• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Summary;
Obi-wan Kenobi was born with a rare gift, one even the Jedi seem to have forgotten over...

JonathanAnubian

Alor be Cin'sara aliit.
Summary;
Obi-wan Kenobi was born with a rare gift, one even the Jedi seem to have forgotten over time. They tell him to ignore these Visions, that they aren't real, but he knows the truth. If he's the only one who can see these Spirits then he has to be the one to help them.

Obi-wan Kenobi is a Jedi and he will follow the will of the Force- even if that means turning the Galaxy on its head.

Pairings;
Jango/Obi-wan

AN:
For the sake of this fic and the future ship, Jango is only 5 years older than Obi-wan. His current age is 21. The Timeline has been adjusted accordingly.

This fic covers some of the Jedi Apprentice novels and the Open Seasons comic miniseries.

Warnings;
Mentions of SWs brand slavery and animal death, one by hunting and one by illness.

Chapter 1
Chapter 1

"The Force works in mysterious ways." A phrase common to the creches when a youngling has a thousand questions and the Crechemasters only have hundreds of answers.

But for one child, for Obi-wan Kenobi, it is perhaps more true than anyone would have thought.

It started when he was five standard.

He didn't remember why he'd run away, only that he had. Somehow he'd found his way into an abandoned part of the Temple. With no Masters around and feeling tired from all the running he'd sat down against a wall and started to cry.

"Are you lost, young one?" The voice was gentle, filling the air around him with warmth and sparkling light.

Looking up at the tall master he wiped the tears from his eyes and stared. They were much taller than any master he'd seen before, and he'd seen Master Tyvokka up close once! Their skin was a dark grayish tan that seemed to have patches of other colors in odd shapes down their neck. Their hair was long and black, though when the light hit it just right it turned different colors. But what distracted Obi-wan most was their eyes.

One eye was a blue so deep he thought it might contain all the stars and one a yellow so bright he thought it might contain a whole sun.

The master chuckled and knelt. "I know I look a bit strange, I doubt you have seen someone like me before."

Obi-wan nodded shyly, knowing it was rude to stare but being unable to look away.

"My name is Corus'canta Jedai, how about you young one?" There was a smile in their voice as they spoke and he couldn't help but smile back.

"Obi-wan."

The master smiled at him and reached out to pat his head gently. "Obi-wan, a very dear child. I can already see that you will be an exceptional Jedi one day. But, I think, it is time you returned to your caretakers. This is no place for one so small."

Obi-wan didn't remember how he got back to the upper levels and when he tried to describe the master he'd met their details always seemed to change.

He'd wonder now and then where that master went to and if they would ever meet again. He had no doubt that they were real, despite what others might say. Whenever he thought of them the force always reassured him they had been real, and that the meeting would prove to be important in the years to come.

They said the things he saw were just Visions, and that he should stay in the here and now.

Obi-wan stared at the sickly looking slave next to him. Though… there was no way this man could be a slave. Not with how strong he felt in the force.

"They are cutting me open, young one. I can feel how they delve into the depths and poison the waters." They said with a voice that almost ached to hear. "But you will aid me, I can feel it. Do not give up hope." With that they turned to leave and Obi-wan jolted forward to grab the edge of their tattered tunic.

"Wait! Who are you? How can I help you?"

Power coursed through his hand and he shivered as they turned bloodshot eyes towards him.

"Band'el Mire." And with that they disappeared.

After all was said and done he and Master Jinn freed the salves and managed to save the planet from the explosives planted in the deep sea mines.

As they were leaving he could swear he saw Band'el Mire once more, watching the two of them as they boarded the shuttle to return to the Temple. Even though he couldn't quite pinpoint where they were he couldn't help but turn and wave good-bye.

His new master didn't question it, though he did raise a brow at him curiously.

But he knew that what he saw was unequivocally real.

They were in the Senate for the details of a new mission. It wasn't the first time he'd seen the Senate Dome but Obi-wan had only been there as a child and he didn't really remember the experience much.

His master was inside the private office of a politician while he waited. The Senator had politely asked to speak to his master alone and seemed very dubious of Obi-wan, which had his master shooing him outside. Apparently those of the Senator's planet thought anyone below the age of seventeen had no right being involved in 'adult' conversations. It almost made him want to laugh.

"Good evening, young one. What brings you here today? Is there a reason you are standing in the hall?" He nearly jumped in surprise when a voice and presence appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

Turning he stared up at the being with wide eyes. They appeared to be human, or near-human, with bright silver eyes and extravagant, yet elegant, robes.

"Ah, I seem to have startled you. My apologies." There was a playful glint in their eyes and Obi-wan felt his cheeks pink slightly.

"I am Jedi Padawan Obi-wan Kenobi, he/him, and my Master is inside speaking about a… delicate matter." It was the most he could say without being rude or divulging mission details.

"Ah, I see. I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Padawan Kenobi. I am Sena-tuus Populus Que'Republica. I can see that you are occupied so I will not take up much of your time." Their eyes darted to the door then down the hall before landing back on Obi-wan. "I have a message for the Jedi of Corus'canta."

The way they spoke the word 'Coruscant' sparked a memory in the back of his mind. The memory of a tall and kind master who had helped him when he was lost.

"Wh-what is the message?" He felt like this was important, like something big was about to happen.

"Tell them that a darkness is rising here in the Senate, and I am unable to halt its progress for long."

Obi-wan opened his mouth to question what they meant when the door behind him clicked open. He turned to look back at his master. "Master I was just talking to Ser Que'Republica and they-" turning back around he found the hall empty and blinked in surprise.

His master cocked his head to the side slightly, eyes roaming the hall before falling back to him. "Did you have another vision, Obi-wan? Are you alright?"

Obi-wan shut his mouth in confusion. "I… no, Master. Someone was here. I swear."

"Well they aren't now. But maybe we'll see them again on the way out. Come along, Padawan, we have a mission." The man said calmly with a small smile.

"B-but Master they-they had a warning for the Council!"

"We will talk about it when we get to the ship. Do not dally, Padawan." The man's words were firm and Obi-wan deflated slightly.

He knew his warning would be chalked up to another vision and ignored.

He hadn't understood who they were, not until he met Her.

His master had left him. Left him and dozens of other kids to die of starvation or illness or worse. It wasn't the first time he'd felt like he was being left behind, but it was the first time he felt betrayed.

A hand landed gently on his shoulder and he shivered at the echo of pain that went through him. "I am sorry that your master could not stay- that he did not understand. If our situation were not so dire I would not have asked you to intervene. But my children and I are dying- I cannot let it continue."

Looking at the haggard woman he felt the urge to cry. Both for her and for himself. Her once green dress was scorched and torn, her long golden hair turned to blackened ash. Tear tracks flowed down her face, etched into her skin like a tattoo.

"Melidana, I'm just a padawan… I can't help you." Not even that, not anymore.

The spirit's hand tightened on his shoulder but instead of pain he felt the warmth of the force flow through him. "You are a Speaker, the first to arrive here in thousands of years. You speak so that our voices might be heard. I have faith in you, Obi-wan Kenobi."

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, forcing out all of his anxiety for the time being. When he straightened to his full height his eyes were clear and his decision made. "I will help you end this war."

It was the first time he'd heard the word Speaker but it resonated within his very soul.

Alderaan was beautiful and he said as much.

The ethereal woman standing next to him, wearing a pristine white dress and a crystalline crown, smiled at him gently. "Thank you for the compliment, young Speaker, I am pleased you enjoy my presence. I must admit that it was a pleasant surprise to see a Speaker again after all this time."

"It is my duty to serve, in any way I can." He said with a bow. "Is there anything troubling you that I should bring up to their Majesties?"

It had taken years to understand, and to finally realize what the Force had in store for him.

The spirit of Alderaan, Alde'or'thul, chuckled. "At present the only trouble I can see is how ridiculous the Houses are being over the coming nuptials. Please tell the happy couple that they have my personal blessing."

Obi-wan's shoulders relaxed as all the nervousness left him. It was always a good mission when a great spirit didn't need his help.

"I will inform them of your words." He swore.

No one had ever understood him before. Not even the Jedi. Not until… Mandalore.

"Padawan? I can sense you are troubled." As his master came to stand next to him Obi-wan watched the planet growing closer with trepidation. Even from the upper atmosphere he could sense the great spirit below as it turned all of its attention to him.

"It's nothing, Master, I'm just worried over our coming mission. The feeling will pass." It was a lie, a very polite one, and one he'd used before.

Master Jinn let out a small sigh but he didn't feel agitated in the force so Obi-wan would count that as a win. "You must live in the here and now, Padawan." Master Jinn admonished.

"Of course, Master." Everything would be fine. All he had to do was be careful not to act too oddly in front of the Duke's court. Shouldn't be too hard.

The moment his foot touched the ground he realized his mistake. His entire body locked into place as the presence he'd sensed all the way from the void of space appeared before him- looming like a large predator.

"What is this, now! First the Kal'evaarla'ade spread across my great expanse and now they have brought an Enemy to my surface? Blood will be shed for this insolence!" Ten feet tall and wearing gleaming armor the being glowered down at him with the sharp pupiled eyes of a predator. They gleamed, yellow and burning, from the open slit of their helmet.

"F-forgive me, Great Spirit, I did not know that I was not welcome. I-if you have a grievance I will take it to the-" He didn't even get to finish speaking before a large hand reached out and scruffed him, like a tooka kitten.

"You…" The rumbling voice changed from angry to curious as their face came closer to him. There was the sound of snuffling for a moment before the spirit let out a surprised bark of joy. "A Speaker!? And one from Corus'canta no less! Tell me, Speaker, how is my elder sibling?"

Obi-wan tried to smile, even as he hung in the spirit's grip and could feel his body tingling from the sheer power of the being before him. "I only met Corus'canta Jedai as a young child and have not had the chance to speak with them since, but they looked well." He said truthfully.

"No kidding?" They looked at him once more, taking in his padawan braid and how small he seemed to be in their hold. "Well met, Speaker. I am Manda, and you are welcome in my system."

Obi-wan tried to bow before he remembered that he was being held off the ground. "I am pleased to meet you, Manda. I am Obi-wan Kenobi, Jedi Padawan. We've come to speak with Duke Kryze about the current turmoil. If there is anything you would like me to relay-"

Manda snorted in derision. "You can tell the Kal'evaarla'ade to stop trying to rule my system as if they were part of Sena-tuus' vile brood! Manda'yaim has never been home to backstabbing cowards or weaklings! If the last Speaker was still around I would have stopped this foolishness long ago!" The great spirit's anger spiked for a moment before the emotion faded.

"O-oh, I see." He could feel a cold sweat along his brow and his hands were beginning to go numb. "Is th-there anything else?" He had to ask, to be sure, because he certainly didn't want to miss something and anger a great spirit this powerful.

Manda looked at him and frowned before slowly lowering him to the ground and releasing him. "Tell them that as long as they refuse to follow my chosen Mand'alor that they will doom themselves. As for you- I want you to remind them that the last Speaker was Tarre Vizsla, and that a Speaker's voice is more than just their own. I will be watching you, child." The being turned to leave but stopped for a moment. "Ah, but I'm forgetting. You cannot Speak if you do not know." Manda reached out and placed a hand on his head. There was a searing sensation inside his mind and everything went white.

With a gasp he sucked in a large breath of air as he snapped back to awareness. All around him he could hear yelling. "Obi-wan!" Looking up at his master he gave the man a shaky smile.

"I-sorry, Master, but the Force had something to show me. It was v-very important. I'll be fine in a moment." He tried to reassure the man, even as his fingers still spasmed uncontrollably from the strain of being in Manda's presence unshielded.

"Jetii, I think your kid needs a trip to the medbay." One of the present Mandalorians said as they stepped closer, the symbol on their pauldron marking them as a medic.

Master Jinn frowned but looked as if he was going to agree. Obi-wan shook his head quickly. "I can't! I need to speak with Chieftan Kryze. Manda has tasked me with a message."

In the ringing silence that followed Obi-wan could feel all eyes on him and he shivered at the strength of the stares. A faint echoing laugh in the back of his mind made him aware that Manda was still watching, but from a distance.

"What… what did you just say?" The medic's words sounded… off. Almost as if they were layered.

"Padawan, since when did you start learning the Mandalorian language?" He blinked in confusion up at Master Jinn.

"What? I don't know Mando'a." He'd looked into it before they left and yet he hadn't found hide nor hair of such a class. There were barely even any holobooks on the subject in the archives either.

The medic let out a low growl that gained his attention. "Jetii, did you just say that the Manda tasked you with a message?" There was a sense of wary anticipation growing all around them.

A feeling of strength flowed into his limbs and he swore he could hear the beating of his heart in his ears. "Yes."

"Are you a Speaker?" The medic asked, staring him down as if daring him to lie.

"Yes, I am a Speaker. You are the first to recognize me as one." He admitted. "Manda told me to remind the Duke of Tarre Vizsla, who was the last Speaker."

All of a sudden the medic turned on their heel and yelled to the crowd gathered around. "They are a Speaker!"

In an instant all the wariness fell away and was replaced by a loud cheer. It seemed like the news was quite welcome. It was the exact opposite of what he had grown used to when visiting new planets.

Next to him his master was tense with confusion and concern. "Padawan, what are they saying?"

Obi-wan licked his lips. "I-I told them what the Force told me, and they believed me. Although… the negotiations may not go exactly as planned." He said with a wince.

His master frowned at him in concern. "Padawan we're going to need to have a talk later."

Obi-wan ducked his head, knowing he'd angered his master but being unable to do much about it. When the Force called it was the duty of a Jedi to answer. It wasn't his fault that none of the masters back at the Temple could see what he saw.

"Come, Speaker. We will present you to the Duke." A new Mandalorian appeared and held out their arm to him. "Your quarters are being prepared now."

