1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

One Positive Change at a Time (ASOIAF: Viserys SI) Dead.

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Oct 12, 2021.

?

Future wife (need time to shape things in the chosen direction)

Poll closed Nov 5, 2021.
  1. Brienne of Tarth

47 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Arianne Martell

158 vote(s)
    40.8%
  3. Margery Tyrell

184 vote(s)
    47.5%
  4. Asha Greyjoy

64 vote(s)
    16.5%
  5. Ygritte

47 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Sarella Sand

22 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Nymeria Sand

31 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Tyene Sand

15 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Mya Stone

44 vote(s)
    11.4%
  10. Rhaenys Martell

135 vote(s)
    34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Threadmarks: Chapter 31: Reaching For These Lies
    Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Chapter 31: Reaching For These Lies
    Garlan Tyrell

Father claps me on the back as soon as we catch sight of Fair Isle and lets out a snickering laugh. The waiting fleet is larger than I had expected though, making relief settle in my bones. The feeling doesn’t last for more than a few moments and I take a closer look at the ships that are definitely not flying Westerland sails.

“I suppose it’s time to fill you in on your grandmother’s plan.” His smirk makes my stomach sink as I finish counting the Ironborn ships encircling Fair Isle. Sixty of Quellon’s new long-cogs create the base of the fleet surrounding the now visibly smoking island. With at least a hundred of the more standard long ships creating a fleet nearly equal in mass to our own.

“You and Willas really made us look like traitors to the true King of the Seven Kingdons.” What are you even talking about? “It took Mother years to convince them it was all an accident. But you can make it up to us by subduing Lord Jaime… I was quite impressed watching you dismantle him in the training yard back at Casterly Rock.”

Are you really as dense as Grandmother constantly mocks? “He was teaching me a better way to riposte. He’s still years beyond me beating him fairly.”

With a cocky grin on his face, my father just laughs. “I guess we aren’t going to be fighting fair. The Lannistter men will be quite surprised when we hand them over to the Ironborn.” And I think you’ll be quite surprised at how hard they’re going to be fighting back once this betrayal is made clear.

We barely have a few thousand more soldiers and the Westerland forces have a very good chance of taking over the Redwynne fleet. Rolling his eyes at my defiant tone, Father let’s me know exactly how far my regent’s reach really is.

“I know you’re still angry about Viserys but he wasn’t supposed to be in any danger.” The lie sounds obvious with my knowledge of how many days Father spent cursing my friend for Willas’ leg.

“He was supposed to be rescued by our allies at Summerhall but Viserys fought back, unaware he was really slaying those sworn to his family.” Viserys doesn’t really take the time to get a second opinion… he does kind of just charge in headfirst. “In his memory, we need to prove our families loyalty to King Aegon.”

“What are we going to do with Lord Jaime and those who wont surrender?”

As his lips pucker in distaste, Father considers the question carefully. “He’ll be held in your tower’s dungeon until the war is over and given the choice between death and the Wall. He already gave Lynesse and heir and now that her spare is on the way… the Hightowers see no reason to keep him around.”

“What?” Father sighs heavily at my incredulity and tuts his tongue.

“Mother said you only cared about your lance and sword but even I would have noticed something going on under my nose after all these years.” He snorts at my red face and teases me playfully despite the awkward timing. “Maybe I should leave Margaery with you two for a few years. She can help your grandmother put some knowledge in that thick head of yours.”

He notices my eyes widen in shock and snorts. “Don’t let all of Mother’s mockery ruin your idea of me. I was quite the good looking tourney fighter in my day, swooned over by many maidens in the Reach and beyond.”

The clanging of steel and yells of battle start to filter into my ears from the surrounding ships. “Well it seems we’ve lost the element of surprise. You better go help Lord Tarly deal with Jaime and Tygett, we may lose the flagship otherwise.” He draws his own sword shocking me.

“Have you even used one of those since my birth?” What I wanted to be a silent thought ends up becoming a blurted comment.

Father thankfully isn’t offended and reinforces why we need Lord Jaime in chains. “Jaime Lannister is the one who convinced Viserys to give up his families dynasty and marry his niece off to such a deformed beast as Tyrion. It was he alone who whispered in Viserys’ ear and had him surrender himself to the rebels.”

That actually makes a lot of sense. My frown softens as his words convince me of Viserys not having all the facts when he was made to give up his crown.

“If Viserys hadn’t been so stubborn, Lord Tywin would have been able to lock down the city and marry Viserys off to Cersei.” His explanation continues even as I’m forced to swiftly cut down a charging Lannister. “We can’t make things right for your friend but his family can be restored.”

The Baratheons and Lannisters stole everything from the Targaryens and all Viserys wanted was for his family to live. “I hope you aren’t opposed to a marriage of your own, we do need to secure ourselves after all. I’ve gotten you the hand of Balon Greyjoy’s only daughter so our shores will be safe from any future reaving.”

“Careful,” Warns one of Lord Tarly’s men when we reach the group. “They’ve got the captain’s cabin secured and we’ve already lost four men trying to force our way in.”

Father seems stumped and Randall is going to keep wasting lives until he’s inside, which makes me bellow my own command. “Dump out a few of the water barrels and start a fire inside each one! We can prop each one against the open windows and fill the room with smoke.” The wet wood should give us enough time to prevent a fire from spreading.

Men rush to obey and soon we can hear choking coughs from inside the cabin. “Ready yourselves, they can’t take much more of this!” I share a nod with Lord Tarly and raise my long sword to a guard position.

“Take the ship!” Lord Jaime roars in defiance as the door is kicked open, sending a dozen of his men charging out onto the deck. “We need to warn the mainland!”

“This is all you’re fault!” Randall swings his two-handed sword with both ferocity and far more grace than I had believed him capable of only moments ago. “You handed King Viserys right to the rebels!”

No matter how good he is, Lord Jaime is just that much better. In the time it takes me to carve through three men in red, the Lord of Hornhill roars in agony as his left shoulder is skewered.

“I was the only one willing to keep him safe from the Mad King.” Growls the panting Lannister. “You sat outside a castle and let the Baratheons take the Kingdom!”

Before the Reach’s best military commander can have his head removed, he sees my approach. Narrowing his eyes at Jaime as the sword is pulled free, Randall makes sure to keep the swordsman in golden plate distracted.

“I was the only one to win a battle, shame is not something I have reason to feel.” He spits in Jaime’s face, enraging the golden haired warrior enough to end things.

He raises his longsword up to remove the best military commander in the Reach’s head and I am finally close enough to act. My blade flicks down even faster than Jaime’s and sends it rolling across the deck with his right hand.

None of us react for half a second but when the pain registers, Jaime starts to scream in horror and flail his bloody stump. Warm crimson splashes across my face and I don’t even notice in the haze of my shocking win. The din of clashing steel starts to die down and I don’t even notice when the Lannister men have finally all be killed or clapped in chains.

Robb Stark
    “If the savages aren’t going to attack fortified structures and only flee from any kind of organized force, we need to slip armed men into the villages being pillaged.” Domeric’s father exchanges heated words with the other lords during my own father’s war council.

A dozen of his most trusted lords sit beside mother and the at the head table, while the lesser lords and Mormont women take up two whole table to themselves. The wives and children occupy my own table and I try not to roll my eyes at Domeric over the bickering between Edith and Sansa.

I know this is important, I’m just frustrated at having to be on my best behavior for the third straight week. My best friend always turns into a boring stick in the mud when his Lord Father visits, but this time it’s not even a social call.

