• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Stolen Hearts [RWBY OC]

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

It was a beautiful summer day, birds were singing, flowers were blooming, and on days like this...
Chapter 1

Sadguychet

Just a Sad Guy
It was a beautiful summer day, birds were singing, flowers were blooming, and on days like this, people like me…

Shouldn't have to be stuck in a cramped bakery waiting for a customer to finally wander in at two in the afternoon!

The sun was shining brightly outside the Lynx Family Bakery and I had a feeling that if I was out there, I would be able to feel the cool feeling of the wind brushing through my ears.

"But you're not out there Rei. You're stuck in here, cleaning dough and making cookies for the only customer that will probably show up today." I sighed as I brought my rag across the counter once more, continuing the arduous process of ridding it of the dough that had stuck there during the preparation of my latest batch of cookies.

Truth be told, I didn't mind the work, I even often found it enjoyable. But on slow days like this, time seemed to drag on forever and make my job magnitudes more monotonous.

My grandfather had always said that the best way to attract customers was to make it look like you're always busy with something. "Let's know that you're working hard and actually putting effort into what you make" he always said, and over the years of working with him I had slowly come to agree with the sentiment.

When he passed just two years ago, it had been an extremely devastating affair for me. The older lynx faunus had practically raised me after my parents abandoned me at a young age, and where I had come to see him as a father, he in turn saw me as a daughter. When he had died, he had left me as the sole inheritor of his will, gifting me everything he had owned at the time of his death, bakery included.

I had been working with him in said bakery since I was young so I more or less knew how the whole thing worked. I got up at the buttcrack of dawn to prepare the dough and begin making the first pastries for those who were going into work in the morning, and my work didn't stop until the shop closed at six.

There was something satisfying about putting in a hard day's work and being rewarded with the satisfaction of those you had served. It was…cathartic, and now there was rarely a time that I wasn't doing at least something. Whether at work or in the space I called home merely a few feet above me.

Still, on days like this there was little I wouldn't give to be curled up on my bed in the loft, reading a book on my scroll, or leaned over a table going over the plans for my next heis-

I was interrupted from my thoughts by a small jingle from the bell that hung from the store entrance.

"Reeeeiiiiii!!!" A familiar voice called out and I felt a smile flit across my face.

"Give me just one moment! I'm just about to pull your order out of the oven!" I yelled out to the owner of the voice, smiling wider at the high pitched 'Oookaaay' I received in return.

I reached into the oven and retrieved the tray of cookies that had been kept warm in there, placing them into a white box, making sure to sort them by flavour as had been requested, before sliding it closed and making my way out to my waiting customer.

I was met with the all too familiar sight of a pale girl in a red cloak, sitting at the stool nearest the counter, feet swinging merrily as she waited for her favorite treats. On the counter in front of her was a red blocky piece of metal that would look unassuming to those who didn't know the owner. I had seen the girl whip that thing out enough times to know better by now.

Ruby Rose had been a regular customer at the bakery for several years at this point, having wandered in one day while my grandfather and I had been closing up. She had such a pitiful expression on her face as she saw us throwing away the stale cookies and my old man had taken pity on her, giving her the rest.

The way her face lit up at that… Later after she left, my grandfather had taken me aside and said, "See that girl Rei, see that look on her face? That one act of kindness just earned us a lifelong customer." And he had been right, for just three days later Ruby came wandering in again, this time well before close and with a fistful of lien.

She had ordered one of every cookie we had on the menu, along with a glass of milk. Then she stayed in the bakery for the next hour or so, just scarfing down cookie after cookie until her father came to collect her, saying that she would be back next week.

Lo and behold, next week rolled around and she came back. And then she did so the next week, and the next, and the next, and the next, and she hadn't stopped doing it since.

This had led to the two of us becoming good friends, such good friends in fact, that when she heard about my grandfather's death, she had dropped everything and forced her father to bring her to Vale solely to comfort me in my time of need. Something I was extremely grateful for.

Yes, my life was brightened considerably thanks to the other girl's presence. Still, I better give her her cookies before she bursts from excitement, something I imagined would happen soon given that she was practically vibrating in her seat at the smell coming from the box in my hands.

"Ruby, I've got your order!" No less than a second after I spoke, she appeared in front of me at the counter in a burst of rose petals, making grabby hands at the bag in my clutches.

"Gimme!" She said as she nearly dove over the counter in a an attempt to get at the bag

"Hold on missy!" I laughed as I reached my arm out to hold her back, "You still haven't told me what you're doing in Vale in the first place. You usually don't come over her until you run out of treats or things for your weapon, and I know that you just refilled your supply of both." I narrowed my eyes at her playfully.

She had gone from attempting to take the bag from me to just staring at it in undisguised hunger, "Give me my cookies and I'll tell you." She bargained and I laughed, handing them over eliciting a small cheer from the hyperactive girl.

"Alright, so I originally came to Vale to get a copy of issue 228 of Weapon Magazine," I chuckled at the pun and she stuck her tongue out at me, "Don't laugh, it's a bad pun. Anyway, I was looking through the magazine for upgrades for my baby, when I was interrupted by a guy trying to rob me!"

I snorted, "And I assume it didn't go too well for him?"

"Nope!" She grinned, "I beat him up! And then I saw there were others trying to rob the rest of the store so I beat them up too! I was all like, POW! BAM! SWOOSH!" I watched in amusement as she pantomimed beating people up, sound effects and all.

"And then I fought this guy who I'm pretty sure was an ex hunter or something. He had a white suit and a bowler hat and used this cane that was also a gun and also a grappling hook and he shot at me with fire dust and-"

"Wait wait wait," I stopped her in her tracks, "Fancy suit? Bowler hat? Mascara? Cane-gun? That's Roman Torchwick! You're telling me you fought Roman Torchwick and were barely injured!?" I asked in astonishment.

Ruby shrugged, "I guess? I didn't get his name but he was really good. He had all these weird moves and I could barely keep up with him. And he got away even with my super speed!" She pouted, crossing her arms over her chest.

I just nodded, "Yeah, that's what he does. He's an expert at dueling single opponents, and from what I've heard, barely anyone at all has been able to keep up with him one on one when he's really trying. He specializes in dirty fighting and escape and he utilizes both extremely well, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he had a cognition enhancement Semblance." I postulated.

Ruby hummed, "Maybe, I didn't see him use a Semblance but you're right, it might be internal or something." She shook her head, "Anyway, back to my story! After he got onto the Bullhead, there was this scary looking woman who shot fire at me! I would have been toast if it wasn't for that huntress with the riding crop making that barrier to block the shots. And then she arrested me." She pouted again.

I chuckled, "Sounds like Ms Goodwitch. She's a veteran huntress who teaches at beacon. She's the Vice Headmistress there last I heard. Real strict lady. She probably took exception to you stopping a robbery without a license."

"Yeah, she seemed pretty strict." Ruby nodded, before she gasped, "Oh! And get this!" She practically jumped up and down in excitement, "I got to talk to Ozpin, and he was kinda weird but he fed me cookies that weren't as good as yours and said I could come to Beacon two years early!"

I gasped at that. It was a rare thing that someone got accepted into a combat school like Beacon early, much less two whole years early! Ruby must have really impressed Ozpin for him to make her an offer like that.

"That's fantastic news Ruby!" I congratulated the other girl, "There's nobody I know who deserves it more than you." I said sincerely.

"Bah, you're just saying that." She waved off and I shook my head.

"No, I mean that Ruby, you really do deserve this after all the hard work you've put into your training." I said, watching with amusement as she stammered lightly at my proclamation.

"Well then, as a bit of a congratulatory treat…" I leaned down underneath the counter to grab a paper bag I had stashed there earlier, "I would like you to have these." I finished as I placed it on the counter.

Ruby stared at the bag in wonder as her nose picked up the scent emerging from it, and she hesitantly pulled the two sides apart to reveal the contents to her amazed eyes.

I leaned my cheek on my palm as I watched the other girl slowly, almost reverently, pull a dark brown cookie from its depths. She brought the cookie to her nose and inhaled again, shivering this time at the enhanced smell.

"It's forty percent dark chocolate peanut butter with a caramel drizzle. I know you don't like things too bitter so I tried to not go overboard on the cacao beans."

Ruby slowly put one up to her mouth and took a small bite, and the moment the treat touched her taste buds, the rest of the cookie disappeared into her mouth with astounding speed.

She hummed happily as she savored the flavour, and I watched with an amused smile on my face as she practically bounced up and down in the empty bakery.

"How do you keep making cookies this delicious!?" She asked as she reached into the bag to grab another one, "Any cookies I make are nowhere near this good. And I make good cookies." she complained as she stuffed it into her mouth and held another one out for me to take, which I did so happily

I shrugged as I took a bite of my own cookie, "It's a secret. I might tell you when you're older." I winked at her.

She flushed lightly at my actions, "But you're only two years older than me…" she pouted as she reached her hand in the bag yet again.

I just chuckled, "Two years makes a world of difference Ruby, especially when you've had a life like mine."

She just stuck her tongue out childishly, before turning her attention back to her 'meal'.

As we sat there, munching on the treats I made, I noticed Ruby was distracted, not enjoying the treats with nearly as much enthusiasm as she should be, "Is everything alright Ruby?" I asked, and she jumped as if startled.

"Oh, who me? Yeah I'm okay. Nothing wrong here! Nope, nothing at all!" She exclaimed and I just raised an eyebrow at her.

She deflated immediately, "Ok, there's something wrong. I just don't want to worry you or anything."

I scoffed, "Ruby, you've been there for me more times than I can count with a calculator. Let me return the favor, yeah? Spill, what's wrong?"

"Ok, it-I jus…" She stammered and I waited patiently for her to speak, "Rei, do you think it was a good idea to accept Ozpin's offer? Should I just wait until I finish at Signal and go to Beacon with the rest of my class?" She asked.

Ah, so that's what this was about. I hummed, taking another bite of my cookie, "Well Ruby, for most people I would have said yes. Training is important after all, and most people would benefit from a well rounded education no matter their skill level. Not to mention help from their peers."

Her gaze turned down toward the counter and I hurriedly finished my statement before she got the wrong idea, "But Ruby," I reached across the counter and grabbed one of her hands, forcing her to look at me, "Tell me, when you saw what those thugs were doing in that dust store, did you hesitate? Did the thought of running ever cross your mind?"

She shook her head as she stared at me with wide eyes, and I smiled encouragingly, "That. That right there tells me you're ready. Most people your age would have seen what was happening and panicked, or ran away in an attempt to call for help. Not you, you saw something happening, realized it was wrong, and put a stop to it. That's why Ozpin gave you that offer, not just because of how skilled you are."

"You have the kindest heart of anyone I know, you'll be a great huntress Ruby." I finished warmly, staring into her mirror-like eyes, "I know you will."

Her face was as red as her cloak and she tried to hide behind her bags of cookies, "T-thank you Rei…" There was a small moment that we just stood there, and I could just barely see her features shift, obscured as they were.

I was stunned as the containers were suddenly on the counter to her right, and the girl herself had her arms wrapped around my body in a hug. I stood frozen in shock for a moment, my own arms stuck in the air in surprise. Just as I went to reciprocate the hug, Ruby darted backwards, picking up her cookies and turning toward the door.

"OkthankyouReibutI'vegottogoYangswaitingonmebye!'

And then she was gone, rose petals drifting to the floor of the now empty bakery in her departure, leaving me even more stunned in the process.

'That girl…' I thought as I shook my head fondly at her antics. I looked down at the rose petals covering the floor and sighed. They'd disappear in around ten minutes as their residual aura ran out, but I might as well go ahead and clean them up. It would give me something to do while I waited for the next customer to roll in, whenever that may be.

As I went to the back to get a broom and dust pan, muy mind wandered to the silver eyed brunette who had just exited my store. It wouldn't be too far a stretch to say I was terribly fond of Ruby and her general mannerisms. I had known the other girl for years and she had been there for me in my darkest hours, always giving words of reassurance to me in times of hardship. She was the kindest person I had ever met.

Which was exactly why I worried for her.

I knew just how dangerous the life of a huntress could be. I didn't want to see Ruby's innocence fade in the face of the unending tide of grimm before the other girl even reached her majority. And I especially didn't want to be faced with a visit from her father saying she had been slain on a mission saving one of the many friends she would inevitably make at Beacon. I don't think I could take it if I lost my best friend so suddenly.

No, there was no reason to think like that. Ruby was one of the most skilled people on Remnant with that scythe of hers, and few grimm would be able to stand up to its dust infused edge. I would just have to trust that her training would see her through as it had for those who came before her.

It was all I could do after all.

I made short work of the rose petals, and made my way to the back to finish cleaning up the mess I made while making Ruby's cookies.

Around forty-five minutes later I was done, and I stretched my arms up to the ceiling as I took in my clean workspace with satisfaction. I looked at the clock on the wall, noting it was nearly five in the afternoon, "Welp!" I said out loud, "It's not looking like anybody else is coming in today, might as well close up early I guess."

The ears on the top of my head perked up at the signature sound of the bell on the store door ringing, indicating I had another customer.

'Well I stand corrected.' I thought wryly as I made my way out of the kitchen.

"Welcome to the Lynx Family Bakery, what can I get yo-" I stopped as I took in the appearance of the man who had entered. Black suit with a crimson tie, bowler hat and red sunglasses, and an equally red sword in his hand. This man was one of Junior's thugs, a member of the Xiong Family.

"What are you doing here? I already paid up this month." I asked as I scowled at the gang member. To operate a business in Vale, one needed to pay a 'protection fee' to the Xiong Family as they were the biggest criminal syndicate in the kingdom. Rates differed depending on where one was. Given that I was operating in the city proper, my rates were extremely high

Still I had already paid this month. So what was this asshole doing here?

"Yeah well, me and a few of my boys decided that you faunus aren't paying enough to do your business in our upstanding neighborhoods. We're upping your price." He scoffed, resting his sword on his shoulder in an attempt to look intimidating, "I'm here to collect."

I held my hands up in mock fear even as anger filled my mind, "Ok ok, I'll pay. No need to get violent. I've got the money right here, just let me grab it." I said as I began reaching below the counter.

He nodded as he stepped up to the counter, grinning smugly, "Good to hear. Maybe I should mess up this shop a bit to teach you a lesso-" He stopped talking as the barrel of a revolver was placed between his eyes.

I grinned, exposing sharpened canines while I took in his terrified expression as he came face to face with Trick. The revolver felt just as at home in my hands as it always had since I made it years ago.

Trick was the first and only weapon I had ever made. It wasn't mechashift, I never saw a reason for it given I didn't want to be a huntress, but it didn't need to be as it was for situations in which I didn't have another weapon available. Situations like now.

Trick was a high powered revolver that carried a payload of high velocity burn dust rounds, backed by a firing mechanism infused with gravity dust to further increase velocity and reduce drop off at longer ranges. The metal shell was made of a dust infused steel alloy specifically designed to handle the backlash from high powered rifles, which should tell one just how powerful it was. Hell, just shooting it without an active aura was just asking for a shattered wrist and fractured forearm.

In short, whatever Trick was pointed at when I pulled the trigger practically ceased to exist, aura or otherwise. And from the look on the thug's face, even he recognized that much.

"You have until the count of three to get out of my store before I have to call Junior to scrape your corpse off the pavement." My threat was emphasized by a menacing 'click' as I manually cocked the hammer on my revolver.

He stared at me for a moment longer, eyes indiscernible through his glasses, before holding his hand up and walking back toward the door, "You're making a mistake. You won't get away with this."

"The more you talk, the itchier my trigger finger gets." I commented, "I'd shut your mouth before I decide to scratch that itch."

He scowled, before turning on his heel and running the rest of the way out of my store, bell above the door jingling violently at his rapid departure.

I kept Trick trained on him through the glass storefront as he fled, making sure to keep his head in my cross hairs just in case he turned around and tried anything.

Luckily he didn't, and I sighed as he escaped my view, disappearing around the corner and out of sight, startling a young couple who happened to be walking in the opposite direction. They looked toward me in confusion, and I just shook my head.

I placed my revolver on the counter and ran a hand through my short hair, "Fuck!" I cursed quietly as I thought about the situation I had just been put in. This was a problem. If what he said was true, there were more like him in Junior's ranks, racists who thought faunus should have to pay more than everyone else for 'protection'. And I didn't have nearly enough lien to cover something like that.

Hell, I barely had enough to keep the lights on in the bakery, and I knew for certain I wasn't a good enough fighter to fend off any significant amount of thugs they sent to convince me without damaging my store…

"Get your shit together Junior, you just gonna let them do whatever the hell they want!?" I cursed the gang boss in my mind, "Of course you are, you don't care what happens so long as you get your cut and it doesn't make the news. Bastard…"

I took a deep breath, composing myself and gathering my resolve.

