1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern "re-imaginings" of myths and the like that your really dislike?

Discussion in 'General' started by Konradleijon, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Konradleijon

Konradleijon Not too sore, are you?

Like how modern Artist “reinterpret” myth or misrepresent various folklore and religions.

like for a example
    I absolutely hate the Wendigo episode in Charmed. I don't really care for that show anyway, but my step-mom loves it so I'd end up sitting through it when it was on. That one drives me crazy because I think the Wendigo is an interesting legend, and there's two versions of its legend that I know of, I like both of them, but they used neither of them for the show. I think the more common version, the depiction you'll hear in most Native American stories about it, is that it's a giant monster, bigger than a tree, perhaps with a head similar to a deer, an insatiable hunger for human flesh, and if you encounter it you're fucked. The other is like Until Dawn's Wendigos, these tall, lanky human-like creatures that are people possessed by an evil spirit because they ate the flesh of another human.
    Charmed just made the Wendigo Werewolves! Someone got bit or scratched by one and they became a "Wendigo", it was slightly bigger than the average person, and I'm pretty sure they killed it with silver, like a silver bullet. If you're going to just make the monster a werewolf then make it a werewolf, don't slap another monster's name on it so people stick around like "oh I don't know what the Chupacabra is, I should watch this episode. Wow I never would have guessed it was a friendly ghost that grants wishes". There's a difference between adding or changing something about a mythical creature's lore and making a different monster, like Until Dawn's Wendigo only being able to see movement, and killing them doesn't involve "burning it's icy heart to ash and scattering it to the 4 winds", because the first is interesting to work around and the other is an annoyingly complicated additional step. I'll even take that stupid change where Twilight Vampires sparkle in the sunlight instead of die, at least they aren't wrapped in bandages and sleep in pyramids!

Also the Spainish where never mistaken for gods by the Aztecs https://knowledgenuts.com/2014/02/14/the-aztecs-didnt-mistake-the-spanish-for-gods/.

Nla Eid, UlforceMagra, Nawaf and 2 others like this.
  2. Aerhyce

Aerhyce Making the rounds.

My headcanon for wendigoes has been them being originally humans, initially forced to eat human flesh out of necessity (to prevent starvation), but then kept doing so, with their hunger growing more and more, eventually losing their humanity and degenerating into wendigoes.
    Well, that's more like an origin story for the Native American wendigo, but eh.

The one myth I think got done dirty were the Fair Folk; from being poster children of blue and orange morality and monkey's paw on top of being giant whimsical assholes, to fucking Tinkerbell.

Like, who the fuck is actually scared of mainstream media fairies? They're basically pets now.

And, in general, I dislike whenever a myth gets neutered in order to be made family friendly. Djinns are literally demons, not friendly blue lads in lamps.

3. Konradleijon

actually no, the Jinm are not the same things as demons. Most Jinn are assholes, but since they have free will, they can chose to be good https://www.islamreligion.com/articles/669/viewall/world-of-jinn

UlforceMagra, Vorian, Nawaf and 2 others like this.
  4. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

The video game Grim Dawn has wendigos. You can find pages chronicling a family(man, woman, and daughter) that had to turn to cannibalism out of desperation, and it ends with the mother and daughter having ate the man and degenerated to the point of being all animalistic and feral like any other wendigo. You never find them specifically, that you know of, but the pages are only found in camps where wendigos spawn so it's likely you killed them at some point.

5. Konradleijon

yeah it is more true to lore then some examples, see the Werewolf: the apocalypse tribe.

6. tehelgee

What's funny is there is also a wendigo god that can turn people into wendigos, either as a curse or as a compact or agreement. I didn't remember that at first because it's part of a DLC, where-as the family was in the main quest.

So Grim Dawn has both versions, I suppose.

You can even fight that god, iirc, and he's not even one of the super-bosses. Now that I think about it some more, he might not be an actual god, but just a nature spirit. Fighting an actual god is an ordeal and a half in that game.

CrossyCross likes this.
  7. Konradleijon

by the way I just learnt you are not suppose to say the word W**digo And I guess writing it.

the whole W**digo tribe is bad because a tribe of Indigenous folks that love their cultures and peoples calling them W**digo is like a bunch of Middle Ages Christins calling themselves Mammon possessed.

me-meboi likes this.
  8. tehelgee

Don't really care. Demons are still called demons, regardless of how Christians fuss about it. Same thing about wendigos.

9. Konradleijon

• Rule 8 warning. Discussion on monsters is fine. Derailing your own thread to talk about religions and groups is not. And I saw that link too.
    yeah , you ever heard of Link killed

punching up vs punching down? Insulating Christianity is okay because it is the most dominant religion in the western world, plus I don’t there’s any taboo against saying the word Demon.

but then again this site is known for being a bunch of politically blind “centrist” douches that think it’s possible to be “Apoltical” And is made mostly of Cis white dudes that can afford to be “Apoltical” AKA Supporting the status quo , and yes I know this is against forum rules a don’t care.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2020
    searcher8 likes this.
  10. Lord Invictus

Lord Invictus Impropérium nulla oblivione eris Gone for Good

Somewhat related, there’s a YTer that does fairy stories.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCPsYi00ktTQ4JhChquuW3RQ

Many of them have a horror tone.

The Fae aren’t evil traditionally so much as they capricious and untrustworthy. As well as being easily offended often because of social etiquette and faux pas that they take seriously but humans aren’t even aware of.

They get the Disney treatment because their beautiful and are sweet to look at.

11. Konradleijon

Yeah faeries were not really evil.

12. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

Does it have to be modern? Because the equivocation of putti, cherubs, and Cupid has always annoyed me.

Nawaf, Tsuzurao and TanaNari like this.
  13. Konradleijon

That’s fine.

14. Lord Invictus

I'd like to see more of the biblical portrayal of Angels speaking of them.

They aren't just cute cuddly comforters.

They are fucking metal.

They can and will kill hundreds of thousands and millions if ordered to do so.

Angels are fucking scary if you read the bible-they are impossibly strong, fast, and aware. You can't bribe, out fight, or out maneuver them. If they want you dead you will be, if they want to drag you screaming and crying to Judgement Day, you'll go no matter how much you scream and run.

Angels are instruments of God's will and that means they can not be convinced to act otherwise.

A single Angel killed 187,000 in the bible. An army of Angels in Revelation fucks the world up(though in revelation the world gets fucked up pretty much non stop).

A fantasy series urban or otherwise ought to take their sheer inhuman devotion to the divine, alongside their incomprehensible power into account.

15. Sympatheia X

Sympatheia X Getting some practice in, huh?

Disney's Hercules was in my opinion honestly pretty terrible ...

Silver W. King, Vorian and Nawaf like this.
  16. Konradleijon

speaking of that I hate it when The forces of hell and Satan stand a chance against G-D. Satan is like a whiny teenager, bitching about not being G-Ds favorite, and thinks he has a chance against G-D, which is less likely then one guy with a shotgun taking out the entirety of the worlds military combined.

17. Lord Invictus

I mean in revelation the final battle isn’t even a contest. The beast and the dragon get dunked on without Jesus breaking so much as a sweat. (Also the name on his thigh that no one knows is so metal).

Satan’s army gets crushed and Satan himself thrown into the pit.

Then a thousand years later the devil is set free and raises a vast army and gets crushed again.

Silver W. King and Nawaf like this.
  18. Konradleijon

i don’t think the whole coming back thing was part of the original text most theologians believe the book of revelations To be a coded insult at the At the time current Roman Empire

19. Lord Invictus

Eh no? The second coming is referred to in the Gospels and the Epistles. I have no idea where you got the notion the parousia isn’t part of Christian theology.

almostinsane and ZenithOfLust like this.
  20. frostgiant

frostgiant I trust you know where the happy button is?

As A whole can we just mention the done dirty that hades has been getting ever since Christianity rolled around and the underworld became hell? Like seroisly, one of the worst things hades has done in myths is kidnapp his wife, and looking at the head of his pantheon that is not even that bad.

The guy named his hellhound spot and the only people he really fucks up are the people who come to steal his wife away, Poor fucking hades gets done dirty.

I also hate whoever ancient legends get turned into aliens seemingly oyt of fucking nowhere, "Oh the gods were aliens, they were alien machines" fucking damn it, they were an entity of godlike power and were fucking Gods, not everything needs to be Clarkes law, you can have magic in your story.

21. Konradleijon

the whole Ancient Gods are Aliens thing is based on really racist ideas, because When White people came and surveyed Places like the pyramids and Great Zimbabwe They couldn’t fathom that Brown people could have built them.

https://wearethemutants.com/2017/02...t-in-erich-von-danikens-chariots-of-the-gods/

22. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Partly racism, partly because no one could actually conceive how the things were built with "primitive" tech, so they ended up with "Aliens".

23. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

So in conclusion white people are aliens who lost their tech when they got their ass stranded on this dirtball.

Silver W. King and me-meboi like this.
  24. Konradleijon

I know, another thing I Hate is when people say Yin And Yang are good and evil, which is not close to true, sure Yang was considered “better” to Yin and it had a whole sexist undertones. With Yin considered feminine and Yang masculine.

https://iep.utm.edu/gender-c/

but even then you need women to you know continue as a species.

heres a video explaining it better Evil is not the opposite of good it is the corrupted imbalanced form of good.

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

The really depends on the story. Some of them can't have magic in them, because it goes against the premise of the story. Of course, they could just not have gods show up at all, but that's on the writer.

A meme that's still going on despite the fact that we're learning more and more about how such things were built (though in many cases largely because they really want to believe in and show examples of 'ancient aliens helping humanity,' rather than because they can't believe that primitive humans - or 'brown people' - built such impressive stuff).

Silver W. King, Nawaf and daimahou like this.
  26. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Yeah, nowadays the most important question became the why, not the how - though mostly on the transportation part.

27. Amazon Climber

No, it’s pretty clearly racist. If it was just wishful thinking, why don’t the other six of the seven wonders of the ancient world get the same treatment? Or why don’t their civilizations, for that matter? Look at Atlantis; it’s far more often depicted as a super-advanced human civilization rather than an alien colony.

Nawaf, JeckJack and me-meboi like this.
  28. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Well, the fact that the pyramids are the only ones still around might have something to do with it. If the Colossus of Rhodes hadn't collapsed way back in 226 BC, it would probably get the same treatment. Stonehenge, on the other hand, isn't listed as one of the seven wonders, but it does get the "aliens did it" treatment.

29. Amazon Climber

Okay, but the Parthenon is even older, as are several other famous ancient buildings. I’ve never heard anyone suggest those were built by aliens. Now compare that to, say, Machu Picchu.

As for Stonehenge, it’s a relic of Paleolithic peoples who were largely displaced by the Britons. It’s the same mentality, the idea that people who aren’t our ancestors can’t build these kinds of architectural wonders.

me-meboi likes this.
  30. Konradleijon

yeah the theories are based heavily in racism.

me-meboi likes this.