• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Old Glory Once Again! (Modern US in Fallout)

Old Glory Once Again! (Modern US in Fallout)
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

For many in the Wasteland, the mention of the United States can conjure many emotions, some positive, most scathingly negative.

But there is no doubt that the US of the Old World has been extinguished, a dead nation.

Unless...?

Through chance, the US that won the Cold War, has now found itself an entrance to the Wasteland.

While Old Glory explores this alternative reality, the rumors of a Dead Nation prompt immediate action.

Because if there's one thing that's certain? It's that War....

War Never Changes.
Chapter 1: A Chance Meeting

t99_2020

Getting sticky.
Mojave Desert
Nevada, US
December, 202X

Throughout his long career, General Monroe had seen much. It came with the job, so to say. From his early days watching over Checkpoint Bravo, to overseeing the first strikes on Saddam's army, Monroe knew that tomorrow could spring open some new variable, with subsequent plans rendered obsolete.

In other words, bullshit ready to make his life harder than it was.

But if the report that he had received was true, all of what he had just experienced would pale in comparison to… whatever the fuck this was.

"General, we arrived."

"Good. Set us down." Monroe ordered the pilot, the helicopter setting down on the landing strip, the rotors silent within a minute. Not a comfortable ride, but it did its job.

Turning his attention to the rest of the base, Monroe narrowed his eyes. Even in the darkness of the early day, Nellis Air Force Base was on high alert. Flight crews moved to and fro, frantically getting the aircraft ready, ranging from fuel to missile pods. In the cockpits, pilots were already seated, immediate deployment imminent.

It wasn't only the birds that were getting ready. In the distance, he could see armed personnel present, already in squads. Under the lights, they stood ram-rod straight, awaiting orders. Most notably, S10 NBC respirators adorned the faces of those present.

From an outside perspective, it would seem that Nellis was readying for war. Unusual circumstances, to say the least.

Nellis, for all intents and purposes, was supposed to be a training facility for advanced cadets. While some movement was expected during major operations, Nellis was relatively quiet. After all, deep in the Southwest, Nellis wasn't like the bases in Korea, where one spark meant war. No hostile force would ever realistically be on American soil.

That was, until now.

It was the reason why he had been scrambled by the Chief of Staff. An unknown force had been engaged by troops nearby, and had raised the alarm. From the initial reports, none of the hostiles had even attempted to slow down, before engaging the patrolling soldiers. Thankfully, no casualties.

And now, here he was, trying to piece together this absolute clusterfuck.

Opening the cockpit door, Monroe was greeted by the post commander.

"General Monroe, we've been expecting you." Colonel Luchart said, a crisp salute following after.

"The same to you, Colonel." Monroe replied back with a salute of his own. "Now then… I've already seen the report, but to say that I'm in disbelief is…"

"Indeed." Luchart's mouth morphed into a grimace, as if he couldn't believe what he saw. Reaching into his pocket, he handed Monroe the folder. "Before the Geiger counters went off the scales, we managed to snap a few pictures for the autopsies."

Walking across the field, Monroe opened the folder, taking the picture out. For a solid ten seconds, he was silent, trying to process what the picture was conveying to him. If it weren't for the serious face that Luchart was displaying, he would have thought it an early April Fool's joke.

Except, it wasn't.

"Jesus… that's one ugly son of a bitch." Monroe uttered under his breath finally.

"Believe me, I didn't believe them before I actually saw…" Luchart paused, trying to find the best word. "Them."

"Zombie. You can call it a zombie."

And on first glance, it did look like one. From head to toe, what looked to be necrotizing flesh was present all over. Strips of skin seemed to be falling off, scarred with a sickly green color, red muscle decorating it. The head was even worse, with only clumps of hair decorating the head. Where there was once a nose, nothing remained, besides a hole. Finally, the eyes were a deep black color, with no sclera present whatsoever.

All in all, a zombie straight out of those horrid B-movies his grandson liked to watch.

But that wasn't what caught his attention. It was what they were wearing that was the most eye-catching.

Even if the elements had shredded the cloth, it was apparent that the zombie was wearing military wares. An olive green uniform, from the looks of it. Going through the photos, Monroe noticed the other zombies wore the same, no matter how damaged they appeared to be. One even was wearing an olive green helmet.

More questions emerged in Monroe's head. Questions that he would have the answers to soon enough. But first, the most vital aspect of this incursion…

"How tight is the quarantine?"

Luchart sighed. "As best as we could. Chemical Corps should be arriving soon, but a good number of personnel were exposed to them."

Monroe wasn't one to be spooked easily, but a chill went up his spine. "Any changes in them?"

"Not as far as we can tell. Doctor Lee has been keeping them under observation in the wing." A ghost of a smile appeared on Luchart's face. "Good news? A solid day has passed without them turning into one of those things."

"Keep them there." Monroe tersely ordered. "If anything happens, lock the base down. Nobody gets in, or out."

Luchart simply nodded, guiding Monroe to one of the hangars, now an impromptu quarantine site. At the entrance, two soldiers, clad in outdated CBRN outfits stood at alert, guarding the entrance.

'Note to self. Request an update on wares if things blow over. Not fucking ready by any standards.'

It didn't take long before both Luchart and Monroe were clad in the same outfits, being washed down heavily with God-knows-what. Probably some compound that hadn't seen the light of day in decades.

With a shudder, the hangar door opened slightly, allowing the two men to enter.

Helicopters and jets remained silent, for fear of the contamination that may have spread. As such, it took a solid minute for the two commanders to get to their destination. Still, it was easy to find where the quarantine site was.

More soldiers, garnered in CBRN uniforms, stood at attention, surrounding the body bags laid on the ground.

And in the center…

"Doesn't make any sense by any measure, but what the hell do I know…" A woman's voice emanated from the white radiation suited figure, carefully examining the teeth of one of the "zombies", carefully using sutures to remove the molars with a sickening crack. Laid on the ground next to the zombie, were an additional six body bags.

"Doctor Haville, I hope that I'm not interrupting anything?"

"Ah! Not at all Colonel." Haville dropped the molar into a container of some sort, before standing up to greet the two. "And I assume General Monroe?"

"Indeed. In better times, I would have done things by the book, but the Oval Office is demanding answers. So…" Monroe pointed to the half-opened body bag. "What the hell are those things, and more importantly, what's the risk assessment?"

Zipping up the bodybag, Haville let out a sigh.

"The good news is that whatever those things are, there's no risk for biological contamination. No viruses, bacteria, prion or anything of that nature."

"Why is that?"

Haville grabbed a yellow instrument to her right, motioning it over the bodybag. Immediately, the Geiger counter shrilled in alarm, as the rapid-fire clicking echoed throughout the hangar.

"Three thousands roentgens. There's enough ionizing radiation emanating from their bodies to neutralize any antigen. Frankly, I'm shocked that they didn't keel over from the rads themselves."

While he didn't see their faces, he could tell the soldiers on standby were very uncomfortable, judging by the way they fidgeted with their weapons. Evidently, Luchart must have felt the same way.

"Not to worry, General. We're doing shifts to minimize the radiation exposure. Next shift should be moving in the next five minutes. We advised Haville to move as well but…"

"Not to worry. The radiation suit is top of the line. I can afford to stay here for a while." Haville responded, rifling through the bag on the ground, next to the bodybag. "It's allowed me to go through them more carefully. And… I think there's a few items that may be of interest to you."

The first item, was for sure, something that was out of the ordinary. With practiced hands, Haville handed the oversized pistol to Luchart.

"I'm not a soldier, but I'm pretty sure they don't produce pieces like this. Like… at all."

"Right on that part. This ain't no pistol I'm familiar with. Let me have a look."

Luchart gave the pistol to Monroe, taking note of its condition. Weathered with age, but no significant wear or tear. Rather than a magazine, a revolver-like cylinder was used. He narrowed, his eye at the numbers and words stamped onto the barrel.

MODEL 6520

Still, every pistol followed the same principles. Careful to not point the barrel at anyone, Monroe clicked the safety on, before extracting one of the bullets from the chamber.

Luchart whistled in response at the size of the bullet. "Definitely not one of ours. One shot from that, and that'll put anyone down."

"Indeed… but it doesn't get to the bottom of this. Anything else?"

Haville simply nodded, before taking another item out of the bag, this time with gentle care.

"At first glance, I thought this was a cruel joke." Haville soberly spoke, giving the dog-tags to the general. "But, I'm not so sure now."

One look, and the General softly cursed.

SMITH
FARADAY
O NEG
CATHOLIC

Monroe wasn't one to believe in coincidences. This wasn't just any dog-tag, it was a distinctively American one. Combined with the shredded uniforms, as well as the other dog tags, and the zombies became a variable that was familiar and unfamiliar simultaneously.

One that he wouldn't leave to chance.

"Dr. Haville, when you're done here, run the dog tags on our database. Find if there's a match."

"And if there isn't?"

"Then we can at least cross out one possibility." Monroe handed the pistol back to Haville. "At the very least, we won't have to send letters out."

Cold, by any measures. But as far as he was concerned, these creatures weren't American soldiers, not by any measures. Certainly not to the men who had been attacked by these… things.

It was at this point that the hangar doors shuddered open once again, making every soldier raise their weapons slightly. No other visitors were expected.

"Colonel Luchart!" The soldier yelled, running towards the group. "Urgent message from Patrol Gamma!"

"Slow down there, son." Luchart gestured, allowing the man to catch his breath in the CBRN gear he had on. "Name and rank?"

"Lieutenant Roths, sir!"

'What's the situation then, Lieutenant?"

Roths paused for a moment, looking at the bodybags. Thankfully, Haville had sealed the one she had been working on. "Patrol Gamma has encountered an unknown entity, and they're awaiting further instructions."

"Not hostile?"

"Affirmative. From what I was able to gather, it's… complicated." Roths let out the last words with skepticism.

"How complicated?"

'Should not have asked that question, Luchart.'

Zombies were one thing. Even ones that shouldn't even be living, keeling over from what should have been lethal amounts of radiation.

But the robot in front of him was an entirely different kettle of fish.

"And your name is?"

"AS STATED BEFORE, MY DESIGNATION IS T-5078 GUTSY MODEL C! MR. GUTSY, FOR SHORT!" The robot screamed out loud, giving Monroe the shivers. He swore he could hear the Sergeant calling him a maggot.

It wasn't like any of those new-fangled drones that had become prevalent over Afghanistan. For one, this robot seemed to be able to think for itself. Hovering above the air on a single jet, the olive-colored robot seemed to have no troubles with movement. Three optics attached to the main chassis, complemented the three arms that the "Mr. Gutsy" had. One of which seemed to glow, ominously.

No matter how rusted the metal was, Monroe was sure that this robot was years ahead of what the boys at DARPA could build.

"So, Mr. Gutsy…" Luchart continued, straightening his officer uniform. "Why did you decide to initiate contact with Patrol Gamma?"

"A DELIGHTFUL QUESTION!" The robot responded again, making the soldiers of Patrol Gamma jump slightly. "IN ACCORDANCE WITH COMBAT PROTOCOL CHARLIE ZULU 4, ALL UNAUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ARE TO BE NEUTRALIZED AS POTENTIAL COMMIE SYMPATHIZERS!"

Monroe gave a bewildered glance at Luchart. The technology on display was in sharp contrast to the almost McCarthy-like dialogue being spitted out.

"And why did you decide to talk things out?"

"BEFORE PROTOCOL CHARLIE ZULU 4 COULD BE INITIATED, ONE OF PATROL TEAM GAMMA STATED THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH THESE GOD-BLESSED US ARMED FORCES!" The robot's optics narrowed. "WHILE I HAD MY DOUBTS, YOUR APPEARANCE INDICATES THAT I AM INDEED IN THE PRESENCE OF US ARMY ONCE AGAIN!"

While he would have preferred the CBRN ware now, Monroe was counting his lucky stars that he had heeded the advice of Patrol Team Gamma. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't worn his General outfit.

It was clear that he wouldn't be getting any answers about the zombies from this propaganda piece. But he still could find out where they were coming from.

"Can you at least tell us where you're operating from?"

"CERTAINLY, GENERAL MONROE!" Without hesitation, the robot turned its back to the men with an alarming speed. "FOLLOW ME!"

As General Monroe followed the robot, he could see that Luchart was motioning the soldiers, their weapons ready at a moment's notice. One nod, and the robot, advanced technology be damned, would be nothing but scraps.

It didn't take long before the group was entering into one of the caves surrounding the Nellis. A click, and the flashlights lit up the cave with no troubles. No further conversations occurred, for fear of pissing off the "Better Dead than Red" robot in front of them.

A few minutes passed, as the group entered deeper into the cave. With every step, Monroe couldn't help but feel that he was walking into a trap…

And then… he saw it.

"You've got to be shitting me." One of the soldiers let out, shock apparent in his tone. "Some kind of fucking Stargate project?!"

While he would have admonished the private at any other time, he would let it slide, for now.

Because even he couldn't help but feel the same way.

In front of him, defying all known laws of physics and gravity, was a portal, about the size of a warehouse entrance, buzzing with energy. But what caught his attention next was more eye-catching.

On the other end, attached to the metal wall, was a flag, one that had seen much, much better days. The white stars were in the wrong positions, with fewer of them in general. But even the damage couldn't hide what it was supposed to be.

"FORGIVE ME GENERAL! IF I HAD KNOWN THAT YOU WOULD BE ARRIVING ALL THESE YEARS LATER, I WOULD HAVE MADE SURE THE STARS AND STRIPES SHINED LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE!"

"WELCOME! TO THE FOUR STATES COMMONWEALTH DEFENSE COMMAND!"

QQ AN: Not normally my usual site I post, but with the unexpected success of this story on SB, I may as well introduce to more people.

Song of the Day:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUuT379liW0

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Plans and Preparations
1 WEEK LATER…
Mojave Desert

When his daughter was born, General Monroe had sworn off cigarettes. Bad for the baby, and a bad image overall.

It had been hard, going cold turkey, but he had managed. Better health was merely a bonus. Throughout all the years and stress of the battlefield, smoking had been a thing of the past. It would have to take a situation so massive, so unbelievably a clusterfuck, that the sweet relief of nicotine would be able to blunt it.

Well… life had finally won. It had decided to pull out of its ass something that he couldn't ignore.

Outside, in the chilling Mojave night, Monroe breathed out a smoke puff before snuffing out the cigarette.

"Didn't realize you smoked, General." Luchart said.

Monroe let out a small chuckle. "You would be correct. Supposed to have quit these damn cancer-sticks a while back." He glanced back at the cave system, an innocuous gateway to another reality.

Already, events were in motion. While the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff had expressed disbelief, a simple visit to Nellis had put to rest any doubts of what they had found. Especially with the fully-functioning robot that had greeted the man with a sort of gravitas, going so far as to lower its volume.

Now? The rudimentary foundations for the heart of what was to be Operation Prometheus were being laid out. Stealing figurative fire, of course.

And he was the poor son of a bitch meant to lead this operation.

"Apparently not, but I'm not one to judge." Luchart spoke, looking into the vast Mojave Desert. From this point of view, it would be easy to forget that civilization was even present. "Didn't think Ivan falling would be the first watershed moment, but here I am, eating my words. But hey!" Luchart exclaimed, having a shit-eating grin on his face. "It does make things interesting on the base."

General Monroe wasn't one to show many emotions, but he gave a deadpan stare at the Colonel.

"Interesting is a bit of an understatement, Colonel."

"Yeah, I suppose so." Luchart sheepishly replied. "Still… I still can't wrap my head around it."

"Well… you better wrap it soon, because they've arrived." Monroe said, listening to the radio chatter. "Let's get the last of them acquainted."

"Not going to lie…" Luchart tittered, as the black Blackhawk landed in the distance. "Don't know if I should be wary of them. Swear they give me the creeps."

Monroe simply sighed.

"They're spooks, that's their job."

Briefing Room, Nellis Air Force Base.

When the designers had made this room, they probably hadn't foreseen it being used by units other than the Air Force. At the very least, Monroe was thankful that they at least designed it for high capacity.

As he prepared for the brief, Monroe could see a variety of uniforms, from all different branches. Most wore the same OCP uniforms, but there were some differences. The group to the right of him had gas masks hanging from their sides, indicating the Chemical Corps. At the back, the men and women were part of the Air Force's drone program.

That left the group of Marines to his left. And finally, Black Ops in the middle. A few short glares from the others, but nothing too serious.

Breathing in a deep breath, Monroe couldn't help but think about his family. As far as he was concerned, Operation Prometheus was persona non grata. He wouldn't be able to visit his family for months, possibly even years.

Even if he was to return, none of what he would see or hear would ever reach the light of day. America's path for a New World lay mere miles from him, and he shuddered at the thought of the Chinese getting their hands on that sort of technology.

For better or for worse, the men and women in front of him would be his new "family".

"Now then. General Monroe will be briefing you on this mission." Luchart announced to the crowd.

'Showtime.'

Moving onto the stage, Monroe set himself in front of the podium.

"Greetings to all of you on this short notice. As stated before, the good Colonel has already introduced me, so I'll keep this brief."

Monroe's eyes scanned the entire room, without a hint of a smile. "What you're about to see and hear, are under the highest levels of secrecy. In fact, I would say that any attempts to disperse this information to the public, will be considered an offense close to treason. I don't need to tell you what the consequences are…"

The room, rather chatty beforehand, turned quiet as the grave. Good. These men and women needed to understand what they were getting into.

One of the Marines raised his hand.

"Sir… what operation are we exactly conducting here? Because this…" He gestured to the rest of the room. "This isn't a drill."

"Name and Rank?"

The marine seemed to shy away before responding. "Corporal Wilter, sir."

"You're correct on that part, Corporal. This operation is unlike any you have conducted previously. Now then… let's start."

With that, the lights dimmed, leaving the entire room in darkness.

Allowing for the old projector to start up.

"On December 4th, at 0300 hours, personnel at this base were attacked by an unknown hostile force. All attempts to dissuade and cease hostilities failed, with lethal force unfortunately being needed. What we didn't know at the time was that the hostile force looked like this."

With the last word, the projector switched to the next slide.

This time, the troops couldn't help themselves.

"What the fuck?!"

"THE HELL IS THA-"

"JESUS!"

Displayed to all, were the corpses of the zombies, lined up and taken with HD cameras. Clear to see the rabid snarls on their frozen faces. Clear to see the rotten flesh from head to toe.

