1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY | Grimm Tales

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Camron Davis, Feb 14, 2016.

?

How Do You Like Grimm Tales?

1. It's Fantastic!

36.4%
  2. It's Pretty Good! Not Perfect, But Still Good.

36.4%
  3. It's Okay.

18.2%
  4. Meh. Nothin' Special.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not Really Into It, Sorry.

9.1%
  1. Threadmarks: Master Index
    Camron Davis

Camron Davis Getting some practice in, huh?

[​IMG]

This is the tale of a little red girl destined for pain...
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Grimm Tales is a tale about one little red girl named Ruby living in a dark world.

After suffering tragedy after tragedy, her spirit has become broken and her hope has been sapped completely, making her a nervous, cynical wreck. Two years following a rather horrifying event, she finds herself residing in the city of Vale along with her big sister, Yang. From there, they will meet many interesting characters and, unintentional, get involved in many touching, horrifying, laugh-out-loud, heartwarming stories that make up this tale.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

• Latest Updates •

Story Update: Chapter 1 Scene 4

• Story Table of Contents •

0: A Tale of the Little Red Girl [Read] - [Fully illustrated Version]
    1: A Tale of Two Sisters [Scene 1] - [Scene 2] - [Scene 3] - [Scene 4]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. Threadmarks: 0 | The Little Red Girl
    Camron Davis

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This chapter is also fully illustrated. If you wish to read that version, click the following link:

[0: A Tale of the Little Red Girl (Fully Illustrated)]

Once upon a time… there was a little red girl…

This little red girl had dreams filled with roses. These dreams were reoccurring and exactly the same as the ones before.

In these dreams, she would be sleeping in a vast field of bright green grass and red roses, an ocean of blue hanging above.

As a soft wind blew through her crimson red hair, she would stir awake.

She'd sit up rubbing her large, silver eyes, rested from her long nap. Fully awake, she would stand to her two little feet and stretch, a loud yawn escaping her lips. All the while, an innocent smile was etched across her face.

All of a sudden, a white rose petal would gently fall, encapsulating her with it’s beauty. A strong wind would roll through and the little red girl would begin to notice more of the beautiful rose petals circle her.

Like a whirlwind of beauty, the wind carried the white roses in an alluring spiral above the child. For some reason, this occurrence entranced her. She found herself hypnotized by the white that surrounded her. It somehow… made her feel calm… safe… warm…

That was when she felt a presence. A familiar, yet unknown aura, alluring, beckoning. It is not long before she finds the source… and sees her.

A beautiful white cloaked figure, perched in the middle of the seemingly endless field of roses.

She would look to the long, white-coated figure with astonishment of how one being could be that gorgeous. Her eyes would sparkle in wonder, but she would also be strangely nervous. She was always worried about going up to the beautiful cloaked figure, afraid of bothering it’s silent meditating.

However, in spite of that fear, she would always approach, whether she wanted to or not. The pure sight of that lone figure would cause her mind to go blank and she would heed to the alluring calls of the beauty before her. Slowly, she walked to her destination and reached out. The white cloak would be in her reach. She would simply need to grab hold of it. So, she would. And every time she did…

A red sea would appear…

A body of blood red would stretch endlessly. A dark sky loomed above. Over the horizon, a large red moon sat, piercing into her fragile heart. The light would shine and illuminate her sole existence in that horrid place.

“Why…? Why does this keep happening…?” she would ask. “Why do I keep coming here…?!”

She would bash her head and pinch herself, bite her own arm until blood pooled down it, yank her own red hair, and even fall into the red sea. But it would never matter… She would always float back to the surface and she would always see the same dark sky and the same red moon. As she floats there, sad, scared, alone… she feels tears start to stream down her cheeks.

“I don’t want to do this anymore… I don’t want to come here… I hate this place… I want to go home, mama… Please just take me home… Please…”

But every time… no one would answer. And every time… she was forever alone…

Such is the tale of the little red girl…

[​IMG]

And as time flows on through a never-ending stream of fate… this tale will begin…

Master Index | Next Chapter >

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Xmaster3000, ShadowNic94 and Harpy81 like this.
  3. Harpy81

Harpy81 Versed in the lewd.

Watched

Camron Davis likes this.
  4. Camron Davis

=D

5. Threadmarks: 1 | Two Sisters
    Camron Davis

< Previous Chapter | Master Index | Next Scene >

[​IMG]

This is Remnant.