Obi-wan blinked and took the arm, letting himself be lifted off the ground. "Thank you."

The Mandalorian shook their head. "No thanks required. Speakers are sacred." They said firmly.

Obi-wan nodded at them, unsure, and looked back at his master. The man looked serene on the outside but it was obvious there was something wrong. Unfortunately they didn't have any time to talk as the new Mandalorian led them into the palace.

How could he have known that what was about to happen would shake the entire Galaxy?

"Presenting Speaker Kenobi and their Jeti'buir, Jinn." A hush fell over the Duke's court as the man stood from his chair, which was set upon a dais, and descended the stairs to greet them.

As he came closer Obi-wan bowed when his master did, letting his training take over as a million thoughts ran through his mind.

"Please, there's no need to be so formal. It is an honor to have you grace us with your presence, Speaker Kenobi." The Duke said with a smile, his presence giving away nothing but relief and gratitude. "Hopefully now that there is a Speaker back on Manda'yaim we might resolve our issues once and for all." The man shook his head. "If we had known there was a Speaker amongst the Jettise we would have asked for assistance sooner."

Next to him Master Jinn stiffened in confusion. "I'm not sure I understand, your Grace, Obi-wan is still a Padawan. I've never heard the term Speaker used for one of our Order."

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say as the Duke's eyes sharpened. "You have a Speaker and don't even know-?"

Stepping forward he cleared his throat, then had to hide a flinch as all eyes immediate turned to him. "I'm afraid that such knowledge has been, ah, lost to time. The Jedi believe all things are possible with the Force and so they believe that my… ability is akin to that of what we refer to as visions." He left out the part where he'd told them, adamantly, that what he was seeing were not visions, and how they had never believed him.

"I see." Judging by the Duke's steely gaze he thought the man had probably caught the implication anyway. The man turned to his master. "A Speaker is one who can commune with the spirit of a Planet directly. These wise spirits keep a planet, or a system, in balance. They are exceptionally rare and here in the Mandalore system are considered sacred- for they speak with the voice of the Manda."

Master Jinn put his arms into his sleeves and glanced his way. But there was nothing Obi-wan could say. The Duke was right, after all.

"And you believe my Padawan is one of these… Speakers?" His voice sounded more curious than skeptical.

"He said so himself." The Duke turned to him. "What is this message that Manda has for us?"

Obi-wan felt jittery with nerves and glanced at his master. He knew the parameters of the mission. They were to convince Mandalore to join the Republic. But… Manda was adamantly against it. He couldn't lie, he had to tell the truth.

Taking a deep breath he calmed himself and straightened. "Manda wishes you to know that they do not want to be ruled by the Republic, nor do they want their people to act like it. As long as you forsake the chosen Mand'alor your fate will be nothing but destruction."

The silence was tense, so tense you could cut it with a lightsaber and probably see sparks. There were murmurs of discontent all around them and he could feel their indignation.

"This must be some kind of dirty trick." One of the Duke's aides said with a fierce scowl. "How dare you use something sacred to our people in your farce!"

More angry shouts joined the first as his master glowered at him. "What have you done, Padawan?"

Obi-wan could feel his heart pounding in his chest, it almost sounded like drums. "Even Speaker Tarre Vizsla left the Jedi to become Mand'alor! They did not bring the Mando'ade into the Republic then- what makes you believe Manda wishes that now?" He asked the room, his voice much louder than he intended as the air vibrated with the force of his words.

An immense presence appeared beside him and he looked up at Manda in surprise. They grinned and placed their hand on his shoulder.

"Sena-tuus can kiss my backside before I will allow my people to become cowardly weaklings!" The power of his voice shook the whole room, the glass panes rattling in their frames. Nearby Master Jinn grabbed at his head and doubled over as if he were in pain.

Most of the Mandalorians fell to their knees, heads bowed as they shook in awe. Obi-wan could feel the power coursing through him but he wasn't in control. He was an empty vessel- a one way comm system.

"Speak and we shall obey." The Duke said from his knees before them.

Obi-wan could feel Manda's triumph, how they wanted to crow with joy at finally being heard. "Stop letting a trinket of a bygone era dictate who should or shouldn't be Mand'alor. Mando'ade are those who march forward, without faltering, living their lives to the fullest even to the last moment. We do not hide like cowards, we do not bow to invading armies, and we don't roll over for aruetiise! We are proud! We are strong! We are alive! Oya!"

As Manda spoke he could feel how their words lit a fire inside those who were present. But the longer the power coursed through him the more numb he felt. He was certain he was only able to remain standing because Manda wasn't finished with him yet.

"Oh great Manda, you say we shouldn't follow someone because of a trinket. I assume you mean the Dha'kad'au?" Manda, and by extension himself, looked down at the Duke. He could sense what the man was feeling just as Manda did. It was clear the question wasn't for his own benefit but for those who were too awed to question.

"Speaker Vizsla's kad'au belongs to Corus'canta and should be returned. I have already chosen a Mand'alor, though they are too far from my influence to aid." Manda said, narrowing their eyes and crossing their arms in thought. "Jango Fett is alive but trapped, unable to perform their duty to our people. Unless they are found I will need to choose a new Mand'alor." Manda let out a harsh breath. Then a thought struck them and Obi-wan felt a bolt of mischief run through him. "Since I can't be heard without a Speaker I hereby declare Kenobi the Speaker for my system. They Speak with my authority from this day forward."

Inside his mind he began to panic. This was the first time any of the great spirits had tried to claim him for themselves. He was also pretty sure that he was technically already Corus'canta Jedai's Speaker, since he came from the Jedi Temple and all.

Manda didn't seem to care as they finally released their hold on his body. Rather than collapsing like he thought he would Obi-wan was stunned to find himself perfectly fine. He looked up at Manda quizzically.

"I can't let my Speaker be weakened every time I use them as a vessel, now can I?" They chuckled. "That took a lot out of me. I have to rest for now, we'll speak again later." And with that the spirit was gone. Not even their watchful presence remained.

Obi-wan looked at all of the kneeling Mandalorians, who were watching him with near worshipful awe, and felt his cheeks burn with embarrassment.

Master Jinn rose to his feet, staring at him with a complicated expression. "Well, it's safe to say that our mission for the Senate has failed." The man said dryly. "But I don't think the Council will fault us, seeing as my Padawan was possessed by a force entity at the time. At least this time they'll listen when you tell them that this wasn't a vision. I've never heard of a vision being shared with dozens of force nulls before."

Obi-wan couldn't help it. He laughed. "So you finally believe me, Master?"

Master Jinn put a hand on his shoulder and smiled at him, still feeling a bit shaken in the force. "Yes, Obi-wan. I believe you."

Spirit Names and Domains;

Corus'canta Jedai- Coruscant Jedi Temple
Sena-tuus Populus Que'Republica- Republic Senate
Band'el Mire- Bandomeer
Melidana- Melida/Daan
Alde'or'thul- Alderaan
Manda- Mandalore Sector and Mandalorian people.
Kal'evaarla- Kalevala

Chapter 2
Chapter 2

Once everyone had calmed down and the Mandalorians shakily got to their feet things began to move very quickly. The Duke, who actually preferred the therm Alor or Chieftan, took charge and began issuing orders in rapid Mando'a. The Mandalorians were going to start a galaxy wide search for their Mand'alor, effective immediately. Apparently they'd assumed Jango Fett was dead, since they had been missing for the last three or so years. However with Manda themselves declaring Fett not just alive but unable to perform their duty because they were trapped well- the Mandalorians now had a goal to strive for.

Once a course of action had been declared Master Jinn told Alor Kryze that he would petition the Council for whatever information they had on Fett's last whereabouts. His expression fell slightly as he spoke, somber even in the Force. "We have much to make up for Galidraan. This is the least we can do, aiding you in finding your lost leader."

Obi-wan could tell that his master was trying to extend an open hand to the Mandalorians, an offer of peace and cooperation.

Alor Kryze watched him, blue eyes flinty like steel… or perhaps beskar. "We will allow you to use the conference room to call your Jetii'alore. Any information you can give us would be welcome." He turned towards Obi-wan and his expression brightened considerably. "As Manda's Speaker you are hereby considered a citizen of the Mandalore system. You will also have full access to the Inner Sanctuary." He only realized the man had switched from basic to Mando'a when his master frowned, unable to comprehend.

Obi-wan cleared his throat and smiled, putting his arms inside his sleeves to hide his nervousness. "Inner Sanctuary? You will have to explain that to me."

The man looked surprised for a moment before understanding came over him. "Of course, you wouldn't know. My apologies, Speaker Kenobi. The Inner Sanctuary is the home of the Speaker when on Manda'yaim. It is unfortunately not here in Sundari. Though we would prefer to move the location it is not for us to decide. Although the Temple is open to everyone who wishes to worship, only Manda's chosen may enter the Inner Sanctuary- the apartment part of the Temple in Keldabe dedicated to Manda. This includes the Mand'alor, you as Speaker, and Clan Vencuyanii who are dedicated to the upkeep of the Temple."

Obi-wan's mind was reeling. They… had a Temple dedicated to their great spirit? One that had an apartment that was apparently his now if he wanted it? There was a lot of 'firsts' happening on this planet when it came to his ability to talk to the great spirits and he didn't think he liked them all that much.

"Padawan? Are you quite alright?"

Turning to look up at his master he let out a small chuckle. "I think I may be a little tired." He admitted quietly.

His master and Alor Kryze shared a small look. "We have already set aside your rooms for you. If you need to rest no one would fault you, Speaker Kenobi. The call to your Jetii'alore can wait for a couple of hours." The man looked past them and smiled. "My oldest daughter can lead you, if you don't mind making her acquaintance."

Looking behind him he blinked at the young woman quickly coming their way. She appeared to be about his age with blonde hair and pale blue eyes that were a little brighter than her father's. When she was several feet away she stopped and gave them a very courtly bow, one that would not have been out of place amongst Coruscant's elites. Obi-wan glanced at his master then back to the young woman.

"Good day, I am Jedi Master Qui-gon Jinn, and this is my Padawan." His master introduced with a short bow.

Obi-wan dipped into a polite bow as well, giving her a polite smile. "Obi-wan Kenobi, at your service."

The young woman smiled, a faint flush coming to her cheeks. "Satine Kryze, it is a pleasure to have you here." Her eyes never left his as she spoke.

Behind him he could feel Alor Kryze's amusement. But all Obi-wan felt was awkward.

How did one subtly explain to the daughter of a duke that you weren't interested without insulting her and, by extension, her family?

"Sat'ika, I know you probably have a thousand questions but for now I need you to show Speaker Kenobi and Jetii Jinn to their guest quarters. I believe Aniss opened up the Vormur suite."

The young woman frowned for a moment before her smile returned. If Obi-wan hadn't been watching her he probably would have missed it. "Of course, father." Looking between Master Jinn and himself she made a delicate sweeping motion with her hand. "If you'll come with me?"

Master Jinn smiled and stepped forward. "You are most gracious."

Obi-wan wasn't so sure about that. There was a tingle of something familiar around the young woman, something he'd sensed before… but not something he could place. He decided it was best to put it to the back of his mind for the time being.

Only later would he realize why the young woman felt so familiar to him. Chief Kryze would tell him in passing that his eldest daughter had been enrolled in a preporatory school on Coruscant. The goal being to become the Mandalore System's future Senator once they'd joined the Republic. Something that wouldn't be happening now that Manda had spoken to their people.

It made sense. She had the air of someone who frequented the Senate Dome.

The Vormur room was absolutely luxurious. A wide open space with whisper thin hanging drapes in deep purples, plush pillow fit to burst, silken sheets, and beautifully carved art pieces tastefully distanced from one another so as not to feel crowded. There was even a dining area, four extra guest rooms fit for a proper entourage, and a balcony overlooking the city.

It made Obi-wan's stomach clench with anxiety.

"My padawan and I thank you for showing us the way to our suite, Lady Kryze." Master Jinn was saying behind him as he took in the luxury suite like a country bumpkin.

The young woman let out a small sniff and he swore he could feel eyes on the back of his neck. "Do you not mean Speaker?" She asked, her voice tight with an emotion he couldn't place.

"Whatever else he may be called, Obi-wan is my padawan." The man said, a smile in his voice.

Obi-wan felt some of the anxiety bleed off into the Force as he finally turned around. "It was one of your fellows who called me Speaker first. I'd really rather remain Padawan Kenobi." He told her simply, hoping that would ease some of the tension he could sense around her.

"And yet the fact that you know that term at all, in Mando'a, speaks to some kind of understanding." She shot back.

Obi-wan huffed and rubbed at his temple with a grimace. "I'm afraid Manda decided it was best that I understand their language if I were to Speak for them. I never knew Mando'a until today." And the experience of having a language downloaded directly into his brain was still weird.

"I see." She said slowly, sounding skeptical. "Well, I'm afraid I must return to my father. We have much to discuss. I suppose we shall see one another again, Padawan Kenobi, Master Jinn." With another polite bow she turned on her heel and left them alone.

Obi-wan let out a heavy sigh. At least he wouldn't have to explain that she was most certainly not his type, since his very presence seemed to evoke very conflicted and aggressive emotions from her.

Master Jinn let out a chuckle. "I think it's time you took a rest, padawan mine."

Giving his master a slightly strained smile he went over to the master bedroom of the suite and scowled. "Master… this is ridiculous. Who needs a bed this… this… extravagant?"

His master shook his head a little sadly. "Those in power often have preferences for luxury, though there is an exception to every rule. I'm sure that if we tell the Duke later that we would be more comfortable somewhere less conspicuous he will be accommodating." Going over to one of the guest rooms Master Jinn opened the door and motioned him over. "I think you'd be more comfortable in this room."