Why do Domeric and I have to listen to all this talking, we aren’t going to come on any of your raids. Why can’t we take the Alys Karstark and the Manderly sisters exploring, instead of all this boring talking that goes nowhere? Domeric says girls can be fun and as long as I don’t squeal, he might even tell me how.

Wildlings are swarming across the entirety of the North in bands ranging between half a dozen men, all the way up to a few that seem closer in number to a hundred. It’s forced those who live more secluded lives to cluster in overfilled villages, leaving far to much of our food stores free to raiding.

“Victarion hasn’t made a move since he ferried these ones around the Wall,” Father reminds the grim faced Bolton of the real threat. “He can keep bringing more wildlings into our lands until we deal with Skagos. I don’t want the wildlings to have enough men to start thinking of taking a keep.”

“You want the Squid to pay and I’m all for that kind of plan,” Bellows the Great Jon Umber, his voice cutting through the rising clamor of over a dozen arguing men. “But not if my lands are going to be burning for years. The wildlings are stealing what food and supplies they can and setting flame to anything else.”

“Don’t forget all the horses they’ve been taking. I’m starting to think they don’t even like women beyond the Wall, no matter what my father claims.” Adds Lord Jorah Mormont, getting cackles of laughter from all across the head table.

The smallest one of them all speaks in between voices and somehow everyone listens to Lord Howland Reed. “Let Lords Bolton, Umber, and I handle the defense against the wildling’s hit and run tactics. While you Lord Stark end this false King of Skagos’ reign.”

All this talking in circles just makes my head hurt but I do my best to pay attention to everything said. Mother told me this was important and I won’t disappoint her by missing one of the lords being sneaky.

“All this does is give the King beyond the Wall to grow his own forces!” Lord Hornwood roars with red cheeks that Mother says come from drinking too much. “His offer to subdue these ‘traitors’ working with Victarion, is nothing but lies to get the rest of his army below the wall in a single move!”

Father said this Mance Rayder only asked for the isles of Skagos and his army of fifty thousand would ally with our own. I don’t know why everyone is ignoring such an offer.

Why don’t we let Mance attack Skagos himself? It’ll whittle his men down enough that trouble will be a few decades off at least. Adults just make everything so complicated. We have two enemies and someone who might be. All we need to do is make the maybes fight one of our for sure foes… and it’s probably better if we have the fight strangers off the northern mainland.

2. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Hopefully Robb speaks up, 'from the mouth of babes' is a phrase for a reason. Don't overcomplicate, etc.

3. Flightless Man

Any of Vserys' basatrds that get legitimized even get a new name. So Robert has no reason to leave them as nameless bastards seeking tthe Targ name.

He's a natural tactician and I really wanted to show the difference in an amazing warrior and amazing general with Garlan/Robb

R.A.G. likes this.
  4. Mistroz

Mistroz Versed in the lewd.

Excellent chapter, i love it,wonderful job as always.

Flightless Man likes this.
  5. Threadmarks: Chapter 32: Sea Lion's Wrath
    Flightless Man

Chapter 32: Sea Lion’s Wrath
    Tyrion Lannister

As the last of Urrigen Greyjoy’s fleet sinks off of Bloodstone, I give the signal for Lord Clegane’s third wave of men to go ashore. I know exactly why Father has kept him in our families service and I’m only ashamed of myself for setting him loose.

Prince Stannis and the Dornish forces should have smashed the so called ‘Prince of the Narrow Sea’s’ meager collection of boats he calls a fleet. Once they take Grey Gallows and my own soldiers finish claiming this island, the Stepstones will have been taken with only minimal casualties.

“Are you sure giving Clegane command is a good idea?” My uncle frowns at me as we climb into our own rowboat and half a dozen soldiers begin lowering us to the water. “He won’t leave anyone fit for questioning.”

“He was given one very simple command.” I’ll do anything to get Rhaenys back safely, even setting Father’s mad dog on my enemies. “Leave the children and hostages unharmed, he can do whatever he wants to the rest.”

His actions are atrocious but will speed up Bloodstone’s surrender by hours. I don’t have time to do things honorably. Every second I waste is another second my betrothed could be sailing away with.

“Wyman says that Oberyn’s paramour and youngest three children are here somewhere,” He found Oberyn’s oldest girl in King’s Landing trying to stir up trouble and she didn’t endure his questioning for long. “Clegane can give Ellaria my regards. The Red Viper is going to learn exactly how sharp my claws are.”

Any witnesses I can’t buy off, will of course need to die ‘heroic’ deaths before Prince Stannis can question them. “We’re following his advance force for a reason.” I finally relent to Gerion’s scowl and lose my hard expression for the ride to shore. “We’re going to need to cover up quite a few atrocities before the sun sets today.” Going to be easier to put all the bodies in the bloodiest buildings and burn the evidence.

Still this isn’t enough for my uncle and I actually feel bad my choice has mad him look at me te same way he does Father. “Prince Stannis was clear in how he wanted this campaign handled and I’m not going to the Wall over getting a little… over enthusiastic. Once this insurrection is over, I’m not going to be coming back to Dragonstone with you.”

“I see.” My voice barely keeps the trembling from being heard as I lose my biggest pillar of support’s respect. “Going to fill your office from King’s Landing?”

“Turn it in and spend some time with Joy before I leave.” He scowls at the smoke rising from the shanty town. “You’ll probably be offered the position after I’m gone and as much as I disagree with your methods… I can’t deny how effective they are.”

“Finally going after Brightroar?” He hasn’t talked about it seriously in years, I didn’t think it was still his dream.

With a voice heavy with layered emotion, Gerion gets out and pulls the boat onto the shell covered beach. “You don’t need me watching over your shoulder anymore and I really don’t want such a close view of you becoming Tywin. One of my brother is enough for this world.”

We march in the middle of a hundred soldiers and see the devastation wrought by my order up close. Bodies of Ironborn are everywhere and I grow sick at the sounds of screaming women. The few dozen children aged ten and below are clustered in a terrified bunch, while their guards eagerly wait for their turn to have some ‘fun’.

“You did this Tyrion.” Gerion’s words are harsh and unyielding. “Don’t close your ears or plug your ears.” He growls down at me and I start to feel dizzy.

“Take a big whiff of all that blood in the air you demanded be shed.” I do and nearly gag on the odor of bodily waste and blood that overpowers the smell of the ocean. “Listen to the wails your men are creating on your command and look at the children you left traumatized!”

Gerion is panting when he finishes and shakes his head in disappointment. “You always wanted the world to see you as a Lannister. So let me ask you something after taking in everything you wrought… was it worth it?”

The screams can’t be ignored any more and I collapse to my knees mid step. I empty my stomach on the bloody dirt and feel my eyes burn with tears. Is it?

Remembering what it was like before Viserys gave me this chance at happiness, my eyes narrow into a very Cersei like scowl. “As long as Rhaenys comes home safe.” That’s the only thing keeping me from a complete breakdown and I focus on that one simple goal. “… Yes, this is worth it Gerion. Rhaenys makes me feel as tall as you and I won’t just give up on her.”

“I’ll do anything to save my betrothed Uncle Gerion.” Gritting my teeth I shove the feelings of horror into the depths of my soul and vow to only release them on my wedding day. “Even act like Father.” I wipe my eyes and settle my face into a scowl.

He gives me a look of pity and sighs heavily. “You go find Clegane and I’ll take care of this. I don’t want to see what Gregor does to this woman, but you don’t have the right to avoid your orders.” Closing his eyes to gather himself, Gerion gives me some final words of advice. “Just make sure her children go to Doran unharmed or he might decide losing Arianne was really an accident.”

