• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Isekai Defenses [Original, Fantasy, Action, Harem, Shounen]

Should I Keep the Tags in the Title?

• Total voters
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Synopsis:

Do you know how mankind ends?
Take up your weapon and fight back the monster...
Synopsis and Cover

FebyA

Getting out there.
kLICIXA_xl.png

Synopsis:

Do you know how mankind ends?
Take up your weapon and fight back the monster invasion. The game that was boasted as the absolute hardest strategy game, [Isekai Defense].

I used to be the player who had accomplished everything in this game and reached the true end, but it was a disastrous end where everyone died except the protagonist, Raon Eva.

Determined to create a perfect happy end, I chose to transmigrate and found myself in the body of the protagonist as a child, surrounded by monsters in a burning village.

With only my strength of will and memories of invasion as a player--.

In order to save the people I love. I shall tear my enemies apart.

Available advanced chapters: up to ch 38.

Author's note:

If you like this, please give it a review.

Also, come join the Discord: https://discord.com/invite/xwqs7dKspx

Or check my SubscribeStar, Patreon, or Ko-fi for exclusive benefits and early chapters:

https://www.subscribestar.com/febya
https://www.patreon.com/febya
https://ko-fi.com/febya

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Ch 1 - How This World Ends
Join my Discord, SubscribeStar, Patreon, or Ko-fi for exclusive benefits, early chapters, and more.

Ch 1 - How This World Ends

"It's the final battle! Everyone, raise your weapon! We can win this."

I shouted at the top of my lungs.

Normally, shouting without mana was enough, but this much was needed given how noisy the sounds of monsters and explosions were.

"We-We did it!"

"We took out the giant!"

""OOOH!!""

Cheers rang across the battlefield.

Even the mages who looked so exhausted that they almost fell over and died went crazy and hugged whoever was next to them.

I smiled at the sight, but thanks to my multiple regression, I know we can't relax just yet.

"It's not over yet! Look!"

Cracks in the sky were still there, spitting out monsters from the otherworld.

We can only win if we do something about that crack.

"Hero party, rise up!"

It was the moment for humanity's strongest to force a breakthrough.

"We will separate from the army and close off the crack!"

Without complaint, the 6 of them gathered.

"I will open the path."

The paladin charged ahead.

"Huh, reckless as always. It can't be helped, I'll help."

The sword saint was next.

With every swing he took, a swarm of monsters was cut. Whether it's a bone dragon diving from the sky, a giant mollusk from underground, or even the seemingly endless swarm of monsters, nothing could block his path.

"What happened to strategy? Geez, this is why young people these days are."

The archmage shook his head and fired colorful magic.

The ground exploded, and the sky distorted as if cut by the wind. Then, a rain of meteors fell from the sky and killed the monsters without mercy. This scenery reminded me of the end of the world that the Seer prophesied.

"Fufu, don't worry. I'm here if anyone ever gets hurt. Plus, isn't it cute for men to be reckless sometimes?"

The saintess smiled softly.

A domain of light spread out beneath our feet, recovering our wounds in an instant.

"…"

The archer just silently pulled her bow.

With inhuman strength, she accurately one-shot all the giants and enemies on their weak points. Without me telling her, she chose to target enemies with high defense, high enough that none of us could kill them with ease. This must be the fruit of having fought together for years.

'It was a truly, really long time.'

Even if you don't count the regression… Was it more than 8 years?

"Raon Eva."

The last person called me.

A person with androgynous beauty that seemed out of this world.

"Hero."

"No."

He shook his head.

His golden hair, tied in a ponytail, swung with the movement.

"Rather than me, Raon, you are more deserving to be a hero."

"… I'm just a weak person who tried his best to survive."

"A weak person…"

The hero laughed.

"Say that again after you stopped killing monsters with bare fists. Aren't you killing more monsters than me even as we speak?"

"I just happen to know their weakness and my strength, that's all."

It was thanks to the countless regressions.

Was it called the save and load function?

The player sure has a weird naming sense about these things.

Then again, he's a being more trustworthy than anything I know.

["I will draw out a path."]

Then, a map appeared in my head, telling me which path to take and which enemy to engage. It was a path without a single error in sight.

'As expected of the player. Truly the best.'

"Everyone, charge!"

We moved ahead, killing only the monsters we needed while saving energy to prepare for an emergency.

In the end, we managed to arrive at our target while maintaining perfect condition.

"As expected of sir Raon."

"No, it's not me."

"I know. It's the player, right? Hahaha, you're still going on and on about that."

"It's true."

I feel sad to hear my partner's effort being dismissed.

Then again, it's a common occurrence.

Everyone didn't want to admit the existence of a higher being who played with their lives and treated them like games.

But, from what I've seen, the player is someone who treats this world more sincerely than anyone else.

"I believe you, Raon."

Except for the hero.

"People's heart turns darker every time they sinned. But Raon's heart is pure white."

A being who can see and judge evil.

"Raon never tells a lie, not even white lies."

"Hero…"

"So, after everything's over, I would like to meet them too. The player."

The hero smiled at me. That might be an impossible wish to fulfill, but…

"Yeah."

Me too.

There's nothing wrong with having a dream, right?

After protecting the hero for a long time, finally, the crack was closed.

"We did it!"

We all cheered.

"Now, all that's left is to clear the monsters, right?"

It was the moment the hero said that.

The sky shakes. No, not just the sky. The ground, the sea, and even my soul were shaking fiercely. I looked around just in case, but rather than seeing anything strange, I heard the player's surprised voice instead.

["What…? No, are you kidding me?! We closed the crack and yet, this? Is this a forced event?"]

The moment he said that, I knew that something terrible was coming.

"["Everyone, fall back!"]"

The player and I shouted at the same time. We have been with each other for such a long time, so we know what each other is thinking to some extent. So, I managed to move my body without delay.

"Kyaaa!"

"S-Save me!"

"UAAAAH!"

The others are not so fortunate. A crack that encompasses the entire sky appears in the blink of a moment. No, rather than a crack, isn't this a wormhole? A huge monster appeared and quickly killed three of us in one go: the saintess, sword saint, and paladin.

"What--"

"…!"

Before they could react, even the wizard and archer were brutally killed.

"Ha… Haha…"

Seeing that grotesque appearance, I could only laugh in despair.

It's a familiar monster.

To be exact, it is the final boss.

This damn monster is so strong it can destroy the entire planet by itself.

The problem is that even the strongest among us could only destroy a continent or two.

And that's after partying together and giving it our all.

The difference in strength is no joke.

So, the player tried everything to prevent the final boss from coming instead of facing it directly.

But in the end, everything we did was useless.

"Ah…"

When I saw the hero's death, I felt like crying there and then.

It was the moment when the world ended.

Ch 2 – Isekai Start
Join my Discord, SubscribeStar, Patreon, or Ko-fi for exclusive benefits, early chapters, and more.​

Ch 2 – Isekai Start​

"What is this?"

I widened my eyes at the computer screen.

"No way, no way, no way! This can't be the end, right?"

My game character was there, standing above a mountain of corpses.

The problem is, it wasn't just corpses of monsters.

The screen moved and showed the pained faces of my allies.

From the headless body of the sword saint, the bloodied mess of what I assume was once the hero, to the saintess, dragon lord, the princess.

Everyone lay there, unmoving.

And not just them.

From the protagonist's hometown all the way to the demon continent.

Everyone was dead.

Everyone I loved, the people of this world who helped me, went through the difficulties in life. They looked at me through the screen with dead eyes as if blaming me, the player, for leading them to this conclusion.

"No… There was a mistake. There must be."

With trembling hands, I moved the mouse and checked my game log.

Even the last screen congratulated me for reaching this true ending no player had ever reached.

Surely, it was a perfect run.

Of all the thousands of playthroughs I did over 10 years, this is definitely the best.

The #1 game that was called the world's absolute hardest strategy game, [Otherworld Defense].

I became the only player to defeat the notorious final boss and even achieve 100% completion with this game.

It should be a happy day for me, and yet–

"The true end…? This…?"

It was the moment my patience snapped.

"Are you kidding me!?"

I slammed the table.

"Why…? I did everything I could. So why…?"

It was painful.

"Why…?"

I clenched my chest.

"Why is everyone dying…?"

And then, silence.

To be honest, I expected this result. The enemies were strong, and the death flags were many. Even the allies' behavior was unpredictable due to the hyper-realistic AI.

But even then, to not even have a single good end.

Is this world doomed from the start?

Is it too much to ask for a perfect happy ending for these people?

"I feel sick."

My gaze met the protagonist. But the grief I saw in his eyes was probably the same as what was reflected in mine.

"Yeah, you suffered a lot too. We worked so hard together."

It was a truly long fight.

"You have done your part… Now it's my turn to act."

I posted my clear video on the forum and opened the browser to email the developer.

If nothing can be done in-game, I can at least do something on this side.

Some people on the forum mocked me for being too immersed in the game. But they didn't understand. To me, who grew up lonely, was bullied, and has been saved by [Otherworld Defense], this is not just a game.

This is my reason to live.

"Alright. I sent it."

It was when I was about to turn off the PC.

"Hm?"

A notification rang.

Was it the forum?

I checked, but besides the raving praise from players who saw my clear record post, I don't think there's anything special.

Then, I heard it again.

It was from the game window that I forgot to close.

What is it?

I opened it and saw the protagonist talking to me.

"Huh…?"

That's right, I didn't hear wrong. He was talking to me, the player.

As I listened to his desperate plea, I realized he remembered all the playthroughs we went through, not just this timeline.

"Please…"

It was a plea that only brought harm to the player.

Before I was able to answer, an email came from the dev.

["We want to help you, but… we can't. However, you can. If you have reached the true end, then you can definitely do it. The protagonist should have told you what to do if you want a happy ending. Please accept it and save the world in our stead."]

It was unreasonable. Not just the shameless dev, but also what I heard from the protagonist. Higher dimension? Transmigration to another world? Really?

Then again, if what he said was true, everything makes sense.

No wonder the AI was so life-like, damn it.

I replied to the email and said to the protagonist.

"Fine."

It was the moment I decided to throw away the world I live in. It's not like I have anything to live for in this world.

"I'll do it."

The deal was sealed. The screen turned bright as if to swallow everything that exists.

In fact, it definitely swallowed me.

And, was it a dream? In a world of light where everything else was gone, I felt I was standing face-to-face with the protagonist.

"Thank you."

He said that before disappearing into particles of light.

I widened my eyes at that.

Wait, does me transmigrating mean he will cease to exist?

'You idiot.'

Just because you usually don't die, does it make sense to do that!? Why do you keep sacrificing yourself like that?

He only smiled as if having read my feelings.

As I was about to reach out to the protagonist in anger.

The world crashed, and my consciousness turned black.

Ah, really.

Until the end, he was an incorrigible bastard.

Ch 3 – Life and Death Struggle
Join my Discord, SubscribeStar, Patreon, or Ko-fi for exclusive benefits, early chapters, and more.

Ch 3 – Life and Death Struggle

"Ugh…"

My head is throbbing.

"What is this? What's going on?"

I opened my eyes and was greeted with terrible scenery.

It was red. Be it the sky, the earth, or everything in between. The world was filled with a scarlet flame and a puddle of blood.

It was a flame so high that even the largest tree was swallowed in one go. It was a flame so wide that even the village next to the forest was burned. Of course, the fire hadn't reached me yet, but even that was a matter of time.

It was a familiar scene. It was the prologue, just right before Raon lost his family and friends to monster attacks.

"Wow, what a shitty way to start."

I remembered getting transmigrated into the game, but even I didn't expect that I would begin right at this moment. Couldn't I start as a baby so that I can train my strength properly instead?

Of course, it was impossible—I know that—but I felt like I would explode from inside if I didn't voice out my anger like this.

"Damn it."

I moved my body toward the burning village. Since this is the prologue, the monsters that appeared are only at the level of goblins. But even goblins were too much for a person from the modern age who had never held a sword like me.

Even more, if you consider that right now, I'm nothing more than a boy around 10 years of age.

Fortunately, there was no need to kill the monsters. In the prologue, if you can just survive for a few minutes, help from outside will arrive. The problem is that if I just run away and wait, most of the villagers, including Raon's mother, will die.

"It can't be helped."

Let's grab the monster's attention and run.

"Fortunately, Raon, your body is fit."

Should I say as expected of the protagonist? I can even feel a sense of lightness and sharp instinct in my body as if it were meant to be used for battle. If it's like this, I could probably lure the monsters until help arrives.

"Now then, how do I use mana?"

I grabbed a stone as I walked. Then, following this body's instinct, mana flowed from my body and enveloped the pebble.

"Impressive."

A mana user at 10 years old. And with this amount too.

'My future is bright.'

Then, I remembered the final boss that would appear in the future and sighed.

'My future is bleak. Damn.'

I walked through the clearing and arrived at the burning village.

"M-Monsters!"

"Help!"

"Kyaaa!"

The villagers were screaming and running here and there, but everywhere they went, the goblins were waiting, as if having predicted their actions.

"Suu…"

I took a deep breath and took a throwing stance. Normally, I would worry about the friendly kill, but…

I wonder why? I'm confident that this stone will never miss its target.

"Haa…!"

I shouted and threw the stone at a goblin who was about to hit a woman with a club. Then--

Splat!

The goblin's head explodes, splattering remains flew and painted the ground with red.

"Ah…"

The woman looked at that scene with a pale face. Then she seemed to realize something important and said to me with a trembling voice.

"Thank you."

I just nodded and moved on.

'I'm sorry. I just hope it doesn't lead to trauma.'

It's unfortunate, but I don't have the time to console every person suffering. If they had died, then it was only right to move on to the next one.

"Haa…!"

Another splat.

"Oh… Oh!"

Then another.

"I'm saved! I'm saved…!"

Then another.

"Thank you...!"

I kept throwing stones as I climbed the roof of the tallest building.

'How many more stones can I throw?'

Six? Maybe seven if I'm pushing it.

But there are too many goblins for me to kill. So rather than killing them all, my priority should be to provoke their leader so much that he ordered all goblins to chase after me.

"Where is he… Ah, found it."

It was the only higher species among the goblins.

Was it a hobgoblin? The only thing special about them is the ability to use mana.

Then again, that alone is fatal to these villagers who are not used to fighting.

"Haa…!"

Clang!

A metallic sound.

To block an attack from a blind spot… Should I say, as expected of the leader?

"Kururung…"

He lowered the short sword shielding his head and looked up at me.

"Heh."

I gave him a middle finger and a mocking smile.

As expected of a gesture that transcends language, it was enough to enrage a simple species with nothing much going on in their heads.

I mean, look. Didn't the hobgoblin's green face become so red with just that? He shouted to the goblins and pointed at me. Then, as if raising their morale, he raised his short sword to the sky and shouted. The goblin's followed along before giving chase to me.

"Great."

Now, let's run to the dragon's lair as fast as I can. After all, if I can't kill them myself, then it's enough to have someone else do them for me.

"Huff… Huff… Damn it…"

I dragged on my broken leg and huffed. Everything was going well until midway through the forest. But when the goblins started using ranged attacks like me, even I couldn't help but get hit once or twice.

Worse, I slipped down a cliff as I tried to dodge the short sword the hobgoblin threw out of anger. Thanks to that, I can't use my dominant arm anymore.

"And I'm so close, too."

It was there, just right beyond that tree. If I could lure them into the large cave filled with magic, the dragon would surely notice the intruders and come out to take a look.

In the prologue, this dragon also cleaned up the goblins, so it's not like I'm going there for no reason. She's a dragon who loves humans above all else, so unless that human is evil, she would definitely not turn a blind eye to their suffering.

"Move… I said move, damn it…!"

My legs were screaming in pain. It was absurd when I compared my current situation with Raon Eva in the game.

Who is Raon Eva? Isn't he a bastard who won't die even if he gets killed? At the very least, he was someone who could heal severed limbs and organs as he pleased due to his gift. If the gift's target is himself, he could even turn immortal as severed head and molecular destruction were healable with time.

'Unfortunately, that very gift hadn't blossomed at this point in time.'

I can only laugh bitterly at the unfairness.

Where did I go wrong?

No, that's not the right question.

What can I do now?

I look around the surroundings.

A short sword that the hobgoblin had thrown at me before seemed to have fallen along with me down the cliff.

Above, the goblins were climbing down as if determined to kill me.