It looked like I would have to push my plans forward. That dust would be in my hands by the end of the week.

~~~
And a huge thanks to my Patrons:
JustAUser, JVR, Ricardo T II, Christian

Next two chapters available on:
Sadguychet | Patreon

Last edited:
Chapter 2
I stared down at my scroll intently as I studied a map of a small forested area outside of Vale and I wondered, was I really about to do this?

I snorted, shaking my head wryly, "Why not? It's not like I've got anything else going for me right now. Things have been dry lately and this one is just too juicy to pass up." I muttered.

I nearly dropped my scroll as it buzzed in my hands, a message appearing at the top of my screen. It was a voice message from Ruby, and I clicked play curiously, wondering what she wanted to tell me so late at night.

Hey Rei, if you're awake! I just wanted to say thanks for the cookies, they were really good! Hopefully I'll get to visit a lot more now that I'm going to Beacon! We can spend a lot more time together now that I'm not so far away. I-if you don't mind of course, I don't want to bother you while you work or anything. Even if I would probably get more cookies and hugs. W-wait, don't record that part! Stop! Yang! Stop laughing at me you butt! Come on you stupid scroll stop recordin-!" The message ended with the sound of hurried footsteps as the girl rushed to her scroll to stop recording.

I smiled fondly at the string of words from the hyperactive girl, shooting off a goodnight text of my own and teasing her lightly about what her message contained.

As an embarrassed flurry of texts reached my phone, I chuckled, before briefly wondering what Ruby would think if she knew about her best friend's true calling.

I frowned, mood turning slightly sour as I thought of the circumstances that had brought me to my secondary profession.

When my grandfather died two years ago, I struggled to keep the bakery up and running without his help. It just seemed to be one thing after another, bills stacked up, ovens stopped working, not to mention Junior's protection fee.

Eventually it all grew to be too much and what little inheritance my grandfather was able to leave me dried up. I was one bill away from losing everything for the second time in my life.

And so, to make ends meet, I had turned to stealing, thievery. And it turned out I was really good at it, my more prevent than normal faunus traits; namely my claws, ears, and night vision, making me a natural thief. It was laughably easy to build up money by taking it from those who didn't deserve it.

Oh sure, so far my heists had been limited to small things, paintings, precious jewelry, that sort of stuff. But I was extremely proficient in getting in and out with my quarry without much fuss, something that made my prospective clients very happy with me.

It was always harder to sell the things I had stolen when people knew they had been stolen, hot items don't sell, cold items do. Simple math.

"Still…I've never tried to steal something this important before." I muttered as I finished texting Ruby and read the info I had received from the buyer.

Apparently the Valean government was becoming increasingly unhappy with the stranglehold Atlas had on the dust market, and had commissioned some of their top scientists and researchers to come up with something that would give them an edge.

Apparently, said scientists had blown their expectations out of the water by creating an entirely new dust subtype, one that had yet to be discovered by even the Atlesian researchers who were on the grind nearly twenty-four seven .

This dust subtype, which they had dubbed 'Tundra dust' was a mix of ice dust, wind dust, and a special ingredient that was even more classified than the document itself. The two dust types, along with the secret third ingredient that wasn't included in the document the buyer sent, when mixed in juuust the right way, produced a reaction magnitudes more powerful than regular ice dust.

It was apparently so powerful in fact, that a single vial of the stuff was able to freeze over two hundred tons of water completely solid in seconds. If they were able to harness its power properly, it would make fighting sea faring grimm like the Sea Feilong much more manageable.

Needless to say, the council had been over the moon, and immediately increased the budget of the scientists responsible for the discovery, something my contractor had caught wind of.

They did some research into the project and took a vested interest in this dust, deciding that it would be better in more capable hands, namely theirs. And so had contacted someone to have it stolen for them.

Unfortunately the person they contacted was busy, having recently picked up a rather big contract themselves, and had instead recommended me after having heard about my recent escapades around the city.

How they found me, I was honestly too afraid to ask, but when they did they came with an offer. Two hundred thousand lien to steal the container containing a single vial of dust from a research facility in the middle of nowhere. I would have to be insane to refuse something like that so of course I accepted.

The details of the heist were left up to me, they just wanted the dust. So all I needed to do was get in, steal the dust, get out, and meet this anonymous buyer at the designated spot for payment, easy peasy. Hopefully.

Given that the entire project was supposed to be top secret, there should be very little in the way of security. I should be able to slip in, grab the container, and slip out without anybody the wiser.

Once again, hopefully.

I did one last check on my equipment. Combat knife; sharp, Sleep pellets; ready, Ball bearing pouch; full, Satchel full of assorted goodies; check, Trick; sitting on the table in front of me. All was well.

I brought my left forearm up to my eyes, inspecting the small elastic bands held on the dark grey armguard. It was a makeshift slingshot, mostly meant to deliver my sleep pellets and ball bearings further away while maintaining my accuracy.

It looked fine, so I brought my attention to my other arm, inspecting the hook and line. A grappling hook was an essential for every thief, verticality was king after all. Mine was a special design, loaded with high tension springs to increase launch distance, with reinforced steel line instead of rope to decrease weight. A simple press of a hidden button would send it soaring several meters in whatever direction I was pointing it in, even straight up.

It also looked fine, good.

All of the simple stuff accounted for, I went on to checking over my more delicate equipment, starting with my goggles.

The goggles were the most delicate and important part of my arsenal. I had created them over the course of several painstaking months in preparation for my eventual career change.

I lifted them to my face, checking for any damage in the lenses or wiring and thankfully finding none. I put them on, just hand automatically going to the dial on the side as turning it slowly.

My sight was inundated with various colors as my goggles switched from regular vision to infrared, and I turned my head as I gazed around at the various warm and cold spots in my room.

Deciding that that setting was working fine, I turned the dial once more. Instantly the walls of my loft turned a pale blue, previously hidden electrical currents making themselves known.

Anything running on electricity would show up on this setting, batteries, semblances, wall outlets, it didn't matter. If it used electricity I would be able to see it.

I flipped through the settings, making sure the night vision was also good despite my really not needing it on account of my feline heritage. It was also fine, and I was relieved I wouldn't have to make any last minute fixes. That would take hours depending on what went wrong.

I turned my attention to my mask. It was simpler, yet no more important to my goggles, and not just in the fact that it concealed my identity.

The mask was what allowed me to use my sleep pellets without any harm to myself, as it constantly filtered the air around me to be breathable. With it on, I could enter a room full of carbon monoxide gas and be none the wiser, it was an integral part of my kit. It was also capable of shallow diving should the need arise, though that would wear on the filters much faster than usual.

I checked it over, making sure the light blue LEDs were in working order as they were what let me know the status of the air around me, while at the same time making sure I still had the spare filters in my satchel. It wouldn't do for a filter to expire without a backup on hand.

I rummaged around in the satchel momentarily, making sure the filters were where they always were and finding them instantly.

Everything was in good condition and I was as prepared as I was going to get. And yet I had to resist the urge to do another once over on my equipment.

I took a deep breath, I had stalled enough, it was time to get this show on the road. I placed my goggles on my head and the mask over my face, before turning and grabbing Trick from his place on the table and placing him in the holster at my thigh.

I have one last look around the room to ensure I hadn't left anything incriminating on the very off chance that someone might make their way up here. Ruby had been known to barge in on occasion, though she never came up here and was very apologetic when she did so. Finding nothing that would reveal me, I turned off the lights and made my way over to the window.

As I undid the latch and slipped out into the chilly night, I wondered what my grandfather would say if he could see me now...

Heh, he'd probably say something like, 'Rei, if you're really going to become a master thief, make sure you become the best thief Remnant has ever seen! No granddaughter of mine is going to half ass anything in life, even crime!'

I stood on the roof of my bakery, gazing around at the sleeping city around me, and grinned as I pulled my hood over my head.

I would do my best to make him proud.

~~~

The facility wasn't so much hidden as it was extremely out of the way, nestled against a mountain outside of the city and unlikely to be happened upon unless somebody was looking for it specifically.

Like I was.

The outside of the building itself was painted a dark green to better blend in with the surrounding forest, and large metal walls covered in moss and leaves had been erected around it to give some semblance of protection against any grimm that might happen upon it.

I gazed down at the camouflaged building from my place in the trees, goggles zooming in on the facility as I took note of the guards. There weren't many of them, only four if my count was correct, and they were just boredly walking around in a mock patrol route, clearly not really looking for any potential intruders.

I could tell with just one look that none of them really wanted to be there, faces placid as they boredly walked around the perimeter of the wall in predictable patterns. Two of them walked along the length of the perimeter, while another two walked the width. A simple to learn pattern and one that I had noticed in only minutes of observation.

And with only a few minutes more, I had discovered the weak point in said patrol route. While I obviously wouldn't be able to enter through the front gate, nor simply scale the walls themselves without being seen, there was a large tree growing right beside the wall that they had neglected to prune. And it was tall enough to hang directly over the base itself. That was my way in.

I deactivated my goggles and turned to face the trunk of the tree I was crouched on. I unsheathed my claws and stuck them in the tree, planting my boots on the bark in the same motion. I quickly made my way down to the floor below, landing silently among the leaves in a crouch.

I stalked up to the tree I had noticed, keeping an eye out for the nearest patrol, and started scaling it, reaching the optimal height in just a few seconds thanks to my claws. I crouched on the branch of the tree, looking into the interior of the walls in case there were any more guards nearby.

Luckily, there were only two, and they were currently preoccupied conversing with each other well away from the entrance to the facility. If I just stuck to the other side, I would be able to sneak past them no problem. I did just that, and within seconds, I was inside the base proper.

It was eerily empty, the stark white hallway echoing my light footsteps over its surface and I shivered lightly, resolving to get the dust as quickly as possible.

'I guess the researchers are all on break or something…' I thought to myself as I slinked through the vacant white hallway, 'Oh well, more time to find the dust I guess.'

I turned the dial on my goggles, setting it to thermal mode. If the intel I got was accurate, the tundra dust would need to be kept somewhere cold as a precaution, just in case the container holding it broke. Keeping the room around it cold would lower the speed of the spread of the ice the dust created drastically.

There! A few rooms up ahead was a room significantly colder than the rest of the base, that must be where they were keeping it. Seemingly unguarded too, unless…

I turned my goggles to search for electronic signals, and was rewarded with the revelation of several cameras hidden along the walls of the hall, all pointed directly at my destination.

'I'll have to deal with those cameras before I get anywhere near that room.' I thought as I silently made my way further down the hall.

I brought a hand to my waist, retrieving a ball bearing from the pouch and placing it in the sling of my arm mounted slingshot, pulling it back tightly as I aimed at one of the cameras. I took a second to steady my aim before letting loose, band snapping forward and sending the steel bearing sailing at the monitoring device.

It impacted the camera and shattered the glass face, rendering it useless. I did the same to the others in quick succession, destroying the cameras pointed at my quarry and leaving me free to enter the room.

I hurried forward to the door and opened it, thankful that it was unlocked, before entering it swiftly and closing it shut behind me. I was on a time limit now, if anybody walked down that hall they would no doubt notice the broken cameras and come to investigate. I had to get the container and get out quickly.

I looked around the blinding white room, breath fogging in front of my mask at the cold air, and spotted the container immediately. It really wasn't all that hard to find considering it was sitting literally out in the open, protected by a glass case in the middle of the room.

I walked up to the case, checking over its surface and finding no latch or anything that would allow me to open it. That was fine though, I had other options, and there were several gaps in the glass that looked perfect for one of them.

I reached down to my side, pulling my knife out of its holster and inserting it into one of the small openings on the face of the glass and attempting to lever it open. It took a few tries, but eventually the case obeyed, opening up and relinquishing my quarry without issue. I didn't waste any time, grabbing the white container holding the dust and stuffing it into my satchel.

Dust stolen. Now to get out of the base, hopefully without being caught.

My hopes were dashed as my ears picked up the sound of the door opening behind me. I whirled around, hand coming to the pellet pouch on my waist and retrieving a small glass pellet full of chemicals. It seemed someone had noticed the destroyed cameras.

"Hey! What are yo-?!" He was cut off as I chucked the pellet at the ground at his feet, the fragile casing splitting on contact and causing a plume of white smoke to bloom rapidly, "Agh! What the hell?" He staggered as the chemicals in the smoke immediately began taking effect, depressing his nervous system and depriving his brain of oxygen, slowly sending him to sleep.

It wouldn't be quick enough though, and I could already see him gearing up to call for help. Couldn't have that.

I rushed through the smoke, unaffected thanks to my mask, and slammed into him with my shoulder, my white aura flickering around me at the impact. As I made contact, I activated my semblance, grinning at what I felt.

Semblances were said to be the manifestations of a person's soul, and that was never more true than in my case. My semblance was perfect for my line of work.

I had discovered my semblance when a heist had gone wrong and I was caught by a crime boss who I had been stealing from at the time. He had found me in his office, rifling through his drawers in search of something valuable.

Needless to say, he was not happy at all and fell into a fit of range when he saw me.

If it wasn't for my semblance activating at an opportune time, I probably would have died there. The boss had a run of the mill strength enhancing semblance, but when compared to the strength of a fifteen year old lynx faunus, it was more than enough to do me in.

As he strangled me against the wall, and as my vision began to fade to black, something sang out inside me, begging me to take what I needed to survive. And so I did.

We were both shocked when his monstrous strength suddenly disappeared, while mine grew. Suddenly he wasn't the one in control, I was. I capitalized on that, knocking him out against the wall and escaping into the night before any reinforcements showed up.

Only once I got back to the safety of the loft did I realize what had happened, I had stolen that man's semblance, taken the manifestation of his soul and used it for myself with my own semblance. I couldn't stop grinning as I went to bed that night. Finally, things were looking up.

My semblance, Borrow, allowed me to take another person's semblance-active or not-and use it for myself for up to an hour. Not only that, but while I was in possession of said semblance, I knew the basics of how it works without needing to be told, as well as the name of the semblance in question. Mine was the perfect semblance for a thief.

The man's semblance that I had just taken was perfect for getting me out of the situation I was in. It was an illusion based semblance that would allow me to manipulate the perceptions of anyone who saw me in such a way that I stayed unnoticed. A name rang out in my head, Wall Flower.

I looked down at his groaning form, making sure he wasn't getting up any time soon, before I flipped the switch in my brain to activate the semblance, and just like that, I was free to simply walk out the front door.

I left the guard lying on the ground, slowly rendered unconscious by my gas, and strolled down the hall. Several other guards rushed past me, ignoring me and moving out of my way as they made their way further into the base.

I turned my gaze this way and that as I walked out of the base, making sure that I wasn't caught by any hidden cameras. I didn't know if the man's semblance worked on electronics after all and I didn't want to test my luck this close to success.

Luckily I didn't see any cameras, and I exited the base the same way I had entered, scaling the wall and jumping down to the forest floor, dust container held securely in my satchel. The moment I landed, I broke into a run, sprinting into the forest as the alarms of the base sounded behind me.

As I got several minutes into the forest proper, I pointed my right arm up at the trees, depressing a button on the side of my arm guard and sending a hook soaring upwards to catch on the branches above. I gave it an experimental tug, testing the strength of the branch, before pressing another button and reeling in the line, sending myself flying upwards into the tree in the process.

I grabbed onto the bark with my claws, unhooking my grapple from the branch beside me and resting my back against the trunk of the tree, chest heaving with my breaths.

I took my mask off to get some fresh air, mind racing with the heist I had just pulled off. I had never pulled off anything nearly as bi

Still…My gaze strayed to my satchel and I debated for a moment before relenting and reaching inside. I retrieved the container, placing it on my lap and staring at its stark white surface, hands idly toying with the latches on the side. Something inside me was screaming at me to open it. Should I…?

My instincts had rarely been wrong before.

"Couldn't hurt right? I'll put it back before anything can go wrong…" I muttered as I unlocked the latches on the container, pulling it open and gazing at the treasure inside.

As I opened the container, I was immediately blasted by a wave of cold, goosebumps spreading on my skin as the air around me dropped over forty degrees in seconds. This stuff was powerful.

And extremely beautiful as well. I nearly gasped as I pulled the vial out of its frost lined container, turning it his way and that as I was mesmerized by its beauty.

The powdered dust glowed a bright, brilliant blue in the dim forest light. Fractals formed on the glass vial as the dust inside cooled the tempered glass keeping it contained. It was incredible and I could feel my own aura sing out with…something as I stared at the vial. It was like whatever went into the making of this little vial of dust was resonating with my very own soul.

I wanted nothing more than to stare at the vial forever. Unfortunately I had a client to meet, and I imagined they wouldn't be happy if I kept them waiting much longer.

I admired the vial for a moment longer before regretfully putting it back into the case and closing it once more. I placed the container back into my satchel and began making my way to the edge of the branch I was sitting on. My eyes darted around before spying another branch of similar thickness to the one I was inhabiting. I aimed my grapple at it and released, successfully snagging it.

I tested the line before nodding slightly and jumping down from my branch, swinging down and landing on the forest floor with a roll before I kicked back up to my feet. I took a second to get my bearings, reeling in my grappling hook and looking around to discern which direction Vale was in before making my way towards the city.

