• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Summary: Ending up in a world where monkeys can set things on fire and where weird bubble...
Chapter 1

ArtMagnus

Knight Imperion
Summary: Ending up in a world where monkeys can set things on fire and where weird bubble creatures can control dreams isn't quite a comfort. Especially as you end up not in a world you are familiar with, but rather a hell mode itself. (SI into Pokemon Reborn)

The world crashed, and I felt my body being thrown to the side of a wall. I could vaguely make out the rumbling sound of a charging train, and I groaned slightly at the impact. My senses were shot to hell and back as if my body was numb all over.

My breathing was hitched, almost painful. I felt nauseous, as if I could puke at almost any second. I tried to steady myself. There was a weight on my arm as if something was strapped on there, and I could tell I was wearing a backpack of some kind behind me.

"Now then… why don't you tell us who you are exactly?" An almost dark voice spoke from above me.

As I looked up, I noticed two people. A woman maybe a few years older than me, and a man wearing a blue uniform. The symbol on his shirt pocket seemed to indicate his status as a Train Conductor or a Trainmaster. Or something relating to trains. I peeked out of the window, seeing a vast desert of some kind rushing past us. Was I on a train?

"Did you have to throw him that hard?" The woman's voice brought me back to reality, as I stumbled onto my feet. Through my own bangs which fell over my eyes, I looked at her. Her tone of voice was more neutral than unkind, and there was a distinct authority in her tone as if she were addressing someone of a lower rank.

The Trainmaster had a scowl on his face. "Well… you're the one who reported the intruder, Miss!"

"I did. But looking at his confused state… perhaps he himself has no idea of the situation he is in," she speculated. I coughed slightly, feeling a charred sensation in my lungs prompting her to kneel, looking at me at eye level. "I suppose it's that time already… Can you tell us who you are?"

Who I am? Who…I am? Who am I?

I shook my head. "I...I don't remember…?"

"We found your ID." The Trainmaster cut in, as he showed off a thin piece of plastic. There was a name and a photograph there, and a date of birth, and I could spot the title of the "Unovan National Registry" labelled above all the other details. The Trainmaster looked at the ID. "Alessander Tektonius. Sounds like a fake name if there was one."

Strangely, despite my confusion and the man's obvious hostility, I found myself agreeing with the Trainmaster. Alessander Tektonius. An unnecessarily complicated name. The first name being a bastardization of 'Alexander', no doubt. And the latter sounded… Greek or Latin.

And this name was my own? It was hard to believe. I could distinctly recall my name being closer to Indo-European in terms of spelling and pronunciation.

Of course, my own inability to recall my precise name is another matter entirely.

"And what about that thing strapped to your hand? Looks fancy. And like a Pokegear." The Trainmaster's words caused me to snap back into attention. It looks like a what?

"A Pokegear." The woman supplied, making me realize I had spoken that last bit aloud. "It's a communication device and PDA most commonly used in Indigo and sometimes in Sinnoh. Ah…" She spoke with realization. "You're from Unova, aren't you? I believe they use a different device called an Xtransciever there."

A fictional communication device. I was careful not to let that slip, as I could feel my heart beat slightly faster. I looked down at my shaking hands, identifying a strangely familiar-looking blue and black device strapped to the back of my arm.

"What happened?" I said, my voice tense and strained as if I had not spoken in weeks. The woman and Trainmaster both hesitated for a second.

The woman shrugged. "You tell us. I was in the compartment next to the one you were in. The people were saying that you were... screaming." She said, her face twisting into a slight frown at that last part.

"Of course, Miss Ame was swift to apprehend you after that. And you were brought here and put in an isolated compartment for interrogation," the Trainmaster concluded. "We also asked the other passengers around about you. The ones in your compartment definitely hadn't noticed you until you screamed, and no one saw you enter the train. It's as if you appeared out of thin air, screaming."

"Someone likely must have teleported him." The woman—Ame, the man called her—said. She stood up, and I stared at her hips in a daze, fascinated by the Pokeballs about her belt.

The casual talk about teleportation, this strange, overwhelming sense of unease, and the demeanour by which they were speaking of my strange circumstances… it somehow dragged my mind to one concrete conclusion:

It seemed we were no longer in Kansas anymore, Toto.

"W-where is this train going in any case?" I asked, stumbling slightly onto the seat adjacent to me. The cushions were rough, as I tried to steady myself.

"To Grandview Station in Reborn City. This is the Lawrence Mail, connecting the Region of Corinth to Reborn." The Trainmaster said, unsurely. He looked around, slight confusion on his expression. Ame's expression on the other hand was confusion and her eyes were… looking above me… what? There was a chill behind me, as if someone had grabbed my shoulder with an icy hand. "We should be reaching soon. And hold on, shouldn't we be slowing down, right about now-"

"GET DOWN!" Someone yelled, but I couldn't quite be sure whom as everything seemed to scream at that moment. Metal grated, stone tumbled, and the world burst like a bubble. Everything around me seemed to flip over as I was blinded by a searing light in front of me, and a blazing flame behind.

And then, a painful ringing sensation racked my ears. The screams and sounds of chaos and destruction didn't seem to stop around me, forming an endless, overwhelming serenade. A flash of light somewhere behind me—maybe another explosion? I was vaguely aware of someone's arms around me, and I could hear them speak with strong, commanding words towards someone else. I could also feel something warm trickling down my skull as red clouded portions of my vision. Was I bleeding….?

Suddenly, everything seemed to go silent. There were still shouting and panicked noises in the background, but it seemed distant.

My body hurt like hell. My head more so. The ringing in my head refused to die down, as I sensed people running and moving all around me. I suddenly became aware of someone's hands on my shoulder, shaking me slightly, and their voice saying my name.

"Alex! Alex!" I blinked, and suddenly Ame came into view, right in front of me. "Wake up! Oh, thank god! You seem alright."

Suddenly, nausea struck. I felt like vomiting, but I held it in with a terse look on my face.

"Wha- What happened?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

"There was an attack." She said, a somewhat relieved expression on her face that I still had the ability to converse. "A bomb went off in the station and on the train."

I felt sick. A terrorist attack? And I was caught in the explosion? The next words which escaped my lips took absurd effort.

"A-and the other guy? The… conductor fellow?" The guilty, disappointed look on Ame's face said it all.