Monroe stayed silent, allowing the troops to take in the picture. Best give them a foundation, before he pulled the carpet out from under them again. When they eventually quieted down, he continued.

"As you can see. These ain't no Ruskies. Rather, what we have here are human-turned monsters. And yes… that is part of your mission."

A voice was heard over the murmurs of the crowd.

"First Lieutenant Polodi here! What sort of biological weapons program is this?! And why the hell do we only have two hundred people for this?!"

"An excellent question, that our good friend here will demonstrate. Because as I told you, this is not a normal operation." Glancing to his side, Monroe nodded to Luchart. "Mr. Gutsy, you can come out now!"

Within seconds, the floating robot that had started this whole operation joined General Monroe on the stage. The questions ceased, as the soldiers boggled at what they were witnessing.

And then, the robot made its presence clear.

"IT APPEARS THAT GENERAL MONROE WAS NOT LYING! I SEE THE FINEST FORCE THAT HAS EVER BEEN ASSEMBLED IN UNCLE SAM'S NAME! HOORAH!"

Monroe had to admit, knowing that the men and women in front of him had the same stupefied expression he had all those days ago, made the whole thing almost worth the future headaches.

Almost.

THREE HOURS LATER…
CAVE SYSTEM LEADING TO OPERATION PROMETHEUS

"Gotta admit, they managed to recover pretty quickly."

"Of course they did. I made a request for the best of the best." Monroe replied to Luchart, moving through the cave system. "And that means being able to adapt to new situations."

"Still… having everything you know upended by a bad parody of Stargate ain't what most people think about. A crappy parody, come to think of it." Luchart muttered under his breath.

"True enough. But if we can reproduce even a fraction of what that robot had to offer…" Monroe didn't finish his sentence, letting the past memories do the work.

It had been simply a test as to what the "Mr Gutsy" was capable of. Three appendages, capable of doing three different tasks.

The first appendage, a manipulator pincer, had allowed the robot to handle normal tasks, while serving as a powerful bludgeon.

The second appendage, a flamethrower, allowed the robot a deadly close range weapon.

But it was the third appendage that had garnered the most attention. The eggheads had set up a dummy target, complete with gelatin organs, for the robot to deal with. An order that the robot was pleased to follow.

Rather than lead, a bright green projectile simply turned the human figure into green goop. A plasma projectile, if the Gutsy was correct.

Leave it to a floating piece of 50s propaganda to demonstrate practical energy weapons.

"Don't need to remind me. No IFAK is going to patch that up." Luchart shuddered.

As the two men moved further into the cave system, the work of the Army Corps of Engineers became prominent with every step. Where once there was uneven terrain, smooth asphalt made the walk easier. Portable generators hummed, powering the lights hanging on the concrete pillars, which in turn, gave additional support to the ceiling above.

Still... it had only been a week since they had discovered the portal. Not everything was up to standards.

For instance, the checkpoint guarding the portal.

"Halt! No entry without proper authorization!" A man shouted from behind the sandbag barricade, one M2 Browning on each side.

"Beta-Five-Two-Yota-Charlie-Seven-Six-Eight." Monroe recited out the day's passcode.

"One moment… alright, you can come through." The man indicated to the two men to move along.

With the checkpoint out of the way, it didn't take long before they reached their destination.

"Doctor Winsler, nice to see you!" Luchart exclaimed to the group of labcoats, studying the shimmering wall in reality.

Monroe still had doubts about letting civvies into this. More people in the know, meant more people who could potentially leak the entire operation. However, he couldn't deny that without getting a headstart on this portal, this operation would be at the mercy of portal's energy.

"Same to you, Colonel Luchart! Now, about that report…" The portly middle-aged man gestured to the clipboard on hand.

"Let's hear it. Are the energy levels stable enough? We can't afford to maroon our forces on a different Earth."

"They are… from the preliminary data we've been able to gather." Winsler sighed. "Energy levels have remained constant throughout the week, but frankly? We're in unknown territory."

Unknown was putting it mildly, for a physicist who had been forced to see numerous laws being given the middle finger, Monroe thought. Far as he was concerned, Winsler and his staff would have the harder job, trying to figure out the nature of the portal.

But that led to the conundrum that he was in right now.

If he had it his way, he would have taken his time, enabling the scientists to get a better feeling as to whether or not the portal was stable. Allow the troops to train up, and better coordinate with one another.

But as it stood, time wasn't on his side. It was only through sheer luck that the portal had opened up in an isolated spot. Next time, they wouldn't be so lucky.

With a brief goodbye, Luchart and Monroe left the scientists, and entered into the portal. Immediately, the damp and moldy smell gave way to the dry and clinical atmosphere of the compound itself. Still, there was a strange taste to the air, almost as if it was recycled.

The room itself was rather spartan, only having a bunch of scrap and junk lying about. No presence of wood, or even glass, just metal.

But as it stood, the room would be the staging point for taking control of the complex, thanks to the holographic table that so conveniently had a map of the place. Whatever it was used for originally, Monroe didn't know.

"So. How do you want to approach this?" Luchart twisted the knobs on the holographic table, allowing the display of the complex to be fully visible. "From what the robot said, we're currently on the bottom floor over here." Luchart pointed to a particular corner, marked in red. "It's been able to relay updated IFFs, so that we aren't considered hostiles, but apparently, there's dumber bots that won't be so friendly."

"Also doesn't take into account if we have to deal with more of those zombies." Monroe muttered, touching the hologram to move it around. "Close quarters combat, and it'll make Fallujah look like paradise."

As the men looked over the holographic map, the chances of success looked slim.

From an outside perspective, clearing the floor, much less the five floors above, would take too many casualties.

But Monroe wasn't going to let some B-movie zombies be the obstacle between the US and the technology it needed.

Slowly but surely, a plan of attack was formed.

"Right… I think I can make this work. Colonel?"

"Yes, General?" Luchart asked.

"Get back to Nellis, and tell the White House that we're going to need to requisition some materiel, on my command. First, additional flashbangs…"

AN: Next chapter will detail the assault on the Four States Commonwealth Defense Command. Expect a lot of drones to be used.

Song of the Day:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co03QqGA4Og

Chapter 3: The Calm Before the Storm
LEVEL 3

Over two hundred years ago, the Four States Commonwealth Defense Command should have been bustling with activity.

According to Uncle Sam, the dirty Reds would never be able to touch pure, American soil. With state of the art weaponry, as well as computing power that rivaled the defenses in Washington, Chairman Cheng would never lay a single finger on the peaceful communities in the Four States Commonwealth.

Of course, that was what they said.

The reality was vastly different.

Now, the underground complex that was the first line of defense, was as silent as the grave. The only sounds being that of the generators themselves, continuing to chug along all these centuries later.

All interrupted by the sounds of a jet nozzle. Belonging to a loyal soldier.

Unit T-6072, Mister Gutsy, couldn't believe it. Apparently, the base was full of spies! Pinko-card carrying COMMUNISTS, dressed in the uniforms of fallen American soldiers. Despicable!

Even worse? His fellow comrades, the ones who should have had his back? They had been compromised by Chinese spyware, waiting for their opportunity to stab Sweet Liberty in the back! He should have known. Weak-minded fools from Rob-Co, of all places.

Not like himself and his brothers. After all, General Atomics would never have let such seditious thoughts corrupt such patriotic units.

But all of that was going to change!

New orders had come in, and if he could smile, Mister Gutsy would be grinning in anticipation.

Moving along the corridors, his optics narrowed, as he spotted a group of Chinese infiltrators on the ground, growling their socialist propaganda in their sleep.

[ANALYZING… THREAT RECORDED]

When the time came, T-6072 would be proud to follow General Monroe's orders, allowing the Stars and Stripes to once again fly proudly over the base.

These poor Commies didn't realize that they were dead men walking.

As red lights cluttered up the holographic map by the minute, Monroe had mixed feelings.

On one hand, the intelligence that these… "Mr. Gutsies" were worth their weight in gold. With corroboration from the drones on hand, each one of those red dots was a threat that wouldn't surprise the strike force.

On the other hand, there was no way to confirm the nature of the threats. Zombies, more heavily armored robots? The possibilities were endless. That didn't even take into account the nature of the Mr. Gutsies themselves. He wasn't an expert, but Monroe would bet his right arm that the programmers had been snorting something good.

But if he wanted to take this base with minimal casualties, utilizing these strange robots was their best option.

"Status?"

"86.6%. Full scan will be complete in thirteen minutes." The army technician replied back, slowly turning the hologram slightly.

"Lot of uglies, if that's the case." Captain Graves of the 2nd Chemical Battalion spoke, observing the map with a critical eye. Behind him, the 1st Platoon of A Company readied their gear. The rest would be coming in soon. "Info will be outdated by several minutes. We'll have to move slowly."

"Take as much time as you need, Captain. Better that we be thorough, than sloppy." Monroe said. "Let the robots take the brunt of the attack. Afterwards, we can clean up."

Hart gave a slight confused look. "You sure about that? Thought ya wanted those bots to be intact, so them eggheads can study them."

"I could give less of a damn about what the scientists care about. This place is a deathtrap if we aren't careful enough. Besides…" Monroe looked at the corner of the map.

FLOOR FIVE: 33 Units Operational

"I think we have enough to spare."

Truth be told, the metallic taste of the iodine pills weren't pleasant at all.

But if what the Captain said was true, this place could be leaking rads like a sieve.

With that pleasant thought, Sergeant Pam continued to move forwards, the rest of the squad moving behind him. Thankfully, no noticeable ticks from the Geiger counter.

"Got to admit. When we got this transfer, an excursion into an alternate reality wasn't what I had in mind." A voice quietly spoke over comms. Private Miller, if he was correct.

"Bit of an understatement. Shit looks like it came straight out of Star Wars, especially that robot. Wonder what's making it float?"

Pam sighed, before activating his mic.

"Shut it. We can always talk about this during chowtime. Rest of the boys are depending on us to clear the way forward."

With a reminder of what they were here to do, the squad piped down, marching down the dimly lit corridor.

The first incident with this new world didn't take long, if one could call an impromptu grave an incident.

Slumped against the wall, the skeleton was unmistakably military, the aged olive green uniform still recognizable. Gripped in its hand, was a large pistol. Didn't take a genius to realize what the rusted crimson stain on the wall was supposed to be.

None of the soldiers made a noise. Pam had no doubts however, that every man was thinking the same thing. Making a mental note of where the skeleton was, Pam motioned his squad to continue moving. Nothing they could do for the poor bastard.

The second incident was much more lively.

Suddenly, Pam's radio activated.

"Echo Five Psi. Be advised, you're in the vicinity of one of the reported threats. Proceed with extreme caution."

"Acknowledged."

Deactivating the radio, Pam raised his hand in a fist, before pointing down. Without hesitation, the soldiers dropped to their stomachs, M4s and various other weapons at the ready.

Just in time too.

As the sound of tracks echoed throughout the hallway, Pam held his breath, waiting for the next robot to come around the corner. Maybe a Super Battle Droid. Maybe a Terminator.

What he didn't expect to see, was the abomination to God.

Trundling along at a leisure pace, the cylindrical green robot looked rather normal, relative to the "Mr. Gutsy" they had all seen at the brief.

And then, it hit him.

'That's a brain. That's a brain in a jar…'

"Patrol complete. Phew! No bad guys here!" The robot remarked in a happy tone.

'That's a human brain in a jar.'

As the brain cheerfully spouted out remarks about its day, the mood couldn't be any more different for the men on the ground, witnessing Frankenstein's monster; a work of science gone too far. They were so close to the damn thing, that they could see the faded out white letters and numbers on the chassis:

RB-3928

Only a few feet away, Pam's heart beat like a jackhammer. There was no reference to what this... thing could do. The two appendages it had sure looked sharp enough. Sharp enough to puncture through armor and flesh.

And then... it stopped.

'Lord. Guide me through these tumultuous times. Please Lord.'

For a split second, Pam feared that it would turn its head to them.

But as suddenly as it stopped, it resumed its journey, spouting out cheerful jargon.

Only thanks to strict discipline, and the memories of working in the Chemical Corps, that the brain in a jar was allowed to cheerfully pass by the soldiers. They didn't dare move, minutes after… it had left the sector.

Only one thought came to Pam's mind, as he continued the march towards their designated position:

'What Godforsaken world was this?'

AN: Bit of a short chapter today, but I kinda wasn't able to really sleep at all. I'll see if I can get a larger chapter for the battle.

As a note, this chapter is a bit of a subversion of what I said earlier. But here's the really nasty part about Mr. Gutsy: They're one of the few robots that have the capacity for remote link-up capability for updating orders in real time.

In other words, the US ain't doing this shit alone.

Song of the Day:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKeQNCyPBU

Chapter 4: Hostiles Inbound!
"General, all squads are in position."

For the first time in a long week, Monroe smiled. "Good. We can proceed with the sweep then."

As far as plans went, the setup had gone smoothly, more or less. A couple of close encounters, but the few bots or zombies that saw the teams were dispatched quickly. No alarms raised. Perfect.

Still, all of this revolved around the unproven variable: These "Mr. Gutsys". They would be the ones attacking from the inside, ensuring that his men wouldn't have to face down hordes of zombies, or heavily armored robots.

Fancy space-aged weapons were great and all, but how would they perform against actual combatants? That was the million dollar question. Just in case, he had ordered the Captain to equip his men with double the ammunition, as well as armor piercing bullets.

Speaking of which…

"Mr. Gutsy, are your men ready?"

"AFFIRMATIVE! ALL LOYAL UNITS HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED FOR SURPRISE ATTACKS AGAINST COMMUNIST POSITIONS! Probability of Socialist victory? 0.0075%!"

Right… when they had the chance, he was getting to the bottom of this. While he was wary of the Reds himself, based on his early years in the Army, the level of jingoism that this alternate US had was fairly disturbing.

Trying hard so as to not show his true emotions, Monroe continued.

"Have your men changed their targeting parameters?"

"INDEED! HARDENED RED FORCES HAVE BEEN GIVEN PRIORITY FOR TERMINATION!"

Looking over the room, Monroe could see the numerous radio operators, all set to give valuable info to the squads. Even now, coordinates for enemy and allied positions were being conveyed. Flexible, yet controlled. All coordinated for one goal.

Whatever happened next, Monroe knew that the Rubicon was going to be crossed. No turning back from the new age that the US was about to enter into. The fall of the Soviets, the entry into Iraq? All paled in comparison to what was the most important discovery of the 21st century.

Breathing in deeply, Monroe let himself have this brief moment of peace, before turning to the Mr. Gutsy.

"You may proceed with the attack."

Sergeant Pam's radio activated.

"All forces are a go. Repeat! You are cleared for action!"

Almost immediately, the sounds of battle started. Gunfire echoed through the corridors, breaking the hums of the generators that had been ever so present.

"Move it! Move it!" Pam ordered his men forward. "We don't have much time!"

Pam's men stomped on the metal ground, stealth exchanged for speed. They had to move quick, lest the uglies and bots were given the time to hide or regroup. Starting with what appeared to be some intense fighting in one of the barracks.

From what he could hear, the mesh of screams and growls mixed in with the unfamiliar fwoosh of something being fired. One of them fancy lasers, most likely.

Pam nodded to Private Miller, who took the flashbang from his utility belt. With a slam on the control panel, the metal door opened, the primed flashbang thrown in subsequently.

The loud thud of the flashbang announced the presence of the soldiers, who flooded into the barracks.

Only to find that their job had already been done for them.

With a screech, the last zombie collapsed to the ground, a smoking green hole melted into its torso. Even with his gas mask on, the smell of burnt rotten flesh was noticeable, making Pam slightly gag.

All the while, the robot floated triumphantly over its defeated foe, the three optics narrowing in suspicion at the presence of the new figure.

"Scanning. ID confirmed." The robot spoke before shouting at full volume again.

"GREETINGS! MY DESIGNATION IS T-8092, MR. GUTSY! I AM PLEASED TO MEET LOYAL SOLDIERS OF THE UNITED STATES ONCE AGAIN!"

All the while, Pam could see that between the rusted barrack beds, more smoke emanated from the corpses it had made. Hell, if he was seeing it correctly, one limb was sprawled on one of the beds, torn directly off by laser fire.

Suddenly, the past memory of the robot spewing quotes straight out from his grandfather's mouth, wasn't so amusing now.

At least the brain in a jar hadn't demonstrated what it was capable of.

Gulping silently, Pam drove the fear down, reverting back to what his orders were. The rest of his men were counting on him to show no visible fear.

Activating comms, the sergeant ordered his troops.

"Miller, Smith? Make sure that those zombies are dead. Double tap them if necessary. Rest of you? With me."

As the gunshots rang out in the barracks, Pam approached the robot, trying to make himself as stoic as possible.

"Mr. Gusty, you're with us." Pam sternly ordered the robot. "You'll be at the front, dealing with enemy hostiles, while we support you from the back."

"AFFIRMATIVE! KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT EM' OUT!"

'It's official. Whoever made these bots were batshit crazy.'

With the gruesome task done, the Mr. Gutsy floated out of the charnel house, and moved through the hallway with a purpose, the squad following behind it.

With the sound of their boots, more enemies emerged. Trundling from behind a corner, one of those accursed brains in a jar pointed its appendages at the group.

"Terribly sorry, but I'm going to have to kill you!"

If he had blinked, Pam would have missed the red lasers hitting the chassis of the Mr. Gutsy, which put it in a frenzy.

"DO THAT AGAIN, AND I'LL PUT MY FOOT SO FAR UP YOUR ASS, YOU'LL COUGH UP BOOT POLISH!" The Gutsy shouted, before putting three shots into its former comrade.

The first shot melted the right track, tipping the brain on its side.

The second shot partially penetrated the chassis, allowing Pam to see some sparks from the circuitry.

The third shot did it in, the brain splattering the ground in a mess of fluids, glass, and brain matter. With it, the laser fire stopped.

Pam's men could only look warily at the bot.

Then, almost like a proud puppy, the Mr. Gutsy approached the Sergeant, its optics wide with excitement.

"ANOTHER VICTORY FOR UNCLE SAM!"

"Please remain cal-"

Before the stumpy two-legged robot could continue, multiple bullets smashed into the glass head, ripping apart the delicate electronics. A small death whine emitted, before the robot joined its brothers on the ground, lifeless and still.