Fine. If you want a fight to the death, that's what you'll get.

I took the short sword and poured out my mana. Then, I put my back on the cliff so I only need to worry about attacks coming from the front.

"Come at me, you bastard…!"

I will show you how a cornered rat fights!

It was the moment when blood splattered and the clanging sounds of metal rang under the cliff.

Last edited:
Ch 4 - Did I Die?

Ch 4 - Did I Die?

"Ugh…"

I dropped the short sword and fell to my knees.

The only limb I can move is my non-dominant hand, but even that is trembling like it's about to fall off.

Of course, it's not like the enemy didn't take any damage, either. If anything, looking at the pile of corpses alone, isn't it my victory by a landslide?

"To be defeated by a 10-year-old… How embarrassing."

The goblins lifted their gaze from their dead comrades and looked at me.

"Kurung…!"

"Kururung…!"

They seemed to take offense at my words and were about to rush forward and kill me. However.

"Kerung!"

The hobgoblin silenced them with a shout filled with mana. Right, among the goblins who felt anger, he must be the one who's most furious at me.

"Kerung…"

I plucked one of his eyes. Bit his neck until he bleeds. Spit here and there during our fight and even cut his genitals. I did that because I couldn't do anything about his skin.

Maybe because he protected himself with mana, he never got cut, no matter where I tried to cut. It felt like hitting a boulder. My hand trembled because of it, and even the short sword broke in half somewhere along the way.

Fortunately, he lowered his guard and mocked me, which is why I was able to attack the soft spots on his body with ease.

And since I even cut his genital, if he weren't angry, then he must be a saint.

"Kerung!"

Smack!

Fortunately, or should I say, unfortunately, he didn't kill me immediately but resorted to hitting me instead—and without strengthening his fist with mana. He must have wanted to have me suffer as much as possible before finally killing me in the end.

"Hehe."

Was it because of my laughter? The ugly guy looked even uglier as he screamed this and that.

But what does it matter?

I have done the best that I could.

It was a prologue where everyone but the protagonist would die. There had never been a case where the villagers were saved.

But what about now?

The villagers are alive, the protagonist's mother is alive, and I'm still alive.

Do you know what this means?

It means the possibility of a never-before-seen story is currently unfolding right before my eyes.

The perfect happy end.

Sure, it's only up to the prologue for now, but even that is enough to fill me with hope.

'I can create a new ending…!'

So why am I laughing despite having been beaten to half-death? Because she's finally here, the dragon who polymorphed into a human.

'Took you long enough, Bianca.'

Before I lost consciousness, the last thing I saw was the bodies of the goblins bursting to pieces. And that of a white-haired lady catching me in her embrace.

"Ugh…"

I groaned and opened my eyes.

An unfamiliar ceiling.

'Did I die?'

I shook my dizziness away and looked around.

'No, if I am dead, then I must have gone to hell or something.'

But what is this place?

Everything seemed too peaceful compared to the hell I know.

Or rather, isn't this a cave?

Where am I?

As my memories returned, I looked around, trying to find the one who had saved me. And then, I saw her.

"Are you awake?"

Her long silver hair was wet as if she had just taken a bath. She was not in her usual attire, and her skin flushed red, so she looked even more charming than her usual appearance in the game.

Even her appearance is beautiful enough for players to create a fan club about her. If any of those bastards who were obsessed with her saw this, they would surely go crazy on the forum, spamming words like 'Bianca Mamang' or whatnot.

"Bianca?"

"Oh, you knew me? What a surprise. Are stories about me still being told to children these days?"

She giggled and took out something from the wardrobe.

"Just wait for a bit, okay? I'll go get dressed real quick."

Bianca was humming as she picked out a few clothes. Should I be glad that my body hadn't reached puberty? Even if I looked at her naked body like this, I didn't feel sexually aroused at all.

Still, beautiful things are beautiful. So, I can't help but stare at her in awe as if appreciating a work of nature.

It really is big.

I think I can understand a little why her fanbase called her Mamang.

She seemed to notice where I was looking and giggled.

"Are you curious?"

"Eh? Well…"

"Ara, you're blushing. So cute."

She patted my head softly, like a girl patting a kitten. It strangely felt good, so I just let her do what she wanted.

Soon, she finished changing and placed her hand on my forehead.

"I've healed you before, but just in case."

A soft light enveloped my body. It felt like submerging in a warm bath. Unfortunately, it didn't last long as Bianca pulled her hand away and smiled.

"Yes. You're all good."

"Thank you so much, really."

"Don't mind it. I actually felt sorry about the village."

She must have read my memory quite a bit. I am curious how far she read. But since she doesn't mention my previous life as Kim Siwoo, her power probably can only read what's stored in the brain, not the soul.

That alone is amazing, though. Thanks to that, she could quickly tell whether someone was evil or not.

"Still, you're amazing. How did someone so small do all that?"

She continued to praise me with excitement. Seeing her look so happy, like a mother feeling proud of her son, made me feel giddy.

Honestly, I'm not used to receiving praise in my last life. So it doesn't feel bad. Still, it's more embarrassing than I thought.

"I was only doing what little thing I could."

"Oh, are you more shy than I thought? It's okay to just thank you when someone praises you, you know?"

"Thank you."

"Right. That's more like it, hehe."

I wonder what made her so happy. But Bianca has been patting my head and smiling since before.

"Ah~ So cute. Is it okay for such a strong boy to be this cute?"

Scratch that. I think I understand. She completely treats me like a cat.

If that's the case, then I can understand Bianca being so touchy since before.

Because I'm also like that with my cat.

At times like this, I would feel happier if the cat snuggled up even more to me rather than refusing the touch.

So that's exactly what I did.

"…!"

Why was she surprised? Isn't it better this way? Just when I thought I should pull back, Bianca broke into a melting smile and hugged me tightly.

"Hngh! So cute."

"…!"

I was startled momentarily, but I relaxed quite a bit when I realized she properly controlled her strength.

I thought my body would break for a moment.

It wouldn't be funny if I died after going through all that.

And due to being hugged by a pretty girl, at that.

'She looks happy.'

I wonder if this is how all dragons feel when they see something they like.

Then again, the other dragons I know are enemies of mankind, so I don't even want to meet them.

'Keuh… This shame is nothing but a small price to pay.'

I feel embarrassed, but it was a rare chance to raise favor with a dragon.

'Everything was for the sake of a perfect happy end.'

It was the moment when I swallowed my pride and acted cute like any normal 10-year-old would.

Ch 5 - The Hero Returns

Ch 5 - The Hero Returns

After Bianca calmed down, she told me that the village was safe.

"Thank you again, really."

"No, you did everything. All I did was help to put out the fires."

"Still, if not for you, more lives would have been lost."

These are the lives that are so important to me that they might very well be the reason I came to this world.

"Done. You really are mature for your age. Are you really 10 years old?"

"Well…"

Am I? After thinking for a bit, I think it's correct to say yes to such questions from now on.

"Is that bad…?"

"It's not a bad thing, but, hm… If possible, I prefer to see a child spending his day happily without a care in the world."

I can understand that. I also want to create a world where children can laugh happily without fearing a monster.

"Ah, that doesn't mean I dislike you, okay? If anything, I like it even more to finally see someone who's not afraid of me, let alone snuggling up like this."

I must have triggered another landmine as she giggled and began to mess up my hair all over again.

"Hm, it really is a shame. Should I just keep you here after all?"

"That's… I'm sorry."

"Why? There are a lot of food, you know? And if you ever want a toy, I could also create or get it somehow."

Literally, anything I desire. It's a good proposal. If I don't have to consider the end of the world, that is.

Seeing me refusing once again, she just smiled weakly.

"Okay, you must have your reason."

"Yes. I'm sorry, but I can't stay here for long."

"Oh, that's fine. I understand. So I'll just come with you."

She smiled brightly as she said that.

"Pardon?"

"If you can't stay here, then it's okay for me to stay with you, right?

"Well…"

"Plus, although this place has everything. I've been bored living in this cave for years and years, you know? I had been planning to get some fresh air anyway, so I might as well stick close to you."

I see. I understand her reason. Actually, it's a good thing. Bianca is a very powerful dragon despite how she looks. If I could make her an ally, which is impossible in the game, then it would benefit me greatly, no matter how I look at it.

If there's a problem… what do I do about the hidden danger she was supposed to take care of by herself as she traveled the world?

Then, the future I know of might change greatly, and I can't fully use my future knowledge.

It's one thing if I can lead her to where she's supposed to go, but this game follows Raon from beginning to end. Although there's an option to see the world from a first-person or third-person view, in the end, all events are centered around Raon.

"Is that a no…?"

Bianca slumped down her shoulder. As expected of a white dragon known for kindness. Rather than forcing her will onto me, she's willing to listen and consider other people's circumstances.

'Now that I think about it, that very future knowledge will only lead to a dead end. So I might as well take Bianca, right?'

It might be an excuse to convince myself, but I don't want to see someone so kind to look so sad if I can help it.

Call it me being selfish, if you will, but I decided to let Bianca do whatever she wanted in the end.

"Alright. I want to be with you too, actually."

"Hngh…! To say things like that so casually. As expected, my eyes are not wrong…! Eii…!"

Then, another session began. It was morning the next day when Bianca finally released me, and we moved to the village together.

It was when I arrived in the village.

Just one day after the attack.

'Wow.'

Contrary to my expectation that everyone would be gloomy and all depressed, the villagers moved busily and even helped each other redevelop the houses they'd lost.

Sure, it's not all joy and laughter.

But the fact that they chose to move forward together instead of being stuck grieving over the past is admirable.

'Aren't they doing better than I thought?'

There was no need for me to force myself to console these people after all. I wasn't very good at socializing in the first place, but I have been worrying about what to say on the way here.

'It turns out the people I want to protect are stronger than I thought.'

If it's like this, wouldn't they be the ones who protect me instead one day?

Maybe it's not a bad idea to settle in this village once everything's over.

'Ah, I'm getting ahead of myself.'

That's right, rather than thinking about the far future, let's take care of things one step at a time, starting from the present.

It was when I was walking through the village towards my house.

"Raon."

"Hm?"

"Everyone is looking, you know?"

Bianca smiled and gestured.

She's right.

I don't know since when, but everyone, even the workers who were busy moving here and there, just widened their eyes, and they were looking at me.

What is it?

Is there something on my face?

It was when I was wiping my face.

"Hero."

Someone murmured.

"He's the one who saved me!"

"He saved me too!"

"Didn't he even lure the monsters?"

"Ooh! Such bravery! And at such a young age, too!"

"He's the pride of our village!"

"The village's hero!"

Before I knew it, the people dropped whatever they were doing and ran up to me.

"Thank you for saving my daughter, Raon."

"Thanks to you, everyone is alive."

"How can we ever repay you!"

I felt troubled and looked at Bianca for help.

But she just smiled and pushed my back gently.

"I'm just doing what I could, really."

Didn't they notice my embarrassment? The villagers praised me even more strongly after I said that.

Then, a small girl trots up to me.

"Brother, here's a flower… For you."

"Oh, so pretty. Thank you."

She then blushed and ran back to where she came from. She was hiding behind a woman, probably her mom, and took a peek at me before hiding her face again.

'Cute.'

I still feel embarrassed to be praised like this, but it doesn't feel so bad to receive pure goodwill every now and then.

It was a while after that happened.

"Raon!"

Beyond the crowd, a young woman shouted and made everyone fall silent.

Her hair looked disorganized, and she was panting as if she had just run for a long time.

I saw a basket of fruits and herbs in her hand and understood right away.

She must have been in the forest just now before someone finally informed her of my return.

'To go inside the forest again so soon after the goblins' attack… Should I call her brave or foolish?'

Then again, she's Raon Eva's mom.

Her love for feeding the only family member she had left must be so high that it helped her overcome even her fear of monsters.

"Raon…!"

The crowd parted as she ran up to hug me.

"I'm glad you're safe."

The first thing she said was not thanks for saving her life but her concern for my well-being.

Is this what having a mother felt like?

'It feels nice.'

Technically, she's not my mother.

If we only look at the soul, we are nothing more than strangers.

But isn't that true for all families?

We are people who share the same blood in their veins.

In that case, what I should call her is decided.

"I'm back, mom."

It was the moment when I finally realized that everything was over.

That everyone was safe.

Ch 6 – Became Her Disciple

Ch 6 – Became Her Disciple​

In the game, right after the prologue, time skips forward to chapter 1, which happens 8 years from now.

But since this world is no longer a game, I would have to spend those 8 years by myself.

This is not bad since it just means I will have that much extra time to prepare for the future.

But it also means that I must do all the hard work and practice the protagonist did to become strong.

At the very least, I have to become as strong as him in chapter 1 within those 8 years, but--

'It was hard.'

Was it level 6 in aura, becoming a 6th circle mana user, and raising his gift from grade F to C?

'I can do it if I try. This body had that much potential, after all. But now that I think about it, just how desperate did Raon Eva become after losing his village to monsters? It's not a strength of will any ordinary 10-year-old could have.'

Then again, he's the protagonist of the world who survived and killed the final boss when everyone else died. A person who can't die even when he's killed.

He wouldn't be the protagonist if he didn't have that much strength of will.

'I have to do better.'

I picked up my wooden sword and headed out to the forest.

"You're here, Raon."

I met Bianca there. She was sitting on a tree stump and waving at me with a smile. It had been three days since she had come to this village.

At first, my mother was terrified when I introduced her as a dragon. So Bianca pulled my cheek all day as she sulked, asking me what she should do if I scared my mom away like that. I later told my mom it was a joke and that Bianca was just a great person who saved my life. I even added that she was the one who put the fire in the village.

Thanks to that, she was well-received not just by my family but also by the villagers.

Of course, nothing much has changed except for Bianca and my mom excitedly talking about this and that from my childhood and Bianca hugging me every now and then.

'I feel embarrassed, really.'

So I thought today would be no different than usual, but…

"What is it?"

"No, well… I didn't expect to see you here at all."

"I see. As much as I enjoy being with other humans, I came here to be with you after all. So wouldn't it be normal for me to stick close to you 24/7?"

"Is that normal? No, wait, at least not in public…!"

"Eh~ What's wrong with showing affection in public? Eii!"

Bianca jumped at me and giggled.

She fully intends to stick close to me as much as possible.

It's okay, though; I actually like the gesture.

"So, what are you doing, hm?"

She put her forehead on mine and closed her eyes. Then, her face stiffened as she looked at me.

"You're practicing like that? Why?"

"Yes? What do you mean why? How else am I going to practice?"

"Eh? But it's so inefficient! Can't you see your body's condition? Look, rather than building strength, aren't you injured here and there?"

She was right.

I was practicing like the protagonist would in his later days. But I only know how he practiced after chapter 1, meaning after his gift had awakened to some extent and he was somewhat immune to injuries.

So it wouldn't be weird for me, who hadn't awakened that gift, to be injured at this point.

'Then again, I thought it was a good method despite the risk of injuries.'

Was the protagonist's method wrong?

"But I don't know other methods of practice."

I will say it again, but I'm a modern man who rarely leaves his home.

So, let alone learning martial arts, I don't even know how to exercise and build muscle properly.

All I know is second knowledge from media or watching the characters practice every now and then.

'The problem is, every character's way to practice is unique. As if tailored to fit their personal needs.'

If I tried, I might be able to compare it to real-life martial arts. But when they add mana and aura, and even acrobatic movements that I don't understand the meaning of, I can't help but just put my trust and leave them alone.

"Is it necessary to practice at all?"

I nodded.

"I have to get stronger."

"Why?"

"That's… To save this world?"

"Oh…"

She smiled and looked at me warmly.

"Kuhm… I see. Boys sure love that, don't they."

No, I'm embarrassed to say that with my mouth, so please stop looking at me with such compassion.

"Hehe, so cute."

It seemed like her image of me had grown stronger in a weird direction.

"Anyway, I understand. If the reason you did such inefficient training is because you don't know, then I'll help you practice."

It was an unexpected offer.

"Why?"

Honestly, I have done nothing to receive so much favor from her. But she continues to give without expecting to receive anything back in return.

"Huh? What do you mean why? Isn't it because I like you?"

"Eh?"

She likes me? It doesn't mean she just finds me cute, doesn't it?

To be honest, hearing a pretty girl say she likes me felt very good.

It must be because I have no dating experience before, so I can't help but feel conscious even though the other person might simply say it in a non-romantic way.

