1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Search Function on Mobile

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by vladspellbinder, May 13, 2021.

1. vladspellbinder

vladspellbinder Odd and obscure vampiric panther

So when I check the forums on desktop I've got that handy little Search box to help me find new threads of interest but I can not for the life of me find said Search box while I am checking the forums on my phone.

Is this feature not integrated with the mobile version of the site or am I just blind? If it isn't integrated how hard would it be to do so and if it already is where is it and can it be made easier to find?

2. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

On my mobile, the search bar is hidden behind a search icon, which on my device looks like a magnifying glass. It's in the top-right corner of the page, a little below the alerts/usermenu dropdown, iirc much like on desktop. Does that address your question? Or are you looking for a search icon and not finding it?

E: note that if you want to search for a user, and typing in the regular search "posts by user" box doesn't cut it, you have to go to the "members" page and click the thing at the bottom to open the "sidebar" to find the user-search box.

wasprider likes this.
  3. vladspellbinder

So, I normally view the page in "portrait" mode, that is holding my phone vertically. While looking where you said the search icon was located I decided, on a whim, to turn my phone horizontally and what do you know, full on search box like I see on desktop.

Also I tend to search more for tags than by poster which the base search does well enough. But it require people to actually tag their stuff and to use somewhat sensible tags as well.

4. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

So, in that spot in portrait mode, your browser should be rendering an icon. If you tap that icon, it should pop out the same search interface it does when you tap into the search box.

But, some themes make the search icon and the background it's on basically the same color. The theme I'm thinking of is a "white" one, there are probably others. Try tapping in that spot, right near the edge of the screen, while in portrait mode.

If that doesn't work, temporarily switch your theme to "Dark Responsive (Green)" and check if shows up then. I know it shows up there because that's the theme I use, so whether it shows up for you will tell us what kind of bug we're looking at.

wasprider likes this.
  5. vladspellbinder

Changed to the suggested color theme and found the icon, then changed by to my normal theme, which is the "default" Light (Responsive) and tapped in the spot where the icon is located but can't be seen. It all works just fine.
    So it is just the fact that the search icon is "invisible" while in the theme I use while in portrait mode.

Now I just have to remember this when I want to do a search while on mobile... . Or remember to turn my phone sideways for a moment.

Thanks for the help.

january1may and MissileTeatime like this.