"He couldn't make it out in time." She said in surprising bluntness, yet I could also tell a tense tiredness in her tone. "From what I could make out, a piece of shrapnel hit him on the head, and his death was instant." She paused for a second, before smiling weakly. "Despair managed to bring us both out though, so that's a bit of an achievement. But the others in the station…"

I looked down, in slight shock. A man had died. Only metres away from me at that. And many more people had died as well—other people in the station and on the trains. But I had a question.

"Despair?" And suddenly, I became aware of the humanoid figure to my left, standing close to the white-haired woman.

My breath hitched at its presence. There was something distinctly inhuman about the figure, despite its humanoid build and feminine appearance. It was small and petite, maybe around two-thirds my own height. Its skin was white and hairless, almost plastic-esque, and its green hair curled over its face in a distinct arc, showcasing a bright red eye. The red fin on its chest and the long flowing gown had made it instantly recognizable in my eyes.

A Gardevoir. A real-life, bonafide Gardevoir was standing right in front of my eyes. I nodded slightly, my confused daze apparent.

"Thanks, Despair." I mumbled, looking away slightly. The Embrace Pokemon nodded in acknowledgement as well, before vanishing in a flash of light as Ame withdrew her.

There was a moment of stiff, uncomfortable silence. I could see Police Officers and Firemen and Pokemon trainers and even ordinary civilians all around us moving to save as many as they could. Ame looked like she wanted to say something, but she kept her mouth shut for the moment.

Suddenly, a garishly cheerful voice spoke as they approached us.

"Hihi~!" She spoke, as Ame sighed, turning to face the approaching woman with an exasperated look on her face.

A green-haired woman pranced over to us as I stared in fascination. She seemed to be close to my own age, maybe a few years my senior. I noticed her fairly skimpy, yellow cheerleader's outfit. The police officers easily gave this eccentric woman a wide berth and allowed her in, suggesting some level of prominence.

"Julia." Ame greeted her with a tense voice. There was amusement there as well, but it was carefully muted. "I suppose you aren't responsible for… well, this." She said pointing to the burning ruins of Grandview Station.

"Whaat~?" She said, her voice betraying an amused tone. "I was just back at the Gym and I saw the big BOOM from there, so I came running!" She had a strange smile on her face as she did so. "Cuz if things are exploding, I have to be there!"

What the hell. Is she a pyromaniac?

"Uh-huh." Ame shook her head with a sigh, turning back to look at the ruin of the station. The flames had died down, and I noticed jets of water being fired towards it by a whole platoon of various water-type Pokemon. The amount of people escaping the ruin had slowed to a trickle. I watched in fascination. "It seemed to have been a deliberate attack," Ame observed. "The train was rigged to destroy Grandview Station. Or else…"

"Hmph." Julia huffed slightly. "Whoever it was who did that was an amateur at this. I mean, the whole structure is still intact! What's the point of anything if you plan on doing such a half-assed job."

"...Right." Ame said after a momentary pause. "Whoever was responsible for this should probably be still in the area," she said after a moment of thought. "I should head back to the Grand Hall. Organize a perimeter around the area and begin the search."

She turned to me, her eyes lingering on my forehead. I suddenly became keenly aware of the pain in that area. I reached up and examined the blood leaking from a cut there. A glass shard or something must have slashed through when we were making our escape.

"You should have that checked out," she said with concern. "They should have set up a medical station here. Ask one of the police officers for its whereabouts."

I nodded. It was a bit confusing, and I was overall in a daze. I needed time to think about…everything now.

"After that, please meet me in the Grand Hall. Just tell them your name, and they'll let you in. We need to discuss… your current arrangement." She turned to Julia. "Julia, I trust that you have things covered here?"

"Right, I do, boss!" She gave a mock salute. "You won't see any explosions this side of Peridot, no siree!"

Ame nodded, her expression clearly lacking in confidence. She put a hand on my shoulder. "As for all this… don't worry about it. I'll take care of it."

I nodded, still in a daze, as she promptly left, offering me a wave as she did so. The surroundings and the people around me suddenly felt utterly alien. I stumbled slightly on the asphalt, my legs feeling like lead.

"Heyhey! You're Alex, right?" Julia asked cheerfully, stepping up and offering me a hand which I accepted, pulling myself up. "I'm Julia! The Electric Type Gym Leader of Peridot Ward! Nice to meetcha!"

"Y-yeah," I said in a shaky tone. "Nice to meet you too. I'm… Alex, I guess." She nodded as we walked slowly off to the side, a policeman guiding us to the medical camp they had set up.

Grandview Station was a large, spacious building located at the bank of a purple lake. There were two or three roads diverting away from the Station. Some went north while one large road went eastward towards where Ame had pointed out the Grand Hall looming in the distance.

A series of tents and desks had been set up. I quietly observed the chaos unfolding before me. There were dozens, maybe hundreds of lost and injured people before me, some of them reporting their status to officers wearing blue, others seeking treatment by some doctors.

I could also see the many Pokemon there. A Chansey provided assistance to a doctor treating a woman's twisted ankle, an Audino dabbing ointment onto another man's burns. There was a Squirtle as well, firing water into plastic cups as a makeshift water dispenser.

My stomach lurched slightly as I stared at the grievous injuries sustained by other people caught in the accident. Compared to them, my own injuries were relatively minor.

"Neat! Pop Quiz!" Julia suddenly spoke. I was a bit surprised, unaware that she was even following me. "Are you going to challenge Reborn's Pokemon League?"

The question caught me off-guard. The Pokemon League? Childish dreams of imagining myself as a Pokemon Trainer began to bubble back to the surface, and I forced them back down with a gulp.

"Maybe?" I said with hesitation. "I mean, I don't really have any of my stuff or anything, so I don't really know…"

Her eyes widened at that. "Oh right! Sorry about that." She said in a surprisingly genuine, apologetic tone. "Hmm… but do consider it though. We have very few challengers these days, and if you do I'll probably be your first obstacle," she said with a smirk. "Hmm… I do think you'll be a great trainer though."

"Oh? What makes you say that?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Just a feeling," she chirped before swiftly turning around and leaving with a wave. I waved back as I looked at the camps, feeling a bit lost.

I ended up standing in a line where a few people with less serious injuries were being treated. I held a handkerchief up to my head, and while the wound seemed to have largely clotted, there was still some blood trickling down.

I observed the doctor as the line began to shrink. Unlike the ones in the other tents who were wearing white coats, this one seemed to be dressed in all black and had a Croagunk of all things assisting him. His purple hair was strangely distinctive as well. As the line moved, I was able to take a better look at his features. He had faded purple hair, greying in some areas, and a face whose lines made him seem older than he actually was.