Looking inside he smiled a little tiredly. It did look a lot less expensive and a lot less open. The bed was also much smaller and more comfortable looking. "Thank you Master."

"You're welcome padawan. I will be meditating in the main room near that lovely miniature tree with the yellow vines growing around it if you need me."

He snorted in amusement as the door closed behind his master. Wandering over to the bed he unhooked his belt and slipped out of his outer tunics before flopping onto the bed with a grunt.

A nap really did sound wonderful at the moment.

Obi-wan's dreams were filled with angry shouts- the feeling of metal clasped around his neck. No! Not again! He wanted to cry out but the fog of his mind and the dryness of his mouth made it impossible. He looked across the room to see guards with electro-whips. Slaving scum. Outside there was a star system, it was very familiar.

They are not gone, only marching far away. He muttered under his breath in a rich voice before a sharp pain made him cry out. "Back to work Mandalorian dog!"

When I get out of here, I'm killing you first. Fierce amber eyes flashed in a tanned face littered with scars beneath sweaty dark curls.

It was the last thing Obi-wan remembered before he woke.

Waking with a gasp, uncertain how much time had passed, he felt a presence nearby. He sat up and scanned the room warily but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Whatever the presence was it was either an old echo or far too weak to manifest. Either way the result was the same- Obi-wan was awake.

Getting out of bed he went into the attached fresher and splashed his face with water to wake himself up further. There was nothing much he could do about his bed hair, besides wet it a little and try to make it lay a little more flat. Quickly getting dressed he followed the pulse of contentment down the bond he shared with his master.

Once he was close enough Master Jinn slowly came back from communing with the Force. He opened his eyes and smiled before pulling a decorative pillow off the couch and levitating it to rest across from him. "How are you feeling, Obi-wan?"

Obi-wan took the unspoken invitation and sat down across from his master. "Mostly well, Master. My headache is gone but I'm afraid that I… I experienced a very vivid vision while I was sleeping." He carefully kept himself from fidgeting but couldn't help the tenseness of his shoulders when the man frowned.

He expected to be told to stay in the here and now.

Master Jinn let out a sigh, his presence turning regretful. Obi-wan wanted to curl in on himself for even mentio- "I believe I owe you an apology, Obi-wan."

Blinking in surprise he looked up at his master in confusion. "Master?"

Master Jinn gave him an almost sad smile. "Although I am a Master of our Order there are times when I will make mistakes. I am still only human, even with the Force to guide me." He said carefully. "I allowed others biases and my own experiences to color how I have been treating you, and I wanted to express my sincere regret at those actions." The man took a slow deep breath and let it out again. "Obi-wan, I never should have made you feel like you could not confide in me about your visions or these spirits you see. I believed, arrogantly, that I was correct in my assumption that these were the fancies of a child's mind attempting to interpret the vastness of the Force." He shook his head. "But I cannot remain ignorant after what I witnessed earlier today." There was a hushed kind of awe in his voice now. "I see now that your visions, and these spirits, are Force given gifts that should be treasured."

Obi-wan swallowed hard as his eyes began to burn slightly. "I don't think the Council is going to see it that way." He said, instead of voicing all the confusing thoughts rioting inside his mind.

Master Jinn chuckled. "Since when have I ever given you the impression that the Council and I see eye to eye?"

Obi-wan let out a wet sounding laugh. "My mistake, Master."

The man's eyes filled with warmth and he motioned Obi-wan closer. Bringing his pillow with him Obi-wan sat next to his master and wasn't surprised when he was pulled in for a comforting hug.

"Let me deal with the Council. I believe you had a vision to relay to me?"

Obi-wan smiled as he wiped away the budding tears. "I do. It starts with a collar-"

After relaying the dream vision to his master he nibbled on his lower lip and waited for the verdict.

"…you say that the being in your vision, the body you were inhabiting, was speaking Mando'a and one of the slavers called them a Mandalorian?" The man stroked his beard in thought.

"That's correct, Master. And I feel like I recognize the star system as well. It was familiar to me. I'd have to look at the star charts but I think I could narrow down their position." He said earnestly. "Master… I… I think I know who it was."

Master Jinn's head tilted slightly, a sign of curiosity and that he was listening intently. "Who do you think it was?"

"The Mand'alor." He said honestly. "They are someone Manda is very focused on finding so I think this was a glimpse of their location." He waited for judgment as his master let out a hum.

"I think you may be right." He said after a moment. "It stands to reason that after being possessed by a powerful Force entity that anything connected to them would be easier for you to sense. Especially if the spirit is actively searching."

Obi-wan stared for a long moment before something in his heart eased and a smile crossed his face. "Exactly, Master! Now… what do we do with this information?" He knew what he wanted to do with it, what Manda would want him to do, but having input from his master was also important.

"I think it would be best to alert the Duke to the possibility we may have a lead on the Mand'alor. I'll leave it up to your discretion whether you tell them it came from a vision or not. Although if they believe it was a vision granted by the Force entity-"

"Manda." Obi-wan corrected, before his mouth clacked shut and his face flushed slightly in embarrassment.

Master Jinn looked mildly surprised but nodded in understanding. "Manda. I believe if the Mandalorians think the vision came from Manda then they will be more inclined to believe it."

"I'll speak with Alor Kryze then. What about you Master?"

Master Jinn smiled, his eyes alight with mischief. "You worry about what to tell the Duke and his people. I believe I have a report to make to the Council."

Obi-wan couldn't help grinning in response. For the first time he might have actually agreed with his master thumbing his nose at the Council. Then again it was in his own defense. He'd be a bit daft to not appreciate it this time.

"Let us meditate together for a little while. Once we're done we can get to our separate tasks."

"Yes Master, it sounds like a plan."

He didn't know what his Master had told the Council, but the anger and indignation he'd felt along their bond meant that something must have been said. He wondered if they had said something about him, or maybe they just didn't appreciate how the mission had gone so awry. Either way he wasn't certain he wanted to know or not, and Master Jinn didn't seem all that inclined to tell him.

It was probably for the best.

After the meditation session with his Master, which had been very relaxing and reaffirmed their bond, he asked one of the Mandalorian guards standing outside their quarters if they could bring him to the Alor. The other he asked if they could show his Master to the conference comm room to make a call.

It was both satisfying and nerve wracking how quickly they complied with his polite requests- as if they were orders. Master Jinn sent along a feeling much like a reassuring hug down their bond and he let his mind be enveloped with it, bleeding off the anxiety into the Force.

It took maybe five minutes to explain what he'd seen, and the information he'd gained from his dream-vision. Alor Kryze was quiet for a moment before he smiled. "You truly are a gift from the Ka'ra. Let me get someone to help you look over the star charts and we can narrow down the location."

Once again Obi-wan was surprised by how quickly someone was to believe his words. It was a conflicting sense of bitterness, that no one had listened before, and joy.

There were a few who were wary of him and his words, one being Alor Kryze's aide and the other being his elder daughter. He wasn't sure what he'd said for the young woman to go from finding him attractive to finding his presence unacceptable but he had no time to parse it out.

Manda had given him a mission and he would see it through to his best abilities.

As he was looking through the star charts he thought he felt a presence once more and looked around, only to see nothing there. Then something unexpected happened. The charts started to flicker past his eyes on their own accord, as if someone else were in control of the system. He stood, transfixed, as the information flashed across the screen faster and faster until it finally stopped- right on the star system from his dream.

"This… this is it. This is the system I saw." He said, voice barely above a whisper in the silent room.

The Mandalorian who had been sent to assist him was giving off waves of awe and some fear, which to be fair Obi-wan was also experiencing.

'…go swiftly, young Speaker. May the Force be with you.' Whirling around he scanned the room both with his eyes and the Force but there was no one there besides the Mandalorian next to him.

"Did you hear that-?" He asked.

"Hear what, Speaker?" They looked around the room as well but after a moment they turned and shrugged at him.

"Never mind, then. Anyway, this is the star system. We should get this to Alor Kryze quickly. Something tells me that we have a very short window of time." The Mandalorian nodded before downloading the information to a datapad, and Obi-wan would really have to start remembering names since it seemed rude to just refer to them as 'Mandalorian.'

It took surprisingly little time for Alor Kryze to have everything ready for a rescue attempt. It was nice to know that the Mandalorians were just as disgusted by slavery as the Jedi were, regardless of who was enslaved.

He was asked to go as well but something in the Force warned him that it would be best not to. It had to be the Mand'alor's people who rescued them, not a Jedi.

So instead he and Master Jinn remained on Mandalore.

On the third day someone asked him if he would like a tour of Keldabe, and to see Manda's Temple. There was no reason to object so he took them up on the offer. Master Jinn suggested he stay behind in Sundari in case there was word or something happened that required his input.

His guide, Ruusan Vhehn, was a cheerful woman with a rambunctious disposition. Everywhere they went she introduced him as Speaker Kenobi, which he was both embarrassed and pleased by. Feeling the hostility of those around him turn to awe and excitement was certainly an interesting experience. Especially considering it was normally the other way around.

It took them some time to get to the Temple but the moment they got close he could feel its presence. It shone in the force in a myriad of colors, as vibrant as the people of Mandalore. For a Temple dedicated to a Deity who ruled over not only an entire System but a Belief, it looked surprisingly humble.

"This is the main entrance. A lot of it is underground and connected to outbuildings." Ruusan explained as they walked up the carved stone steps. "It's built to be a last stronghold should Keldabe be attacked, as unlikely as that is."

Ah, well that made sense. Seeing as Manda was a very warrior-like spirit.

Heading inside they were stopped by someone in armor that was surprisingly reminiscent of Manda's own. Almost as if someone had seen the greater spirit then tried to emulate their armor to the best of their abilities.

"Who comes to kneel before Manda?" The guard asked firmly, though they didn't try to stop either of them from coming inside.

"I, Ruusan of Clan Vhehn, come to kneel before Manda. With me is Speaker Kenobi, Chosen by Manda." The woman said firmly, the words sounding almost ritualistic in their delivery.

The guard stiffened before turning fully towards him and placing a hand against their chest plate. "It is an honor to once again have a Speaker grace the Temple with their presence. Let me be the first to welcome you Home, Speaker Kenobi." They said in hushed awe and unfettered joy, bowing slightly to humble themselves.

Obi-wan flushed all the way to his ears, he could feel the heat of it, and hoped that no one commented. He cleared his throat, glancing at Ruusan for a hint of what to do or say.

'The honor is shared, as we are all children of Manda.' It was the voice from before, this time much clearer.

"Th-the honor is shared, as we are all children of Manda." He repeated, much to the surprised delight of the guard.

"Someone will be free to escort you to the Inner Sanctuary as soon as possible." They said politely before turning to Ruusan. "Your vod is resting currently but has been doing well after their healing sessions. If you wish to stick around they should be up again in about ten minutes or so."

He could feel a mix of hope, old grief, and joy from the woman next to him. "Thank you. I'll just stick with Speaker Kenobi for now."

The guard's helmet tilted downward slightly in disapproval. "You know the law, you may not follow the Speaker into the Inner Sanctuary."

"That's no problem." Obi-wan smiled, cutting in and feeling only a little bad about it. "I will wait with Ruusan in the public areas of the Temple until their vod can see them." He had the vague sense that suddenly ditching Ruusan would be not only rude but would somehow be dishonorable, although he didn't know why he felt that.

"Understood, Speaker." The guard said, placing their hand to their chest plate once more and stepping back into their alcove.

"This way, Speaker Kenobi." Ruusan said, motioning to the end of the small hall.

As they were walking he could see where the ancient stone had grooves for what seemed to be well hidden blast doors. The Temple really was part fortress, wasn't it?

Coming out into a large room his eyes went wide at the statue of what was clearly Manda. It stood about twelve feet tall in a triumphant pose, one hand on a long spear and the other holding a sword raised in victory. Around the room in small alcoves were much smaller statuettes of what appeared to be Mandalorian warriors.

Ruusan seemed to notice where he was looking and grinned. "These are the past Mand'alore. Although some of their names have been lost we still have these images to remember them by. As the saying goes- I remember you so you are eternal."

Obi-wan wasn't certain why that struck a note within him but it sounded very close to the Jedi's philosophy of becoming one with the Force after death.

"How do you decide what statues to include?" He asked. "Have there never been any false Mand'alore?"

Ruusan's expression darkened and she looked around, as if hoping no one else had overheard his question. She stepped closer. "I'll explain but you may want to be careful about that topic right now. You do know we're on the brink of civil war, right? Well part of that is because Tor Vizsla declared themselves Mand'alor over Jaster Mereel. Without a Speaker no one could say one way or the other who was the rightful Mand'alor as both had a… fairly equal claim. The same with the current Mand'alor Jango Fett. But now that we have you we can ask Manda who the rightful Mand'alor was before Fett. The news should sway anyone who hasn't picked a side yet and I think that a lot of people are going to defect from Kyr'tsad when they realize that Manda has chosen Fett over Vizsla."

Obi-wan nodded solemnly. It seemed that the system was far more unstable than they'd been told. He'd have to let his master know so he could warn the Council.

"I'll keep that in mind." He said as he looked up at the statue of Manda.

The two of them walked around the large space for a time, avoiding those who were knelt in prayer out of respect.

It was interesting to see what kinds of offerings were made to Manda. He didn't think they would have such a practice.

"The offerings of food and drink actually go to the Vencuyanii Clan, since they spend their entire lives guarding and serving the Temple. Anyone can join the Vencuyanii Clan, as long as they dedicate themselves to serving Manda with their entire soul. Someone born into the Vencuyanii can also leave if they wish, though I've heard it happens very rarely. They aren't banned from having families or anything either, though their duties to Manda and the Temple always come first before that of their spouses and children."

It was an interesting concept and reminded him of the rumours he'd heard about the Jedi Corps members. Hushed rumours that no one ever spoke about openly.

