1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule 8 Question

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Jiro, May 19, 2022.

1. Jiro

Jiro Getting sticky.

In my quest the vote, from what few readers I have, came up to include Exorcist. Given his power, which can "cure" homosexuality, would it be okay to use him without violating rule 8 or other rules?

(I do have permission from the original author of Camera Shy as well.)

Solusandra and Astrobot like this.
  2. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

... What.
    WHAT!?

oooooooh boy that's a slippery slope leading to a spiked pit right there.

Surprised SB didn't raise a modicum of fuss about that.

3. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

He's an antagonist in the fic, hence lack of mod action.

Lots of people did go bananas, though.

4. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Theoretically it's fine... but the topic of "curing homosexuality" can be a contentious topic.

5. Gindjurra

Gindjurra Versed in the lewd.

Contentious isn’t the word. Is there a word for juggling bottles of nitroglycerin in the middle of a gasoline refinery? Dunno.

But given sexual identity seems to be more of a set of slider bars than a single toggle, if the character can ‘cure’ both male and female homosexuals, then they can ‘cure’ heterosexuality too, but just choose not to. There’s lots of things that some rando might view as a problem to correct that the person who has it does not (and I won’t list any of the ones I’ve run into in life because that would be throwing those nitro bottles at the refinery).

Some human cultures have weird hangups about things, but those hangups are more likely to be mental illness than what they’re about - for example, there are animal species that exceed 70% homosexual, as their natural state.

6. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

In general, it's very difficult to break Rule 8 with story text. QQ is fundamentally designed to host stories and quests, so we try to keep the limitations on their content as light as possible. So far the only stories we've banned on Rule 8 grounds were those that included actual modern politicians as characters, in a contentious way.

Using that character and that power in-story is fine. As always when there are potentially contentious topics in the story, you (and others) should exercise caution to avoid political derails in the thread.

7. Vaporwave

Vaporwave A Sapient Prism of Technicolor Radiance

That... Doesn't sound right, not in the sense of I think it's impossible for an animal to be gay, but it doesn't seem like something that could exist as a literal majority, implying either said examples are smart enough to distinguish and say 'fuck my instincts',like a dolphin, parrot, or elephant. The spectrum could be that they're literally too stupid to reproduce, such as a fruit fly.

Judge_Dragon likes this.
  8. daniel_gudman

daniel_gudman KING (in land of blind)

the gayest of all animals, which is, of course, the giraffe

Anyway the math works out pretty easily; suppose a mammal system where 10-25% of males reproduce in a polygamous system (examples: gorillas, lions, seals, horses) where one male has a "harem" of females and a proportionate number of males don't reproduce at all; well if those males form homosexual pair bonds, is that "gay?" Maybe, in as much as we're applying emotional systems of our particular type of primate onto other animals. Keeping in mind there are life-cycle effects, where a young adult male can pair up with another young male, and might eventually seize a harem when they get older.

Vorian likes this.