The boy in front of me moved when his turn came. "Yowch! It stings!" he said as the man applied disinfectant to the wound on his arms.

"Only temporarily," he said in a soft, almost cold voice. "Your wound needs to be disinfected before treatment. It may sting for now, but it will burn far worse if you leave it as is, and fester if you neglect it entirely. If you want that, I can stop."

"N-no, no sir. Please continue," the boy said with a whimper.

"Hmph. The transaction of exchanging short-term pain for long-term healing is likely difficult for someone young to understand," he said, more to himself rather than the boy. He proceeded to clean and apply bandages to the boy's injury "You do not yet have the experience to know why the world has hurt you. Thus, you are forced to trust the adults in your life. But all too often, they prove themselves incapable of earning that trust."

My only thought throughout that speech was: 'Why is he suddenly spouting his whole life philosophy out of nowhere?'

He sighed as he took a final look at the wound. "There, it is done. It should be all better, yes?"

"Yes, sir."

"Worth waiting for?"

"Yes, thank you, sir," he said as he scampered off.

And suddenly it was my turn.

I was definitely quieter than the other patients, quietly submitting myself to his care. Soon, he applied an ointment on my head after checking for a concussion, then he bandaged my cut which thankfully wasn't very deep.

"Thank you," I said, as I stood up.

"It is no problem," he responded in that same monotone tone.

"May I ask for your name?" I suddenly blurted out.

"My name?" There was a furrow in his brow. "I suppose it is no harm... I am Dr. Corey Molinar."

"I see, thank you, Dr Molinar," I said, nodding at the man before quickly walking away. Something about him gave me the creeps… but I also had the feeling that that was not going to be the last interaction I had with that man.

The city reeked, I observed, as I walked down Grandview Avenue, the lakeside road from the station to the Grand Hall. The potent stench seemed to not only emanate from the murky, filthy waters of Azurine Lake but also the piles of garbage casually strewn about. I observed an open drain spilling over and a pile of trash which I could have sworn had just blinked at me. I was a bit perplexed before chalking it off as a Trubbish or something.

Ah. And there was that other thing. Being sent to the world of Pokemon. A… dark, brooding, edgy world of Pokemon, but a world of Pokemon nonetheless.

I could see the 'Grand Hall' as Ame put it looming in the distance, but I could tell that it would take some time for me to get there on foot. Enough to muse over my current situation.

I recalled memories many years old, about playing FireRed and Sapphire and Platinum and becoming fascinated by the entirety of the Pokemon franchise. I never got to play the 3DS or Switch games, but my affection for them remained through the Anime and the Manga and whatever other games I could still play.

I never expected myself to be Isekai'd there though. Especially not… in what seems like a region which did not appear in any of the games I had played.

Reborn. That was the name of this region. A bit of a weird name, to be named after a verb, but it works, I guess.

I clenched a fist, pausing for a moment. What I lacked right now was information. I didn't know anything about this place, what sorts of systems are present, and whether or not there was any method for me to get back home. There was also that murky haze in the back of my mind, and I could feel a migraine swelling, causing me to wince.

I idly wondered if they had paracetamol here.

My memories, however… were in a jumble as well. I was aware of general details—of my age and my old occupation as a college student. But the specifics escaped me, especially in regard to my old social life. I had… a parent. Maybe two? And… not many friends? And did I have a love interest?

I scratched my head. I really needed to calm down and think about this, but not now. I looked up, quite impressed by the massive building which stood before me.

The Grand Hall was a massive complex, a singular building standing tall in a small, surprisingly green garden. Surrounded by drab walls, I idly noticed the somewhat strict security standing in front of the gate. Nervousness clung to me as I approached the entrance and submitted myself to their inspection. A lady security officer was seated at a desk with a notepad listing details.

"Name?" She addressed me as I passed through a magnetic scanner.

"Alex," I said, the unfamiliar name passing through my lips. "Alex Tektonius."

"Ah. Ame said you were coming," she said with a nod. "Go right through, straight ahead, and ask the front desk for her."

"Right," I responded with a nod. I was in a daze as I wandered through the glass doors of the Grand Hall.

The air conditioning of the building was intense, a chill passing through my body as I could hear it grind overhead through the vents.

This Grand Hall place was the centre of administration of this region and it showed.

I could feel the stares on me as I passed through. The opening reception area was a massive platform with many different desks and stations all around. I could identify a shop of some kind, and what looked to be a Pokemon Center off to my left. There were also people—a lot of people actually—some of them looking at documents, others tending to their Pokemon, and another group of people huddling near a TV watching a news broadcast. I winced as I overheard the reporter talk about the explosion at Grandview but quickly made my way to the front desk.

A simple exchange of greetings happened with the man stationed there. Soon, I found myself being shuttled towards Ame's office.

She was waiting for me, seated behind a desk working on some paperwork as she looked up as I entered. I waved at her nervously.

She smiled however, offering me a seat.

"Well then, Mr. Alex. Shall we get started?"

A/N: For the past few months I have been fascinated by a few things. Nier Automata, the Otome Isekai Genre, Ben 10 and Pokemon Fangames. I had played Reborn some time ago, and completed it recently, and I'm working through the Endgame now.

This fic would probably change a bunch of stuff from the game, but overall I'm planning to stick with the Lin Route apart from changes which would make more sense in my head. Alessander Tektonius was a character conceived primarily to give the protagonist a lot more depth and I am hoping to give him a proper arc which we can follow.

'Tektōn' is an ancient Greek word which means Craftsman, Artisan or Carpenter. I just found the name and decided it sounded good for Alex's surname.

Self-Inserts or SIs or Isekais are always fun and I've had the idea of writing a fic for Reborn did pop in my head a bunch of times, so I've gone ahead and done it. And this is the result. Comment on how I did, review and like. Constructive criticism is always appreciated. This fic will be going on like four different places, so look out for it there as well.

Other chapters are being worked on right now. But it's going to be a bit slower than I hoped.

Thanks to cat_and_crow from AO3 for beta-ing for me. You've been great help. And good day to the rest of you.

I never thought I'd see a pokemon reborn fanfiction, but im happy for it! Will you also tie it into the rejuvenation game considering they're in the same world?

I never thought I'd see a pokemon reborn fanfiction, but im happy for it! Will you also tie it into the rejuvenation game considering they're in the same world?
??? Your comment. Have you ever read any FanFiction on FF or web novels?? Because it's a stupidly common premise and if you haven't seen it it says a lot about where you've been reading fanfiction.

