• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

No future without a past (Gamer fic)

Chapter 6
Disregarding some people's dislike for my choice, I bring you another chapter.

Sky, Warbird trainer
HP: 225/225 (100%)
SP: 294/300 (98%)

It was all gibberish to him. But … Why did he feel some sort of deja-vu?

Sky - if that was her name - hadn't seemed to notice the things appearing, so either they were normal or only he could see them.

He couldn't really make sense of it yet though, maybe he was just seeing things. When she came back, he'd see if that writing was correct and if it was, then… Well, he'd figure something out.

The girl from before - he'd tentatively call her Sky for now - came back just a bit later, followed by someone else as she'd promised. He was a portly man, his eyes covered by thick-lensed glasses, and everything else covered by a long, white beard. His off-green coat, stained by various oils and other fluids, dragged along the ground.

"Welcome back to the waking world, young man!" Exclaimed jovially the old man. "Now, would it be alright with you if I asked a few questions?" He settled on the chair next to the desk. "I'll be more than glad to give you any answers you need, of course."

He eyed the old man, his gaze flicking up for a moment.

Mimic, Relic hunter
HP: 275/275 (100%)
SP: 187/200 (93%)

"Sure, I guess?" He tentatively agreed. "I'm not sure how much I could tell you, though..." he frowned. "I tried to remember earlier, but my head started hurting like mad."

The old man's wrinkles deepened as he stroked his beard. "It might be a concussion. It's not surprising, considering you had received a severe blow to your temple before we found you."

Before the old man - Mimic? - could continue, he interrupted him. "Wait, where did you find me? Actually no, before that, who are you people?"
A beat passed.

"Well, this is embarrassing," muttered Mimic. "I suppose that introductions are in order, after all." He walked up to the bedridden lad, and shook his hand. "Everyone calls me Mimic. I am a relic hunter by trade, but I dabble in many fields of science as well."

He tried to give a good shake, but with how weak he felt it probably was closer to a baby's grip. Still, he didn't let it deter him from answering. "It's nice to meet you, Mimic. I… would tell you my name, but y'know. Can't remember." He finished with a weak grin.

Mimic's handshake faltered. "Er, yes, that is… quite unfortunate."

Seeing the old man struggle to continue the conversation, Sky butted in. "My name is Sky!"

All the eyes were now on her, but she continued on. "I'm a warbird trainer, and we found you washed up on the beach."

The lad slowly blinked. "Huh."

"Well then!" Mimic clapped his hands together. "Now that introductions are over with, let us go back to what we were saying before."

On seeing the yet-unnamed lad nod, Mimic pressed on. "Now, where we found you. As Sky said, you washed up on the nearby beach a few days ago. You were in quite poor condition, I must say, but you should be back on your feet within another week or so."

"That's reassuring." He sighed. "But I have another question."

"Go right ahead, what is it?"

He motioned towards the bowl on the bedside table. "Can I get some help with that? I'm really hungry."

###​

Sky was very kind in helping him eat, as while he could hold a spoon, he still didn't have a steady grip.

They chatted for a while, and once his lack of a name got too bothersome, he settled on naming himself Trevor. It felt… natural.

Apparently he'd found himself in Scuttle Town, a small port town in the southern end of Sequin Land. Those names meant nothing to Trevor, but at least it was a starting point.

It had been Sky, along with a friend of hers called Bolo, who found him. Mimic had been reluctant to share the details, but after some coaxing he revealed that Trevor was lucky to be still alive: his midsection was almost torn open, one of his legs had a piece of wood piercing straight through it, and his head had been bleeding severely.

Trevor's head began to hurt again after getting that bombshell dropped on him, thus he was left to rest.

###​

By the time that Trevor's headache regressed, the sun was already setting. He gave an annoyed sigh, but held back from moving.

"I probably got caught in a shipwreck or something… not that thinking about it will help." He clenched a hand, blankly looking at it. "I'm alive, so I can't complain. Might as well look to the future-" He snorted.

"Yeah, can't even think that with a straight face. Too corny."

While Trevor was guffawing at his own stupidity, a sound attracted his attention. It was not unlike a bell, ringing in one-second intervals. It was just the lightest bit annoying, but as soon as Trevor paid attention to it, it stopped.

In its stead, text appeared in front of his vision.

[Update complete.
-Parameters have changed
-System rebalanced
-'Status', 'Skill, 'Inventory', 'Quest' systems active.]

Trevor slowly blinked, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. It was… something alright.

He pointedly decided to avoid thinking about the whole 'update' business for the moment, attempting to concentrate on another part of it for the moment.

"Wait, does this have something to do with the stuff floating over Sky and Mimic's heads?" He wondered. "It did look like a 'status', so maybe I have one too?"

Apparently his thoughts were enough for whatever was directing… whatever that was, as the text in front of him changed.