Time seemed to fly by as he listened to Ruusan relay information about the different Mand'alors of the past and how they each got their Title. He noticed one of the guards hurrying towards them, only to stop and tap their chest. He was beginning to realize that since Mandalorians didn't like bowing to one another, normally, this was their version of a respectful gesture.

"Is there something you need from us?" He asked politely.

"Apprentice Goran Vhehn is up and ready to speak with you, Warrior Vhehn." They said, inclining their head towards Ruusan.

Ruusan smiled brightly. "Would you like to meet my cousin, Speaker Kenobi? Myles is a very down to earth vod and 'Im sure he'd be ecstatic to hear abut our search for the Mand'alor, they were close friends after all."

Obi-wan smiled but shook his head. "I think I'll let you and your vod have some time alone together. I… feel something in the Force pulling me onward."

The woman looked at him quietly for a moment before nodding. "I hereby relinquish my duty of guide and bodyguard to the Temple. I do not set down my burden lightly, but with the understanding that it is not my place." Again it almost sounded ritualistic. It was in the cadence of the words spoken, almost like a mantra.

"We, the Guardians of the Temple, shall take this burden upon ourselves. Go with honor, Warrior Vhehn." Was the response, just as formal.

Obi-wan felt a familiar shiver run down his spine. It was so similar to how the Jedi Temple Guards spoke, it was almost eerie.

After Ruusan left he turned to the Guard and gave them a polite smile. "If you could lead me to the Inner Sanctuary, I would be most grateful."

The Guard seemed mildly taken aback but inclined their helm, tapping their chest once more. There was a pleased sense of rightness about them as they spoke. "If you would follow me?"

They went deeper into the Temple, passing many rooms whose purpose were sometimes easy to understand and other times baffling. Some he passed had medical suites installed and looked to be used to help those in need. Others looked to be some kind of meditation room, where groups gathered to sit in silent contemplation. A few had rooms with large circles engraved deeply into the floor, one of which was occupied by two warriors in the middle of a bloody brawl and a small gathering of audience members who were shouting encouragement. There was also a Guard in attendance, watching everything with the air of duty, honor, and wariness.

It was very odd.

"Speaker Kenobi." He shifted focus when he heard someone call his name. It was a being of indeterminate gender in a mix of Mandalorian styled tunics and armor. Their armor was pure unpainted beskar engraved with designs that evoked a kind of timelessness to them. He startled when he realized that one of their bracers had a familiar buzz of kyber.

His eyes went wide when he realized that the Mandalorian before him was Force Sensitive.

"I can feel your surprise, Speaker. But many of those who come to the Vencuyanii can hear or feel the whispers of the Ka'ra. We choose to serve Manda rather than the Force that the Jetiise serve."

Obi-wan slowly nodded in understanding, still reeling at this new revelation. Of course, he should have suspected it. The Force didn't discriminate when it came to those who could use it and those who couldn't. The Mandalore Sector was fairly large so the chance of their being Force Sensitives was not zero.

"If you will come with me? There is someone who wishes to see you."

Obi-wan cocked his head to the side as he followed the… servant? Aide? Guide? "Who could want to see me who is also allowed inside the Inner Sanctuary?" He wondered aloud. "Alor Kryze said that only I, as Speaker, the Vencuyanii, and the Mand'alor were allowed inside."

The servant gave him a secretive smile as they walked into an open and very homey space.

"Who indeed, young Speaker." The voice from before rumbled through the room, deep and warm.

Stopping in his tracks he stared at the shimmery form of an armored being that was at least two feet taller than himself. They wore armor and a long cloak yet on their belt he could see the hilt of a lightsaber. "It is a pleasure to meet you Speaker of Manda, Padawan of Corus'canta Jedai, and child of the Force."

Obi-wan swallowed down his panic and slipped his hands into his sleeves to bow like a proper padawan should. After all this being felt powerful in the same way a seasoned Master or Councilor did. "Master." He said in response.

The being chuckled and came to stand before him. "Rise, young padawan. We are equals here." They said warmly.

Obi-wan lifted his head and stared up into bright amber eyes. "To whom am I speaking?" He asked, even though he had a good idea as to their identity.

"I am the spirit of Tarre Vizsla, Speaker of Manda, Master of the Jedi Order, and Mand'alor the Star Touched."
Yeah… that's what he'd thought. Just wait until he told Master Jinn about this.

"It is an honor to meet you. But if you don't mind my asking, why are you still here?" It may have seemed impertinent but he was honestly curious.

The being drew themselves up, their aura turning somber. "I had a vision that the next Speaker of Manda would be one who had no knowledge of our shared gift and chose to remain for the time when they would appear. I am here as a teacher, and as one who understands the burden you now carry." They placed a hand on his shoulder and it was surprisingly solid. "We have much work to do before the Mand'alor returns. You cannot meet them as a Jetii, to do so could bring ruin upon our shared peoples. You must meet them as a Speaker if we are to succeed." With that they turned away and walked further into the room, kneeling on a carpet across from a meditation pillow.

"Succeed… succeed at what?" He asked as he knelt across from the, for lack of a better word, ghost.

"Stopping the Sith from tearing the galaxy asunder and erasing both the Jetiise and the Mando'ade from existence."

Fuuuuuuuuuuck!
This was so frikkin' COOL!
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Chapter 3
Chapter 3

"All things have an echo within the Force. Life, emotion, even thought. A Spirit is made when the echoes of those things grow strong enough to develop its own presence. A people, a place, even a belief can create a spirit. It takes millennia for a Greater Spirit to form. A lot of older texts refer to these beings as Deities or Gods. In essence they are a gathering of the Force, much like a Nexus. However, it is sentients that give those Spirits form and personality rather than a well of focused power."

Obi-wan sat, enraptured, as the ghost of Mandalore's last Speaker began their lecture. To learn from an accomplished master was one thing, but this was someone who had shared his gift and understood the hardships he'd gone through.
"All Jedi Temples will, inevitably, form their own Greater Spirits. That is because we, as Jedi, gather and concentrate the Force within us- which gives form to our thoughts and intentions. The same could be said of Sena-tuus, the Spirit of the Republic Senate. Millennia of millions of sentient beings all gathering with purpose, even if those purposes didn't always align. If the location of the Senate were to disappear tomorrow, so long as the idea of the Republic Senate were to remain then Sena-tuus will continue to exist."

"Can a Spirit's appearance change over time?" He asked, mind going back to his memories of Band'el Mire and Melidana.

"It can, yes, and they do. It can take hundreds of years or… or one devastating change in either the planet or the population of a planet." There was an aura of grief around the Master now and Obi-wan could feel an echo of old pain.

"Do you know why you were greeted by Manda themselves and yet the spirit of Manda'yaim has not appeared to you yet?"

Obi-wan blinked before frowning in thought. "I thought Manda was the spirit of both this planet and the people's belief system?"

Tarre shook their head. "Manda is the spirit of all Mando'ade, the fire within our souls. Yaim be'Manda was the spirit of this planet."

Obi-wan swallowed. "Was-?"

"When the Senate enacted the Dral'han, what the Republic history books like to call the Excision, Yaim be'Manda was heavily damaged. Not only due to the loss of life, but also the loss of belief that Yaim was a safe home for the Mandalorian people. The Dral'han did a lot of damage to the psyche of the Mando'ade, which resulted in the loss of Yaim's existence." Tarre said with a weary sigh Obi-wan could feel in his bones.

Dral'han. His newly acquired ability to understand Mando'a told him that the translation meant Great Annihilation.

"I-I'm so sorry." He said, hunching in on himself as shame and guilt began to pool in the back of his mind. The very idea that one of those brilliant age-old beings might just vanish… it left him with a deep sense of grief like a yawning dark maw.

"Do not apologize, young padawan. It was not your time nor your place, the decisions of the past are not ours to bear." Tarre said softly. "The Jedi are as much my people as the Mando'ade are, to see them on opposing sides once more saddens my heart. But I had already marched on by the time of the Dral'han, so there was nothing I could do but to endure and wait for the new Speaker to be born."

"Me." Obi-wan said in understanding.

"Yes, you. A shining beacon of Light in the Force, unpolished as all padawans are yet already showing a strength of will and character that would make any seasoned master proud to have you in their lineage."

Obi-wan felt heat creep up his face and cursed his pale skin for making it so easy to tell when he was blushing.

"Speaking of, if you would permit me I would like to include you in my own Lineage as well. It would give you credibility here on Manda'yaim, though those who rule my Clan currently are doing their best to have our name mean less than a handful of sand in the desert."

Obi-wan's breath hitched in his throat. "Y-you want me in your Lineage?" The Ghost of a famous Jedi Master, Mand'alor, and Speaker wanted him in their Lineage?

"You would remain with your own Master, of course, we would only be sharing in your teaching. It was common in my day to allow a padawan to train under a second Master if their first did not have the knowledge to teach a particular gift. It was also common to have more than one padawan at that time."

"I… I'll have to think about it. I want to ask Master Jinn his opinion before I agree to anything."

Tarre smiled and gave him an approving nod. "Of course. Now, where was I?" They went quiet for a moment. "Ah, yes- as all Greater Spirits are a part of the Force you can sense their wellbeing so long as you have a connection to them. Now that Manda has claimed you as their Speaker you will be able to communicate with them no matter where you are in the galaxy. You will also be able to tell if something has happened to them or if they require your attention. I will warn you that Manda is very demanding, they can show up at the most inopportune moments. Like the time I finally asked my beloved if they would do me the honor of swearing the Riduurok with me. I had never seen Parjana so incensed before that moment." They chuckled.

Obi-wan snickered in response, feeling the giddiness, amusement, and love Tarre had for the memory of their spouse. Wait… spouse? "You were married? The texts in the Temple don't say anything about you being married."

Tarre sighed. "A lot was lost when my descendants foolishly broke into the Temple and stole my lightsaber for themselves. If I had been able to leave this sanctuary I would have had a lot to say to my great-grandchild for their selfishness." They shook their head. "Yes, child, I was married. I also had five children with my spouse, three of blood and two of heart. Not counting the fact that one of them was also a padawan of mine whose parent had been killed on a mission."

"Did… any of your children share your gift?"

Tarre shook their head. "No, it takes a rare soul to be able to Speak with the Greater Spirits. It is not something that can be engineered or taught. One must have the ability at birth."

"If it can't be taught, then why did you-"

"Remain behind to teach you?" Tarre chuckled. "The ability to Speak may not be taught, but the accumulated knowledge of countless Speakers can be passed down. Along with a warning." Tarre became stern, sitting at their full height and stare becoming more intense. "There are some Greater Spirits you must never, never, deal with. Let alone speak to or acknowledge. Sithari Kor'ban, Dromari Kaasa, Tarisius, and Mother Dathir. They are spirits that have been corrupted by the Sith or steeped in the Darkside so long that they are a danger to any outsider, but especially a Speaker. There are others that are dangerous, but if you know how to Speak with them respectfully they will be neutral towards your presence. Tus'kat'ul'diin, the spirit of the planet Tatooine and patron of the Tusken people, is very reclusive. If you ever see them out in the desert they can be fiercely defensive, unless you know the ways to honor them. This is the kind of knowledge I will impart to you. Starting with how to act as Manda's Chosen."

Obi-wan sat up straighter, shoulders back. "I am ready to learn, Speaker Vizsla."

"Good."

Outside the Inner Sanctuary where he had been sequestered for far longer than he realized, time flew by. Unbeknownst to him the Mandalorians had finally caught up with a certain spice freighter run by a gang of slavers.

It was there that they found their Mand'alor- drugged, collared, emaciated, and beaten. But not broken.

After killing the slave captain he'd sworn vengeance on himself Jango helped to free the others slaves, offering them freedom and refuge in Mandalorian space.

Not a single slaver survived the attack, and the ship was destroyed after the slicers were finished scouring the computers for every possible scrap of information.

For the next three days the medics on board kept the man in a state of unconsciousness as he suffered the worst effects of the detoxification and emergency surgeries. When they arrived on Manda'yaim he was not healthy, not by any stretch, but his mind was clear for the first time in years.

When his comm went off with a message from his Master, reminding him he had to return to the palace before dark, Obi-wan realized he'd spent the majority of the day just listening to Speaker Vizsla and asking questions.

They chuckled when he made a face at his comm. "This is your home as much as it is my resting place. You are welcome here at any time, for any reason." Standing they wandered over to an alcove in the wall he hadn't noticed earlier, too distracted by the ghost of a former Mand'alor to really take a look around. They reached into a box and pulled something out before turning back to him.

Obi-wan marveled at the fact that, once again, a literal ghost was affecting the world as if they were still alive.

Tarre held out their hand and Obi-wan took what was offered. It was a skull pendant on a thin metal chain. The pendant itself sang in the force like a beautiful choir, many voices raised in song together as one.

Tarre's hand brushed a tear from his face- he hadn't even realized he'd begun to cry.

"That is the song of every Speaker who has been Chosen by Manda, all the way back to the First. The chain is made of beskar attuned so as not to interfere with the Force. The pendant itself is carved from the tusk of a Mythosaur, and shares its likeness. With this everyone will be able to recognize you as the rightful Speaker, for no one would be able to touch it besides Manda's Chosen. It will protect you." They cocked their head to the side, as if listening to something, and nodded to themselves. "It is time for you to go. You will return tomorrow and I shall continue my instruction. We have little time before the Mand'alor returns- you must be ready."

Obi-wan bowed out of habit but Tarre didn't chide him for it.

After making his way out of the Inner Sanctum, one of the servants happy to show him the way back, he was surprised to find Ruusan still waiting.

"It is my duty, Speaker Kenobi. I only relinquished it to the Temple Guards until it was time to return to Sundari."

He smiled, grateful that he would not have to try and make the trip back alone. "Did you have a nice visit with your cousin?"