Hopefully my client would be pleased.
~~~
JustAUser, JVR, Ricardo T II, Christian, Kaizer, Jimmy Inthavong, David Bray

If you'd like to join them in supporting me and get chapters early, you can find me here: Sadguychet | Patreon

Chapter 3
I skulked through the dirty streets of the slums as I looked for the meeting point my client had specified, "Warehouse C13…Warehouse C13…" I muttered to myself as I looked around, keeping an eye out for any shady individuals. Like myself for instance.

The area I was currently in was one of the more dangerous parts of the city due to the lack of police presence, broken windows dotted the various abandoned buildings and doors hung off their hinges from where they had been broken into and not repaired. It was the kind of place where you kept your eyes forward and minded your own business if you knew what was good for you, as evidenced by the lack of gazes turning my way as I passed by the various alleys filled with loitering people.

Given my nature as a thief, I rarely ventured into this part of the city simply for a lack of valuable things to steal. That, and the fact that I hated fighting and a fight was surely to break out should I have been caught lurking where I shouldn't be.

Hopefully the meeting with my mysterious client wouldn't take too long, I didn't want to be here any longer than I had to.

Luckily, the row of warehouses was thankfully abandoned, now I just needed to find the right one. I looked at the numbers on the warehouses, searching for the one my client had specified.

A4… A12… B7…C3...C10…

There, at the end of row C, in big white letters on the side of the building itself, C13. That was the meeting spot. Now to get inside

I decided against trying to enter through the front door, instead going around to the side of the building to look for an alternate entrance.

I looked down the alley and spied a large stack of milk crates leading up to a window, perfect.

I climbed up the crates, carefully balancing myself as they wobbled underneath me, "Careful…" I muttered as I slowly made my way higher and higher, the crates becoming more precarious as I went. It would be just my luck to make it this far and then undo all my progress with a single misstep.

Luckily, it only took a few moments for me to reach my quarry, a window looking into the interior of the warehouse. There was a thick pane of glass blocking me from the inside, one I couldn't break without making a ton of noise. Thankfully, I could already tell I wouldn't need to break it.

I retrieved my knife, placing the thin edge between the pane of glass and the rubber holding it in place. With a few twists of my wrist the entire pane popped out of the rubber housing. I made sure to keep a good grip on it with my claws as I pulled it free, lest it fall to the alley floor and render all of my sneaking useless.

I carefully placed the pane on the crate beside my foot, before crawling into the now open window, falling into the dark interior of the building.

I landed inside, even my feather-light footsteps echoing in the empty warehouse. I loved my gaze back and forth, eyes rendering the surrounding darkness impotent as my heritage lit up the area via night vision.

That still didn't stop me from nearly jumping out of my boots at the sound of a voice suddenly calling out to me.

"Good evening Miss."

I startled, hand coming to my side to retrieve Trick from his holster just in case. It was unneeded however, for as soon as I saw the clothing and demeanor of the person walking in, I knew this person was there to meet me specifically.

He was very tall, clearing six feet easily. He was an older man, not a single non grey hair to be seen on either his head or in his well groomed beard. He was wearing a well-fitted dark blue suit with white gloves on either hand, in one of which he held a beautiful cane topped by a dark purple gem that gleamed in the moonlight drifting through the windows of the warehouse.

He also looked remarkably like a Schnee. He had their pale, almost porcelain skin, as well as their icy white hair and brilliant blue eyes. If the Schnee family tree wasn't public record, I could easily mistake him for one of their own.

He was flanked by two bodyguards, a man and a woman. The bald man was massive, nearly seven feet tall and all muscle, his face was sat in a stony expression as he flanked his employer. A standard warhammer sat on his back, while a large revolver was strapped to his thigh much like Trick was to mine.

The woman was much shorter around my own height at five foot seven or so, she was wearing an oni mask that obscured her face, and a shock of silver hair hung in a high ponytail behind her head. Slung across her back was a pole that was clearly mechashift, though I had no inkling as to what kind of weapon it actually was.

The both of them were wearing suits that wouldn't look out of place in a corporate meeting, and yet I could tell at just a glance that their attire wouldn't stop them from beating me up and down the warehouse floors if it came to it.

The guards stopped several feet back as the man I assumed to be my client stride forward, his cane tapping lightly on the ground with every step. He stopped two feet or so in front of me and I resisted the urge to gulp as his icy blue gaze pierced me.

"You must be the thief I hired." His voice had a deep timbre as he spoke, "I am Gerald Grull, a pleasure to make your acquaintance madam." He bowed formally, and I was reminded of those old movies with the royal aristocracy. This man practically oozed regal decorum.

I hesitated, wondering if I should reveal my real name, before deciding that it probably didn't matter as Gerard hadn't hired me under a pseudonym, "Rei Lynx, it's nice to meet you." I didn't even attempt to replicate his bow, no reason to embarrass myself.

He grinned, "A pleasure, Miss Lynx." He then rose from his bow, tapping his cane on the ground once in a soft, yet deliberate, motion, "Now, I assume since you are here, you have the item I requested?"

Straight to business, I liked that. I nodded at his question, "Yes sir, I have it right here." I reached my hands into my satchel, producing the small white container and holding it out for him to take. He did so slowly, reverently gazing at the container like it contained all of the secrets in the universe.

He slowly unlatched the latches on the sides, before gently raising the lid. The moment the lid was opened, the same feeling as before sung out inside of me, and I had to hold myself back from gasping.

Gerard did no such thing, gasping in awe as the blue glow of the dust vial lit up his features. He stared into the container, before reaching in and retrieving the vial, bathing the surrounding warehouse a soft blue.

"Incredible…" He muttered, enraptured by the glow.

He snapped a finger towards his guards, "Pay the lady for her services." He spoke to the woman behind him. She immediately reached into her pocket and retrieved a scroll, tapping on it rapidly before placing it back where it came from, resuming her silent vigil.

My own scroll buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it, powering it on curiously. I nearly dropped it in shock at what I saw.

Vale Banking App

Account number: 4483***********

Received: 250,000 lien

From Account Number: 8060**********

"There should be a nice little bonus in there for your marvelous work." Gerard's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and I placed my scroll away.

"T-thank you sir." I stuttered as I took in the sudden improvement in my financial situation. Already my mind was whirling with all that I could do -could fix- with the money now accessible to me. Junior's thugs seemed like such a small problem now…

Gerard didn't acknowledge my thanks, simply holding the vial up to his face as he studied it intently. There was a soft look on his features, as if he was gazing at something he held very dear to him, mouth twisted in a melancholic smile.

"Remarkable isn't it?" He spoke wistfully, staring at the glowing vial. I had a feeling he wasn't talking to me so I kept my mouth shut, "How such wonder is held in such a small container? Truly incredible, almost…magical."

Something he said stuck me, and I just couldn't keep quiet, "I-is that why it felt so…weird when I grabbed it?" I asked against my better judgment. He glanced over at me in surprise.

"You felt something from the vial?" He asked and I nodded. He hummed, giving me a look I couldn't quite place, "Would you kindly explain to me what exactly you felt?"

I figured there was no harm in it, "It was like something in the vial was singing to me, like my very soul was yearning for…something inside of it. It's hard to explain."

He stroked his beard softly, "So you could feel her essence inside the dust. Curious, the only way that would be possible would be…" He trailed off, blue eyes studying me, inscrutable.

"So wait, the singing I felt had something to do with what they put in the dust?" I asked, confusion in my voice.

He chuckled, placing the vial softly back into its container. I felt a pang of disappointment as it disappeared from view, "I'm afraid you wouldn't understand, child. Though that is certainly no fault of your own. Forces conspire against you to keep you in ignorance, believing it to be for your betterment."

I could tell he wasn't going to elaborate so I just nodded.

He shook his head, "Yes well, regardless you did a swell job. A bit noisier than I would have liked but I imagine my first option would have been just as noisy if not more."

I perked up, "Oh that reminds me, who recommended me to you? I was trying to keep a low profile, I didn't know anybody even knew who I was."

He stroked his beard, "Funnily enough, my first option for this heist recommended you, a rather charming young man by the name of Roman Torchwick. When I approached him to hire him for this little caper, he said he was busy with an ongoing contract and recommended me to you instead."

I was stunned. Roman Torchwick was one of the best thieves this side of Mistral, to hear he not only knew of me but recommended me in his place was stunning to hear.

Gerard hummed, "Yes, he referred to you as a 'resident up-and-comer', if I recall correctly. It is good to see he wasn't exaggerating."

"Wow…" I whispered.

He chuckled at my awe, "Yes well, I'm quite glad he recommended you, you did a stupendous job. In fact, after such a job well done, I have an offer for you."

His gaze turned serious and he snapped his fingers once more. This time the large man strode forward to his side, grabbing the container out of Gerard's hands before returning back to his place beside the woman.

"You see Miss Lynx, this vial isn't the only of its kind, simply the easiest to obtain." Gerard explained, placing both hands on his cane in front of him, "There are three others by my calculations, one in each Kingdom. I have taken a vested interest in these experimental dust vials, and would like nothing more than to obtain them all. That is where you come in."

Gerard stared into my eyes, "I would like to hire you to steal the other vials for me. It will be a difficult endeavor, but one I am sure you are more than equipped for if your performance tonight is any indication."

He laid out his terms plainly, "I am willing to offer you one hundred thousand lien per month to keep you on retainer to steal the other vials across Remnant, as well as other jobs that may require your specific skill set. Depending on how difficult the job is or how swiftly and quietly it is done, other rewards may come into play. You will find that in my employ, money is of no consequence."

I was stunned speechless. With that much lien…I wouldn't ever have to worry about money ever again!

And yet, something told me that stealing the other vials wouldn't be nearly as simple as the first had. The others would likely be held under much stronger security after I had stolen this one. Planning the heists would take days at a time, and if any of the heists fell through…

And that wasn't even mentioning these, 'other jobs' he was referring to. Who knows what kind of danger I could find myself in. I was still a small-time thief, not a master heist maker, this was a huge step up.

I would need to sleep on it, revisit the offer with a clear head.

I looked back to Gerard who patiently awaited my answer, "Could I have some time to think about it? T-this is a big commitment."

Gerard smiled softly, "I understand Miss Lynx, take all the time you need." He motioned to the woman behind him, who once again pulled out her scroll and started typing.

My scroll buzzed again and I pulled it out. I blinked in surprise as I saw a message saying a new contact had been added. I didn't even know you could do that…

"My contact information." Gerard explained, "Let me know when you have considered my offer. I will be pleased to hear from you no matter your answer."

Gerard gave me another bow, before straightening and turning to exit the warehouse, "Farewell Miss Lynx. I hope we meet again."

I stared after him as he and his bodyguards as they exited, before deciding I might as well make my own escape.

I left the warehouse through the same window I came in through. As I got into the alley, I shot my grapple upwards and zipped to the roof of the nearby apartments, before beginning to make my way back to my home/workplace across the rooftops.

It took around an hour to get to the bakery, and I slipped into the loft through the unlocked window, turning on the small lamp on my bedside table as I began disrobing.

I shucked off my gear, placing my various gadgets onto the table beside Trick. I slipped off my dark blue jacket and shirt, throwing them into the basket by the door along with my pants, before making my way into the bathroom.

I briefly inspected myself in the mirror, taking in my weary appearance. All things considered, the day had gone great. The heist had gone off without much of a hitch, I had met my extremely rich client, and had even gotten a little bonus on top of what was promised.

I tested my aura levels, my blue eyes briefly flashing white as I activated my semblance, before going back to normal as no other semblance was around to be stolen. My aura reserves were nearly full, good. I nodded at myself in the mirror before turning to start a shower, ready to unwind.

I turned on the shower, testing the water's temperature with my hand before stepping under the showerhead, sighing as my tense muscles slowly unwound under the steamy water.

As I languished under the warm spray of the shower, my mind wandered to Gerard's offer. One hundred thousand lien just to be employed by him, along with bonuses for how well I did on the jobs he sent me on... A life changing amount of money ready to be paid over and over as I did either nothing at all, or did what I did best.

It was an incredible opportunity, one that would likely never come again if declined , so why was I hesitating?

I knew why, accepting his offer would turn my little side profession into a full time gig, something I wasn't sure I was prepared for. It would likely leave little time for my job at the bakery as I stayed on call for whenever Gerard needed me. That less time to bake, less hours open, less Ruby…

The red clad girl had been a wonderful constant in my life for years, and I had grown incredibly fond of her in that time, to the point that I knew that my feelings had become far from platonic. Losing that constant was something I would really rather not do, not before I had a chance to see if our relationship could evolve at least…

I would have to think on it more, maybe ask Gerard for some specifics. Maybe I would be able to accept his proposal while still keeping the lifestyle I had come to love.

As I dried myself, slipping into a T-shirt and panties, I couldn't help but wonder why Gerard had chosen me instead of finding another, better thief. All of my other excursions had amounted to petty theft and jewelry, nothing like what he had offered.

Not to mention that in Vale alone, even disregarding Roman Torchwick, there were dozens of thieves better at their craft than I was. So why…?

Well, that was a problem for later, for now I just wanted to sleep, no use worrying over it as tired as I was at the moment.

I slipped under the covers of my bed, mind aflutter with thoughts of what I would be able to do now that the looming threat of bankruptcy wasn't walking behind me every step I took. A familiar high pitched voice and shy giggles raced across my thoughts and I grinned softly.

Maybe I could buy Ruby something nice for when she next visited. Maybe flirt with her a bit while I was at it to test her reaction. Even if she turned out not to be interested, I still enjoyed the way she acted when she got flustered…

I fell asleep with a smile on my face, blurs of red and silver racing through my thoughts.
~~~
JustAUser, JVR, Ricardo T II, Christian, Kaizer, Jimmy Inthavong, David Bray, Rebel King Lucifer, Duci10, Kroz

If you'd like to join them in supporting me and get chapters early, you can find me there: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=76390200

Last edited:
Chapter 4
Sometimes running a bakery, especially one as slow as mine, was more trouble than it was worth.

"Stupid…fucking…oven!" I grunted as I scrubbed at the metal walls, occasionally reaching back and dipping my sponge in the soapy water bucket.

I was currently waist deep in one of the many ovens in my bakery's kitchen, scrubbing at the walls and edges in an attempt to clean all the caked on soot.

This was something I had to do twice a month or so to make sure everything stayed sanitary. It took hours and was a huge pain in the ass. Not to mention that I couldn't use the oven for around an hour after I finished cleaning. The cleaning solution I used needed to dry before I baked again to prevent food contamination. Trying to dry it faster by turning the oven on wouldn't allow the chemicals to properly set, I had to wait.

I sighed, extricating myself from the bowels of the oven and sitting back on my knees, "Even with all the money in the world, some things stay the same huh?" I wiped my face free of sweat, grimacing as I caught sight of my reflection in the now shiny oven. I had accidentally left a streak of soot on my face where I wiped my forehead. Great.

I stood and made my way to the sink, turning on the tap and splashing myself in the face. As I cleaned myself, my mind wandered to Gerard and his offer.

Around a week had passed since that fateful encounter, and I still hadn't given the man an answer. It had been a week full of intense deliberation as I tried to decide what exactly I should do.

I had done some research on Gerard as I deliberated, and what I had found was both intriguing, and extremely confusing.

From what my research turned up, Gerard Grull, twelfth of his name, was an extremely rich man and head of the Grull Estate. He mostly kept to himself and was rarely, if ever, seen in public. He stayed in his manor nearly twenty-four seven, and sent his servants out to get anything he needed.

In fact, the most recent sighting of him in public was the night I met him, someone having apparently snapped a pic of him as he left the warehouse. Luckily, nothing indicated they had seen me as well.

And…that was it. That was all I could find on him. Any other information about him wasn't available to the public or simply just didn't exist. It was strange.

Most people would see that and assume he was simply an introverted man content to live on the wealth his family had accrued, but I had actually met him. And just from that single meeting I could tell he was much more than just an eccentric rich man.

Everything about Gerard exuded restrained intelligence. The change in his demeanor when I mentioned what I had felt from the vail, the look in his eyes when he had given me that offer had been nothing but pure resolve, staring intently through me towards some unseen goal known only to him.

Yes, Gerard was a man of mysteries, and they didn't seem to get any clearer the more I looked into him.

His offer was extremely tempting, probably the most tempting thing I'd ever experienced in my life. And yet I couldn't be sure that there were no strings attached, he was pretty cagey with the details.

I sighed, this was all so complicated and I couldn't help but wish things could go back to the simplicity of a few days ago.

I was interrupted from my thoughts by the slightly muffled sound of my scroll ringing in my pocket. I turned off the tap with one hand while pulling the device out with the other. I was careful not to get it wet as I placed the scroll to my ear, holding it there with my shoulder as I dried my hands with a towel, "Hello?"

"REEIIII!"

"OW!" I jerked my head away from the sudden blast of noise, sending my scroll clattering to the floor. The ears on top of my head twitched in pain at what they had just experienced and I brought my hand up to my head, rubbing the furry appendages to alleviate the pain.

"What the hell was that?" I questioned aloud as I bent down to pick up my scroll, looking at the caller ID.

Ruby Rose

Well, that explained it.

I picked the scroll back up, this time placing it to my face much more slowly, "Ruby?" I said hesitantly.

"Rei, I'm so sorry! I forgot how sensitive your hearing is!" Ruby apologized.

I laughed lightly as I began making my way from the back and into the bakery proper, "It's alright Ruby. I know how excited you can get, no harm done."

"So what's up? Why'd you call, not that I'm at all unhappy to hear your voice. Probably the best part of my day so far really." I teased her.

She sputtered incoherently and I laughed, already feeling better, "Reeeiiii." She whined.

"I'll stop, I'll stop." I surrendered. Ruby Let out a relieved sigh on the other end of the line, "So what are you calling about?"

"You made me promise to tell you about Beacon the first time I got a break, remember?"

I did not, in fact, remember that, but I certainly wasn't going to say no to a conversation with my favorite person, "All right, lay it on me Ruby."

As Ruby told her story, I became more and more glad I had decided not to become a huntress, while at the same time beginning to worry for the younger girl's health and mental state.

Simply put, these people were fucking nuts!

Getting literally launched into a grimm infested forest and told to find chess pieces?! riding on the back of a giant Nevermore in search of said pieces?!

Running up a giant cliff while being propelled by a slingshot made from a teammate's weapon and powered by gravity glyphs to decapitate the giant bird after it got rightfully angry?! All while another team caught and killed a scorpion grimm the size of a bus?! What were these people on?!

I shook myself. All that had happened and Ruby wasn't hurt in the slightest, she'd be able to deal with whatever they threw at her next.

This girl was going to give me a heart attack.

"So who all is on your team? Anybody you know?" I asked, trying desperately to change the topic in an attempt to keep my heart rate under control.

"Well, Yang's on my team. Despite her best efforts." She muttered that last part angrily.

I stifled a laugh, Yang had always been trying to get Ruby to branch out and socialize more. The redhead was adamant she was fine because she had me, but Yang had always pushed for her to have more friends.

Oh, Yang didn't dislike me or anything, in fact, we were pretty good friends, but she felt that it would massively help Ruby if she had friends who were in the same line of work.

Honestly, I agreed, it would be much less stressful if I knew Ruby would always have someone watching her back on those dangerous missions she would no doubt take as a huntress.

Hopefully her and the rest of her team would become fast friends.

"And there's also Weiss, she's a Schnee. Real prim and proper type." Ruby continued.

I knew the name, the heiress of the Schnee dust company, and also a really fantastic singer. I actually owned a few of her albums. Odd that she was attending Beacon instead of Atlas but I suppose the longer she spent away from her family, the better.

"I've heard of her. She is a really good singer." I said.

"Wait, she sings?" Ruby asked, astonished.

I laughed lightly, "Ruby, she's the one who sang Mirror Mirror. You know, my favorite song?"

I had always been a fan of the vocal aspects of songs. Nothing beat a good baseline backed by an even better voice, and few voices were as radiant as Weiss Schnee's.

"Wow…" Ruby was in awe, "I never would have guessed. She sounds so much different when she's yelling at me."

I frowned, "Why is she yelling at you?" Did I need to go over there and smack a bitch?

Ruby's tone was sheepish, "I-uh. I kind of exploded on her…"

What.

"You, exploded on her?" I enunciated carefully.

"She was the one waving that thing in my face! It wasn't my fault! And she gave me a pamphlet to be safe after we got into the auditorium! I know how to be safe!" Ruby cried.

That was…ok then.

"What about your last teammate?" I asked in an attempt to change the subject.

"Oh, she's Yang's partner, her name is Blake Belladonna. She's like a ninja or something, wearing all black and grey. And her weapon is a Kusarigama! Do you know how many people can use one of those without hitting people around them?! She's really good with it too!"

Belladonna? Wasn't that…? No, it must just be a coincidence, there's no way one of those Belladonnas would ever willingly room with a Schnee. Someone's throat would be torn out on the first night alone.

I walked to the front of my shop, taking in the empty storefront with a small sigh. Slow as always.

Oh well, not like money was an issue at the moment.

"So have you met some new people?" I asked as I leaned on the counter, "Other than your team I mean."

"Yeah! There's Jaune, he's pretty cool I guess, kinda awkward. And there's Nora and Ren, I think they're together, Nora keeps saying they're not 'together together' but anytime a girl get's close to Ren she gets all defensive and stuff so I'm not really sure what to think."

I laughed silently, sounded to me like Nora should stake her claim on her man before somebody else snatches him up…

"Oh! And get this, Pyrrha's on their team too! You know, the Mistral tournament champion?"

"Yes I know of her Ruby." I giggled, "Really, I don't know anybody over the age of four who doesn't, her face is everywhere these days. I even saw her on a cereal box the other day."

"That pumpkin cereal right? I saw that on the shelves back in patch but never actually tried it. Pumpkin flavored cereal? Yuck!"

"It's not bad. Definitely not good, but not bad. Way too sugary for me."

Ruby hummed, "Maybe I'd like it then. I love sweet things!"

I smirked, "That's true. Your cookie addiction has practically kept my bakery afloat all by itself."

Ruby sputtered, "It's not an addiction!"

"Sure, sure, whatever you say Ruby." I laughed, "Just remember to attend your weekly cookieholics anonymous meetings ok? You can't keep skipping out on them."

"Reeiii!"

I laughed loudly, " Ok, ok I'll stop. You've got so many new friends Ruby, you aren't planning to replace me are you?" I asked coyly, masking the actual pang of worry I felt.

Ruby was an extremely nice girl and the only reason she didn't already have loads of friends was because she was about as shy around new people as they come. Being introduced to a new environment with only her sister as familiar company would force her to branch out and show people what they were missing.

And while I knew it was stupid, I couldn't help but worry slightly that she would get all the attention she doubtlessly deserved and forget about me.

Luckily, she quickly reassured me of my worries. I could practically hear Ruby wave her arms in denial, "N-no way! You're my best friend Rei, nobody could replace you!" she said earnestly.

I giggled, masking my relief, "Well that's good to hear. Now, tell me about your classes, they must be interesting, yeah? Do you have a least favorite professor yet?"

She groaned, "Oh my Oum, Rei. There's this guy named Professor Port, and he is the most boring teacher I've ever had. Just yesterday he-"

As Ruby spoke about her upcoming studies and classes, my mind wandered to Gerard's offer and I wondered if I should ask Ruby for her input..

On the one hand, if I told her, she would no doubt do whatever she could to help me make the right decision. She was helpful like that.

"Rei…is something wrong?"

I was startled at the sudden question, "No, nothing's wrong. Why would you think that?"

"You're not acting like you usually do, you're quieter. You're teasing me, but…not as much as normal. You didn't even say anything about me exploding. That was like the perfect time to make one of your jokes…" she explained quietly.

I was stunned. She was right that hearing about her 'exploding' on another girl would have absolutely been the perfect time to tease her, and it wasn't an opportunity I would usually have missed. I just let the opportunity pass without even acknowledging it…

'I guess this whole situation with Gerard has messed with my head more than I thought…' I thought to myself. I ignored the rather large part of me that was happy that she knew me well enough to know that by now.

"Rei?"

"Yeah Ruby?"

"What's wrong?" She asked firmly, and I could instantly tell she wasn't going to let this go.

I debated on what to do. I could just tell her about the offer Gerard gave me and what it entailed, but that would also mean exposing my life as a thief to the girl who had been by my side since day one.

I bit my lip, my enlarged canines biting into the flesh and grounding me with a small amount of pain. I knew Ruby, me being a thief wouldn't stop her from being my friend, but it would definitely cause her unneeded worry. And if she knew about the increased danger of the heists I would be pulling under Gerard…

No, Ruby had more than enough stuff to worry about with Beacon, no need to add my minor issues to the mix. I'd just keep it vague.