Trevor, N/A
HP: 17/25 (68%)
SP: 22/25 (88%)

Life: 1
Stamina: 1
Body: 1
Mind: 1

A new wave of pain lanced through Trevor's skull, unfamiliar thoughts forcing themselves into his head.

"...a hospital, maybe? ...your STR increased by 1… Analyze… Gamer system… Level up…"

He remembered. How he woke up in Mimic's home the first time, how he figured out the Game from scratch, how it worked… though, it was different now. Whoever was in charge had probably decided to change it. For what reason he didn't know, but it seemed simpler than before.

There were still several fuzzy memories, though. They'd come in time, he assumed. For now, he would focus on the matter at hand.

Skill restored: Analysis
Provides information about the target depending on the user's knowledge of the subject.
Higher levels will provide additional details.

The feeling of gaining a skill was just as he remembered it: not painful, but it was an interesting experience to feel his own mind gain a new 'trigger'. All of a sudden, he would find himself able to do something new even if he had only an inkling about it.

He immediately used his new ability on his 'Status'.

Status screen
A non-physical construct visible only to you. Shows your health, stamina, physical condition, and mental capabilities in numbers.

He continued, going over the other things in the list. Better to leave no stone unturned.

Name tag
The name that a certain person is most commonly referred to as. You chose the name Trevor yourself.

Title tag
What people see you as. As of now, you're an unknown.

HP gauge
A numerical approximation of your physical wellbeing. You are currently hurt. Maximum HP increases through the Life statistic.

SP gauge
A numerical approximation of your stamina. You are slightly fatigued. Maximum SP increases through the Stamina statistic.

Life
The stat that indicates one's resistance to damage. You are very brittle.

Stamina
The stat that indicates one's resistance. You get tired very easily.

Body
The stat that indicates your physical prowess. You are very weak.

Mind
The stat that indicates your mental acuity. You are not very bright.

He narrowed his eyes at that one, but saw no use in retorting. He was returned to the absolute basics, so all he could do was move forward.

Status points
They are used to increase other stats. Maybe you can get some by training?

"Well ain't that just swell." He sighed. "Even the system isn't being straightforward anymore. Whatever, I suppose I'll just have to figure it out when I'm not bedridden anymore."

Before he could test out the other functions, somebody knocked at the door.

"Come in?" He tentatively said, closing the screens. He could take care of them later.

The door opened, and Mimic walked in. "Are you feeling any better?" He asked.

"Eh, my head's not hurting right now, so I can't complain."

The old man chuckled a bit. "That's good to hear. Come now, I brought dinner."

They sat quietly for a few moments, the only sounds being Trevor's eating. Boredom settled in very soon, though. Therefore, he decided to try and make use of what he could remember.

"Say, Mimic. You said you're a 'relic hunter'. Is that a fancy way of saying archeologist, or what?"

The bespectacled man made a so-so motion with his free hand. "Partially. A part of my work is to find old-world items, machinery, and the like. Then I study said items in order to replicate them so that everyone may use them."

Trevor made a show of mulling over the explanation while chewing. "So basically, you find old stuff and adapt it for the masses?"

"Yes, that is exactly what I said."

"Sounds cool. What'd you work on lately?" He had a feeling that getting the old man to ramble would be a good choice.

The old man's face brightened up immediately, and within thirty seconds he'd leaped out of the room and returned with some kind of device in his hands. Immediately, Mimic launched himself in a long-winded rant about the thingamajig. His enthusiasm was infectious, and Trevor found himself interrupting him to ask for details multiple times. In the end though, Trevor found himself a bit confused.

"That's a fucking blender. And he's acting like it's a great innovation… Just what is the tech level of this place?"

Nevertheless, Mimic's impromptu lecture sparked an interest in Trevor. He did want to know more about the inner workings of machinery. "You know, this is really interesting. Would you be willing to teach me more?"

Mimic's enthusiasm dimmed a bit. "I… that's not a simple answer. I am afraid that I do not have the free time to take on an apprentice, but if you wish to pursue a deeper knowledge of the subject I cannot in good conscience say no…" Mimic hummed to himself, then snapped his fingers. "I know. While I don't have the time, I do have extensive research written down on the subject: you could read through it, and I can afterwards elucidate any confusion you may have."

"So you're giving me your notes to study from."

"Precisely."

"Nice."

Skill restored: Engineering (Basic)
The first of many steps to create technological marvels unlike anything the world has ever seen.
Attentive teaching has increased your knowledge! Engineering (Basic) to level 3!

###​

The following week went by slowly, but it was productive, all things considered.
Trevor's newfound passion for machinery consumed many hours of his days, and with that he also figured out several of the system's functions.​

###​

Dutiful studying has increased your knowledge! Engineering (Basic) to level 10!
Engineering (Basic) reached maximum level! You gained 1 Stat point!
Engineering (Basic) evolved into Engineering (Journeyman)!