"I think that's the last of them." Miller spoke, slapping a new mag into his M4.

"Don't say that just yet. These models seem to be built for numbers." Pam replied back, his rifle still pointed at the wrecks. "More of these fuckers than any of the others combined."

In the short time he was here, Pam had started to pick up on a few patterns that this alternate US liked to use.

For one, the turrets, machine gun or laser, tended to be tucked behind the corners of the hallways, allowing for ambushes on unsuspecting foes. An effective tactic, but one that could be easily adapted to.

Second, while the varieties of enemies ranged widely, from soccer-shaped floating bots, to the vaguely humanoid automatons they had just dispatched, all of them tended to use red lasers that appeared to not hit as hard as the Mr. Gutsy did.

"EXCELLENT WORK! THAT'S HOW WE DO THINGS IN THE US ARMY, HOORAH!"

"Certainly, Mr. Gusty. Now, move up! We got more commies to kill!" Pam said entertaining the notion that he truly believed the propaganda the floating tin can was spouting out. Leading to the third lesson:

The targeting programs for the bots seemed to prioritize the Mr. Gutsy, rather than the soldiers behind it, allowing for them to fire with impunity.

All of which culminated in battle damage on their figurative and literal shield. Dents in the metal chassis were visible, complemented by scorch marks as well. Harder for the RnD boys to study, but the General told them it was allowed. After all, fleshy humans were harder to repair.

As the Mr. Gutsy led the charge, spouting more jingoistic quotes, Private Martinez couldn't help but move up next to the Sergeant.

"Sir… should we really be encouraging the bot with that sort of language?" Martinez quietly asked, a wary look on his face. "I mean… what happens if it gets a look at something it finds communist? Rock and roll? Equal rights? We could have a shitstorm on our hands."

"That's something the eggheads will have to deal with." Pam gruffly replied back, resuming the advance. "Right now, I'm just gla-"

The radio in Pam's helmet screeched to life.

"This is Panther Five Bravo! Heavy resistance in Sector 8! Are there any assets that can provide support?! Over!"

Pam mentally checked the unit's location, before responding.

"This is Echo Five Psi! Moving to your location! Out!"

With that, Sergeant Pam and his men quickened their pace, running towards Sector 8.

At first, there wasn't any indication of the troubles that were being reported. Then, a loud noise echoed through the hallways, sounding as though as if someone was ripping cloth.

'Oh crap.'

As Pam's stomach dropped, he was praying fruitlessly that what he was hearing wasn't the sound of a machine gun. One with a high rate of fire.

As they passed by the corpses of fallen foes, flesh and metal, Pam's hope became ever so slimmer, the sound of ripping cloth interrupted by the sound of an explosion. A sound that was uncomfortably close.

"Please tell me that wasn't what I just heard…"

"You weren't hearing things. We got a dumbfuck using explosives…"

Finally approaching Sector 8, the roar of combat became audible, the overzealous bot eager to do battle. Without hesitation, it turned the corner.

"THIS WILL BE A PERSONAL FAVOR T-"

The explosion that followed interrupted whatever the Gutsy was about to say. As well as its life. Scrap metal flew through the air, hitting the wall in front of it.

"Status report: yellow. Primary systems have sustained significant damage. Reinforcement recommended."

A figure turned the corner, and Pam quickly swore.

It was big. Bigger than anything else that they had encountered. Barely fitting in the hallway, it seemed to have troubles navigating. But where it lacked mobility, it made up for in armor. From this distance, the partially melted chestpiece didn't seem to be hampering its operation.

Particularly, the bright orange minigun that was whirring to life in its arm.

His eyes widening behind the gas mask, Pam bellowed out to his squad.

"Take cover!"

Without hesitation, the men scrambled to get into the side corridors. Three men were a tad too late.

The minigun roared to life, bullets planting themselves into the men.

"AHHHHHHH!" Private Miller screamed out on the floor, writhing in agony. Shamus was deadly silent.

'SHIT!'

"Smith, get a smoke down, now!" Pam ordered the private before activating comms. "This is Echo Five Psi! Multiple casualties in Sector 8! Is there any unit that can provide support?!"

"Echo Five Psi, this is Lima Five Gamma. We're near your location! Sit tight!"

As the smoke filled the hallways, Pam could hear the accursed bot speak.

"Alert: Enemy hostiles have deployed smoke. Suppression Fire Protocol engaged."

As the bullets continued to puncture the smoke screen, Pam used the opportunity to pull Miller to cover. With swift hands, he tore off Miller's kevlar vest, as well as removing his shirt. But as soon as he saw the wounds, he wished he hadn't.

Amidst the screams, Pam could see that the bullets had pierced the kevlar with ease, turning Miller's stomach into a mess of blood and shredded guts. Pam glanced to see McNeil lying against the wall, their medic putting a tourniquet around the bloody leg. No IFAK was going to be able to patch this up.

"Hernandez! Morphine!"

As the Corporal administered the syrette to Miller, Pam resumed fire down range, already having switched to armor piercing bullets. Not like it would do anything, judging by the troubles the previous squad had.

If the screams were bad, the sobs were even worse. Miller, someone who was as cold as ice, was now crying out for someone, anyone to help him. Pam shared the grim look on Hernandez's face. Without immediate treatment, all they were doing was delaying the inevitable.

It would have to take a God-given miracle for Miller to survive.

"Over there! I can see them!" A voice cried out from across the hallway, followed by an enraged voice.

"THEY DARE HARM A US SOLDIER?! WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE THE ANGER I FEEL RIGHT NOW!"

Pam looked up, relieved at the reinforcements that he requested. The Mr. Gutsy bellowed out messages of revenge, as it blindly shot through the smoke screen.

"Gretsky, good to see you."

"Could've been under better conditions, but shit…" Gretsky could only look at the mortally wounded Miller. "How bad?"

"Even with a doc, I don't know."

Gretsky stared at Miller for a moment, before a sigh emanated from his mask.

"God damnit… Moore, get over here!"

Pam recognized the small figure as Gretsky's field medic. What was different, was the giant syringe in his hands. A circular display was at the top, almost like a pressure gauge. It certainly wasn't anything from them, judging by the rust covering the syringe.

"Let's hope the tin can was right about this…" Moore muttered, before injecting the syringe into Miller's wounds. A pneumatic hiss could be heard, as the contents entered Miller's body.

For a moment, nothing happened.

And then, that miracle they needed happened in real time.

Pam could only look on in shock, as the guts seemed to grow back before their eyes. Second by second, Miller's wounds continued to grow smaller and smaller, until the bloody bullets clinked onto the ground, pushed out by the newly grown baby pink skin. The cries died out, as Miller slowly patted at his stomach with wonder.

"Thank fuck that tin can wasn't talking out of its ass." Moore said in relief, observing the used syringe with a new eye.

High on adrenaline, Pam couldn't help but feel a rollercoaster of emotions. The regret of losing a soldier was in stark contrast to the miracle he had just seen. As if to emphasize that disparity, the large bot's voice echoed out, distortions in its voice.

"Status report: red. Primary system failure immin-"

*BOOM*

If the explosion from before had been big, this one sent shockwaves through the hallways, staggering some of the men.

For a moment, there was silence.

And then… Pam's radio finally opened up. All to repeat a single message:

"To all squads… Floor Five has been cleared. I repeat… Floor Five has been cleared of all enemy hostiles!"

AN: Even with the help of the Gutsys as fire support and meat shields, it was inevitable that the US would suffer casualties. As it stands, these robots are some of the most dangerous you can ever face in the Wasteland, a skirmish being a suicidal action. Only thanks to the plasma weapons the Gutsys have, as well as the US army's organization, were they able to get through this with such low casualties.

Next chapter will be detailing the aftermath, as well as the implications of what Monroe sees in the computer terminals.

Song of the Day:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_Lzh_S-2c

Chapter 5: The Aftermath
8 HOURS LATER…

As the lights flickered in and out, the creature squeezed its way through the crack in the metal wall, landing on the ground without trouble. Utilizing its antennas, it skittered across the ground, the faint smell guiding it to sustenance. Salty and sweet, if one were to taste the two hundred year old can of meat.

Finally on top of the desk, the mandibles were about to finally shove the pieces of meat into its mouth, before a faint voice yelled out.

"A really big fucking hole, coming right up!"

With that, the metal blast door lit up brightly, as the metal oxide and powder reacted with the fuel. Eating into the steel itself, the two sparks proceeded down, before joining together at the bottom.

One swift kick and the room was exposed to the outer world for the first time in two centuries.

"Flash out!"

Which was immediately followed by a flashbang, forcing the mutated cockroach to scurry back where it came from.

Two soldiers simultaneously entered into the room, each moving to one of the two corners, scanning the room for hostiles. No movement whatsoever. The third and fourth soldiers moved in to support the first two. With no resistance, the rest of the squad flooded in, securing the initial positions. In short, nothing was in the room.

Well… except for the mummified corpse, slumped over in its chair, the computer terminal still humming with power.

"Clear!"

As the rest of the team moved in, the first two soldiers approached the corpse with caution, the zombies from earlier still present in their minds. A quick poke with the rifle, and all concerns were forgotten.

It was at this point that the soldiers noted the unique clothing the corpse was wearing. Rather than the olive green BDU that most of the zombies were wearing, this corpse had a thick overcoat. The glint of metal drew the corporal's attention. Narrowing his eyes, the corporal opened the pocket in the breast sleeve, before fishing out the metallic card.

A brief glance was all it took before the corporal activated his radio.

"Menace Three Romeo to TOC. We've found the base CO. May want a gas mask however." The corporal said, before noticing the space age weapon in the corpse's hand. "Get one of the collection teams in here as well."

It didn't take long before the collection teams started to move through the levels.

As far as the Federal Government was concerned, the robot had simply been the tip of the iceberg. Ranging from laser weapons, to advanced robotics, this base from an alternate reality was a goldmine in technology. One that would allow the US to maintain its status as a superpower, well into the 22nd Century.

And so… the orders were sent. Collection teams, clad in radiation suits, scoured the rooms for anything of value. Energy weapons, batteries, robot wrecks, medicine? All were gathered and collected into specialized containers, all to be transported back across the portal.

Unfortunately, that also meant collecting items of interest, so as to get a better understanding of this alternate reality.

Such as the remains of those melted by the energy weapons.

As the collection team carefully swept the glowing goo into the lead-lined container nearby, Monroe couldn't help but have the shivers. For as much as bullets could do terrible damage, there was always a certain familiarity to be found in them.

These new energy weapons… were unlike anything that the US had been able to develop. Not energy hogs that could only blind, but true weapons that were capable of melting an entire man down into goop. Monroe figured that sort of energy could cook off a BMP with a well-placed shot, not to mention the psychological effect the weapon would have.

One thing to see a man go down. Another thing to see that same man be reduced to ashes.

Exiting out of the field hospital, Monroe directed his attention away from the laser weapon subject. At the very least, only the good guys would have the beams of light. Alongside what was an unexpected development.

"And you're certain there haven't been any side effects? No tumors, nothing?"

"There are some concerns if the patient has a heart condition, but aside from that? Nothing! All the cells seem to be perfectly differentiated!" Dr. Haville answered excitedly. "We'll keep them in observation at Nellis for the next week or so, but overall, they seem to have fully recovered! I mean… stem cell growth isn't a foreign concept to us, but to have them react this quickly…"

"I'm just glad those boys are alright." Monroe spoke before letting out a resigned sigh. "Less letters to write."

The mention of the casualties put a damper on the mood, with Haville's face turning somber.

"True to that. We can't even send the bodies for burial."

The frown on Monroe's face deepend. Six Letters. Six deaths in unknown territory. If it weren't for this miracle medicine, and the help of those Mr. Gutsys, the casualties could have been even higher.

And that was the crux of the lies he had to make. Operation Prometheus couldn't be revealed at this time. Not a single hint given out, such as bullet wounds. Rather than being hailed as heroes that had made the ultimate sacrifice, they would simply be casualties in an accident. No bodies to recover.

General Monroe had many traits, but being a good liar wasn't one of them.

But that burden was for future Monroe. Right now, he had to ensure the rest of the men didn't suffer the same fate.

Thanking Haville for her team's efforts, Monroe continued down the hallway. Already, a strong presence had been established. Sentries patrolled the narrow hallways, in case of any unexpected hostiles that hadn't been cleared in the initial sweep. More noticable, were the numerous body bags being carried out by the collection teams.

Another problem that had made itself apparent after the dust settled. Monroe wasn't sure how the bodies would even be processed. Dog tags present, yet no records for any of the names. Ghost personnel, effectively.

With the amount of radiation emanating from some of the zombie corpses, Monroe had a solid hunch that the corpses would be unceremoniously dumped into lead-lined caskets, followed by concrete. An unfitting end for those who had served the United States, alternate reality be damned.

Turning the corner, Monroe found himself at the entrance of the initial staging point. Alongside the two guards, were two of the remaining Mr. Gutsys, who had suffered the brunt of the casualties.

"GREETINGS, GENERAL MONROE!" One of the Gutsys yelled out. Evidently, the guards had been at this for quite a while, as they barely flinched. "ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE US ARMY!"

"Indeed it is." Monroe replied back. "Now, if you would kindly let me in?"

"AFFIRMATIVE!"

With surprising dexterity, one of the Gutsys used its appendage to open the gigantic blast door, the gears and cogs visibility shifting to let the two parts open up.

"FAREWELL, GENERAL! AND IF YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH ANY MORE COMMIE SCUM, YOU KNOW JUST WHERE TO FIND US!"

"Certainly." Monroe replied back.

'Damn things are going to have to be reprogrammed entirely if we're to start fielding them.'

As it stood, while the Gutsys would be vital for retaking the remaining floors, the vast majority would be heading back to Nellis to be shut down and researched. Let RnD use their knowhow to make inroads into how they worked. Hopefully, newer models would be built that didn't scream PR nightmare.

Heading in, Monroe saw that the room was bustling with activity. Forklifts moved to and fro from the portal, crates and packages being dropped off in the available space to the side. Radio operators in their makeshift camp relayed and received info from the squads.

And in the middle, Captain Graves and several analysts looked over the holographic map. Looking up from the map, Graves gestured Monroe over.

"General, good to see you. How are the men holding up?"

"Quite well, to be honest. Still kind of in awe that they're still alive, but I can feel some guilt coming from them. We lost some good men out there."

Graves sighed. "That's to be expected. I'll call them up and try to keep their heads on straight. It's not their fault that this base is filled with bullshit. We'll grieve when this entire facility is cleared."

"With any luck, we won't have any more casualties, if this new strategy works out." Monroe replied, gesturing towards the supply dump accumulating at record's pace.

"I've seen the contents. Barretts and SLAP rounds. Those should definitely make short work of those heavy fuckers. And I presume we let them come to us?"

"Correct." Monroe stated. "Originally, I was under the assumption that we would be fighting some intelligent enemies, not mindless zombies and robots trapped by programming."

Pointing to the upper floors, Monroe continued. "We let the bots lure the hostiles into set killzones. Anything that's trapped or stationary, we let them take care of it. UGVs should confirm the kills, allowing us to move up, sector by sector. That way, we don't lose men to the remaining security."

"Sounds good. Although…" Graves paused for a moment. "The brass are alright trashing these tin cans? My boys sure have a grudge now, and they won't hesitate."

"We already have those Mr. Gutsys. The rest are far too dangerous to subdue. And some are better off being forgotten…" Monroe trailed off, not needing to explain.

Even though he was only able to see the remains, it was a nasty shock to see Robocop becoming a reality. Alongside the rabid anti-communist rhetoric, Monroe was starting to get the idea that this US had gone down a very different path.

No matter what, using live human brains simply wasn't what the US Army was willing to do to achieve victory.

Graves shivered in disgust. "Amen to that. Putting them down was a mercy. Don't know what kinda shrooms they were smoking when they deployed those abominations."

"If we can find the base CO, we'll be able to get some answers. Although… that seems to be highly unlikely, considering the conditions here…"

It was at this point that fate would come into play.

"General!" One of the radio operators approached the table. "Urgent message from one of the squads in Sector 4!"

"Spit it out. What is it?"

"We've found the base CO."

"What the fuck happened here?"

"Not sure. Whatever was going on, the troops weren't pleased."

"Kind of an understatement. Looks like they wanted to bash his skull in." Monroe muttered through the gas mask, observing the scene before him.

Monroe was thankful that the collection team had left the bodies where they were, because the picture that was being depicted wasn't pretty.

The bones of a dozen or so soldiers lay at the entrance, all of them wielding a variety of weapons, ranging from laser pistols to assault rifles. All of whom had directed their weapons against the blast door.

Dents and burns were apparent, futile efforts to breach the entrance. And from what the initial team had said, more of those zombies had been concentrated here than any other section.

Carefully navigating through the remains, Monroe entered the opening that the breach team had made. Captain Graves and a small detachment followed through. Glancing to the side, Monroe grimaced at the mummified remains of the commander lying on the ground.

"Cause of death?"

"Suicide." Corporal Ramirez replied, gesturing at the space-age weapon besides the corpse. "Cooked his brains, from the looks of it. And he had this on him." Ramirez spoke, before handing Monroe a metal card. A card with arrows pointing to the etched words:

THIS SIDE HERE

Two and two were put together, with the conspicuous slot next to the bulky computer terminal.

Taking the card, Monroe stood before the computer terminal, not bothering to sit in a dead man's chair. In front of him, the computer looked like something out of his teenage years, a stark contrast to the technology that was on display..

Five green words were displayed on the screen:

INSERT ID CARD TO PROCEED

Slowly, Monroe inserted the metal card into the slot.

PROCESSING…

WELCOME, COLONEL BROOKS

Five sentences popped up, the top one being called the 'Purge Protocol'.

But that wasn't what Monroe was paying attention to, as a sharp intake of breath could be heard from behind his gasmask.

"Son of a bitch…"

Instead, it was the top of the screen that caught his eye.

ROBCO INDUSTRIES UNIFIED OPERATING SYSTEM

COPYRIGHT 2075-2077

Song of the Day:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rq0rol9Kyk

September 3, 2078
September 3, 2078

Those traitors! Those fucking traitors are plotting to fucking rise up against me. ME!

I'm the one that saved them, and this is how they repay me?!