This is the world we live in. It’s a world full of wonder and beauty. It is also a world filled with darkness and strife. Mankind resides under the mercy of a beast. A beast we know as Grimm: harbingers of destruction and vessels of darkness. They seek one thing and one thing only: to bring about the desolation of all life. They are driven by nothing other than that.

Humanity, however, did not take too kindly to such malicious agendas. Humanity rose to the challenge and decided to fight back with it’s oppressors in an all out war to maintain their right to life in this beautiful yet cruel world.

Specially chosen individuals are chosen to combat the creatures of black and send them back to the depths of Hell from which they came. They are the last line of defense against the Grimm, and the only thing keeping humanity from facing extinction.

These warriors are known as Hunters. They are our last hope for survival.

A simple of tale of good and evil is all this is on the surface. But when has anything ever been that simple? Why would such a conflict boil down to such black and white morals? How could anyone ever believe such a tale as this? No… This is not the story of humanity’s plight against the darkness. This isn't the legend of a simple war. This is not the folklore of heroes and villains.

This is the tale of a path of darkness that one young girl will be forced to take. A tale of a small child living in this beautiful yet cruel world we call home. A tale of her life in the ever growing void of darkness we call Remnant.

This is the tale of a little red girl destined for pain…

And this tale begins in a small town. A small town called Patch. A small town a certain little red girl called home.

[​IMG]
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

[​IMG]

“Ruby… Ruby!”

She turns in the direction of the voice that called out to her. The much older blonde man smiles from his seat on the bench. She gives him a questioning look as she pulls down her red headphones from her ears. He simply points behind the young girl, prompting her to look in the direction he motioned to. Her lips parted and her eyes widened at the sight.

“Is that…?”

The golden blonde hair made the woman stand out from the crowd of wandering civilians going about their own business. Her sparkling purple eyes wandered around the area most likely in search of the family that had been waiting for her arrival. She held a large duffle bag in her left hand, her bandaged right carrying a small, ruffled piece of paper. The young redhead wanted to yell out for the blonde’s attention, but that wouldn’t be necessary. She finds herself staring into bright purple eyes as she’s finally noticed.

[​IMG]

A large smile spreads across the older girl’s face and she begins to wave excitedly at the child. Taking up her travel bag, she starts to walk over fast. However, the young girl can no longer contain herself and she sprints the rest of the way. The moment the distance is closed between the two girls, Ruby wraps her arms around the blonde tightly, a large smile on her face.

[​IMG]

“God, I missed this,” the blonde says as she returns her little sister’s warm embrace.

“I missed you, Yang…” Ruby says softly, an uncontainable happiness in her voice.

Yang smiles as she buries her face into her sibling’s red hair. “Right back at ya’, sis…”

“Yang Xiao Long, what is with that hair?!”

She could actually feel her older sister go stiff at the sound of their mother’s voice. Ruby, arms still around Yang, turns to her mother to see her walking toward the two with her arms crossed over her chest.

“Why the hell is it so long?” her mother nags. “Do they not have barbershops up in Vale City?”

“Good to see you, too, mom. Yeah, I’m fine, how about you? Of course I had fun at school. It was a blast,” Yang says sarcastically.

“Don’t you get smart with me, you little ass. Did I, or did I not tell you take care of yourself while away? Why did you let your hair grow out so much?”

“Mom! I just got home. Do you think you could hold off on the nagging until we at least get to the house?”

“Song, are really going to bash on Yang already?” their dad steps in, sounding just as annoyed as Yang did.

“You bet your ass I’m gonna bash on her,” her mom says. “I mean, look at that hair, it reaches down to the back of her friggin’ knees!”

“Swear.” Ruby decides to cut in.

Her mother looks down at her. “What?”

“You said a swear. You know swearing isn’t allowed, Song.”

Her mom’s eye twitches at Ruby’s words and Yang can be seen smirking mockingly at the much older blonde.

“Okay, whatever,” she says, throwing her hands up, vexed, “Little piss-ant…”

“Swear,” Ruby catches that.

“Oh my god, how did you even hear…?! Fine! Sheesh! Can we just go home and get some dinner already?”

Yang grins at Ruby as their mother storms off, still going off at the mouth. “God, I missed you, baby sis.”