"Oh, that's a good reaction. Your face is all red, you know?"

Keuk… I can't refute that.

Really, I'm glad my hormones didn't go crazy like a teenager would. But I see that my heart can still beat like crazy even though there are no sexual reactions just yet.

It's a wonder of the human body.

"Anyway, I can write several skill books if you want, whether it's magic, martial arts, or healing arts. All you need to do is open those books, and poof! The book will disappear, and you'll learn the basics. All that's left is to raise the skill proficiency to mastery whenever you self-study. Even better, I can even teach you myself if you're stuck somewhere."

"Wow."

That's such a good offer it would feel weird to refuse.

"You seemed to like it. Hehe. So, how about it?"

"I really like it. Please help me! Teacher!"

Honestly, it was the best thing I could ask for.

"Sure! Of course, now that you're my disciple, you must listen to every word I say, right?"

"Hm?"

Something… something is not right. Bianca was smiling, but somehow, I felt like my dignity was being threatened?

"Hehe, hehehe… I look forward to it."

It was not until later that I realized the danger I was in.

Ch 7 - Weapon Select

Ch 7 - Weapon Select​

"Yes! That's it! Now turn around and look here, hehe."

It was morning the next day.

In order to find the perfect martial arts for me, Bianca flew back to her lair. She brought all kinds of equipment for me to try, from ordinary weapons like swords and spears to unique weapons like a scythe and chakrams.

The problem is that the weapon she brought came with unique features.

It was enchanted with a magic spell that transformed the user's clothing to fit the weapon.

"Did you like it? I enchanted them all last night."

I looked at myself and murmured.

"Isn't this just cosplay?"

Currently, I have the appearance of Robin Hood holding a yew bow, complete with a green tunic and all that.

It's not like this world has a legend about Robin Hood, but there must be something similar to that.

Still, what annoys me even more is that the clothing was actually of high quality and felt comfortable to wear.

"It's frustrating, keuk… but I like it, I guess."

"Right? Hehe"

Bianca circled around me and smiled. She seemed like a little girl asking to be praised for doing a good job.

Still, no matter how she looked, she was actually older than me.

'Then again, considering her race as a dragon, it's true that she's actually on the younger side.'

Surprisingly, we might be similar in age? Mentally speaking, that is.

"Alright. So how do you feel about archery?"

"Well…"

I look at the arrow stuck in the trees instead of the apple I was supposed to target.

"It's very strong, but I don't think I have the talent for it."

"That's natural, because this is the first time you were holding a bow. I'm not asking whether you're talented or not, I just want to know whether archery is something you like enough to pursue."

"Hm… I'm not sure."

Honestly, it's an okay choice.

As my proficiency improves, all problems in archery will definitely be solved, such as creating arrows with mana instead of having to worry about running out of arrows, being able to shoot while running instead of being stuck in one place like now, and more.

But the problem is, it's not versatile enough to suit my taste.

"I don't think being the strongest damage dealer is the best fit for me. Although I admit that having something to use for long-range fight is enticing."

I put down the bow on the ground.

Then, suddenly, my clothing reverts back to normal.

"I see, I see. Then let's try the next clothes–I mean, next weapon."

Well, at least she's enjoying this.

If I had to make a comparison, she might be similar to people who like dressing their cats in clothes.

'Let's just be glad it's not any weirder than this.'

If she started putting makeup on me, that would be the worst.

"Kuhm, anyway, if you like long-range, how about this chakram or that poison darts over there?"

"Both seems hard to use. Aren't darts too fragile to pierce monsters shell?"

"That's because they are commonly used by assassins. To kill humans."

"I see."

Certainly, that's a good choice if it's for that purpose. Darts are small enough to carry and hide, too.

"But my priority is killing monster. If possible, I want something versatile enough to help me respond in any situation."

I don't know what kind of monsters I would face.

At times, it might be a monster with shells so tough it needs to be pierced.

Other times, an inorganic golem where a blunt weapon works best.

Heck, I might be fighting spiritual beings that can only be damaged by magic and non-physical attacks.

So, rather than a specialized weapon, I need a weapon that can deal blunt damage, sharp cuts, and pierce attacks—something I can use in short, mid, and long distances. But did such a weapon even exist?

"Hm… Is there a need to choose just one?"

Bianca said.

"If you know you need them all, then just bring them all?"

"... What? Isn't the purpose of me doing all this to let me focus on a specific weapon rather than learning them all? Do I even have the time to practice everything?"

"Or you can choose one main weapon and a few sub-weapon. You only have to practice your main one. As for the rest, it's enough to just have and use them when needed. Your sub-weapon skill will improve just fine that way too."

"I see. That's not a bad idea."

"Right?"

So, I can probably choose a short—to mid-range primary weapon and any decent auxiliary weapon to fight long-range.

'I don't think I need to fight flying enemies that much, right?'

If so, then I don't need to learn archery. If I really have to fight flying enemies, it's better to think of ways to bring them to the ground.

'I can deal with all monsters that appear in the game. Of course, now that this world is no longer a game, enemies I don't know of might pop up from time to time.'

I picked a single-edged knife and a dagger, swinging them around to get a basic feel before throwing them to the apple.

Both weapons missed the apple. But with this, I think I have decided on my sub-weapon.

"I'll take the dagger."

All daggers are double-edged and symmetrical, so they would be easier to use in short-range fights, too, for blocking attacks and such.

Additionally, I can throw them long-range in case I ever need them and probably use telekinesis magic to retrieve them or something.

"A good choice."

Bianca smiled.

"What about your main?"

"Hm…"

Something I can use mid-range.

'A spear?'

No, the dagger is enough for piercing attacks. I could probably use aura to cover my fist or any hard weapon I could find for blunt attacks. So, all that's left is a slash-type weapon.

'A sword? How long? How thin?'

I picked several swords and swung them around.

'A heavy sword is no good. Longsword too. Sword and shield too. Actually, isn't there a pattern here?'

I looked around and noticed something about my preference.

'It seems like anything that needs both hand to use is no good.'

A simple shortsword or one-handed sword might be best.

I narrowed down the search and only tried one-handed weapon from then on.

After using all kinds of swords to slash here and there, I have finally found a weapon I am satisfied with.

"Have you decided?"

Did it show on my face? Bianca smiled as if she liked what she was seeing.

"Yes."

I wiped my sweaty face with a towel.

"I like this sword best. It's one-handed despite being double-edged. It's not too heavy either so I can use it for quick attacks."

A perfect sword for attack and defense.

It's also light enough without being too brittle, which means it's somewhat balanced, unlike heavy swords that focus on pure power while still being stronger than thin swords like rapier.

This opens up a lot of ways to fight instead of just simply attacking and blocking.

Sure, the sword's reach was a bit shorter than that of a longsword, but it was still much longer than a dagger.

Furthermore, that's a problem I can solve with aura later on by extending the sword's reach.

So, it was not a problem unless I planned to fight day and night until my aura was depleted.

"What is this sword called?"

When I showed Bianca the sword, I noticed that her face seemed stiffened.

"I see. So you also chose that one..."

She murmured.

"Teacher?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry. I was distracted for a bit."

She coughed and answered my question.

"It's called a Jian sword. As you said, it's a good sword. So take good care of it, okay?"

Then, as if her previous expression was a lie, Bianca returned to her usual smile and messed up my hair.

"Now that you have decided on your weapon, just wait a bit. I will write a skill book that best fits that weapon, along with other things that you can use as backups."

She then listed survival skills like grappling, fist technique, and more. These skills would be helpful if my weapon broke or I was put in a difficult situation.

Before long, Bianca left before I could ask about what her expression meant just now.

"Hm…"

I looked at the sword in my hand.

It seems like there's a backstory between this sword and Bianca.

A detail that didn't even appear anywhere in the game.

Ch 8 – My Skills

Ch 8 – My Skills

It has been several days since I learned a few skills from Bianca.

I wasn't expecting much since she said it was just a 'simple' gift from her.

But when I look at the effect, it was not simple at all.

[Skill: Absolute Blade Arts (Legendary), Perfect Stealth (Legendary), White Dragon Vision (Legendary), Soaring Dragon Fist (Heroic), Ode to Grappling (Heroic), Extreme Mirage Footwork (Heroic), Lee's Throwing Technique (Unique)]

If it's like this, whether she wants me to do cosplay or anything, I would do it wholeheartedly.

For reference, skill grades from worst to the best went like this:

Common > Uncommon > Rare > Unique > Heroic > Legendary > Mythic.

This is why I was surprised.

The skills she gave me were so excellent that I couldn't help but feel giddy with joy.

In fact, besides throwing skills, all other skills were heroic grades or higher.

When I asked for the reason, Bianca looked away as if embarrassed.

"I never need to practice throwing. Hm, how should I put it… should I say, all the weapons I throw ended up breaking? That's why, I can't help you with practice. That skillbook was simply one of the many treasure lying around in my lair."

"I see."

If you throw things with the strength of a dragon, it's a given that a standard weapon would break.

Then again, Bianca didn't look like someone with trouble controlling her strength, so it was unexpected.

"No, rather than having trouble with controlling my strength, it's the human body itself that I'm feeling troubled with."

"Ah…"

Come to think of it, there's something unique about the human shoulder joint.

The orientation of the joint produced higher torque during a throwing motion.

This difference might feel awkward to Bianca, whose original body was a dragon.

Even if she exerted a certain amount of strength to throw things as a dragon, that same amount of strength might produce higher destructive power when she polymorphed into a human.

'It's the same reason why the fist skill and grappling she taught me only reach heroic grade, which is one grade lower than the rest. It was because she was not used to the human body itself.'

It was the moment I realized that Bianca had things she was good at and bad at, just like anyone.

"But why is your stealth skill legendary?"

"That's…"

Bianca squirmed as if embarrassed before glancing at me.

What is it?

"You won't laugh?"

"? Sure, I won't laugh."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Kuhm, well…"

She began with difficulty.

"When I was small, I used to ran away from home because I don't want to do homework…"

"..."

Is a dragon doing homework?

What?

"But, you know… Our family's vision skill is also legendary grade, right? So, in the process of playing hide-and-seek with my parents… My stealth skill became like that."

"..."

Is it okay for a legendary skill to be developed in that way?

It was an absurd backstory for such a fantastic skill.

"Um…"

Because I didn't say anything, Bianca must have felt anxious about what I was thinking.

Even if you look at me like that… how should I react?

"That… it must be tough on you."

"My disciple pitied me… Sniff."

"Ah, I mean, isn't it fine? Everyone must have an embarrassing story or two as a child."

"Including you, disciple?"

"Eh? Of course."

"Tell me."

"Eh…"

Somehow, we ended up telling each other about our embarrassing moments as children.

"Hehe, so cute."

Her mood seemed to improve as she listened to my stories.

Regardless, it was a good moment of bonding between teacher and disciple.

"Anyway, we got sidetracked. How was your practice?"

"Honestly, it was hard."

And no, I'm not talking about practicing skills.

Those are fun.

The problem is, what I'm practicing right now are not skills but something else entirely.

"Hahaha, of course. Your body is still that of a child after all."

"Can't I learn aura too? I think it would help a lot with my stamina and practice."

"Don't even try. Trust me, it will harm your body in the long run. Rather than learning aura or mana, you should prioritize building your stamina in a natural way."

"How about a healing skill? My joints are crying."

"Natural healing is better for growing strength. If your torn muscle was healed by skills, they would just revert back to their original form before exercise. I don't want you to learn healing just yet and risk losing hours of practice, even if you used it by mistake."

She's not wrong.

"Of course, I already wrote the healing skill for you."

"Really?"

"Fufu. You looked happy."

"How could I not?"

It was a skill book written by a white dragon known for their extraordinary healing abilities.

'It must be a legendary grade, right?'

If I learn Bianca's healing skill in addition to Raon's gift, not only will I not die, but I can also help other people stay alive.

'At the very least, it would be hard to lose allies and the people close to me.'

Since this world is no longer a game, I can't abuse the save and load function like I used to.

'If someone died, then that's it.'

So, it was great knowing I have a healing skill to lean on.

"I'll give it to you later, okay? For now, just trust me and work hard."

With newfound determination, I nodded and happily followed what she said.

Doing sets upon sets of squats, push-ups, sit-ups, runs, and more.

Basically, anything necessary to build up my physique.

Still, it was hard.

"How many sets has this been?"

She said that as she squatted down and smiled at me.

"10…"

"Then do another 10 set of 50. Come on, you don't have that much time until dinner."

I groaned and forced my body to move. I can rest all I want at home. So, for now, let's work hard.

If there's anything I'm grateful for, it's that Raon Eva's body is a cheat.

If any other 10-year-olds were to do this training, could they even endure it?

No, they couldn't.

But this bastard Raon recovered so quickly as if foreshadowing the gift he would awaken later.

Time passed as I was thinking about this and that.

"48… 49… 50…!"

As soon as I finished the task, I plopped down to the ground and breathed heavily.

"Haa… Haa…"

In fact, didn't I even start wheezing?

What is this? Am I going to die? Really?

"Good work."

As if knowing exactly when I would be done, Bianca returned from who-knows-where and gave me something to drink.

Ah, this is it. I feel like coming back to live.

"Gulp… Gulp… Puha… Wow, thank you."

I gave her the drinking bottle back.

"Don't mind it. So, can you walk?"

"... Probably not."

"Good. Then let me carry you."

Carry me?

Certainly, Bianca is strong. She wouldn't have any trouble carrying me if it was her.

If anything, it was me who felt troubled.

"It's okay. Just let me rest for a bit."

"Ara. Are you embarrassed? Fufu, how nostalgic. You used to be acting all embarrassed around me when we first met too."

"Just so you know, I am still embarrassed around you. I just don't show it as much."

She smiled as if liking what she heard.

"You can go back first, teacher. Please tell mom I will come soon too."

"There's no way I can do that. What kind of teacher leave their defenseless disciple in the forest?"

Surprisingly, there are many teachers like that.

Compared to them, Bianca is a saint.

It's just that her teaching is a bit hard for me, but what she's teaching is correct.

It's common sense for a teacher and disciple to care for each other. So I'm really glad that Bianca and my way of thinking is similar in this regard.

"Anyway, if you can't walk, then I'll just have to carry you with me."

"What?"

Before I could continue, Bianca lifted my body and started to walk. It was the infamous princess carry.

"Put me down…"

"Fufu, it's really okay you know. Just wait until we get home."

Seriously... If she carries me like this until we're home, wouldn't the villagers also see me in this state?

'How embarrassing.'

Then again, Bianca was doing this for my sake.

So, I decided to let her do what she wanted and accept the gesture.

We walked in silence until we arrived home.

Ch 9 – Practice, Practice, Practice

Ch 9 – Practice, Practice, Practice

"Interesting. I didn't expect that you'd grow so fast."

Bianca's eyes sparkled as she watched me swinging my sword.

"What is it? Are you doing secret practice behind my back?"

"It's not like that."

"Then what? Are you secretly the descendant of a great dao somewhere? Did you use their bloodline arts to break through your limit?"

"What great dao? The only Dao I know of is that uncle over there."

"Gasp. You mean that uncle who fixed broken pipes? Is he a hermit after all?"

It seems like my teacher feels bored or wants someone to talk with today.

"Did something happen?"

"Hm? Nothing like that."

"You looked a bit different to say that."

"Ara, were you watching me? Fufu, it seems like my disciple loves his teacher too much."

She looked at me with warm eyes.

"It's just… it feels nostalgic somehow."

"Nostalgic?"

"Yes. It's been such a long time since I saw someone using that sword skill."

I looked at my list of skills again.

Absolute Blade Arts.

It's a legendary-grade skill with an unusual name. At the very least, it's a sword skill I've never heard of in-game.

'It doesn't fit with any swordsmanship school either. Neither the west nor the east… Just where did such a powerful sword skill come from?'

It was a sword skill that took only the best from all schools.

That said, it doesn't have a unique characteristic that distinguishes it from other sword schools by itself.

It's a sword skill that will change according to how the user uses it.

'It's a good thing for me. But if it were any other swordsman, they might get overwhelmed by the sheer options alone.'

If I had to use an analogy… Let's see…

Assuming this sword skill is water, then even for basic things like slashing, I can swing it powerfully like a tsunami crashing down, gracefully like a calm lake optimized for counter, or flow continuously like a river and aim for never-ending quick-combo-attacks.