I knew that limp-dicked Corporal was up to no good! Should have executed him when the dirty Reds dropped the bombs.

How should I have known that the fucking Chinese would be dumb enough to launch the nukes?! High Command told us that our boys would be moving up on their little rat caves in Beijing, waiting for the end! Dirty chinks shouldn't have had the balls to launch the nukes.

But what's past is past. Calm yourself, Brooks. Gotta make some hard decisions now.

Something got into the systems, and used the defenses to shoot down the nukes somewhere else. Don't know what it was, but right now, the rads up top can cook a man alive. Base's emergency lockdown can't be deactivated. Not until the rads are down to a safe degree.

The trouble is that we don't have much food left. Water is still plentiful, but we only have a month's food left. Two if we decide to cut the preexisting rations in half.

This fucking job was supposed to a dead-end job! A little bit of money didn't do anyone harm.

….

FUCK!

If we don't take drastic actions now, this base will become a tomb, either by famine or by that treasonous Johnson!

Wait a moment... I can deal with two birds with one stone...

I'm a fucking genius! The Purge Protocol will allow the bots to target those bastards while they're sleeping. Johnson doesn't know that I know that he's been plotting a mutiny.

Use the Purge Protocol, deal with Johnson, and the rest will have to obey my orders!

Bonus is that we'll have enough food to allow the radiation to fall to safe levels. Enough that we can use the bots to establish control of the surrounding areas. Allow Uncle Sam a base of operations to retake the US!

I'll wait for when they're asleep. Notify the men who are loyal to me to be prepared.

We'll have beat the Reds at their own fucking game.

Colonel Brooks out!

Thanks for good story! but why they want to reprogram Gutsy? he seems fine to me ! ;)

Another thing - saving Fallaout America is ,of course,important - but,taking their technology to MADE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN is more important for any President of modern USA.
And effect of modern USA with future technology is,i think,more interesting to tell then fighting zombies in future world.

I cannot wait to see what sort of reaction the President and the soldiers will have to finding out this alternative reality's America was nuked to the Stone Age by China. Maybe some of them might start believing the anti-communist jargon the Mr. Gutsies are spewing non-stop?

Last edited:
I cannot wait to see what sort of reaction the President and the soldiers will have to finding out this alternative reality's America was nuked to the Stone Age by China. Maybe some of them might start believing the anti-communist jargon the Mr. Gutsies are spewing non-stop?
Not quite stone age,people there still use rifles.But - you are right,they probably start shitting bricks thinking about coming war,and maybe even start it before China could burn them.
In 2020 China had less then 500 H bombs after all,and less missiles to deliver.War would cripple USA,but destroyed China.

Chapter 6: Protocol Five-Eight
NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE

TWO DAYS LATER…

While Luchart's office wasn't the most secure location, it was good enough to inform the rest about the new information. One away from prying eyes and ears, with jammers in place. A location where the record logs and recordings of an alternative reality could be safely revealed.

As Monroe let the others listen to the recording, there was only one silver lining that made this absolute clusterfuck a bit more manageable. One that Captain Torres, the Air Force representative, pointed out.

"So we're not going to be erased out of existence, because we fucked with the timeline?"

A few chuckles of amusement were let out, as the Gutsy finally finished with its rant. Something about President McCarthy being a national hero.

"Quite so. Seems this portal leads to an alternate future, rather than ours. I don't think the Soviet Union would be so willing to unite again under any circumstances."

"Also pretty damn sure that McCarthy wouldn't have been able to pull the amount of shit here, if that was even possible." Luchart replied, observing a map of the United States. "Still… that leaves us in a bit of a conundrum."

"Full-on nuclear war." Captain Barlowe, the Marine representative, gruffly stated. "One with the Chinese, of all enemies."

"A war that has long to come to pass, if the chronometers from that tin can are correct." Graves spoke. "At least more than a century old, before the instruments died out. Whatever happened out there, both parties managed to nuke each other back into the Stone Age. The radiation levels in the last log were reported to cook a man alive."

"So any year beyond 2177. Not a good look if a military installation like this was abandoned all these years later." Barlowe pointed to Nevada. "If the portal is close to where we are, then the West Coast must have taken the full brunt of the attack. Barely any warnings whatsoever."

"Agreed. We won't know until we breach the surface. But suffice it to say, the prognosis doesn't look too good." Monroe said, bringing out a large folder, filled to the brim with paper. "I went through some old Cold War documents, as well as some of what the scientists are saying right now. It ain't pretty."

As Monroe detailed the implications of what could have happened, the mood of the room turned increasingly grim. And he couldn't blame them.

Nuclear War wasn't a foreign concept, not by a longshot. Each branch had their own protocols in the event of a nuclear war. But those protocols had never been tested, for obvious reasons.

Amidst the statistics, ranging from calories per person to radiation levels, the end message was painfully clear. From the shockwaves, to the rads, the Earth would simply be inhospitable to life during the initial weeks. And if that didn't do the survivors in, the subsequent nuclear winter would finish off the rest.

What was once theoretical, was now their only source as to what would be on the surface.

Well… not everything.

"On the bright side, radiation should have decayed to a safe level." Torres murmured, before realizing most of them were looking at her. "Isotopes from typical nuclear warheads aren't the same as the ones in Chernobyl or Fukushima. They tend to decay pretty quickly, around about a few weeks."

"Would be ill advised, but you could probably walk out there and not keel over any time soon." Luchart added on. "But even if conditions are survivable, it doesn't solve the major issue about what's going on the surface. For all we know, the US government is a defunct entity. Less rule of law, and more Mad Max."

"I wouldn't be so sure."

Monroe glanced at the figure to the far left of the table, who had decided to speak at last.

Agent 'Cross', on first look, was an unassuming person. A gaunt face, Cross wore a black suit with a white cotton dress shirt, the role of a businessman complete with a black tie. Overall, somebody who didn't belong in this room, filled with military personnel.

Then again, being invisible was part of the CIA's job.

"What makes you say that?" Barlowe asked. "As I've previously said, the US Government would be quick to reclaim such key facilities if they still existed."

"Not quite." Cross stated calmly. "You would think that such bases would be invaluable, with their ability to deal with incoming missiles…"

"Colonel Brooks can't be considered a reliable standard of such officers there." Graves argued back. "Hell! He would have been thrown out with the way he treats his subordinates!"

"Fair enough. But all the other pieces of information paint an accurate picture of this America's goals." Cross reached into his pocket, rolling out a miniature map of China.

"If there's one fact that I know about the Chinese, it's that they have never forgotten about the Century of Humiliation. It's what has guided their policies ever since. Any invasion of the mainland would be extremely difficult, if not impossible."

Monroe could see where Cross was going with this. "And because the US has managed to reach Beijing, this US may not even be prioritizing defending their skies. Less resources in maintaining such defenses, and more into the invasion."

"Besides, in their minds, they've already won." Cross chuckled darkly. "Why should they be afraid of an inferior enemy who's now on their last legs?"

Monroe, at this point, could only breathe in deeply, trying to contain the anger boiling over. "Fucking idiots too high on their own kool aid." He muttered under his own breath.

The Nazis had done the same thing for the Soviets, considering them "subhuman". Evidently, the US had devolved into the same rhetoric, forgetting that the Chinese were just as capable of a fighting force.

"And it doesn't take into account the main reason why they're still around: the portal." Cross coolly stated. "Something, or someone was capable of achieving a feat that was previously considered in the realms of science fiction. I'm going out on a limb here, but only the government would have the resources for this, especially in a wasteland."

"But that brings us to the million-dollar question…" Graves said, his eyes going East of the Rocky Mountains. "If the US government there is still active, do we even attempt communications? I mean... this is an America that's become a rabidly anti-communist state. They're so paranoid, that they have fucking protocols to purge entire bases, if they even have the whiff of a rebellion! They may simply shoot first, and ask questions later."

The mention of the "Purge Protocol" made the mood even colder than it previously was. Suffice it to say, the terminal that held that command had been locked down immediately, leaving only questions.

Questions about where this US had gone wrong, for example.

"Beliefs or not. They have no choice." Cross replied. "As Colonel Luchart said earlier, we'll be in an environment where the US has no monopoly on violence. Even if they have advanced technology, they won't have the infrastructure or industry necessary to rebuild America. They need us."

With that, the discussion turned to potential locations where the US remnants could be stationed at, accounting for a century's worth of attrition. Cheyenne, Raven Rock, even the decommissioned Greenbrier Bunker were all considered. All leading to the same exact issue with such locations.

"We'll simply have to deal with the logistics of each location, when we breach the surface." Monroe interrupted the argument brewing over.

"With access to the late Colonel's computer, clearing the facility will be easier, but it will still take time. We'll talk about this when definitive control has been established. Any questions?" Silence greeted Monroe. "Dismissed."

The head figures of each branch started to exit the office.

All except for one.

"General, if you don't mind?" Cross finally stood up, with only Luchart and Monroe still remaining.

"Certainly, Cross." Monroe warily stated. "What is it that you want to talk about?"

While part of the same team, Monroe wasn't comfortable dealing with the CIA. Maybe it was the clandestine operations they performed. Maybe it was the double faces and lies they had in spades. Whatever the case, the CIA wasn't like any of the other branches of Operation Prometheus.

"It's about our potential contact with this alternate US government. More specifically, our response to them."

Monroe looked at Luchart for a moment, before responding. "And what's the CIA's view?"

"While we are interested in establishing contact… it's not for the typical reasons." Cross looked left and right, as though there was the possibility of a leak. "Our analysts have been looking over the logs and recordings that you sent us. And while we may not say it, Captain Graves's view is in line with our conclusions."

"That is… this US government may be a hostile entity?"

"Kind of surprising, considering the anti-commie messaging." Luchart added.

"Communism was the enemy in the twentieth century. Our goals and adversaries have changed since." Cross defended his position. "Simply put, this US may as well be a different country entirely. One that will be extremely hostile to any state that even tolerates left-wing policies. Paranoid to a degree that is unprecedented, to say the least. And they have access to a powerful weapon."

"The portal, I presume?"

"Correct. This portal may be an automated response, judging by the robots. But we cannot predict if the portal will be shut down, or worse, appear in a public space."

Monroe could feel the chill down his spine, as he imagined that possibility. It was only dumb luck that it had appeared in a cave, of all places. Even with that condition, the zombies and robots had posed a significant threat to the base personnel.

What an intelligent enemy could do in a populated space, was a horrifying proposition.

Paranoia that bordered on insane levels, combined with access to a superweapon, was a potent combination.

"As such, the Director has told us to give you the option to enact Protocol Five-Eight, in the event we make first contact." Cross breathed in, preparing for what he was about to say.

"If this alternate US is a threat to the security of the United States, we are to liquidate all enemy personnel involved in the portal project."

'Holy shit.'

"That is… unprecedented." Luchart answered slowly, processing what Cross had said. "I mean… killing everyone? Seems a bit too far."

"Also means losing access to interdimensional travel." Monroe added, a deep frown evident on his face. "Not to mention, a breach in trust with those who have survived the worst. Does the President know?"

Backstabbing the people who had gained their trust? It simply wasn't right.

"Matter of fact, the President has given you authorization to enact Protocol Five-Eight." Cross reached into his pocket, before giving Monroe a sealed envelope, one with the Presidential Stamp.

"As I've said earlier. This is simply an option. We may not have to conduct Protocol Five-Eight, if they are willing to work with us." Cross stood up, ready to exit the room. "But in the case of hostile actions, you won't have to wait."

His message delivered, Agent Cross left the office, leaving the two men stewing in their thoughts.

Song of the Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNOz-HkoOM

That is what leftist president would do.If he could not control other USA,he must destroy it.
Now,it would be funny if they and Enclave wiped each other.

Last edited:
I hope you update here or on SV or AO3, as all seem to be lagging behind the SB thread.
At least stick with one fully updated site other than SB.

I know it's a ghost town here, it's because 90% QQ readers don't check the SFW Creative Writing, so if you wanted to cheat and post in NSFW despite having no intention of writing smut, you can do that, as many others do.

I hope you update here or on SV or AO3, as all seem to be lagging behind the SB thread.
At least stick with one fully updated site other than SB.

I know it's a ghost town here, it's because 90% QQ readers don't check the SFW Creative Writing, so if you wanted to cheat and post in NSFW despite having no intention of writing smut, you can do that, as many others do.

Fair enough. But I've seen the reactions that people have about authors cheating on the NSFW writing section, and I'm pretty sure that I can't write smut AT ALL. Maybe a few omakes, but that's it.

Anyways...

Chapter 7: D-Day
FOUR WEEKS…

LEVEL 3

"Drop him!"

Without hesitation, the Barretts sang their symphony, each bullet traveling through the air at over twice the speed of sound. Paired with a Raufoss 211 round, complete with a tungsten penetrator core, there were few things that could hold up to such a round.

Fortunately, the bulky robot, the type that had caused the first casualties, wasn't one of those enemies.

"Warning! Enemy hostiles inbou-"

Whatever drivel the "Big Boy" was about to say was cut off, as the explosives in the bullets detonated, destroying whatever systems that allowed it to work. Silence was left in the firing squad's wake.

At the end of the hallway, the "Big Boy" joined his comrades, lifeless and still. From the bots that waddled like ducklings, to those zombies, the impromptu mass grave was piling up at a constant rate.

All thanks to the Mr. Gutsy, who was waving one of its appendages at the squad.

"Nicely done to you, Mr. Gutsy! Bring out the next one!" Sergeant Polansky yelled out.

"CERTAINLY! THESE COMMIE BASTARDS WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT THEM! COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!"

The Gutsy floated off, ready to taunt the next robot into the firing squad's view.

Putting down his binoculars, Private Loyd squinted his eyes behind his gas mask.

"Gotta say. I didn't think these bots would be this dumb. I mean, they got to realize that something's happening to their buddies."

"I could not give less of a shit, Loyd." Corporal Tanner muttered, putting into place a fresh magazine. "The sooner we deal with these bots, the sooner we get some grub back at Nellis. That's gourmet food right there."

"Amen to that." Private First Class Holloway replied, doing the same with his rifle. "Besides, it's good target practice. Especially when you can hear the damn things coming a mile away."

"You can all talk later!" Polansky interrupted the discussion. "Right now, we still have more hostiles to clear out in this sector. Here's the next one. Get ready…"

The discussion quieted down, as the snipers aimed down the hallway, waiting for their next victim. A process that was being repeated throughout Level 3. If the Gutsys didn't miscount, this level would be entirely cleared of all the bad guys.

All in a day's work for the Chemical Corps.

THREE WEEKS…

LEVEL 4

Just his luck that he was on cleaning duty.

Private Howard grumbled under his breath, as he aimed the power washer at the dried blood and guts on the ground, ready to be swept up soon after.

He could have been part of the sweeping teams dealing with the zombies on level one. But no… he just had the shittiest luck to deal with the aftermath. For once, he was grateful for the gas mask, because the smell of rehydrated blood and guts wasn't one he was eager to smell.

Another bed frame here, that wall over there, Howard couldn't believe the amount of death that had occurred. From what the Brass said, the lunatic in charge had decided that the best way to deal with a food shortage was to kill off everyone in their sleep.

And most of the barracks were on Level 4.

Yippee ki-yay.

Still… it wasn't all bad.

"ALRIGHT YOU MAGGOTS! I WANT THIS ROOM SHINING LIKE LADY LIBERTY HERSELF!"

The Mr. Gutsy, unlike its counterparts, only had one of its appendages still attached. Not combat worthy by any measures.

And so, T-9023 had been assigned to Howard's squad, to take some of the burden off the cleaning squad, capable of holding the water tank easily. The over-the-top propaganda straight out of his granddad's mouth was a bonus.

"Sir yes sir!" Every member bellowed out, with varying degrees of enthusiasm.
"THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO HEAR! The robot said, seemingly ignoring the tone of several soldiers. "KEEP IT UP!"

As the Mr. Gutsy floated off to yell at some other poor sap, Howard let out a small smile. While he wasn't seeing action, that tin can reinforced the fact that this was his life now; a soldier in an alternate future reality, with robots from the Jetsons floating around and about.

A sudden clink shook Howard out of his thoughts. Turning off the stream, Howard looked under the bed frame.

'What the hell?'

Apparently, the collection teams weren't thorough, because lying on its side was a glass bottle of soda. Flushed with caramel liquid, it almost looked like one of those Mexican Cokes, down to the bright red label.

Except instead of Coca-Cola, a different name was printed on.

"Nuka-Cola…" Howard muttered, grabbing the bottle gently, turning it over to see the nutrition label. One that seemed to be rather empty. "120% of the daily sugar needed…"

"Which is just one of the reasons why you shouldn't be drinking any of that."

With a sheepish chuckle, Howard turned to see Corporal Reynard, who didn't look so pleased.

"Corporal! I was just about to hand this to you…"

"Uh-huh." Reynard didn't seem so convinced. "Just hand over the soda. Besides, I'm pretty sure you would keel over from drinking that century-old shit."

With a sigh, Howard handed the bottle to Reynard, before going back to washing underneath the bed frames.

Even in an alternate reality, cleaning duty sucked.

TWO WEEKS…

LEVEL 1

New Year's had come and gone without any fanfare. Letters to loved ones were carefully analyzed by the censors, with no indications of what was going on at Nellis. "Training exercise" that would be ongoing for a good while, was the excuse.

Most importantly, no presents, no gifts from loved ones. Just plain hard work, clearing out God knows how many zombies and tin cans. Not even a crappy fruit cake to share amongst the family.

But as far as gifts went, this came close.

"Gotta admit. Even if they were batshit insane, this US can definitely build stuff to last." Monroe said, looking at the gigantic blast door, leading to the outside world. Well… not exactly. According to the late Colonel's logs, an isolation chamber ensured another degree of separation, but that was simply semantics.

"Over a century old, and not a single bit of radiation detected anywhere. Probably wouldn't deal with a direct hit, but it's done its job well." Luchart commented, taking a good sip from the coffee mug in his hand.

After weeks of testing, it seemed that the base had been cleared of whatever that "Purge Protocol" had released decades ago, meaning that CBRN measures weren't required.

A welcome relief for the Army Corps of Engineers.

Surrounding the steel hallways, and around the blast door, work teams coordinated with one another, laboring to get the base back into a livable condition. Rusted guardrails were replaced, while sections of the metal hallways were welded back together. Section by section, piece by piece, the facility was slowly turning back the march of time.