What the pokemon fangame name???

"Pokemon Reborn." It's one of the darker Pokemon games and a bit edgy, but one I like.

Thanks. While I probably won't make any direct tie ins, I am hoping to eventually reach the postgame where certain characters from both Pokemon Desolation and Rejuvenation make cameos.

Pokemon Reborn! My favorite pokemon game!

I'm extremely interested in how you adapt the story. Hope to read more.

Enjoy the eventual sonicbooms wiping your whole team.

Pokemon reborn. Damn , out of all the pokemon fangame i could choose to be reincarnated this would be one of the last one, good luck for Mc cuz he will need it with all the mindfuckery inside it

Chapter 2
Summary: Ending up in a world where monkeys can set things on fire and where weird bubble creatures can control dreams isn't quite a comfort. Especially as you end up not in a world you are familiar with, but rather a hell mode itself. (SI into Pokemon Reborn)

In my sleep, I could not dream.

For a time, it frustrated me. I liked to dream and being unable to do so certainly made a difference as to how I woke up. But after the first few nights, it was strangely therapeutic, slipping into that state of poignant darkness.

The room they had provided me was located somewhere in the Grand Hall in an attached complex adjacent to the main building. It was miniscule, with just enough space for a Television, a bed, a tiny closet, and a bathroom with a basic shower and toilet. It honestly reminded me a lot of those motel rooms they showed in movies sometimes.

I felt a bit nostalgic at the thought, knowing all too well that all those movies and games from Earth will now forever be out of my reach.

After what seems like forever, I push myself to get off the bed. My eyes are tired, my body wary, and my mind fatigued after another day of research. I drag my feet across a carpeted floor into the bathroom.

I stare at my reflection for a moment. My transmigration here was not accompanied by some great metamorphosis of my physical form, so I looked relatively the same as I always had: slightly dark skin, black hair, and a tired expression on my face. I scratched my chin, finding that stubble had started to grow again. My body was unathletic and a bit paunchy, an indicator of the sedentary life I lived before.

It had been five days since my arrival in this world, and I was still stuck in that state of purposeless limbo. Nervousness accompanied my every action, as I hesitated to make firm decisions on my future, primarily because of my fear of overreaching. Ame had been kind to me, very kind, setting me up in this room and giving me an allowance so that I could purchase clothes and belongings, but she had not taken my reluctance to formally become a Pokemon trainer very well.

She seemed more disappointed than anything really. And I couldn't exactly blame her. From what I heard, there were several new trainers on the train which exploded, all of them from regions outside of Reborn. This was technically a diplomatic nightmare for her, so I couldn't exactly blame her for trying to salvage the situation with one guy who did manage to make it out alive.

I clenched my fist as I sighed, stepping out of the bathroom. I toweled off and began to change, mentally preparing myself for the decisions I am about to make. Because I knew that there was no going back from this.

The past five days have been spent in research, study and catching up on everything I

needed to know about this world. I was aware of 'Fallers' from the Alola games, and how travelling through Ultra Wormholes had made them targets for Ultra Beasts due to the energy which lingered on their forms. I did not know if that was the case for me or if some Aether Foundation-esque organization was on the lookout for me, but I didn't want to take my chances. Knowing the basic history and societal functioning of the world to create a backstory would be the barest of requirements for my protection.

From my research, it seems that the history of the world was more closely linked with the events of the games rather than the anime or the manga. Red was a legendary trainer who had become Champion around a decade ago at this point and had vanished soon after his ascension, and Blue was a famous Elite Trainer who still operated as the Viridian City Gym Leader.

Dawn had surprised everyone by retiring from Professional Battling only a year after becoming Champion, the post returning back to Cynthia who retained the title to this day. May and Gold were still the Champions of their respective regions. Hilda became the Unovan Champion right after beating N, but had disappeared from the public eye, being replaced first by Iris, and then by Nate.

It felt... strange, reading newspaper reports and articles about these people. It was only a few years ago that I actually was these people to some extent. I knew each of their journeys, their trials and the difficulties they faced even under the games' kid-friendly lens. I remembered playing the games with gusto, indulging in my own personal escapist fantasies as I imagined myself travelling the world, surviving on the merits of my wits and my Pokemon alone. It was something which enthralled me, a distraction from the pressures and pains of the day-to-day.

To see the vessels of these childhood fantasies be real people and achieve true success fills me with a suffocating sense of pride which felt wrong to have. These were genuine people now in a real world which I also inhabited. I had no claim or right to their achievements.

I looked at the clock hanging from the wall above. I also didn't have the time.

My fingers ran over the smooth leather of my wallet, one of the few items I actually owned and had since my arrival here. Ame had provided me with a surprisingly large allowance, sufficient for me to buy a full new wardrobe, along with some other stuff for my day-to-day use. The day I went to get these items was the only day I actually left my room in the Grand Hall, as I spent the rest of my time on my research. The Grand Hall's wifi was thankfully free, and my Pokegear conveniently had an internet connection I could use. My meals were free as well, thankfully, and sent straight up to my room.

When Ame had asked me to be a Pokemon trainer, I was definitely taken aback. I had asked for more time, and she accepted, probably considering the trauma I must have suffered during the accident. However, I could tell she was disappointed, wanting me to start on my journey right away.

In all honesty, I am fine where I am, I think. I get free, surprisingly tasty food, and free internet to browse through all the battles and articles I want. And I am sure that Ame wouldn't kick me out. She seemed like a nice person. She would probably let me stay on, or more likely give me a job or something.

But I knew I couldn't exactly rely on her charity any more. I didn't want to rely on her charity any more.

I sighed softly, standing up after a moment. I could hear the tick of my watch in the deafening silence of the room. It was close to 9, and my appointment was to start half-an-hour from now. I got up on my feet, put on my brand new running shoes, and made my way downstairs and into the main atrium, my thoughts a chaotic haze.

I could feel the gazes of the staff and other regulars as I walked to the Grand Hall's public area. I had become well acquainted with them over the past few days. They knew me as a survivor of the Grandview Incident and treated me with sympathy accordingly.

I wiped my forehead instinctively, noticing my sleeve was soaked in light sweat. As I took a seat in front of the TV, which was now playing some weird Batman spin-off cartoon centered around a 'Gligarman', I fidgeted nervously. I looked around, carefully observing the surroundings while playing with the silent Pokegear in my fingers. It was a surprisingly nifty device, capable of both communication and accessing the internet along with other miscellaneous functions. A bizarre smartphone which was simultaneously clunky with its build while also shockingly elegant with the holographic screens it projected.