The important thing is that they are as strong as other legendary sword skills optimized for powerful attacks, counter, or quick strikes, respectively.

'It's similar to mixed martial arts in my previous world.'

Mixed martial arts, or MMA, combines the best of all martial arts to create the most deadly arts of all.

'It's also one of the hardest, if not the hardest martial arts to learn though.'

Of course, the benefits are so great that every second you spend training is worth it in the long run.

'It makes me even more curious about the person who created this sword skill.'

I couldn't help but ask Bianca.

"Who created this skill?"

"Well…"

Bianca think for a bit.

I wonder if it's a hard question to answer.

Or maybe it's a secret, and Bianca simply didn't trust me enough to tell me about it.

"It's complicated."

Either way, I don't think I can get an answer from her anytime soon.

"I see."

I decided not to overthink it and continued my practice.

"From the looks of it, it seems like you prefer quick strikes?"

"Is that how it looked? Actually, I tried to try them equally before focusing on one. But if what you said is true, then I must have unconsciously made a decision already."

It's okay to decide later, but now that she mentioned it, let's try the sub-skill derived from quick strikes.

[Absolute Blade Arts]

[Quick Strike, First Art - Vorpal Thrust]

I took a stance and kicked the ground to propel myself forward before thrusting the sword in my hand.

Stab!

Then, it pierced the thick tree without resistance as if sticking a knife in tofu.

I was pretty far from the tree, but before I knew it, I had arrived and delivered a deadly attack. All of that action lasted no more than a second, and that's considering I didn't even use mana or aura to increase my speed.

'And since I didn't feel any recoil to my arm… it seems like this skill ignores Newton's law of action-reaction and motion.'

For every action done, there's a reaction equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

This skill breaks that law completely.

And not just that. Since I accelerated and stopped almost instantly, it must have also ignored the law of motion to some degree.

'What's in motion will stay in motion. An object will not change its motion unless a force acts on it. So what is this force that acts on my movement speed?'

It's a fascinating technique.

However, thinking about the mechanism behind it won't help me at this point, so I decided to think with my body instead and continued to practice.

"See? You can already use the first style. It took me around 3 months of daily practice before I could even use it, you know? In this case, you are much more talented than me."

"Did you also prefer quick strikes?"

"No, I prefer counters. But even the derivative skill for counters took me 2 months to learn. And power strikes took even longer than quick strikes."

"I see."

Every person has things they are good at and bad at.

That's even more true when we're talking about this skill.

It doesn't usually take months to learn the first derivative skill, even among legendary skills that were known to be very hard to learn.

"I wonder how long it would take me to learn them all."

It seems like Absolute Blade Arts is an even more outrageous skill than I had initially thought.

"You can take your time. There are 7 derivative skills for each type. If you learn them all, I don't think you would ever need to learn other swordsmanship in your lifetime."

"Certainly…"

Assuming every derivative skill took 3 months on average to learn, then I could learn all 21 within 8 years before chapter 1 begins.

By then, how strong would I be? I could probably breeze through the first chapter with ease.

'I'm looking forward to it.'

At the time, I didn't know of the great danger I would face because of the future I changed.

Ch 10 – Perfect Fitness

Ch 10 – Perfect Fitness

*** Bianca POV ***

'This child, he's definitely talented.'

And I'm not just talking about the sword.

"Haa! Sei! Hyaah!"

Raon shouted as if to force his tired body to swing the sword.

It looked like his joints were about to snap, so I couldn't help but feel worried about him getting injured.

Of course, I tried to stop him at first, but he said there was no problem since he would recover just as fast.

I thought it was bravado at first, but when I looked at his body again, he really recovered quickly.

'I would immediately heal him if necessary, even if it means he will lose some training progress in the process…'

Fortunately, what I feared most didn't happen, so it's okay.

It's okay, but...

'I didn't think his physical fitness would increase so fast. It's a ridiculous natural growth, thanks to that natural recovery and grit.'

Barely 6 months.

With a training menu that increased so much over time that even professional bodybuilders would vomit and faint, he went through them diligently without complaint.

I thought he was pushing himself at first, but when I checked, his body really had healed enough to continue a few more sets.

'And that's only after resting for a few minutes at best.'

For someone who claimed he has never done physical exercise, his growth is terrifying, to say the least.

'Even more amazing is his willpower. What is this? Why did he continue to train even after his joints were creaking like this?'

If it were any other kid, they would immediately whine and quit.

But except for the first few days of practice, where he lacks confidence in himself, now he just laughs it off as if feeling excited about the prospect of getting stronger.

The fact that he managed to overcome the harsh training day after day must have helped him realize what his body is capable of. And that results in the self-belief that he can do more.

'It's a good thing. But somehow, I can't help but worry.'

What if he became too confident and made a mistake?

Suppose he ended up hurting himself without me by his side or ended up in a situation where he couldn't recover at all.

In that case, he might end up with a permanent disability for life.

'I can't let that happen.'

I was planning to stick with him anyway, but now that the possibility of injury is higher, I can't help but stick with him even more.

'Should I stay with him 24/7 after all?'

It was the best decision I could think of.

If we're always together, then I can always heal him when a terrible situation arrives.

'Of course, that includes taking a bath and sleeping too.'

I want to be able to wash him with my own hands each day and even hug him while we sleep together in bed.

'So good. Hehe.'

Of course, I don't have impure intentions at all.

But isn't it normal for a girl to want to pet, rub, and hug cute things?

In that sense, Raon Eva is truly the best among all the humans I've seen.

'Black hair that's darker than night and shines under the moonlight. Beautiful hazel eyes comparable to gems. Even his facial features are symmetrical and very pleasant to look at. Really, how could someone look so perfect?'

It was a beauty beyond perfection that even mesmerized me, a dragon.

'And even his muscles have started to form now.'

Hidden underneath those clothes is a perfect body that looks like a masterpiece made by a master craftsman.

'His determined expression looks cool too, his excited smile when swinging the sword is dazzling, and that occasional blush that he showed when embarrassed? That's clearly a foul, isn't it?'

To have this personality with that kind of face.

Really, it will be weirder if I don't develop feelings for him.

'I want to pamper him so bad.'

It was a feeling different from love.

No, if I consider the meaning of love broadly, then it might actually be love.

'So I love him?'

I tilted my head at the question.

'It's fun.'

Either way, it's true that I want to pamper him so badly.

'Hm, how should I convince him to sleep together with me?'

It was the moment when Bianca awakens to a strange desire.

*** MC POV ***

My whole body suddenly trembled.

'What? What is it?'

Something… Something is wrong. But I don't know what it is.

'It's not an enemy, is it?'

I looked around and saw that Bianca was still there, swinging her legs as if having fun.

'Right, if there's an enemy, then Bianca would be the first one to notice.'

Probably because she had noticed my gaze, Bianca smiled and waved at me.

It was a beautiful smile by a beautiful girl.

If she were to show that smile to anyone in the village, wouldn't everyone get charmed at once?

'Was she a succubus in her past life? She had that much destructive power, at least.'

I shook my head and waved back before continuing on my practice.

'I think I'm comfortable enough with my sword skill.'

I have learned the quick strike and power strike, up to the 2nd and 1st arts, respectively.

'Counterstrike seemed a bit hard to learn, not because the technique itself was complex, but probably because I didn't have the right environment to learn it.'

Specifically, I need a fighting partner to learn it.

Practicing with Bianca alone was not enough.

'How should I put it… I understand all of it in my head, but I just can't get the timing right.'

It's tricky to learn compared to all the other skills I have.

I also need to practice the other skills, so I decided to focus on those for now.

'Footwork, grappling, fistfight… Even throwing?'

Let's forget auxiliary skills like stealth and vision.

I focused on skill practice after Bianca had decreased my physical exercise program.

'Bianca said it wouldn't help me much whether I do push-ups a thousand or two thousand times a day at this point.'

Apparently, there's this 'diminishing returns' that appeared for physical training beyond a certain point.

For me, this basically means that the amount of time and effort I spend yields so few returns that it doesn't make sense to waste those resources there.

So rather than spending time and energy doing push-ups, spending all those resources elsewhere would be more efficient.

'I asked Bianca again to teach me aura, but she refused and said that I should get used to my improved physique first. Even if it's just by moving around and playing with my skills. So that's what I do.'

My throwing skill is still ambiguous for real combat.

But everything else is somewhat usable if we only consider fighting small fries like goblins.

'No, was I underestimating myself?'

This is the drawback of not being able to see a status window.

'I have to test directly fighting them later, but maybe, I can overpower goblins? I think I can even win against Hobgoblin bare-handed now… It's crazy, considering I almost died fighting one last time.'

Should I say as expected of legendary skills?

Even a normal fist feels stronger than a truck running at full speed.

'If it's like this, I don't need to learn blunt weapon skills at all.'

Somehow, I became like the original Raon Eva, who was strong when fighting bare-handed.

'Of course, unlike him whose main weapon is his fists, my main weapon is the sword. So there are bounds to be difference in the way we fight.'

Raon chose fists because other weapons are incompatible with his fighting style, which mixes aura and mana to fight.

Those two opposite energy chips away and can even destroy any weapon if you mix them together.

However, Raon's body was a cheat that continuously healed itself even when broken down by the ferocious mix of energy.

So, somehow, it became a suicidal fighting style that could deal tremendous damage to both himself and his enemies.

'It's a crazy way of fighting.'

Then again, it's a valid way to fight. It's something that only Raon Eva could do, so I would probably also learn to fight like that someday.

'I don't like getting hurt, but…'

If that's what it takes to save the world, then I probably need to get used to it.

Of course, my priority right now should be to improve my other combat skills equally instead of just my fist skill.

'But, counter strike, is it…'

My thoughts kept coming back to that sword skill.

'I have tried it many times, although most attempts have failed.'

I feel like I need to practice it against a real monster to learn the skill properly.

'Bianca helped me with it, and I think I can use it about 50% of the time if I'm practicing against her. But I'm not confident I can use it at all times when I was being attacked by monsters.'

Even against humanoid opponents besides Bianca, it's about 25%.

No, if we consider that it was necessary to be able to counter against my opponent no matter the situation, then barely 10%?

'Sure, it's barely been a few weeks since I practiced the counter strike. Still, I can't help but to get impatient.'

Getting stronger is fun.

Feeling like you've gotten better each day is fun.

So, I want to learn everything as fast as I can, if possible.

"Raon."

"Hm?"

It was when I was about to use my movement skills to retrieve the dagger I threw.

Bianca came up to me with a flushed expression on her face.

"I have something important to say."

"..."

Something feels wrong, but what is it?

It was the moment when I trembled due to a bad premonition about the future.

Ch 11 – Vision Skill

Ch 11 – Vision Skill

"My dignity..."

The time was day.

I was looking up to the sky like a philosopher who was questioning the meaning of life.

It seems like, in the process of gaining precious things, I also lost something precious.

Everything was fine when Bianca said she was worried about me.

In fact, I feel touched to know that there was someone out there who cared so much about my well-being.

But why… why did she ask to sleep together?

'No, that much is fine… The problem is her other request.'

Why did she even ask to take a bath with me and wash each other's backs?

'This isn't right…'

No matter how much she treats me like a cat, in the end, am I not a male?

There's no problem if she went back to her dragon form… but didn't she stay in human form?

And a really pretty human girl at that.

'It's true that I'm just a child at this point, but… you know?'

My soul is that of an undergraduate student.

Sure, even in that world, it wasn't long since I was considered an adult, but…

'I reap what I sow, I guess.'

In the end, this is also the result of my past decisions.

I had previously chosen to gain Bianca's favor, even if it meant I had to act cute or do things to make her happy.

'Plus, we are teacher and disciple.'

Didn't they say your teacher is your second parent?

I don't know what will happen after I become an adult, but for now, I fully intend only to see her in that way.

'Right. It's fine if I just endure it.'

I nodded with a newfound determination.

'Well, I've rested enough. Let's continue the practice.'

Unlike usual, what I'm going to practice today is not swordsmanship or my other fighting skills.

'Whew. Here goes.'

It was when I activated my auxiliary skills.

[White Dragon Vision]

The world suddenly transformed into a collection of words and numbers.

It was a skill that lets you see the essence of things.

If you have ever played MMORPG, it's one of those identification skills that lets you find information about whatever you see.

Apparently, I can adjust how I want the information to be presented, too.

For Bianca, she sees the world in colors and shapes.

For me, the world appears in words and numbers.

This is probably because I am used to seeing the status window and all kinds of information screen from my time as a player.

The drawback is that words are slower to process than images.

'Because I have to read them.'

Which is why Bianca's method was better and faster.

She could instantly find what she want to know, even in the midst of a hectic battle, because the information she needs were presented visually.

'I can't do that just yet.'

As efficient as it is, I am still at the early stage of learning.

I should take things one step at a time instead of rushing impatiently.

'Of course, there are other effects befitting a legendary grade skill.'

Finding enemies' weaknesses, finding someone's true nature, perfect memory, you name it.

'However, due to my proficiency being too low, this is the most I can do.'

Unfortunately, there are negative side effects.

'My head hurts.'

It's a skill that doesn't consume mana, aura, or any other resource.

Heck, it can even bypass abnormal status ailments and special fields where it's forbidden to use skill.

However, due to the large amount of information that was suddenly coming to my brain, the mental load was no joke.

Bianca told me that it's only hard in the beginning.

So until my proficiency increased, I think I will get a headache whenever I use this skill.

'Calm down. If I narrow my focus, I should be able to filter only the information I need.'

I deactivated the skill for a moment, took a deep breath, and activated it again.

For now, let's look for the herbs.

I looked at the ground and began to move forward.

Bianca hid a rare herb somewhere in the forest.

It was disguised with magic to look like the grass I'm currently stepping on.

So unless I activated the skill, there was no way for me to find it with my current abilities.

'But where is it?'

I had been walking for quite a while, but if it was like this, wouldn't I stay in the forest until dinner?

'Let's think of another way.'

Rather than filtering the grass one by one, maybe there's a better way.

'Ah, come to think of it. If it's disguised with magic, then… Can't I just detect the magic?'

Of course, normal grass also has mana, even if the amount is miniscule.

Because, unlike aura, mana is everywhere.

But since this was just a test, Bianca surely must have made it solvable.

'If it's affected by magic, then there should be more mana on that herb compared to the rest of the grass.'

So, if I can just filter the skill to only work on objects with mana above a certain threshold…

'This could work.'

I immediately put my idea into action.

After failing several times, I finally found the herb I was looking for.

'It was this easy...'

I feel like an idiot for struggling so much.

But now that I learned how to do it properly, I'm confident that I would never have to struggle when trying to accomplish similar task in the future.

I picked up the herb on the ground.

Immediately, the disguise came off, and a flower with icy-blue petals appeared.

'This is…'

It's a flower that would make you smarter if consumed.

It sounds like a scam that would work great on moms who want their children to enter a good university.

But in this fantasy world, what would normally be considered a scam could very well be genuine.

This flower is one example of that.

"Bianca, you're watching, right?"

"Yup."

Then, Bianca suddenly appeared on my side.

She was squatting next to me while resting her chin on both palms.

"Was that perfect stealth?"

It was another auxiliary skill she taught me.

"Handy, right? Even traps and magic tools couldn't detect me. If you're at my level, then you could even hide others and fool fate."

"Fate?"

"There's such a thing."

She smiled.

"Anyway, congratulations. I know the skill has been hard on you, so I prepared this as a gift."

Really… She was so considerate when it came to me.

"Now that the practice is over. Let's go home. You look quite dirty from all the walk too, so I'll help you clean up, hehe."

Of course, it's ruined because she says things like this in the end.

"Haha."

I could only give her a weak laugh.

In any case, she's a good teacher and someone I'm grateful to.

Certain parts are a bit disappointing, but isn't that true for everyone?

'Right. Let's just accept it.'

I prepared myself for what was to come and walked home with Bianca as she talked happily about this and that.

Surprisingly, our walk home doesn't feel too bad.

Ch 12 - A Teacher's Heart

Ch 12 - A Teacher's Heart

*** Bianca POV ***

"Ah…"

The plate I was washing slipped from my hand and broke into pieces.

"Oh, no! Are you hurt?"

Raon's mom dropped what she was doing and ran up to me.

"I'm okay. Rather than that, I'm sorry."