The redhead smiles up at her sister.

“Want me to get that for you, sweetie?” their dad asks Yang, pointing to her bag.

“Nah, I got it, pops. Come on, sis, I’ve been on that train for hours and I am starving.”

“Yeah,” Ruby says as she takes Yang’s free hand. “Song made a huge meal for us, too!”

“Really? What’d she cook?”

“Oh, a whole bunch of stuff! It’s practically a feast at home! When we left she had just made…”

The two sister’s conversation goes on as they walk to the car. Their father places his hands in his pockets with a small grin. “Looks like the gang’s all back together.”

With that, he follows behind his family to get his girls home and fill their bellies up with his wife’s heavenly cooking.

< Previous Chapter | Master Index | Next Scene >

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  6. Camron Davis

< Previous Scene | Master Index | Next Scene >

Chapter 1 Scene 2

Night Terrors

• Present Day: 3 Months Later •

"Guh!"

She gasps loudly as her eyes snap open. Her skin was covered in a cold sweat, the top of her tank top drenched. She could feel herself trembling a little as if this were the first time she had a moment like this. But, no matter how many times she went through this same song and dance, she would never get used to it.

Taking deep breaths, she takes a moment to calm down. When her heart finally starts to beat at a more manageable pace, she slowly raises herself up from the bed she lay on. Her eyes adjust to the dark of the apartment bedroom as she scans around the area. A dim moonlight seeped through the curtains next to her bed.

Across from her was a second bed, occupied at the moment. The body of her sister lies with her back to Ruby, making no indication that she had heard Ruby's cry.

The red haired girl puts her face in her hands and groans. Throwing the covers aside, she swings her feet out of bed and stands up from it. She walks toward the desk that sat between the two beds and reaches for the chair draped in her familiar red hoodie. She swings the garment over her shoulders and puts her arms through the sleeves before adjusting and zipping the jacket up.

Pulling the hood over her head, she walks toward the door and-

“Sis…"

The young girl stops short just before coming into contact with the doorknob, but doesn't turn toward her blonde sister.

"Same dream?" Yang asks. Ruby nods her head. "You okay?"

Ruby sighs and takes the knob in hand. "Yeah, I'm... I'll live. Just getting some air."

"Need me to join you?"

Ruby opens the door. "I'll be okay. Go back to sleep, Yang." With that, she closes the door, leaving her older sister to sigh and fall back to her pillow.

The door to the rooftop opens and Ruby walks out onto it, shutting the door behind herself. She strides over to the railing at the edge, her hands in the pockets of her hoodie. She reaches the rail post and leans over it, her eyes looking over the large expanse of Vale City.

It shined bright in the 4 a.m. night as the night owls explored the late hours of the city. Minors were meant to be indoors at this time, courtesy of the curfew hours set on them. Though, honestly, anybody would normally be in doors this late into the night anyhow.

However, Ruby wasn't so lucky to be able to simply lie in bed and "call it a day". Her constant dreams made sure of that.

She reaches into her jacket and withdraws a red booklet, complete with fuzzy bunny pen. She took a moment to look at it and shake it's bobbing head, smirking at the amusing little guy. After the moment of childishness, she flips the book to the next open page and begins to write.

Same dream again...

But was else is new? This is the second time tonight it's happened. That red water, the black moon... Is that the only thing my mind can think up? I know I should be far too used to the nightmare by now, but... I don't know, I never can just do that. It's easier said than done.

I'm actually scared to go back to sleep right now, because I know it's just going to repeat like all the other times. I don't want to see those horrible images again. I don't want to ever be that scared... I don't like it…

She finds herself yawning and rubbing her baggy eyes.

Feels like forever since I’ve actually gotten any sleep. These bags aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, that’s for sure.

Maybe one day they'll stop. That's the only thing I can hope for at this point. Unlike everything else that hurts me, I can't just obliterate those thoughts. I wish I could, though. I wish that stupid dream would die...

She shuts the book, not feeling the slightest bit of relief from the jotting of her thoughts. If anything, she just wasted her time with that. She hops up on top of the railing and sits down. Her eyes wander up to the dark blue sky above, no stars in sight. Her eyes slowly shut and she lets the cool air wrap around her in hopes of the bad dreams being carried off in the wind.

"Like that's ever gonna happen..." she says to herself.