"Alex? Alex T-Tektonius?" I heard my new name called out. I quickly stood up and walked over to the receptionist. "Ame is ready to see you."

The familiar hallway leading up to her private office was one I had travelled through only once before, on that fateful day I first appeared here.

The Grand Hall was a deceptively large building. A massive amount of space was taken by the Central Hall, which even housed a Pokecenter and a small shop for basic supplies. The rest was a bit too small for the office spaces and other more specialized facilities. They couldn't exactly build more space around the building, since the Grand Hall, and Opal Ward by extension, was restrained to an island surrounded by bridges branching off to the rest of Reborn.

So, they did the next best thing: they built it underground. Reminds me of the Harry Potter movies, really.

Three floors of varying facilities were constructed right underneath the main complex. The first two floors containing administrative offices while the last having battling facilities. Ame's office was on the first floor, separated by a divider and a door from the rest.

I did not fail to notice the plaque showcasing her title of "League Manager and Interim Champion." The letters were fading and dulled.

The door swung open, and as I took a seat in front of her, I could feel the cold of the metal doorknob linger on my fingers. She smiled seeing me, but there was a tenseness there. "I hope you have come to a decision?" Ame asked.

"I have." I quickly replied with a nod. "I think... I think I'll do it. I'll become a Pokemon Trainer." I said, my voice gaining steel as I spoke.

There was a moment's silence, but I could tell that Ame had suddenly become excited somewhat. There was visible relief on her face as I informed her of the conclusion I reached after those few days of thought.

The logic behind my decision was simple. Reborn was a landlocked country, with no real way out. Surrounded by treacherous mountains, wilds, and wastelands, the best way to get out of here was by train, through Grandview. And the station was wrecked, leaving me stranded.

Flight was another option, but air travel was notoriously expensive and difficult in this world. Kinda obvious, considering the amount of Flying Pokemon which could just ram into your windshield or engine if you aren't careful, and how some aggressive Pokemon like Salamence or Skarmory may even directly attack your plane if you veer into their turf.

Which leaves me stranded in Reborn.

Reason alone did not dictate my decision, as a growing itch, a smouldering passion was also its fuel. I could stay at the Grand Hall, and it wasn't like I couldn't get a desk job or something. It was dangerous after all, with that Team Meteor kicking about.

But honestly? That felt pathetic.

There was a whole new world out there, just waiting for further exploration. A world plucked straight from my childhood dreams. How could I not get out there?

It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows though. Meteor exists. They are a threat, a very dangerous one at that with no qualms about civilian casualties. I have no question that if our paths ever crossed, I'll probably be the one putting my life on the line. But it wasn't like the journeys the other protagonists took were any different.

Team Rocket killed Cubone's mom and countless other Pokemon. They experimented on Mewtwo, the Shiny Gyarados of the Lake of Rage, and Cloning in their rampant pursuit of power.

Team Galactic bombed a lake which killed both Pokemon and people, from what I could see on the internet. Cyrus' plans had left behind a trail of blood on which Dawn and Cynthia walked to stop him, and while Saturn had successfully guided much of Galactic in a better direction, messing with the Origin Legendaries had consequences Sinnoh was still reeling from.

The actions of Team Magma and Aqua led to the capsizing of countless ships and weather calamities all over the world. It is a bit of a shocker that Archie and Maxie got off scot-free, but, to be fair, most experts agreed that the magnitude of the reaction of the Orbs was unexpected.

Team Plasma shot an ice cannon at a city. Even if the reports of the countless casualties had not existed, you can't convince me that people made it out of that unscathed in the games. Moreover, Ghetsis actively tried to kill the Nate/Rosa, only being stopped at the last second by N.

There are always risks. Humans are naturally frail, and even back on Earth, simply bonking your head hard enough is sufficient to kill you. A simple glitch in your organs could cause the loss of function and worse.

Was I willing to risk my own life recklessly that way? Probably not. I was a bit of a coward after all.

But in reality, the best way to avoid these risks and dangers was to grow and rise above them after all. And here, in a world where even Gods can be tamed, that is very much possible.

It was a bit contradictory. To reach a state of absolute safety, I have to put my own life on the line. But it was a thought process which had clung to my mind like glue once I first thought of it.

Become strong. Stronger than anyone. And become strong quickly. That was my aim here.

And I told Ame as such, who seemed delighted at my acceptance.

"That's wonderful news!" she said, gushing. She pulled out a bunch of documents from a drawer in her desk. "Now, normally we would have a whole test and everything for a new Trainer before we issue their ID, but I think that we can get you your Starter Pokemon straight away. You'll still have to take the test, but it will be a bit later from now." She explained.

That had certainly taken me off guard.

A Starter Pokemon. An exceptional Pokemon from a Fire, Water, Grass Type, with outstanding growth rate. Even the 'weaker' Starters from the games back home like Meganium were superb performers here, and a useful asset to any team. Essentially the symbols of their respective generation and some of the most beloved Pokemon around.

"I'll be honest. I thought I would be starting with a Pidgey or something," I confessed.

Ame laughed at that. "We have a surplus of starters right now, really. More than what we really know what to do with. You can have your pick of any of them," she said. "Would you like to go to the Starters room right away then?"

Tempting. Very Tempting. But…

"Can I have some time? Not too much. Just about an hour or so."

"Certainly. It will take some time for the paperwork to be filed anyway. And there's supposed to be another trainer coming in," Ame replied. She stood up, and I took that as my indication to leave. "Think carefully, in any case. Choosing a starter is a big decision, one you should only take if you are absolutely certain," she says wistfully, probably reminiscing over her own journey.

A quick, last-minute research session later, I was seated back on the chair in Ame's office. She was absent, busy dealing with some official matter or other. I looked down into my hands, well aware of the nervousness suddenly stuttering throughout my body.

Can I really do this? Can I actually succeed as a Pokemon Trainer without the plot armor provided by the games?

'Eh, probably not.' That was the reply which came back. And it was hard to disagree with it.

I was a fish out of water in this situation. Even with my knowledge of the games and other miscellaneous materials, my information does not correlate to reality one-to-one. Compared to someone who grew up in this world, will I have a chance?

I sighed. I had already acquiesced to becoming a trainer and the moment I did so, the die was cast. I had to calm myself and deal with the sheer nervousness I felt. It was hard to stop my hand from shaking.