A giddy grin grew on Trevor's face as he read through the notifications. Without a moment to lose, he opened his status screen to see that yes, the Point counter had increased to 1, and each of his stats now had a plus sign next to them, indicating that he could increase them.
His finger froze in mid-air as his mind caught up with what was going on.

"Hold up… what do I use this for?" He wondered. "I remember that my skills used to give bonuses to my stats, but I guess that this isn't the case anymore… I did try to stay balanced, though the bonuses made me a bit INT-biased. I suppose investing in that for the moment won't be so bad, I could use the help in learning."

With his Mind stat increased to an incredible 2, Trevor returned to his studies while planning out a training regimen for when he'd recover… which might take a while. He was healing nicely according to Mimic, but Trevor wasn't too certain about it: the sizable scars that covered his right thigh and abdomen didn't inspire much optimism.

How had he even gained those scars was a mystery still.

Whatever miracle medicine Mimic was using had its effect at least, as Trevor was finally allowed out of bed after a few days.

###​

"Very well, steady now-"

"Take it easy, I've got this."

Using crutches wasn't actually that hard after you got the hang of them. Since Trevor's leg was still unable to handle his weight that was the best option he had to move around, but it wasn't that bad.

Although, walking down the stairs did require some care from both of them.

After that little debacle, Trevor was finally able to see Mimic's workshop, which prompted him to start hobbling everywhere to get a good look of everything around. That was when Trevor, in his nerd-fueled rampage, stumbled into a large machine that he'd somehow missed earlier.

It was a large platform, maybe ten feet across, with several tubes coming out of it and connecting to the glass dome above it. Several panels were missing, half-finished wiring visible inside.

Extractor/infuser?
This machine can drain a certain type of energy and infuse it into whatever is contained inside. It is incomplete.

The non-specific result of Analysis confused Trevor greatly. That was new. Until then, the skill had given descriptions detailed enough to know how to use something, or outright hadn't mentioned parts that were beyond Trevor's knowledge.

Also, when he looked at the machine something at the back of his head kept bugging him. Had he seen the machine in his 'previous run', for lack of a better term?

"Is something the matter?"

Trevor jumped. He'd forgotten that Mimic was there at all.

"Ah, well… I can't figure out the exact function of this thing?"

Mimic nodded with a hum. "Do not be discouraged, this piece is a bit more complex than what you have seen so far. What can you figure out?"

Trevor went back to staring at the machine, pulling at everything he knew.

"Well, it apparently can extract some sort of energy… and then that energy goes into the dome. But it doesn't look like it works by electricity, or anything of the sort."

The old man chuckled to himself, and gave a short applause. "All of that is correct. In fact, I am pleasantly surprised that you noticed that last detail: not many notice the difference between working with electricity and with Thaum."

Trevor blinked. "Working with what now?"

"Thaum, Trevor. Or as it is more commonly known, magic." He began to pace, slowly slipping into 'lecture mode'. "While most people will agree that magic exists, you will find that many lack the talent to work with it in its most basic form - that being, of course, spells - but, it can be worked with indirectly by everyone with some know-how."

He then motioned towards the machine. "The 'Infuser' was born through a simple premise: magic permeates everything, but Thaum-attuned people - commonly called mages - can draw in more, moulding it to their needs. What if we could force and automate that process?"

"...anybody could become a mage?"

"Exactly!"

Back in his room, Trevor kept thinking about the Infuser. There was something more about that thing that Mimic didn't want to tell him, he was certain. He'd probably learned it in his previous run, but now he couldn't remember. Damned supernatural beings and their memory-locking bullshit.

He also thought quite a bit about the whole 'magic' thing, which he did know already, but hearing it made it feel more real. Would he be able to do it? He didn't have an MP bar anymore, for some reason.

Then again, maybe it was just relegated to SP instead.

With that idea, he attempted to meditate once more.

###​

His attempt was… partially successful. Sure, he could meditate still, but when he tried to feel out his magic, he felt… empty. The warmth he was used to associating with mana was missing.
[Warning: magic-type skills locked by Admin.
Comment: You have disappointed me. Consider this your punishment.]

Trevor froze, his eyes scanning the message over and over again. This… this changed everything.

"It's watching me. It's watching me and it took away my best weapon. What am I supposed to do?!" Trevor was starting to hyperventilate now.
It took an immense amount of willpower to go back to meditating, but slowly he calmed down enough to think logically.

"The answer is obvious: just keep going as I have now. Tech can go a long way, and if Mimic is any indication, I might be able to create magitech. I'll also learn to fight properly, and that will be the end of it."