She can hear the door open behind her. She doesn't even bother turning around, as she already knows who it was that came up. Her eyes roll at the fact that she called this happening.

"Could have sworn I said I was okay,” she says.

"Well, you know how I am with you." Ruby finds her neck entangled in the arms of her sister, Yang. The blonde puts her chin on top of Ruby's head. "You've been up here an hour. Just checking on ya', that's all."

"You didn't have to."

"If I didn't, I would never get back to sleep."

The two sisters stare out into the cityscape, not talking for a moment. Ruby's hand comes up and takes hold of a strand of Yang's long blond hair hanging down, playing with it between her fingers.

"You should really get this cut,” Ruby says. "It's getting pretty long."

"You already know what I'm about to say to that, so why do you keep bringing it up?”

"I do it just to mess with you, sis."

"Well, you enjoy ‘messing with me’, but if you touch my hair, I will end you, ya' little butt sniffer."

"I'm touching it."

"Har-Har. Don't get smart with me,” Yang says as she lightly smack Ruby's forehead. "It's like you're getting more sarcastic by the day."

"I've gotta keep up with you. Can't have you being the only jerk, now can we?"

"I am not a jerk. I am offended you would even think something like that about your own sister. You’re gonna make me cry."

Ruby mock gasps as she turns around toward Yang. "Well that just will not do. I cannot let such a travesty stand." That's when Ruby jumps down and takes the hem of Yang's shirt in hands.

Yang looks alarmed. "Sis? W-What are you doing?"

"Well, I can't have my big sister crying? As a responsible younger sibling such as myself, I must mend this atrocity by the only means I can think of at the moment." Ruby lifts Yang's shirt, revealing her navel.

Yang's eyes widen as she realizes what's about to happen. "Oh my god, Ruby, you better not."

"Too late."

"Ruby, I swear to Christ."

"Go ahead. Still gonna do it."

"Ruby!"

"That's my name."

Taking a deep breath, Ruby plants her lips on Yang's exposed stomach and blows, giving the blonde a raspberry.

"Oh my-hahahaha!!" Yang begins to laugh hysterically, trying desperately to push Ruby off of her. "Ruby- hahahah!! Ruby, stop! Rub-"

She falls to her back as Ruby continue to blow. Tears start to form in the blonde's eyes as she laughs uncontrollably.

"Ruby, please- hahahaha!! Please, sis, I'm beggin' ya'- hahaha!! Ruby, stop!"

Finally satisfied, Ruby lets up and looks down at the erratically breathing Yang. A smile pulls on her lips and Ruby can't help but to chuckle a little.

Yang looks up at Ruby. "You are... a little bastard... you know that...?" she says between deep breaths.

"Swear."

"Oh shut up." Her head falls to the rooftop and she continues to try and catch her breath.

Ruby decides to join her and lies down next to Yang, the two now looking up to the sky above. Ruby turns to her sister and pokes her cheek playfully. ”I love you."

"Yeah, I guess you're okay, too,” Yang says back.

Ruby chuckles again.

The two sisters are silent as they stare up at the dark sky. Ruby would have liked to see some stars, but knew that wouldn’t really be possible considering how big of a city they were in. Never the less, she felt relaxed lying next to her big sister.

"Your dream..." Ruby turns her head to Yang, who had just spoken. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

Ruby averts her gaze back to the sky. "No... Not really.”

Yang sighs and turns to Ruby, leaning up on one arm. "Come on, sis, talk to me."

"I said I don't want to, Yang."

"I have been asking about that same dream for years now, and it’s only gotten worse since we got here. Why won't you just let me help?"

Ruby leans up. "There is nothing to help me with, Yang. It's my problem, not yours. Now drop. It.”

"Well, at least let me try. I'm your big sister, kiddo. I'm just worried that this dream of yours is affecting you and all. You aren’t sleeping, you’re having hallucinations; I don't like seeing you like this."

"Like what, Yang? Huh? What is so wrong with me that you're acting like I'm hurt or something?"

"Because you might be. I won't know if you don't tell me.”

”Well, nothing's wrong with me. I'm fine. It's just a stupid nightmare. I can deal with it.” Ruby stands up and starts for the door.

"That is bull, Ruby, and you know it! This thing is eating at you, and you need help! Ya' can't deal with it alone! I may not be Song, but I can still try to do something for you!”