"Are you really okay? How about you rest a little?"

"No, I…"

"Don't worry about the plate. I'll take care of it."

Instead of getting angry at me for breaking the plate, her first concern was my well-being.

'I think I can understand where Raon's care toward others came from.'

I smiled a little as I imagined my disciple's face.

'I wonder if he's awake by now.'

It was when I was about to raise my magic to detect Raon's presence in the room.

"Huh?"

A bad feeling.

My gaze went to the window, far beyond the forest, up the hill where my lair is.

'Did someone break in?'

My cave was filled with mana to scare out monsters and anyone who got close.

But that's not the only reason.

It also detected intruders whenever they came in, even if I was away.

'The fact that they broke the mana means that they must be an enemy, right?'

At the very least, they must be someone very aggressive in nature.

If you came into someone's house uninvited and even went so far as to break down the open gate when you could just walk in peacefully, then you must be doing it to provoke me.

'Hm… I don't want to leave Raon, but… Should I check?'

[White Dragon Vision]

It was when the world was filled with a myriad of colors and shapes.

"...!"

A familiar sight.

It seems like one of the intruders is someone I knew very well.

But, honestly, he's not a welcome presence either.

'I don't like it…'

I'm sure he also felt the same way.

We didn't part in a good way, so there were bound to be bad feelings toward each other.

At the very least, he's not someone who would ever come to meet me unless he has something really important to say.

'Nicht…'

A black dragon who once used to be my close friend.

If I have to say it in human terms, he's my childhood friend.

'Until he starts to dabble in black magic and curse, that is.'

Even his personality starts to become rotten by then.

'To think that he would bring such a rowdy bunch… His standards must have fallen so low.'

From the looks of it, my magic was cut by a sword attack.

'A power strike.'

A technique from Absolute Blade Arts.

'Must be his disciples… To think that even the techniques we developed together with the previous dragon lord have deteriorated to this extent.'

It wasn't supposed to be this rough.

Even though power strike was Nicht's specialty, it used to be more sophisticated than this.

If the previous dragon lord were still here, she would surely cry at the sight.

Then again, she had disappeared for decades already.

'It's not like she had perfect stealth like me. So where is she?'

From the moment I noticed Nicht's presence, I couldn't help but feel nostalgic and think of the lord.

It would be nice if she had at least left a disciple or traces behind, but if she suddenly disappeared like this, I couldn't find her even if I wanted to.

'It's not like I never tried, but…'

I raised my gaze to the sky.

'I should go, right? To meet Nicht.'

Still, even if I know what to do... I can't help but hesitate.

'Hngh… I really don't want to go!'

However, considering Nicht's current personality, he might just come to me and destroy the village in anger if I make him wait any longer.

'That would be worse.'

Of course, I can fight back.

I will never lose in a fair fight.

But I'm not sure I can protect the villagers if he went all out.

So, this is not the time for me to be selfish.

'More importantly, Raon would be sad.'

It's the village my cute disciple risked his life to protect.

If I can't protect it myself, then the least I can do as his teacher is to keep this village away from harm.

It can't be helped, I will go.

'Raon…'

My intuition told me that I would be away for a long time.

I trust this intuition and my eyes that can even catch glimpses of fate.

My heart became heavy as soon as I foresaw the long journey ahead.

So I took a paper and wrote a message on it.

It was a message written with magic.

It doesn't take a second to write down, as all I need to do is print my thoughts and feelings on the paper with mana.

'A handy technique.'

It would be even better if Raon had learned this skill, too.

There are many skills I didn't teach him.

Mainly because I didn't think I would leave him this early, but also because I didn't think he was ready to learn most of those skills.

'If I knew it's going to be like this, then I would just teach them all.'

It's not hard to create skill books.

The only condition is to master the skill to a very high degree and use a creation skill to write it.

It's not hard at all. It just takes time.

'And time is the one thing I don't have right now.'

I gave the paper to Raon's mom and told her to give it to Raon.

"Are you leaving?"

She's sharp.

"You noticed?"

"That child will be sad."

"I know. So I will try to come back as soon as I can."

"I see. I'm glad to hear that."

She smiled.

"Please know that you are always welcome in this home."

I smiled back.

"Thank you."

"No, thank you so much, for everything."

We said goodbye, and I went to my lair.

'Raon…'

But even then, instead of thinking about Nicht and whatever business he may have, my head was full of thoughts about the boy.

Will he be okay without me?

Can he grow properly in the future?

What if he gets hurt?

'Stupid disciple.'

To make his teacher worry this much…

Really, what a hopeless disciple he is.

Ch 13 - Second Disaster

Ch 13 - Second Disaster

*** MC POV ***

I changed my mind.

Living together with Bianca was fine and all.

But when she insisted that we stay close 24/7, I just knew that something had to change.

'At the very least, I don't think the relationship we have is healthy.'

Don't be mistaken; I think of Bianca as a good person and a benefactor.

Her actions and words have proved her character to be good.

Her existence is a blessing, not just to me but also to the people around us.

'Didn't she even help a stranger rebuild his home today?'

And she even refused payment when she saw he didn't have that much wealth to begin with.

But this and that are different.

'Just because she's a good person, that doesn't mean it's okay to invade my privacy.'

So, I will definitely talk to her about it today.

If she didn't stop even after I said this much, then I could only take a drastic measure.

'A boycott… No, would a silent protest be enough?'

Didn't Nelson Mandela make a nonviolent protest to change the world?

'If he can do it, then I can do it too.'

Right, let's find Bianca and give her a piece of my mind.

"Bianca."

It was when I opened the door to the kitchen, expecting Bianca to be there, helping my mom like always.

"Huh?"

Where is she?

Was my confusion apparent?

Mom tilted her head and called out to me.

"Raon? Were you looking for something?"

"Mom, where is Bianca?"

"Bianca? Oh… right."

Mom began with difficulty.

"Bianca, she… she left this morning."

"She… left?"

"Yes."

"Did something happen?"

"Well..."

"..."

I wonder what happened?

It would be nice if Bianca said something to me before she left at least.

Of course, it's not like Bianca is obligated to tell me about everything she did, but still...

'I guess even Bianca has to leave my side someday.'

I heaved a sigh and looked out the window.

'I should've expected it.'

It's normal for anyone to have urgent business at times.

'This is a good thing. '

After all, I achieved my goal without difficulties.

'At least, that's how it's supposed to be, but what is this?'

This strangely defeated feeling of mine…

'Give me back my resolve.'

In the end, I was worried for nothing after all.

"Ah, that's right! Come to think of it… Bianca left something for you."

"She did?"

"Wait for a bit, okay? It should be somewhere around here."

Mom went to the living room and opened a drawer.

She took out a piece of paper and gave it to me.

I tried to read it, but…

"Uh, mom."

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Nothing's written here?"

I showed her the paper I was holding.

I have checked both sides; it is just a blank piece of paper.

"Really? That's weird. She definitely said she left a message."

"A message…"

"Well, she's human too. She must have forgotten to write it down since she was in a hurry."

"Hm…"

A message.

I don't think she would forget something like that, no matter how much in a hurry she was.

'Huh? Wait a moment?'

Is it a message that only I can read?

"Thank you, mom. Do you mind if I take this?"

"Oh, not at all, sweetheart. That paper was meant for you in the first place.".

I told Mom I was going to my room and locked the door.

Then, I looked at the paper again.

[White Dragon Vision].

Immediately, as if the previous sight was a lie, words appear where there was none before.

[Raon,

It pains me to say this, but something important arose, and I must leave you for a moment. I can't say when, but please know that I really, truly, seriously will try my best to come back as soon as possible…]

The message kept going on and on, telling me how regretful Bianca was to leave me behind, how much she would miss me, how to take care of myself so I don't get hurt, and so on.

'It's like she's my guardian.'

That might be close to the truth, actually.

[An important guest has come.]

'A guest? Who was it?'

As I read the message, my smile gradually stiffened, and I opened my eyes wide at the last paragraph.

"...! This is!"

[The black dragon, Nicht.]

It was a familiar name to me.

To be precise, it's the black dragon that would kill Bianca in the original game.

[So please don't worry about me and continue your practice.]

How can I not worry?

Now that I know Bianca might die, I can't stay calm and continue my practice.

'This is not the time for practice.'

Still, if two dragons fight each other for real, then there's not much I can do to help with the fight.

'At the very least, I should warn her before it comes to that.'

If she's fully prepared, then she should at least be able to protect herself even in dangerous situations.

'Right. If I go now, I might be able to catch her.'

I immediately went out and looked around.

[White Dragon Vision]

I was expecting to find traces of Bianca's mana with my eyes, but–

"…!"

What appeared in my eyes was information about hordes of monsters marching towards the village.

"Skeletons!?"

It was the moment when a second disaster was about to befall the village.

*** Bianca's POV ***

"What are you doing, Nicht!? Have you gone mad!?"

I thumped upon the black barrier as I saw hordes of skeletons marching towards the village.

"Not only have you dabbled in black magic, you even do necromancy?"

I pulled out the sword and struck the barrier with my full strength.

Not only did the barrier not break, but the black miasma even started to erode my sword.

So, I removed the corrosion and attacked the barrier again.

And again.

And again.

It was not until I lost count that Nicht looked at me pitifully and said.

"It's useless, Bianca. This is something that took me months to make. Even if it's you, you would need to keep attacking the barrier for 7 days and 7 nights to break free."

"Release me right now! Why are you doing this!?"

"You know why, don't you? It's because you refused to be mine."

"Don't be absurd! You don't even love me."

"Love? Is that even important? Think of the future, Bianca. If you and I joined hands, even becoming the next Dragon Lord wouldn't be a pipe dream."

My face must have stiffened at that.

"The next Dragon Lord? What are you saying? The current Lord is not dead!"

"But she had been missing for ages."

"Even then–"

"Someone who ignored her duty is not fit to be a lord. Give it up, Bianca. Among us, dragons, you are the only one who are still waiting for the lord's return."

"..."

Lord…

"So how about it, Bianca? If you become mine, then I will spare the villagers."

"Do you think I'll accept?"

"Oh, of course you will. Didn't you even take in another disciple from that village? You must have loved him dearly if you even teach him the sword technique we made."

"You… How did you–"

"You think I don't know? I have been investigating you these past few months, Bianca."

He then shook his head.

"No, not just these few months. I have been watching you from the time we met up until today. Because you are that special, Bianca."

He came closer and stroked the barrier from the other side as if trying to caress my face.

"You have something that only the Lord should have."

His gaze was full of madness.

"A gift."

A unique property of humans and demons.

"It was something no other dragons could have."

Because dragons were beings that were closer to monsters, although the other dragons would never admit it.

"So I was wondering."

Nicht smirked.

"What would happen if I put you under my control?"

'Ah… I see…'

When he asked me to become his, he didn't mean to ask me to be his bride but to be something else entirely.

'Nicht…'

The being in front of me was no longer the childhood friend I used to know, and that fact made me feel sad.

"So, how about it, Bianca? Will you be mine?"

My understanding had changed, but the answer was still the same.

"Never."

Nicht's face rotted in real time.

"Then, it can't be helped. The skeletons will destroy the village."

"No, they won't."

"What?"

"Because a hero was there."

Raon Eva.

He had been extraordinary even before he met me.

But now that he had gone through rigorous training, even an army of undead wouldn't be enough.

'There's one problem though.'

Nicht's disciple.

One of them went to help the skeletons and followed Nicht's bidding.

'Fortunately, his other disciple had left to do other tasks somewhere. Including Nicht's strongest disciple.'

Still, even though it's the weakest, a dragon's disciple might be too much for the current Raon to handle.

'Please be safe, Raon.'

It was then.

"Ha… How funny."

Nicht laughed and glared in the direction of the village.

"Then let's see what this hero can do."

Fortunately, it doesn't seem like Nicht would join the attack.

'Because he had to maintain the barrier.'

Still, I should also try to do something instead of just hoping for the best.

'My gift.'

It was the moment when the power I sealed was about to unleash.

Ch 14 - Village Evacuation

Ch 14 - Village Evacuation

*** MC's POV ***

"Monsters! The monsters are coming!"

I climbed the tallest house in the village and shouted as loud as I could.

Heck, I even used mana to make my voice travel far and wide. So if even this didn't work, I could only wish for the best for the villagers while I go and stall the hordes.

Fortunately, what I feared most didn't happen, as the villagers came out from their houses and workplaces one by one to gather around me.

"Everyone, listen up!"

Then, the people who had been whispering to each other stopped what they were doing and focused on me.

"A horde of skeletons are coming! So all of you need to evacuate, now!"

I could see their surprise, so I thought they had believed what I said and would obediently escape.

However–

"Why are you still here…?"

No one leaves.

But why? The situation was urgent. A horde of skeletons was different from a horde of goblins, not only in terms of strength but also in quantity. Skeletons were at least one grade stronger than goblins, and even that depended on the being who raised them.

'A necromancer… No, considering Bianca's letter, was it the Black Dragon?'

It would be fine if we were dealing with a normal necromancer.

If that's the case, then the skeletons would probably be at the level of hobgoblins, whose entire bodies were clad in protective mana. They might even be able to use weapons like swords, but I think I can deal with them if it's just that much.

But what if they were skeletons raised by a Black Dragon?

'Then I'm screwed.'

Let alone winning, I'm not even sure I can stall for time.

By then, it would be too late to inform the villagers about the danger they're in and have them evacuate.

Even if they ran away by then, it would be too late.

'Because ordinary humans can't run away from skeletons.'

Unlimited stamina. The lack of need for sleeping, eating, and drinking.

It's obvious which side would get slaughtered first.

What if the humans fight back?

'That would be worse.'

Normal weapons wouldn't be able to damage monsters who protected their body with mana.

It's one thing if the monsters let down their guard like the hobgoblin I fought in the past, but...

'Skeletons don't even have brains in the first place, let alone unstable emotions to take advantage of.'

And from what I've seen so far, no one in this village could put up a proper fight.

So the best thing they can do now is to evacuate from this place.

'But what are they doing?'

Why is everyone looking at everyone else as if not sure what to do?

"Raon."

Then, an older man walked closer to me.

"Village chief…"

Although he was quite old, the village chief still looked healthy enough to run with the villagers.

It must be because he had been living a hard life in the village.

If you are an adult man, then you either need to plow the field all day, walk in the forest all day to hunt or forage for food, or work in your craft all day to feed your family.

'He's healthy, but… Just in case.'

I jumped down from the building so that he didn't have to look up and strain his neck.

"Young hero…"

The village chief said with difficulty.

"We want to believe you, but without any proof to back your words, it's…"

"Proof, is it?"

The only proof I have is the information that I see with my vision skills.

But it's not like the villagers can use similar skills, right?

'So let's use a simpler solution.'

In my previous world, people used to say this: "I'll believe it when I see it."

But since there are too many things in the world that cannot be seen, some of these people realize it too late and get slapped hard by life.

'Fortunately, the villagers have it better.'

Why? Because a horde of skeletons are things that can be seen.

So, isn't it enough to just let them see the hordes with their own eyes?

After all, the skeletons are already moving as we speak.

"I can prove it."

I said with confidence.

"Yes? How?"

"You'll believe it when you see it."

"What– Whoa!"

I slung the village chief on my left shoulder as if I were carrying a bag of rice.

"W-wait, what's the meaning of this?"

"It takes too long to explain. Ah, I'll take one other person with me, okay?

"Whoa!"

I slung another man on my right shoulder. It was Uncle Dao, who just happened to be the closest person to us.

Some people look surprised to see a 10-year-old carrying an adult on each shoulder.

But after all of my training, doing this much is easy.

I spoke to the two men as I tightened my hold.

"Grit your teeth and don't bite your tongue."

"Huh?"

[Extreme Mirage Footwork]

""Gyaaaaah…!""

Both men screamed as I rushed towards the horde.

"Do you believe me now?"

Both men nodded repeatedly with pale faces as we stood above the tallest tree, overlooking the skeleton hordes.

Were they trembling because of the skeletons or because of how high we were?

Either way, since we were done with what we needed to do, I began to carry them back and run to the village.

'Still, it's unfortunate.'

I was hoping to find the mastermind who raised the skeletons and kill them if I could.

However, due to the sheer number of skeletons—so many that my entire vision was full of whites—I couldn't locate them and gave up.

'From the looks of it, it's not the black dragon.'

The skeletons are just that, skeletons.

