• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Sugar, Spice, and Everything Rice

doomlord9

Experienced.
Since rice seems to be a major thing now, I have decided to help it move into it's own thread.

The discussion started HERE and should continue in this thread.

Complaints about rice discussion on QQ should go HERE.

*edit*

And because it amused me enough to put forth the effort, here's some very rice pictures to start you off with.

9TKuiws.jpg

SOURCE

Also, puns would be rice to have around.

<----is not the best at being punny.

Last edited:
I like my rice white with soy sauce.

If I make it myself, I just microwave some instant rice.

I do not really like wild rice, fried rice, spicy rice, or really any other kind of rice.

This is such a random topic that before this I didn't even know the words in English to talk about the different types of rice and what it goes along with.

So where did people start talking about rice?

On the subject of rice.

My method is:

Take 2 mugs of Basmati rice and drop them into a large pot of boiling water. Wait 7-9 minutes, pour the rice out and strain the water.

Take another pot and two chicken stock cubes, fill the pot with hot water (from a kettle is best) and then mash the chicken stock cubes in the bottom until they are properly dissolved into the water.

You now have a bowl of boiled rice and a pot of chicken favoured water.

Drop the rice into the chicken flavoured water stir. Leave for a short while (5 mins) then strain your rice again.

You now have chicken flavoured boiled rice. Its DELICIOUS. And yellow.

Yum.

If you want to be posh, because its been doublesoaked its a little sticky (though not very) and you can put it into a bowl, compact it then turn the bowl upside down and lift it. You'll have a perfect dome of chicken flavoured rice.

If you want to add other things to the rice like caraway seeds or whatever, just stick them in the chicken-stock water and stir as well.

That's how I cook rice when I'm hungry for tasty rice. Its not as strongly flavoured as Soy, but its really nice.

Goes with damn near anything.

Now I want my mothers 'Rice Pudding' which doesn't really resemble the dish as other people make it.

Its just eggs and milk and rice and sugar with some viniliia.

Then again the rice she uses is so sweet its perfectly edible with just butter.

Depends on my mood, but I do like at times to mix rice with other cooked grains, specifically wheat, barley, rye, oats, and a few others. It goes wonderfully with grilled red meat or chicken. Alternatively, I do like to thrown Vinagrete over rice. Gohan (that is, Japanese rice cooked the Japanese way) can be quite tasty as well, specially in Onigiris with pickled plums inside, or in grilled Onigiris (also with pickled plums inside ideally :p ).

In all, the only rice I'm not a fan is straight simply white rice with salt. It's boring. :p

I don't care for rice.

That's my input, bye!

I like rice and beans. What's really good is getting a big thing of refried beans going, and before it settles you stir in the freshly cooked rice.

Rice is also good with sauces and stews, though. Curried sweet potatoes can be sort of blended into a paste and served on top of the rice, but what I'm wanting to try next is a sort of smooth beet-based puree to serve on top.

Remove the seafood and it's something I would like to try at least once. And no, I don't care if it is some kind of heresy, I can't even stand the smell of seafood.

I'm probably going to be lynched for this but generally I think of Jambalaya as 'Do you have leftover sauces and meats? Dump them into a big pot of rice and cook it for a little longer!'

I'm probably going to be lynched for this but generally I think of Jambalaya as 'Do you have leftover sauces and meats? Dump them into a big pot of rice and cook it for a little longer!'
No, that's basically it.

1. Dump everything into skillet with rice and water.
  2. Bring to boil
  3. Cook on low heat until water is boiled away.

I rarely take the effort to make risotto.

Far more often though when I cook rice I just mix it with egg and fry. Sometimes I use tiny bit of milk or sour sauce, or curry flavouring, but no proper recipes really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back