Ruby abruptly stops at the name Yang just said and she turns back to her, an angered expression on her face as she advances for her sister. "Don't you ever bring up her name...!"

Yang looks back, equally as mad now. "What, my own mother's name? I can't talk about my own mother?!"

Ruby is face to face with Yang now. "She has nothing to do with this!"

"Well tough shit, Ruby, because I want to talk about her! I am not gonna keep pretending she didn't exist just because you do! That is our mother, and we are going to talk about her, about dad, and about every damn thing else!"

Ruby shoves Yang, the blonde stumbling back. The red head's teeth are grit. "You are walking on mighty thin ice here, Yang... Leave her out of this..."

Yang stands up straight, unflinching as the two sisters stare each other in the eye. "...She was here, Ruby... She was alive... Believe it, or not..."

Ruby stares Yang down for a moment longer, her body trembling. Suddenly, she turns and runs for the door, opens it, then slams it shut, leaving Yang alone. The older girl collapses to the floor and balls her fist.

"She was here, sis..." she says to herself.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  7. Camron Davis

Chapter 1 Scene 3

Family Feast

“Oh my god, thank the lord! Finally! I’ve waited so long for some real food!”

Their mother laughs at Yang’s humorous reaction as she carries the last tray of the large dinner to the table. “What, the food at Beacon that bad, or something?”

“Nah, I wouldn’t say it’s terrible. It just ain’t this! No one beats your cooking, ma’!”

Song puts the plate on the table and snorts. “Well, at least I know I’m guaranteed approval from you. Dig in, kiddo, have as much as you want.”

“Well, don’t mind if I do!” And thus, Yang proceeds to stuff as much food in her face as it would allow her to.

“Hey, don’t hog it all to yourself! Let me get in on that action!” Song says as she watches her daughter drown herself in various dishes.

And thus, Song decides to show off where her daughter’s ungodly appetite comes from and starts to chuck even more food into her own mouth.

Ruby and her dad look back and forward between the two female blondes, the male blonde sipping on his cup of coffee. “Ah, it’s good to have the whole family back together. So, Yang, did you have a good time at Beacon?” Yang’s father decides to cut into mother and daughter’s food massacre.

Yang stops herself from putting another fork full in her mouth and swallows what she already had been chewing on. She lets out a loud belch and answers the question asked. “Oh, you have no idea how awesome it was there! Other than the boring required courses, everything else was freakin’ sweet!”

Song swallows her food and speaks. “They teach you much this time around? That old fart Port still there?”

Yang groans loudly at the name. “Oh, he’s still there all right. Don’t even get me started on ‘Professor Pork’. It was an actual struggle to get through one of his classes without wanting to punch myself unconscious. The guy’s worse than watching paint dry.”

Their mother laughs. “Actually, I think that might be better than sitting through one of his lectures.” The mother and daughter share a laugh, Ruby smiling at the scene.

“So, Yang, how much did you learn about being a Huntress? Anything interesting?” Ruby asks, taking a bite from her chicken.

Yang stuffs a fork full of rice into her mouth. “Eh, kind of sort of. Most of it was stuff mom had taught me beforehand. What kinds of Grimm there are, their sweet spots, formations; all that jazz. But, we did get to see some Grimm up close and personal.”

Ruby audibly gasps at that. “You’re joking!”

Their father lifts a curious brow at that. “Yang, I don’t believe early year students get to see Grimm that-“

Before he can finish what he was trying to say, a loud clearing of the throat from Song interrupts him. He looks over to see what she wanted. Rather than speak, she simply smirks and shakes her head, putting a finger to her lips in a ‘shush’ manner. Then, she discreetly points to the sparkly eyed Ruby next to her. Tanner takes the hint and can’t help but to chuckle.

“You know what, never mind. It’s not important.”

“They actually let you fight real Grimm?!” Ruby continues to gush, not seeming to have heard her dad speak.

“Thaaaat’s right!” Yang says. “Got to take on a whole group of Beowolves once. We even fought some Ursi.”

Ruby’s hands shoot up to her mouth. “How many…?” Yang smirks and puts up three of her fingers, causing Ruby’s eyes to almost pop out of their sockets. “Oh my gosh, I have to go to Beacon! It sounds amazing there!”

“Whoa, slow down there, baby girl,” their father says while putting his cup down, “You still have two more years at Signal before you can even think about Beacon. And you still have to be accepted.”

