• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Moderation Applications for 2024 (Applications Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic_Generica

Verified kōhai
I bullied ultima333 into letting me write this announcement for a change.

I'll skip to the pertinent bits because I don't want to attention-whore more than I have to. I'm quitting as a moderator because I plan on going to law school this year and that is absolutely going to kill the free time I have left.

This means that there's a vacancy on the moderation staff that needs to be filled. Furthermore, QQ has continued to grow over the last year, which means we desperately need more people with banhammers.

So if you want to apply to be a part of QQ's moderation staff, your application's welcome.

In order to apply, please submit a PM/conversation to ultima333 answering the following questions:

1) What times are you active on the forum? (in GMT)

2) Do you feel you are familiar with the QQ community?

3) Why do you feel you will make a good moderator?

4) What do you think proper conduct is for a moderator?

5) What do you think the purpose of a moderator is?

6) In one paragraph, please explain what the purpose of one of the rules is on this site and when it'd be appropriate/inappropriate to apply it.

Those applications will then be forwarded to the rest of the current moderation team, where they'll discuss who to pick as a replacement. This will take time, so please be patient once you've sent in your application.

Do not attempt to use my perfect answers to force me to join the mod team. Heck no.

Random I sleep for 17 hours a day.

No

I wouldn't

To strike fear into the hearts of mortals.

To start arguments and then ban the opposition.

(I have never had a bad interaction with a mod on this site please read the above as the joke it is.)

6) In one paragraph, please explain what the purpose of one of the rules is on this site and when it'd be appropriate/inappropriate to apply it.

Play nice with the other members on the forums. is a rule that ask us to have a safe word when talking about politics... Wait is that a rule farther down banning talking about politics... Why have I never read the rules before?

Well, sucks to see a mod leaving... and while I probably won't get in, at least I'll be able to say that I tried!

My sleep schedule's a bit screwed, but I basically check the site once an hour while I'm awake. Barring extenuating circumstances that'd leave me away from my computer/phone for a few hours, of course.

Vaguely, I don't really talk to mods or anything. But I think I'm active enough in the community... at least the fic/quest part of it. Even if it's somewhat as a lurker.

I have no life? And an inflated sense of self-importance. Okay, enough with the totally hilarious jokes that definitely had you all in stitches.

I love this site, some of the fics here have gotten me through some rough times, and if I'm able to give back to the community as a mod? Then I'd be happy to do so.

Be cordial with people, and make sure to get all of the facts before doing anything? If that takes reading through an entire thread to do so, then that's what it takes.

To enforce the rules when necessary, stop the derailment of threads, and help out the community when needed.

Necromancy just isn't a good thing for the most part. It brings a dead thread back to the forefront of the site, which just annoys people and causes confusion on a fic/quest being 'back', and could even tick off the author (in the case of fics/quests) if they've since canceled the thread.
___

That's all I've really got. If I don't make it, then that's cool.

And Generic_Generica I wish you the best in your schooling. Hopefully you'll make for a kickass lawyer or whatever you're wanting.

Vote for me, I will make QQ great again. I will build a wall, a great wall. And I will make spacebattles pay for it!

But not really because screw being a mod, I pity the mod team on here having to deal with all the fools on here, like myself.

Good luck with your schooling though.

Well, sucks to see a mod leaving... and while I probably won't get in, at least I'll be able to say that I tried!

My sleep schedule's a bit screwed, but I basically check the site once an hour while I'm awake. Barring extenuating circumstances that'd leave me away from my computer/phone for a few hours, of course.

Vaguely, I don't really talk to mods or anything. But I think I'm active enough in the community... at least the fic/quest part of it. Even if it's somewhat as a lurker.

I have no life? And an inflated sense of self-importance. Okay, enough with the totally hilarious jokes that definitely had you all in stitches.

I love this site, some of the fics here have gotten me through some rough times, and if I'm able to give back to the community as a mod? Then I'd be happy to do so.

Be cordial with people, and make sure to get all of the facts before doing anything? If that takes reading through an entire thread to do so, then that's what it takes.

To enforce the rules when necessary, stop the derailment of threads, and help out the community when needed.

Necromancy just isn't a good thing for the most part. It brings a dead thread back to the forefront of the site, which just annoys people and causes confusion on a fic/quest being 'back', and could even tick off the author (in the case of fics/quests) if they've since canceled the thread.
___

That's all I've really got. If I don't make it, then that's cool.