There are no special characteristics of any kind other than the fact that they're all holding sharp weapons made from animal bones.

'But what's with that number?'

The quantity of skeletons is too large for a normal necromancer to raise.

So, I must be dealing with someone stronger here.

'A necromancer who possessed a gift related to raising skeletons… Or maybe…'

As I was thinking of the other possibilities, we arrived in the village.

Fortunately, not much time had passed since we left, so most of the villagers were still gathered together, waiting for the news.

I put both men down and told them.

"Chief, uncle, you know how urgent the situation is, right?"

They nodded.

"Good. Now please take the villagers and evacuate."

"What about you?"

The chief asked. Uncle Dao took a step back as if he didn't want to cut in, but he still looked worried at me.

'They must have already guessed what my answer is.'

I turned my gaze toward the distance where the skeletons would be.

"I will hold them back."

"Yes? No, no, come with us. It's too dangerous there."

The chief pleads.

"It can't be helped. Someone needs to do it."

And besides, I have something important to tell my teacher.

'Bianca…'

I hope I'm not too late.

"So leave this place to me and go first!"

Both of them gave up and wished me luck before starting to evacuate with the villagers.

'Now then.'

It's time to hunt some skeletons.

Ch 15 - Me vs Skeletons

Ch 15 - Me vs Skeletons

A while after leaving the village, I finally see the horde of skeletons in the distance.

Luckily, they had moved to a clearing in the forest, so they were the perfect target for me to attack.

"Here goes."

I kept running at full speed and kicked the ground to fly my body at them.

And then–

[Absolute Blade Arts]

[Quick Strike, First Art - Vorpal Thrust]

I thrust my sword forward.

Immediately, dozens of skeletons that stood in my path broke down and crumbled.

After killing the skeletons like that, I stopped in their center and took a pivoting sword stance.

The other skeletons, as if sensing the presence of an enemy, began to surround me, but–

'Perfect.'

In the first place, the sword strike I was about to use was meant to be used against a horde of enemies.

[Absolute Blade Arts]

[Power Strike, First Art - Sky Destroying Whirlwind]

I held the sword with both hands, poured my mana, and then spun around in a revolving manner, producing countless slashes around the surrounding area that decimated the skeletons, close and far.

And then–

[Blast]

I released the concentrated mana all a once and swung towards the sky.

"Fly up!"

Then, the ground caved in, and a blast of whirlwind soared towards the sky with me in the center.

The skeletons got blasted up towards the sky and were cut by the countless slashes within the whirlwind.

I took a moment of rest as I observed my condition.

'As expected of the power strike, both the power and mana consumption are no joke.'

It was a great AOE skill that consisted of two parts.

'[Sky Destroying Whirlwind Blast]'

A continuous spinning attack that sucks in the wind, followed by a final upward strike that blasts them at once.

Depending on the enemies, though, I might have to refrain from using the [Blast] strike too often.

'Because it costs too much mana.'

I don't know about the future, but currently, this body only has enough mana to cast this skill for a few more times at best.

'But I can hold on for much longer if I just use the [Sky Destroying Whirlwind] part.'

And since the skeleton quantity is this large… I have no choice but to save up my strength.

'Alright, rest time's over.'

Seeing that the whirlwind had disappeared and the cloud of dust was about to be cleared, I tried to sneak away from the encirclement.

[Perfect Stealth]

Fortunately, I found a way out so that I don't have to open the way forcefully using [Vorpal Thrust] and cancel my stealth.

The remaining skeletons stopped in place as if confused by their inability to sense the enemy that was supposed to be there.

I put some distance between us and took out two daggers, imbuing them with mana.

If I use [Mana Thread] on these daggers, which is a basic mana manipulation technique that any 1-circle could use, and pull the flying daggers around, I should be able to reduce their numbers without consuming too much strength.

'Two daggers is my current limit, but…'

I'm looking forward to the day when I tied a [Mana Thread] on each finger and flew ten daggers around like the creator of this skill.

[Lee's Throwing Technique].

I immediately put my idea into practice and threw both knives forward.

Since I had just launched an attack, my stealth got undone, and the unsuspecting skeletons turned their attention to me.

However, everything was too late for them by then.

[White Dragon Vision].

The flying daggers flew around and pierced the skeletons only on their weak points.

After piercing a few skeletons, it would be normal for the daggers to slow down. Still, I didn't even let that happen as I pulled around the daggers using the attached mana strings.

The skeletons crumbled helplessly as they tried to get close to me.

And finally, when they managed to get close enough to me. I retrieved my daggers and threw out a punch.

[Soaring Dragon Fist].

Then, a shockwave exploded and pushed the skeletons backward, far enough for me to take out my daggers a second time and launch another onslaught.

[Lee's Throwing Technique].

The skeletons fell from the flying daggers and repeated the same pattern as before.

'Luckily, they're brainless.'

It would be different if the one who raised the skeletons took control or even if a commander-class undead like Death Knight was around to lead them.

Since they're not here, I should probably reduce their numbers as much as possible while saving my strength for the final battle.

'But seriously, where are they?'

The one who raised these skeletons.

Despite the favorable situation on the battlefield, I couldn't help but feel bad about all this.

'It doesn't seem like they're very powerful as a necromancer, but… If they were able to raise this many skeletons at once, then the amount of mana they have would be so vast.'

If such beings had another trick up their sleeve, the best I could do was prepare for an ambush.

While maintaining a sense of caution, I continued to defeat the skeletons in front.

However, my fear turned out to be unfounded after all.

The last skeletons fell as my dagger found its mark. I retrieved both daggers and tried to catch my breath, surveying the battlefield littered with bone and dust.

'Is that it? Really?'

Though victory was assured, a sense of unease crept over me.

'It was too easy that it's suspicious.'

Are they looking down on the village, thinking that no one would be able to defeat the horde of skeletons?

'It's not impossible, but…'

There had never been a case where an enemy would be so easy during my days as a player.

'Just in case, I should probably look around before heading to Bianca.'

It was when I had just activated my vision skills.

"What…?!"

The pile of bones that filled the surroundings lit up so brightly all at once.

I know this phenomenon. It was the prelude to the [Corpse Explosion] skill.

'So that's it! From the beginning, they didn't care whether anyone stopped the horde or not.'

There was no need to raise a high-level undead either.

Because it's enough to explode the corpses all at once.

And with this quantity of corpses and mana, be it the forest, the village, or even me.

It's possible to destroy everything at once.

"Damn it!"

It's too late to run away now.

'I had no choice, the only way to survive is to use this sword skill.'

But can I even do it? Despite having failed so often?

'No, I have to do it. There's no other way around it.'

It was when I raised my concentration to the max and was about to unsheathe my sword.

"[Corpse Explosion]"

A cracked voice was heard from underground.

Then, a series of huge explosions occurred, and the world was filled with pure white.

Ch 16 - Hero's Death

Ch 16 - Hero's Death

** Village Chief's POV **

It happened when we were climbing the hill.

"It was true…"

A man murmured as he looked into the distance.

Other villagers followed the man's gaze and widened their eyes.

It was understandable.

Why? Because everything looked so white, from the mountain range to the forest below, as if all the grasses had been turned into bones.

However, these bones are moving in an orderly fashion toward the village, like an army that is about to go to war.

'If such a large horde were to surround us… No, even if they simply chased us as we tried to escape.'

Then everything would be over.

There's no way we could run away from them, and even if we can, for how long?

The only reason we had managed to run away with our lives right now is thanks to the boy who had chosen to sacrifice himself for us.

'Raon Eva…'

A young hero who had driven away the goblins.

And now, that young hero had once again risen to fight against a horde of monsters.

To think that we had to rely and leave our entire fate to such a young child…

'I feel ashamed…'

If only I had learned to fight during my youth.

No, even if I had just learned to fight after the goblins had invaded, then surely, I could have taken his place and prevented him from throwing away his life and entire future for us.

'But alas… regret always comes last.'

It was too late to wallow in regret.

The best thing I can do right now is to lead the villagers to safety while the young hero buys some time for us.

"Everyone, keep moving! Don't stop until we reach the city!"

There's no time to stay still.

If we delay any longer, then the hero's sacrifice might be in vain.

'I can't let that happen.'

At the very least, I should continue his legacy and protect what the young hero had tried to protect.

'There's a problem though.'

I looked to the side. There, a woman who seemed too young to be a mother kept looking back toward the horde of skeletons—or rather, toward where her son must be right now.

Normally, you wouldn't even think that it was possible to find a single person amidst that sea of white.

But was it a mother's intuition?

"Ah…"

She widened her eyes and let out a small gasp.

"Raon…"

From how worried she looked, she must have found the figure of her son.

It was an impressive feat, but it was unnecessary, considering that her feet had stopped moving forward.

If anything, didn't she even turn around as if trying to go back right now?

"Ma'am."

"Chief…"

She couldn't take a step.

To be precise, she tried to, but I held one of her arms.

"Let go…"

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that…"

"My son was there… He was there…"

"I know… but still, you shouldn't go there."

"But why?! Why can't I go? What if something happened to my son?"

"..."

I was about to reason with her, but when I realized how emotional she had become, I realized that there were no words that could convince her.

At this point, I needed to fight emotion not with reason but to overwhelm her with a stronger feeling.

So I killed my conscience and spoke coldly to her, trying to be as threatening as I could.

"And what can you do if you go?"

"What…?"

"Do you even know how to fight? Or what? Can you even think of a way for the two of you to survive?"

"That's…"

I waited for a moment to let my words sink in.

"Do you understand now? If you go there, the only thing you could do was to be a burden to him and helplessly get killed."

Her eyes trembled. I was about to say more, but I chose to observe her for now. If she understood this much, then there was no need for me to speak any harsher to her.

Fortunately, it seems like she would listen to me for now.

'But… just in case…'

I exchanged a silent gaze with Dao, asking him to take care of her.

He just nodded and stuck close to her as we continued our march.

'Haiz… being a leader is hard…'

Then again, it was a task that someone had to do.

A task that would be far lighter compared to what the young hero had taken.

'A task that someone had to do… was it?'

The young hero also said something similar before he left.

'To be so responsible at such a young age… he's very talented to be a leader.'

He was probably even more talented than the first hero, who was said to have been born as a natural leader.

'For this land to be the birthplace of both heroes… was it a sign after all.'

The birth of a hero.

In a way, heroes are the hope of humankind.

Why? Because a hero would only be born when the world was at risk of being destroyed.

That's why their power was absolutely necessary to save the world.

But that also means that a huge danger must be looming soon—a crisis that would befall the entire human race.

At best, it would happen when the hero had reached their old age.

'No, why am I thinking about this?'

I shook my head to drive away the thought. No matter how much that boy reminds me of the hero from Legends, he was nothing more than a normal boy from the village.

'Surely… right?'

The more I think about the boy, the more I notice the similarities between him and the hero of Legends. Especially his bravery and how he had always been proactive about protecting others from harm.

'That's not the quality of an ordinary 10-year-old.'

What if Raon Eva is truly the hero?

And what if he died because we left him at this place?

'That would be the worst.'

At that point, humanity's extinction will be guaranteed.

It was when I started to worry about this and that.

"H-hey! Look!"

A villager pointed back to where we came from. Or, to be precise, to a clearing in the forest where the skeleton should be, but–-

"W-what is that?"

"A cyclone?"

It was a scenery so absurd that I couldn't help but rub my eyes in doubt.

A hurricane that rose so high as if it was trying to swallow the clouds.

And a sea of skeletons that gets sucked into it and sliced to pieces.

Forgetting our goal to run away, all of us just looked at the scenery as if in awe.

Then, the hurricane disappeared, and the figure of a lone boy was seen, fighting the horde of skeletons with incredible might all by itself.

And rather than getting pushed back, he was the one who pushed the enemies back.

If anything, didn't he even manage to kill such a large amount of enemies?

'I know he was strong, but I didn't know that he was this strong.'

It was a scene that seemed out of this world, so I couldn't help but be deeply impressed by his figure.

"A hero."

Someone murmured.

And I'm sure that everyone else also felt the same way when they looked at the boy.

'He might or might not be the real hero who would save the world, but… to us, his death would be no less painful than a hero's death.'

So we watched his gallant figure with bated breath.

And when he finally defeated all of the skeletons.

"Yes! He did it!"

"He defeated them all!"

"Wow!"

The villagers cheered as if they were happy about his success.

Even I felt like cheering along with them.

However, our joy was short-lived as something unexpected happened.

"H-Hey, what is that?"

"The remains! They look weird!"

At that moment, the remains of the skeletons scattered here and there shone so brightly that they illuminated the entire forest, all the way to the base of the mountain range.

And then, suddenly–

""WHOA!!!""

A seemingly endless number of explosions occurred and shook the entire area. Although the explosion didn't reach us, we could still feel the hot air all the way here, far above the hill, away from the center of the explosion. It was a series of explosions so powerful that anything close must have been blown away to pieces.

'Raon! What about the hero?!'

I tried to lower my hands from my eyes and took a peek at where the young hero had been, but–

"Ah…"

No one was there. Or rather, nothing was left.

The ground, the trees, the bones. Even our houses in the distance got caught up in the explosions and were reduced to ashes.

From our village, the forest, and all the way to the base of the mountain range, everything disappeared as if it had been erased from existence. Only a large amount of craters were there as if the place had been bombed by many small meteors that had fallen from the sky.

And, of course, it was the same in the place where the young boy was supposed to be.

"Raon…!!!"

A woman screamed in tears and tried to break away from the villagers.

I exchanged another glance with Dao. He nodded, and finally–

"…!"

Dao hand chopped the woman's neck, making her lose consciousness on the spot.

Fortunately, Dao caught her falling body before she hit the ground.

However, she was not the only one who was shaken. The situation with the other villagers was no better than her.

Which is why--

"We have to go."

I took the lead and moved ahead of them.

"Let's go."

It took a while, but eventually, everyone followed from behind.

We just silently moved toward our goal. And this time, without looking back.

Why? Because there was nothing left for us back there.

Be it our home, our fertile land, or even the young hero who had sacrificed his life.

Everything was gone and broken.

The sound of sobbing was heard from all around me, but I bit my lips as I tried to hold back my sob.

'I can't be weak here. Because what the villagers need right now is a strong person to lead them.'

I looked up at the sky, trying to keep the tears from falling.

'Raon Eva.'

It was a name that I would never forget. And that sentiment was probably shared by everyone in this place.

'Our hero.'

That was the moment we became certain of the hero's death.

Ch 17 - I Almost Died!

Ch 17 - I Almost Died!

'I almost died!'

I was kneeling on the ground on all fours with trembling hands, coughing mouthfuls of blood.

After surviving the attack, I immediately used [Perfect Stealth] for fear of the enemy attacking me in my injured state.

'Still… it wasn't supposed to be painful.'

If my counterstrike had been stronger, this kind of injury wouldn't have happened. Then again, I'm glad I gained enlightenment in the nick of time and used it to perfection.

'But… should I be happy that I managed to master the technique I had been struggling for so long? Or should I be concerned?'

The price was that I had to go through a near-death experience and get injured all over my body.

'Considering all the other six counter strikes were similar… does that mean I have to go through similar experience six more times to learn them all?'

I feel conflicted as I calm down my ragged breathing and think back to what happened.

'[Counter Strike, First Art - Void Slash].'

A technique that cuts open a black, empty space for a brief moment to suck in an attack of any strength and form. As its name suggests, if successful, the power of any attack will become void, effectively reducing the damage I received to zero.

However, the space only opens for a brief moment. In my case, it was open for only a split second just now. This is why timing becomes not only important but also essential for me to get right.

The problem is, the explosions just now didn't happen just once, right?

'How many corpses were there? One thousand? Ten thousand?'

Even if I only count the corpses that exploded near my feet back then, they should be in the hundreds at least.

That's why I had to repeatedly cut and cut space, all with near-perfect timing until the series of explosions was over.

'Fortunately, I had learned how to do fast consecutive slashes from the second quick strike… so I managed to combine them somehow.'

That's right. This was the enlightenment I was talking about and the reason I survived.

Instead of using the counter strike by itself, I combined its space-cutting effect with the second quick strike.

'[Quick Strike, Second Art - Blade Dance Stream, Infinite Consecutive Slash]'

The second quick strike is a combo attack that consists of doing fast consecutive slashes of any number in a short amount of time. The curious thing was that the longer the skill goes, the faster my attack speed becomes.