I clutched one hand in the other and looked down, my foot rapping lightly against the floor. At that moment, the door to the office swung open.

"Excuse me, is this Ame's office?" A voice, an unfamiliar female voice, spoke from the door. I turned around to look at the newcomer.

She was tall and pale with long black hair which cascaded around her back. She had fine features, and her overall attire resembled a martial artist's gi, just black instead of white. There was a coat-like apparel over her martial outfit, and most prominently, a pair of Yin-Yang symbols stood out.

"Yeah," I said hoarsely, slightly recovering my nerves to talk to this stranger. "And... um... You are?" I asked, almost hesitatingly.

"Victoria. Victoria Marlowe," she said, approaching me and offering her hand to shake. I took it and noticed her firm grip. Yowch... is she a Martial Artist or something? From the Gi she's wearing that doesn't seem unlikely. "You're... Alex aren't you?"

"You know me?"

"Ame mentioned you in the passing," she nodded. "You're a new trainer?"

"I am," I confirmed. "You too?"

"Kind of," she said with an uneasy smile. "I've helped out with Pokemon before, but this really is the official start to my journey."

I nodded in response. Hmm... Starter Pokemon aren't exactly given out freely. I'm only getting one presumably because the people who actually applied for one aren't here right now. Then, she must be a local of Reborn who used their connections to get a Starter Pokemon. And from her gi, she's probably related to the Fighting Type Gym Leader.

She sat next to me, and I could feel her tenseness. My own posture had become much more relaxed with her arrival. At least I am not going through this alone.

"Are you from outside Reborn, Alex?" she asked out of the blue.

"I am. I'm from Nuvema Town in the Unova Region," I said, recalling my fake backstory. "And you're from here, I guess."

"I am," she confirmed. I could identify hesitation in her expression. "Were you on the train that crashed?"

I winced and that seemed to tell her everything she wanted to know. Her face immediately turned apologetic. "I'm sorry for-"

"It's- It's okay," I quickly cut her off. "It's fine. I'm over it."

"Still, it's a bit wrong for me to bring it up so soon," she said softly. "It must have been a... rough experience."

To be fair, it wasn't the disaster itself which bothered me. The incident happened in a flash, and the worst of the calamity was kept away from me. Under normal circumstances, I have no doubt it would have, but I wouldn't exactly call my situation normal.

The silence which fell over us at that moment was distinctly awkward. I was fairly certain that neither of us knew how to commandeer a conversation from here out, and the topic we did end our discussion on left a bad taste in the air.

Which is why I let out a subtle sigh of relief at Ame's return.

There was a frustrated look on her face as she walked in, sitting right in front of us. She seemed to clear some of that frustration as she sat down, but I could still see some displeasure in her face. "Sorry for taking so long, guys. There was a report about the attack on the station with one of the perpetrators being caught."

Now that was news. "You caught the culprit?" I blurted out.

"Unfortunately no. The man we caught was a... decoy of some kind. He's the third one so far we've found during our search of Peridot, and it seems that the real culprits are manipulating some of the lesser criminals to distract us. They spread rumors that they're responsible throughout the criminal underworld leading our Police force on a wild goose chase. And after the attacks in Jasper and Beryl.." she said with a shake of her head. "We have no clue how they're accomplishing this, but they won't get away with it for too long. It's only a matter of time that we find their base here."

She sighed once more. "Sorry for rambling so much. This is a big day for the two of you after all. Come on, follow me then."

She walked out of her office and me and Victoria followed closely behind. We quickly stepped into the elevator which descended downward into the Battling section of the Grand Hall.

The Grand Hall wasn't just the administrative centre of the region. As the centre of the Pokemon League, it also focused on Pokemon and their development. Trainers from abroad are invited to challenge the League, and the Grand Hall acts as a sort of ranch and repository for any Pokemon they catch. Naturally, a full space was cleared out underground focused entirely on the upkeep of these Pokemon. There was a large arena in the centre, and several rooms branching off. I could see some assistants move about carrying large bags of feed, and some carefully observing some of the Pokemon out and about. I could identify a Tailow, a Pinsir, a Gogoat, and a Blaziken among other Pokemon.

That was quite the variety. A sensation of excitement passed over me as I looked around while I followed Ame. Will the Pokemon I catch end up here some day?

"Here we are," Ame said cheerfully as we stopped in front of a door. "Behind this door, we have a collection of Starter Pokemon from other regions. All you have to do is go in and take your pick." she said with a grin. "Who wants to go first then?"

"Alex can go," Victoria said quickly. "I've already decided what Starter I want, so I can wait."

Was she trying to be nice to make up for that thing she said earlier? That's a bit too much. But I nodded anyway as I followed Ame into the chamber.

The Starter Selection Chamber was spacious and wide. Three long tables for each of Fire, Water and Grass were arranged in the center, each having seven Pokeballs each to make up a total of twenty-one potential options. Three Starters from Seven regions all the way from Kanto to Alola. Reborn had generally good relations with many foreign countries, a diverse variety of habitats and a fairly less number of active trainers joining each year, allowing them access to such a variety of Pokemon to act as Starters.

"I hope you've made a decision on which Starter you will be selecting. It's a very important choice, so I do hope you've given it some thought. Although, if you can't decide you can leave it to chance," Ame spoke, pointing to a strange device to the side. "That device will use a random number generator to pick a Pokemon at random from those that are available. Chance may be quite helpful here."

"Thanks," I found myself speaking. "But I don't think I'll need it. I've already made my decision."

Well, sort of. I had narrowed down which Starter I wanted however. I recalled my thought process as I started to walk towards the Pokemon I wanted.

A Starter Pokemon was important. Having a strong Starter Pokemon essentially guarantees the capture of strong Pokemon in the future and allows you to take on challenges and tasks a weak Starter Pokemon simply won't allow. Moreover, your Starter Choice will also influence the remainder of your journey. You might avoid or enter certain areas depending on your Starter Choice, and you may change your team to match specific challenges you may be facing in the future.

When selecting a Starter, it's important to know what you have in mind. You would normally picture their final form in your head while you think of them. While the initial physical attributes of most Starters are relatively similar, as they grow and evolve, their kit changes to resemble that of their final form.

The requirements I had in my Starter were simple: a fast, reliable and versatile offensive Pokemon who can take multiple roles in a party. It would be preferable if they weren't frail as well.

There was one primary factor influencing this criteria for my Starter: my current Financial situation.