Unfortunately there was one factor that couldn't be handled by the engineers.

"Those turrets are going to be a pain in the ass to disassemble." Luchart said, observing as the teams slowly took apart turrets. Exposed wires were unplugged from their sockets, while the inner electronic components were carefully removed, all to be packed up for study. "You're certain you want them removed?"

"Absolutely." Monroe stated. "They may be deactivated, but anyone technically competent could easily turn them on us."

"Fair enough. But we probably won't be seeing many of these types of defenses out there." Luchart gestured to the blast door. "We'll be dismantling the few working models, meaning less of a chance of getting these out soon."

"Makes sense, but I prefer to be safe than sorry." Monroe spoke. "The late Colonel was a stupid son of a bitch, but better him than us."

"Indeed it is." Luchart taking another sip. "Indeed it is."

ONE WEEK…

LEVEL 2

In the modified communications hub, Specialist Warren listened to the broadcast before informing his commanding officer. It didn't take long before the General was present.

"General?" The radio operator offered Monroe his headset. "You may want to hear this."

Monroe's eyebrows raised in suspicion. "We've picked up a signal? I thought all we were getting was static."

"That was the case. We're likely too far away from any broadcasts, so we decided to switch to Ultra-Low Frequency, and well…" Warren tapered off, trying to find the right words "It's not what we expected."

Warren now had Monroe's full attention. Most radios weren't equipped to even receive ULF. As a result, ULF had been used primarily for secure military communications. For a broadcast to still be working all these decades later, was noteworthy by itself.

Putting the headset on, Monroe anticipated having to listen to the last words of dead men, trying to coordinate the last orders they would ever make.

Instead, he heard a smooth and velvety voice.

"Has your life taken a turn?" The woman's voice asked, a stringed instrument playing in the background. "Do troubles beset you? Has fortune left you behind? If so, the Sierra Madre Casino, in all its glory, is inviting you to begin again…"

The woman continued, waxing on about this Sierra Madre Casino, as if it was a second chance for any person down on their luck. Monroe swore he had heard this same pitch from one of the casinos in Vegas. The really crappy casinos, to be more specific.

"So if life's worries have weighed you down, if you need an escape from your troubles, or if you just need an opportunity to begin again…" The woman paused for a moment, as if to let the listener digest what she was saying.

"Join us, let go, and leave the world behind at the Sierra Madre Grand Opening this October… We'll be waiting."

October had been when the bombs had dropped, according to the logs.

"Orders?" Warren asked, as Monroe put the headset off.

"Try to isolate the broadcast, and see if we can get a location." Monroe ordered. "Maybe it's a bunch of ruins, but the fact that there's a radio broadcast existing means that it wasn't hit by the nukes. Good work. See if we can find more of these types of broadcasts."

With that, the 479.14Hz ULF radio signal was recorded.

It would be the first of many.

D-DAY

LEVEL 1

After weeks of preparation. It was time.

Standing ramrod straight, the men of the 2nd Chemical Battalion stood alongside their comrades from the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force. All covered head to toe in MOPP 4 gear, ready for anything that the outside wasteland could throw at them.

Behind them were the men and women of the 11th Attack Squadron. While they wouldn't be going in first, the drones they had would be of immense value to the boots on the ground, being their eyes and ears in the sky.

All of whom faced the giant blast door. All of whom now stared at General Monroe. The figure who would command them through the trials and tribulations of an excursion into unknown territory.

With a deep breath, Monroe began his speech.

"Men and women of the Prometheus Expeditionary Force…" Monroe started. "Today, we stand on the precipice of a New Dawn, one that is capable of catapulting the United States into the 22nd Century. But let us be clear…"

"... We are not on a Grand Crusade, as in previous times. We are venturing into a US that has seen the End Times, created by the folly of those who wished the world to burn. Some, by those who once adorned the uniforms you wear." Monroe paused, letting the significance of what he said sink in.

"Make no mistake, our mission will not be an easy one. You will see the low depths of what humanity is willing to do to survive. You will see a nightmarish world, one that was once confined to the theoretical."

"But let us not despair at a future created by madmen. Instead, let us ensure that we record and remember the mistakes of this alternate US, so that we do not suffer the same fate. Our actions… your actions will determine the course of history as we know it. Remember that we are the beacons of light, in a world that has gone dark."

"I have full confidence in every single one of you. Use your training and skills to protect your comrades in these uncertain times."

"Good Luck! And let us bring Peace to a World that has forgotten such a Concept!"

With the final sentence, General Monroe glanced at the soldier at the control panel and nodded.

Without any hesitation, the soldier pulled the switch.

AN:
This should be the final chapter of the Expeditionary Force getting accustomed to the base. By now, they have definitive control.

I will admit, I'm not good at making speeches, but I hope that this appropriate enough for the task at hand. If you have any suggestions for future speeches, you're welcome to make comments about it.

Now then... let's get this party started!

Song of the Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnwNxAYAcNU

Interlude: A Naive Girl from California
It was hot in the Mojave Desert. Hotter than the air-conditioned corridors of Helios One. In fact, it was kind of ridiculous that she still wore this hood.

So why the Hell did she feel so cold.

As the beer burned through her throat, Veronica Santangelo, resident weirdo and secret Brotherhood of Steel member, slammed the glass bottle down on the table.

"Ok Ronnie…" Henry stared warily at Veronica, his eyes glancing at the power fist. "If you're going to act this way, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave. It's midday, and you're going to scare away the customers."

"Sorry Henry. It's just… young love, am I right?" Veronica let out a smile, that looked more like a pained grimace. "Just kinda… drinking away my sorrows, like you normally do after a breakup."

"Yeah. But I'm pretty sure a breakup doesn't leave behind broken body parts." Henry breathed in deeply, clapping his hands together. "Seriously, Ronnie. You're a good customer, but this ain't it today. Just walk it off."

While Veronica would have liked to have argued that she was only mildly buzzed, even she knew what would happen if she dived deep into the bottle. Especially if there was some jackass who didn't realize that no means no.

With a resigned sigh, Veronica stood up from her chair, paid for the beer, and started to wander the 188 Trading Post.

Officially, her job was to act as a scout and a "procurement specialist". Help with getting the food, as well as keeping an eye on any NCR movement.

Unofficially, Veronica couldn't help but feel that she was simply picking up the groceries, watching as day by day, NCR forces gathered in the West, having cracked open Brotherhood bunkers like Deathclaw eggs.

Sometimes, she wondered what would have happened if she had left with Christy, before she had decided to head East with Elijah.

Maybe if she had, Christy wouldn't have left, and been declared missing. Maybe

And.. now she was sad again. Perfect.

Walking down the hill, Veronica navigated through a block of destitute travelers, all the while trying to have happy thoughts. Maybe by the time she came back, Elijah would have some new project that she could happily tinker on.

Veronica snorted. Yeah right. More likely, Mom and Dad would continue to pester her to find someone to "procreate" with.

Walking underneath the overpass, Veronica mindlessly tried to make the buzz go away, when she overheard a conversation.

"You know what. Screw it. Here's a hundred caps."

Veronica raised her eyebrows in surprise.

In front of her, a well-dressed man, probably going to Vegas, handed a pouch of caps to the Forecaster.

The Forecaster, to put it mildly, was a strange kid. Ever since she had first settled in the 188 Trading Post, he had always been there. Poor kid had lost his parents, but from what she could tell, he seemed to be doing alright.

Well… aside from scamming travelers to Vegas with his "thoughts".

"Sweet. Let me just take my headache medicine off." The Forecaster replied, putting the headpiece off. "Now what do you want to focus on?"

Silently, Veronica could only roll her eyes, waiting to hear what "thoughts" the Forecaster was about to make. All for a cool hundred caps.

"I guess Everywhere, then."

Closing his eyes, the Forecaster took a deep breath, before he started speaking.

"Old Glory Once Again. Bull and Bear once, a new Eagle ready to play."

For some reason, Veronica couldn't help but feel something wasn't right.

"Old World Glory, reborn like a Phoenix. Cousins, but different. Like Maxson's Winged Sword, but ready to flip the poker table."

'… Maxson?!'

Suddenly, the Forecaster had shot up her interest list. This kid, who had never left the 188, was referencing information that few outsiders knew. Suddenly, those "thoughts" she had derided were starting to take on significance. Veronica moved closer, so as to listen to the Forecaster better.

"Across the Old World, ready to pounce."

'Bull has to be Legion. Bear has to be NCR. Then what is the Eagle supposed to stand for? Wait… you gotta be kiddin-'

"Stars and Stripes, already on the move." The Forecaster spoke, turning his head towards the Old World Flag behind him, as if it was a confirmation. "But what of the ending? The dealer isn't certain. Forecast: A rain of fire for any who oppose."

As the Forecaster ended his "thought", Veronica walked down the broken asphalt, now cold stone sober.

Every member of the Brotherhood knew who the Enclave were. Hell, it was probably one of the few things that she actually agreed with.

The worst of the Old World, ready to commit genocide on every single man, woman, and child. It was drilled into her head that she probably wouldn't have existed, if they had succeeded. To call them monsters, was an understatement.

But she couldn't report this in. Not unless she wanted to be laughed out of the Brotherhood. Besides, she couldn't trust the words of a kid who slept out in the open. It could easily have been a fluke.

But on the chance it wasn't

Veronica's mind was a maelstrom now, trying to figure out the best option forward.

"How do I even confirm this?! I mean… it's not as though anybody expected the boogeyman to just pop out again!" Veronica muttered to herself. "After all, I don't even know where they're coming from. It's not as if I can just ask…"

'Wait a minute…'

Veronica glanced back at the Forecaster, who had put on his "headache medicine" again.

"A hundred caps for each thought…" Veronica spoke quietly, mentally calculating how many caps for each day. It would get expensive, but as a "procurement specialist", she had some leeway.

If this kid was being legitimate, maybe she did have a way to find if this "Stars and Stripes" was real.

Walking briskly down the highway, Veronica broke into a sprint, ignoring the sweat that poured down her face. Right now, she had an Elder that needed to raise her cap stash. Secretly, of course.

Too early and too young to look like a crackpot.

Chapter 8: A First Look
As Private Reynolds watched the giant blast door blow steam from its components, he couldn't help but feel that the world was playing a twisted joke on him.

Before the Chemical Corps, before he even graduated high school, Wasteland Three had taken up a large portion of his teen years.

A nuclear hellscape, where the United States had been purged in nuclear fire, the few remnants of civilization scattered across the Wastes, from the tyrannical Patriarch to the North, to Sin City in the South.

One where he played as the Desert Rangers, the last remnants of the old US. A game that took its time showing how far humans could devolve, where each choice wasn't black and white, just gray.

Somedays, he would even pretend-play as being one of the Rangers, dispensing Wasteland Justice to the savages of the Wastes.

Funny how life had decided to make his childhood real, in all the worst ways possible.

With a shudder, the blast door moved against its frame, the friction creating a God-awful screech. And then, for the first time in over a century, the blast door rolled to the side, allowing in natural light. A few soldiers shielded their eyes.

"Let's move, people! Go! Go! Go!" Captain Graves bellowed out, as First Platoon of A Company sprinted out of the isolation chamber.

And into the Wasteland in front of them. Forming up in squads, First Platoon spread out, so as to not all get hit immediately. Though it became clear that wasn't necessary. Nothing came to greet the soldiers coming out.

No enemies. No zombies. Nothing.

Just… silence.

Even in the Mojave Desert, there was always noise, from the cars going down the streets, to the jets taking off from Nellis.

Here?

Not even a squeak. Just the howling winds, as if echoing a song from a long gone era. In front of them, not even a road to signify life. Instead, A Company was greeted by a desert, for miles on end, with only a few dead cactus littering the terrain.

For all intents and purposes, the bunker behind them was the only sign of civilization.

With no hostiles present, Reynolds slowly marched with his squad, organizing into patrol formation. Down the mountain they went, as the squads started to disappear from view. All that could be heard was the crunch of rocks mixed with the sound of his breathing; far too loud, all of a sudden.

Reynolds wasn't one to be spooked easily. After all, he had taken part in clearing out Levels Three and Four, the ones filled with the most zombies.

But the knowledge of what had happened, combined with the ever persistent silence, sent a chill down his spine.

This wasn't like the isolated parts of the Mojave Desert, where it was normal to not see a human for hours.

Instead, that silence represented the single largest mass grave in human history.

Reynolds and his fellow squadmates suddenly stopped, as Sergeant Grant held up a single hand. Holstering his newly issued M7, Grant swept the ground with the Geiger counter. No clicks.

"TOC, this is Oscar Five Golf. No rads detected in Sector Four B."

"Affirmative." The radio uttered. "Continue to clear Sector Four for radiation and hostiles, then retreat back to reinforce defensive positions at 1400 hours."

"Copy. Oscar Five Golf, out."

As they advanced forward, the most prominent feature that Reynolds noticed was the heat. A searing heat, not unlike the Mojave Desert back home. And a rude interruption from the air-conditioned facility that they had just exited from.

The second prominent sight was the remains that had popped up in front of them.

"Fucking Christ…"

"Jeez…"

"TOC, we found more bodies." Kneeling on one knee, Sergeant Grant carefully plucked the dog tag from the sand. "Appears to have been caught by the Nukes, judging by their condition."

"Copy that. Record the location for retrieval teams. Continue the sweep."

"Understood. Out."

Partially buried, the sun-bleached bones of long dead personnel were spread out across the ground, the elements having long ensured that no positive ID could ever be made. Scraps of olive cloth decorated the sand, a macabre piece of art, one that had been preserved for decades now.

Only the glint of metal, shining in the bright Sun, would ever give the fallen a name to be remembered by.

As the squad left the remains, Reynolds couldn't help but have a strange feeling.

A feeling that he wouldn't have been a Desert Ranger. Instead, a skeleton lying in the elements, like these poor bastards over a century ago.

"General, C squad just reported in another set of bodies."

Monroe sighed in resignation. "Keep it on record. We'll dig them out when we've established ourselves."

Monroe wasn't a stranger to death. Not by a longshot.

But each death chipped away at his soul.

Even if they had served a country that was led by madmen, these soldiers were still US soldiers. Men and women who had valiantly fought to defend their country from a foreign threat, sworn to defend their Republic.

Their fate? Simply another set of bodies, seared away by nuclear flames, visible and invisible.

Combined with the bodies they had already collected inside, and Monroe couldn't help but mourn these soldiers from another life.

But he could mourn them later. Right now, he had needed to ensure that his soldiers wouldn't be next.

Moving from the Army section of the communication hub, Monroe nodded to Captain Torres.

"Captain, are we live?"

"Drones are in the air." Torres stated, gesturing to her section, where several Air Force personnel sat with their laptops. One by one, the cameras came to life. "We'll only be able to reach out in a ten kilometer radius. Anything further, and we'll need heavier equipment.

"Ten kilometers will suffice for now. We just need to make sure that the perimeter teams aren't going to get ambushed."

With hefty throws, the dozen RQ-11 Ravens climbed into the air, each one soaring over the Wasteland at their maximum height of 150 meters. Remote control given to their operators, the Ravens separated from each other, each going in a different direction.

RQ-11-4, or known by its call name "Lucky", flew over the rocky hills and sand at a speed of 45 kilometers per hour. Better to conserve battery life than for evasion.

As Lucky traversed the terrain, its findings corroborated with what the perimeter teams had found. Half an hour passed, and no movement whatsoever. Just the odd cactus that had somehow survived. Nothing of significance. Nothing… until the asphalt came into view.

Lucky had managed to stumble upon some remnants of civilization! Sure, the asphalt had seen better days, with all the cracks in the road, but it was better than what the perimeter teams had found!

With a twist from its operator, Lucky started to travel down the road, seeing if it could find any signs of life. Maybe even a person!

Well… Lucky got its wish, as not long after, the camera displayed the first signs of life outside the bunker.

Unfortunately… the life it had found, wasn't what people would call "friendly".

"What the… fuck?" The operator stated out loud, as he continued to turn the drone around the scene that was being displayed.

Monroe excused the audible curse.

Because even he couldn't believe what he was seeing with his own eyes.

"Zombies, robots, and now this…" Monroe muttered under his breath, rubbing his eyes one more time. Just to make sure.

On the display, it seemed that a hunt was just ending.

Except… the parties involved weren't human, not by any standards.

The lizard being hunted wasn't normal by any means. Hunched on two legs, it was large, larger than any lizard Monroe knew. While he couldn't get an accurate measurement, he reckoned that the turquoise lizard was about the size of a small child.

But in comparison to what the hunters were, the lizard was downright normal.

As the lizard collapsed to the ground, its muscles twitching, the hunters flew around the lizard, as if celebrating their kill.

Bugs. Dog-sized bugs that continuously plunged their stingers into the lizard.

"I don't remember tarantula hawks being this large…" Torres watched with captivated eyes, before shaking her head to refocus.

"You know what these bugs are?!" Monroe asked incredulously.

"Yeah… you see them all over the Southwest. Ma always told me to never touch one of them. Their stings hurt like a bitch," Torres explained, before pointing at the wings of one of the hunters. "See? Those bright orange wings give it away."

"That explains their identification, but that doesn't explain why they're that large." Monroe forced himself to look at the bugs again, thankful that the camera wasn't looking at them in detail. "I'm pretty fucking sure that radiation isn't capable of making them like this."

"That's…" Torres paused, trying to think of an explanation. "I got no answers."

"General!" The operator interrupted the discussion. "You may want to see this."

Turning his attention back on the display, Monroe could feel his stomach drop at what was happening.

Its muscles still twitching, two enlarged tarantula hawks used their mandibles to latch onto the lizard, before starting to fly, carrying the lizard with it, the others following the pair.

Monroe wasn't big on insects, but even he knew that they needed more information on what these mutated bugs were.

"Keep a bead on those insects, Torres! I want to know where in God's name they're taking that lizard!" Monroe ordered, the operator scrambling to keep track of the hunting party.

"And get me a book on these bugs immediately!"

On further inspection, the book that had been brought to Monroe had inconsistent knowledge.

Oxygen levels may have brought large insects in the past, but the required levels weren't being recorded at all.

The exoskeletons of tarantula hawks weren't capable of supporting such a weight.

Most importantly, tarantula hawks were solitary creatures.