And Generic_Generica I wish you the best in your schooling. Hopefully you'll make for a kickass lawyer or whatever you're wanting.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Also, uh, you're supposed to forward apps to ultima333, just a reminder, if you're serious about applying.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Also, uh, you're supposed to forward apps to ultima333, just a reminder, if you're serious about applying.

Oh, oops. So do I just DM them or @ them?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm really tired and was about to go to bed, kek.

EDIT: Wait, just reread the first post. I'm an idiot. orz.

You know, it's funny, I briefly considered applying because I think I have the necessary skills, temperament (aka, tolerance for being shit on/flamed), and even prior moderation experience elsewhere... but I mean, why bother? Like, sure, I think that I could do it, and that I personally wouldn't find such a role actively disagreeable, but that doesn't mean that I'm so invested in this site that I would find such a job actively worthwhile or fulfilling, either. I mean, I suppose it might be a learning experience, and I do have free time, but I dunno lmao.

My OCD would go nuts if I'm given mod power over this site and then they would be looking for a new mod again. So that's why I'm not applying even if I probably wont get in the first place lol.

I have 2 triggers.

Counting things, and sorting things. Not as bad as I used to be thankfully. But yeah. Wouldn't be fun for anyone.

Do i want to be a moderator? on one hand, it is a thankless task that will probably piss me off all day every day. on the other hand...POWA!! being able to ban people is to much of a flex.

"what? you don't like my threads? you feel the MC is boring? yeah well. you're banned. have fun."

Isn't a law degree a requirement to be a mod on SV?
While you're definitely joking, the Directors of SV actually are, in fact, all attorneys (or at least, Squishy and Ford Prefect are, Xon isn't IIRC). This partially has to do with why SV absolutely never ends up needing to go on fundraising or put up ads- in order to make very sure that the site never goes under, they backed it up with a very robust business strategy. SV is owned by Perihelion, an actual full-on Corporation in the business of offering XenForo support, development services, and most importantly, selling all of Xon's fancy plugins to people interested in being able to use them. In exchange for running the SV forums for free and without ads, Perihelion gets to use the forums as a showcase and testing ground for all of their commercial plugins that are either already on sale, or are currently under development.

Tl;dr: the SV owners are in fact lawyers and business professionals, because the Corporation is run like an actual for-profit enterprise to ensure that SV will never ever run out of money despite being basically completely gratis.

While you're definitely joking, the Directors of SV actually are, in fact, all attorneys (or at least, Squishy and Ford Prefect are, Xon isn't IIRC). This partially has to do with why SV absolutely never ends up needing to go on fundraising or put up ads- in order to make very sure that the site never goes under, they backed it up with a very robust business strategy. SV is owned by Perihelion, an actual full-on Corporation in the business of offering XenForo support, development services, and most importantly, selling all of Xon's fancy plugins to people interested in being able to use them. In exchange for running the SV forums for free and without ads, Perihelion gets to use the forums as a showcase and testing ground for all of their commercial plugins that are either already on sale, or are currently under development.

Tl;dr: the SV owners are in fact lawyers and business professionals, because the Corporation is run like an actual for-profit enterprise to ensure that SV will never ever run out of money despite being basically completely gratis.
Now that is something cool.

Also, Generic_Generica, good luck with law school!

I'm quitting as a moderator because I plan on going to law school this year and that is absolutely going to kill the free time I have left.

I am really proud of the hard work you put into this GG, I hope you kick ass in law school. If you ever need help, I can do my best to lend a hand though I don't do anything other than Wisconsin law.

I'd apply as a mod, but as an actual licensed lawyer you have even less time than as a law student, so enjoy it while you can buddy.

I'm quitting as a moderator because I plan on going to law school this year and that is absolutely going to kill the free time I have left.

Hello, we've never spoken, but first, congratulations! Law school will be one of the most exhausting times in your life, but it genuinely is worth it in the end. I'm not sure how much of the syllabus is the same between the UK and the US, but if you ever need help (con law will be beautiful, property will be a pain in the ass, and tort makes no sense when you peek past the assumptions), feel free to shoot me a PM. Best of luck with everything!

I have the same question as Darth_Cinagra, is it a paying job ? (I count throwing pennies at me a paying job, so I am not expecting the minimum wage of France kek).
And good luck to all candidates !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back