1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

One-shot story: Five-Second Romance (OC short)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mark Jordan, Nov 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mark Jordan

Mark Jordan Getting out there.

I hope this is okay here. It's not really a genre thing, just a quick story that came to mind while I was driving.

Five-Second Romance

I looked up from the book I was reading, when she walked by slowly with her chubby legs. Her brown curls were a little unkempt, and she was glancing around, looking concerned. She looked about four years old. And she was one of the most beautiful people I had ever seen. "Mom?" she called out, but she wasn't very loud over the crowd at the mall. I was sitting with a book, passing the time between shopping and lunch time.

I stood up.

She glanced my way, and suddenly she broke into a big smile. "Hello there. Do you need help?" I asked. She nodded. "I can't find my mom."

I wondered why she smiled so readily. Maybe she was just trusting. "Where did you last see her?"

She frowned in concentration. "There was a clothing store back there... and then a candy store."

"Oh, I think I know the place. Follow me." She grabbed my right hand and held on, surprising me, but I held on too. Maybe she didn't want to get lost yet again. Soon we were in the general area. "Hold on just a moment." I let go and stood on a bench, looking around the crowd. I saw a woman with long, straight brown hair, looking around the crowd. I stepped down, took the little girl's hand, and led her that way. I was right!

"Alaura!" cried the woman. Alaura let go of my hand and ran to her mom, hugging her leg. "Thank you for helping her!"

"No worries. I happened to be in the right place at the right time." I started to turn to leave, but Alaura tugged on her mom's sleeve and gave her a look.

"Wait, if you're not busy, we would like to treat you to lunch."

"Hmm, I was about to grab lunch at the Grill Line."

"Alaura loves the Grill Line!"

We walked together in that direction, and Alaura took my left hand and her mother's right hand. We went through brief introductions. The woman's name was Rosemary.

"Alaura here has... I guess you could call it a superpower. She's very intuitive about people and knows who is safe. She must have known at first glace you were someone she could trust. Otherwise she never would have let you help her." Alaura squeezed my hand.

Since it was a bit early for lunch, we were seated right away in a booth, Alaura right across from me and Rosemary next to her. The smell of food cooking reminded me that I was actually quite hungry. I ordered... something. I quickly forgot what it was, but Alaura ordered a kids' hamburger meal with a strawberry milkshake. I didn't notice what Rosemary ordered either.

Rosemary smiled at me, but her eyes were a little narrowed. "Alaura, tell me more about our new friend Bingley." Alaura smiled a smile that seemed a bit too large for her small, round face. I took a sip from my water glass and raised my eyebrows.

"Bingely here thinks I'm like, super beautiful. I think they'd like to go on a date with me. Maybe even kiss me." I almost dropped my water glass. Rosemary raised one eyebrow. "But they're super good and super nice. They wouldn't do that stuff for real."

"I..."

"I told you she has a superpower. I've probably met other people like you, but this is the first time I've known for sure. I'm glad to know, as I suspected, that some are completely trustworthy."

I put my glass down and picked up a napkin, dabbing an eye a little. "I'm glad to hear that."

"If you wouldn't mind, we'd love to have lunch or dinner again some time."

Alaura heard this and frowned. "But Mom, Bingley doesn't want to date you."

Rosemary grinned. "I know, but I think a chaperone would be appropriate." Alaura shrugged.

"Wait, are you really sure?"

"Definitely! Alaura likes you, and there are a lot of questions I'd like to ask you, if you don't mind."

"Yay!" said Alaura, raising her hands.

"Great!" I said.

Rosemary handed her card to Alaura and sent her off to pay the bill. Then she came back.

I stood up.

I stood up from the bench. I rubbed my eyes. The little girl had just walked past, calling for her mom. "Becca, there you are!"

"Mom!" Her mom had short blond hair.

Becca took her mom's hand, and they walked off together. I looked at the time, closed my book, and headed to the Grill Line. I ordered a kids' hamburger meal and a strawberry shake and went back to reading my book.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  2. WeebTrashMachine

WeebTrashMachine Homete homete!

Wtf that was good and wholesome but sad and depressing all at once -.-
    You should write more~

3. Mark Jordan

Why thank you! "Good and wholesome but sad and depressing all at once" is a pretty fitting description. What would you think of more of Bingley's daydreams? If I can come up with more... I do have a few ideas that aren't at all fleshed out, circling around in my head.

WeebTrashMachine likes this.
  4. WeebTrashMachine

Why not? If he's going to keep having so many sad moments I hope he ends up with a happy ending eventually!

5. WeebTrashMachine

I want to see more :>

6. Mark Jordan

Thanks for the poke! Gotta work on one of my projects soon...

WeebTrashMachine likes this.
  7. WeebTrashMachine

Well...didja work on any? =>