All of which meant jackshit, as the group of tarantula hawks disappeared into the cave opening, just a bit north of where the facility was.

An opening that the TALON unmanned ground vehicle was slowly approaching, the bumps in the ground shaking the camera view.

"Switch to night vision," Monroe ordered over the radio to the UGV operator. "Proceed with the utmost caution. Abandon the UGV if necessary."

"Affirmative, UGV entering hostile territory."

As Monroe watched, the world became black and green, as the UGV moved into the cave system.

His heart pounding, Monroe watched as the UGV twisted and turned around subsequent corners, the camera not showing any signs of the oversized wasps.

'Where the hell are they? They're the size of fucking dogs, they shouldn't be able to hide so effectively…'

And then… Monroe had his answer.

With the final turn, the UGV found itself in a massive cavern. Stalactites hung from the ceiling, looking sharp like daggers. No natural light was present. An average cavern.

Except for two variables.

One was the burrows attached to the sides and ground of the cavern, swarms of the mutated wasps buzzing around with activity. Monroe could even see smaller tarantula hawks flying around.

The other was the mass grave.

Bones. Bones littered the ground as though as if it was a slaughterhouse. Ribcages, femurs, skulls. All present. Some didn't look human. But others…

"That's a human skull, alright," Monroe said calmly, estimating the number of wasps. Others weren't as calm.

One operator turned to the side, and hurled his last meal, the stench of bile filling the room.

"Shit…get him to the medical center," Monroe ordered, as several personnel helped the poor man onto his feet. "And see if we can get the UGV out of the-"

The possibility of safe exfiltration was taken out of Monroe's hands, as the insects realized that an intruder was present. The buzzing of numerous wasps became loud, as the tarantula hawks dived onto the UGV.

The last thing the camera saw was the bulbous face of one of the wasps, its compound eyes staring directly into the lenses.

SIGNAL LOST

"Contact Captain Graves," Monroe ordered the radio operator, after telling the UGV team to retreat. "I need a sapper team immediately."

"And tell him that he's authorized to bring out the M2s and M19s."

AN: Song of the Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTZ2Pkb9cA

Chapter 9: The Great Desert Turkey Shoot
M2 Brownings.

Mark 19 and 47 grenade launchers.

M224 Mortars.

And tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Just a small sample of the arsenal that the Expeditionary Force had access to.

Monroe had made sure that in the weeks leading up to D-Day, the former storage units in the facility had been filled to the brim. In the absence of heavier equipment, this arsenal was the next best thing.

In all, enough firepower to make sure that the next thing that came around the corner wasn't going to be a threat to his forces.

For instance, the mutated tarantula hawk nest that was going to be rendered neutralized.

"General, all forces are in position."

"No activity yet?" Monroe asked, observing the live feed from the drones patrolling the surrounding hills. For the past week or so, the drones had scoured the mountains for any other alternative entrance. A few caves, but too far to serve as alternative entrances. All they needed to do was close this opening off.

"None close to the nest. They've all gone back to the nest to sleep. We'll have free rein on the insects before they can respond."

"And the preparations?"

"Captain Graves and Barlowe just reported in. The last of the sapper teams have finished up, and they're returning back to the fire positions. All that's left is to give the order."

"Perfect, that's our flanks secure." Monroe replied, the final stages of the extermination completed. "Tell the captains that they can begin the attack. And one thing to add…"

"Yes, General?"

"No heroics and no doubts. They're to use everything that they packed onto that kill zone. I want nothing to be alive when we're finished."

"Yes, General!"

As he adjusted his M250 in the pale moonlight, Lance Corporal Henderson of the 3rd Company observed the designated kill zone below.

A good two miles away, the cave was surrounded by the high and jagged cliffs, leaving only one avenue of entrance and exit. Rocks and stone gave way to the sands of the desert, the ground leveling off the further away the cave entrance was.

Open ground, no cover, as well as layers of claymores ready to be activated? It was almost too easy.

But Henderson had heard about what the boys in 2nd Chemical had gone through. One wrong move, and this reality would tear your ass a new one. Especially after seeing what those mutated insects considered a meal…

"Alright! You've seen what these bugs are capable of." First Lieutenant Westley addressed his men. "I don't need to tell you what happens if they get close enough to these firing lines."

Glancing side to side, Henderson could see that the rest of the company was listening intently.

"So you know how we make sure that doesn't happen?"

"Kill them all, and let God sort em' out?" One brave soul volunteered. A few chuckles came from the men besides Henderson, himself included.

"Exactly!" Westley gestured to the other hills, all occupied by elements of both the 2nd Chemical and 2nd Marine. "We got enough ordinance to level half a city block, and the good General has authorized us to expend everything to make sure we don't become bug chow! But that doesn't mean we get to be willy-nilly…"

"These overgrown wasps are highly aggressive, so don't expect them to retreat. While they're too fat to truly fly, they're fast like greased lightning, so make your shots count! Concentrate fire on individual targets that make it across, and make sure that each of the flying bastards isn't moving by the time they even get to the claymores! Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir." The men quietly affirmed, making sure to keep their voices down..

"Good to hear! Now then… let's teach these bugs what lead tastes like!"

As the minutes counted down, Henderson could feel the adrenaline pumping through his veins. And he could bet his right arm that others felt the same.

If the zombie and robot remains weren't enough, these bugs solidified that they truly were in a nuclear wasteland. One that had been warped by the radiation of a war that had long since passed.

More importantly, a United States that had been warped by radiation. Where each of the major cities was targeted by countless Chinese warheads.

What was the fate of Houston, the place where he had grown up? Was it simply a crater in the ground, or was it a deserted city, haunted only by the ghosts of such a nuclear attack?

Henderson wasn't one to think much, but the mental image of his Ma and Pa being mere ashes, even if it was an unlikely scenario, kept him up some nights.

But right now, he couldn't worry about the what-ifs. Right now, he had to ensure that they got through the what-nows.

A few minutes later, the order to initiate the ambush was conveyed. Something to wake the insects up.

With a loud thump, followed by a subsequent roar, the Javelin missile quickly traveled the full length, quickly impacting against the mountain.

*BOOM*

The loud explosion cut through the silence of the night, the first indication of intelligent life in over a century.

Didn't take long before the bugs made a response.

"Yup… we certainly pissed them off. Get ready!" Westley exclaimed, putting down his field binoculars.

With his night vision goggles on, Henderson could see the horde of overgrown wasps flying out of the entrance, as if they were coming straight out of Hell. At an alarming speed, the wasps seemed to fly straight towards where the interloper had made its presence.

That was… until the air around them was replaced by shrapnel and flames.

With the wasps hitting the designated kill zone, the M2 Brownings were the first to sink their teeth, the .50 caliber bullets rendering flesh from exoskeleton with ease. The 40mm airburst grenades soon followed, detonating midair, amongst the space the wasps occupied. Henderson saw one group get shredded into viscera in a snap.

"Fire!"

With rhythmic thumps, the M224 mortars punted their 60mm warheads from behind Henderson's position, their detonations adding to the ordinance being concentrated on the designated kill zone.

But through sheer numbers, or by sheer luck, there were those that managed to get through the bombardment.

"Alright! Here come the remnants! Light em' up!"

With the Sergeant's order, Henderson and the rest of the squad eagerly obeyed, sending controlled but rapid bursts against the battered wasps that had managed to survive.

Only to realize there was a slight problem…

"Fuckers' are zig-zagging like crazy! Can't get a good bead on them!" Private Sadler exclaimed, hurriedly grabbing at a new magazine. And it wasn't just the Private. Henderson could see that these wasps were not only fast, but highly maneuverable, moving in irregular patterns to throw off the fire. The bullets that did hit, seemed to have little effect.

"Fuck it! Full auto! Put enough lead in the air that they can't dodge!"

With Westley's order, Henderson proceeded to squeeze the trigger down, sweeping the light machine gun back and forth, stopping only to hurriedly switch out the barrel for a cool one.

"GET SOME, MOTHERFUCKER!" One soldier yelled over the fire. "GET SOME!"

A little big cliche, but it perfectly represented what Henderson was feeling. Like clockwork, he slapped the case on the next belt of ammunition, and squeezed the trigger down with all of his might. Mere actions didn't feel real, as his focus narrowed down to the enemies in front of him.

One by one, the continuous fire culled the survivors, allowing for more focus fire on individual targets.

But with the sheer number of bugs that they had pissed, one group had nearly reached the center line, ready to enact vengeance on the creatures that had attacked the nest.

A significant problem… if it weren't for sapper teams just a few hours earlier.

Detonator in hand, Westley pushed down.

Almost like magic, the wasp group disappeared, replaced by a viscera of guts and flesh. Ripped apart by the thousands of steel balls going at 1200 meters per second.

A shame that they had let them get so close, but Henderson couldn't really care that much. After all, that was the most dangerous threat dealt with.

Replacing another overheated barrel, there was no signs that the company would revert back to controlled bursts. Not with how durable these bugs had proven to be.

From that point forward, the bugs didn't get anywhere close to the claymores, reduced to guts against the overwhelming firepower that had been brought to bear.

It would continue for another two hours.

"Three, two, one!"

The C4 that had been planted into the entrance of the cave detonated, soot and dirt pluming from the entrance. Simultaneously, with a shudder, gravity did its work, as the rocks and boulders smashed onto the cave ground, each one heavier than one man could lift.

As the dust settled, where there was once a threat, now had become a tomb. Just how Monroe liked it.

Turning away from the neutralized threat, Monroe looked over the field, now fully visible in the afternoon.

A massacre. That was the best way to describe it. A full-on massacre.

Everywhere he looked, dark blue corpses, complemented by orange wings, dotted the field, the rocks painted a sickly green color, from all the blood and guts. Some corpses weren't even intact, thoraxes and abdomens having been violently ripped apart.

Patrols navigated around the field, irregularly shooting rounds into the wasps. Better safe than sorry.

Overall, the estimates had been that the nest had housed eight hundred to nine hundred of these insects. A danger that would have hampered all further expeditions.

All neutralized. And without a single casualty.

Even if it was against insects, Monroe couldn't be any prouder of what the Prometheus Expedition had accomplished.

But… such success led to new problems.

"Three to five days. That's if we work in continuous shifts." Barlowe spoke gravely, the gas mask not muffling the worry in his tone. "Longer if we take secrecy into account. My men will be vulnerable to anyone who comes across us."

"I'll make sure that you have enough men. We need to clean up all these corpses and casings. Elsewise, our cover will be blown."

"Pardon… but isn't our cover blown already?" Graves asked, pointing to the field again. "I mean… we made enough noise to wake the dead up, so to say."

"True. But according to the drones, there's not a single human in a ten mile radius." Monroe replied, before pointing to one of the wasp corpses. "And I think our friends here are the reason why. With their lethality, nobody sane enough would ever try to explore these mountains. With any luck, anybody who did hear the noise will be too isolated to inform anyone else."

"But what if somebody did hear?"

That was the million dollar question, wasn't it.

Even with all efforts, it would take two months for the engineers to drill a path from the bunker to the surface. One that was large enough to start bringing in the heavier wares, such as Bradleys. In that time, the Expeditionary Force would be vulnerable to any hostile force.

No matter what, secrecy had to be maintained for that crucial period of time.

"Then we'll respond accordingly. Worse comes to worst, we'll simply have to detain them for a brief period."

"Not the most ideal situation, considering we don't have a detention center."

"I'll think of something. In the meantime, let's make sure that we leave no trace of this scene." Monroe said.

With that, the three men walked down the field, discussing future plans.

All in all, a job well done.

AN: For this chapter, I really hope that I conveyed just the hilarious power disparity between any Wasteland faction, and the US. A nest this large, would simply be impossible to take out with the limited resources most factions have, barring the NCR.

And here comes the US, with enough firepower to take on such a nest, and win without any casualties. All without any of the heavier equipment... yup.

GG!

As a reference, the M250 refers to the XM250, which is about to replace the M249:

XM250 - Wikipedia

Song of the Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQ3ourS8BI

Chapter 10: The Ancients Awaken (Part 1)
Her Dad always told her that Rohead was supposed to be a small settlement, not like one of the bigger ones up North.

But to Sandra Connor, the activity of merchants selling their wares, alongside the bustle of town, was almost deafening, in comparison to the small farm that the Connor had always lived on. One where it was possible to never see another human for months.

Which made this meeting all the more intimidating.

"And what exactly do you bring to the table?"

Beneath his white Stormchaser hat, Marcel Hoovers had a skeptical look in his eye, looking her over with a raised eyebrow. One that made Sandra Connor want to wilt slightly. With a grizzled face, Marcel's look was complemented by the rough and weathered leather armor he was wearing.

But she was made of sterner hide. No member of the Connor family would ever back down from a job that needed to be done.

Especially a job that paid this much. A stupid name, Devil's Deliveries, but that didn't matter. Thirty caps a day, half up front, half on return. Alongside the pay, a hefty bonus if they managed to reach their destination.

The money wasn't just money anymore. Not after the final raid killed the last of their brahmin. Without money, the Connor Family would die a slow death.

This job wasn't just her best hope.

It was her only hope.

Burying her grief, Sandra looked up to the caravan leader, with what her father called a "face of steel."

"This gun ain't for show." Sandra responded coldly, gesturing to her trusty hunting rifle on her back. "One shot, and they'll never even hear the bullet."

Marcel didn't seem to be too impressed, clucking his tongue.

"All good in all, but I've seen your type before." Gesturing to her clothes, Marcel continued. "Farm girl, right? You may have dealt with them small critters, but the sons of bitches out there ain't going to just let you aim down the sights."

The almost casual dismissal at her skills, clashed with the memories of the attack.

Of the laughter as the bullets punctured the walls, her baby brother screaming.

Of the bullet ridden bodies of their brahmin, their way of life extinguished.

Of the headless corpses she created.

"Trust me…" Sandra growled. "There will be no hesitation from me. The raiders rotting near Path 19 can attest to that."

Evidently, something in her tone must have revealed that she wasn't lying. Marcel's face morphed into a frown. "Shit… they're getting bolder by the day." He muttered under his breath, before turning back to Sandra. "How good are you with Brahmin?"

"Good enough, I suppose. I can wrangle them if needed."

For a brief moment, Marcel remained silent, the Connor Family's fate in his hands. Finally, Sandra got her answer.

"Fine. You're in." Marcel offered his hand. "But you carry your own ammo and food. If we're to survive intact, we'll need to make detours into the Wild Lands. That means more days traveling."

It was as if a Brahmin had been lifted off of Sandra's back. Trying hard to not show any tears, Sandra unsteadily shook his hand.

'Hang on Josiah. Your big sister is coming back with the brahmin steak.'

Being a caravaneer, as Sandra was finding out, was significantly different to taking care of the family farm.

With the farm, Sandra had learned from her Dad that the surroundings always had a familiar rhythm, one that was easily broken by the many dangers from the Wasteland. Brahmin becoming skittish? Radscorpions on the edge. Raiders nearby? The jury-rigged shotgun would blow away both them and their secrecy.

Here? Sandra couldn't help but feel lost. She was constantly on one's feet, on the lookout for any raiders. Already, they had been set upon by several groups, trying to add to their scalp collection.

On the bright side, Sandra figured she had more than enough .308 for the round journey now. A bit grimy, but bullets were bullets. That was all these raiders were good for: extra supplies.

Chewing on the iguana on a stick, Sandra couldn't help but observe the other caravaneers sitting in front of her around the campfire. While there were others, her group had the luck of being the first to eat.

There was Jose, a burly man from the South, judging by his accent. While he was quiet, he was a great shot, keeping the raiders off of Sandra while she lined them up. Also a great cook too, with these iguanas.

To Jose's right, was Marcel, the caravan leader. The skepticism that had once been on his face, had morphed into an uncertain trust. Not great, but considering he was her employer, uncertain trust was better than nothing.

Finally, there was Crunell. A former prospector out West, he was the most talkative, discussing his experiences scavenging in Pre-war ruins. They sounded more like tall-tales from a Jet junkie, but Sandra couldn't help but be curious. Curious about the world outside of the little farm the Connor family had.

"And that's how I managed to evade them zombies. Nearly lost my head there, but them critters didn't take ol' Nell's head off." Crunell chuckled, clearly pleased with his story. "Got myself some pretty caps from those fission batteries."

"And what did you get for your troubles?" Jose asked. "You don't seem that much richer from last time."

"Oh-hoh my good amigo. Contrary to what you see, I actually did get something nice." Finishing his statement, Crunell ruffled through his sack. "Something like this iron!"

At first glance, it didn't look like any gun that she was familiar with. No magazine, a short barrel, alongside a bunch of exposed wires.

Then, it suddenly hit her. It wasn't familiar, because she had only heard of these weapons before.

"Is.. is that what I think that is?" Connor slowly asked, observing the polished surface that shone in the campfire.

"Yup. That's definitely a laser pistol." Marcel took a closer look. "And not one that explodes after one shot. Looks really fucking new." He glanced up at Crunell. "Where the hell did you get this piece?"

"I got this from a trader up North. Fairly certain she was former NCR, and get this…" Crunell gleefully spoke. "... This thing of beauty came from Navarro, from them Enclave folks."

"Eesh… you may want to put that away, never know if Legion or Brotherhood is nearby."

"Yeah. Yeah. I know, especi-"

"What's the Enclave?"

In that instant, every head was turned her way in bafflement. Conscious of her attention, Sandra couldn't help feeling that she had stepped into some brahmin shit. "I mean… I've heard of NCR and Legion from my Pa, but he never told me about this Enclave…"

Marcel was the first to unfreeze. "Fair enough. Most people out here don't even know NCR exists. But it's best that you know who they are…" Marcel paused for a second. "Or were, to be more exact. Saves you a lot of trouble with people out West."

And so… Marcel told her a tale of a tribe, unlike anything she had ever heard before. The remnants of the Pre-war Government, hell-bent on killing off anybody who was a "mutie". So powerful that a laser pistol was a mere trinket to them. A group that should have been invincible. Who should have controlled the Wasteland.

But against all odds, they simply hadn't. Scattered to the four winds, the Siege of Navarro was the last straw that broke the brahmin's back. All that was left… was their toys, and the scars that they had inflicted, figurative and literal.