Ruby sighs. “I know-I know. I’m just really excited to go there is all. I can hardly wait.”

Yang perks up at the short conversation. “You… want to apply to Beacon?”

"Yeah, of course!” Ruby answers enthusiastically. “I’m gonna become a Huntress just like you and Song!”

“Don’t worry Yang, we’re just as surprised as you,” their mother speaks up. “She only just recently told us, too.”

“I’ve been training really hard this whole time. I even managed to get into the Hunter regime and forge my… Oh snap, that’s right! I almost forgot! Yang, I want to show you something I’ve been saving as a surprise for when you came home! Hold on just one second, I’ll go get it!”

“Wait, go get what?” Yang tries to ask her sister as she runs off. “What are you about to show me?” She sighs then turns to her parents.

“Give it a minute,” her dad says.

A few seconds later, footsteps can be heard rushing back to the dining room area. Ruby rushes in, stumbling as she tries to stop in her run. She stands erect while holding something behind her back with a huge smile her face.

Yang can’t help but to smile and raise her brow. “Well, you gonna show me what you’ve got there?”

Ruby chuckles, before taking on a confident expression and revealing what was behind her back. “Ta-Da!”

And it’s… a red… thing…

The two sisters stare at each other for a moment, Ruby never leaving her stance. Yang waits for something to happen, but, ultimately, nothing really does.

“Okay… What is it?” she asks, breaking the silence.

“Well, what does it look like?” Ruby asks.

“A red thing-a-ma-gigger.”

Ruby groans. “No, Yang, it is not just a ‘red thing-a-ma-gigger'. It’s… Guh, just hang on a second.”

That’s when Ruby takes her red… thing and holds it out in front of her. She tampers with the object and a clicking sound is heard. The object starts to unfold and grow before Yang’s eyes. A blade elongates from the tip and Ruby swings it over her shoulder, assuming a cheesy pose, complete with "V" sign.

“Well? What do you think?”

Yang stares. “…That’s a scythe.”

“Yes, Yang. It’s a scythe.”

“It’s a really big scythe.”

“It’s also a customizable, high impact, sniper rifle.”

“Lost me.”

She cocks the handle. “It’s a also a gun.”

“Gotcha. Dad, why does a 13-year-old girl have a giant sniper scythe and why are you okay with this?”

Their dad puts his mug down. “Yang, your sister worked really hard on her weapon. Yes, it may be a bit…” He looks at Ruby, who seems to be making out with her scythe. “…over zealous, but her weapon is an extension of herself, an expression of her creativity. And besides, you made those gauntlets of yours when you were her age.”

“Uh-huh. Right. Mom, you’re thoughts?”

Song shrugs. “That thing’s friggin’ awesome.”

Yang sighs and stands up. “Yeah, okay. Sis, we need to have a little chat.”

Ruby pauses her Scythe snuggling and looks at her sister. “Yang, what’s-“

“In private.”

Now Ruby is a bit sheepish. The tone of Yang’s voice made her hairs on the back of her neck stick up on end. It was the tone of voice Yang used when they were kids and she wasn’t too happy with the redhead. Ruby gulps nervously and collapses her scythe before placing it on the kitchen counter. Slowly, she follows Yang, who had walked to the door, holding it open for Ruby to walk through. Once she does, she closes the door behind the two, leaving their parents behind.

Their father sighs. “Well, you called it, Yang isn’t happy. Think she’s going to chew Ruby out?”

Song takes a bite of her dinner. “Hell if I know. I told Ruby not to tell her yet. But, in any case, the brats are gone so more food me.” Song proceeds to reach over and takes Yang’s plate, scrapping it’s contents on top of her own.

“…You know Yang’s gonna be pissed, right.”

“Bite me.”

“Are you giving me permission?”

“Haha, smooth. But not right now. Food first. Fun time later.” And, with that, she begins to stuff her face.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. Camron Davis

Chapter 1 Scene 4

Sister One-To-One

Ruby had always dreamed of being a Huntress, despite the surprise of her parents and sister. In actuality, she had wanted to become one ever since she was little girl.

[​IMG]

…Little Ruby was a little weird. I don’t even know what that second part had to do with… anything, really.