Ruusan grinned. "I did. They're doing much better than the last time. The news about Mand'alor Fett raised their spirits considerably."

"Oh, that's good news!" Obi-wan smiled as the woman began to regale him with stories of her cousin's exploits and accomplishments.

As he was leaving the Temple he had a niggling feeling at the back of his mind that Myles was going to be important. He wasn't sure why, but the Force had never steered him wrong before.

This was it. His first meeting with Mand'alor Fett. The man had been brought home five days ago but the medical staff had refused to release him until he'd had a long dip in bacta and had enough nutrition that he no longer looked on the brink of death.

He had asked Master Jinn if the Council had anything to say about their extended stay in the Mandalore Sector but the man just waved him off, mentioning that the initial plan had been to stay for at least a month regardless.

Taking Ba'ji Vizsla's advice Obi-wan chose to wear a more traditional set of Mandalorian styled tunics to the meeting. But he refused to remove his padawan braid- stating that both of his masters would be very cross if anyone tried to force the issue.

Before the Mand'alor's arrival he'd spoken to Master Jinn about Tarre's offer, and was surprised when the man readily accepted. Apparently the fact that Tarre was a ghost meant that the rules no longer really applied to them anyway. So in a way they weren't breaking any of the Order's tenets or laws.

Wearing the Speaker's Pendant openly he walked with a set of guards and his master to the makeshift throne room Fett had decided to commandeer. Apparently the open space and wide glass windows, regardless of what they were made of, made Mand'alor Fett anxious. Coming up to the doors he spied the Temple Guard that had insisted on being present for the meeting and gave them a polite nod in greeting.

The Guard placed their hand against their chest plate in response.

Master Jinn placed a hand warmly on his shoulder and smiled. "This is where I must leave you, Padawan." He said softly. "May the Force be with you, Obi-wan. I'll see you the moment you're finished."

He nodded and turned to face the door. Taking a deep breath he pulled the Force around him before exhaling all of his anxieties. Opening the door he walked inside with a confident stride.

'You are Manda's voice, there is nowhere in the Mandalore Sector that you do not belong. Speakers are humbled only by the Greater Spirits we serve.' These were the words his Ba'ji had imparted to him the day before, in preparation of this meeting.

As he entered the room the Temple Guard followed, two steps behind and one to the right. It was when they came closer that Obi-wan realized who the Temple Guard was and a small smile crossed his face.

Sitting on a large chair piled with cushions, being glowered at by a medic, sat a man not much older than he was. Just like in his dream-vision they had tanned skin littered with scars, dark curly hair, and sharp amber eyes filled with inner fire.

The man obviously noticed his approach, there was only one way in or out of the room after all, and watched him warily. When he was perhaps ten feet away Obi-wan stopped. Raising his right hand he placed his four fingers against his forehead in greeting before placing his open palmed hand against his chest near his heart. "Mand'alor, it is an honor to meet a fellow Chosen of Manda. I am Obi-wan Kenobi, the one who Speaks with Manda's voice."

The Mand'alor grit their teeth, eyes narrowed on the braid behind his ear. "You're a Jetii." They accused as they stood from their chair, much to the consternation of the medic nearby.

"I am a student of the Jetii, yes. A child of Corus'canta Jedai specifically." His voice never wavered, even as the man across from him pulled a pistol and aimed it at his head.

"Then you are my enemy!" The man declared, disdain dripping from his voice.

"Jango, no!" The Temple Guard behind him slipped off their helmet, revealing dark gray eyes in a tawny face beneath dark locks. "I know what you're thinking, but Speaker Kenobi isn't your enemy. Please but the blaster down."

At the sound of the man's voice the Mand'alor's head snapped toward them, face paling and lips trembling. "M-Myles-?"

"Yeah, kid, it's me." Setting down their pike and helmet Myles took slow steps towards Fett, hands held in front of them where the man could see he had no weapons. "I know how things looked back there, but it's okay. We survived." He said softly. "Some of us didn't make it, but most of us were able to limp our way back to the ships and escape when the Jetiise captured you. We-we've been looking for you for years, kid, but we had no leads. It was Speaker Kenobi that told us you were even alive and where to find you."

As the man spoke the Mand'alor slowly lowered their weapon, their arm trembling though they were clearly trying to hide it. "Kriff, Myles, you were… I thought they- they cut you in half!" Their words came out in a choked off sob.

"I know, kid, but that wasn't me. It was Devrim. They… they shoved me out of the way at the last minute." A strong pang of grief echoed between the two of them at the mention of the other Mandalorian.

Obi-wan had no idea who Devrim had been but it was obvious that the Mand'alor understood.

"They are not gone, merely marching far away… fuck!"

Myles chuckled as they finally stopped, directly in front of the Mand'alor. "C'mere, kid."

One moment the man was standing there, trying to look strong, and the next they and Myles were kneeling together on the floor, Fett sobbing uncontrollably into their armor.

Obi-wan looked toward the Medic, who seemed uncertain what to do, and shook his head. He motioned to the corner of the room and the two of them quietly left the two crying men alone.

"I can see that the Mand'alor is still healing and is not yet able to have official company. I will take my leave for now. I suggest you find them a mind healer as quickly as possible." Although he was certain that knowing not all their companions had died would help ease the pain at least a little.

"I'll look into it. What are you going to do now?" The medic asked, looking him over as if they could judge his health without the use of a scanner. Or… maybe their helmet did have a scanner.

"I will return to my quarters and meditate. If the Mand'alor is feeling up to trying this again today then please feel free to contact me."

"Understood."

And with that he was no longer the medic's concern as they quietly made their way back over to where Myles and the Mand'alor were still holding one another and pouring out their grief.

Obi-wan quietly slipped back out into the hall, where his Master was waiting.

"Finished already?" His tone and the raised brow implied that he thought it was far too soon to be over.

"I'm afraid the Mand'alor has had to reschedule. He has just been reacquainted with a friend he thought long dead and the two were… having a moment."

"I understand. Well then, Padawan mine, it seems we have some free time. Meditation?"

"Yes please."

A week flew by and his life continued as it had been the previous week.

He woke up in Sundari, got ready for the day, sparred with his Master before meditation, then had breakfast. Then he would take a speeder to the Temple to learn more about being a Speaker from Ba'ji Vizsla.

Only this day was different.

About an hour into his lessons with the ghost of a former Mand'alor, there was a knock at the door. Looking at Tarre in confusion his Ba'ji just smiled. "I will be observing, but I won't interfere. You are the Speaker now." With that said his Ba'ji vanished into thin air.

Obi-wan rolled his eyes and felt something rustle his hair in retaliation. He chuckled as he made his way to the entrance of the apartment.

Opening the door he expected to see one of the servants with an urgent message, they did that quite often when he'd forgotten to turn on his comm again. But instead he was met with a fully armored Mand'alor, save for the helmet which was held under their arm.

They looked at him quietly for a moment but Obi-wan didn't budge. Tarre had been insistent that the Inner Sanctuary belonged to him, and that as such no one was allowed inside without his express permission. Although the Mand'alor was allowed to be in the space, they had to be the one to ask to enter. Just as Obi-wan would have to ask permission to venture into the royal suite of the Mand'alor's fortress.

"Speaker Kenobi, may I come inside?" Now that their voice wasn't filled with exhaustion, rage, or grief he was surprised at the smoothness of it.

"You are welcome within my sanctuary, Mand'alor Fett." The words came before he could really think about it and he found himself stepping back out of the way, allowing the man inside.

Fett hesitated for a moment before placing their hand against their chest plate and stepping inside.

"Boots off at the door." Obi-wan said, something he'd heard from Tarre every single time he'd stepped foot into the apartment. His mouth snapped shut and he flushed slightly in embarrassment but when he glanced over at Fett the man seemed contemplative, rather than offended.

Leaving the man to pull off their boots at the entryway Obi-wan made his way over to the small kitchen to put the kettle on.

He had been surprised to learn that Mandalorians were also quite fond of tea, although their definition was a little more lax than the Jedi's. It was considered rude to not offer a guest something to eat or drink, it was also considered rude not to accept the offer of food or drink. To refuse to offer food and drink meant you considered someone an enemy, and to refuse food freely given was to suggest you thought the one offering was attempting to poison you.

Poison, he had come to find out, was considered the peak of cowardice to a Mandalorian. Not that it was all that surprising with how much they valued honor, both personally and societally. On the other hand tranquilizers were considered fair game depending on circumstances.

As he waited for the kettle to finish boiling he could feel eyes on the back of his neck, watching him intently. He could tell it was the Mand'alor, but he could not sense the man's motives and it made him feel a little nervous. A sensation like a hug enveloped him and he relaxed into it, knowing that Tarre would step in should anything happen.

"Feel free to sit anywhere you like." He said over his shoulder. "My preference is the green cushion on the floor, but you may feel free to sit on one of the couches if you'd prefer."

Once the kettle clicked off he quickly poured the water into the two cups and waited the recommended thirty seconds for the tea to steep. Setting the cups on a tray he arranged some biscuits on a plate before grabbing some sweet and savory spreads, along with honey, uj'alayi, and cinnamon.

Carrying the tray over to the low table he was surprised to find the man sitting on a dark blue cushion across from his preferred green one. He set the tray on the table between them and made himself comfortable on the cushion.

"I hope you don't mind shig, I'm afraid I forgot to ask the staff for caf since I don't drink it myself." He said conversationally as he added a little bit of honey to his tea and stirred it before taking a sip. Setting it down he took one of the biscuits and slathered it in jogan fruit jam before taking a small bite.

As a Jedi he was taught never to eat before a guest, but Tarre had explicitly stated it was quite the opposite for a Mandalorian. It was considered respectful of a guest to wait for the homeowner, or Clan leader depending on the circumstances, to take the first bite. It was an indication to others in attendance that the meal had well and truly begun, which meant the oath of Peace had been invoked.

It basically amounted to a ceasefire while all those involved brought up an issue they would like to resolve without violence.

Once he'd taken a small bite of the biscuit the man across from him added cinnamon and a little uj'alayi to their own cup. Once they had the desired taste, which required quite a lot of cinnamon apparently, they slathered a biscuit in the chili jam and set it on their own plate.

"You're not what I expected." They said after a moment of silence.

Obi-wan smiled. "Do I want to know what you expected?"

The man let out a snort of amusement. "I expected you to be like that arrogant bastard Dooku."

Obi-wan inhaled some of the shig and promptly began to cough up a lung in surprise. A large hand thumped against his back and he looked up through teary eyes to see Fett grimacing as they attempted to help him clear his lungs.

"M-my apolo-gies." He said, waving the man off. "I'll be fine in a," he coughed once more, "a moment." Once he had enough wherewithal to use the Force to clear his lungs, rather than sit there hacking like a dummy.

"I also thought…" the man continued, "that you'd be older."

Obi-wan did not pout, and anyone who said so was a liar. "I'm legally considered an adult in this sector, I'll have you know. And my Ba'ji is arranging a verd'goten for me once my bracers are completed."

"Beskar?" Fett asked, the area around their eyes tight as they restrained themselves from saying more.

"Attuned beskar, yes. Beskar that came from the vault here in the Inner Sanctuary." Which meant that by all rights it belonged to him. "My Ba'ji insisted on them, reminding me that I am the voice of Manda and as such I should follow the Resol'nare as closely as I am able to." Rubbing the back of his neck he let out a sigh. "Listen, I know that you aren't happy with the fact that I am a Jetii, but there is nothing that can be done about it. I will not abandon my entire family over a small few who made a mistake."

Fett slammed his hand down on the table, bristling. "An attempted massacre is not a simple mistake!" They hissed through gritted teeth.

"No, it was a tragedy. But not one that I was personally part of. Would you really blame me for the crimes of someone I've never met?" He sat up straighter as the air began to swell with power around him.

His eyes went wide as Manda loomed over Fett, unseen by the man across from him.

"Tell me, my Mand'alor, would you kill a babe in their crib because a being who shared the same beliefs murdered your vode? If you continue down this path then it will no longer be vengeance- it will be madness." Once again he was unable to move as Manda spoke through his body.

Across from him Fett's eyes went wide as their face paled. Hands shaking they raised one to their chest and bowed their head. "Manda." They whispered.

"Hear me, Jango of Clan Fett, heir of Clan Mereel, true Mand'alor- if you do not cherish what you have now and instead chase what you have lost then you will doom our people. Listen to my Speaker, they are wise beyond their years. And know that you will always have my protection and blessing."

With a rush of power it felt as if all the air had been sucked out of the room. Gasping for breath he was surprised to find himself blinking up at Fett, who had rushed forward to grab him so he didn't hit his head on the table when he collapsed.

Staring up into a handsome face with intense amber eyes he flushed in embarrassment.

This was a terrible time to realize just how attractive he found the Mand'alor.

"I-I'm okay, thank you." Slowly sitting up on his own he cleared his throat and tried to calm his racing heart.

"No debt." Fett said, watching him carefully before letting out a heavy sigh, one hand coming up to scratch at dark curls. "Okay, okay. I get it. If Manda themselves has declared it then it will be so. Consider my vengeance against the Jetiise dropped." Their eyes flashed with a spark of fire. "But if I ever see Dooku in person then all bets are off."

Obi-wan swallowed hard and made a mental note to warn both the Council and his Grandmaster, in person if at all possible. "Understandable. I will relay your declaration to the Jetiise."

Letting out another sigh Fett sat back, crossing their legs in front of them. "There's other things we have to talk about. Like what to do about the false Mand'alor, Vizsla."

"Ah, yes, about that. I think I may have a solution, but you may not like it much." He said hesitantly.

Fett stared at him. "What kind of solution?"

"The kind where my Heir declares them all oathbreakers and exiles them from the Clan." Tarre said as they materialized nearby.

"What the fuck!?"

