• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Lawsuit: When Sex toys and the Internet of Things collide—what could go wrong?

Walkir

Super Happy Awesome Fun Time
Sex toys and the Internet of Things collide—what could go wrong?

Screen-Shot-2016-09-13-at-1.14.33-PM.png

It was only a matter of time before the Internet of Things caught up with sex toys and led to products like apps that remotely control vibrators from an Apple or Android device via a Bluetooth connection.

And now, one of those apps is accused of being a little too connected to its users.

Standard Innovation—the maker of the We-Vibe vibrator and accompanying app—is the subject of a federal privacy lawsuit. The suit, which seeks class-action status, claims the We-Vibe vibrator app chronicles how often and how long consumers use the sex toy and sends that data to the company's Canadian servers. The suit says that the app also monitors "the selected vibration settings," the vibrator's battery life, and the vibrator's "temperature" with consumer consent. The data, along with the person's e-mail address, is stored on the vibrator-maker's Canadian servers, according to the lawsuit. (PDF) The app also has a "connect lover" feature, enabling partners to exchange text messages, engage in video chats, and "control a paired We-Vibe" device.

Sex toys and the Internet of Things collide—what could go wrong?

(S)he who has nothing to hide...
If you ever wanted to have a statistics of how you liked it... apparently there's an app for that.

Seriously, who considered THAT a good idea?

SB considered it SFW enough to post, so it doesn't go in NSFW.

I don't see the problem with it myself, if you don't want to send the info don't download that app if my understanding is correct.

Huh, that device appears to be rather invasive in design. :p

Jokes aside, I can see why they would want to track that data. And if it's accurate, they ask permission to do so.

The Internet of Things is a hacker's playground. I would guess the system involved has already been hacked, which will lead to entirely new problems... especially if the hacker knows someone who has one, or is working with/for someone who knows that person.

Not going into detail, here, but anyone who is mature enough for the discussion has mist likely thought of several reasons this is a bad and creepy thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back