"And that's why most people are touchy in the West." Marcel concluded. "Lot of folk lost family during those years. Even a slight mention of the Enclave will send them into shivers. If you're lucky, you'll simply be decked in the face. And if you're not…"

"You don't have to tell us Marcel." Jose replied. "The precios on those Enclave heads… there's enough dinero in there to last you a lifetime!"

"What Jose said. Bounty hunters, the really scary ones, will jump you if you even have the slightest info on those bug-eyed bastards. My advice?" Marcel looked into Sandra's eyes with an intense stare.

"Don't talk about them to anyone out West. You'll live longer that way."

"But… what happens if I see one of these… Enclave?" Sandra slowly asked, trying to digest the meaning of this one word. A word that seemed to send shivers down these experienced caravaneers. "It sounds like they're still out there."

"Trust me… pray that you never see them."

"Si. By the time they're done with you, you'll be wishing you were dead sooner."

But despite all these warnings… Sandra couldn't help but wonder…

'What would it be like to have such power? More than enough power to make sure the raiders never came again?'

That night, her dreams were filled with beams of light, cutting down the raiders one by one.

AN:

For anyone on the West Coast, the Enclave are pretty much the fucking boogeyman. You thought you were safe? You fucking thought wrong.

Song of the Day:

View: https://youtu.be/VUjI8EsORdk?list=RDVUjI8EsORdk

Last edited:
Chapter 11: The Ancients Awaken (Part 2)
Twenty people, ten brahmin, and enough supplies to last Two-Sun several months.

Overall, a large caravan by the region's standards. Which made it an appetizing target for the raiders lurking on Path 19. Even with the numerous guards that the caravan had, pushing any further up through was a death sentence. All the more important that they navigated through a different route.

Enter the Wild Lands.

The Wild Lands. A region that Sandra's father always spoke of with a cautious tone. Not much was known about the tribes that lived in the region, with only tall tales filling the gap.

Which made the canyon in front of the caravan all the more imposing.

"So these Wind Spirits..." Crunell tersely spoke, his laser pistol at the ready. "You sure they ain't going to cave our skulls in?"

"Relax. I've been doing business with them for the past few years, and they haven't steered me wrong." Marcel replied, motioning Crunell to drop the pistol. "They control one of the few routes into Two-Sun that haven't been blocked by raiders, and they know it."

"If you say so, mi amigo." Jose glanced left to right at the mountains on both sides. "Night is coming, and we can't afford to camp out in the open like the previous dias. Not if we want to get picked off…"

"Which we won't." Cupping his hands together, Marcel bellowed out to the people behind. "Alright, folks! I know your feet hurt, but we're going to have to move quickly if we want to reach shelter tonight! So let's get a move on people!

With that command, Sandra coaxed the lead brahmin into moving, all the while looking around at her surroundings. Her father's words continued to echo through her mind.

'Member', Wild Lands up North are a mixed bunch. Some will treat you right, and some will just put you six feet under. If you ever find yourself in that God-forsaken area, your eyes better be on a swivel. And whatever you do…'

Jagged and narrow, the canyon entrance was barely wide enough for the caravan to get through, forcing the brahmin to navigate the pathway with limited space. Add in the rocky walls that reached up to the skies, and it made the brahmin skittish.

"There, there. It's not that bad. We'll be out of here in no time." Sandra gently patted the Brahmin on its side, the poor thing laden down with crates and supplies. The rest of the caravan slowly moved behind her, the sounds of echoing Brahmin bells echoing throughout the canyon.

Traversing the canyon, the few yellowish-green bushes and vegetation gave way to brownish-red sand and rocks, the only sunlight coming from the canyon heads above.

Sandra didn't mind it though. The shade was a welcome change of pace; a stark contrast to the merciless heat that bore down upon the caravan for most of the trip.

But despite the comfort from the heat, she didn't let her guard down. Even if Marcel was correct, his last contact with this tribe had been a year ago; plenty of time for conditions to change on a dime.

'… Always find a way out, no matter what.'

Twisting and turning, the path forwards became a maze of sorts, as Marcel led the caravan deeper into unknown territory.

Several times, the caravan leader seemed to pause at the multiple directions the canyon seemed to offer, before directing the others to follow him on a certain path.

But whatever was behind Marcel's thinking, Jose's prediction had come to pass.

The canyon had fallen into complete darkness. No lights, for fear of giving away their position. Instead, the almost ethereal moonlight illuminated the path forward, revealing what Sandra already knew.

'Rocks and sand, and yet not a single soul in sight. Great.'

Not even the howl of coyotes was present. It was a silence that was menacing in itself, a place where time seemed to lose meaning.

If she didn't know any better, Sandra would have assumed that these lands had been untouched since the Great War.

But if Marcel was correct, they were well into Wind Spirit territory. Lands that the tribals had known for their entire lives. As such, they should have already been in contact with them long ago. Which brought about a single question:

Where the hell were the Wind Spirits?

"I don't like it…" A man by the name of Krusoe nervously spoke two Brahmins behind. "We've been walking for half a Sun now, and they haven't even shown their faces yet. Where the fuck are these Wind Spirits Marcel?!"

"We'll have a better time finding them if you stop broadcasting our location to everyone out there." Crunell coldly let out, glaring at Krusoe with as much spite he could muster. "Now shut your mouth, we'll be out of this rut soon enough."

But turning his head back, Sandra could overhear the hushed whispers.

"What's going on? You said they would have already greeted us?!"

"I know. There's supposed to be patrols on the outskirts. Should have normally encountered one of them." Marcel murmured. "Something's wrong, and I don't like it."

"What do we do?"

"As much as the Wind Spirits don't like people knowing where their home is, I managed to memorize the route. We should be getting close to the actual camp."

Marcel explained, gesturing to the path snaking to the right. "Worse comes to worse, we'll set up defensive positions inside, and continue during sunrise."

Sandra quietly gulped, gripping her brahmin's rope tightly. Looking behind her, none of the other caravaneers seemed to have overheard the conversation.

This was not the situation she wanted to be in. Not at all. Her imagination started to conjure up scenario after scenario, each worse than the last.

If there was one known fact about the tribals, it was that they were as tough as radscorpions. Savage or not, one had to be high on chems to think of attacking tribals in the Wild Lands.

For an entire tribe to have disappeared…

All of a sudden, the jingling of caps didn't feel like a reassurance that what she was doing here was right. Now, they rang the dinner bell for any of the critters lurking in the dark.

From yao guai, to cazadors…

To raiders…

With those thoughts in mind, Sandra didn't take notice of the arm shoving her back, catching her by surprise. The rope she held jerked back, forcing the Brahmin to grind to a halt. Soon, the entire caravan did the same, various caravaneers conveying some colorful curses.

"What the fuck!" Sandra glared at Marcel. "The hell was that fo-"

"Careful." Marcel hissed out, holding his hand out for the entire caravan to stop. Subsequently, he jerked his head to the ground. "Crunell, flashlight!"

Some fumbling later, and the prospector turned the flashlight on, illuminating the path forward.

As well as the numerous rusty bear traps littering the ground.

'Oh. That's why.'

Everywhere the light shone, bear traps littered the floor like pre-war landmines, their teeth ready to sink into flesh. While some looked like they hadn't been used since the Great War, others had a fresh coat of crimson red, dripping ever so slowly.

"Just as I thought. I was wondering what that glint was." Marcel muttered. He crouched down to observe the closest one. "If blood loss doesn't kill you, the infections will."

"So… what now?" Sandra nervously stammered out, considering just how close she had come to losing a limb. "I- I mean… we- we can't go this way. R-right?"

"Which is why we set those traps for a reason."

If the near miss with the bear traps had taken Sandra by surprise, the unfamiliar figure that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere sent her jumping, as the rest of the caravan hurriedly moved to aim their weapons at the man.

That was before Marcel intervened.

"Hold your fire! Hold your fire!" He yelled out loud, as Crunell directed the flashlight at the unknown person.

At first glance, the man didn't look like a tribal whatsoever. Rather than wearing animal skins and rags, the man wore a black pre-war vest, the words TPD on.

A bullet-proof vest, if she remembered correctly. One that would have cost her two months of wages back home. Weathered blue jeans, alongside black boots complimented the "civilized look".

In addition, no spear or bow was present. Instead, a bolt-action rifle was slung over his back. One with a polished scope, compared to the iron sights she had to use.

Back home, and he would have fit nicely in Rohead, possibly as a guard for one of them big-shots. However, it was clear that he wasn't from the South.

A feathered cap adorned the bald man's head, an assortment of white and brown, swaying in the wind. More prominently, was the paint etched onto the man's face.

Black and red lines ran from head to chin, a piece of art on the chiseled canvas. One that turned the man into a vengeful ghost from her younger years.

Overall, an intimidating figure. One who was squinting at the caravaneers with a disinterested look.

"Close, old friend." The tribal spoke directly to Marcel in an unknown . "But your memory is not as clear as you may think." A smirk emerged on the man's face. "Still, you are lucky that you only encountered the bear traps. Could have been crushed by boulders, for instance. Now then…"

Within a few seconds, the previously dead hills came alive, more indistinguishable figures spontaneously appearing out of the darkness, various bladed and ranged weapons in hand, wearing nothing but animal pelts.

More prominently, red dots emerged onto the brahmin, aimed straight at their heads.

"Let us lower our weapons, and we can discuss matters like civilized people, shall we?"

When the caravan arrived at the edge of dawn, Sandra couldn't but marvel at what she was seeing.

At the bottom of the valley, the Wind Spirits had made themselves a community. Numerous houses, made out of gecko and brahmin skin, dotted the center, some larger than the Connor family's house.

A river, flowing downhill from the mountains above, replenished the lake nearby. Crops, green and yellow against the rocky red background, grew tall and proud, promising a gorgeous bounty at harvest season. Potatoes, corn, squash, even those tato plants that produced a crop that tasted like puke.

There was even a small pen with brahmin, several babies following their mothers around.

A community that was almost dream-like, in comparison to the raider-infested highways that Sandra had recently encountered. Except… there was one tiny problem with that image:

The Wind Spirits were preparing for war.

The tribals made no attempts to hide the activities of what they were doing to Sandra and the others.

Young men and women alike, each in pairs, sparred with one another, spears and daggers in hand. Near the tents, the elderly carefully polished the metal blades, ensuring that they would not fail in battle. Even children meticulously fletched arrows, small piles being collected in reserve.

Then… there were the sharpshooters.

Three men, and four women. And yet they displayed a level of accuracy that put her to shame.

As the sharpshooters fired off another volley at the human-shaped targets down range, Thunder-That-Trails, the man who had established first contact, continued to talk to Marcel and Sandra, the only two who had followed him up the hill. The rest of the caravaneers remained in the Wind Spirit town, resting for the journey ahead.

"Magnificent, are they not?" Thunder asked, a bright smile on his face. "They are what you outsiders would call the best of the best. I have personally trained them since childhood, and they rarely miss their shots."

"You can say that again…" Sandra said, mesmerized by the skill on display. "Pa taught me how to shoot, and even he wasn't this good."

"I would not insult your creator's skill. Hotoru ensures that even the most hopeless cases are capable of rising to greater heights, young one."

"T-thanks, I guess?" Sandra replied, remembering the warning that Marcel had made about the Wind Spirits. About their religion.

While she wasn't religious herself, it was important in the Wasteland to know how to interact with religious people, ranging from those kooky New Caananites, to the shoot-on-sight policy for the Vipers.

Fortunately, the Wind Spirits tolerated outsiders well, so long as you didn't intentionally insult the Spirits of the Sky.

Glancing to her right, Sandra noticed the frown on Marcel's face, as he observed the sharpshooters reloading.

"Impressive work, but how much ammunition have you been going through?"

Immediately, the brahmin in the room came to pass. Thunder's friendly face morphed into a frown, before sighing deeply.

"I see that nothing gets by you, Marcel."

"Don't give me that crap, Thunder." Marcel tersely replied. "A year ago, there wasn't this level of mobilization. And I sure as shit would have remembered the bear traps. Raiders have been getting bolder, but this is more than just raiders…"

Marcel used his left hand to gesture to the other activities. "Who are you planning a fight with?"

Thunder briefly glanced at Sandra with some wariness. "Are you sure you want to talk about this in front of her?"

"Hey! I know when to keep my mouth shut!" Sandra responded, a brief glimpse of annoyance masking her uneasiness.

"Not to worry, I'm planning on informing the rest."

"Very well." Thunder gestured for the two to walk with him. "We have always had interlopers that seek to take what isn't theirs, our way of life since the Great Calamity. But they were few in number. Even the Hidebarks are not foolish enough to try and attack us."

"I'm sensing a but in here…"

"Indeed." Thunder stated. "For the past few months, the interlopers have become more numerous. Traps that would have deterred the most foolhardy, have not dissuaded them. In fact, it seems they are becoming more daring with every passing day. And the caravans? Well… you are the first we have seen in months."

"That's troubling, to say the least…"

"Indeed. While we are isolated from the savage world outside, we have heard…" Thunder went silent, looking over his shoulder, as if someone was out to get him. "Tales."

"What tales? You seem like you folk can take yourselves." Sandra said.

"But not if the tales are even close to the truth. A red plague of sorts."

'Red… plague…'

'Oh shit.'

All of a sudden, Sandra the uneasiness morphed into a chilly numbness.

"Legion." She stated, small chills through her body.

Ever since she was a small child, Pa always told her to never EVER, go beyond the Wild Lands. All because of Caesar's Legion. A fate worse than death, for any woman that dared to go into Legion Territory.

But they simply had been an afterthought in her mind. Too bogged down fighting inside their own territory against some folks called the Rangers. Too busy, and too incompetent.

Until now.

"Aye, young one." Thunder affirmed her guess. "The more they advance, the greater the number of interlopers that flee before them. Even I would not blame them, if the tales of this Legion are correct."

"Fuck! That explains why there's so many raiders. Marcel muttered under his breath, before turning his attention back to Thunder. "How bad is it up ahead?"

"We have cleared out the surrounding areas up ahead, but after that? Even Hotoru doesn't know. Which brings me to our ammunition reserves."

"Wouldn't say they're low, considering the amount of practice that your students are getting." The rifles let out mighty roars, illustrating Marcel's point.

"True. But I did not become war-chief by being foolish in the face of reality. They need all the practice that Hotoru can provide. And while our reserves have always been blessed by the Ancestors, Hotoru favors those who prepare for the unknown."

With that, Marcel and Thunder started to hash out an impromptu ammunition sale, utilizing some of the reserves meant for Two-Sun.

Sandra however, didn't really pay attention to the sale, focusing on the sharpshooters, who had ceased their firing drill.

Such a simple drill, yet it represented something so much more.

In the short time that Sandra had been in the Wind Spirit's camp, there was a thick aura of tension, threatening to break out from underneath the surface. The children were hurried by their mothers to sleep, their eyes glancing warily at them. And while Thunder hid it well, Sandra could tell there was another emotion in his eyes, other than projected calmness:

A hint of fear.

As the caravan started to move out of the valley, she could only hope that the rest of the trip went smoothly. After that, maybe she would find a less dangerous job, with the breathing space her family would have.

Maybe a courier. Less chance of being targeted by raiders. Maybe.

They were so close to Two-Sun, she could almost taste the shitty beer they offered.

Another twist of the telescope, and he couldn't help but smile.

The courier in Rohead had reported that a sizable caravan would be traveling to Two-Sun. Through the so-called "Wild Lands", where numerous tribes resided.

And here they were, exiting out of the canyon, thinking they had escaped the worst that the Wasteland could offer

A shame, really. Especially the women that were a part of the caravan. The barbarus in these parts were particularly nasty to the women they caught. A waste of a valuable commodity, and certainly not what Mars would want. A small comfort that these barbarus would know their place.

But for now, they served their purpose well enough.

Grabbing at his tunic, Hortensius activated the radio.

"Lupa. This is Frumentarius Hortensius. I have visual confirmation of the caravan coming from Rohead. Currently exiting out of the Wild Lands right now."

"Ten-four. Barbarus gangs nearby will be notified. Report if any other caravans come through. Over."

"Ten-four. Hortensius out. True to Caesar."

AN: If there's one part of the Legion that I would not want to deal with, it has to be the Frumentarii. From their disguises, to their sabotages, they are the one component that allows the Legion to be more than just an organized group of raiders.

Noticeably, what makes them more dangerous than the rest of the Legion, is the fact that they don't underestimate anyone. A Female Courier working as Legion will make them a bit confused, but they don't denigrate or deride the F! Courier compared to the other Legion members. They will utilize any tactic that will grant the Legion victory.

And that's what makes Frumentarii such a valuable tool to the Legion. Everybody expects the hammer that's being swung towards you.

Nobody expects the dagger in the back.

Thank you for listening to my TedTalk!

Also, song of the Day:
View: https://youtu.be/VEyDNTLlRgU

Last edited:
Panacea Compound Theory Log
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

CAUTION

THIS DOCUMENT IS CLASSIFIED TOP SECRET

THE CIRCULATION OF THIS DOCUMENT SHALL BE LIMITED TO THOSE PERSONS WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO HAVE THE INFORMATION IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR DUTIES.

IF SUCH DOCUMENT IS AT RISK OF EXPOSURE OR FOREIGN ESPIONAGE, DISPOSE OF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

February 4 202X.

My name is Dr. Holmes. As of present, I'm the head researcher for the Hydra Project. Current studies into the "Panacea" Compound have yielded promising results.

In vitro preliminary analysis has yielded several theories about the nature of such a compound:

1. Pluripotent stem cells, combined with growth factors, allows Panacea to be able to repair cellular damage at a rapid rate. However, such a hypothesis takes into question what allows Panacea to distinguish what stem cells need to be formed into? Additionally, what signals allow for such cellular regeneration at such a rapid rate? Further research into this theory will need to be able to find such a cellular signal.
  2. A benign tumor, capable of self-regulation when traumatic cellular damage is fixed, inducing apoptosis at completion. Further research into this theory will need to determine how such a tumor can induce apoptosis by itself, allowing for no malignant tumor to take hold near the entry site.
In addition, while pre-clinical trials have not been approved, injection of the Panacea Compound during a critical situation allowed for numerous personnel to be saved. Furthermore, in-vivo analysis of such personnel have indicated no severe side-effects. Personnel will be released after a period of twelve months, if no further health effects are recorded.

However, further insights into the Panacea Compound is limited by the samples of Panacea available. I request that all further samples of Panacea are to be sent to the Hydra Project.