"Ah, Mand'alor Fett, might I introduce the ghost of Mand'alor Tarre Vizsla- Manda's previous Speaker?"

"I must still be tripping on spice." The man said amongst a slew of very creative curses.

"Fortunately for our people you are not." Tarre said with some amusement. "Now, shall we talk, Alor to Alor?"

Fett eyed them both before letting out a near hysterical laugh. "Yeah, why the fuck not?"

By the force this story is so good in concept and execution.
Thank you for the chapter! :3
(^ν^)

Chapter 4
AN: This is the chapter with the animal deaths.

Chapter 4

"If you do this, you realize that you will be considered a full and legal adult under all Mandalorian laws?" Master Jinn's voice was quiet and carefully devoid of judgment, for which Obi-wan was grateful.

Ever since his master's apology the two of them had become much closer than before. He hadn't realized that their relationship had been so askew until they started working from the same page. Which was unfortunate for the Jedi Council considering it was a page out of a completely different book entirely.

"Yes, Master, I know. Ba'ji Vizsla made it clear that I had to pass a Verd'goten if I wanted the people of Mandalore to take me seriously," he grimaced, "well, more seriously than they already do." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "The Mand'alor also said it was for the best if we want the plan to work."

Master Jinn folded his arms into his sleeves and Obi-wan had to hide a grin. Ever since he'd started wearing the more traditional Mandalorian styled clothing he'd begun to realize the fun little quirks that came with growing up in Jedi tunics. One of which was hiding your hands whenever you felt anxious or embarrassed.

"I'll be fine, Master. It's only a simple hunting mission. Children do this as young as fourteen here. Need I remind you that I survived on a literal battlefield for months at twelve? I doubt this will be much of a challenge."

The silence and wave of grief stricken regret that met his statement made him pause, his hand hovering over the next item to go into his pack. He turned to look back at his master and felt his own wave of regret in return.

"Master, I- I'm sorry." He said quietly. "I didn't mean it that way." Looking away for a moment he let out a sigh. "I think maybe, if Melidana herself had not interfered, I would have-"

"Don't, Obi-wan." Master Jinn said quietly, his tone firm. "Do not lie to me and more importantly do not lie to yourself." Surprised he looked up into his master's warm, sad, eyes. "Even if you had not been called by a spirit I know you would have still chosen to stay behind." There was no condemnation in his voice, only frustrated fondness. "You have an endless capacity for kindness, Obi-wan, and although you need to learn how to temper it with wisdom it is certainly not a flaw." His master let out a long sigh and chuckled. "I only wish that our circumstances had been a lot less dire so we'd have had time to talk things out properly."

Obi-wan let his packing and went to his master's side. Before this trip to Mandalore he would have hesitated, would have questioned if what he was about to do would be welcome or not. But now? Now when he went to his master's side he knew that his hug would be welcomed with open arms.

Master Jinn chuckled above him, ruffling his hair. "With how easily you get into trouble is it any wonder that I worry?"

Obi-wan snorted as he pulled away. "No, it isn't. But whether I stay or go it seems that trouble will find me regardless." He finished packing quickly and double checked that he had everything he needed. He shouldered his pack and looked up at his master. "Shall we? I don't want to keep the Mand'alor waiting."

Normally it was up to the Alor of a Clan or a close relative, more often than not a parent, to see one off on their Verd'goten. But in this case both his Alor and buir were the same being- a ghost who could not leave their place of rest. So instead of trying to complicate matters they decided it was best if he was considered an orphan. As such Mand'alor Fett had taken it upon themselves to see him off. Since the only other person he could have turned to as an orphan of a Clan was the Clan Armorer. Who would currently be all the way on Concordia and under the watchful eye of Death Watch enthusiasts.

No thank you.

Mand'alor Fett stood with their helmet clipped to their belt as they spoke with another of the survivors, a man named Silas. They were only a few years older than the Mand'alor and seemed disinclined to leave Fett's side for long. Apparently the two of them were about as close as siblings and the Mand'alor had recently invited the man into their Clan.

He'd found it a little odd at first, that they'd taken the name Silas Mereel instead of Silas Fett. But as with all things Ba'ji Vizsla had an explanation.

When a child was adopted they were given the choice to keep their former Clan or Family name as a way to honor their heritage. It was never remarked upon by others as it was a deeply personal choice, which stemmed from the concept of Cin Vhetin. A white field, a blank slate, a new beginning where ones life before was forgotten to make room for new growth. Jango Fett was the child of Jaster Mereel, which made them the Head of the Mereel Clan rather than the Fett Clan.

"Speaker Kenobi, y-you're early." The man beside the Mand'alor said quietly, giving him a nervous smile.

Obi-wan smiled softly in return, knowing how anxious Silas could be. "Since I was already finished packing I thought it would be best not to waste time." He looked up at Fett. "Mand'alor. I am ready to undergo my Verd'goten."

The man watched him quietly for a moment before nodding. "There's a ship set to take you to the location of your trial. During this trial you will be acting as a proper mando'ad, which means your lightsaber must be left behind for the duration. Your trial is to hike into the woodlands of Veskurya, providing for yourself for three days, and then making it back to the shuttle." Turning to the man next to him Mand'alor Fett made a 'gimmie' motion. Silas quickly handed over the wrapped object they'd been holding. "This is a traditional beskad. It's a loan from the armory for this trial."

Obi-wan didn't hesitate. He knelt before the Mand'alor and took the wrapped blade. "I am honored, Alor. I will hand the blade back upon my return, whether I succeed my Verd'goten or not."

It had been talked about beforehand between himself, Ba'ji Vizsla, and Alor Fett. A lightsaber, while his primary weapon and a symbol of his connection to the Order, would be seen by many Mandalorians as a kind of cheat. Especially those with Death Watch leanings. So, to make it seem more fair and traditional, he would have to leave his lightsaber behind. Thankfully Ba'ji Vizsla had a lot off good tips and katas for beskad training and Obi-wan had been practicing for over two weeks now. On top of that he was allowed to bring both a survival knife and a blaster.

It had surprised Fett when he'd easily agreed to those terms. The man asking him if he'd ever even fired a blaster before. His quick explanation that all Jedi got at least some training in the use of blasters seemed to mollify their concerns, at least for the time being.

"Are you certain you don't want to look for armor before you leave for your trial?" The Mand'alor asked him.

This too had already been decided on ahead of time.

"No, Alor. I will not wear armor I have not earned." It was a traditional response and just as easily accepted.
"Then go, with my blessing and the blessing of Manda. May your trial be successful and you return to us as a proper warrior."

Standing he unwrapped the blade and marveled at its make. Unlike common swords this beskar blade was straight, rather than curved. It had belonged to Tarre and kept safely in the Inner Sanctuary's personal armory. The sheath it came with was meant to attach to a Jedi made belt, which he wore over the Mandalorian styled tunics. In exchange he wrapped his lightsaber in the cloth and handed it to the Mand'alor.

He could see a faint tremble of the man's hand and looked up into their face with understanding. "My lightsaber is in your care." He said, switching to Basic.

The man nodded and turned towards Master Jinn. "From my understanding a lightsaber is the like bes'karta of our armor. It houses a piece of the soul. I am entrusting it to you, Jetii Ba'ji Jinn."

Master Jinn bowed and accepted his lightsaber with a smile. "I will guard it well until Speaker Kenobi returns."
And with that the little formal ceremony was complete.

As he was turning to go he heard Mand'alor Fett call out to him. "Kenobi. Keep your eyes open out there, and come back safely."

"I will, Alor. May we meet again soon."

All things considered this trial was not actually all that difficult. At least here he was not being hunted and shot at by beings larger than himself while trying to protect those much smaller than himself from illness, starvation, and death.

If anything being out in the surviving wilds of Manda'yaim made him feel more in touch with the planet itself. Outside the edges of his senses he could feel Manda watching him but he knew that the spirit would not interfere. This was a trial he had to get through on his own.

Hunting and fishing were easy when one had the force. But while Obi-wan did hunt a few fish he decided it was best to survive as long a he could without disturbing the forest. Maybe on the last day he would hunt something larger to bring back, something that would undeniably prove his worth.

The first day passed quickly without incident. By night he'd found a perfect little nook in the hollowed out section of a massive tree, large enough for him to stretch out to sleep if he so wanted.

After preparing and cooking the fish over a small banked fire he pulled his cloak around himself and tucked himself into the trunk of the tree for a good night's rest.

Come morning the coals of his fire were still burning enough to build his fire back up again for breakfast.

He could have stayed in the hollow of the tree all day if he wished, staying in place to not waste energy was a part of survival after all, but something in the Force called to him. Obi-wan had learned never to doubt these feelings he had. So after carefully covering the fire so it wouldn't spread he let himself fall into the Force and followed its whispers deeper into the forest.

By mid-day he was starting to think the Force was playing with him. He wasn't lost or anything such as that, it was only that the Force kept leading him off in odd directions, sometimes doubling back on where he'd already been.

Right when he was about to call it quits, considering that maybe the forest just had an odd way about it that messed with his ability to sense the Force, he heard a loud bark nearby accompanied by a snarl.

Getting as low as he could tot he ground he snuck closer to the noise as the Force urged him onward.

What he came upon was a fierce battle between a shatual, a common larger grazing animal that frequented Mandalore's forests, and a small predator with six legs and a whiplike tail. He'd heard of the animal known as a strill before. They were a common predator on Mandalore and considered good hunting companions. Apparently they were quite adept at hunting shatual and yet something seemed wrong. The strill was limping and looked emaciated. Through the Force he could tell that it was suffering some kind of wasting illness.

Without realizing what he was doing Obi-wan found himself gripping the hilt of the beskad. He'd been planning on hunting a shatual on the last day, so he could take it back to the shuttle with him, but it looked like he would be hunting one now.

Using the Force to hide his presence he crept forward until he was close enough to the warring animals to attack. With a Force assisted jump he launched himself at the shatual, cutting deep into its neck with the beskar blade.

The creature let out a gurgling cry and kicked out at him, not realizing that it was already dead. It fell to the ground a moment later, lifes blood pooling beneath it.

Obi-wan placed a hand on its flank and closed his eyes. "You are one with the Force now."

Hearing a snuffling noise he turned toward the strill and smiled. Crouching down he held out his hand and called to the creature in the Force. 'Safe, friend.' He sent it. Over and over, slowly coaxing it closer until it was snuffling at his hand and letting out curious grumbles.

"Hello there." With the Force he tried to see what was wrong with the creature and flinched when he found that they were weeks, if not days, away from succumbing to their illness. With his presence so entangled in theirs he could feel the creature's intelligence and understood suddenly that it, they, knew they were dying. The only reason they were still trying to hunt was because they had a very young pup who needed them.

But the pain they were in was great, and this shatual was their latest in a string of poor hunts.

He could sense their exhaustion and tears came to his eyes as he gently pat their head. "Where is your pup?"

The strill grumbled defensively and he knew he had to tread carefully. Some things were just too strong to override in an animal for long. He sent along his desire to help, to save the pup and make sure they were okay. Something of his intentions must have made sense to the animal as it yipped and licked at his face before limping toward the edge of the clearing.

Obi-wan stood and looked down at the shatual. It would take some time but now was better than later. "Wait a moment." He told the strill as he pulled out his survival knife.

He took only as much of the shautal meat as he needed for himself and the two strills. He also used the beskad to break off both horns and a small amount of rope to tie the broken pieces into a bundle for easier transportation.

He followed the strill into the forest and realized that much of it he had already passed by earlier when following the Force. The reason he had felt so conflicted earlier was because the adult strill had been hunting for prey while the pup was hiding somewhere safe.

Reaching another hollowed out tree the strill crawled inside a large hole. From inside he could hear the small yips of a very young animal and the grumbling of the adult strill. A moment later they came outside with a small black bundle of fur in their mouth, which they gently placed on the ground at Obi-wan's feet.

Kneeling he examined the pup and realized they were, thankfully, already old enough to be weened off of milk. He pulled out the shatual meat and offered some to both parent and child. The pup ate the meat quickly and with a pang he realized that they had been near starvation. If he had not arrived when he did there was a chance the pup would have died along with the parent.

He spent some time playing with the pup, keeping it entertained as the parent lay down nearby to rest. When he noticed the sun setting he realized he had to return to his own camp and rose to leave.

He didn't get more than three steps before something tugged on his pantleg. He looked down at the parent strill, who let out a whine, and felt his heart breaking at the desperation coming off the creature. "I don't know what you want me to do." He told them. "I can't heal you."

The strill let him go and trotted over to their pup, scooping them up, and bringing them back to him. They placed the pup on the ground then nuzzled them before pushing them closer with their nose.

The implication was quite clear.

"I- I can't take your pup with me." He tried to reason.

The strill let out another whine and he could feel the Force around them pulse. This was a decision that would have a lasting impact.

He looked down at the older strill he knew would soon pass away and then at the pup who would probably not survive after their parent's passing.

Obi-wan knew that life could be harsh and that death was a part of that cycle. But he also knew himself. He was a Jedi and, as his master had reminded him earlier, he was kind.

Obi-wan carefully reached out and picked up the pup, cradling them to his chest. "I'm sorry." He said to the parent. "I'll take care of them."

The adult strill laid down on the ground the let out a quiet bark before they rested their head on their front paws.

Obi-wan hesitated a moment before he knelt and reached out to pet the strill's head one last time. "You're a very good parent. Rest now." With a careful application of the Force he put the strill into a deep slumber. Now they would pass away quietly, without pain.

"Come on, Ca'tra, let's head back to camp."

Obi-wan's return to Sundari was met with cheer, not that he was feeling particularly cheerful himself.

His master and the Mand'alor were waiting to greet him when he came off the shuttle and while his master was grinning at the small animal in his arms the Mand'alor was eying him with confusion.