The League provided a stipend, but to be honest, it wasn't great. Coupled with free housing and cheap food in Pokemon Centres, it was enough to survive on, but it really was not sufficient to build a Team with. Maintaining Pokemon is expensive: you need food, water and medical supplies and if you are raising competent battlers, stuff like TMs would also be quite helpful.

On pure personal preference, my favourite Starter out of the twenty-one they offered me was Bulbasaur. I loved the little frog-plant hybrid and in the long term, it was a good option. It could easily fill in a tank role and pester the opponent with its Status Powders and Poison and Grass types attacks, as well as its excellent regenerative capabilities.

But that is not what I want my Starter to do. I want my Starter to be offensive and direct with a focus on attacking. I want to win my battles quickly and handle multiple rounds in quick succession with the same Pokemon. An offensive play style, focused on bringing down opponents in the most efficient manner possible.

Really, apart from some bulky ones like Torterra, Blastoise and Venusaur, I'd imagine any of the Starters could play that role. But I had narrowed down my list to four.

Sceptile was probably the most interesting option and simultaneously the one I would probably not pick. It was true that it was fast, and it had good options due to a vast movepool which contained plenty of both physical and special moves. And, unlike its counterpart in the games, it did learn Nasty Plot which granted a boost to its Special Attacking ability. Unburden was also a fairly straightforward ability to work with.

The downside? It was a pure grass type with weaknesses to some very common types and without a gimmick good enough to justify using it over one of the better options. In addition to that, it was also dangerously frail. It was hard to hit, that was true, but if even a stray wind grazes it, it was definitely going to be having problems.

Its fellow Hoenn Starter, Blaziken was another option. Hits like a truck and can learn one of the most dangerous abilities both in game and in this new world in Speed Boost. It also can learn a solid set of moves thanks to its Fire-Fighting typing.

Greninja was another option. The fastest Starter I could get with really good coverage and one of the best abilities possible in Protean. Moreover the sheer variety of both Physical and Special moves Greninja had at its disposal should be illegal. Water Shuriken, Dark Pulse, Shadow Sneak, Dig, Power Up Punch, Gunk Shot, Extrasensory... the list seemed to go on and on.

But Greninja and Blaziken seemed to have similar problems. Their frailty. In fact, out of all my Starter Options, they were some of the weakest defensively. I couldn't remember their exact stats in the games back home, but here at least, that was the case. While I didn't need my Starter to be a tank, they should be able to take a hit or two and keep pushing.

Balanced Offensive. Or at least, that was what the online forums and articles called it. An all-round strong Pokemon focused on attacking and attacking consistently.

Which led me to my final choice.

I came to a halt. The Pokeball in front of me was suddenly intimidating. Ominous, even, in a way that I previously failed to realise. The creature within will be my partner and my main ally in this foreign land. I will have to care for it as it will have to care for me. For a Pokemon such care is instinctive, they will protect their guardian and their friend.

Me? I have never had a pet before. Or really even a close friend. Will I be sufficient for this Pokemon's standards?

My hand did not shake as I reached out to the Pokeball, sitting quietly at the centre of the Fire Table. The device was cold to the touch, a sharp contrast with the being it contained. My fingers ran over its contours, as I touched the central button with my thumb, feeling its edge.

I turned to my left, finding space there as I pointed the Pokeball in front of me. It seemed to snap open at my action, a flash of light indicating the appearance of my Starter.

The creature in front of me was a bit smaller than I first realized. It was also warm and I could tell that from here. It blinked for a moment, scratching its behind in a very monkey-like action before realizing my presence. Immediately, it seemed to understand what was going on and its posture suddenly became more alert as it looked up at me. It seemed to try to emanate a sense of readiness and enthusiasm for the journey that came ahead.

To my eyes though, it was just adorable .

I knelt down on one knee to get closer to the small creature, and I offered it a hand. It approached, and there was hesitation in its motion as it did so, but it approached anyway. Its eyes were glowing as it examined my much larger hand. I leaned in and picked it up.

Its weight was the first thing I noticed, and it was something I wasn't prepared for. My arm strained slightly as I raised it up and above me, but with a slight adjustment I could lift my Starter easily. It weighed roughly around the same amount as a human child. It- no, He. He was also warm to the touch, almost unbearably so, but the gloves I was wearing certainly helped. His shining eyes seem to glitter in the dim lights of the room.

'He's so young.' I thought in wonder. 'And I don't think it's his physical age even. He must have been cooped up in here for so long.. He's eager to see the world with a Trainer. Maybe even excited.'

I paused my train of thought. And went to a different matter.

Anyone's first Pokemon is important, especially if you want to be successful in the Gym Circuit. Your first Pokemon is the de-facto leader of your Team. As the closest to the Trainer, and the longest member on one's journey, it naturally takes stewardship of the team for the Trainer's sake and whenever they aren't available.

A Captain, if you will.
Huh. A Captain. And he's a monkey.
At that moment, something seems to click.

"Chimchar. I'm weak," I spoke to the Pokemon, who seemed startled by my sudden voice. "I'm probably weaker than anyone around right now. I want to be strong. Stronger than anyone else. I don't want to lose at all, at least not until our journey reaches its end," I paused. "I am going to be the strongest Trainer in the world. And it's not going to be an easy road. Will you accompany me down this path?"

Chimchar chirped at my little speech, and he punched the air in enthusiasm.

"Then I have a nickname I would like to offer you," I said as I let down my Starter on the table. "I'm going to make you the strongest among your species. Unmatched in every aspect. A King," I said, a light smirk on my face. Chimchar tilted his head, slightly confused as to where I was going with this.

"What do you think about being called 'Luffy'?"

A/N: And that's that!

Chapters are being worked on right now, but I am going to take my time releasing them. I want to ensure this story is as good as I can make it to be.

Please review and comment. I would love to here criticism for my writing so that I can make improvements where needed.

Thanks to cat_and_crow from AO3 for beta-ing for me. You've been great help.