He would also keep meditating whenever he needed: while he couldn't use magic, it was very helpful in thinking things through, and it worked as a replacement for sleep.

###​

"-and then they have the gall to tell me that they need them by the end of the month! How am I supposed to train a dozen falcons that quickly?"

"Maybe they just thought that you're that good?"

Sky leaned back into her chair, rubbing her temples with a sigh. "I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I made it abundantly clear that I need time for this stuff. Sure, falcons aren't that difficult to train for me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't take time! Do you have any idea how long it took for me to get Wrench to listen to me?"

"Dunno. Few months?"

"Thereabouts, yeah. But keep in mind that I took care of him ever since he was a chick: that sped up the process massively. And these idiots wanted me to deal with a dozen adult falcons in a month? First you need to get their trust, which isn't easy! Then you need to-"

The conversation stretched on for hours, though neither really noticed. Trevor certainly didn't mind the break from his studies, and he was still learning things through Sky's rants.
Unwitting teaching has increased your knowledge! Avian Empathy (Basic) to level 4!

###​

"So. No story, no origins? Nothing at all?"

"Pretty much." Trevor shrugged... as much as he could while using his crutches.

"Bolo..." Sky groused. "Have some tact, geez. You can't just start a conversation like that!"

"Hey, take it easy! I was just curious."

Seeing a 6'2 man getting berated by a 5'5 girl made for a hilarious sight. Still, Trevor let it fade into the background as he took in the sights of Scuttle Town. It wasn't large by any stretch of the word, but there was a quaint air to it.

He had to suppress a frown as the feeling of deja-vu made itself known again. At least, this time he realized why. He'd definitely seen the town, after all. He blinked, and for a moment the peaceful town was replaced with destroyed buildings, fire, the sounds of gunshots and explosions… and then it was back to normal.

"Another memory?" He wondered. It was definitely… worrying. Hopefully it wouldn't happen too soon. Still, it was all the more reason to kick his training into high gear as soon as he could.

The afternoon was spent socializing with Sky and Bolo, but as soon as he returned to his room he'd returned to studying in earnest.

###​

Then, finally, the day came when Trevor could call himself healed. At least, for the most part.

"Weird," he muttered. "I guess that it was worse than I thought." He flexed his scarred leg, the muscle resisting the movement.

"That is a tad worrisome," agreed Mimic, "but not overly so. The fact that you can move your leg is proof enough: you will be fine after some time."

Tentatively agreeing, Trevor sat down for breakfast. Staring at the plate of pancakes sitting in front of him, Trevor could feel something nagging at the back of his mind. But why? Was today an important day in his previous 'run'?

He got his answer when the front door opened.​

Shantae, Half-Genie Hero
HP: 250/250 (100%)
SP: 307/350 (88%)

Everything clicked into place. Today was the day when he'd learned of the soul tether, had begun learning magic, had met Shantae, and told Mimic part of what he could do. Mimic had proved to be rather understanding of that, so maybe… maybe he could be told a bit more? But not now. He could think about it some more.

But there was more. Ammo Baron's attack, Risky Boots, the ship, the kraken.

He couldn't defeat it. He was too weak… no. He was too spread out. He didn't need power.

He needed focus.

A new character sheet threadmark will come later.

Character Sheet (new)
Name: Trevor
HP: 25/25
SP: 25/25

Life: 1
Stamina: 1
Body: 1
Mind: 3

Analysis - LV 3
Provides information about the target depending on the user's knowledge of the subject.
Higher levels will provide additional details.

Avian Empathy (Basic) - LV 4
You have a very basic gist of what birds are feeling, but not necessarily the cause.

Engineering (Journeyman) - LV 4
You know more than the average person, enough to create simple gadgets. The road is still long.

Meditation (Journeyman) - LV 5
Calm your spirit, and see the truth of your mind. Meditation is slightly more efficient than sleep.

After seeing the way that the whole 'reset' bullshit seems to gave turned most people away from the fic, I've been giving some serious thought to the way that I've been doing things.

In the time I haven't written this fic I've tried to expand on worlbuilding, but the more I did the more it felt like I was contradicting myself and what I'd already established as canon here.

No, I'm not going to do a rewrite. This whole fic is getting scrapped entirely, and I'll do something different. First thing getting cut is that game stuff. It feels like clutter at this point, you know? On one hand it was helpful to keep track of what Trevor could and couldn't do, but on the other it felt limiting... as if I were hiding too much behind the curtain that was the 'game', preventing this story to fully grow into its own.

Tl;dr: I want to grow as an author and I can't do that while clinging to old ideas that I consider wrong. Consider the story dead. I will edit a link to the new one here if anyone wants.

Well, I like the idea, setting and characters. Disliked the reset but understand the reason. Liked the way Trevor and Shantae relationship was moving forward. Wish you luck. If possible update the thread when the new story is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back