"I recently got a job offer." I began hesitantly, "It pays really well. Well enough that I'd never have to worry about money again…"

"Rei, that's great!" Ruby cheered.

"Ruby! I'm trying to study!" A voice came from the background, and a smile appeared on my face as Ruby whispered an apology to who I assumed was her teammate. Probably Weiss, given the tone of the voice.

"But wait," Ruby said in confusion, "If it's such a great offer, what's the problem?"

"It's not the offer so much as what it entails." I sighed, "If I accepted, practically all my time would be taken up by it. I wouldn't be able to run the bakery full time, I would probably have to move…"

"Wow, that sounds like a big commitment." Ruby said quietly.

"Yeah." I said, just as quietly.

"Would…" Ruby hesitated, "Would we still be able to hang out?"

"Of course we would Ruby." I said immediately, "You're the person I treasure most. All the lien in Vale wouldn't be able to stop me from spending time with you."

Only after I said it did I realize just how that sounded. I meant every word of it, but I had never been so overt with my feelings towards her before. It was too late now though, I would just have to deal with her reaction as it came.

"R-Rei…" She sounded shocked and very slightly pleased, which was…good? Definitely not bad at least. I might have a chance.

There was a moment of silence before, "You should do it." Ruby said simply.

"Really? Just like that?" I asked, stunned.

"You said it yourself, I'm the one keeping your money rolling in. If this job will help you not have to worry about money anymore, I say go for it."

There was a small pause, "And if we can still spend time together, then what's the harm?" She finished quietly.

I sat there stunned for a moment. Just like that, Ruby had helped me make a decision I had spent a week agonizing over, just came up with a solution in moments.

Once again, I was reminded exactly why I felt what I felt for her. Now if only I could actually do something about it.

'Come on Rei!' I thought angrily to myself, 'Just ask her, the worst she can say is no!'

There were actually much worse things she could say, but something told me Ruby wasn't the type to insult my mother's genes so I probably didn't have anything to worry about there.

I just had to buck up and ask. What's the worst that can happen?

Why did I think that?

I took a deep breath to stop my thoughts from spiraling, "Hey, Ruby…" I began slowly, practically forcing the words out of my mouth, "Would you like to-I mean, whenever we're both free. Would you wanna-"

"Ruby, get off your scroll! You need to study! Professor Port said we have an exam on Monday!"

"Come on Weiss, I'm talking to my best friend!" Ruby whined and I sighed at the lost opportunity. It was probably for the best, I should wait until I got all this stuff with Gerard figured out before I tried to start anything with Ruby.

For now, I had found a great opportunity for teasing, all thanks to Ruby's more responsible teammate.

My voice took on a mock scolding tone, "Now Ruby, you know how important your studies are. You need to get good grades to be a good huntress, young lady." I pretended to chide her.

"H-hey! Don't take her side, Rei!" she whined again.

"See! Your friend knows the importance of studying, you should follow her example."

"But Weiss-"

"No buts! I'll not have my leader be a dumb brute who can't tell the difference between a Beringal and a Beowolf!"

"Those two are completely different!"

"Wait, they are?" And there was Yang's voice, clearly playing up the dumb blonde stereotype in an attempt to get on her teammate's nerves.

"Yes, you blonde buffoon!" And it worked.

I laughed loudly, a hand coming down to clutch at my stomach as I listened to the byplay between the teammates.

It took me a long moment to calm down, during which Yang had gotten Weiss more and more riled up until there was a large crash and a scream of rage as the heiress presumably threw something at the blonde. That just set me off again, and I couldn't help but notice that my mood has improved massively.

"R-Ruby," My speech was interspersed with giggles as I tried to stop laughing, "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Go study before Weiss decides to throw Yang out of the window or something."

"Are you sure? I thought you were going to ask me something." She said uncertainly.

I nodded even though she couldn't see me, "I'm sure Ruby, go study. You've already helped me more than enough." There would be enough time to gather my courage again in the future.

"Alright Rei. If you're sure…" she sounded slightly disappointed, "I'll try to visit next Saturday. If you're not busy with your new job I mean." She added on.

"I'll clear my schedule. We can hang out all day." I said happily, "For now go ahead and get to studying before Weiss explodes on your sister or something. Though I have a feeling Yang wouldn't mind that much."

"What?!"
"Huh?"
"Reeiii!"

"Bye Ruby! Good luck with your studies!" I hung up as I heard the outraged yells of Weiss in the background.

I smirked as I imagined the amount of chaos I had wrought with a single comment. That should more than make up for my little lapse in teasing earlier.

Now there was just one last thing to attend to…

I brought up the number Gerard had put into my scroll, hesitated with my finger above the call button, before I strengthened my resolve and pressed down, putting the scroll up to my face as it began to call.

The dial tone rang in my ear, once, twice, and then a female voice appeared on the line.

"You've reached Grull Estate, this is Eira, how may I assist you today." It obviously wasn't Gerard, most likely a secretary or something.

"Um yes, this is Rei Lynx. I am calling about an offer Gerard recently made to me."

"Ah, Mrs Lynx. Yes, he said to keep an ear out for you, I will transfer you to him. Please hold..."

There was a click and then the type of music you would hear in an elevator started playing softly. It was classy, much more classy than those holding songs that were just bad pop music.

I smiled lightly as I imagined some high class CEO being forced to listen to the latest hit pop music going around the kingdoms. They'd probably have a coronary.

I was brought out of my amused musings as the music stopped with the click of a phone being picked up, "This is Gerard Grull, head of the Grull estate. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to?" The older man sounded just as refined over the scroll as he did in person.

I cleared my throat lightly, "Um, yes this is Rei Lynx. We spoke the other day?."

"Ah, Mrs Lynx! It is a pleasure to hear from you again." He actually did sound happy to hear from her, his voice lifting from its business-like tone to something much more warm and friendly, "I assume you are contacting me in regards to my offer?"

"I am." I said simply.

"And your decision?"

I took a deep breath. I doubted there would be any going back after this decision, I hoped I wouldn't come to regret it, "I accept, though I have some conditions."

I could hear Gerard's wide smile as he spoke, "I am ecstatic to hear of your decision Mrs Lynx, and I am more than willing to hear of your conditions. Although, I would prefer if we could discuss said conditions in person, if that is alright with you. There are certain things that are best not spoken of over the scroll."

I hummed, the man had been straight with me so far, and there was no reason not to meet in person given he knew much more about me than I did about him. If he had wanted to do something to me, he knew where I lived and would have done so by now, "Alright, did you have a place in mind?"

My scroll beeped in my ear and I pulled it back to find that somebody, likely Gerard or someone working for him, had sent me a message. Opening it, I was met with a link, directions to a location on the edge of Vale.

"I just sent you a link with directions to my estate." Gerard explained as I put the scroll back to my ear, "Come by this weekend and we can discuss the conditions of your employment in person. I look forward to seeing you once more."

"Oh and Rei," He said as I went to hang up, "I am truly glad you gave my offer the proper consideration. You will not regret your decision, I assure you."

As the line went silent and I brought my scroll from my ear, I really hoped he wasn't wrong.

~~~

JustAUser, JVR, Ricardo T II, Christian, Kaizer, Jimmy Inthavong, David Bray, Rebel King Lucifer, Duci10, Kroz

If you'd like to join them in supporting me and get chapters early, you can find me there:
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=76390200

The next two chapters are already posted

Chapter 5
Gerard's estate was located on the edge of Vale, completely isolated from any other buildings for several miles. It was a bit of an annoyance considering I didn't have a car to get me there in a reasonable time, but I wasn't exactly going to complain about it.

I left my bakery in the city proper at around six in the morning and was just now reaching the estate at around eight. I had enjoyed the walk all things considered, the area outside of the city was nice and tranquil this early on a Saturday, those who didn't have work deciding to sleep in instead of heading out for the morning.

The area Gerard's estate was in was especially tranquil. It was situated on a large plot of forested land that was still within Vale's walls. That meant that there were no Grimm to be found, and that nature could flourish uncontested. My sensitive ears could pick up the sounds of animals running around deeper into the forest, something I hadn't ever heard in the city.

The mansion, because there was nothing else it could be called, wasn't too opulent. It was massive certainly, but it was tasteful, not the tacky display that could be seen in the richest of Atlesian nobles. Gerard clearly had money, but it seemed that he wasn't looking to display said money ostentatiously.

As I walked up to the large gates in front of the estate, they swung open automatically, startling me slightly. The following voice however, nearly made me jump out of my boots.

"Hello!"

"AH!"

My heart pounded in my chest as I stared at the woman who had greeted me.

She was a relatively young woman, early twenties if I had to guess, with tan skin and dark hair. Said hair hung around the shoulders of her well fitted dark-blue suit, framing her slightly round face and bright green eyes.

From underneath her hair, I could just barely see a pair of furry ears on the top of her skull. They were rounded, reminding me of an otter or maybe a bear, though her slender form suggested the former. Most faunus took at least tangential aspects of their heritage after all, it was why my legs were so well-muscled despite me not really working out at all apart from my nightime excursions.

As I studied the woman further, I could just barely make out the freckles lightly dusting the bridge of her nose and her cheeks. Her expression was contorted in surprise as she stared at me

"Oh!" She exclaimed as she took in my startled appearance, "Are you okay?"

I placed a hand to my chest, taking deep breaths as I calmed down from the sudden surprise, "Yeah. Yeah I'm good… You really scared me there. I can normally hear people's footsteps long before they actually get to me."

I looked down at her feet, noting the heels she was wearing with a confused expression, "I'm not sure why I couldn't hear yours. You're wearing heels."

The woman giggled, "I have learned just the right way to walk in these so I don't make too much noise." She explained happily, "Lord Gerard doesn't appreciate unwanted noise when he's taking care of important business."

She gasped suddenly, "Oh dear, I haven't introduced myself have I? Lord Gerard would be very disappointed in me."

She curtsied, hands coming down to lightly grip the edges of an invisible dress as she dipped, "Eina Minsel, Lord Gerard's personal assistant, at your service."

I smiled lightly as she rose, offering a shallow bow of my own, "Rei Lynx, nice to meet you."

She smiled at my display, "It's a pleasure Ms Lynx. Lord Gerard informed me to expect you sometime today, though I'm sure he'll be glad you decided to show up at such an early hour. He prefers to get business done as soon as possible, you see." She explained, before turning and gesturing toward the open gate, "Please, follow me. I will take you to him."

I followed behind her, the gates swinging closed behind us as we made our way up to the large doors of the mansion. The doors were massive, metal knockers on the surface engraved with symbols I couldn't read.

Eina reached up and placed her hand on one of the metal rings and as she did so, I felt a flare of something, and I couldn't help but be reminded of the dust vial I had recently stolen. I watched in surprise as the knocker glowed a soft blue, before the door swung open to allow us entry.

"This way please." Eina spoke as she led me inside. I followed behind, glancing backwards as the doors swung closed behind us, noting the lack of any visible mechanical parts that were normally seen on automatic doors. The glow was gone and so was the feeling it produced within me.

The inside of the mansion was just as elegant as the outside. Lacquered wood floors were covered by plush blue rugs with golden designs embroidered into the edges. The walls were covered in tasteful paintings, some of nature and some of figures that bore a remarkable resemblance to the very man I was there to meet. Uncannily so actually.

I stared at one such painting. It featured what looked like a much younger Gerard, his arm thrown around the shoulders of a woman with fiery red hair and pale skin. She was grinning with something akin to resigned fondness, a small smile barely visible on her face as blue eyes looked up at the painter.

It couldn't possibly be Gerard though. While a good portion of the painting was faded, leaving much of the background unable to be discerned, the small portion I could make out reminded me of a castle, a single stone spire visible among the damaged paint. The last intact castles had fallen into disrepair long ago, relics from a bygone era that nobody but the most studious scholars cared to remember let alone preserve. The painting was clearly decades-if not centuries-old.

"Ah, I see you've found one of Lord Gerard's favorites." Eina's voice broke me out of my trance as the woman walked up behind me.

I looked back at her in confusion, "What do you mean?"

She sighed softly as she stared up at the painting, "I often find Lord Gerard spending hours at a time simply standing here staring at this painting. It holds a special place in his heart." She turned to me with a conspiratorial smirk, "Honestly, the only reason I think it's out here in the hall instead of his study is so he doesn't spend all of his time staring at it."

"What's so special about it?" Sure, it was a nice painting. But it was so faded to the point that only the center was even discernable.

Eina shrugged, "I'm not entirely sure to be honest. He says it's a painting of his ancestor Gerard the First and his eventual wife Hera, but the way he stares at it…" She stared at the painting for another moment before shaking her head, turning back to me with a smile, "Well then, we've spent long enough dawdling I believe. Let us resume our journey."

She began making her way through the halls once more, myself following close behind. I cast a fleeting glance back at the painting, and the piercing green eyes of the woman inside seemed to follow me as I exited.

As we walked, my mind went back to the doors and the feeling I had received from them, "So what was that back there?" I questioned as we made our way deeper into the mansion

"Hm?" Eina looked back at her, "What are you referring to?"

I pointed back towards the doors, now well out of sight given how far we had walked, "The doors. How did they open and close like that? They just looked like regular doors to me, no mechanics or anything."

Eina made a small 'ahh' of recognition, "Oh that. I'm afraid the amount of information I can give you regarding the specifics is limited, but you are indeed correct that no mechanics are involved."

"Is it like your semblance or something?"

"In a sense I suppose." She said hesitantly, "I realy am afraid I can't tell you more however. I honestly shouldn't even have told you that much."

Well that sucked, "I see…" I said quietly.

She seemed to sense my disappointment, and turned to me with a comforting smile. "Don't worry Ms Lynx, if Lord Gerard has taken such an interest in you to actually offer you employment, I have a feeling that all will be made clear soon enough."

Before I could unwind that statement, Eina stopped in front of a large door, "Here we are!" She placed her knuckle against the wooden surface and knocked three times, "Lord Gerard? Your guest has arrived."

"Enter!" Came the voice I recognized as Gerard. Eina placed her hand on the door handle, which once again glowed blue and filled me with the strange sensation, before a click was heard as it unlocked and opened slowly.

Gerard was sitting at a large dark wood desk near the back of the room, it looked like he had been staring intently at a stack of papers when Eina had called out to him, "Hm? Ah, Ms Lynx! It is wonderful to see you!" He placed the papers down on his desk as he rose to greet me, "You didn't have too much trouble finding the place I hope."

I shook my head as I made my way over to him, "No not really. Yours is pretty much the only place for miles, pretty easy to find honestly."

He held his hand out to shake, and I did so happily, "Yes well, I do like my privacy," he released my hand, gesturing to a small sitting area at the edge of the room, "Come, sit. Eina, bring our guest and I some refreshments please."

Said woman bowed lightly, before turning and walking out of the room, closing the door softly behind her.

I followed Gerard to the sitting area, looking around and studying as I did so. The walls were covered with thick books, times really, whose names ranged from 'History of Valean Architecture' to 'The Impossibility of Grimm Mating Rituals'.

I didn't even know grimm could even breed. In fact, I was pretty sure they couldn't.

'I guess that's why it's not the Possibility of Grimm Mating Rituals.' I mused to myself as I sat down across from my host. Gerard took the seat across from me, sighing in contentment as he sank into the plush chair.

"Hmm…" He sighed, "I truly must thank the person who recommended these chairs. Vacuo imports, extremely high quality wool linings, really conforms around your body when you recline in them. One of my best purchases to date."

"They are very comfy." I agreed as I settled into my own chair. It was quite possibly the softest chair I had ever sat in in my life, perfectly plush yet firm and supporting in all the right places.

Now that I actually had money, I was tempted to get one for myself. Though I had a feeling it would just look extremely gaudy sitting by itself in my loft. Next to my queen sized mattress that barely fit on the frame.

As we got comfortable, my mind couldn't help but go back to the vial I had stolen, along with the things I had been feeling ever since I had entered the manor. I was filled with a yearning curiosity; what exactly was causing these feelings? Was it something Gerard had done? And how was it connected to the vial?

Even now, over a week later, I couldn't quite describe the experience. It was as if something within the vial had been reaching out to my very soul, yearning to make contact with my very being and do something I couldn't even imagine. I wanted to know what exactly could cause this feeling, and I had a feeling only Gerard had the answers I sought.

I figured there was no harm in simply asking. Gerard had been more than reasonable in both of our previous talks, he wouldn't kick me out over a simple question, "What did you do with the vial I stole?"

He hummed lightly at my question, "I am afraid I cannot tell you that Ms Lynx. It is a secret I must keep very close, you see. There is no telling what would happen if someone were to find out exactly what I am trying to do. Those with dubious intentions would no doubt seek me out if they ever caught wind."

I kept my disappointment from showing on my face, "I understand. And I'm sorry if my asking offended in any way. I was just… curious I suppose."

Whatever Gerard was doing with the vial I had stolen was none of my business. And despite my mind going back to the odd feeling I had gotten both times I had seen the vial uncased, and much as a massive part of me yearned to question just what was inside of said vial, I knew it wasn't my place to ask.

I put it out of my mind, that wasn't why I was here in the first place. It was time to get down to business.

I sat up in my chair, doing my best to look professional despite wearing a jacket and skinny jeans, "I suppose we should get down to business then."

Gerard nodded, straightening in his own chair, "Yes, I suppose the pleasantries can wait until after we are done." He cleared his throat lightly, "Well then Ms Lynx, when we spoke over the phone you told me you accepted my offer of employment with some conditions."

I nodded, "Yes. Your offer is extremely generous and a large part of me wanted to just accept right then and there. I gave it some thought however and there are certain terms I need to ensure are known before I agree."

To my relief, Gerard nodded. "Completely understandable. Only a fool agrees to such a high paying position without first making their own terms known." And at his smile, I couldn't help but feel I passed some kind of test, "Please, state them plainly."

I took a deep breath, before beginning to lay out my terms, "First of all, no killing. Full stop." I stated firmly, "I'm not a soldier, I'm not an assassin, I'm a thief. I will not kill anything but grimm. If I must kill in self defense, so be it, but you will not force me to do so."

Gerard nodded lightly, "More than reasonable Ms Lynx, I hired you as a thief so it would be foolish of me to attempt to force you to be anything else."

That was good. Honestly that had been the dealbreaker of all of my terms. I could have probably been bargained with on the other two, but I had no intentions of becoming a murderer, no matter how much he paid me.

"Second of all, I want to continue operating from my Bakery." This was probably the most personal of my requests. I had promised Ruby that things wouldn't change between us-or more specifically worsen, I wouldn't mind things changing for the better. I intended to keep that promise.

"Of course." Gerard agreed, "I understand that your shop holds a good deal of sentimental value to you, I will not ask you to leave it. In fact," He pulled his scroll from a pocket inside of his coat, tapping on it lightly before replacing it back where it came from, "Give me a small while and I will have your little issue with Hei-Xiong's ruffians dealt with."

I stared at him with wide eyes. I had never said anything about Junior's goons visiting my shop, or that I actually held a good deal of sentimental value to my bakery. How had he…?

I shook my head, it didn't matter. He had found me when I hadn't even broadcasted my presence to the greater Valean underworld and had somehow discovered my real name and phone number with little difficulty. This shouldn't be surprising at this point.

"Thank you." I expressed my gratitude.

Gerard simply waved me off, "Please, no thanks are needed. I will not have an employee of mine accosted by some common grunts. It is the least I can do." He gestured towards me, "Go ahead and finish stating your terms. Misa will deal with Xiong and his gang of ne'er do wells."

I smiled lightly, "My last term is the right to veto contracts that I feel are too dangerous." Here, Gerard frowned lightly and I hastened to explain, "Outside of the vials you've specifically contracted me to steal I mean. I understand that was the entire reason you hired me so of course I won't ask to veto any of the contracts to steal them, or ones that specifically help with the heist. I simply wish for the opportunity to not go on any jobs that I know I can't complete."

That seemed to placate him, and he nodded as his frown disappeared, "That sounds agreeable, I wouldn't wish to send you on a mission you didn't believe yourself ready for."

I smiled happily at his agreement, "Those are all of my terms."

"Very well Ms Lynx, I find all of your terms agreeable. But I would like to add two of my own in addition to yours if that is alright with you." He offered.

I nodded, "You're the one employing me. It would only be fair."

"You will not disclose the nature of the contracts or training with anybody I do not specifically clear." Here, any geniality that he previously had shown disappeared as his eyes peered into mine seriously, "It is of the utmost importance that nothing we accomplish together is told to those who would seek to undermine our efforts."

That meant I wouldn't be able to tell Ruby about the contract unless he specifically said I could. And while that would be difficult, it wasn't anything I couldn't manage. I nodded in agreement to his first term.

"And lastly, you will undergo training here at my estate at least twice a week." At my confused look, he explained, "Every person in my employ has at least intermediate combat training, from the chef to my personal guards, nobody is untrained. You did not attend a combat academy did you?"

I shook my head lightly, "No I didn't. I've got my aura and my semblance, along with my weapon Trick and a decent skill in using him, but even the weakest hunter or huntress would probably wipe the floor with me without much effort."

He hummed, stroking his beard lightly, "We will have to change that, perhaps get you an additional weapon. Even those in my employ with the least combat acumen could stand toe-to-toe with most regular guardians." I had never heard hunters referred to as guardians before, but I supposed it made sense.

All in all, his terms were extremely reasonable and I couldn't find any reason to disagree with them. They were simple and concise, and honestly better than most other clients I had worked with. I nodded, "Alright, I suppose that's reasonable. I agree to your terms."

Gerard gave a wide smile, "Wonderful! Then we are in business! I am glad we could so quickly come to an agreement on this matter."

Just then, I was filled with the strange sensation that was quickly becoming familiar and the door to the room opened to reveal Eina, two trays held in each of her hands, "Lord Gerard, here are the refreshments you requested."

"Ah Eina, perfect timing. Ms Lynx and I were just finishing up." He stood and grabbed the trays from his assistant, bringing them over and placing it on the table while at the same time dismissing her.

As Eina closed the door behind her once more, Gerard gestured at the spread he had sat upon the table, "Come Ms Lynx, take your fill of the spread. I understand you are a baker at heart and you simply must try the chocolate macarons. They're an old family recipe."

I chuckled lightly as I did as he said, grabbing one of the small treats from its place among the others in the tray and popping it into my mouth.

The moment it touched my tongue, my tastebuds practically exploded with flavor. The lightly crunchy exterior combined with the creamy buttercream interior, filled my mouth with an incredible sensation, and I hummed happily as I chewed the treat.

As I consumed the treat, I couldn't help but notice just how similar this macaron was to the ones my grandfather had taught me to make; that his grandfather had taught him to make and so on and so forth.

But that was impossible. The recipes for our baked treats had been in our family for centuries, well before the war and are never shared outside of the family. There was no possible way Gerard could have it, it was probably just a similar recipe.

I swallowed the treat, wiping my mouth with a small napkin, "These are delicious Gerard. If everything your servants make is as good as these are, I'm sure I'll enjoy working with you immensely."

And I was being completely truthful. While I didn't know exactly what the future held, I had a feeling that being employed by the man before me wouldn't be so bad. Something in the back of my mind told me I had made the right decision.

As Gerard and I settled into less business related conversations, I smiled happily as I grabbed another macaron from the tray.

They really were quite good.

And as always, a huge thanks to my Patrons!

If you'd like to join them in supporting me and get chapters early, you can find me there:
Now doing Commissions

How very intriguing! I have to guess that Rei's connection to the dust mix and her relation to Gerard are intertwined.

There's going to be so much angst from not telling Ruby, huh.

Thanks for writing!

Chapter 6
Ruby wasn't sure if it was possible to die of boredom, but she was also pretty sure she didn't want to find out.

Unfortunately, skipping class was a one way ticket to a Weiss scream session that she really didn't want to experience.

'Wait, Weiss…Scream?' Ruby thought to herself in dawning horror, 'Oh no I'm starting to pun like Yang!'

"-and of course when presented with the sight of my glorious mustache, the foul flock of Giant Nevermore's had no choice but to flee from me!" The man at the front of Ruby's classroom laughed boisterously, and the reaper felt her eyelids droop further.

Her eyes cut to the clock in the corner of the room, and she nearly groaned out loud as she saw that only thirty minutes of the hour and a half long class block had passed. She brought a hand to her face, rubbing at her tired eyes with a sigh as Professor Port continued his story up front.

To her left, Yang had already given up on the class, and was resting her hand on her cheek as she snoozed comfortably. Behind her, Blake was staring down at her lap, clearly not paying attention to anything going on up front.

'She's probably reading that book that nobody will let me read.' Ruby pouted in her head, 'I don't get it! Ninja's are awesome! I don't know what love has to do with awesome battles with katanas and shuriken, but it can't be that bad!'

Her mind suddenly went back to something very specific. Someone very specific, and her face flushed lightly as the image of a smirking faunus in a blue jacket appeared in her thoughts.

Rei Lynx was a name that had become synonymous with flustered confusion lately and Ruby wasn't really sure what to do about that. It seemed every time they talked recently she was left a stuttering blushing mess thanks to the other girl's words.

Ruby had met the faunus when she was young, having happened upon her bakery while she was wandering around Vale with her dad. She had caught the hint of fresh baked cookies on the wind and followed it to its source, eventually finding her way to the bakery.

They had become fast friends, and soon enough Ruby was looking forward to her almost weekly visits to her newly found best friend. She found they had a lot in common, both of them preferred their hobby's over people, they both liked Spruce Willis, and they both loved baking! In fact, Ruby was pretty sure she had never tasted cookies as good as Rei's were.

And she even got paid to make them. Ruby wished she was that lucky.

Still, in the past few years something had changed in the way Rei acted towards her. Something had shifted in their dynamic, for better or for worse, though Ruby personally believed it was the former.

Ruby's mind went back to the other girl's constant teasing and she could feel her face beginning to heat up with just the memory.

Rei's passes had been pretty overt as of recently, especially so after she got that new job that she had asked Ruby her opinion on. Ruby may have been a little naive, but she wasn't an idiot, she could see what the other girl was trying to say.

Rei was interested in her. Romantically. Her. Nerdy, weapon-maniac, cookie obsessed Ruby Rose. And she had no idea what to do with that information.

Ruby had never really examined her feelings towards the lynx faunus, but now she had been made extremely and acutely aware of their existence. And now that she was, Ruby was able to look at them with new eyes. That weird fuzzy feeling in her chest whenever Rei smirked at her, or the way her eyes softened when Ruby babbled about weapon designs. The hugs.

Ruby had a crush on her best friend. And she likely had for a while now.

That revelation was not as life changing as it should have been. Sure, it definitely put some of their interactions into perspective, but it wasn't like Ruby was suddenly going to start avoiding her best friend like one of the teenage girls from those teenage love dramas that Yang liked so much.

No, instead Ruby was honestly a little relieved. A little of things clicked for her after that little realization, and now Ruby just had to decide what to do about her feelings

Maybe…maybe Ruby would give it a chance. It couldn't hurt right? She could just ask Rei on a date to the movies or something, see where things led. Unless Ruby was reading the signs completely wrong, Rei was already interested in her, so she wasn't likely to reject her.

'And even if it doesn't work out, it's not like Rei's not gonna be my friend anymore.' She thought optimistically, 'And if it does work out, then I'll get to keep her cookies all to myself. It's a win-win!'

Now to figure out how to ask Rei on a date. That…was going to be the hard part. Great.

Ruby was snapped out of her thoughts by a sharp pinch on her arm, "Ow!" She recoiled, bringing a hand up to rub at the sensitive skin as she looked towards the offender.

Icy blue eyes glared at her unamusedly from under snow-white bangs as Weiss retracted her hand. "Pay attention Dolt!" The heiress whispered furiously, "He might quiz us on this! And I don't want to lose points on the team comprehension part of my grade!"

Ruby pouted, turning back to the front as Professor Port continued his tale of adventure and battle. She sighed as she felt her eyelids immediately begin to droop once more, and couldn't help but wonder if the man's semblance was being able to put people to sleep with his voice.

As her teacher continued to regale the uninterested class in his exploits, and as her eyes began to droop again, Ruby sighed.

Hopefully Rei was having fun at her new job…

