1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Teacher is a Devil (Youjo Senki x BNHA)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Morte_Perpetua, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Extras: Tanya's 1-B lesson - Extended Cut
    apeljohn

apeljohn Non-Player Character

"In fact, I would explicitly not have given this test to Class 1A. Can anyone guess why?"

After a moment's silence, a student raised her hand. "Um... because Jirou-san would have been able to hear your assistant coming too easily?"

Tanya raised an eyebrow. "A tactically astute answer - good work Reiko-chan - but no. My assistant is perfectly capable of bypassing sensory quirks by a number of methods. Any other guesses?"

A green-haired girl spoke up. "Because the 1A students might have lashed out and hurt her when she dropped down?"

"I assure you, Ibara-chan, there would be little chance of my teaching assistant being hurt," Tanya said, studiously ignoring Himiko's smirk. "But you're actually fairly close." The class buzzed with whispers at her words, until she slammed a hand down on her desk, silencing them immediately.

"Yuuei Academy is the best Hero School in the country! This is generally accepted! But what is less well-known to the civilian population is why this is so. In short: we are the Hero School that teaches all the things that graduates of other schools wish they had been taught!"

She continued in a more normal tone. "As you would typically have discovered going into your third year, one of those subjects is Heroic Psychology. This is a field that Japanese society in general, and the Hero Public Safety Commission in particular, likes to pretend doesn't exist. You should be extremely glad that Principal Nedzu has enough political capital - was willing to expend enough political capital - to overrule them.

"Why? Because, in this era of relative peace, the single greatest cause of death in the heroic profession can be roughly described as 'suicide by villain'. Heroes going into situations that they were unprepared for - that they knew they were unprepared for, often deliberately or gratuitously so - against adversaries known for using lethal force, and essentially offering up their throats to madmen. Because a lifetime of combat stress can break a person down, and having to maintain professionalism throughout that career can accelerate the decline, and eventually many are willing to do whatever it takes to make it stop." She paused for a moment, as if lost in thought, before shaking herself roughly and continuing with the lecture.

"Principal Nedzu's support for the research, teaching and practice of Heroic Psychology is the primary reason why Yuuei graduates, over the course of their careers, have a twenty percent lower SBV mortality rate than their peers from other schools. That is gross not proportional: from a typical graduating hero class of twenty, the Principal's innovations will save no less than four lives.

"One of the key findings of this research - codified by none other than our own Hound Dog - is the importance of the period immediately after a hero is first blooded in combat against villains. In short: it is vital that young heroes be given time to recover their equilibrium, and rebuild their peace-time routine, before being thrust back into the crucible. That includes anything that could trigger a true fight-or-flight response.

"And that," she concluded, taking a deep breath, "is why Class 1A will not find my assistant jumping out of vents at them. For them it would be, not an amusing learning opportunity, but a potentially-harmful reminder of a traumatic experience."

A solemn silence spread through the classroom, before being broken by an unwelcome voice.

"So, wait," said Monoma. "You're saying that you wouldn't test Class 1A like that because they'd be too scared?! Oh, this is priceless! Hahahaha... hah... heh... um..." The blond troublemaker's uproarious laughter slowly petered off as he noticed the utterly enraged glare being directed at him by the two women at the front of the classroom.

"Well," said Tanya through gritted teeth, "I had intended for this to be a one-off demonstration to introduce my assistant. However, it appears some students could gain value from a more... comprehensive introduction to the importance of situational awareness." Ignoring Kuroiro's muttered "yeah, definitely buying a crotch protector," she turned to Himiko.

"Assistant-san, would you have some time now to discuss the specifics? I feel that this class has reached a natural end point for the day." Still struggling to contain her fury, she stomped from the room, her friend trailing after her.

The classroom was silent again for a moment before the yelling started.

---------------

That day was notable for being the last time Monoma complained about Class 1A. None of his fellow students brought up his rapid change of heart.

Nor did they discuss the loud screams from his room at 3am the following morning, or the way he would subsequently break into a cold sweat every time Assistant-san waved cheerfully at him. After all, it would be inconsiderate to rub another hero's trauma in their face, right?

Alone in her office, Tanya smiled in satisfaction.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Hecraz, StarPortal, Alec and 47 others like this.