Dale Seaworth
    Why does Renly have us in the middle of nowhere? We aren’t children and he doesn’t need to keep us safe from the war. My frustration over the Prince’s decision is close to boiling over and I know the rest of the men feel the same.

I scan the border with the Reach and see for the first time in weeks, something besides crops blowing in the wind. A cloud of dust is growing in size and coming straight towards us.

My heart hammers madly in my chest as the alert is sent Lord Selwyn Tarth and I draw my sword beside Donnel Swann. I know I wanted something to happen but I nearly piss myself at the sight of so many charging knights.

“Has to be twenty thousand of them…” He gasps as the mass of cavalry can start to be distinguished by individual riders. “We’re all going to die here.”

“If you’re so sure, grab a horse and ride for Harvest Hall,” I hiss at him low enough no one else hears the chiding. “Make sure you send a raven before you go into hiding though.”

“I’m not a scared!” Denies the Swann heir stubbornly making me cackle in his face.

“I’m terrified.” He blinks in confusion at my blunt admission. “But I want to raise a family in my new keep and the only way I get to do that…” I draw my sword and ready myself for the ambush. “Is by winning here today.”

I get a few chuckles as those nearby and a snort from Donnel. “I guess it’s not so bad. We each only got to kill two of them.”

“And look at all those horses,” An older Dondarrion man-at-arms adds with a jingle of his ringmail behind me. “We win and it’s going to be a nice ransom for each of us.” I’ll worry about claiming steeds after I know I’ve lived through this.

Any second now they’ll hit the thousands of grass covered holes we spent days digging in those damned crops. At least a thousand horses go down on broken legs and I release a tense breath when that many again trip over their bodies.

“Ha!” Cheers Donnel quietly when the Reach army runs into our second layer of preparations. “Serves these flower pickers right, thinking we’d be an easy score.”

The caltrops and beehives get trampled just as the knights reach the end of the field and use the road instead. Bad idea. I let out a chuckle as several thousand men break formation to swat the stinging insects.

“Get ready!” Galladon is red faced by the time he gets his father’s command down the line to us. “Once they cross the stream, we’re only going to get a few volleys off before we clash with these bastards.”

Renly’s idea of turning scrap metal into coils of wire wrapped around rusty nails is going to be our final defense before battle begins and I’m eager to see how well the woods will do. Should at least get them down to nearly even numbers before we clash.

We only have to show them why those numbers are necessary. These Reach traitors definitely don’t win wars on the quality of their army.

“Loose!” The bellow signals two thousand bowmen to fire at will and soon the air is whistling with the sound of incoming death. “And charge!”

Donnel and Galladon race down the ridge on the left flank and I feel the surprised terror in the first knight I face. His eyes are panicked and his horse is covered in deep bloody gouges across it’s chestnut flank but those eyes haven’t noticed me yet, to focused on looking for yet another trap.

In the time it takes me to get close enough to thrust up into the knight’s armpit, the two armies have clashed at the foot of the Red Mountains. The panicking Reach men are quickly overwhelmed by our fresh and eager forces and in only minutes I hear calls for mercy being called out in swiftly growing numbers.

6. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

Mmmmmmmhph. I have no big fancy words for this chapter after the couple before of the rebels stroking their Scheme Boners high on the clouds and poor goddamn Jaime losing his bitch slapping hand, so Imma just drop a quote from an interesting man with my thoughts on this chapter.
    [​IMG]

7. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

So did Renly come up with the idea of caltrops himself or was that picked up from Viserys' games with Joffrey?

8. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Tyrrels traitors - good,now they have chance to fight.Maybe they even win,only to be defeated 10 years later by Viserys ,his dragons and army of mantis-man and monstergirls?
    Anyway - great chapters.
    Jaime lost hand and his waifu betrayed him.Brienne,where are you? we need known specialist in mending broken hears,which means you!
    Renly beating Tyrrels - it is really catharsist.

P.S Viserion could die now - but if not,he,except getting healed,should get tons of magic mojo-jojo there.And weapons.Including Brightroar,so Gerion could live with his cute daughter.Maybe even gave him some monstergirl as waifu?

abyss_kaiser and Flightless Man like this.
  9. Flightless Man

It was time for a Baratheon faction win. Since the last surprise force (Frey's) is being deployed now and the Baratheon forces can actually counter attack now.

All Renly. He spent 6 years planning how to avoid ever being in a siege again.

Well, Garlan is being mislead.
    Thanks
    Jaime is going to have... a journey.
    We all needed the win.

10. Threadmarks: Chapter 33: Stop Saying Yes To Everything
    Flightless Man

Chapter 33: Stop Saying Yes To Everything
    Duncan Selmy

As the roofs of Stoney Sept come into view under the warm midday sun, I smile wide at the collage of collars. The wooden shingles are stained in many shades of blue, red, and green, and I find myself overwhelmed by the variety.

“We should be able to find you a mule here or maybe even a pony,” Grunts Sandor as he pulls his visor down. “You’re getting way too big for Titan to keep carrying you like this.” Frowning down at my friends, he mutters down at me. “You’re sure they’ll find you again?”

“Of course they will but… uh, I didn’t bring any gold.” I realize with my cheeks turning pink.

“It’s a good thing Viserys is so paranoid. He didn’t have much saved up but he did give me the coin recovered from those Summerhall ba-” At the last second Sandor remembers who he’s talking to and changes his word choice. “-ndits.”

Frowning at the offer, I try to put my foot down. “But that’s for his family! You can’t just spend that gold on me.”

Hesitating for a moment, Sandor’s voice eventually comes out softer and more vulnerable than I can ever remember. “When your father is as shit as mine or Viserys’, you cling to the first man that can show you a different way to live. Lord Barristan may not actually be your Father… but Viserys and I will always consider you our little brother.”

“Really?” The words fill me with warm contentment and feel the awkwardness start to ease when he winks with his good eye.

“Damn straight. Why else do you think I’m willing to risk Ashara’s wrath?” He snorts at my expression. “If I really didn’t want you around, I would have just taken the day and brought you back to her.”

“Oh.” I guess I didn’t have as much control as I thought.

He laughs at my embarrassment and dismounts from his massive black stallion. “Yeah, ‘Oh’. You have a head screwed on the right way and you’re damn good for you age… but that just means you’re going to get cocky.”

“And cocky warriors end up in a grave.” I repeat the rest of ‘Father’s’ oft repeated phrase and sigh. “I’ll be more careful from now on.”

“Good. You’re not allowed to die on me until you’re a knight.” We enter the small town and find the street bustling with activity. “Once you’re a man grown it’s on you to keep breathing.” He catches sight of a slightly plumper woman with strawberry red hair and sighs again. “Can’t keep putting my life on hold for you brats.”

A girl only a little older than myself, with a head of bushy black ringlets hanging down to her shoulders is watching us. Or more specifically Sandor. I realize her eyes only briefly brushed over me and scowl at being so easily dismissed.

“Ser, are you the ones searching for a pony?” Her dark blue eyes are nervous at having to confront such a large man but she doesn’t flee from his growl.

“Who told you that Girl?” I’d like to know as well, because I didn’t see anyone near us on the road.

“The Red Woman Melisandre,” Murmurs the girl as she wrings her hands under Sandor’s intense gaze. “She saw you in the flames and said you’d save us…” She frowns as she examines me. “But she has to be wrong, you’re just some hedge knight with his squire.”

I can’t let that girl insult such a good man and roar back at her angrily. “Ser Houndsworth is no hedge knight and I am not just his squire!”

“So who are you?” She rolls her eyes at me with a full serving of scorn. “At least he’s a big guy, but you don’t look so special.”

