• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Manga Rec Thread

Holyland, by Mori Kouji.

Straight up one of the best 'loser at the end of his rope becomes a badass fighter" manga I've ever read. The fights are ground-level brawls with no supernatural elements whatsoever, all the main cast are likeable (a requirement for me nowadays), and there are no asspulls anywhere.

The only potential turnoff is the art style, which occasionally takes a turn for the weird, but it really grows on you, especially since it works in tandem with how well fighting techniques are explored and demonstrated.

Sun-Ken Rock was also pretty good...up until it's final arc, which is one of the worst final arcs I've ever read. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth with how bullshit it was. Until that point though, it was top tier.

Helck.

What seems to be a generic overpowered protagonist in a generic fantasy world turns into one of the most gripping and compelling emotional rollercoasters I've been on. Shit get real relatively early on and just keeps topping itself.

Claymore.

I literally cannot recommend this one enough. The art is amazing, the fights are brutal, fast, and explosively bloody, and the pacing is fast enough that you never want to stop reading. And the characters are compelling as fuck, with their own motives and reasons and thats part of what drive the story. Fuck, I just want to reread it.

Pandemonium: Majutsushi no Mura

A short but excellent manga about a cat (the cast are animals) going a to a secret village to have his wish granted. Has a unique art style that does an exceptional job of conveying the emotions of the cast. Combine that with the multiple driving questions that last until the end, and it's something special. Short, but satisfying.

https://mangadex.org/title/43ff67bf...a-kekka-hametsu-flag-ga-houkaishiteiku-ken-ni

Only 7 chapters so far but it seems to be pretty interesting. Basically massive tokutatsu fanboy dies and gets reincarnated as super scummy asshole noble villain, just after losing to likely protag, which leads to him being disowned. But fortunately enough for fanboy none of the memories of the asshole noble he reincarnated as were included, but he has to deal with having no knowledge of the world he's in now and absolute rock bottom reputation. But his new life's little brother is still willing to be kind to him despite his previous self evidently being a massive scumbag, and Toku fanboy sees no reason why he shouldn't be kind to his new little brother in turn, which nets him a magic item bracelet which can become a full suit of armor, and as established our protag is a toku fanboy so he immediately equates the thing to his henshin device and form.
And so we get a series about a toku fanboy becoming a henshin hero in another world complete with toku references, and the protag basically says a little girl who helped them out by giving some vital information is a hero as well.
Unfortunately Isekai gotta isekai, and pretty early on it's established that unknown to toku fanboy, we have the reincarnated into a world based on a game trope, and several asshole reincarnators. one of which includes a guy reincarnating as the aforementioned likely protag, who is supposed to be the MC for the game the current world is based on. It turns out the asshole MC reincarnator pushed up the defeat of the asshole noble, toku protag would become for the sake of scoring his waifu, and that the reincarnators plan on using this as a chance to form harems for themselves, while completely being incapable of acknowledging the fact they are in an actual world with living people now, instead of just a game.
But we have Toku protag ruining all the plans of the reincarnators, which starts with toku protag firmly getting the girl MC reincarnator wanted next

I Was Reborn and Became a High Elf, but I Got Tired of My Slow Life after 120 Years

Life in the Great Pulha Woodlands is the very definition of stillness and tranquility—and Acer's had enough of it! That's right. Acer isn't quite like the other high elves of the forest. For starters, he remembers living a past life as a human in another world...meaning he's got a taste for meat, adventure, and plenty of other decidedly un-elven things! He's also bored out of his skull after 120 years of the peace and quiet of their serene sylvan lifestyle. So with nothing more than his trusty bow, a bundle of life-giving fruit, and his close bond with the spirits of nature, Acer leaves the monotony of the forest behind to seek a new life, one that's more his pace. See what excitement awaits in the outside world full of humans, dwarves, and even other elves!

Actually way better than it sounds. If you read Frieren, well, this one will make the heartache of the passage of time sting even more.

Hack, you even fully forget it's an isekai... And why wouldn't you, really? Since our guy by current chpaters has lived longer than he did as a human.

My Happy Marriage [Shojo Romantic Drama]
What I want is just a little "happiness." Born into a family that possesses a special ability, a daughter who has not inherited that ability. Miyo Saimori. She was treated as a servant by the half sister who made her ability flourish. She was not loved by her parents, a daughter who was not needed by anyone, even her childhood friend, who was her only ally, was forced to marry her half sister and inherit her home. Miyo who was considered a hindrance was forced to marry in the Kudou family who is rumored to be implacable .... A love story that begins with marriage.

I just stumbled across, and fell down, the Otome Villainess Rabbit Hole.

Holy Shit.

There's so much---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back