~~~

"AGAIN!" I flinched as the scream assaulted my ears, bracing myself in preparation for what I knew was coming.

There were few things I regretted more at this moment than agreeing to Gerard's offer. It hadn't even been a month, and already I was feeling the consequences of my agreement.

Sweat ran in rivulets down my face, soaking into my shirt as I panted in exhaustion. My arms felt like they were on fire and my legs were only faring marginally better. My lungs screamed at me to stop but I couldn't. She wouldn't let me.

My opponent rushed at me, muscled legs eating the distance between us in mere moments. I brought my escrima sticks up in a desperate block, focusing my aura as best I could in preparation for the blow I knew was about to land.

It did nothing. The staff my opponent wielded slammed against my own weapons like a truck, immediately breaking through my guard and slamming into my unprotected chest.

"Gah!" I cried out in pain as I was sent sprawling to the floor, weapons clattering out of my grip to land on the mats several feet away from me.

My aura sparked and sputtered around my body as I laid where I landed. Sweat soaked my face and back, sticking my tanktop to my skin uncomfortably. I winced, feeling every single muscle in my body throbbing in pain with every breath I took, and I was reminded why I hated fighting. It sucked.

"Get up." The woman who had laid me out commanded, "We aren't finished yet. You are far from up to Lord Gerard's standards."

Damn taskmaster. I rolled over, placing my arms against the mat below and levering myself up with a grunting effort. I swayed lightly on my feet, breathing heavily as I turned to grab my escrima sticks from where they had landed, before turning to face the woman who had put me on the floor.

When Gerard had said I would be showing up to train at his estate multiple times a week, I was expecting something simple to start off with. Maybe some katas to go through, or some stances to practice.

I didn't expect to show up to the dojo, be handed two sticks of wood by my apparent instructor, and then be beaten black and blue until my fucking aura broke! Like seriously, she didn't even ask me my name before she started beating me senseless, what if I was just some random person who happened to make their way inside!?

…Though I suppose that that is exactly what she would do to said person, minus the handing them a weapon bit.

My instructor, Misa, was an older short woman who was clearly of Mistralian descent. She was also more than likely the same woman who had been guarding Gerard when I had first met him. Her distinctive long silver hair fell in a braid down her back, somehow staying neat even with our rigorous training. She was also barely breathing hard, clearly more than used to this level of physical activity.

If the color of her hair didn't clue me in, then the way she used her weapon certainly did. I recalled a spear attached to her back when I first met Gerard, and clearly it wasn't just for show.

While the wooden staff in her hands wasn't a spear, that didn't seem to matter one bit as the woman dexterously used it to kick my ass up and down the dojo for the past two hours. The length of wood was practically a blur as she spun it around her body, twirling like it was just another limb and I was hard pressed to even attempt to protect myself from her constant assault.

Her guard was perfect by all accounts, and any time I tried to go on the offensive, my attacks were easily blocked and then countered, leaving me on the backfoot once more. It was tiring to say the least.

And I couldn't even use my Semblance on her! I could feel it, the power bubbling under my skin and begging me to take her abilities for my own, but as I had found out the first time I tried, she was somehow immune to getting her semblance stolen.

It was like something had erected a barrier around her soul, only allowing me to observe what was inside and not interact with it. It was endlessly frustrating, because I could just feel that her Semblance was one that could help me out.

Our most recent exchange ended better than most. And by that I mean I just barely managed to stay on my feet instead of being sent crashing to the floor as she swept my legs out from under me.

"Why are we even fighting like this?" I panted out as I got back into the stance she had instructed me in, one stick held outward to ward off attacks, while the other was more near my body and ready to strike, "I'm a thief. Shouldn't you be training me on how to get away from people instead of fighting them?"

I could instantly tell that was the wrong thing to say but the way her expression hardened. Her arms blurred and the next strike to land against my weapons was much harder, and I winced as my arms shook with the force.

"Not every heist will go the way you plan it to." Misa scolded as she stepped back, immediately going in for another strike that I could barely block, "There will be times where you have no choice but to fight. Humans, Faunus, Grimm, a good portion of them are faster than you, stronger than you, smarter than you. Knowing how to hold your own long enough to escape can be the difference between life and death!"

Along with her words came a flurry of blows that I was hard pressed to keep up with.

The dojo was filled with the sounds of clacking wood as our weapons struck against one another. My breath came in short pants as I defended against her constant assault, while at the same time my eyes darted back and forth as I looked for an opportunity to get a hit of my own.

Right leg. Left arm. Abdomen. Head. The blows came one after another, Misa's weapon was a blur as she continued her attacks, never giving me even a second to rest as she tested my guard for all it was worth.

And then, after one particularly solid hit against my escrima sticks, I saw it. On the backswing, Misa's foot stepped ever-so-slightly too far to the side and she stumbled minutely. That was my chance.

Misa was an expert, and so the momentary lapse in footing was fixed in the fraction of a second, but it was still enough time to get my attack into motion.

One of my sticks slammed into the bottom of her staff, pushing it up and away from her middle. I grinned as her eyes widened in surprise, bringing my other arm forward, second weapon brandished as I struck out…

And landed a solid hit against her side, green aura flaring out from the area my attack hit.

'Hell yeah! I finally got her!' I grinned as I made contact. I immediately brought my other stick downwards, preparing to capitalize on the opening, 'Now I just need to keep her on the backfoo-'

Something changed. Misa's guard suddenly tightened like a castle closing its gates. Her staff moved impossibly fast, slapping my arms in quick succession and knocking my hands up and away from my body.

And as my arms flew to the side and my guard was broken, I stared helplessly as Misa reared her leg back for a devastating kick, 'Oh this is gonna hurt.'

She shot her leg forward, and I was pretty sure I could feel her foot touch my spine as her boot made contact with my abdomen. I went flying backwards, my escrima sticks falling out of my hands to land on the mats as I clutched at my middle in pain.

As I landed on the floor with a grunt, my aura shattered spectacularly, white sparks flickering over my form before fading away. Instantly, my limbs became heavy and my eyelids started to droop as exhaustion set it. I tried briefly to regain my composure and sit up, but I immediately gave up and let my head hit the floor with a small thud.

"Ugh… This sucks." I muttered to myself as I stared up at the lights on the ceiling. I really missed my relatively soft bed, hell, I'd even take a rough leather couch at this point.

As I moaned pitifully from my place on the floor, Misa sighed, twirling her staff lightly as she took a deep breath. "We're done for today." She said, and I nearly cried with relief. I was pretty sure that if I kept going, I would actually die.

Misa looked down at me, expression severe as always, "Get up. The longer you stay down there the harder it will be to stand again."

I groaned, before following her order. I planted my hands on the ground and levered myself up, huffing tiredly as I stood to my feet shakily.

As she took in my pitiful form, Misa's harsh continence softened ever so slightly, "You did good today. You've taken to your training faster than most. It's been a while since one of my students managed to land a hit on me."

I tried to grin as I did my best to get my breath under control, "Thanks I guess. Didn't do me much good in the end though..."

"Don't diminish yourself." Misa stated firmly, "I have been fighting for longer than you have been alive and have fought opponents far stronger than even veteran Guardians. It would be foolish to compare yourself to me. You did well."

I smiled despite my exhaustion, "Thank you."

"So well in fact, I'd say we've progressed far enough to begin live weapons training." she finished.

And there went my good mood. "Ugh… please tell me we don't have to do it this week. I have plans, you know."

Misa scoffed as she walked around to gather my discarded escrima sticks, "And do those plans involve sleeping until noon on a Saturday?"

"No!" I yelled in denial. Misa just raised an eyebrow and I blushed in embarrassment, "I only sleep until ten now…"

She shook her head wryly, "Right. In any case, you are in luck. We will not be sparring anymore this weekend, or next week as a matter of fact. You will need ample time to prepare yourself."

"Yes! Thank you so much!" I cheered.

She ignored my outburst, "To start off, you'll need to craft yourself an actual weapon to start training with." Misa said as she placed our weapons back on the rack, "Do you have any designs in mind? I recommend dual wielding. You have become rather proficient with the escrima sticks, though I would recommend something with more reach to make up for your relatively short arms."

I pouted, but conceded her point. I had noticed early on that my reach was rather limited even with the added length from the sticks. I had solved this problem by adjusting my fighting style accordingly, but it would still be good to have some more reach for my attacks.

Luckily, I had already thought up a solution to that problem, and several others I had yet to address, "I do actually have a design in mind. Several in fact." I told Misa.

She nodded in satisfaction, "Good, I am glad to see you preparing yourself even without my instruction. I will send you the address of the estate smith. You will have to craft the weapon yourself of course but he should be able to acquire whatever you need to-"

"Oh, I already have someone who can help me make it." I interrupted her. She froze, hands still in the air as she finished placing her staff in its place.

She turned to me, and I raised an eyebrow in confusion at the severe expression in her eyes, "What?" I asked.

Misa just stared at me, green eyes piercing into my own and I automatically straightened, "Rei…A Guardian's weapon is something sacred and not to be taken lightly. It is akin to a piece of us, a very intimate piece."

"It's just a tool though. What's so special about it?" I asked, only to recoil at the stern glare I received.

"It is not just a tool." Misa stated severely, "Every Guardian's weapon is an extension of themselves. To gaze at one's weapon is akin to glimpsing a sliver of their every being. There is virtually no limit to what you can glean when looking at one's weapon if you know what to look for."

"Pieces of yourself go into every aspect of your weapon's creation. Your personality flows into every strike of the hammer, every push of the bevels. Your soul is laid bare for anyone witnessing the creation of the tool you would call your own."

"Tell me Rei, do you trust this weaponsmith to be a part of something so important. To assist you in crafting what would amount to another limb on your body? Are you prepared to give this person insight into your very being?"

I swallowed reflexively at the question as I thought. Did I trust Ruby like that? Enough to let her help me make something so important to me. Something that I would be staking my life on to protect me in whatever situation transpired?

Of course I did. It wasn't even a question.

"I do." I nodded seriously, keeping my eyes trained on Misa's own, "I trust her. More than anyone."

Misa continued staring at me for another long moment, before she nodded in acceptance, "It's your choice. I only hope you won't come to regret it."

"I won't. I'm sure of that."

"Alright then." And that was that. We finished packing up, I bid her farewell, and began making my way home.

As I walked my way through the emptying streets of Vale, I could only wonder what Ruby's reaction to my request for her assistance would be. I could practically already hear the barely comprehensible sounds of her gushing about different alloy mixes or mechashift placements, talking about taking measurements and weapon types.

I couldn't wait to hear it in person.

Commissions are open

Last edited:
Poor Ruby Weiss was pretty bossy the first little while… even if she has a right to be concerned about her grade…

Chapter 7
"So what do you think my Lord?" Misa questioned her master as they made their way through the halls of his mansion, "Is she a suitable candidate?"

The man in question gave a quiet hum, cane tapping on the ground as he walked, lost in thought.

When Gerard had first been recommended to Rei Lynx, he had been more than a little leery.