'And I don't think I had to land direct hits either.'

Although it's quite bothersome for the body, to the point that my joints creaked the longer I used it, it's enough if I just rely on Raon Eva's self-healing gift in the future.

'I am speed!'

Of course, for the current me, it feels like I was about to die just from swinging my sword hundreds of times.

'I should probably limit it to 15 slashes or so and finish it with the burst attack…'

There is a powerful [Burst] finishing move for all quick strikes, just like how there was a [Blast] finishing move for all power strikes. But that was meant to be used as a deadly attack for killing.

Since what I needed back then was not a deadly attack but an increasingly fast number of slashes, I didn't use the [Burst] option.

'So after combining the first counter strike and second quick strike… I managed to develop my own sword strike somehow.'

It was a fortune among misfortune.

'However, the mental load is no joke… since I have to maintain peak concentration for so long.'

It's a different kind of mental exhaustion than the information overload from my vision skill.

I could probably get used to maintaining such concentration in the future with practice. Still, since this was my first time, it's understandable that I would get exhausted.

'Fortunately, I still have a lot of mana.'

Because [Void Slash] was a skill that can be used without mana if I want, just like the first and second quick strikes.

Anyway, I should give this combined sword art a name, right?

'What should it be? [Lots of Cut]? [Cut a Lot]?'

It was the moment when my great naming sense was about to see the light of the world.

"...!"

Suddenly, Skeleton arms came out from the ground.

Not one, not two, but dozens or so.

They pushed their bodies out of the ground, creating a slope big enough for an adult to walk through.

And then, those skeletons surrounded the slope and kneeled down at once.

'I think the big boss is coming.'

I am not in a condition to fight, so I should let my body regenerate to some extent and observe for a bit.

'If only I had learned Bianca's healing skill…'

Then again, I remembered how that would also drain my mana. So, considering my situation, I would probably still choose to rely on my self-regeneration either way.

It was when I had moved away to a safe place.

From the deepest depth of the earth, a skeletal figure clad in a black robe emerged, its footsteps echoing in the silent space.

As it stepped into the light, an awful bifurcated face was revealed. One half was a grinning skull, an empty eye socket glowing with a sinister blue flame. The other side still bore human features, though skin sloughed away to reveal cracked teeth and jawbone.

'No, not just the face…'

[White Dragon Vision]

His full appearance was hidden under his robe, but despite that, information about him kept pouring into my brain.

His left side was all bones, and the other side was that of a human male. A ribcage protruded from his chest on the left, and yellowed vertebrae stretched down his horrid spinal column. But the other torso maintained remnants of human skin and stringy muscles over sunken breasts and viscera.

In his human hand, he was holding a wizard staff made of a skull.

'A lich?'

It was an unusual appearance, even for a lich.

Liches generally use the dead corpses as their clone. But from the information I've seen, it was certain that this lich had killed the living before he used that body as his own.

'For what reason? To mimic the living?'

It was a useless act that had no benefit whatsoever in my opinion. Even if he did it to appear like the living and blend in human society, all parts of his body would soon turn into all bones. Effectively making the disguise useless.

And the fact that only half of his body had become bones, he must have killed the man pretty recently.

'Crazy bastard.'

Of course, all liches are crazy in the first place, so it's not impossible for them to do such a thing.

Liches were magicians who chose to become undead to achieve immortality.

They did this by giving up their souls to form a "soul gem." Since their lives were contained inside this soul gem, they were unkillable unless we destroyed their soul gem.

'The tricky part was to find the soul-gem they hid.'

If there's good news in all of this, it's that their soul gem would never be too far away from their clones.

'And looking at where he came from, he probably hid it underground somewhere.'

Even more so since he was willing to destroy everything above ground with the series of explosions just now.

He must have done it because he was confident his soul-gem would be alright even if he did that.

The lich looked around the area and nodded solemnly.

"We're done here. Let's go back to our lord."

And with that, he turned around and walked into the hole. The skeletons stood up all at once and followed him in an orderly fashion.

'Our lord…'

He must be talking about the black dragon.

'So he was a disciple of Nicht…'

A dragon who was known for his ability to wield all kinds of black magic, curses, and necromancy.

If such a being taught black magic to others just like Bianca had taught me, then it wouldn't be surprising for their ability to be exceptional.

'Fortunately, it doesn't seems like he himself is that powerful in close-combat.'

So what should I do now? Should I follow him? Or should I go to Bianca?

After thinking for a bit, I decided that it would be best to deal with him first.

One reason is to eliminate a variable from disrupting my plan in the future.

'But the real reason was probably because I simply want to kill him.'

An enemy of mankind.

Someone who had killed and destroyed the very thing that I had tried my hardest to protect.

'I will definitely kill him.'

So I stood up and followed him underground.

Ch 18 - Lich's Base

Ch 18 - Lich's Base

Before I entered the underground space, I thought there would be nothing to look at besides a one-way tunnel that stretches towards the mountain.

But my thoughts changed as I kept walking forward.

As the dirty ground ended and I stepped into a stone tile, the path opened to a huge cave.

Pillars of bones stretched across the tunnel, with a skull on top. Their empty eye holes blazed with purple fire, lighting the surroundings.

Skeletons patrolled the many tunnels and kneeled toward the lich the moment he passed.

Looking at the scale of this place, I might as well call this the lich's base instead of a mere underground space.

He even went so far as to decorate the bone walls and ordered the skeletons to mine stones and turn them into tiles.

No matter how I look at it, this was not a base that could be made in a day or two.

'At least several months… just how long had he been planning the attack?'

It was then that I realized everything had been planned from the start.

'I don't think I have ever heard of a lich living here while I was playing the game… and since he is a disciple of Nicht, who came here to meet Bianca, everything must have happened because I had prevented Bianca from leaving back then.'

Who would have thought that one selfishness of mine would lead to such an outcome?

'Even worse, Bianca had met Nicht way earlier than she did in the game.'

This means it's also possible for Bianca to die earlier than I expected.

I thought I was ready to face the consequences of my actions, no matter how much I had changed the future, but…

'I didn't expect the change would affect me this early.'

Chapter 1.

I was expecting to face the full brunt of the future I changed in 7 and a half years later, around the time chapter 1 begins, however…

'I was careless.'

I should have been prepared for every possibility instead of relying on events that had already happened in the game.

'Remember, I only have one chance.'

There is no longer a save and load function to fall back on. If I made a mistake, then that's it.

'So even more so, I shouldn't make a mistake from now on.'

I clenched my fist and raised my chin.

It was the moment when my fighting spirit as a strategy gamer was reignited.

'First, I should find where he hid his soul gem.'

I had used my vision skill ever since I came here to find his soul gem.

It seems like the soul gem just happens to be hidden where the lich is going, which is why I am still following the lich and his entourage right now.

'I just have to find and destroy the soul gem, that's it.'

There is no need to waste my strength by fighting the lich and his army.

After all, this is his base, and I am at a disadvantage here.

'I don't think he would use [Corpse Explosion] and risk breaking his soul gem here, but…'

If he gets cornered, he might do exactly just that.

Heck, the lich might even get so desperate that he believed he should kill me, even if that meant he had to collapse the entire base and die together.

Even if he didn't do that, he could try to fight me seriously by raising endless undead.

'I should avoid that.'

Not alarming him is a must.

And although that would normally be impossible, I have [Perfect Stealth] to make the impossible possible.

'Bianca said not even traps and magics could detect me, so…'

I should be able to hide until I completely recover.

'But I can't do that.'

Why? Because I also have to think about Bianca, who might lose her life if I stay here too long.

'The moment I found the soul gem, I should destroy it.'

My body has recovered to some extent, so it should be doable.

'Let's see… the reaction came from this huge space, so…'

I moved and searched around the large open space, which resembled a king's great hall, complete with a huge throne made of bones in the center.

As I do that, all the skeletons who had followed the lich knelt at him, allowing me to look ahead toward the person who was the source of all this.

The lich stepped up the staircase and sat on his throne, overlooking the skeletons from a high place.

"Report."

A cracked voice.

Immediately, a few skeletons stood up and moved closer to where he was.

And when they had arrived within his reach.

'...!'

He outstretched his hand toward one of their head and sucked a black mist that suddenly came out from the skeleton.

The skeletons shuddered for a moment before their entire bodies broke down and crumbled.

Then he stopped momentarily before doing the same thing to the next skeleton.

'A [Soul Search]…'

A black magic to extract information from the living and the dead.

As long as they are creatures that ever had a soul, it's possible to extract information from their remains.

It was a good skill if not for the fact that the recipient would suffer irreversible damage from it.

'It was similar to Bianca's skill to read memories, although it's very lacking in a lot of ways.'

The information that can be extracted from a single remain was limited, so that must be why he lined up several skeletons and used the skill on them in turn.

And if I were to guess the information he seeks…

'It's probably about the aftermath of the corpse explosion just now.'

Things like whether anyone had survived, whether the village was destroyed, the scale of destruction, etc.

'So why am I looking at the lich when I should be searching his soul gem?'

Because the soul gem was there, right where the lich currently is.

To be exact, it was inside the skull on top of the throne.

'Found it.'

I gripped my sword tight, covered my sword and entire body with mana, and took a stance.

Then, I leaped and thrust my sword forward.

Ch 19 - Lich's Death (1)

Ch 19 - Lich's Death (1)

*** Lich's POV ***

'The white dragon's disciple died? Just like that?'

I couldn't help but frown at the memories I've read.

'There's no way that's true.'

What kind of existence is a dragon?

They are beings who have been blessed with mana since birth, and their existence has placed them at the top of the food chain.

Suppose those kinds of beings were to take in a disciple, especially if it was the white dragon who was known to be very picky about it. In that case, there's no doubt that these disciples would be special.

'However, the information matched with what I know.'

[Detection Magic.]

Since appearing above ground until now, I have been using detection magic to find traces of this disciple.

However, nothing was found.

'What about this…'

[Life Search]

A black haze spread out around me.

If there are traces of the living, then I should be able to detect it with this, but…

'Still nothing.'

Not even a trace was left.

It's almost as if his entire existence had just evaporated from the face of this world.

'Am I being too cautious?'

Maybe the white dragon's disciple this time was just that weak.

'That's true, isn't it? He must have died already.'

There's no way someone from such a backwater village could survive that series of explosions.

For one, there are no dungeons here for the villagers to use to gain experience dealing with monsters.

This is even more true if it's to gain the experience of fighting someone who could use [Corpse Explosions].

If he noticed the sign of the skill too late and was caught off guard, then only death is possible.

'But just in case, I should probably look at the other skeletons' memories too.'

I didn't send all the skeletons to fight.

Some were sent to do other tasks, such as observing the fight from afar, surveying the surroundings before and after the explosions, and more.

That's why the memories they have contain different information.

Some of which might be essential for me to please my Lord.

'Lord Nicht…'

A majestic being.

Unlike everyone else who had turned me away, he was the only one who took me in and even blessed me with the sacred art of necromancy.

'My benefactor.'

However, unlike other disciples who have become way stronger than me, I have been stuck at my current level for years, unable to break through.

I had been praised as a genius since childhood, but now that I've seen those monsters, I finally realized what a true genius looks like.

'Especially that swordsman…'

Unlike other disciples who accepted Lord Nicht's grace when he offered to teach us the black arts, that swordsman refused the Lord's kindness and only learned the sword.

'Arrogant bitch.'

Who is she to refuse the Lord's helping hand?

To not know grace when she received one, she really is an arrogant bitch.

'She must not have realized what a great blessing it is to be a disciple of Lord Nicht.'

It was definitely better than being a disciple of other dragons.

'Especially the current white dragon.'

The white dragon, Bianca.

Unlike other dragons who were simply strong, white dragons were special beings since birth, to the point that some people even called them holy dragons.

'Because their existence itself were a blessing to the world.'

Their eyes were especially famous among mages. Why? Because their eyes were able to see the essence of all things.

In fact, like all mages who were curious about the inner workings of the world, I had once come to the current white dragon to become her disciple because of those eyes, but--

"(I don't like it.)"

It was an immediate rejection.

Just a glance.

Without even doing a proper test to check out my talent, all it took for her to reject me was just a short glance.

Even when I told her about my talents and achievements as a wizard, she stubbornly refused and only said this--

"(Because your heart was black.)"

I clenched the skeleton's head so hard that it shattered.

'I won't forgive you.'

To dismiss all of my talent with something like that.

'I will definitely make her suffer.'

Instead, didn't I do exactly just that?

Now that I've killed her disciple, she would surely regret her actions and words to me that day.

'I can't wait to see her face when she heard this.'

It was the moment when I was just about to laugh.

'Hm?'

As I put my hand on another skeleton, I widened my eyes at a particular memory.

To be precise, it was a memory that shows the current white dragon's disciple's appearance as he fought the horde of skeletons.

'A child?'

A young boy no older than 12.

No, looking at his toned build, he must have been practicing for years already. So he must be older than that.

Still, looking at his height and baby face, he can only be 14 at most.

'Impressive.'

It was an honest evaluation.

'For a boy of that age to defeat all of the skeletons alone… as expected, even her current disciple is a monster.'

Was it because of her eyes, after all? Did she see the young boy's enormous talent?

'No, there's no way he's more talented than me.'

Looking at his crude use of mana alone, he was nothing but a clown.

However, everything besides that was undeniably the best.

And I'm not just talking about strength.

'Courage. Situational judgment. And even strength of will?'

It was a memory that made me frown in displeasure.

'I don't like it.'

Be it the disciple or the teacher, both of them are detestable.

'But something is weird…'

Will this boy die so easily? Just like that?

'It's not impossible, but…'

What is this ominous feeling?

It felt like that boy was aiming for my life right now.

[Detection Magic].

But even if I used detection magic again, I still couldn't find the boy.

'Is it just my imagination then?'

The instinct of a former high-ranking wizard.

It was not something that I could dismiss.

'Come to think of it, something was weird about his fight.'

Right after the hurricane ended, his figure disappeared before reappearing in a completely different place shortly after.

'It's almost as if he had used the [Blink] spell.'

But is it even possible for a clown who uses mana so crudely to use the space magic series, which even high-rank mages couldn't use?

'It's impossible unless he had a gift related to space.'

But if that's the case, he could teleport himself instead of running from the village to reach the skeletons.

So, there must be another reason.

'Think…'

Who was he? He was the white dragon's disciple.

And if you're talking about skills related to the current white dragon…

'No way…!'

I widened my eyes at the realization.

'Did she teach him [Perfect Stealth]?!'

Ch 20 - Lich's Death (2)

Ch 20 - Lich's Death (2)

*** Lich's POV ***

It was then--

'…!'

I was feeling goosebumps all over and instinctively sensed a great danger to my life.

'An attack!'

Fearing the worst, I immediately created 7-layers of mana shield around my soul-gem. It was the strongest shield that I, a former high-rank wizard, could make in a short time, but--

'…!'

The first shield broke.

Then, the second. The third. The fourth.

I panicked as I realized that if it stayed like this, he would pierce through all seven shields and my soul gem.

'No, what is this?'

An attack that ignores law and causality.

It was supposed to be a simple thrust.

A thrust without even a speck of aura in it.

'And yet, are you saying that simple thrust was able to pierce through my mana shields?!'

It was absurd, to say the least.

But I have no time to be surprised.

'If I can't block the sword thrust itself, then.'

My mana rose to the ceiling.

'I'll just stop the person!'

Then, hundreds of bony hands appeared from the ground, trying to catch the boy, who suddenly appeared like a ghost.

I expected him to evade, but he sped up instead and broke through the skeletons and even the fifth shield.

'Why is he not dodging? He could also move in a zig-zag to be more efficient.'

It was then that I widened my eyes.

'Could it be… can he only move in a straight line?'

I almost shouted in joy as I found an unexpected weakness in my enemy.

'Then, how about this!'

I bombarded him with magic and curses to slow him down while summoning the skeletons to catch his feet from the side.

'Crazy bastard!'

But he ignored my attacks like a suicidal maniac and pushed through the sixth shield. Only after he broke the last shield did the dozens of skeletons' hands barely manage to stop him.

"Ha… Haha…"

It was truly absurd.

'To think that a mere child was about to kill me.'

It was the shame of my entire life.

'In the first place, how did he know where my soul gem was located?'

It was an impossible feat unless he had been observing me for months.