My neck gets hot and I can’t stop myself from firing back at the smirking girl in her simple peach dress. “I’m Duncan Selmy!” It may not be may name by blood, but it’s mine until I’m given my real one.

“Well I’m the King’s bastard but the name Rivers doesn’t seem to matter all that much.” Narrowing her eyes at me fiercely she stomps right into my face. “So I don’t care if you’re a Selmy, a Stark, or even a Sevens damned secret Targaryen.”

Wouldn’t that be something, Aerys really being my father. Though the more I consider it, the less ridiculous it seems. He would have had plenty of time to rape my mother if that was true and explain one of his own kingsguard covering it up. And it would also explain why I felt the heat of the dragon egg.

Some in the crowd start to take notice of the commotion and linger to watch the scene unfold. “Knock it off Dunc, we’re drawing a crowd.” Thankfully Sandor notices for me and grabs my arm firmly, hissing his words into my ear.

Remembering exactly just how valuable his bag is, I decide to swallow my words. “Sorry for my behavior, I’m simply exhausted from so long sleeping under the stars.” I try to be as charming as Renly always is, but I know I must look like a fool when the Rivers girl giggles at my attempt.

“We’ve been looking for days and you’re the only man I’ve seen of such a large size,” The girl explains to Sandor after accepting my apology. “I should probably get you home… unless you have an even bigger brother on his way?”

“You all better damn well hope he never steps foot in your little town. Or those bells will only be ringing for grief.” Growls Sandor as we follow after her. “Now you know our names, so what’s yours Girl?”

“Bella but we don’t don’t use real names at my house.” She shrugs at my confused expression. “Mother says it’s so no one bothers us when we go outside. So you need to call me Seedling in front of customers, so they know I’m not ready to be picked yet.”

I don’t get what she’s talking about but Sandor thankfully does. “I can understand why. We’ll follow the rules while inside, don’t worry.”

“Good, because you have a few inches and fifty pounds of muscle on Uncle Boris.” Bella leads us around to the back door of the house of faded red, a score of peach trees create a secluded little garden with a few children playing inside. “I know he’s not really my uncle but that’s just what we all call him. He makes sure the customers behave.”

Bella opens the door and leads us inside to the sounds of people having far too much fun coming from the floor above. “Melisandre should still be in the kitchen. She uh… really likes looking at the fire.”

“Crazy woman is what this sounds like.” Snarls Sandor as he lifts his visor and looses some tension in his shoulders when Bella doesn’t even seem to react. I guess she’s not all bad.

“But she knows things that haven’t even happened yet. She knew you two would come.” Counters Bella with a slight scowl of her own.

“You said she knew someone really big was going to show up and need a pony.” I think back on our introduction and frown. “She never said it was going to be us who came and she didn’t even know when. Even I can do that.”

I take a few seconds to think and make my own ‘prophecy’ to prove how ridiculous this sounds. “A woman with two different colored eyes will need a place to sleep.”

My words finish as we arrive in the kitchen to find a woman in crimson watching me intently. “It doesn’t work like that Duncan. If I was shown more than unclear signs, I would have just traveled with the two of you from Griffin’s Roost.”

“So what is it you ‘see’ in the fire.” Sandor is filled with tension again and I can see him holding his hand away from his sword only with conscious effort.

“Many things Ser Sandor, but those I understand are few and far between.” Well at least she isn’t claiming to know everything. “The true conflict is coming and will make these rebellions seem like children’s games. I need to find and guide the promised prince… but all I have seen is you shielding him from my view.”

“The only prince I protected sailed off for the Sorrows,” Growling at the woman, Sandor uses his full size to tower over her. “You’re a little late to save anyone.”

“Maybe.” The woman in scarlet robes smiles at me warmly. “But the flames still show you protecting the prince and his dragon. I don’t think any of us know how Viserys’ voyage will go.”

I remember something else Bella said and blurt out my worried thoughts. “Why did… Seedling, say we needed to protect them? Whats going to happen?”

“Two towers will fall and crush any who don’t escape the shadow in time.” Answers Melisandre with her smile now reaching her crimson eyes that glitter like rubies in the light of the fire. “I offered to take those here with us, in exchange for aid finding you. But we should probably be on our way… the towers seem to be in the process of falling.”

“Can you please go tell everyone to meet us by the pony, we need to be gone before dark.” Melisandre asks Bella who curtsies and darts off to obey. “They’ll only slow us down and offer no real value on the journey, it would be better to leave before the girls are ready.”

When I realize she intends to abandon everyone who she promised to help, I hiss angrily at the unnaturally pale woman. “You promised to help them. If you won’t keep that one, how do I know I can trust you?”

“If you insist… we can wait for them.” She gives me an unreadable look as Sandor begins cursing at me for getting us involved. “Bella at least will be able to help in an emergency.”

11. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Towers? Could be hightower, but might be the twins. Fucking up the bridge to slow movement in the kingdom might be a desperation play? Idk.

fluffy and Flightless Man like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Chapter 34: A Hound And His Boy
    Flightless Man

Chapter 34: A Hound And His Boy
    Sandor Houndsworth

After Duncan ropes me into escort duty with a desperate look in his nearly black eyes which I swear I will one day be able to resist, I settle myself on one corner of the worn cedar table. For however long it will take everyone to get packed, Duncan looks set to have a staring match with this Melisandre.

“So what’s this Prince promised supposed to do?” I try and find out more information from this eerie woman and decide I may as well help myself to the fruit at the same time.

The woman who seems middle aged rolls her eyes and explains as if to a particularly slow child… like Joffrey. “Save the world.”

“Does being so dramatic really help you get converts?” I grab a peach from the ceramic bowl and chomp down noisily.

“Some… but I don’t see you being one of them.” At least you aren’t stupid, just completely insane. “Though it’s not the fire you should fear but the man who wielded it.”

Letting out a stern growl doesn’t do anything to remove the smirk from Melisandre’s face and I find my self swallowing awkwardly when she steps right up to me. She stands close enough that the smell of cinnamon and fresh embers filters into my nose and it quickly becomes uncomfortable at the proximity..

“You must have been injured in training with your blade. Are you scared of every sword you see?” Of course I’m not but that’s damned different, didn’t have a sword shoved in my face when I was seven.

Bella dashes back into the kitchen to find the two of us locked in a staring match while Duncan uncomfortably tries to nibble on his snack. “Uncle Boros needs help making some men leave.”

Even the thirty seconds it takes her to get to the kitchen and explain is to much time. A man screams in pain as a second roars for his fellows to search the place. “She has to be here somewhere, don’t let her get away!”

“Still going to make me save everyone?” Already knowing what Duncan will insist, I ready myself for action.

And like expected, he’s fast with a denial. “We promised!”

“Get outside and wait for me by Stranger, I’ll be out soon.” Snapping my head forward slams down the visor just as the kitchen door is kicked open.

The man in muddy leather armor has a long curved knife in hand as he scans the room with beady green eyes, only to gasp in shock when I impale him through the gut. “Hush now, we don’t want to draw a crowd now.”

He tries to scream but I grab his chin in one hand and force his mouth shut. With my other hand I grab his wrist and slam his own blade up into his throat, ending him with only a few gurgles of breath.

The ringing of the town’s bells is loud enough to cover any sound made as I charge into the main room. Two men are standing over Boros Rivers as he clutches a bloody thigh, the one in charge with a shield of two blue towers upon his back. Better not tell Duncan the Red Priestess was right, don’t need him encouraging me to stare at the flames.

Gritting my teeth in frustration I swing low and bring my sword up between the fatter mans legs. He collapses when I separate his limb from the rest of his body and I follow through with my swing.