"I've returned, Mand'alor, with proof of my successful hunt." He said, bringing out the shatual horns and holding them up for all to see.

"Welcome home, Speaker Kenobi. I can see that your hunt went well, and you look no worse for wear. You left a child of your clan and you return a full warrior. Your Verd'goten is concluded, from this day forward you are considered an adult of your Clan. May you serve them well." If anyone thought it was strange that Fett had not actually named the Clan he was referring to they didn't say anything. For which Obi-wan was grateful. "Now…" Fett said, eyes falling on the little whining bundle of fluff in his arms, "what in the hell did you bring back with you?" Their tone was more confused than anything and Obi-wan couldn't help chuckling in response.

Carefully Obi-wan shifted the strill pup until they looked less like a fuzzball and more like the six legged creature they were. "This is Ca'tra. Their parent passed away from an illness and left them in my care. They are an odd coloring for a striil. I thought they only came in golds, browns, and tans."

Fett sucked in a breath of surprise and Obi-wan could feel the sudden excitement in the room. "A black striil? And you named them Ca'tra? Kenobi, are you trying to revive every age old legend on Manda'yaim?" They snapped, more exasperated than angry.

"I… didn't know there was a legend about a black striil." He said sheepishly as Ca'tra slobbered on his arm.

"Of course you didn't." Fett said, voice completely devoid of emotion.

Master Jinn was grinning ear to ear as he stepped forward. "Obi-wan, did you bring home an infant animal?" It was obvious that his master wanted to hold them so he carefully handed them over.

It was almost hilarious how the Mandalorians nearby all seemed to waver between awe and confusion as the dignified Jedi Master allowed the small animal to slobber all over him as he cooed with joy.

"I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep them, I know nothing about striile, and being a part of the Order means I won't have time to train them properly. I was hoping to find someone to adopt them, someone who would keep the oath I swore to their parent." He said quietly to Fett as his master asked Silas about strills and their eating habits.

Mand'alor Fett was quiet for a long time before their eyes hardened with determination. "I'll take them." They said, just as quietly. "Jaster… my buir once promised me that when things simmered down, and if I could prove that I'd be a good caretaker, that I'd be allowed to adopt a striil." There was a profound sense of grief mixed with joy as they eyed the little black creature. "Ca'tra will have a good home with me."

Obi-wan smiled and reached over to place his hand on the man's arm. "Thank you."

Fett looked down at him and shook their head. "No debt." The fact that they didn't move away from his hand was a vast improvement on their first meeting and Obi-wan couldn't help but to smile.

"Oh, right!" Stepping away he untied the beskad from his waist and held it out to the Mand'alor with both hands. "This blade served me well during my trial. I am returning it to you, with gratitude."

Fett grinned at him and with an open palm pushed the offered blade back towards his chest. "Consider it a gift for completing your Verd'goten. Wear it with honor, and may it serve you well in the future."

Even knowing that this would happen ahead of time he still felt a sort of giddy glee at being able to keep the beautiful blade.

"I will."

Another week flew by and Obi-wan was feeling anxious. His bracers had finally been completed and were ready to be presented to him. After this he would no longer need to remain on Mandalore. Their mission would be over.

"Don't fret, Padawan mine, we will return as often as we can between missions. You still have much to learn from Master Vizsla and I am curious to see if I finally can wear Mand'alor Fett down. Allowing the Agricorps on Mandalore would go a long way to both revitalizing the planet and building bridges between our peoples."

Obi-wan let out a snort of amusement. While Fett and he got along quite well the Mand'alor was still wary around Master Jinn, and often couldn't remain in his presence too long before he had some 'urgent matter' to deal with. Thankfully Master Jinn didn't try to press the issue.

"I'm worried about what the Council will say when they realize what I've done. Today is going to be all over the holonet." Just thinking about it had him chewing on his lips with nervousness.

"You let me handle the Council. While Mandalorians may consider you a legal adult you are still only a Padawan of the Order. Which means that you are my responsibility." The man paused for a moment before squaring his shoulders and becoming more serious. "The longer we have remained on Mandalore the more I have come to realize what the Force has been telling me for some time. I've ignored it for far too long but now I am beginning to glimpse this future that Master Vizsla has been warning us about. The Force has become more clear. I would be a fool not to listen."

Obi-wan felt warmth pool in his chest as his anxiety fell away. But there was still one last worry to think about. "What if they kick me out of the Order?" He'd already left once and been kicked out another time. What was to say that it wouldn't be more permanent this time?

"Padawan, what is more important? Following the will of the Council? Or the will of the Force?"

He hesitated, but only for a moment. "The will of the Force, master."

Master Jinn nodded. "I've been in contact with some other Masters who feel much the same. They have each agreed that if the Council were to send us out of the Coruscant Temple then both the Green Jedi of Corellia and the Altisian Jedi of Bespin will take us in."

Obi-wan knew his eyes had gone wide in his face. "Th-they will?"

"Yes, Padawan. While the Coruscant Temple is certainly the largest of the Order they are not the only ones who follow the will of the Force."

Obi-wan let out a whoosh of air. "I… why didn't I ever think of that?" He asked, clutching at his hair in mild distress.

Master Jinn pulled him into a firm hug. "Because it is our home. The only home we have ever known. Leaving it behind will seem like a near impossible decision but it is one that you have already made before for the good of others. Only this time you will not be making that decision alone."

He relaxed into his master's hold and just let himself exist in the warm space that was his master's presence for a long moment before pulling away. "If the Council sees reason then we won't have to make a decision."

Master Jinn nodded. "We can only hope that they do, and wait on the Force to guide us. Now, you must finish getting ready. You have a very important ceremony to go to and you don't want to look like you've just rolled out of bed."

Obi-wan rolled his eyes, an expression he never thought he'd be able to get away with before but now it only made his master chuckle at him. "I'm going, Master, I'm going."

Pacing back and forth in the small waiting area off the side of the throne room Obi-wan tried to release all of his anxiety into the Force. In a matter of minutes he would be going out in front of a crowd of reporters and journalists from across the Mandalore Sector. On top of that there were holocams placed around the room set to both broadcast and record.

'You will be fine, young one.' A gentle whisper from his Ba'ji made him stop and take a deep breath.

"I know, Ba'ji, but I can't help being nervous. What if something goes wrong?" He muttered under his breath, knowing that Ba'ji Vizsla could still hear him. The more time he spent in the Temple the stronger his Ba'ji's presence had become. Almost as if tying themselves to Obi-wan made their connection to the world of the living stronger.

'I have every faith that you will handle anything that comes your way.' There was the sensation of something rustling through his hair and he smiled.

"Thank you, Ba'ji."

The door to the throne room opened and he could hear the din beyond. The guard placed their hand on their chest plate and bowed their head toward him. "They are ready for you now, Speaker Kenobi."

Obi-wan inhaled, held it for a second, then exhaled. "I am ready." He told the guard as he made his way out into the throne room of the Sundari palace.

Walking slowly down an aisle set out between two groups, the Clan Chiefs on one side and the press on the other, he nodded politely to the guards who stood between him and those who had come to witness the day's event.

Stopping ten feet before the throne he looked up at Mand'alor Fett, who was hiding their discomfort well. Like the first time they'd met he placed his four fingers against his forehead then pressed his open palm over his heart. "My name is Obi-wan Kenobi, and I speak with the voice of Manda. As you have called me, so I have come."

Fett stood from the throne and made their way down the stairs, so that they could stand as equals. "I, Mand'alor Jango Fett of Clan Mereel, welcome Speaker Kenobi to Manda'yaim." They looked out over the crowd. "All of Manda'yaim will bear witness today of two major events. The first, is that we welcome Kenobi as a child of Manda and a citizen of Manda'yaim. They recently underwent their Verd'goten and are now considered an adult of their Clan." Motioning to someone off the side Obi-wan smiled with surprise when he realized it was Myles carrying the heavy looking case.

They stepped forward and knelt, presenting Fett with the case. Opening the lid in full view of those present a loud gasp and mutterings could be heard as everyone took in the contents. Inside were a pair of delicately detailed bracers with slots that were designed to fit his kyber crystals perfectly should he ever lose his lightsaber and require a safe place to put them.

"These were made by the Temple Armorer, may you wear them well and with honor." Picking up the first Fett held it out and gave him a small nod. Obi-wan held out his arm and marveled at how well the first one fit, and how the beskar seemed to hum pleasantly in the Force. After the second was clasped around his other arm he turned and held them up for all to see.

The cheering was a little much but he understood that Mandalorians were an energetic bunch that always lived in the moment. So a little bit of levity was expected.

"The second, is the adoption of Obi-wan Kenobi into one of our most ancient Clans."

Anticipation and excitement rose as the whispering began to pick up again. There were many Clans that could be considered ancient, Fett being one of them.

"Obi-wan Kenobi, do you accept the offer of your new buir to become part of their Clan?"

This was it. After this he would forever be tied to Mandalore and its people. "Yes."

"As your buir currently cannot be here to accept you into their Clan I will stand in their place." Fett looked out over the crowd for a moment, silencing the much louder whispers. "I welcome you to Clan Vizsla, child of Tarre Vizsla, Speaker of Manda and Mand'alor the Star Touched."

The saying 'you could hear a pin drop' would have been accurate in the terrible silence that followed.

Then everything erupted into sound.

Chapter 5
Chapter 5

The noise that erupted in the throne room was so loud that Obi-wan wondered how the windows weren't rattling in their frames. The press were practically climbing over one another to ask questions while on the other side of the aisle most of the Clan Chiefs were bellowing out denials.

When he looked at Fett he could see the tightness in their face, even as their eyes sparked with inner fire and determination.

It took the Mand'alor letting out a shrill whistle meant to be heard cross entire battlefields for the noise to finally die down. "Unless someone has an actual legal objection- you will remain silent!" They yelled in a commanding tone.

"I have a legal objection!" Someone from the Clan side snapped, shoving their way to the front of the crowd. "Tarre Vizsla can't legally adopt anyone into their clan- they're dead." The other chiefs nearby let out noises of agreement.

If Obi-wan hadn't been looking for it, if he hadn't already known, he would have missed the slightly triumphant uptick of Jango's lips. "They can if it was part of their last Will." They said easily.

"What?" Snapped another of the Chiefs, the surprise evident in their tone.

Fett looked at him and motioned that he should proceed just as they planned. Obi-wan nodded politely to the Mand'alor before pulling out the physical document he had stored in his tunics.

"This is the Will of Tarre Vizsla. It was locked in the vault of the Inner Sanctuary for the next Speaker to find. Namely, myself. This document states Tarre's intention for the next Speaker to be adopted into their Clan as their chosen heir." He informed the crowd simply, doing his best not to show any of the inner anxiety he was actually feeling. "The document was made public by Clan Vencuyanii as of this morning, you may find it in the historical archives under Speaker Tarre's section." He didn't waver, even as he felt the incredulity in the room rise.

"Being adopted by a former Clan Chief doesn't make you the heir of that Clan." Someone else amongst the chiefs stated. "You would need to be adopted by the current chief."

Obi-wan took a deep breath to calm himself. This was it. He was about to earn himself a lot of enemies. "Not if the current chief of the Vizsla Clan is declared a Dar'manda oath breaker and executed for crimes against the collective children of Manda."

This declaration rose above the din and silenced the crowd once more.

"In fact- all those who committed acts of violent terrorism against the children of Manda while following the False Mand'alor are, at this moment onward, declared Dar'manda."

"Who are you to declare that?" Someone from the Clan Chief side snarled angrily. "Are we just going to let some Jetii strut into the palace and destroy an entire Clan lineage?"

Obi-wan could feel their ire, their hatred, and realized that they must be either a member of Kyr'tsad or a sympathizer. Squaring his shoulders he turned towards them and raised his head high. He could feel Ba'ji Vizsla's presence next to him, giving him strength. He lifted the pendant he'd received from the Temple and held it up. "I am the voice of Manda, or do you wish to claim that I am not Manda's chosen Speaker?"

They hesitated for a moment before their hatred and anger took over. "No one's seen that thing for hundreds of years! Who's to say it's not fake?"

Behind him the Mand'alor let out a snarl as their own anger rose. "I have been to Manda's Temple with Speaker Kenobi. I have been in the Inner Sanctuary and any Temple Guardian can confirm it!" The man had an aura that screamed 'how dare you' and the desire to fight.

Reaching towards Jango he placed his hand against the man's arm to calm them. Jango startled slightly before mentally taking a step back. This was not their fight.

With his head held high he walked towards the Clan Chiefs with as much serenity and dignity as he could muster. By the time he was standing in front of the Chief the room had grown quiet except for the mutterings of the press. Solemnly he lifted the pendant from around his neck and held it out to them. "If you believe this is only a bauble and not an artifact touched by Manda's many Speakers then by all means- take it."

There was a feeling much like holding ones breath as the Chief stared down at the pendant in his hand. A sense of pride and dread warred within them before the pride won out. Gritting their teeth they went to take the pendant but stopped, their hand spasming oddly.

Obi-wan waited there, expression one of Jedi serenity. He did not gloat or chide the Chief, just patiently waited to see how they would respond.

They tried once more and their hand got a little closer before they hissed and pulled it away as if burned. The truth of the matter took a moment to sink in but once it did the Chief's pride was all but replaced by grudging acceptance and confused awe. "I can't." They said firmly.

One of the other Chiefs let out a scoff. "It must be some Jetiise trick. Let me do it." After shouldering the first Chief out of the way they reached forward as if to snatch the object from his hand. As with the first Chief their hand stopped a hands width from the singing pendant. "I- what trickery is this?"

Obi-wan wanted to sigh in exasperation but kept himself carefully calm. Acting out now would just further provoke the pride of the Chiefs and he didn't want to make the matter worse.