A small-time thief with little more than home burglaries to her name, sent on a heist that most master thieves would turn their nose up at? It seemed like madness.

Roman Torchwick was no idiot however, the man's skill and professional integrity were well known throughout the entirety of Vale's underworld. A recommendation from him was not one to be taken lightly.

Gerard had decided to take a chance on the young lynx faunus. After all, what was the harm? If the she failed to steal the vial from the poorly guarded research facility, the absolute worst that would happen is that they would simply move it to one with more security. He would simply hire a better thief.

It had cost a pretty penny to get the girl on board, but even that much money was simply a drop in the bucket for someone like him. Especially if the young up-and-comer could actually produce results.

And he was not disappointed.

Roman had not been wrong in his assessment of the young faunus. Rei was certainly skilled in her chosen craft, in a way that few were. She carried herself with confidence that few possessed, and yet to her it seemed as easy as breathing.

From what little Misa had been able to glean from the footage she stole and erased, Rei Lynx was a prodigy of the highest degree. She moved swiftly and quietly, using simple tools and ingenuity to deal with any possible security she came across. Ball bearings and a slingshot, simple yet effective indeed.

In fact, if it weren't for that small hiccup at the end of her heist, Gerard would have thought he was dealing with a veteran aged in his craft, instead of a teenager just now nearing her adult years. The way she moved, utilizing her inherited traits to the fullest, was a sure sign of her potential.

And those goggles she possessed! A design of her own if she were to be believed, and indeed Gerard had been unable to find anything exactly like them outside of military research papers. It shocked him that the girl did not know the veritable gold mine she was sitting on, many would kill for a piece of gear as useful as that, and indeed they had before.

He supposed that it was for the best that she did not know how valuable her design was, he could not imagine what the likes of Ironwood would do with technology like that. Install it in his detestable robots no doubt. And if Gerard's theories were correct and, gods forbid, the man found out about the girl's semblance…

No, best not to think about it.

He had his theories about Rei's semblance, Borrow, he believed she called it, theories he had yet to test. Theories that all started with the vial she had acquired for him.

Gerard and his assistant came to a stop in the middle of the hallway, and he turned to face a painting on the wall. It was massive, the top of it reaching the ceiling and the bottom the floor, depicting a white haired man riding a horse, it was one of his most treasured pieces. And not just for its looks or value.

As his assistant stood dutifully behind him, Gerard raised his cane, eyes closed in concentration and soon the gem atop of it began to glow a bright blue.

The floor underneath them rumbled as hidden mechanisms were activated, centuries old gears turning slowly yet steadily. The painting shifted, rising ever so slightly off of the wall, before splitting in two in the middle, revealing a staircase that descended into darkness.

Gerard tapped his cane and a soft blue glow emanated from its gem, lighting the way as they began to descend down the stairs.

"I believe she is, Misa." He answered her as they walked downwards, " She is certainly competent in her craft, and while her combat skills may leave much to be desired, we both know that can be corrected with time."

"All things considered, she's taken to her training quite well." Misa commented, "While I have certainly had others who have learned faster, there are not many. She has already moved on to live weapons training." She paused, "Once she crafts her weapon I mean."

"And you said she declined the use of our estate smith? I cannot imagine Hawkins was very happy about that." He mused.

Misa laughed lightly, "No he was not. I practically had to hold him down to stop him from coming up from his forge to give her a piece of his mind."

Gerard shook his head in amusement, "That man does have his pride I suppose. Too much of it if you ask me. Still, whoever Rei has commissioned to craft her weapon must be very talented indeed if she declined the offer so quickly."

"I believe her smith to be a lover, or perhaps simply a partner. Perhaps they are talented, but I do not believe that is why Rei went to them instead." Misa frowned, "I hope she doesn't regret it, but I could tell she wouldn't be swayed."

"Ah, to be young again." He sighed wistfully as they came to a stop in front of a large stone door. He tapped his cane on the ground once more, and immediately the walk began to split apart, allowing them entrance further into the depths. They were nearly there.

As they began walking once more, Misa turned her gaze to her master, "Still, you actually haven't answered my question yet sir."

"Oh?"

"Do you think she is a suitable candidate?" Misa repeated.

Gerard was silent for a moment, the two of them stopping just in front of a mechanical door. He pressed on the keypad, entering a complex passcode, before placing his hand on its face. After a second or two, it beeped, recognizing him for who he was.

As they stepped inside, Misa turned to him, with a questioning glance, "Sir?"

"...I do." He finally answered as they stopped walking, "If what I felt was correct, and if what she said she felt from the vial is true, then there can only be one explanation. And if that is so, then I must guide her in her abilities."

"So you really believe she has magic?" Misa asked in awe, "But you said it was lost forever. I mean, outside of-"

"Misa!" Gerard gave her a sharp glance, firmly tapping his cane on the ground. She flinched as his sharp gaze pierced her, "We do not speak of them. Not here."

She bowed her head, "Sorry sir. I spoke out of turn. Please forgive me."

Gerard took a calming breath, lightly rapping his fingers against his cane, "It is fine Misa, just…remember what they took from me. From us. Remember why we do what we do."

Misa gave him a somber look, "Yes sir."

Gerard nodded, "Good. Now then, let's see to what we're here for." Misa gave a small nod and Gerard looked forward, gazing into the dark room they had arrived at, looking specifically in the center of said room.

Gerard gazed at the box with solemn resolution. He leaned his cane against the wall by the stairs, striding forward and extending his arm.

This was the moment of truth. There was no time for delay.

He concentrated his will, ignoring the sound of Misa moving into the room behind him as he focused. Soon enough, bands of purple light extended from his palm, wrapping around the large box before settling into place upon its surface. With a small gesture, several glyphs appeared around the box, all glowing the same purple and spinning with purpose.

Gerard sighed in discomfort as he felt a weight settle on his shoulders. If this had been mere decades ago, magic such as this would have been no mean feat, barely requiring a modicum of effort from one such as him. Alas, it seemed that that was the case no longer, and now the amount of effort expensed was immense.

Still, he couldn't give up, not when he was so close.

"The vial, Misa." Gerard held out his hand to the woman, not opening his eyes as a small click of a briefcase opening sounded out and the item was placed in his palm. Immediately, he could feel the magic inside of the small container begin to sing out to him and began harnessing it, guiding it alongside his own to suit his purpose.

The color of the vial shifted from blue to purple as Gerard exerted his will upon it, several more bands of light flowing up the arm holding the vial to the other, following the flow of his own magic into the box.

Sweat beaded on his brow and his face twisted into a grimace as he began molding the spell, his magic seeping into the runes inscribed upon the box and making them glow brightly.

"Sir! It-it's glowing!" Misa exclaimed in astonishment at what she was witnessing. The dim room was bathed in radiant purple light as the box glowed, indicating that Gerard's magic was doing something.

"Silence!" Gerard urged as his concentration began to waver. He reaffirmed his hold on the vial, grimacing as he felt just how depleted the magic inside had become in just few moments of channeling. The lights on the box dimmed slightly and he grunted, focusing his mind even harder to bring the lights back to normal.

It was all for naught however, and Gerard felt dismay as his hold on the spell began to waver, "No! No!" He shouted the glow dimming even further before beginning to flicker out, the glyphs disappearing and shrouding the room in darkness once more.

He attempted to re-engage the spell, purple streams of light once again reaching out to the box, but they flickered out before they even reached halfway.

"Dammit all!" He cursed as the room was shrouded in darkness once more. He was so close! He could feel the runes working! Could feel them accept the magic he had given them as they did as they were designed! And yet…

And yet it still didn't work. Just as it hadn't for the past sixty years.

"I'm sorry sir. I didn't mean to dustract you." Misa bowed apologetically.

Gerard shook his head with a sigh, "It wasn't your fault Misa. You simply sped up the inevitable." He looked down at the vial in his hand forlornly, noting its now colorless appearance before placing it in his coat pocket, "It seems it still wasn't enough."

He turned to walk back to his bodyguard, only to stumble as he was hit with a sudden wave of fatigue. He reached his arm out in an attempt to grab hold of something, and nearly sighed in relief as Misa appeared at his side, grabbing his arm to keep him from falling to the floor.

She looked at him with concern, reaching into a pocket and retrieving a small dust crystal, "Here sir. Take this." She handed it to him and he took it gratefully.

"Thank you Misa. It seems the process was more draining than I had imagined." He looked down at the crystal he had been handed. Red. Fire dust. It would do nicely.

He took a deep breath, before focusing his will on the crystal in his palm just as he had the vial moments before, only where before he had simply been refocusing the dust's energy, here he was taking it for his own.

Ever-so slowly, the chunk of dust lost its color, red fading to grey as the energy inside was absorbed by the man holding it. Gerard sighed as he felt his reserves of aura begin to refill, the heaviness in his limbs disappearing as he supplemented his own energy with the dust.

Soon enough, the crystal was completely depleted of its properties and Gerard stopped channeling his will into the now defunct rock. He rolled his shoulders in their sockets, feeling no small amount of relief as the stiffness failed to make itself known. He was back to normal for now.

He turned and handed it back to Misa who took it without a word, merely looking at him questioningly, "What happened sir? The box was glowing, that means it was working, wasn't it?"

Gerard simply nodded as he turned to retrieve his cane, "Indeed it was Misa, indeed it was. Unfortunately it seems that my theory was correct, despite my hoping it wasn't."

Misa frowned as she placed the depleted dust into a container simply marked 'Used', "It wasn't enough."

Gerard sighed, staring at the box with an unreadable expression, "No it wasn't. It seems that even the magic of the Winter Maiden isn't potent enough to undo the damage that was caused. We will need more if I am to succeed."

"So you're actually going through with it? Stealing the other vials?"

He nodded, "Indeed, if the other vials are similar to this one, then they may be the key to our plight. I had hoped that merely one would be enough for… No matter. We will simply get as many as is required."

"And you think she'll be able to do it?" Misa asked doubtfully, "This one was under an oddly light amount of protection. I doubt the others will be the same."

"Perhaps not. But with the proper guidance, I believe she will be more than up to the task. The fact that she succeeded in retrieving the first vial with her limited experience was a feat in and of itself." He spoke quietly as he stared at the now dimly glowing box, "I have no doubt that she is destined to do great things, and it is our duty to nurture her potential, no matter what it may be."

Truthfully, Gerard was running out of options quicker and quicker these days. Every time he believed he had a solution to his problem, life came round to dissuade him of that notion. Now it seemed he had no choice but to bet it all on black as it were.

He would need those other vials and Rei would be the one to steal them, hopefully providing him even more insight into her semblance in the process.

If his theories about the young faunus were correct, and she was indeed like him, then she could be the key to saving him from his plight. He simply must learn more about her semblance and how it functioned.

Gerard placed his hand on the box, closing his eyes mournfully. It was all he could do if he wished to keep his promise.

~~~

Next chapter is posted there if you would like to read it early: Sadguychet | Patreon.
Commissions Open

I'll place my bet on 'the box is a coffin holding Gerald's lover from the painting in stasis.' He seems the kind of man to act out of sentimentality, trying to bring her back or wake her up. My initial thought was control nexus for the magical doors, but the last line about a promise squashed that idea. It is amusing that Misa's guess about Rei's lover of a smith was right on the money.

Chapter 8
Ruby hummed happily as she skipped her way through Vale, a smile splitting her lips as she made her way to her destination. Behind her, her teammates gave her looks of varying amusement and exasperation as they struggled to keep up with her excited pace.

It was a little after midday in Vale, and team RWBY had been lucky enough to get a day free of afternoon classes so they had practically the entire day free to themselves. Ruby had taken it upon herself to make it a team bonding trip to the city. More specifically, a team trip to a little bakery Ruby loved to eat at more than anything.

She hadn't shared exactly where they were going, and it had taken a bit of begging and promising to do her homework to get Blake and Weiss to come along, but she had managed it. What a great team leader she was!

Ruby had a feeling Yang knew exactly where they were going thanks to the looks her sister was giving her, but Ruby studiously ignored her. She wouldn't fall victim to the blonde's teasing.

"Ruby, can we please slow down a bit?" Weiss spoke up with a haggard expression, "I'm wearing heels, and you haven't slowed down since we got off of the bullhead. I'm not made for this kind of exertion!"

As Ruby turned back to apologize to her partner, Yang spoke up, wrapping an arm around Weiss's shoulder, "Oh come on Weiss-cream, you and I both know that's not true. I've seen the way you dance around during our spars, you're probably the most nimble one out of us all!"

Weiss gave the blonde an annoyed look, ducking out from under her arm, "Fighting and walking are two completely different things you blonde brute." She huffed, patting off her shoulders which Ruby thought was weird since she knew Yang took a shower earlier, "And besides, I have different sets of heels for fighting and walking."

"Really?" Blake said doubtfully, "But they all look the same." She pointed out.

"That's intentional. The construction of the actual shoes are very different. Some are made for walking, some for running, and some for fighting. I am currently wearing the walking ones."

"How can you tell which is which?" Ruby asked curiously as she walked around a lamppost.

"They have labels on the sole." Weiss explained, "It's not hard to figure which is which if you know what you're looking for."

"Why don't you wear, I don't know, normal shoes?" Yang asked the heiress, "Even Blake doesn't wear her heels all the time."

Blake gave partner an annoyed look, "They're not heels Yang."

Yang's eyes widened and her face morphed into a confused expression that they all knew was completely fake, "What? But-but they have heels!" She exclaimed. She looked to Ruby, "Sis, back me up here! They're totally heels right?"

Ruby giggled at her sister's antics, deciding to play along, "Sure Yang. They're heels."

"Philistines." Weiss huffed, and that set them all laughing. Ruby grinned happily as she noticed that even Weiss had a small smile on her face. She was glad the cold girl was warming up to them, Weiss was surprisingly witty when you got her talking.

"We're here!" Ruby shouted happily as they reached their destination, "The best bakery in all of Vale!"

"Lynx Bakery?" Weiss said dubiously as she took in the glass storefront, "I've never heard of that company before."

"Oh it's not a company." Ruby said simply as she bounced her way to the front entrance, turning back to her team, "It's owned and run by Rei. She inherited it from her grandfather." She explained and Weiss gave an interested hum.

"Hey Rubes, why's this place so empty?" Yang asked as she looked inside of the bakery curiously, "I've had some of her stuff before and it's really good. People should be lining up out the door!"

Ruby turned to look inside, frowning as she noticed only four people were seated at the various tables inside. Rei said she was having trouble getting customers, but she didn't think it was this bad. Ruby normally tried to come around closing time so she would have more time to talk with the Faunus, but if this was what it was like on a normal day…

Well, Rei said her second job was paying well. Hopefully it would be enough to keep the bakery running as well. She wouldn't want to see her best friend and crush lose her home.

Before Ruby got the chance to answer her sister's question, Blake did it for her.

Her black-haired teammate pointed to a specific part of the glass storefront, "That's probably why." She said, the rest of the team looked where she was pointing curiously, and came face-to-face with a poster that read Faunus Welcome.

Yang made an 'ah' noise and let out an angry huff, while Weiss made a noise of confusion.

"So she lets Faunus patronize her store, what's the big deal?" The heiress asked in confusion.

Blake scowled lightly, as she stared at the sign, and Ruby's eyes were drawn to her bow. Did it move? "It's because of the part of Vale that we're in. Most people don't around here don't even let Faunus step foot on their property, so a store with a sign like that isn't going to get many customers." She explained, and Ruby could hear the anger in her voice and wondered if the black-haired girl had Faunus friends too.

"Why not? Won't the Faunus around here just come instead?" Weiss asked.

Blake just shook her head, "Faunus stay away from this part of the city. It probably isn't worth getting slurs yelled at you just to go to a bakery, so I can't imagine many of them come around that often."

Ruby wondered how Blake knew so much about this sort of stuff. The only reason she knew is because Rei often complained that she wished more Faunus would come to her bakery. Maybe Blake had Faunus friends? Ruby would like to meet them if that was the case. Good team leaders took an interest in their team's lives.

Either way, they had stayed outside of the shop for too long in Ruby's opinion. She wanted to see Rei!

"Come on! Let's go find a seat!" Ruby called out to her team as she opened the doors. The familiar sound of the bell rang out as they entered, and Ruby inhaled happily, taking in the smell of fresh-baked treats that she loved so much.

The look of contentment morphed into a smile as Rei's voice called from the back.

"Welcome to the Lynx Bakery! Go ahead and seat yourself, I'll be with you in just a moment!" Rei called out to them.

Ruby happily made her way to the nearest booth, her team following behind as they looked around the bakery curiously. Wanting a spot at the edge, she let Yang get in the booth first before following behind her, grabbing one of the menus from the holder and looking it over eagerly.

Weiss let out a small noise of pleasant surprise across from her, "These prices are much better than most places I've been to. Twelve lien for a platter of sampler cookies is more than reasonable." she commented.

Ruby hummed as she scrutinized the text on the laminated sheet, "Rei said her grandfather would kill her if she ever tried to price gouge people. I believe it too, he was scary."

"Isn't he dead?" Yang asked hesitantly.

"Yep. I don't think that would stop him though."

"Ah."

They fell into a comfortable silence that was only slightly broken by the other patrons of the bakery, and Ruby's mouth watered as she stared at the menu, taking in the wide variety of delicious treats she could choose from.

It took excruciating effort, but eventually she decided on the same cookies Rei had made for her before she left for Beacon: dark chocolate peanut butter with caramel drizzle. And a large glass of milk of course. Can't have cookies without milk.

Ruby placed her menu on the table with the rest of her teams, bouncing in her seat as she eagerly awaited her friend's arrival from the back of the bakery.

She didn't have to wait long luckily, as only a minute or so later, the Faunus strolled out.

Reis was wearing her signature blue jacket, and a soft smile was on her face as she wiped her hand with a rag, cleaning it of flour or baking powder, Ruby couldn't be sure. All she knew was that her best friend was just a few feet away, and she hadn't seen her in person in at least a week.

So of course she wasn't just going to sit there and wait for the girl to notice her.

"Reeeiiii!"

~~~

"Reeeiiii!" Yang shook her head fondly at Ruby as she bolted from the booth, crashing into the surprised Faunus who just barely managed to not fall over.

"Ruby!" Rei smiled in pleasant surprise, "You didn't tell me you were coming!"

Ruby just smiled as she looked up at the slightly taller girl, "I wanted it to be a surprise!"

Rei gave her a fond look as she hugged the girl back just as eagerly, "Well I'm certainly surprised, mission accomplished I suppose."

Ruby gave a soft 'heh' as she buried her face into the girl's jacket happily.

Back at the table, the rest of Ruby's team stared at the two with varying expressions.

"So that's Rei is it?" Weiss said quietly as she observed the two girls, "She seems… nice."

"She's a Faunus." Blake said in surprise as she took in the girl that Ruby was still embracing. Dang Rubes, make it a little less obvious will ya?

Yang and even Weiss gave her an odd look at her words, "Dude, the place is literally called Lynx Bakery, and you're the one who pointed out the sign on the door."

Blake blushed lightly, "I thought she might have just been a sympathizer or something. Ruby didn't say anything about her being a Faunus…" She muttered as the two girls started conversing animatedly, Ruby no doubt telling the girl about their recent adventures as Rei looked on with a fond smile.

Yang just shrugged, "Rei's just Rei to Ruby. They've been friends for as long as I can remember, I doubt she even notices the looks they get when they hang out together. Rei definitely notices, but I don't think she cares."

"Though that certainly explains why people don't come here." Weiss commented as she eyed the happily chatting Lynx Faunus up and down, "If the people around here are as racist as you say they are, I don't imagine they'd be likely to patronize an establishment owned and run by a Faunus."