The Frey roars in agony when my sword bites into his arm deep enough to sends warm blood splashing across my face. “How many did you send upstairs?”

“Kiss my ass,” He snarls in response to my question, so I begin sawing my weapon back and forth in his arm.

“Let’s try that again.” My words are hissed with deadly promise and he groans out an answer before passing out from pain.

Three more men is doable, if a bolder choice to make than I would prefer. “Damn brat. Couldn’t just keep his mouth shut and let us go on our way.” Should have just left him tied to Stranger and rode past this place.

Storming up the steps has me find one balding ginger with an ax in one hand, waiting at the top of the stairs to deliver a powerful downwards blow at my face. I barely roll to the side in time to avoid getting a new hole in my face and kick at the side of my attackers knee when his ax gets stuck in the wall beside me.

He falls face first down the stairs and I hear at least two bones snap with a satisfying crunch. You’re not going to be a problem anymore, time to deal with your friends.

I find the next one with his pants around his ankles and decide it’s simply faster to fling the scrawny bastard through the window. His victim gives me a shaky thanks as I bark at her to get to the horse.

Taking a second to look out the window, I hiss in worry at the sight of Stoney Sept aflame. Over a hundred men in red armor run down the fleeing townsfolk and my mind whirls for an escape plan.

The last man is just as easy to deal with as the pants less one before him and I soon find myself in the backyard with fourteen whores and six children. The orange glow of the fires casts grim shadows that flicker all around us and I’m proud to hear Duncan sharing words of comfort.

“My friends are waiting for us close by and will help us get away. We just need to be quiet while we sneak out of the town.”

“You better have a lot of friends.” Bella’s voice is snarky like earlier but her eyes are wildly darting about in fright.

Duncan doesn’t answer right away, instead his eyes widen at something above the girls head. “Follow me!”

He doesn’t let anyone argue and we don’t really have time to do so even if someone wanted to. Instead the whole crowd follows the idiotically brave boy, who I only now realize is being lead by a white crow flying low above him.

“Go!” Hissing at the whores and their children, Duncan leads the mad dash out of Stoney Sept.

Yells from behind me are followed by feet stomping through the dirt and I throw the nearest boy over my shoulder… so he doesn’t slow us down of course, not because I care.

Just when I start to think we’ll escape into the fields, the sight of reinforcements charging towards us makes me curse Duncan’s good heart once more. Scores of knights charge towards us from the North and I can only hope they’re taking prisoners.

When we reach the fields of corn Duncan calls out a happy warning to the rest of our party. “don’t worry, it’s just the friends I told you about!!” His warning comes just before his coyotes burst from the farmer’s field, though with over three times the amount I remember from earlier today.

They race past us in a swarm of snarls and screams come as soon as they reach our pursuers. I guess Duncan can keep his friends after this if he really wants them. But he’s figuring out how to feed them all… Viserys didn’t pay me that much.

Viserys Ashtar
    Even after explaining my intention to sail into the ruins of Valyria, not a single person wanted to take my offer of using the second ship to sail into the Sorrows. Not like I can turn down the help though.

I need at least eight people to actually sail one of these things and that doesn’t give me a large enough crew to let anyone sleep. I wouldn’t have been going far if that was all I could convince to join my voyage.

Flying the Greyscale flag will hopefully deter any pirates but I decide it’s safer to sail out of sight of shore. Somehow that’s the thing my crew finds the most to argue with and my only explanation is the familiarity of sailing makes sense to them… the magical sea of death just seems like sheer madness instead of stupidity.

“Grab me one of your needles Marya and some thread I can hang it from.” She purses her lips in doubt but does go to fetch them. “And someone get me an iron nail. A really big one.” I’m about to look like a wizard or an idiot. All depends on what kind of magnetic sphere Planetos has I guess.

Garrett Storm is back first with a nail though Marya is only a few minutes behind him. “Here ya go. Now care to share how these will be any use?”

“Watch and learn,” I smugly explain as I begin tapping the needle against the nail and running it along it’s side the same way sixty times.

Once I’m satisfied a charge has been passed to the needle I tie it to the thread. Letting out a tension filled breath, I hang it from a suspended oar. The needle wobbles in the air and soon begins leaning North. Oh thank whichever Gods decided to make the laws of physics the same on both worlds.

“That’s North and we need to go almost due east from Lys.” I grin at Marya who is flabbergasted at something so simple. “How about you handle navigation Marya.”​

13. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

Towers might also be people named tower or related to a tower of some variety. Gerald hightower for instance or even lyanna stark.

This is the problem with prophecies. They're either always vague enough that they can fiy any circumstances or they're entirely self fulfilling so you needn't have heard them in the first place.

Chazz and Flightless Man like this.
  14. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

... Huh. Viserys just made a primitive compass. Step by step, from just being a goddamn decent person and a charismatic and intelligent Boi, as well as a decent fighter, he inadvertently makes himself into the best candidate of Victor in the Best King Olympics. That he did everything BUT deliver a signed in blood stationary that he didn't want to participate. Neat.

15. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Good chapters,Is she really king bastard? and which king? she is older then Jon,so must be Aerys.
    Wolves could be very effective against riders which horses are untrained to face them.As long as they kill every dismounted rider before he had time to stand.Could Jon warg into birds,too? it would be usefull.
    Poor Melly.She could not recognized Promised Prince in book and is unable to do so now.Maybe priests send bigger failure they have to fight Others ?
    When /if/ Viserys come back,he would just sight and told: no dummy,your Promised Prince was entire time by your time.I also hope,that you do not burned any childs when i was abroad ?

I remember some story/forget title/ when Valyrians was partially turned into reptiles by their magic.In canon unborn Aerys children where like that,too.So,If Viserys heal himself,he could get that,too.
    Which means,that his waifu could be reptile monstergirl,not mermaid.Maybe Draco from "Monster musume"?

16. Flightless Man

Yeah, they're either obvious or only seen afterwards.

And no one know where I went. We only decided to sail for Valyria after I was Knighted/said goodbye.

Bella Rivers is Robert's second oldest daughter. He concieved her in the rebellion while staying at the brothel and healed from his loss against Randall Tarly. Born in 284 (begininning of year)
    Jon/Duncan isn't warging the animals. Whoever is flying the white crow is controlling the coyotes.
    I'm actually leaving the promised prince vague enough that it can be anyone Sandor protects.

ThedudeManBro likes this.
  17. Threadmarks: Chapter 35: We're Not In Dorne
    Flightless Man

Chapter 35: We’re Not In Dorne
    Aegon Martell
    The Golden Company surges into King’s Landing with us through the Iron Gate and breaks into twenty squadrons to complete the objectives given to them by my Uncle and Ser Gerold. The four thousand men gathered on our march from Crackclaw Point are being lead through the Gate of the Gods by Lord Connington and I can only pray they show restraint.

“You’re home Aegon,” Smirks Oberyn from atop the horse ‘given’ to him by Lord Blackberry. “How does it feel?”

“Like you’re betraying everything Viserys did to keep us alive.” Mother made it very clear what happened in the sacking would have also been done to us without his intervention.

“Because we are your Grace.” The commander of ‘my’ kingsguard scowls at the name. “He was the true traitor to your family, stealing both the crown and your name while you where only a babe on Dragonstone.”

I realize we aren’t heading towards the Redkeep, but instead towards a fairly expensive brothel. Mother would be aghast to know I can recognize one by sight but I don’t know what she expects, when one grows up with Uncle Oberyn’s lewd comments.

“Viserys may have been able to sneak out through the sewers,” Explains my uncle with a mocking tone to his voice. “But we are a little more… high class than the Vermin.”