With current conditions, we hope that the Panacea Compound will be available for deployment within the next five years.

AN:

Note, I am NOT a professional researcher. Just to let you know. If anyone wants to do an omake about the Gutsies, you're welcome to, because I don't have the slightest inkling of how to even speak in engineering terminology.

I wouldn't call it Panacea, it regenerates injuries only, it doesn't cure diseases.
Vault 81 has a broad spectrum cure more fitting of that name, ofc this scientist doesn't know that but still I don't think they would call it Panacea.

Last edited:
The Bear and the Eagle: A WI Scenario
As Monroe proceeded to sit down in the air-conditioned room, he could feel the tension in the air, thick enough to slice with a knife in hand. While these men tried to hide it well, he could see the wariness in their facial expressions, almost as if they were anticipating a fight.

His security detail wasn't doing so hot either. While he knew that they wouldn't start such a fight, the near close calls in the previous days had made them cautious, to say the least.

Pistols only, but more than enough to spark a conflict. Luckily, Monroe was simply here to initiate talks.

Starting with the good General from this "New California Republic."

General Lee Oliver wore khaki pants and a button-up shirt, a dark green tie lining the middle of the shirt. Overall, a dress uniform that wouldn't have looked out of place back home.

But it was the cap on top of his head that ensured that he was dealing with an entity that was… foreign.

An emblem of a two-headed bear lined the officer's cap that he wore. A nation, so similar to the United States, yet so different.

The two stared at each other for a short period of time, before Oliver spoke.

"I'll admit… when I got word that people were screaming about the Enclave to the North, I thought they were hopped on Jet." Oliver chuckled softly, shaking his head. "It's not usual for the boogeyman of the West of decades past to appear so brazenly near our troops."

"Which is why we're not this Enclave." Monroe shot back coolly. "Certainly not the horror stories that I've been hearing."

"Quite. Bitter Springs has been relatively quiet, ever since the additional aid came in. We very much appreciate your help. And it certainly has advanced your case."

"Really?" Monroe asked with a raised eyebrow. "Not even going to take into account poison or anything of that nature?"

"Enclave tends to be a lot more overt with their plans. No need for poison, when plasma and lasers will do."

"Fair enough." Monroe narrowed his eyes. "But you didn't just invite us for tea and biscuits just so we can sing kumbaya with each other."

"Damn shame that we can't do that to smooth things over. And you're correct, I'm here because right now, you've put in a bit of a mess." Oliver rubbed his forehead in frustration, before taking a deep breath.

"People back West, to put it mildly, are shitting their pants. The Senate is demanding answers from President Kimball, and while he's been able to placate them for now, it won't last forever."

"In other words, we're in danger of being at war because we have to deal with the actions of this… military junta." Monroe disdainfully let out, recalling some of the facts that this Enclave had committed.

Including the matter of worldwide genocide. Frankly, Monroe was impressed at the amount of restraint Oliver was showing.

"Don't get me started on the senators from New Arroyo. They personally were the ones leading the War Coalition in the Senate. One in particular hates your guts with a passion, if Kimball is to be believed."

"So what then? You've seen the amount of force we're capable of unleashing, and while I don't know you that well, I'd reckon that you don't want to waste your men's lives." Monroe said, referring to the demonstration of firepower that the US had inflicted on those mutated lizards. Even now, clean-up crews from both NCR and the US were still being conducted.

A small smirk appeared on Oliver's face.

"A good judgment of character. I can see why you were made General. Personally, I'm not too keen to go into another war, when we have Caesar across from here." Oliver said, referring to the local warlord. Some tinpot dictator who thought himself a God. "However, orders are orders, and Kimball won't be able to delay them for much longer."

"So you need to verify that we aren't going to kill all of you, if I'm not mistaken…"

"Enough proof that it can shut the War Coalition down for good. Something to ensure that you are different from the Enclave of past decades. So? Do you have any evidence?"

"Well…"

FEW HOURS LATER…

As General Oliver stood speechlessly at the portal standing in front of them, Captain Graves could tell that his security detail, made up of gas-masked wearing soldiers, were also in a state of shock. With a smug grin, he turned to General Oliver.

"If that's not enough evidence, let's go through the portal, shall we?"

AN: An alternate scenario if the NCR was the main contact.

So,everybody would think that they are Enclave.They need miracle to avoid war,but NCR ,brotherhood,Cassino and some other faction could agree to talk when they made proof,that they are from another world.

Veronica would look for them,and Sandra could be saved from Legion.Preferable before they mass rape her.

P.S Cazadores - yes,they should not exist.

So,everybody would think that they are Enclave.They need miracle to avoid war,but NCR ,brotherhood,Cassino and some other faction could agree to talk when they made proof,that they are from another world.

Veronica would look for them,and Sandra could be saved from Legion.Preferable before they mass rape her.

P.S Cazadores - yes,they should not exist.

As a note, there's a reason why I decided to put this in the SFW section.

I can write an action pretty well, but I don't have any experience in smut. In addition, just not comfortable discussing rape.

Blowing off limbs? More than capable of that though.

I can write an action pretty well, but I don't have any experience in smut. In addition, just not comfortable discussing rape.

Good,rape are waste of time in stories.Just like smut.

Besides,Fallout is really about blowing up things,not rape in general.Even Legion rape only after they win,not during fight.
And,their goal is conqer,not rape,they are not goblins from GS.Rape is just one of their tools.

I have another idea - Fallout is fucked world - BUT,after WW3 and nobody there could nuke you.When our world could face WW3,especially China vs USA.So,what about relocating at least small part of USA population to Fallout world in case of WW3 in our world ?

Not mention,that scientists would demand not only technology,but also mutated animals - it would be great occasion for them.

Chapter 12: The Ancients Awaken (Part 3)
'Note to self: Black Coffee tastes like burnt shit.'

Sipping at the black liquid from her trusty tin can, Sandra couldn't help but grimace. Cleven, one of the caravaneers, had made the concoction from coyote tobacco leaves and some honey mesquite pods, and offered it to everyone.

A family recipe meant to mimic a popular pre-war drink. One that was able to keep them awake for the day's trip.

From the faces of her fellow caravaneers, they too thought the same of the "drink".

But it still did its job, regardless of the taste. Licking the inside for the last drops, Sandra placed the tin can in her sack, loaded onto the brahmin she guided. As the lead brahmin, it was her responsibility to be the earliest in position.

Overall, the caravan had developed a sort of morning routine that was both quick, yet thorough.

Campfires were extinguished, while caravaneers patiently waited to get their daily water ration from the water brahmin. Pack brahmin having already fed, brayed out loud, sensing that they would be trundling along for the day. A controlled chaos was the best description for it.

Soon enough, the caravan would be on the move again, getting ever so closer to Two Sun. A fact that Marcel was clearly excited about.

"Let's move it people! Let's get this show on the road! Caps ain't going to make themselves!" Marcel yelled out from the road, a hint of excitement in his commanding tone. "The sooner we get to Two Sun, the sooner we get our caps!"

A few grumbles emanated from the late risers, but no real complaints. Marcel, over the journey, had earned the trust of the caravaneers. Far as they were concerned, he hadn't steered them wrong.

Eventually, with the last water rations handed out, the caravan formed into a single file line, guards posted on both sides. Looking over her Brahmin, Sandra nodded at Jose, the Southern man doing the same.

"Showtime, señora!"

"Showtime it is." Sandra replied back, looking back all the while. The mountains of the Wild Lands were barely visible now. In the short time she had spent in the Wild Lands, the mountains had become a sort of refuge from the savage Wastes.

From here on out, they were on their own.

Stepping onto the sun-bleached road, Sandra allowed Jose to take the reins, as she brought out her hunting rifle, slapping the magazine into place, a satisfying click sounding out.

Far as she was concerned, the next raider hopped up on Jet was going to get a bullet between the eyes. Nothing was going to get between her and this payday.

Nothing.

"Aw shit! I see them! Let me at em' Let me at em'!" One raider whispered excitedly, licking his lips. It had been so long since Soshu had been with the group. A hot piece of ass who knew how to ride, until the stupid bitch had gotten her head blown clean off.

The women down there would play hard to get, but they would come around. They always did.

"Ol' Painless wants some of that fresh, fresh meat…" Another spoke, rubbing the barrel of his weapon with excitement. Around them, the rest of the raiders could only murmur excitedly, some relishing for the chance to bathe in the weaklings' blood.

That was, until a harsh whistle drowned out the chatter, silencing the raiders. Near the top of the hill, the leader simply narrowed his eyes.

"Quiet down, you fucking idiots." The lead raider growled out. "I know ya' want to have fun, but we can't stick too long for this one. Too many geckos strolling about, and I ain't becoming lizard food."

A few audible grumbles were heard, as some of the excitement turned to disappointment. A fast raid meant that they couldn't take their time. No pieces of ass ready for them back at the camp.

But even with that disappointment, the leader of these raiders couldn't help but feel giddy at the luck that his gang had .

An actual caravan! One with enough supplies to last them a good long while. And they got first pick…

Apparently, some new runt had notified the Big Boss that a caravan would be coming through the Wild Land pathways. And apparently? The runt had been right after all!

A shame… he probably could have made that cute thing scream all night long. Before he became a warning to the rest about what happened to liars.

But before the fun could begin, there was still one potential problem that he had to make sure was addressed.

"Now remember Gulch," The leader directed his attention to the raider with Ol' Painless, "You fire only when I say so. Fuck up, and I leave you for the critters. Understood?"

Gulch glared at him, before realizing the others were looking at their weapons. The caravan was so close, and none of them wanted the trigger happy moron ruining the loot.

Seeing that he was outnumbered, Gulch let out a deep sigh, and put down Ol' Painless, before grabbing his dinky 9 mm pistol.

"Guess Ol' Painless will have to wait after all."

"Now then…" The leader let out a feral grin, reveling in the spoils that he was going to be bringing back. "Get ready…"

It was official: Mother Nature could bite her ass.

As the caravan trundled up the steep road, the sweltering heat seemed to permeate the air Sandra was breathing in. Sweat flowed like a river, drenching her shirt. While she couldn't see behind her, Sandra knew that the others were feeling the same heat. Demonstrated audibly by Jose to her side.

"Shit. This calor is going to make me faint."

"You can say that again." Sandra replied back, the heat making her nauseous. As much as she knew just how precious her reserves were, she needed water. Taking out her water canteen, Sandra shook it twice to confirm the much water she had left. A bit over half, from the water sloshing inside.

'Damnit. Water ration won't be until tomorrow morning.'

Twisting the cap, Sandra carefully sipped at the water inside. And it wasn't the radioactive water that tasted like piss. Actual, purified water, courtesy of the Wind Spirits.

"You know, that's all the water you get for today." Jose said, a concerned frown on his face. "There's no water here for millas. Not unless you consider your sweat as being water."

Sandra, her mouth being full, simply gave Jose the middle finger, who simply sighed.

"Your grave, I guess."
"Well excuse me if I don't want to collapse onto the road here." Sandra said, her hunting rifle in hand again. "Won't be much use if I collapse onto the grou-"

"GOD DAMNIT!"

Marcel's outburst cut off what Sandra was about to say, with the entire caravan hearing his words. With her attention directed to what Marcel was observing, it didn't take long before she was also thinking the same.

"Fucking hell!" One of the caravanners in the back said out loud. "What's the hold up?!"

Marcel simply gestured to the scene in front of him.

"That." Marcel spit out with venom. "That's the hold up."

In the distance, Sandra could see the obstructions in their path.

Primarily, the rusted out metal hulks that stood in the middle of the road, stuck in place ever since the Great War.

Sandra had heard about these hulks before, even if this was her first time seeing them. Cars, they were called. Based on what Dad told her, these cars were how people got to and from places back before the War.

Faster than even one of those Deathclaw, you could travel to far away places, farther than even a brahmin could take you. All in a matter of less than a day.

From this distance, she could even see the thin colors that were still visible, even with the rust seemingly everywhere. A shade of blue, like the sky above, for one car. Bright red for another. There was even a car that was black and white, with some sort of ornament on top.

In short, a glimpse into what the Old World was like. One that in any other time, Sandra would have been interested in.

But this wasn't that time. Right now?

They blocked the way forward. Forward to her family's salvation. And that simply wouldn't do.

Meanwhile, Jose looked over the side, before glancing back at Marcel, a grimace on his face.

"No good. Brahmin will hurt themselves if we try going down the sides. With this amount of carga?" Jose pointed to the supplies. "Will break their legs at the very least."

"And if we decide to go back and find another route, we'll be dangerously low on water." Marcel added, taking a glance back down the long road back. "In this heat, it's a death sentence."
With the obstruction in view, hushed whispers turned to loud concerns.

"What the hell do we do now?!"

"If we camp out here, we'll be dead by tomorrow! There's no cover here at all!"

"Should we turn back?!"

"Why the hell did we pick this route?!"

Sandra looked on, feeling a sense of danger coming from the increasingly agitated caravanners. Things could get ugly, real quick, real fast.

Thankfully, Marcel seemed to understand the danger.

"Alright then!" Marcel shouted out, silencing the chatter. "No need to worry or panic. You'll all get your caps when we're done here."

"Then how do suggest we move forward, push the fucking wrecks over the sides?!"

"That's exactly what we're going to do."

Dead silence permeated the caravaneers, as they absorbed what Marcel had just said. Sandra herself needed a solid few seconds for Marcel's words to register in her mind.

'Wait… he wasn't joking.'

For a split second, Sandra couldn't help but wonder if the heat had scrambled Marcel's brain. Even she knew what could happen if they fucked around with the cars, based on her Dad's stories.

"You got a death wish?! Do you know what happens if yo-"

"Yes. I know what happens." Marcel cut off the dissenter with a controlled tone. "We're not going to be shooting the damn things. Their engines may be unstable, but pre-war cars were built to last. So long as we don't do anything to destabilize the cores, like putting bullets in them…" Marcel paused, emphasizing the ridiculousness of that course of action.

"We'll be able to safely dump the cars over the sides. And besides, if we go back, we run the risk of running out of water. This is the best plan right now. If anyone has a better idea, be my guest."

No one spoke, as the caravaneers considered their options. It didn't take long before reality set in. As much Sandra hated to admit, Marcel was right.

"Fair enough Marcel." Jose let out. "But how do you want to approach this?"

"I'll go in first. Check to see what we're dealing with. But I'm going to need a few people to watch my back." Marcel turned his head to Sandra. "You in?"

This was not what she signed up for.

"Wait… why me?" Sandra said, suddenly feeling the weight of attention. "Can't Jose or Crunell come with you?!"

There were plenty of more experienced caravaneers than her. Why her, of all people!

"I'm going to need someone to watch for anything creeping up on us, whether it be radscorpions or raiders. You're rather observant, with that hunting rifle of yours. Just need you on the lookout, while we check the cars out."

Oh… that made a bit more sense. Lookout was something she could definitely do.

"Ok, I guess."

"Perfect." Marcel happily stated. "And you're still right. Jose, you're with me! Crunell, tell the others to stick back!"

Soon enough, the trio started to walk up the road, the wrecks getting ever so closer. Other than the hills to the right of them, the desert seemed to stretch on for miles on end. An almost identical scene to the first few days of the caravan, navigating through the raider-infested roads.

Except… nothing seemed to emerge from the wilderness. Just the howling winds of the Desert. For a place that hadn't been cleared by the Wind Spirits, it was unnaturally quiet.

Maybe that was why she felt so nervous as the trio finally approached the rusted wrecks.

"You two. Keep watch while I go through the cars. Make sure I don't get jumped."

"You got it boss."

"Will do." Sandra replied back, positioning herself on the right side of the wrecks, with the hill in view.

Minutes passed, as Marcel inspected the cars, opening the front of the cars to inspect the insides. Sandra couldn't see it for herself, as she continued to focus on the surrounding fields. Just bushes swaying in the wind, tumbleweeds tumbling across the ground. And a glint of a flash in the hills.

Wait… flash?

Blinking her eyes rapidly, Sandra brought the hunting rifle to bear, waiting for the glint of light to appear again.

Was she seeing things? Was the heat getting to her? Furrowing her eyebrows, Sandra intently stared at the hills again.

No flash, whatsoever.

'Yup Sandra. You're seeing things. Not a real threat. Now keep your eyes close for raiders'

Raiders had always defaulted to attacking, stealth be damned. Their minds too addled from chems to be that smart.

With that fact in mind, Sandra directed her attention away from the hills. With any luck, the caravan would be on the move.

"Shit! The bitch with the rifle spotted me!"

"Calm your tits down. She just acting as a guard."

"I'm not going to fucking wait. I'm blowing it right now!"

"Wait! Do-"

Before her fellow spotter could react, the raider pushed the button down.

"Any problems?" Jose asked, as the trio grouped up at the back of the cars. "Is it possible we can get these autos off the side?

"Not too bad. With enough force, we can definitely get them off the road. Just matter of-"

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*

An audible noise sounded from the cars, interrupting Marcel's answer. A noise that seemed to increase in frequency.

"Wha- what's that noise?" Sandra asked, until she realized that Marcel's eyes had widened in alarm.

"GET BACK!" He yelled out, grabbing Jose and Sandra's arms, dragging them away from the cars. Within moments, both were sprinting as well, Sandra not knowing what had caused the panic.

When suddenly, Sandra knew.

*BOOM*

A clap of thunder. Louder than anything she had ever heard, drowning out all noise. Followed by a heat that was hotter than every campfire she had lit. All of which was followed by a wave that seemed to lift her into the air.

And off the side of the road.

The panicked jumble of shock was the last thing she thought, before impact.

Before everything turned black.

The raiders whooped and hollered down the hill, firing their weapons at the caravan.

Sure, the explosion didn't kill them all, but it was always fun when they squealed like mole rats!

Nothing could help these poor weaklings!

Nothing!

In the air above, higher than anything the human eye could distinguish, the airspace was suddenly occupied not by a bird, but a man-made machine. Flying at 130 kilometers per hour, the RQ-7 Shadow was equipped with a liquid nitrogen-cooled electro-optical camera. A camera that could relay a live feed, straight back to the Ground Control System.

A live feed of the impromptu battleground confirming First Contact.

And from the installation of a long dead Nation, the United States made its move.

Song of the Day:

View: https://youtu.be/PV6sHBGW_n0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back