"No…" Black muttered as the hugging girls made their way over to the booth, "No they wouldn't."

Yang turned her attention back to her sister as she arrived. She gave them all a wide smile, gesturing towards the grinning Faunus at herbside, "Team RWBY, This is my best friend, Rei Lynx. Rei, this is my team!"

Rein gave them all a wave, "It's nice to meet the people who are gonna have Ruby's back out there. I'm glad to see she's got a good team of people around her."

She then turned to Yang, giving her a short nod, recognizing her, "Yang, How are you?"

Yang grinned, "Oh you know, I'm Yangin in there."

As the rest of the team groaned at her pun, Rei gave her a chuckle, "Yeah. That sounds about right."

She turned to Weiss, "And this must be your partner. Weiss right?"

The heiress gave her a polite nod, "That's right. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Rei gave her a grin, "I hear you've actually managed to get Ruby to study. Not an easy feat to get this girl to stay still for more than five minutes," She nudged Ruby's shoulder lightly.

Weiss gave a startled laugh, putting a hand in front of her mouth, "Yes, it's certainly been an adventure to say the least."

Rei snorted, "I can imagine."

"Reeiii! Don't embarrass me in front of my team!" Ruby whined, slapping the grinning Faunus on the shoulder.

"Sorry Ruby, no can do." Rei laughed as she wethered the smaller girl's assault. She wound an arm around Ruby's shoulder, pulling her into a one-armed, "Our friendship is built on the back of teasing remarks and flustered redheads. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is. It's too late to change it now."

Yang grinned as Ruby's face flushed a bright red at the Faunus' close contact, avoiding Rei's eyes as she let go to address her team once more.

Rei paused as she got to Blake, and Yang noticed her eyes widened minutely as they took in her partner, "...And this must be Blake. Yang's partner." She said after a moment. Blake didn't say anything, just giving her a nod and Yang frowned. Did her partner not like Rei?

Before she could wonder any more about her partner's odd behavior, Rei cleared her throat, pulling a small notebook out of her jacket pocket, "Well then, judging by the menus in your hands I imagine this isn't just a social visit. I'll go ahead and take your orders if that's alright with you." Her statement was punctuated by the click of a pen as she stared at them all expectantly.

Yang broke out of her stupor, putting the weird interaction out of her mind as she looked down at the menu again, "Oh, yeah. I'll have a-…"

Rei nodded as she took their orders, scribbling quickly in her notebook as she went around the table.

"Alright." Rei finished writing in her notebook, stowing the pen in her pocket, "I'll go grab your orders, most of the stuff you asked for is a simple ask. I'll be back in just a moment. Oh, and Ruby," She gave the girl a glance, "I need to talk to you about something when I get back. It's important."

"Oh!" Ruby looked surprised, "Yeah, ok."

Rei gave her a wink before making her way back into the rear of the bakery to prepare their orders, leaving them all in silence.

"Sooooo…" Yang broke it, drawing curious looks from her team as she looked at her sister, "You think she's gonna ask you out?"

Yang was pretty sure that her sister would have choked if she was drinking anything. As it was, her jaw dropped open and a bright red blush bloomed on her face.

"Wha-buh-I-YANG!" Ruby stuttered furiously at her sister's question, and Yang let out a loud laugh, "I don't even know if she likes me like that! She could just be teasing me!"

Across the table, Weiss scoffed, an odd sound for the heiress to make, "Please Ruby, she's all over you. Well, actually I take that back," She amended, "You're both all over each other. It's actually rather sweet."

Yang gave the heiress a teasing grin, "Oh? Is our little Weiss a romantic? I never pegged you as the type."

Weiss flushed, glancing away, "I'm allowed to have hobbies." She muttered.

"...You really think so?" Ruby asked quietly.

Yang gave her a look, "I don't think she could make it more obvious if she tried sis." She looked to the others for confirmation, and received agreeing nods in return, "I say go for it. She's clearly into you just as much as you are into her. What's the worst that could happen?"

Ruby was saved from having to respond as the subject of conversation returned, only a few minutes after she left.

"Alright you guys, I've got your orders ready!" Rei greeted them as she strolled up, a small cart pulled behind her with various treats stacked atop it on a platter. She pulled the cart in front of the table, and began removing the items from it, placing them in front of their respective consumers, "Sampler Platter for Weiss, strawberry shortcake for Yang, caramel fudge brownies for Blake, and of course, cookies and a pitcher of milk for my favorite redhead." The team grinned as Ruby's face flushed once more, "Enjoy!"

The table was once more bathed in a comfortable silence as the team enjoyed their respective foods. Yang sighed happily as she took a bite of her strawberry shortcake, the sweet fruit and spongy cake sending her tastebuds to heaven. Rei was a really good baker.

Now she had to get her to date Ruby. There was no way the blonde was going to pass up the chance to have these treats any time she wanted.

"So what did you want to ask me Rei?" Ruby spoke up to her friend in between bites of cookie. Rei blinked in surprise as she placed the platter back onto the cart, clearly not expecting the question.

"Oh uh," She fidgeted slightly as they all looked at her curiously, ears twitching on the top of her head, "My uh other job is getting a bit dangerous. So I was gonna ask for your help with something." Rei said quietly and Yang's brow scrunched in confusion as she munched on her treat. Other job? What was she talking about?

Ruby apparently knew, as her sister let out a worried gasp, "Are you okay!? Did you get hurt!? Oh! Weiss usually has some bandages with her if you need som-"

Rei held her hands up at Ruby's onslaught of words, "Woah woah Ruby! It's nothing like that!' She put her hands on the girl's shoulders, keeping her in place as she practically vibrated with worry, "Nothing bad has happened yet."

Yang looked at her curiously, "Yet? What do you mean? You're not a huntress right?" From what Yang had heard, Rei hated fighting. Hell, apart from the gun she sometimes kept on her, she was pretty sure the girl didn't even have a weapon. She couldn't see Rei willingly seeking out Grimm if she could avoid it.

Rei made an 'eh' noise, "No, I'm more like… hired muscle I suppose. My employer is paying me some good money to take care of things for him, and unfortunately I'll have to defend myself to do it. From Grimm or people."

"But you don't have any combat training." Ruby said in concern, "You're pretty good with Trick, but any first year at Beacon could beat you in a fight pretty easily!" She winced as she realized how that sounded, "No offense."

Rei just shook her head, "No no, you're absolutely right. I'm really bad at fighting. The thing is, my employer actually hooked me up with a combat tutor. I'm nowhere near your guys' level, but I could probably hold my own against a random thug or three. Especially with my Semblance."

Huh. That was interesting. Yang wondered what kind of employer the Faunus had if they were willing to pay for a private tutor instead of just sending her to a combat school.

Her mind locked onto the other thing the girl had said, "Wait, you have your Semblance unlocked? What's it do?" Yang asked curiously. She knew from Ruby's numerous stories that the girl had her aura unlocked, but she didn't know that she had a Semblance as well.

'There are a few people in Beacon who didn't have their Semblance unlocked yet' Yang thought to herself, thinking of a certain blonde team leader, 'Wonder how she got hers…'

Rei hummed in response to her question, before leaning forward and locking eyes with Yang. She held out her hand to the blonde, "Can I use it on you? It won't hurt, but it'll probably feel uncomfortable."

Yang looked to Ruby, finding her watching the proceedings in interest, and shrugged, "Sure, why not? Better not mess with my hair though." She placed her hand in Rei's own.

In front of the rapt attention of Team RWBY, Rei's irises shifted from their usual blue color, to a brilliant gold. Yang's eyes widened as a sudden and acute feeling of loss came over her, like something extremely important was taken from her suddenly, leaving a hole deep within.

"Sorry, I've heard that sucks." The Faunus began, giving Yang a look of apology as she withdrew her hand, "My Semblance is called Borrow. Basically, as long as someone is within a certain range of me, I can temporarily steal their Semblance for myself. It lasts longer if they give it to me willingly, but I can just take it if I need to. Can't keep it forever no matter what though, it always goes back to the original owner."

"Can you just keep taking it when they get it back?" Ruby asked in interest, and Yang nearly snorted as she noticed that her sister hadn't stopped staring at the Faunus' eyes the entire time.

Rei seemingly didn't notice, shaking her head in response to the question, "No, I can't steal someone's Semblance twice in a row. I have to 'renew' the charge by stealing another Semblance, or wait around an hour."

She gave Yang a glance, and the blonde noticed there was a bit of sweat on her forehead, "By the way Yang, how do you live like this? The room just shot up like fifteen degrees the second I took Burn."

"I'm used to the heat." Yang shrugged as she flexed her fingers, feeling just slightly off. Which made sense considering her sister's crush had basically just stolen a piece of her actual soul, "You mind giving it back? This feels weird."

Rei's eyes changed again, gold fading back to its usual blue, and Yang sighed in relief as her soul was put back in one piece. She stretched happily, cracking her knuckles over her head, "Oh yeah, that feels better."

"So if that wasn't it, what was your question?" Ruby asked her friend curiously, polishing off her glass of milk and sitting it back on the table.

Rei took a visible breath, blue eyes becoming serious as she stared into Ruby's silver orbs, "Ruby," She began lowly, and Yang leaned forward in interest, wondering what kind of request could make the normally laidback Faunus act so serious, "I want you to help me smith a weapon."

Oh. Oh no.

Yang quickly placed her hands over her ears as she noticed Ruby's eyes widen and her jaw pop open. Her other teammates gave her weird looks, raising their eyebrows at her actions, and Yang just gave them a look of sympathy as the keening in the back of her sister's throat grew steadily louder, quickly becoming slightly uncomfortable to the others at the table and then those beyond.

Yang wondered how long it would take for her weapon-manic sister to calm down this time.

Next chapter is posted there if you would like to read it early: Sadguychet | Patreon.
Commissions Open

Aww, Ruby and Rei are an adorable couple.
She's gonna go soooo overboard lol.
Thanks for the chapter!!

This is actually great. I was getting tired of SIs or OCs immediately going for the beacon route and going the same route as canon does with barely any changes. Also plus points for the OC not being overpowered. I also hope you flesh out the world more, god knows barely any fic does that.

I look forward to more chapters author! Watched.

Ooh, I am enjoying this a ton. I do find it weird that she was like "Ah I guess I can't tell Ruby about the details of my heists then" when told about the NDA on the special magic Dust. Is... she expecting Ruby to just be fine about her being a thief? Aren't Huntresses literally law enforcement??

Curious about how Ruby will react when she eventually finds out. She's definitely been... misleading her on the matter, which might lead to her feeling pretty betrayed even in addition to the whole "the person I'm dating is a criminal" thing (presuming one of them has taken the leap by then).

It could also be a dent in Ruby's (potential?) idealism though, at this point in her development. Ruby feels like the kind to be pretty deeply struck by "this person I really care about is stealing... but she's doing it to make ends meet (which she's having to do because she's a faunus, realistically)" and it could shake any "criminals are doing bad things because they're bad people" biases she has.

Definitely watched.

Chapter 8 New
Apparently, Beacon's forge was open for use by just about anyone. It was a little known fact, not technically advertised, but it was true. So long as you paid a rather large fee and personally knew someone in the school itself, their facility was opened to you.

Money wasn't really an issue for me any more, and I was much more than a mere acquaintance with a certain silver-eyes student, so it was easy to get in.

Unlike most other places within Vale, the forge in Beacon was state of the art. It was nothing like the tiny forge I had used to make Trick, and I found myself looking around curiously, a little out of my element as I took in the various tools and machines that were strewn across the room itself.

There were a few students currently using the facility, hammers clanging against steel and fires being stoked as they worked at their latest projects, armor plates and weapons strewn about as they worked on their internals and externals.

A few of them gave Ruby and I curious glances as we passed, clearly recognising the silver-eyed girl but not the Faunus who was following behind her like a lost puppy. I gave them a shallow nod, adjusting the strap of my bag as I did so and that was seemingly enough for them to decide I was uninteresting as they all immediately turned back to what they were working on.

"Here we are!" Ruby said happily as I turned my attention back forward. She gestured at the small alcove she had stopped in front of with a happy grin, "My little piece of paradise!"

I looked around the area curiously. Apparently Ruby was in the forge often enough that an entire area had been completely dedicated for her own personal use which honestly made complete sense. Bright red pieces of metal that I could recognize would fit Crescent Rose lay scattered across a large desk in various states of repair. Several tools ranging from wrenches to welding torches were hung on the wall just behind the desk, easily in reach and ready for use.

There was a rather large furnace off to the side, coals inside of it dim with the lack of heat running through

And to wrap it all up in a way that was decidedly Ruby, there was a large poster of a Beowolf eating a cookie hanging just beside the tools. I had always found it a bit odd how we had a tendency to cutify the literal genocidal monsters that threatened to plague humanity's very existence, but I suppose there was something to be said about coping mechanisms and all that

I giggled as I sat my bag down on the floor, "Nice decor Ruby. Really livens the place up."

Ruby saw where I was looking and blushed brightly, "That's not mine! S-someone must have put it up there to prank me! Or something…"

I raised a brow, "Oh? The cookie and dog loving Ruby Rose had nothing to do with it?"

"A-anyway." Ruby quickly moved on from the subject, "We should have most of what we need to make your weapon in the forge. Materials are free to use for any student as long as they aren't purposefully wasteful, so we've got quite a bit to choose from."

I decided not to tease her further, instead looking around at the stack of ingot and various other tools, "Looks like we have a good amount of stuff. Will this be enough you think?" I asked curiously.

Ruby hummed, studying the area, "Maybe." She finally decided, "We'll likely have to go through at least two or three prototypes depending on your designs, but the forge gets a new shipment of materials every friday based on what was used during the prior week. We should be good to go."

I nodded, "That's good. If we need anything that we don't have, I can make a quick run down to Vale to get it."

"So how long were you able to rent access for?" Ruby asked curiously as she pressed a small button on the side of the furnace. The coals inside began to glow orange immediately as they rapidly warmed up, and I winced at the wave of sweltering heat that immediately soaked into my jacket.

"My job pays really well so I was able to pay for a month's worth of time." I said as I set my bag down in a corner, far away from the furnace of course, "We should be able to get it done by then right?"

"Yep." She popped the 'p', before looking at me curiously, "Hey Rei?"

"Hmm?"

"What is your job?"

I froze as the question registered in my ears. I had been hoping to put this conversation off for a little while longer, not really sure how to go about telling Ruby of my, well it wasn't really a hobby anymore was it? I knew Ruby wasn't likely to hate me for something as trivial as theft (Even the grand heists I was probably going to have to pull in the future) but it was still going to be a difficult task to tell her that her best friend had plans to be a master thief.

I wanted to tell her. Oh how I wanted to. I often found myself staring at her during our hangout sessions, words on the tip of my tongue in preparation to spill everything to the only person who was likely to understand.

But I couldn't. One of the only conditions of mine and Gerard's contract was that I wasn't allowed to tell anyone what I was doing. I wasn't willing to break a promise to the man who had practically saved me from destitution, but I was just as unwilling to keep lying to my friend's face like I had been. It was a bit of an impossible situation.

But maybe it didn't have to be. Gerard had specifically stated that I wasn't allowed to tell anyone he didn't approve of about the exact details of my employment. Anyone he didn't approve, that was the important part. If I could convince him, he could simply add Ruby to that list of approved people, allowing me to tell her everything.

Surely Gerard would understand, right? Ruby was my best friend, even if what I was doing was technically illegal, I wasn't hurting anybody, didn't have plans to hurt anybody, she would understand. But until I got his explicit permission, I would have to keep her in the dark.

'Just for a little while.' I promised myself, 'Only a little while longer.'

"I can't tell you." I said finally and watched as Ruby's face fell slightly. I hastened to explain, "I mean I can't tell you yet. There's something I have to do first."

Ruby tilted her head, confusion clear in her eyes which was much better than the tinge of sadness that was there just moments ago, "What do you mean?"

I sighed, turning back to my bag, "My employer has specifically told me that I'm not allowed to tell anyone what I'm doing without his permission." I explained as I began pulling things out of my bag in search of something specific, "It was one of the only rules he had for me when he hired me on and it's in the contract I signed. You're my best friend Ruby, but I can't tell you just yet."

It sucked, and I could tell Ruby wasn't happy about it by the way the edges of her mouth curled down slightly, but she nodded anyway, "Alright. Just promise you'll tell me if it gets too dangerous. I don't want you to get hurt." Her face was set into a serious expression, and I knew she wasn't going to let this one go.

"Deal." I said. I would talk to Gerard next time we spoke and do my best to convince him. I didn't like hiding things from Ruby.

I finally found what I was looking for, pulling a notebook from my back and holding it out for her to take, "Here. I had a feeling something like this would happen so I started making designs a while ago. These are the final drafts." I handed it to her and she hummed curiously as she opened it up.

Ruby was silent as she flipped through my notebook, and I felt a tinge of nervousness prickle the back of my neck. I was the furthest thing there was from a mechanic, much less a weaponsmith, and I had no way of knowing whether or not my designs were even possible. There was a not so small possibility that Ruby would just laugh in my face at my ideas.

'No, that's silly.' I shook my head as Ruby studied my designs, 'It's Ruby, she wouldn't do that. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body.'

That didn't help the nervousness that continued to build as she flipped through my notebook, silver eyes darting along the pages as she took in my illustrations.

"It's gonna be tricky to get all of the mechanisms working without interfering with each other." Ruby finally spoke, sounding more like she was talking to herself than me as she continued scanning the papers, "The dust chamber specifically would need to be reinforced to handle the stress you're planning to put it through, and that would severely impact its mechashift abilities. Though that could be fixed if we- No. No that wouldn't work, that would increase its weight to the point that the shifting nodes wouldn't even be able to rotate. Maybe…"

She continued muttering to herself as she flipped through the notebook, and I let out a sigh of relief as she didn't dismiss my ideas straight away. It would have really sucked to have come all the way down here only to learn that I would have to start from scratch.

"So it's possible?" I asked the muttering girl. Silver eyes blinked in surprise as she turned to me, seemingly having forgotten I was there. I smiled in amusement as her face flushed red in mild embarrassment.

"Oh, um, yeah it's possible." She said as she placed the notebook onto the workbench, "Just tricky. Some of your ideas are sound in writing but actually putting them into action will be a bit difficult."

I frowned at that, "I can change it up a bit if that would help." I offered, "There's a few features in there that I don't completely need."

She surprised me by shaking her head with a grin, "Nope! The tricky parts are what make it fun! It's super boring working with analogue stuff and your designs are pretty complex. It's pretty cool that you were able to think of something like this without going to an academy for it." She praised.

I could feel a blush warming my cheeks as I rubbed the back of my head, "I just tried to imagine what would be useful in a fight. It's nothing really."

She shook her head, "Some of the second-years here don't have a weapon this complex. You clearly put a lot of thought into your fighting style and saw what you were lacking and figured out how to fix it. That shows a level of introspection that some veteran Huntsmen don't even have!" She insisted.

If my face got any redder I was pretty sure I was going to pass out. Somehow I had forgotten how passionate Ruby got about this sort of stuff. It was odd to hear her so seriously praising something I had created that wasn't just baked treats, and it sent my heart beating slightly faster.

Ruby placed the notebook back on the table, turning to me with a bright smile. "Alright! Let's get started! I'm going to go grab some stuff we need, you start stacking ingots by the forge so we don't have to keep walking back and forth." She ordered.

