1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a reason why pictures fail to load?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Existential_Bread, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Existential_Bread

Existential_Bread 2020 Survivor

I can see the pictures I'm trying to fix just fine in editor view, but when previewing or looking at it in the actual forum, they show up as broken.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Usually that means that the picture you're linking to isn't visible to the server, like if it requires a login or a special referrer.

You can try downloading them and rehosting on imgur or some other host that doesn't impose special requirements.

SixthRanger, wasprider and Ddmkm122 like this.
  3. da3monh0st3d

da3monh0st3d Эскапист

Sorry for the older thread bump, but I've been wondering much the same.

Would the reason they display in the editor would be their availability in your browser cache?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Yes, if you've got the image cached then the editor will see them but the server won't.

Ddmkm122 and da3monh0st3d like this.
  5. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

So I can put links to pictures but if try to post them they are broken why is that, do I need to get pictures from a specific site

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. da3monh0st3d

da3monh0st3d Эскапист

Cookies and other such things can affect availability of content. I suspect that while browser cache is one reason the editor display can work, a cache-miss with a successful local fetch (because you have the right cookies on whatever site it fetches from), might also provide with visible images in the editor.

Some sites, like Sankaku, do things like checking not only cookies but also HTTP referrer headers to determine whether someone should be allowed to see content. This makes Sankaku unusable for hotlinking content, for example, as QQ's referrer obviously won't match their expected values.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. killgore444

killgore444 Versed in the lewd.

Is there a way to upload images directly from your computer without having to place them on a 3rd party site?
    I was able to do so for my avatar, but haven't been able to figure out how to do so for general messages.

8. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Alas, there is not.

SixthRanger likes this.