• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Space Station 13

Zege

It's Magic, I ain't gotta explain shit.
I've been playing Space Station 13 off-and-on for a couple years now, and I just had probably the most hilarious round I've ever played happen.

First of all, I'll explain it to you, if you're unfamiliar.

All players take roles on a Space Station, such as Cargo Tech, Captain, Assistant, Security Officer, Medic, etc. Lots of positions to play, some more sensible than others - the Mime comes to mind, for one.

Each round has the Crew, and the Antagonist(s). One or more Traitors, Revolutionaries, Cultists, Aliens, or Wizards, plus several other sorts of mischief-makers.

I did not begin as one of these Antagonists, but my team and I did far more than any hostile invader could.

This round, I started in as the Quartermaster, who orders supplies for the station at the behest of the crew. Things roll along nice and smoothly for about fifteen, twenty minutes, at which point I witness a crewmember wandering a maintenance hall covered in blood and wearing non-standard armor.

Naturally, I report this to the acting Captain, the Head of Personnel, who announces to the station that the mysterious crewmember is a Traitor, and must be captured. He turns out to not be a very good saboteur, and is quickly found and subdued, and locked in the brig.

The threat handled, the crew carries on and new arrivals come in, namely a Cargo Tech by the name of Frances. She jumps right in and we get cargo decked out in turrets and the miners equipped with shotguns to battle the roaming Xenos, with the blessing of the Captain.

Eventually, the Detective on board gets uppity, and tries to brig my Tech.

I take offense to that.

After fighting the Detective off, Frances, myself, and two Miners group up in Cargo and arm ourselves to the teeth in preparation for war.

Cargonia Rises.

As a group, we make our way to the Medbay where the Detective is recovering, and burst in. The Detective and attending Medic shit their pants, as we promptly unload our armaments into the panicking Detective, inadvertently blowing off the Medic's kneecaps.

Whoops! Mission Accomplished, however.

We regroup back at the Cargo Bay, and decide that we've had enough peace, and declare war on the whole of the station. Using my priority access, we order Supermatter, which is incredibly reactive matter used in powering a specialized engine.

As one team recovers the Captain's spare ID, I prepare for war by donning ablative armor, and packing laser rifles into my backpack for the team.

The supplies arrive, and so does the ID. We crack the containment on the Supermatter, and decide on our victim.

Security Wing.

We split off once more, one team dragging the crate to Security, while another seizes the Bridge and calls the emergency shuttle to escape. I go with the Supermatter team, and we carry along a set of remote emitters to power the crystal to detonation.

Unfortunately, we underestimated the volatility of the Supermatter, and an errant brush against the stone evaporates one of the Miners, and releases toxic radiation. The mission is going south, fast.

The remaining team arrives, having called the shuttle, and we proceed on, setting up the Supermatter and Emitter, but all slowly succumbing to radiation poisoning. One Miner suffocates in his own vomit, and Frances the Cargo Tech goes up in flames from plasma leakage and laser energy.

I'm the last one standing as radiation saturates the station, and the crystal slowly begins overloading.

As I lay dying, the remaining crew evacuating, I level my laser pistol at the Supermatter and unload the entire battery.

The Supermatter goes nova, obliterating the station as the escape shuttle jettisons away. We may have failed to take the rest of the crew with us, but still Cargonia took the station with them.

Well, that came out a lot longer than intended, but still.

SS13 is a hell of a game, and rife with stupendous situations like what I've just described. It runs on shitty code on an even shittier platform, but my god is the potential enormous. If anyone else here plays, speak up. If you're curious, check out the link at the top, or ask some questions here.

Feel free to share stories of your own, if you have them.

I am curious and might try this game.

I used to play, but I never got a handle on the controls, rules, objectives, or anything like that, so I stopped. If that sort of thing happens regularly, I might have to start playing again. Any server recs?

Wow, another SS13 player. Never really got used to the traitor mechanics of the usual servers thus I got stuck on the Colonial Marines server. I liked that you know your allies and enemies thus never had to watch your back for intentional hostility while also having jobs that matter since the enemy is more powerful than you and you will need as much cooperation as you could get.

This sounds kind of interesting, on the phone right now but are there any video (youtube) guides you recommend?

This sounds kind of interesting, on the phone right now but are there any video (youtube) guides you recommend?

You could find any specific guide on Youtube to start you off with the basic and how the flow of the game works preferably from rather popular servers like hippie, baystation, tg, or colonial marines. Unfortunately, many of the nuances of the game can only be learned by either asking other players or discovering it yourself so when you got a handle of the basics like movement, hand usage, targeting, stances, item manipulation, eating and status; you could then join in a server and practice as the lowest tier of job possible like an assistant or in my case in colonial marines, a squad marine.

Also some SS13 servers has a much more comprehensive starter guides on their wiki pages that would help with your understanding of the game if you think that watching people teach it to you is difficult because sometimes it is that.

Some tips if you are starting. If you don't know what you are doing, F1 which is an admin help to ask a question. It should be a legitimate question about the game as admins are people too. I think the tg server has a special thing where it might leave you traumatized if you are way too serious of the game. Second is be careful of the Aurora server as last time I heard, they are elitist pricks that shuns new players and tends to stay on their cliques. Third is that don't be afraid of failure or dying because it will happen to you eventually whether be it by traitor or antagonist. And finally know the rules of the server you are in because its very important to know which boundaries you may not cross as SS13 is all about roleplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back