1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Q. Rule 4 and New Accounts due to Email Spam issues.

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Thrans, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Thrans

Thrans If specified, you can replace this.

About two weeks back my original account (that used a Hotmail email address) had its 30 day security two step verification check happen, and to my surprise no email showed up. It was only then I noticed the announcment about issues with some email providers blocking emails.

Unable to log in and access QQ due to having never set-up/checked Back up codes, and nobody on the IRC seeming to have any suggestions when I asked, I sat back to twiddle my thumbs in the hopes it would be fixed in the morning.

It was not, unsurprisingly after all it christmas then new year.

However, after having waited two weeks, and with nothing to tide me over on SB, AH, SV, FF.net and finally finishing my copy of 'Guns Germs and Steel' on Audible (Which I must have purchased about five years ago) I with far to little sleep, have created the imaginatively named 'Thrans2021' to replace my old account that I cannot access 'Thrans'

However 'Rule 4'

While creating a new account (for the reasons I have said) I may be in breach of rule 4, thus I would ask for clarification.

I did not choose to abandon Thrans, a 3rd party has cut of my access to my account, the announcement banner's wording suggests to me that it is unknown when it will be fixed, so with my admitted impatience, I have after approximately two weeks decided to create this new account and have accepted that I will never again log in to Thrans.

The question is, did I break the rules.

Edited: Due to spell cheaker F'ups

Edit 2: For anyone reading this in the future I am now 'Thrans' again as apparently accounts can be merged, still very please to be back in my 'old skin' so to speak, now to deal with 100+ notifications.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

We don't consider making this account to be a rule violation given this mitigating circumstance. However, we don't allow people to keep second accounts, either.

We can work to restore access to the Thrans account so that you can continue using that one.

DeclanDSI, 95spartans, Ttw1 and 8 others like this.