“Do you intend to wait in here until Lord Connington takes the city for you?” I wouldn’t complain very much if that is indeed what the plan is. I really don’t want to see the bodies up close.

Snorting at my defiance, my uncle ruffles my hair as we enter ‘Chataya’s’. “If you like the place so much, I’ll bring you back in a few years. But today we need the Hand’s tunnel to get into the Red Keep.”

His words begin to make sense when I’m lead into a lavishly furnished room. The scent of lavender hangs thick in the air and I start to cough on the smell.

“Just be happy they perfume this place or you’d have lost your lunch before taking ten steps inside.” Oberyn chuckles to himself as her reaches down to lift up a trapdoor. “Obara had to spend good coin confirming Jon’s words true. I’ll need to pay Lord Manerly a visit and express my… gratitude, for his part in looking after her.”

Fifty men go through the tunnel before I’m even allowed to look inside, with a full hundred needing to clear the way. Only once they have given the all clear and surged into the castle from inside the Tower of the Hand, does Ser Hightower let me to follow.

From a lack of use in the last few years, the narrow tunnel is filled with cobwebs and signs of rodents every few feet. I try not to shriek when a rat scurries past my foot, desperately hiding any weakness from my captors.

We’re forced to wait for what feels likes hours but I know can’t even have been one. When the men already in the keep finally signal for us to enter the Red Keep, it’s eerily silent.

A scattering of gold cloaks line the halls, eventually leading to a cluster laying dead outside the throne room. Two members of Robert’s own kingsguard are in the pile of bodies, but one has been dealt with far more savagely.

“Lorch tried to sell out the Baratheons, Blount decided to take him out with his last few attacks.” One of the captains explains the scene with a wry chuckle. “Certainly made it easier for us to deal with the Stark Bitch and the Usurper’s heir.”

My uncle’s cocky smirk is wiped from his face and replaced with shocked disgust. “What did you do?”

“Made sure neither would be contesting King Aegon’s rule of course.” The voice of Jon Connington bellows with pride, a squadron of his own men having already reached the Red Keep while we waited in the tunnel. “Would you like to see the bodies? We’re still searching for Lord Tywin and the girl but it won’t be long now.”

Oberyn brushes past Lord Connington and strides into the throne room with very visible rage in each step. When we see the body of Edric Baratheon mercifully killed with a slit throat and the headless body I assume must be his mother, my Uncle lets go of any restraint he still had left.

“We do not kill children in Dorne!” He grabs the perpetrate of this atrocity around the throat with a tight grip I’m sure will leave marks. I can’t even react, too horrified by the scene to even twitch.

Connington reaches up and grabs my uncle’s fingers, making him release the grip attempting to choke the life from him. “We aren’t in Dorne right now, are we?” The words are spoken with a hate between the two men I had been unaware of before now. “You have no idea what goes on here in King’s Landing. I suggest you go find your daughter Obara, my men will find Tywin and the ‘Princess’.”

While I stand frozen in place, the weight of what has just happened starts to really sink in. Robert isn’t going to let any of us live now, not even if Viserys was still here to talk him down again. My whole family is going to die.

Arianne Martell
    Waking for the fifth day in a row with intense cramps is the reason I’m now nervously waiting for Prince Renly to wake. By the time he does enter the hall mid conversation with his right hand Morrigen heir, I’m nearly a mess of nerves.

“I need to speak with you,” Putting this off will only make it harder to cover up and so I force myself to speak with at least an attempt at charm. “Alone.” But I make sure to have enough heat to deter Lester from trying to join us.

“Fine.” He shoves his Prince towards the table and walks off muttering about the maids at least being more attractive than back at Storm’s End.

Renly gives me a dashing smile of his own and takes a seat beside me. “What can I do for you Arianne? Need me to go remind Cersei who’s castle this is?”

“As much as she needs it… no. This is something I need your help with.” Though if Viserys was speaking true, maybe this could benefit us both. “We should probably discuss in private.”

Nodding his assent, we make our way up to his solar with casual conversation. By the time we are sitting again in the more intimate setting, I’m far more at ease with my decision. Renly really grew up fast, or Viserys just didn’t see all of him.

“Viserys left me with a parting gift and accidentally let slip something he knew about you.” My heart hammers in my chest as I reach the point of no return.

“What do those two things have to do with you looking pale as a corpse?” His smile is kind and his eyes filled with concern.

Let’s see how long those feelings are sent my way. “Maester Cressen has confirmed I’m with child.”

“Oh...” Renly’s jaw hangs in shock for a moment. “Oh!” Blinking rapidly as the information sinks in, I’m at least relieved he seems to finally understand.

“Viserys said you prefer the company of men.” His eyes nearly pop from his head when my words process. “Is this true?”

“How did he know that?” Now Renly looks as worried as I was moments ago. “Donnel swore he’d never tell anyone about the kiss!”

“No idea, but he cared about as much as anyone in Dorne.” I need a husband who wont care about my bastard and he needs a wife who will be understanding. “So I have a proposition for you.” This can work out for both of us.

His eyes flash in understanding as I explain how well a marriage could benefit the both of us. He doesn’t even need to touch me if it’s to appalling, Dorne will accept a child of either gender as heir.

Since the Maesters have declared Storm’s End unlivable for several years at the least, his brother Stannis can rule from his seat instead. I can’t think of anyone else I could actually trust with a truth this damning, but Renly and I each have something to hold over the other.

It takes well over an hour to talk him into the decision but most of that only seems to be stubbornness over giving his brother control of Griffin’s Roost so soon after receiving it.

“Alright. I’ll send a raven to your father today.” He seals the deal by pressing a kiss to the back of my hand. “We’ll need time for the right rumor to spread over the babe.”

If the baby is obviously a Targaryen we’ll just have to face the reality and produce a legitimate heir. But considering who Aegon and Rhaenys take after in looks, I’m not to concerned. Viserys just wanted to go lay on a sunny beach, Dorne will at least give his child countless to choose from.​

18. Ignacio Antonio

Ignacio Antonio Know what you're doing yet?

Oh, that escalate quickly

Ulysses and Flightless Man like this.
  19. ArtMagnus

ArtMagnus Knight Imperion

I'm just here for the Valyrian expedition.

20. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

So Robert's set to go full rampage, Aegon is getting a tour of just how right Viserys was, and Renly and Arianne are going to be each others beards over their secrets (gay and Targ baby) Wew, yeah there's a lot going on there.

Enough that I almost forgot that Duncan is apparently a much more violent form of Disney princess :V

21. ATP

ATP Experienced.

For now,things mostly goes as Blackfyres planned.Robert would die,Aegon woud die,other Targeryn candidates would die,and Blackfyres would rule.Rhaenys after birthing 2 sons die,too.
    Good plan - but Rhaenys arleady knew that,and Aegon start understandt quickly enough.
    Is Blackfish still with Tullys ? if so,he would hold against anything rebels send his way.
    And - it is nice to see Lorch unliving to our excetations.

P.S if you need monstergirls in your story/for example - waifu for lizard Viserys/,there was city in Sothorys where flessmiths rules.They could create all races you need before their unlamented demise.

22. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Or Valyrian remnants that outbred and inbred so much they've all got some mixture of scales, vestigal wings, horns, dragonic eyes, etc. (like Rhaego)

23. Flightless Man

every other chapter for the rest of book 1. Working on first chapter of his voyage now.

I definitly had the Shrek 3 Snow white scene in mind.

Rhaenys doesn't even need to die if she plays along.

