• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Stupidity is contagious

...it might help to post a summary or explanation of some sort, 'cause there aren't gonna be many willing to click random links willy-nilly.

Basically the UN Human Rights Committee had investigated Japan for the potential discrimination of women due to a lot of random things and taking action including and up to "Banning the sale of video games or cartoons involving sexual violence against women".

Wait, hold on, The Anime Man put a video about this.
Ah, found it:

Among the possible issues for discussion between CEDAW and a delegation from the Japanese Government are: Banning the sale of video games or cartoons involving sexual violence against women; employment equality, illegal dismissal of women due to pregnancy and childbirth; sexual harassment in the workplace; reintegration into school textbooks of issue of "comfort women"; compensation for women with disabilities sterilised against their will; effect on women, particularly pregnant women, of health programmes introduced after the Fukushima nuclear disaster; difference in pension benefits for men and women, poverty among older women.
Everything on that list sounds pretty cool except for the first one.

Last edited:
It probably doesn't make any sense, but I can't shake this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that that provision was only on the list to give Japan something to strike down. Like - "yeah, okay, we're making some changes, but we didn't do everything the UN asked for; some of those proposed changes were insane! Witness the strength of your national government and how they don't kowtow to international authority (any more than necessary)."

I dunno, probably not. "Never ascribe to malice" and all that.

It probably doesn't make any sense, but I can't shake this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that that provision was only on the list to give Japan something to strike down. Like - "yeah, okay, we're making some changes, but we didn't do everything the UN asked for; some of those proposed changes were insane! Witness the strength of your national government and how they don't kowtow to international authority (any more than necessary)."

I dunno, probably not. "Never ascribe to malice" and all that.
Huh.

If that was prearranged, though...
Everyone benefits, yeah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back