• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Registration security question problem

notgreat

Know what you're doing yet?
The first time I tried to register, I got the problem 2 minus two (num). When I put in the correct answer (0), it kept on rejecting it. In the end I just redid the whole registration process and it worked perfectly from there on out, so no harm done, but it is something you may want to look into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very strange.

The question is set with the right answer in the settings. I don't know why it wouldn't accept it.

I recall someone telling me about this when I was registering. Apparently you were supposed to answer the question with 'two' (or something similar that was the wrong answer) in order to pass. At the time I thought it was some weird hazing mechanism, didn't know it was a bug.

Emdemian said:
I recall someone telling me about this when I was registering. Apparently you were supposed to answer the question with 'two' (or something similar that was the wrong answer) in order to pass. At the time I thought it was some weird hazing mechanism, didn't know it was a bug.

There is more than one question.

VS7J45b.png

So this is still a thing that's happening.

Perhaps its a problem registering 0 as an answer; maybe the code reads "0" by itself as a failed response.

Regardless, this broken question popped up no less than 8 times while trying to register. Each time I had to backspace, restart the registration process, and hope to god 2 minus two (number) didn't show up on the list of security questions. It was rather tedious.

If you cannot figure out why it is broken, may I suggest you remove the question? Maybe even replace it with something else. Its currently not working and having it makes registration rather difficult.

I went and asked on the SMF support forum about this, and it turns out 0 is not an acceptable answer due to coding. :/

The question has been changed to another.

The 2 minus two question got me too. I'm now trying and failing to imagine the code that would cause this.

OccularOctorok said:
Perhaps its a problem registering 0 as an answer; maybe the code reads "0" by itself as a failed response.

Regardless, this broken question popped up no less than 8 times while trying to register. Each time I had to backspace, restart the registration process, and hope to god 2 minus two (number) didn't show up on the list of security questions. It was rather tedious.

If you cannot figure out why it is broken, may I suggest you remove the question? Maybe even replace it with something else. Its currently not working and having it makes registration rather difficult.

Nice guesswork!

confusopoly said:
The 2 minus two question got me too. I'm now trying and failing to imagine the code that would cause this.

Depending on how the code works, 0 could represent NULL or the default. In the case of a switch where the only branches of code are a correct response or NULL, null would happen for everything but the correct answer.

Now if NULL was represented by 0 in the code, putting in 0 for the answer would be the same thing as the value representing a failed response. Even if 0 was the right answer, it would go straight to failure. In essence, the right answer was the default number to cause a failure.

Yeah I actually got hit with that the first 3 times I tried to register before. Then I just moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back