I grinned at the sight of her taking charge, and gave her a mock salute, "You got it boss!"

~~~

It was a little over two weeks later, and Ruby and I had run into a bit of a roadblock with the prototypes. Namely, the fact that they kept exploding on us. The first time it had happened had been a surprise, the second had been an annoyance, and the third had been mildly infuriating.

We had decided to put the work on halt while we figured out exactly what was causing the problem, going over notes and the mangled wrecks of the prototypes to find the cause. We'd had little success, and eventually decided to call it a day.

That had been yesterday, and I looked around as I entered the forge once more, noting that it was completely empty, which made sense considering how early it was. It seemed that everyone had better things to do than work on their project at seven in the morning. Well, everyone except me and Ruby. I grinned as I walked toward the noise of metal slamming against metal, making my way to the alcove that my best friend had made her own.

I rounded the corner, Ruby's name on my lips, only to stop as I took in the redhead, brow furrowed in concentration as she worked…

In a sports-bra.

She was hammering a glowing hot piece of metal, shaping it with purpose, before sliding it back into the flames of the furnace. My eyes were drawn to the drops of sweat dripping from her hair, the wisps of silky black stuck to the skin of her forehead which practically steamed in the intense heat of the forge, before my gaze fell lower.

I swallowed lightly as I took in the surprisingly toned muscles in her arms as she retrieved the metal, hammering it once more on the table. The burning furnace cast a beautiful glow on her pale skin, light shimmering along the thin layer of sweat that had built up during her work, and my mouth dried as I imagined running my tongue along the length of her biceps, the salty taste of sweat covering my tastebuds as I-

I shook my head, 'Down girl! That's Ruby you're thinking about, your best friend! She's not just some piece of meat for you to ogle! Cool it!'

I took a deep breath to calm my raging hormones, before taking another, more analyzing look at my friend. Unlike usual, her face was scrunched into an expression of mild frustration as she removed the metal from the furnace again, placing it back onto the workbench as she began shaping it once more. Each ring of her hammer upon the molten surface was louder than the last as she put more force into her strikes, before something eventually gave, and the next strike of her hammer was upon the table itself.

She stared at the twisted and bent metal in her tongs for a moment, before letting out a loud groan, "Ugh! Not again! I thought I had it that time!"

"Everything okay Ruby?" I made my presence known as I began picking up the scatter bits of scrap metal, placing them into a pile. They weren't hot, but it still wouldn't have been right to just leave them lying around like that.

Ruby's head shot over to me, surprise evident in her eyes, "Oh, Rei! I didn't know you were here."

I chuckled, "I don't think you would have noticed if the headmaster himself walked through the door Ruby. You were really focused over there." I gave her a concerned look, "What's got you so worked up this early? You figure out what was causing the malfunctions?"

Ruby groaned as she took the metal into her tongs again, "Ugh, yes… The issue is that the alloy mixes we have here at Beacon aren't sturdy enough to properly reinforce the dust chamber for your right sword. That's why all of our prototypes have been exploding on us. The casing is compromised immediately after firing." She explained as she carefully submerged the metal into the quenching solution with a hiss of steam, leaving it there to cool, "I've been trying different mixes to try to find one that's good enough."

Here, she grimaced, "But none of the metal we have on hand is pure enough to mix properly so it just keeps coming out even more brittle than before. I've gone through I don't know how many attempts and I'm about to lose my mind!"

So that's what it was. I'll admit, I had somewhat foreseen this when I had made my designs. I had based the dust chamber on the one within Trick so I knew it could be done, but Trick was just a gun, not an mechashift weapon which was a bigger difference than it sounded. Every component of a mechashift weapon needed to be carefully balanced or catastrophic failure was all but guaranteed.

Still, now that I knew what the problem was, I might have had a solution. My mind went back to something Misa had told me she often did during our training, infusing her aura into her weapon during our spars to increase its durability.

"Well," I began hesitantly as I finished stacking the discarded failures into a pile, "I might have an idea. But I'm not a blacksmith, I honestly don't even know if it's possible in the way I'm imaging."
Ruby just gave me a tired look, "It can't be any stupider than trying to use a quenching solution made from melon juice to strengthen the metal." She grumbled as she wiped her hands off with a rag, quickly transitioning to cleaning her neck of sweat.

I snorted, carefully keeping my eyes to myself and not on the bead of sweat making its way down her abdomen, "Melon juice?"

"I was tired. Melon juice has iron in it. It seemed like a good idea at the time." Was her explanation, and I shook my head as I shucked off my jacket, placing it on a table off to the side and leaving me in just a black T-shirt.

"Right, we're taking a break tomorrow. You've been working your tail off and I'm starting to feel bad. I'll treat you to that ice cream place you love so much as a thank you." I decided.

Ruby gave a small pout, clearly not wanting to go with my idea, but the mention of ice cream swayed her decision. "Yeah, okay. That sounds nice." She smiled lightly, looking up at me as I walked up beside her, setting a bottle of water from my bag beside her "So what was your idea?" She asked as she opened it gratefully.

I hummed, taking in the numerous ingots still in the furnace. They weren't nearly as hot as the one Ruby had been working on, a dull orange instead of cherry-red, but that might actually work in our favor.

"Well…" I spoke slowly as I took in the ingots, "Why don't we try infusing our aura's into the metal while we work on it? From what little I remember from school, aura infusion on an inanimate object isn't nearly as hard as on another person right? If it takes, it should strengthen the metal while keeping it around the same weight. We wouldn't need to change the alloy at all."

Ruby froze, water bottle halfway to her lips as she took in my words. I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly, "Like I said, I don't even know if its possible but it seemed like a good idea in my head-"

I was surprised as a pair of arms was suddenly wrapped around my back and I was pulled into a hug, "Rei, you're a genius!"

I blinked, "I am?" I said as my arms hesitantly came down around her, my shaky hands resting against the bare skin of her back. As she spoke excitedly.

"You are! I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! Aura infusion isn't easy because of how much of a strain it puts on your body so most people don't do it, but as long as we do it together there shouldn't be any issue! If we switch off every few cycles, the strain will be reduced but not only that, it should also increase the durability of the metal several times what it would have been if I we did it alone. OOH! I"ve got the perfect metal in mind, it's super conductive. Wait right here!"

She zoomed away, leaving me standing there dumbfounded with my arms outstretched , rose petals fluttering between my now-empty arms. I slowly lowered them back to my sides, staring straight forward as I tried to come to terms with what had just happened. I guess that break would have to wait.

…She was really warm.

~~~

It was a struggle. Creating a weapon as complicated as I had designed was no easy task even for someone as gifted as Ruby, even after my solution to our problem. The internal mechanisms needed to be just the right size and shape, the metal on the outside needed to be just the right shape or it would all fall apart spectacularly and that wasn't even mentioning the science of the mechashift itself. Even by the time we were finished, I still couldn't wrap my head around it.

It was a given that I wouldn't be able to help much in the actual crafting of the weapon. Oh sure, I could work the forge just fine and hammer metal with the best of them, but the actual cutting and welding and soldering was done by Ruby. In the later stages,

I certainly didn't mind. It was really something else to watch the redhead work at something she was so very passionate about, and every time her silver eyes lit up with excitement as another component clicked into place, my own chest buzzed with something just as powerful. Something that left me staring at her, breathless as blood pulsed in my ears with the beats of my heart.

Gods. I really was smitten, wasn't I?

And finally, after nearly the entire month of time allotted to us was consumed, it was done. With one final click, the last component slid into place like a puzzle piece, and our labor was complete. A weapon, forged by our shared hands and auras lay on the workbench, dim light glinting off the newly polished metal.

Ruby's scream of happiness nearly got us kicked out, but the look on her face and resulting hug would have been more than worth it.

~~~

While Beacon's forge was open for use to just about anyone, their training facilities were certainly not. They were student-only and any outsiders caught inside could get in serious trouble for it, as well as any student helping them.

Of course, that wasn't going to stop Ruby who really wanted to do a live testing with my newly made weapon, nor me who had a habit of sneaking into places I wasn't wanted. It was a simple task to navigate to the room using Ruby's student map, sneaking through the empty halls to meet her in the training facility.

And what a facility it was. A room specifically for weight lifting, one containing a large circular ring specifically for running, and even a swimming pool the size of a baseball field. It was insane. And that wasn't even getting into the battle facility.

See, in order to keep the death counts low from students venturing into the wild to look for Grimm to test their weapons on, Beacon had opted for a more… simple solution, if you could call it that.

Holograms. Tangible holograms of Grimm that would attack the student based on the setting they had been put on, shutting off when their aura was depleted or all the Grimm were dead. I didn't even know that that sort of stuff was possible but I suppose that's why Beacon was the best Academy in most people's eyes. I was certainly all too happy to utilize the facility for myself.

My weapons fit perfectly in my hands, like they had been there all along. And as I sliced my way through fake Grimm, I couldn't be more happier with the results of our work.

Even before Misa had advised me, I had noticed that dual-wielding was the most comfortable fighting style for me. It just came naturally to me to fight with both of my arms, keeping up with two weapons not an issue at all like it was with most people. I had taken this into account when I had made my designs before giving them to Ruby, and now that I was holding the finished product in my hands, weaving between slow-moving fake Grimm I knew I had made the right choice.

Hit and Run. A month-long labor between Ruby and I, and one that turned out beautifully. They were a pair of black and blue mechashift hookswords with short range weapons incorporated into them, meant to accommodate my more personal way of fighting. While it had taken a bit of getting used to, especially since they were both around two feet longer than my escrima sticks, it hadn't taken long to shift my style to accommodate.

Run was my left weapon. It included a high-capacity SMG that worked by shooting chunks of pure dust. It was certainly an expensive type of ammunition, but one I was more than happy to use given the sheer variety of effects I could choose from. Well that, combined with the fact that money was of little consequence any more, had spurred my decision.

Hit, my right weapon, was exactly the same as Run except instead it included a low-capacity, high-caliber pistol whose barrel ran along the length of the blade. It was also the weapon responsible for the whole dust chamber issue that Ruby and I had run into, as the caliber of bullet I had decided to use was much larger than it had any right being. That was intentional however, and I was supremely glad it had worked out. Anything on the wrong end of my sword was in for a big surprise.

Truly, both weapons had come out incredibly well, and I knew I had Ruby to thank for it.

I grinned sharply as I sliced off the head of a fake blue Beowolf, the sharp hooks of my weapons clicking together as the resistance of the Grimm's thick neck suddenly disappeared. The training room was currently on its second-lowest setting and so the Grimm were much less aggressive than they would have been in the wild. But that was fine, I was here to get used to my weapons and test them out, not fight for my life.

Still, I couldn't deny that it was fun. Much more fun than I had ever had in a fight before.

I twirled as I heard movement, ducking under a swiping claw as the Beowolf dispersed into particles behind me. A simple twitch of my fingers activated a hidden mechanism in Run as I turned to the attacking Grimm, pointing the hilt of my weapon towards it as a barrel emerged.

Burning chunks of dust pelted the hologram, stopping it in its tracks with a grimace as I closed the distance rapidly. I thrust Hit forward, activating its mechashift at the same time and causing the hook to face forward in a way more akin to a standard blade. It speared through the hologram's stomach with ease, killing the fake Grimm and causing it to disperse as well.

I wasn't given a moment of rest as my ears twitched on my head as I picked up a shift in the air, and I just barely managed to dodge out of the way of another snarling hologram, my white aura flaring as fake claws scraped along its surface. As it passed me, I extended Hit outwards, shifting it back into a hook and catching the running Grimm in the leg, causing it to fall forward into a tumble as its leg came out from under it.

Knowing that it wouldn't hit hard enough to kill with the amount of ammo left, I placed Run on my back, clicking it in place into the magnetic strips located there, before retrieving Trick from its holster. Two quick depressions of the trigger, and the third Beowolf was gone as well. I placed Trick back where it came from as blue particles drifted upwards as the simulation ceased displaying the fake Grimm.

Which left just one. I kept my eyes on the last fake Beowulf as I pulled a chunk of fire dust from the bandolier around my chest, placing it inside of the now-open slot on Run, reloading it. I brandished my weapons, narrowing my eyes as the hologram roared angrily, before darting forward, swords held low in preparation.

As I neared the Grimm, I thrust my left arm forward, depressing Run's trigger and unloading red-hot dust into its stomach and causing it to let out a digitized yell of pain. As I got close enough, I shot Hit forward, the sharpened hook sliding mere inches from its neck, before I brought it back towards me with an expectant grin as it bit deeply into fake fur and flesh. And as the weapon locked around the hologram's neck, I pressed a button on the hilt, bracing my arm in preparation as a click sounded out.

With a loud bang, an explosion of fire dust emerged from a small barrel beside the blade, propelling my arm backwards and easily slicing through the hologram's neck, cleanly decapitating it even as the explosion and bullet itself reduced the head to a pulp.

The training hall was quite apart from my deep breaths, before it was broken by Ruby.

"YES!" My best friend shouted happily as I inspected my weapon with a satisfied smile, taking in the lack of cracks on the face of my right sword, "That was really good Rei! And the dust chamber worked perfectly!"

I clicked a button on both hilts, shifting them back into their regular bladed forms as I held them out for Ruby to inspect, "Seems infusing our Aura's into the metal worked. There's zero damage from what I can tell and they're still really light."

She skipped up to me happily, grabbing the Hit as she inspected it, happily noting the lack of damage evident on it. She gave it back to me before grabbing Run and doing the same, turning it this way and that as she inspected the face.

"It's really too bad we couldn't test the alt mode. But we'd need to go to the firing range for that, and the second-years are holding a group practice there; they'd definitely know you aren't a student." Ruby pouted.

I chuckled as I grabbed Run from her. I twisted the small dial on its face, causing it to jump in my hands as its components shifted around in the way that mechashift tended to do until finally, I was holding a smaller-than-average rifle in my hands. I handed it off to Ruby who hummed as she looked it over.

"I can't see any imperfections in the welds." She muttered, "The sight is a bit rudimentary, but it should allow you to fire at a relatively good range though nothing too drastic. Trigger isn't too squishy, barrel alignment is good and there's no cracks from the shift so that's good. I wonder if-"

"Let's test all that some other time." I placed my hands on hers as she began to ramble, stopping her in her tracks, "We've been working really hard this month, you more so than me with your schoolwork and all. You deserve an actual break."

She pouted as she looked up at me, "But Reeeeiii! We still have so much to test! What if the mechashift malfunctions while you're in a fight! We've got to make sure everything is perfect!"

I chuckled lightly as I took in her enthusiasm, "And we will Ruby, but later. I'm not getting into a fight any time soon so we have all the time in the world. Let's take a break."

She opened her mouth to argue, but I just raised an eyebrow at her and she closed it, "Alright. I guess a break sounds nice." She muttered and I nearly shook my head in amusement. This girl was too much sometimes.

I stared into her eyes, pools of silver reflecting my own enamored gaze, and I swallowed thickly as I came to terms with just how close we were, mere inches between our faces. Ruby seemed to realize the same thing too, as her face suddenly bloomed scarlet and her eyes darted away from my own.

My breath caught in my throat as I took her in, analyzing the way her dark hair curled along her ears and the way her rosy blush enhanced her soft features in a beautiful way.

I swallowed roughly. Wasn't this the moment in movies where the smitten couple confessed their feelings for each other? That's what it felt like, and this was the perfect opportunity to tell the girl in front of me how I felt. Nobody else was in the room, and nobody knew we were here so we weren't likely to be interrupted anytime soon…

And yet, as she locked eyes with me once more, none of that mattered. All that mattered, was that Ruby was inches away, staring into my eyes with a look softer than any I had seen before. My throat worked as I thought of what to say, rendered speechless as I did my best to get my emotions in order.

"H-hey Ruby…" I spoke quietly as I gathered my resolve.

"Yeah Rei?" she said just as softly, staring up at me.

I could do this. I could do this.

"Would you, ah- I just- Are you-" I scrunched my face as my words tripped over one another in an attempt to get out of my mouth. I focused, trying my best to calm down in order to get my sentence out in a way that was understandable. This was important, "There's that new Mistralian place that opened up near my shop. Do- Would you wanna go there sometime? Just the two of us?"

Ruby's eyes widened, "Like a date?" She squeaked out.

I swallowed, glancing away, "Well, no. Not like a date. A date." There was a small intake of breath and I looked back to find silver eyes staring into my own, wide as saucers.

My heart pounded loudly in my ears as I once again struggled to form my next words. All of my usual confidence was nowhere to be found, the teasing that I had enacted on the girl in front of me not preparing me in the slightest for something so earnest. This wasn't just me trying to fluster Ruby like I usually did, this was something different. Something real.

With real consequences if I had read this all wrong.

But she hadn't stepped back, hadn't pulled her hands free from my admittedly loose grip. That was a good sign right?

My mind shot back to words I had heard my grandfather once say, something that had stuck with me years later.

"Our lives are all about risks, Rei. You take a risk every time you step out of your door to face the world, a risk of loss, love, and everything in between. It's simply a part of life. Don't live in constant fear of risks, embrace them. It can lead to pain, yes. But it can also lead to something wonderful. Now stop sniveling and go take that man's order, he doesn't even look that scary!"

Truly, that man spouted life-changing advice at the oddest of times. I missed him.

I remembered his words, took a deep breath, and decided to take the plunge.

"I… I really enjoy spending time with you Ruby." I began softly, making sure to keep my eyes on hers so she could see how serious I was, "Ever since we were kids, you've had this way of lighting up my life with your presence alone. I don't know when my feelings changed from friendship to what they are now, but what I do know is I've been finding myself looking forward to your presence more and more every day, and basking in it when we're together. You've become a staple in my life, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

"I really like you Ruby. And if it's okay with you, I'd like to show you how much." There, I had said it. A little bit more mushy than I had expected, but upon recollection, nothing that I had said was untrue.

She was silent for a long moment, just staring at me, eyes scrutinizing as she took in my face, and my heart clenched. I had put my heart out there, laying my feelings bare for the girl who had caused them, and hoped that they weren't pushed away.

That would really suck.

Eventually, after almost too long for my heart to take, Ruby's eyes had found what they were looking for, silver pools softening as she looked down at my hands on top of hers.

"You know, it's funny." Ruby laughed softly, "Yang was telling me how there was no way you would reject me if I asked you out and I didn't believe her at first. I've been thinking about ways to ask you out all month but I just couldn't ever actually do it. And then here you go, just coming out and asking." The pit in my stomach disappeared as I took in what she was saying, replaced by a tentative hope that threatened to consume me as I awaited her answer.

She looked up at me, "I really like you too." Ruby smiled shyly, the soft blush on her cheeks making the action even more radiant than normal, "I'd love to go on a date with you Rei."

I couldn't resist, I pulled her into me, wrapping my arms around her back as she pressed her slightly shorter form into my own, the hard steel of Run digging into my jacket. I didn't care one bit; I rested my chin in her hair, a massive smile forming on my face at her words.

"That's… awesome." I said for lack of better things to say. My chest felt like it was about to explode with how fast my heart was pumping, and there was a bubbly feeling that just wouldn't stop, threatening to make me light-headed with just how happy I was.

"You won't regret it Ruby. I swear." I promised her. I could feel her smile into my jacket, hands tightening around my back as she hugged me just as tightly.

"I know I won't."

Next two chapters are posted there if you would like to read it early: Sadguychet | Patreon.

Last edited:
This has been an interesting RWBY fic. An OC who isn't an SI or isekai protag, with Ruby as the Waifu? Lovely. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them getting closer to one another. That moment at the forge as Rei watched Ruby work... you may have awakened something in me.

Also, the hints of backstory you've shown for Rei's new boss have my curiosity peaked... I can't wait to figure out how the guy has survived for as long as he has. To see just what is locked away in that box...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back