account abandonment solution (of the type disallowed in the banner) instead.
Supposedly - again, according to what I've heard - the member in question was then immediately banned before they could explain what they actually wanted any further.

Does that description have any basis in reality, and if it's at least vaguely a description (possibly a misleading one) of an actual incident, what did actually happen? (From your perspective, at least.)
The way it was described to me was so ridiculous that I was seriously considering immediately going ahead and complaining on their behalf, but I didn't want to make a special thread for it because I felt that I was too likely to just get banned for it myself (that and I didn't think I could help much either way... even assuming it wasn't all just an overblown exaggeration in the first place).

I do declare;
My hat is better than yours;
In all manners, shape and form;

I do declare;
My hat is better than yours;
In all manners, shape and form;

Ah, but mine is embellished with a feather. And, as everyone knows, a feather makes any hat more 'pimpin'.

Thus, my hat is more suited to QQ.

Edit: you may wish to replace that last semicolon with a period.

Incidentally, I've received some hearsay of the supposed reason the banner was made - specifically, that a member contacted one of the admins about possible renaming of their account, but was under the mistaken impression that direct renames were forbidden (they are, in fact, allowed), and proposed an account abandonment solution (of the type disallowed in the banner) instead.
Supposedly - again, according to what I've heard - the member in question was then immediately banned before they could explain what they actually wanted any further.

Does that description have any basis in reality, and if it's at least vaguely a description (possibly a misleading one) of an actual incident, what did actually happen? (From your perspective, at least.)
The way it was described to me was so ridiculous that I was seriously considering immediately going ahead and complaining on their behalf, but I didn't want to make a special thread for it because I felt that I was too likely to just get banned for it myself (that and I didn't think I could help much either way... even assuming it wasn't all just an overblown exaggeration in the first place).
That honestly sounds like it could apply to the "I'm doing it manually" case over on SV. Which if it is, well, if you're at all familiar with the case in question you realize what I really mean when I say I'm doing the Spock-eyebrow thing.

Only time I immediately banned someone in this kind of situation, they had actually created the alt account a while(months) back and had been using it.

That honestly sounds like it could apply to the "I'm doing it manually" case over on SV. Which if it is, well, if you're at all familiar with the case in question you realize what I really mean when I say I'm doing the Spock-eyebrow thing.
Only time I immediately banned someone in this kind of situation, they had actually created the alt account a while(months) back and had been using it.
It does sound like the member in question was under a misinterpretation similar to that of the SV case. They were not (supposedly) arguing much, however (and if they were, they would likely have realized that their idea was wrong).

And the incident was supposed to have happened within the last few weeks, if not days - i.e. shortly before the creation of the banner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back