Ah-hum. Anyway, where was I? Oh, right, as I was saying…

Little Ruby knew she had to become a Huntress, especially since her mother was one as well, and a rather powerful one at that. And with Yang training to be one, Ruby felt it only right to follow in her big sister’s footsteps. She thought it would be an “ultra super lighting rose tag team” opportunity.

There was, however, one little problem. There’s a reason she hadn’t told Yang about her plan, after all.

They’d been walking for 15 minutes now. The small town was silent as its residence prepared to settle in for the night and rest for the next day. The warm breeze of the night passed through her blood red hair and whistled by her ears; another testament to how uncomfortably quiet things were at the moment. She’d been reduced to twiddling her fingers to keep her mind off the awkward walk she and Yang were having.

She looks up at the back of the blonde’s head. Her lips slightly part in an attempt to break the ice. However, no words come out as she hesitates and returns her attention to her fingers.

Their footsteps began to echo at this point. She could hear her own breathing now in place of the wandering crickets that would usually be out about this time. Her eyes began to roam around for anything she could use to distract herself. Nothing of interest. Stores had been closed up, the street they strolled through were void of any life at this point. This had been the first time she’d been out this late. Never had she’d seen the streets this empty and… lonely.

“Sis…”

She freezes on the spot, her train of thought being broken by Yang’s voice. She stood, her back still to the redhead. For a minute, the two simply stand there, no words being said. Ruby found her hand start to tug on the bottom of her shirt. She waited with baited breath at what was to happen next.

That’s when Yang sighs and completely turns to Ruby, causing the younger girl to flinch a little. Her purple eyes stare in Ruby’s silver ones, no readable emotion on her face. Then… she starts to grin. Her usually golden bright smile starts to cross her lips and she chuckles softly while putting her hands on her hips. Ruby looks on, more confused than worried now.

Still worried, mind you, just not as much.

“A sniper scythe?” Yang suddenly asks while still laughing to herself. Ruby cocks her head to the side at that. “Think you went a bit overboard there, sis?”

Ruby suddenly found herself offended by Yang’s words for some reason. “L-Look who’s talking! ‘Oh, shotgun fisty-cuffs, that’s totally not flashy, or anything!’ Seriously, Yang?”

“Well, at least mine’s somewhat reasonable. Who the heck thinks up a huge freakin’ scythe that can just so happen to snipe the sliced up pieces of their enemy? Geez, you’re a lot more hardcore than I thought, kid.”

“Says the girl with Shot. Gun. Gauntlets.”

“Hey, whatever, chick. My weapon is awesome. These babies will get the job done anytime.” She laughs as Ruby makes a bloated, annoyed face. Yang slowly stops chuckling and stares at the ground. “Why do you wanna become a Huntress, Ruby?”

Ruby is taken off guard by Yang’s sudden question and change of tone. The fact that she used her actual name sent a chill down her spine. This was one of those rare serious talks they would have every blue moon.

Her silver eyes dampen as her right hand suddenly starts to clench and unclench on it’s own. Swallowing saliva, she speaks. “I… I just…” For some reason, her words just won’t come out. She tries to answer again, but something just won’t let her explain. “I mean… well…”

Yang’s eyes shut and her hands drop to her side. She slowly starts to advance on her sibling, the young girl not even able to bring herself to look into Yang’s eyes. Once the distance is closed, Ruby is entangled in her older sister’s arms, her body going stiff.

“I’m not mad you know…” Yang starts. “But… I’m not gonna say I’m okay with this, either. I’m far from it, actually.”

Ruby grits her teeth. “Well, why not? You want to be Huntress and no one’s saying anything about that. And wasn’t Song not okay with you being a huntress, too?”

Yang shakes her head. “L-Let’s not bring that up. The important thing is: I’ve been training for this since the day I could walk,” she says. “I’m built to be a Huntress; rough and tough as nails.” Yang turns to her sister. “You…?”

Ruby’s brow rises, as her sister doesn’t say anything else. “…What?”

“You…? You’re…” Yang says as she sweeps her hands over Ruby’s body.

“You just motioned to all of me.”