Blackfish for some reason has been silent in Harrenhal since he sent a raven to Hoster saying he was bringing his bannermen.

Blount is just average and not really any special kind of horrible. Lorch needed a special death, so Blount got a slightly heroic death killing him.
    Soon.

abyss_kaiser, Ulysses and ATP like this.
  24. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

Welp. The Targaryen massacre was only put off by 6 years. Maybe Robert will be slightly sane and just let aegon go to the wall. I'm certain he'd going to end up feeling guilty enough to want to go

Ulysses and Flightless Man like this.
  25. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Then they could be to inbred to have children.Monstergirls made by flessmiths would be stable and capable of delivering healthy offsprings.Although i wonder,why flessmiths wonted create monstergirls at all.They should rather made superwarriors.Not all people have my preferences,after all.
    And people who ruled city should prefer superworiors and superworkers,not monstergirls.Which not change fact,that i hope for monstergirl draconid maids.

26. Threadmarks: Chapter 36: Smoking Will Kill You
    Flightless Man

Chapter 36: Smoking Will Kill You
    Viserys Ashtar
    The air turns warm and sticky against my skin almost the instant we steer our two ships into the straight, with a thick white mist coating the ocean from view. I watch the wind create currents and direct us to follow along the more fluid sections of mist.

“Avoid the still portions, that’s where the water is too shallow for us!” My shout is repeated on the ‘Grey Pride’ behind us and I lean with the tilt as my own ship reacts to the command.

For most of the day we manage to avoid any issue, going slow with only a single raised sail pushing us between the spires of jagged obsidian rising several stories above the mist. What remains of the larger landmasses are visible when the steam rises up and makes it look like a snow covered hill.

My patches of dry grey skin have grown like everyone’s and I know by years end I’ll have almost no skin visible. It at least seems to give my crew some relief from the scalding steam and most aren’t even bothered by the gusts of hot wind anymore.

In the distance a pillar of thick black smoke belches into the air and blocks anything but dim orange glow from providing light. What remains of a Volantene fleet starts to become a problem, with scores of ships half sunken on the sandbars warning us of what a single mistake will cause.

“Drop sails and bring out the oars!” We can at least push off the wrecks and inch our way through this death trap.

Dusk comes and goes shortly after we exit the narrow confines of the channel and soon the mist is lit by an eerie yellow glow that seems to come from the very sea itself. Now in the more open waters of the Smoking Sea, jets of boiling water erupt occasionally and rain down sickly pale fish.

The ashy grey sky allows starlight to filter through, but several pillars of what looks like fresh air are visible. Some only look as big as a barrel, but a few could be large enough to give the whole crew shelter as we plan our next move.

“Which one do you think we should go check first?” I decide my First Mate Barristan might have some input and give him a chance to speak it.

“The closest one looks to have a few to many spires of dragonglass for my comfort.” He answers with a wry chuckle. “It’ll be too much like going back into the ship graveyard. Though I didn’t know it came in so many colors.”

Marya agrees with wide eyes at the glittering talons of volcanic glass. “I thought it was all black like Dragonstone but this variety is beautiful.”

Some spires are a dark forest green almost like a beer bottle, while others glitter like greasy gold glass. A few spires are a dark blue or glittering violet though my favorites are the ones that have the color of a gasoline sheen.

“All depends on the heat, kind of rock, how much pressure it’s all under, and what it mixes with after the eruption.” I can vaguely remember my single year of intro level geology but couldn’t actually name any specifics.

“Not going to convince me you aren’t some kind of a wizard if you keep spouting off things like that.” Helmsman Arnold snorts at my remark and scratches at the large patch of stony skin on his neck. “Next thing your going to suddenly know, is how to hatch your egg.”

I decide not to mention my possible ideas. “Wouldn’t I already have done that if I could?”

“And leave us all to face this alone?” He rolls his eyes at that and laughs in my face. “You’ll have to try a little harder than that, if you want to convince me your hearts turned to stone already. But if you’re asking anyone’s opinion…why not the one farthest from the pillar of ash?”

“Alright. Not like we know what’s at any of them so you get all the credit for the discovery…” His cocky grin turns to worry when I finish. “And all the blame if it’s something horrible.”

A screech from the depths of Hell echoes across the water, silencing everyone with the terror of how big that creature must be. “Eyes on the sky and get us to your safe space Arnold!” I ignore his denials of it being what I claimed and scan the sky for anything incoming.

Each mile we cross is filled with tension that only grows worse when the water around us begins churning. The screech repeats itself from far closer this time and now it’s clearly coming from beneath the mist.

We don’t have time to react, only thank whoever is listening our ship isn’t the target. Three black tentacles burst from the glowing steam, each one thick as a bear. They grasp the Grey Pride with shocking speed and soon the sound of splintering wood can be heard.

Those who jump overboard only scream for moments, but that’s enough to remind us to stay out of the boiling water. I’m conflicted on what to do, but in the thirty seconds it takes me to form a plan… the screaming is over and the second ship gone.

Only a blanket of raven black ink and some floating debris even shows the location it vanished. The bobbing bodies are one after the next pulled below the surface, with the reforming steam concealing by what.

“Get us to land, now!” Barristan roars for me and soon we’re being propelled forward by both full sails and every oar available.

My shocked horror at twenty three people dying in less than a minute fills me with grim resolve. No matter how smart my choices are, we’re going to lose people. But I can’t let the losses break me, each person chose to sail with me.

When a jet of scalding sea water shoots up closer than any so far, my first instinct is to draw my dragonbone bow. Firing two at what I feared was a returning mass of muscle before I realize it was nothing but water makes me awkwardly laugh at Barristan’s smirk.

“Better safe than sorry.”

“Are those the words of House Ashtar?” I can tell he’s also alarmed, but with decades of experience to conceal it better.

I’ve thought of this since the day I decided to become a knight and set myself on this path. “As good as those are, I’ve already chosen what they are. A little late to send Renly a correction now.”

Marya smiles with encouragement despite the raw terror in her eyes. “Are you ever going to tell us what they are?”

“In the words of the fourth greatest woman I have ever known,” I return her smile with a face splitting one of my own, thankful for how easily she found taking me in from the beginning. “Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy.” I made sure to check and no House Frizzle will being coming after me over this.

“And who are the first three?”

Rolling my eyes at her moment of self doubt, I reassure her immediately. “Why you, Mother, and my darling Arianne, of course.”

That actually inspires me, we could all use something to distract us anyway. I take a deep breath and start to sing in a slow mournful voice.

“Oh my darling, oh my darling.” Barristan is first to react and his eyes seem lost in better memories when he hears my voice. “Oh my darling, Arianne. I am lost and gone forever, Dreadful Sorrows, we’re not going.” I haven’t worked on adapting this for my own uses since changing my destination, but this last second alteration will have to do.

“In Valyria, with a sickness. Searching for some steel.” Rogar is inspired in the hold below and finds his lute. Giving me a melody of sad string music as accompaniment for the impromptu song. “Dwelt a kraken oh so massive oh it scared me, Arianne. Yes I love you… how I love you.” Arianne.

Marya hugs me when it’s clear I can’t continue and whispers words of encouragement. “It’s not really a distraction if the music is so sad, maybe you should try something a little happier.”

Happier? I know quite a few marching songs from cadets and my favorite is very easy to adapt for any purpose.

“Alright… but remember you asked for this.” She frowns at what clearly sounded like a threat. I stamp the deck and bellow as loud as I can down to Robar. “Something faster this time, like this!” I stomp out a steady one-two one-two rhythm for him to follow.