But I know for sure that this is the first time he's here.

'So how?'

Then, I think of a possibility.

'No way! Did the white dragon taught him her vision skill?!'

A legendary-grade skill that all the mages in the world would salivate at.

'And not just the vision skill…'

Didn't Bianca even teach him [Perfect Stealth]?

And that sword skill just now…

'It looks familiar, yet different to the Lord's…'

It was a sword strike that the Lord had never shown us.

'But then, how could it feels so familiar?'

I tried to remember the Lord's words.

'Come to think of it… The Lord told me that Bianca possessed a sword skill no weaker than his.'

This means it was at least a Legendary-grade skill.

"Crazy!"

I couldn't contain my surprise, so I shouted out loud.

Doesn't this mean that Bianca had taught him not just one or two, but three legendary skills?

'It was absurd to teach your disciple even one legendary skills. Especially since there is the possibility of your disciple betraying you.'

Even Lord Nicht only taught one legendary skill to each of us. And that's very generous already.

But for the white dragon to teach him all three?

'Just how much does she dote on him?!'

Is this the difference between dragons?

Or was this boy just that talented?

I once again realized just how much of a blessing being close to a white dragon can be.

I glared at the boy whose clothes were tattered and whose skin was bleeding from my bombardments.

And yet, he still looks dazzling in my eyes.

'Even his appearance is top-class... Damn it.'

I'm envious.

To receive everything I could never attain.

Talent. Appearance. And most important of all, the love and recognition from our teacher

'Why can't it be me?!'

Am I also not working my ass off?

But why can't I be like you?

'I will destroy you.'

If I can't have it, other people can't either!

Fortunately, this boy was nothing more than a child.

And now that his feet had been caught and his body afflicted with all sorts of curses, there was no way he could come out of this crisis alive.

"Hahaha! It's over now!"

The skeletons I called are now coming here in droves.

It was an amount that was no less than what I had sent above ground.

If anything, isn't the number even higher than that?

'At least 10,000.'

It was an amount that would take a normal necromancer years and even decades to raise.

But thanks to Lord Nicht's legendary-grade skill in necromancy, it barely took me a few months to raise them all.

'And if worse comes to worst.'

I could always explode them all.

'Ten thousand enemies that can explode.'

It was a disaster that no ordinary human could survive.

'Let's see how you can survive this.'

I smirked as I imagined the despair on the boy's face.

But, contrary to my imagination, I saw no despair in his face.

"Why are you smiling?"

Despite having been caught by the skeletons and were about to be surrounded by ten thousand more, I can see the hope and determination to never give up in his eyes.

"Don't you know that it's over?"

When I saw that, I couldn't help but grit my teeth in anger.

It was then that the boy opened his mouth.

"You're right. It's over."

"What?"

He knows that and yet, he's smiling?

Is he crazy after all?

"It's my win, Lich."

"...!"

An ominous feeling.

But unlike before, when the distance from the boy's sword to my soul gem was far and I could do something to stop him… Right now, they were so close that they were practically touching.

"[Burst]"

A small voice.

But the result of that action was not small at all.

Suddenly, from his entire body to his sword, everything was clad in purple lightning, destroying the skeletons that clung to him.

And then, suddenly, all of that lightning gathered to the tip of his sword and was shot towards the skull.

'Ah…'

All of that happened in an instant.

When I saw the destructive power of the concentrated purple lighting that burst from the tip of the sword, I couldn't help but fall into despair.

'He was right. It's over.'

Before I could even launch a proper attack...

And before I could even explode the corpses…

'I had lost.'

My life was over before anything could begin.

'Really, what a shitty life this is.'

Then, my soul gem crumbled down and broke along with the throne, skeletons, and everything in its path.

That was the moment my life ended.

Ch 21 - Hero's Remains
I'm feeling conflicted whether to include the last POV under this chapter or not.

If I don't include it, it'll be easier for you to get immersed in the story to come, since MC strongly believes his assumption to be true.
If I do, the tone will become lighter and not as dark.

But I decided to include it for now.
Enjoy~

Ch 21 - Hero's Remains

*** MC's POV ***

'As expected, it hurts…'

I leaned on the wall and sat down.

Around me, a sea of bones had crumbled down and broken.

'Just how many skeletons had he gathered?'

I had seen so many skeletons in a single day that I felt sick to see the current sight.

Then again, it's not like I can ignore my injuries just like that and leave.

'A former wizard…'

Since he threw curses and elemental magic like wind and fire, I couldn't help but get injured even if I didn't want to.

'Fortunately, he only casted low-ranked spells.'

It is probably because those spells take little time to cast, unlike spells of higher ranks.

'Even then, wasn't the number of spells too high?'

It was absurd to think that he had manifested such a large number of spells instantly.

'Even worse, at my current state, protecting my entire body with mana was the most I could do.'

Not even a mana shield.

I, who was still a 1-star mana user because I had only focused on other practices, couldn't even cast proper magic besides [Mana Thread].

'Fortunately, the cosplay clothing that Bianca made as an enchantment for this sword took most of the damage.'

It was simple leather clothing that prioritized looks rather than effects.

Even then, it was still a decent protective leather two grades above the lowest-ranked gear.

Enough to protect me from instantly dying when bombarded by the lowest-ranked spells.

'A rare-grade leather.'

It was a luxury for the current me, who can't afford to buy such equipment unless I raid a dungeon somewhere.

'Who would have thought my teacher's eccentricities would end up saving my life like this.'

I laughed at the silent base.

'Thanks to that, I don't have to wear this tattered clothes for long. Because the cosplay enchantment for these daggers still exist.'

I sheathed my sword and held the twin dagger in each hand.

'This dagger was meant to be used as a pair in the first place, so only one piece of clothing would appear.'

When I thought of that, a different kind of leather clothing began to adjust to fit perfectly to my body.

'Still… I should probably find something else to wear underneath.'

Since even the normal clothing I usually wear underneath got burnt and sliced here and there, I can no longer wear this.

'My injury… good. It seems like it has healed to walk.'

I stood up and began to survey the surroundings.

[White Dragon Vision]

'Is there a decent equipment hidden here?'

Since no one is going to go to this base and use whatever is in it anymore, I might as well take everything precious.

It was when I adjusted what I wanted to see through my vision skill.

'Hm?'

Besides the Lich's corpse, something else seemed to be buried under the pile of bones elsewhere.

'What is it?'

I decided to remove the Lich's belongings from his corpse before moving to the place.

From the Lich's corpse, I found a rare-grade robe with decent protective ability against projectiles and magic, and a unique-grade skeletal staff that buffs the user's necromancy and curse skills.

The robe was fine, so I immediately wore it above my clothes, but I frowned at the staff.

'I can't use this…'

I have no intention of being a necromancer, and I do not know of an ally who could use this on the human side.

'There are some candidates in the demon side, but…'

All of them are quite crazy in the head, so I would rather not meet up with them if I can.

'I guess I'll either sell or disassemble this later.'

I could also give this to Bianca.

She might have a better idea of what to do with this staff.

'Bianca…'

I'm worried.

'Let's quickly check what's hidden under the rubble and moved out.'

As I dug through the pile of bones, I finally found something shiny underneath.

'This… why is this here?'

It was not a powerful equipment or a game-breaking item in any way.

If anything, it was nothing more than a rare-grade earring that boosts your charm a little by making you look manlier.

But if you think about the original owner of this item, then you can't help but feel confused.

'Isn't this the hero's earring?'

It was the earring the hero used since his childhood before his awakening.

'So the reason this earring was here and buried under this pile of bones must be…'

I widened my eyes at the horror of my thoughts.

'No way… could it be?!'

I searched through the skeleton remains like I was possessed.

And it didn't take long for my hands to stop.

Because I had found what I was looking for.

With trembling hands, I held out to a skeleton corpse from among the pile.

To be precise, I was holding what looked like the remains of a small skeleton around the same age as me.

'That Lich… did he kill the hero…?'

Even if the future had changed, didn't it change too much?

"Haha…"

I let out a dejected laugh at the absurd situation.

"Damn it…"

It was the moment I realized.

That I had fucked up.

*** Hero's POV ***

"Achoo!"

While washing my clothes by the river, I suddenly felt an itch on my nose and sneezed.

Then, a girl of the same age approached me and asked.

"What is it, Mika? Did you catch a cold?"

"It's nothing. You know I never get sick, right?"

"Then someone must have been talking behind your back."

I laughed at that.

"There's no way that could be true."

At that time, I couldn't even think that there really was someone out there who was sincerely grieving for me, thinking that I had died.

It was not until much later that I met this special person.

He was a very kind person who cared so much for others, including me, despite me being nothing more than a stranger to him.

"By the way, didn't you look cuter these days, Mika?"

"S-stop it! I told you not to call me cute. I'm a swordsman too, so call me cool and strong instead!"

"Eh~ It's fine, isn't it? You should stop covering your chest and dressing like a man too. What a waste of that pretty face."

"You…"

"Haha. I get it. I get it. Sorry for teasing you. By the way, what happened to your earring?"

"Ah, that…"

A few months ago, I was so startled to see a black dragon flying above me that I fell into the river and lost my earring.

'But there's no way I could tell her that!'

As for the reason I couldn't tell her…

'Because it's embarrassing!'

So I just gave her a cool smile and feigned calmness.

"I don't know. Maybe it fell to the river and ended up somewhere?"

Ch 22 - Bianca's Gift

Ch 22 - Bianca's Gift

*** MC's POV ***

"I should go."

I left the hero's remains behind, forcing my tired body to move.

It would be nice if I could give the hero a proper burial, but… for now, there's something important I have to do.

'Bianca.'

At least her.

'If I could at least save my teacher, then…'

As I moved forward, I forced myself to instill some hope in my heavy heart.

I kept doing that until, finally, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel.

'That must be the exit.'

As I raised my sense of caution to prepare for any situation that might happen, I stepped toward the surface.

Then, I widened my eyes at the absurd sight that greeted me.

'What is that?'

High above the sky.

In a place where only one sun should exist.

A second sun was there.

A huge, white sun that illuminated the world with white.

'A white sun?!'

Unlike the real sun, which looked fiery and radiated heat so intense that it burned anyone who approached it, this white sun seemed to radiate holiness instead.

'How should I put it…'

It was like a sun that only burns impurities from the face of this world.

I was so confused that I couldn't help but use my vision skills to check the white sun.

But when I read the information that appeared, I couldn't help but exclaim out loud.

"A gift?!"

Something that only humans and demons should have.

'At least that was how the people of this world understood it.'

However, I know you don't have to be a human or a demon to possess a gift.

Because it was literally a 'gift' that was given to you.

All humans and demons had received their gift when they were still in the womb before they were born into this world.

All that's left is to wait or force the gift to awaken.

The process for receiving and awakening gifts for other species was a bit different, but it's true that they can also receive a gift of their own.

The kind of gift you received would be different depending on who gave it to you.

For example, only 'those above' could give a gift from the light series. And only 'those below' could give a gift from the dark series.

'Of course, there are many overlaps between the two, but…'

If I only look at Bianca's gift, I could say with 100% certainty that it was given from above.

'But why did she receive a gift?'

For what reason? And since when?

'No, it's probably useless for me to think about this.'

Why? Because they could give it to you for any reason at any time.

However, the most common reason for them to give you a gift was because they liked you.

'So it was not impossible for dragons or even monsters to possess a gift, although it was indeed very unusual.'

But was Bianca someone who had received a gift already at this point?

'I don't know.'

Why? Because Raon Eva had never met Bianca again until the day she died.

So, Raon and I could have only limited information about Bianca, which was limited to rumors and gossip and maybe some accounts from others who had actually met her.

'Like from the Black Dragon who claimed that he had killed her.'

I looked at the white sun with worries.

For Bianca, who was one of the strongest existence at this point, to be forced to use her gift.

Does that mean the Black Dragon was pushing her back?

'Teacher…'

Just what in the world is happening over there?

*** Nicht's POV ***

"Damn it! Why isn't it working?!"

I had been trying to use black magic, curses, and necromancy since a while ago.

But what is this?

Why is everything not working?!

Even the black barrier that took me months to make had melted away since that sun came up.

That's right.

Everything was messed up since that white sun came up.

"It's useless, Nicht."

I glared at the culprit behind all this.

"No impurities can exist here."

Her sword reflects the irritatingly white light from the damn sun.

"So take out your sword, Nicht."

She thrusts her sword in my direction.

"Let's do this like the old times."

And remind me of memories I would rather forget.

Honestly, I didn't expect Bianca's gift to have this effect.

'It's different from what those shady bastards said.'

Truth Society.

A secret organization that claimed they know everything about the world and are actively making use of it.

They had come to me to spew nonsense about working together and whatnot.

I was also dubious at first, so I tested their usefulness in my own way. But when they revealed secrets that only I should know, I decided to trust them just once.

'But the result of that trust was this?!'

The information they gave me was only a small piece of the truth.

Bianca had indeed received a gift of the light series, but they told me that she only used it as a power source of sorts, not something that could seal other people's powers.

'Truth Society bastards! The next time we meet, I will definitely burn you to ashes!'

At that time, I didn't know that I shouldn't have followed that promise because there was an even more annoying enemy, a young boy, who would be helped tremendously by that action of mine.

"Bianca."

I glared at the woman in front of me.

"I will say this just once, I am no longer the me you used to know."

The me from before, who was the weakest of all dragons and dreamt of becoming the strongest, had long died.

At that time, I was so foolish that I got mesmerized by the Dragon Lord's sword art, to the point that I only swung the sword day and night, practicing and even developing a few techniques for the power strike.

Now, I had realized the foolishness of my way.

Why? Because I'm a dragon.

I was born with the blessing of mana.

So why should I waste my time moving my body when magic is where my talent lies all along?

Rather than swordsmanship, there are better things for me to pursue if I want tremendous power.

'Forbidden magic.'

All kinds of magic that was so powerful that they broke the rule that governed this world.

'Raising the dead. Manipulating fate. And even direct control of living beings.'

It was truly a fascinating subject of study.

It infuriates me to think that I wasted years doing something so useless, like swinging the sword, when I could have just focused on magic from the beginning.

"I know."

Bianca said, her eyes shining bright.

"You have changed, Nicht."

"That's right, the me now are incomparably stronger than before."

"No, it's the other way around."

My face must have stiffened at that.

"You have become weak, Nicht."

Me?

Become weak?

"Haha…"

What is this bitch talking about?

If only she saw the army of undead I raised.

If only she saw the scale of the destruction I did.

Ah, really. To say things like that without even learning properly.

"What do you know about me?!"

My mana exploded in anger.

"You want me to use my sword? Fine! Let's do it your way!"

This damn bitch.

Who is she to judge me with those eyes?

Does she even know what it felt like to be looked down upon by your own kind?

"I know, Nicht."

She continued as if she had read my thoughts.

"Because I wasn't born strong either."

"Ha! What bullshit."

"It's not a lie."

She shook her head, looking conflicted.

"For example, have you ever seen me using a [Breath]?"

"…"

Now that I think about it, had she ever done that?

"What about holy magic? Have I ever used that?"

I haven't seen her do that, either.

"No, right? The reason is simple. Because I can't."

A dragon who was not capable of using [Breath] and their own family's specialty?

What kind of joke is this?

"In exchange, I was somewhat talented in learning things. So my parents used to shove all kinds of knowledge and skills down my throat."

It could be seen as bragging, but knowing the scale of said knowledge and how much Bianca detested doing homework as a child, I know that it was a good memory for her.

"So I know what it felt to be weak, Nicht. Because I was like that too."

"…"

It was shocking to know we were so similar in the past.

If anything, isn't my starting line better?

She was weaker than me and became stronger.

I was stronger than her and became weaker.

We were so similar before, so why did we become so different now?

'I don't like it.'

The more I compare myself to her, the more I see her as someone I could be like if only I tried harder.

"Enough."

I don't want to hear anymore.

I don't want to see you anymore.

If swordsmanship is the only thing I could use to take you down, then–

"Let's fight."

I'm going to use it to prove you wrong and show you how strong I've become!

We stared at each other in silence for a moment.

And then–

We moved at the same time with blurring speed and swung our swords at each other's throats.

The story is pretty neat so far, but I think you need to work on describing the environment more, and having longer, more cohesive dialogue. Also, you should use paragraphs. The style of 1 sentence per line isn't a great reading experience and impedes the text flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back