Before he could try to calmly explain things a figure came forward and punched the two Chiefs in the back of the head. Letting out a loud ringing as beskar gauntlets met beskar helmets. Both let out indignant sounds and rounded on their attacker, only to freeze with uncertainty.

The new figure was in plated armor painted dark green and deep blue with a thick leather apron hanging from their waist. Well worn tools hung from their belt and they seemed to project an air of self confidence that felt well earned. Slowly, giving off a sense of reverence, they reached out and cupped his hand while leaning closer to take a look at the pendant. After a moment they tilted their helmet's visor up and he could feel their eyes upon him. "I am Chief Bes'laar, and I welcome Speaker Kenobi home to Manda'yaim. I have born witness to the adoption of Obi-wan Kenobi into the Vizsla Clan as Tarre Vizsla's heir and accept their appointment as interim Chief." Letting go of his hand they stepped back and thumped their fist against their chest, bowing their head respectfully.

Obi-wan swallowed hard. Bes'laar. A clan made up almost entirely of Beskar smiths and Armorers. They held one of the most important positions in Mandalorian society… and they had just given him one of the best endorsements he could have ever asked for. Turning to look at the two Chiefs who had spoken against him he quirked a brow. "Are there any more objections or accusations?"

No one spoke for a long moment. Then the second of the Chiefs to accuse him of being a fake stepped forward and copied the salute of Chief Bes'laar. "I eat my insult, Speaker Kenobi. I will bear witness to your adoption and appointment."
Obi-wan blinked in surprise. He hadn't expected an apology of all things. He smiled. "I accept." There wasn't anything more he could really say. Mandalorians weren't big on words, preferring actions to speak the loudest. Only time would tell if the Chief actually felt any regret or remorse.

With no more objections he returned to the Mand'alor's side. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "As I was saying- from this day onward Tor Vizsla and their lieutenants are declared Dar'manda for their crimes and should be considered highly dangerous individuals. Kyr'tsad are oath breakers who followed a false Mand'alor, a being without honor who has caused harm to the children of Manda." He looked towards Jango, silently handing the reins over to them.

The Mand'alor stepped forward, head held high. "Tor Vizsla and their lieutenants are to be killed on sight. Any other member of Kyr'tsad may come forward and surrender themselves, to be judged for their crimes. If they prove they were an unwilling participant of Kyr'tsad then the punishment will consist of mandatory mind healer sessions and a slow reintegration into society. I don't think it needs to be said but just for the record- no children will be blamed for the crimes of their elders and will come to no harm if they are found."

Obi-wan's eyes scanned the room as Jango spoke, his senses stretched out to catch any strong negative emotions to the declaration. Overall things were going quite well. No one had tried to shoot at them, not yet at least, and most of those gathered just seemed to feel relieved or vindicated that Kyr'tsad were being called out for their monstrous activities. His only real concern were the New Mandalorians who were standing off to the left and watching the proceedings. With them stood Satine Kryze and one of the Duke's aides, an older man named Almec. Neither of them were pleased with what was going on. But he didn't feel any danger from them so he just filed their reactions in the back of his mind and turned his focus back to the Mand'alor.

"For Speaker Kenobi's safety they will remain a ward of Clan Fett and under the Vencuyanii Clan's protection until Kyr'tsad is properly dealt with. But seeing as Speaker Kenobi is still a student of the Jetiise and is not considered an adult by their standards they will stay with their mentor unless duty calls them back here." The man glanced at him, amber eyes full of conflicting emotions. "Speaker Kenobi, do you have anything else to say?"

Obi-wan smiled politely at the room. "If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them one on one. I will remain for an hour or so before I must return to my duties."

Jango inclined their head towards him. "That concludes today's events. Anyone who wants to ask questions must go through one of the Temple Guards for screening first." With a hand sign determined beforehand the Mand'alor motioned for the video feed to be cut.

Obi-wan sagged slightly now that he wasn't being broadcast on every holo-channel in Mandalorian space. He had no doubt that the news would reach Coruscant by the time he was finished answering questions. He was not looking forward to the Council's eventual response.

"You did well, Kenobi." Jango said with a small quirk of his lips, a faint feeling of pride coming off the man as they spoke.
"Well, I'm not so sure about that." He muttered in return, looking towards where the New Mandalorians were filing out of the room as the more traditional Mandalorians clambered to speak with the Temple Guards. Poor Myles, he could sense the irritation already brewing around them.

Jango reached over and placed a hand gingerly on his shoulder. "You did. All that's left is to finalize the changes to the Clan registry then you and Jinn can be on your way." The man frowned. "Listen, if the Jetiise Council gives you any trouble…" they took a deep breath and let it out again. "You're a ward of Clan Fett, you'll always have a place here on Manda'yaim." The man's cheeks darkened in a flush and Obi-wan could sense their embarrassment from a mile off. "Besides, you'll need to come and see how Ca'tra is doing, yeah?"

Obi-wan smiled, his nerves settling at the sincere offer of protection and friendship. He knew that Jango was still wary of the Jedi as a whole but over the course of their planning the two of them had found a lot of common ground. It was quite endearing how they were trying to reassure him, knowing how allergic the man was to showing their emotions. "Thank you Jango, although I do have one simple request. If you'll indulge me of course."

The man blinked and cocked their head slightly. A habit that came from having to emote when covered head to toe in armor.

"My name is Obi-wan, unless you forgot. I'd prefer if you used it." Being called Kenobi made him feel like an initiate all over again.

Jango let out a bark of laughter. "Fine, Obi-wan then." They grinned and clapped him on the shoulder before pulling away. "Looks like they're ready for you, and Jinn is standing by in case you need back-up."

Looking over at the group of armored beings standing by to pester him for information he let out a small sigh. "Duty calls." He said with a faint grimace.

Jango chuckled before turning away, attention caught by one of their personal aides.

Obi-wan plastered a calm smile on his face and made his way over to Myles, who was looking very imposing in their Temple Guard armor. "Well then, who's first?"

It didn't taken them long to finish their tasks on Manda'yaim and say good-bye to all the friends he'd made. Many gifts were shoved into his hands, thoughtful things that were filled with such sincerity he couldn't refuse them. His comm also gained a list of new contacts with promises attached. To call for aid if he ever needed it or just to stay in touch.
Last to speak with him was Jango, who was looking worlds better than they had been when they'd been rescued from the slave ship. No longer were their eyes haunted and skin gaunt. Now they stood with their head held high, flanked by family members. They held their arm out and grinned when he reached out to grasp it in the proper Mandalorian hold.

"You stay out of trouble. If I have to send my ori'ramikade after you to save your scrawny backside I'll never let you live it down." They said with a wide grin.

"How very reassuring." He deadpanned before letting out a chuckle when Jango rolled their eyes. "I'll try to be careful but trouble has a funny way of finding me no matter where I am."

The man frowned slightly. "Hrm, maybe I should send a bodyguard with you, just to watch you and Jinn's backs."

"Please don't, I'll be having a tough enough time meeting with the Jetiise Council after the stunt we pulled. Bringing an ori'ramikad with me to the Jetii'yaim would certainly be cause for alarm." Especially since Jango still had a vendetta against Master Dooku.

Oh, he still had to warn them about that didn't he?

"Fine. But you be sure to call for back-up if and when you need it, hear me? You're Manda's first Speaker in centuries, we can't risk losing you."

Obi-wan nodded solemnly. "I understand. I swear that I will call on the Mando'ade if I'm ever in a tough spot and need assistance. Truth, honor, vision." As he swore he could feel a warm sensation rush down his arm and pass into Jango. It grew warmer for a moment before falling dormant.

Jango seemed to sense something as well as their amber eyes widened but they said nothing about it as they released him.

Turning away from Jango he stopped when he felt the force swell around him, enveloping him like a warm hug. "You did not think I would let you leave without one last lesson, did you my child?" Tarre chuckled, a sensation he could feel in the back of his mind.

Looking to his Master he slowly knelt on the ground in a familiar meditation pose. Qui-gon quirked a brow at him for a moment before an understanding smile crossed his face. The man slipped his arms into his tunic sleeves and settled in place- intent on waiting until the spirits were finished with Obi-wan.

It was a far cry from how their relationship had been before their trip to Manda'yaim.

"What are they doing?" Jango asked quietly, sounding perturbed.

"He is speaking with Master Vizsla." Came Qui-gon's equally quiet answer.

"Close your eyes," Tarre instructed serenely, "and reach out to the force around you."

Following his Master's instruction he let himself fall into a shallow meditation and extended his reach out into the force around him. From where he was sitting he could feel all the Mandalorians, even through their beskar'gam. They were like tiny flashes of vibrant flames, flickering brightly as each emotion passed through them.

"Good. Now reach past them. Let yourself feel. The animals, the plants, the very water in the air- all of it is a part of the Force." Tarre's voice echoed in his mind as he sharpened his focus further, reaching deeper than he had ever thought to go before. "Feel the very presence of the planet itself, and breathe with it. You are one with the Force, it is a part of you and you ar a part of it." Obi-wan took a deep breath and for the first time in a very long time he felt connected to everything and everyone around him. It should have been overwhelming yet strangely it wasn't. He felt at peace. "Do you feel the pulse of the world? Good, now pull it towards you." Taking another deep breath he gently pulled until it felt as if the essence of the world itself was blanketing him in a calm embrace. "Good. Now open your eyes."

When he opened his eyes all hell had broken loose. Qui-gon and Jango were frantically looking around and calling his name while the nearby guards were scrambling in a panic.

"What's going on?" He asked, uncertain if he had spoken out loud or if he was speaking in his mind.

Tarre chuckled. "It is a technique to hide within the presence of a planet. All life gives off energy into the force but only a Speaker can access the deep reservoir within a planet itself. This technique shields not only your physical form but also your force presence. This technique will allow you to hide even from the prying eyes of the most powerful Jedi Masters or Sith Lords. However, it will not work on planets where the Spirit is either dead or opposed to your presence."

"Oh. Thank you Speaker Vizsla for this knowledge and your teachings." He said, bowing deeply in a show of respect though he knew that Tarre was not actually there in person.

"It is a pleasure to teach you, child mine, and I know we will see one another again. There is always more to learn. Now, you may want to let go. You are worrying your Master and Mand'alor Fett."

Standing back up he focused on the feeling of the world around him and just let go. As the sensation of being one with the world left him he felt a little disoriented for a moment, staggering in place as everything became muffled in the force.
"Obi-wan!" Two very different voices called out and he looked between two sets of worried eyes.

"I'm fine, buir- Master Vizsla just had a final lesson for me." He said quickly, reminding himself to speak basic so that Qui-gon would understand.

"And that resulted in your disappearance, how?" Qui-gon asked, a mix of concern and anxiety flooding their bond. "Obi-wan, I couldn't even feel you, even through our bond."

Obi-wan winced slightly. "I didn't know what the technique would do when buir was showing me how to do it. They said that it is something only a Speaker can do and it will help me if I ever need to escape a dangerous situation." Well, not in as many words. But he knew that the technique was for protection since he could feel the intent of the lesson.

"That's some technique, Obi-wan. You disappeared from all our scanners." Jango's voice sounded a little strained and Obi-wan winced a little. He knew that the man was still wary about Jedi and their abilities, even if the two of them had become friends over the course of their planning and training sessions with Tarre.

"I'm sorry, if I had known it would concern everyone I would have warned you first." He said apologetically, rubbing the back of his neck self-consciously.

"Just don't do that again, almost gave Jinn here a heart attack." Jango motioned towards the Jedi Master and received a playfully disgruntled look in response.

"I won't." He promised. "At least, not unless I have to." Because there was always the chance that a situation would require him to use it.

Jango nodded curtly. "Any other surprises before you go?"

Obi-wan was about to speak, to say that they had nothing to worry about, when everyone stiffened suddenly.
"Ob'ika. You are leaving then?" The being of immense power asked, bright eyes blazing as they appeared, surrounded by an aura of protectiveness and concern. Almost like a crechemaster worried for the initiates heading to Illum for their first lightsaber crystals.

"I am. I must return to the Jetii'yaim of Coruscanta. The Jetii'alore must know about the change of power on Manda'yaim and that you don't want the Republic interfering any longer." He wasn't sure how that talk was going to go, especially once the Council found out he'd placed himself squarely in the middle of Mandalorian politics. He glanced over his shoulder at his Master and felt some of his anxiety melt away. At least this time when he went before the Council it would be with his Master firmly at his back.

"A warrior must always face the consequences of their actions." The Spirit said with a knowing glint in their eyes. Then they went down on one knee so they were closer to his own height and leaned forward to press their helmeted forehead to his. "Remember that you go with my blessing under the watchful eyes of the Ka'ra. You are wanted, and you will always have a home here to return to."

Obi-wan felt his throat tighten with emotion as tears prickled at the edges of his eyes. For so long he had felt alone, alienated, and adrift. It was a bit overwhelming to suddenly feel so accepted. "I accept debt." He whispered, knowing that mere words could not express his gratitude.

"There is no debt between family, Ob'ika. You are one of my children now, and I look out for my children. If you ever need help on Coruscanta just remember that you are my Speaker, any Mando'ad who claims to keep me in their soul will know you and aid you without hesitation." The Spirit grinned and released him. "You are a powerful warrior but no warrior, no matter how great, can stand alone." Manda stood and stepped back. "Safe travels, Ob'ika, may we meet again."

Obi-wan smiled and pressed his fist over his heart before bowing to the great spirit. "May we meet again."
Once Manda's presence finally faded he turned back to Jango and grinned. "Now we can go."

The man chuckled and shook his head. "Stay safe, Obi-wan. Maybe we'll meet again."

"I certainly hope so, Jango. May the Ka'ra guide your steps."

And with that final parting he and Qui-gon finally boarded the shuttle.

It was time to return to the Temple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back