The blonde sighs as she slings her arm around Ruby’s shoulders. “Look, kiddo, I’m just saying. You’re not the kind of person who should be a Huntress. You’re sweet, gentle as a dandelion, you cry every time we watch that one movie with the fish-“

“Hey!” Ruby interjects. “That movie was touching, dang it... You cried once too…”

“You’re missing the point. You don’t need to be apart of this, sis. There are things out there that you should never have to see, or experience. I’m fighting so I can make sure you never do. People have died fighting this war, you know.” She chuckles. “You always were a stubborn girl when it came to things you really wanted to do, and I know you really want this, but… I mean…” Yang takes Ruby by the arms and looks down into her eyes. “Please don’t do this, Ruby. If not for you, then… for me. This gig is not for you. Take my word on this one, kid…”

Ruby pouts as she leans her head on her older sister’s chest. “Well… aren’t you scared to be one, then?”

Yang runs her hand through her thick mane. “Nah, not really. I kind of have to let go of that fear if I really want to do this. Comes with the job, you know?”

“Well, I am.” Yang looks down to her redheaded sibling. “You said yourself that a lot of people die fighting this war. What if you were one of them?”

“That’s not gonna happen.” Ruby looks up at her sister in surprise at the sternness of Yang’s retort. “Don’t think like that, Ruby. I’m not gonna die. I don’t want to think about leaving you, mom, or dad alone. If anything, that’s going to make me fight even harder. No matter what happens, I promise I won’t leave you alone. I’m gonna protect you no matter what.” Yang begins to smile brightly. “That’s why I want to be a huntress after all.”

Ruby’s eyes avert to the floor as her hair hangs over her eyes. Her hands come up to her chest and contracts. Yang gently rubs her hair and lies her chin atop her head, eyes closed.

“Don’t be like me, Ruby. Don’t become a Huntress.”

Ruby wanted to retort. Her mouth was open and ready to refute the idea. She was ready to blow on her sister, tell her that she did have what it took. She was ready to out right tell Yang how wrong she was, that she wasn’t afraid of anything the world outside had to throw at her.

But… she couldn’t. As she looked back into Yang’s pleading, yet calm, strangely mature eyes, she felt herself unable to go through with it. She found her head starting to hang and her hand stopping with its contractions.

Softly, she asks, “…Is it really that bad out there, Yang…?”

She gives no answer, only silence.

Ruby found her body going limp and her head hanging lower. “…Maybe I’m not cut out to be a Huntress… because… I’m actually scared of what’s really in store…” She slowly looks up at Yang. She could feel tears start to well up in her eyes. “Does that make me a coward, Yang…?”

Yang gives a small, sad grin to Ruby and pulls her sister into another hug. “Nah, Ruby. Just makes you human…” Ruby hangs her head and Yang smiles at her, placing her hand on the young girl’s shoulder. “Come on. Let’s get back home, ‘kay?”

The sisters turn and begin to make their way home. The entire walk, Ruby has her eyes on the ground as her talk with Yang replays in her mind. She looks to her open palm and clenches it lightly.

What if she really wasn’t cut out to be a Huntress after all? She always thought these tiny hands of hers could change things. Maybe she could protect the people that needed a protector, be the hero they all needed.

“How stupid is that…?” she mumbles to herself.

When she looks up, she stops her stride behind Yang, seeing the blonde coming to a halt. She tilts her head curiously and opens her mouth to speak, but stops herself when she sees what Yang was staring at. Their mother was running at them at an alarmingly fast pace. The closer she got, the more she started to notice her mom’s physical state.

Her face was twisted with distress. Her blonde, slightly gray hair was unkempt and hung over her face messily. The dress she wore was torn in multiple areas, and Ruby could swear she saw deep red spots all over it. She was even barefooted, as if she were in such a rush that she couldn’t even bother to put on shoes.

Yang was the one to voice Ruby’s thoughts. “Something’s wrong…” Yang starts to speed walk to meet their mother in the middle and Ruby follows behind. “Hey, mom! You okay? What’s the-”

“Yang! Ruby!” Song calls out.

“Mom! What’s up?”

As they walked, Ruby noticed something strange. It was like a shadow just passed over. For a moment, she assumed it to be a cloud, or something. But then a second one passed and she looked into the sky to see what it was. At the same time, Song had caught a glimpse at the sky and speed up even faster than before.

Ruby had frozen at the sight. Like rain, a group of large, sharp objects were coming directly at them. Ruby could do nothing but stare, the sight not registering in her mind fully, whether out of fear or just shock.

In the background, she can hear her mother scream her name.

Ruby!”

That was the last thing she heard before the projectiles rained down and everything went black.