“Oh! Down by the Doom, my mother would say.” I hold the note with a smirk of anticipation. “Have you ever seen a boat, in the shape of a goat?” Marya jerks back when I yell so close to her ear. “Oh! Down by the Doom!” We’re all dead anyway, why face it with sadness?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  27. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Weird spacing at the end.

It's a good thing all the cast are on that one ship otherwise we'd already have another tragedy on hand :V

BEARiiKADE, Ulysses, Ryuketsu and 2 others like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Chapter 37: Checking In Across Westeros
    Flightless Man

Chapter 37: Checking In Across Westeros
    Samwell Tarly

Mother waves at me from the doorway and I wave back before remembering where I am, sinking down into my seat with a blush. “Yes Samwell?” Maester Archibald leans forward and cups a hand to his whisker filler ear. “You know you need to speak up if you have something to say.”

“No Maester… It’s just my mother is here.” I stutter out awkwardly and point to her.

The nearly bald man in brown woolen robes turns and smiles. “Your Lady Mother is here young Samwell. I believe this is the end of your lessons for the day.”

“Can I read ahead tonight?” I’m desperate to know what happens next in ‘The Princess and the Queen, or, the Blacks and the Greens’. How can the Realm turn against such a beloved woman? I know how it ends but not how it could have possibly happened.

“Go ahead but I better not find any greasy fingerprints in the morning.” His smile reveals a mouth of many missing teeth.

Thanking him before I dash towards Mother and give her a hug, making her giggle at my excitement. “Always so eager to learn. You’re going to be the most learned Lord of Horn Hill ever one day.”

Only if Father is away at war for a while and it does sound like that will be the case after learning about the loss in the Stormlands. I still don’t understand why the Reach is siding with the rebels, aren’t we but hopefully my book will help explain things.

“Your father has sent word from Old Town,” Her eyes are filled with excitement that I find contagious, letting a grin of my own grow. “He has secured a position for you as Lord Garlan Tyrell’s squire. You need to be off as soon as we can have you readied. Your father will only remain in the city until he can present you and hen he is to take command of the eastern front.”

“Lord Mace has finally seen his worth?” I’m shocked at this, Father has cursed being scorned as long as I can remember.

“It was the son again who argued in our families favor. That the Reach needs a proven winner against the Baratheons and Lord Randall Tarly was the only one in his service.” Her eyes are shining with dreams of what this could mean for our families growth but I’m just looking forward to being so close to the Citadel.

Since it doesn’t seem like I’ll have another chance to ask, I work up the nerve and blurt out my question. “Why are we at war with the other Kingdoms? I even heard it was us who sent the Greyscale to Storm’s End… is that true?”

Mother’s face looks like she’s sucking on a lemon and it takes a few moments o go back to normal. “Those are just rumors being spread by the Baratheons. Your father assured me himself.” Father’s a strict and scary man, but he doesn’t lie.

Aurane Waters
    The King paces back and forth on the prow of the ‘Stag’s Fury’, seemingly immune to the chilly downpour washing over those of us keeping the ship from smashing to pieces. It’s almost like the storm has grown with his rage since receiving word of King’s Landing’s capture.

“You should get back inside your Grace!” I decide someone needs to warn him and his Estermont Kingsguard of the peril brought by wearing so much metal in a storm. “You’ll draw a bolt right to you with that hammer!” Even screaming as loud as I can, my voice is barely heard over the shrieking wind.

He roars with laughter at my concern and I feel like an idiot when his explanation comes, though I have no idea how I was expected to know the information he shares. “Baratheons are friends to the storm. None of us have ever been struck by lightning!”

“I can’t go inside. I’m too close to home and I need to see what they’ve done to my city.” His hands squeeze the railing before him and I can hear the oiled cedar crack under his strength.

We don’t stop at Dragonstone even when they try and signal the passing fleet and I can feel my own anticipation rise. His family is once again in danger and this time he’s close enough to do something himself.

“No eight year old boy planned this. Not even Viserys was that prepared.” The King admits at first I think to his guard, but soon realize is directed towards myself when he puts a meaty hand on my shoulder. “What do you think I should do with ‘King’ Aegon?”

“It’s not my place to speak of such things your Grace,” I’m quick to bow my head and break the energy filled eye contact. “I’m just a bastard deckhand and I don’t know about those kinds of things.

He chuckles grimly and claps me on the back so hard I nearly fall over the railing. “Your business is whatever I say it is, I’m the king. So what do you think I should do with Aegon?”

“If you don’t think he’s responsible for all of this, why does he need to be punished?” I’ve seen how angry he can get and fixed several doors broken already on the voyage. I really don’t want that wrath suddenly coming my way.

“I need to do something with him, or this can just happen again in a decade.” His voice is tired of the world and he removes his hand from my shoulder to rub at his eyes.

I consider what would keep him out of the enemies hands and not make the boy suffer. “Exile somewhere nice, send him to the Citadel, or maybe the Faith?”

Alliser Thorne
    When the raven arrives and the Whent’s are predisposed with yet another one of Brynden’s escape attempts, I’m forced to act as messenger myself. Reading the letter and learning the Greyscale was not some freak accident but intentionally caused by our side, nearly made me collapse in horror.

“Those bastards have been lying to everyone!” My anger leaks out in a snarl as I gather those who I know are most loyal the royal family itself and not their own personal greed like the Whents have shown themselves to be.

I don’t manage to find more than a score I can trust with the truth but with so many of our men out acting as bandits this will have to do. I lead most to the dungeons and have the rest saddle enough horses for us and the prisoners. Six lords who chose loyalty to the Baratheons are in the cells with the Blackfish and all need to be released.

“We’re loyal to the Targaryens and King Viserys did not order any of this before his death.” My words are a grim reminder of how easily we had been mislead in our own rage. “If we truly serve him and his family, we need to honor his last act as King.”

The men agree with firm words and we draw weapons as we enter the dark cells beneath Harrenhal. “Forgive me for being fooled by these craven scum Lord Brynden!” My sword hilt slams into a guards helmet and sends him tumbling backwards unconscious. “We’ve learned what horrors are being committed in Viserys name and will not stand for this betrayal of his wishes.”

“A little late to say just ‘I’m sorry’ and hope everything can be forgiven.” He rubs his wrists when the shackles clang free against the cell wall. Do you have any idea how many people are dead because of your ‘little’ mistake?”

“Well we’d better help stop as many more from occurring as we can, my souls already stained enough as it is.” We don’t have long before the first ‘bandits’ start reporting in and need to be on the road as soon as possible. It’s a long ride to Riverrun and we need to beat the Freys’ head start.

“Oswell is standing guard over the kids!” He realizes with horror on his face and grabs one of the fallen guards, removing his armor as fast as he can. “We can’t waste any time gossiping like maidens, get a move on you lot!”

His bellowed command has the other lords begin dressing in the uniforms we brought and he snarls at me next. “Don’t even think this means I’ve forgiven you. You’re going to face my steel the day this is over.”

“My King is gone because of me and his family blamed for atrocities they had no part in.” If the only way left to prove my loyalty is to be slain by a true knight, it’s the price I’ll gladly pay for all the blood my hands’ helped spill. “If we face pursuit, do not slow down. We will break off in groups of five to buy you the time needed to escape.”​

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  29. ArtMagnus

ArtMagnus Knight Imperion

It's nice to see the good sides of Robert and Alliser. But shouldn't there be a timeskip or something? There's no way that Viserys could have reached Valyria at the same time as all this is going on.

30. Flightless Man

GRRM's PoV's aren't in chronological order, only in rough clusters. I didn't want to wait until Westeros was finished and then do all of Viserys trip. He's about 3 months ahead of Westeros.