Chimchar D. Luffy Acquired!
That said, does stat really mean nothing here? Cuz Infernape is more or less as bulky as Blaziken / Greninja

Infernape : 76 Hp , 71 Def, 71 SpDef = 218 stats in bulk
Blaziken : 80 Hp, 70 Def, 70 SpDef = 220 stats in bulk
Greninja: 72 Hp, 67 Def, 71 SpDef = 210 stats in bulk

Chimchar D. Luffy Acquired!
That said, does stat really mean nothing here? Cuz Infernape is more or less as bulky as Blaziken / Greninja

Infernape : 76 Hp , 71 Def, 71 SpDef = 218 stats in bulk
Blaziken : 80 Hp, 70 Def, 70 SpDef = 220 stats in bulk
Greninja: 72 Hp, 67 Def, 71 SpDef = 210 stats in bulk

There are a few explanations for that:
1. Alex doesn't know the precise stats of each Pokemon. He is vaguely aware of some details, like how pseudo Legendaries all have the same base stat total or how Greninja has a better Special Attack than Attack, but the specifics he has no clue about them.
2. Alex did his own research in that world. He pulled up videos and battle reports of all three Pokemon and compared how much damage each one took from various attacks. From that research, he came to the conclusion that overall, Infernape is better at resisting or avoiding attacks overall.

As for how stats translate in the story, I am doing my best to maintain a balance between game stats and 'realism'. In some cases, they do parallel, in others, they do not. One of the changes I was already thinking of was to Scizor, who is usually portrayed to be quite fast in most fanfics it appears in, but really should be quite slow like in the games. I haven't yet decided what I'll change though.

There are a few explanations for that:
1. Alex doesn't know the precise stats of each Pokemon. He is vaguely aware of some details, like how pseudo Legendaries all have the same base stat total or how Greninja has a better Special Attack than Attack, but the specifics he has no clue about them.
2. Alex did his own research in that world. He pulled up videos and battle reports of all three Pokemon and compared how much damage each one took from various attacks. From that research, he came to the conclusion that overall, Infernape is better at resisting or avoiding attacks overall.

As for how stats translate in the story, I am doing my best to maintain a balance between game stats and 'realism'. In some cases, they do parallel, in others, they do not. One of the changes I was already thinking of was to Scizor, who is usually portrayed to be quite fast in most fanfics it appears in, but really should be quite slow like in the games. I haven't yet decided what I'll change though.
Alright, understandable, after all Ash did won the league with a freaking pikachu, real world pokemon should run more with friendship power. rather than cold stat.

Never seen a Chimchar feature in a story, excited to see where this goes

Oh shit son a Pokémon Reborn story.

Oh good god so much shit can go wrong. At least it's not Rejuvination with all the bullshit that happens there.

Also. Protip for the post game. Rock slide. Or build a team centered around just how busted the psychic field is.

Chapter 3

Summary: Ending up in a world where monkeys can set things on fire and where weird bubble creatures can control dreams isn't quite a comfort. Especially as you end up not in a world you are familiar with, but rather a hell mode itself. (SI into Pokemon Reborn.)

Ame quickly shepherded the two of us out of the Starters' Room, handing us off to an assistant while she allowed Victoria in. Victoria seemed a bit surprised at my Starter choice, and as she walked in I waved at her and she waved back.

The next few minutes seemed to pass in a blur. Not the hazy, suffocating blur I was trapped in for the last few days but rather an exciting, active blur. The sort of blur which happens when you are completely immersed in your favorite activity. The assistant Ame had handed me off to was a woman around my age named Rachel who was usually appointed to help new Trainers get used to handling their Pokemon by giving a crash course on Pokemon Care. Which included how to feed them, groom them and general information on what to do to take care of them.

Watching the newly-christened Luffy was fascinating. He was just like a monkey from the old world, except when he wasn't. I could see him blow tiny embers into his food to cook it slightly before eating them, and how its movements were a bizarre cross between those of a human and those of a primate. He could stay upright like a proper human, but he seemed more comfortable in a slightly hunched over, ape-like posture. It somehow worked really well for my little fire chimp though, and just watching him eat and goof around was probably more fun than the last few days put together.

"Maintaining your Pokemon's fitness is of paramount importance," Rachel said as Luffy ran for a bit on a treadmill. He was panting but didn't seem that winded. "You're challenging the gyms right? You have to know how to take care of your Pokemon before and after fights."

"Can't Pokemon Centers and Healing Stations heal us up to full health?" I asked curiously. At least, that was how they presented it online.

"They can," Rachel admitted. "But you shouldn't be over reliant on them. Injuries tend to accumulate over time, and, without proper rest and personal treatment, a severe enough injury can be career-ending."

I could also hear 'life-threatening' alongside that.

"Hmm. You will be getting a Pokedex right?" She continued and I nodded at that. "That's quite a useful tool. And it's good that you're getting a physical version rather than using the app."

Ah, the Pokedex. In the games, as I recall, it was a convenient source for lore about the Pokemon you catch and important for players who liked collecting as many Pokemon as they could. Here, it's a bizarre cross between JSTOR, Wikipedia and Skillshare, all in a pocket sized device. It was the ultimate tool for both Pokemon Training and Pokemon Research, and getting one was morbidly difficult for your average bloke.

There was a more public version of the Dex in the form of the app which generally had much of the same functionality. You simply download the app on your Pokegear, Holo Caster or X-Transceiver, and it can do roughly 70 percent of what the physical edition can do.

The difference between the two lay in their specs and build. A Pokedex was a dedicated Pokemon research tool, armed with better computation capability and a number of facilities lacking in the app. Electric Discharge, Water Consistency, Plant Health… With a little tinkering from the Trainer's end, a Pokedex can study it all and provide detailed reports. And as for its computation ability, the Pokegear wasn't that bad in terms of speed and efficiency. The Pokedex outclasses it, that's all.

To compare it in old world terms, a Pokegear would be like a mid-range laptop. A Pokedex on the other hand is a high-end Custom PC with solid RAM, a very good Graphics Card and performance you'd expect from a device ten times the laptop's cost.

"Fire types are generally a bit trickier to maintain than Grass or Water types," Rachel elaborated as Luffy walked over to me. I raised him up, hoisting him on my shoulder. "You should constantly monitor their average temperature and if it gets too low, rush him to a Center. Moreover, they have a tendency to get violent or cranky sometimes, so you have to be firm and fairly strict as well," Rachel smiled, leaning in to pat Luffy on the head. The little monkey clattered cheerfully, leaning into her touch. "Fire Types are considered the most passionate type by many. They get easily excited or angry, and the Chimchar line is no exception. However, most Pokemon, and the Chimchar line in particular, are instinctively motivated by one sole goal."

"A goal? Like what?"

"To get stronger, of course. Well, they may not put it out that way," she clarified. "But the goal of most Pokemon is to get stronger. To avoid predators, to become leaders in their group, for more personal reasons… the pursuit of strength is important to almost all Pokemon from the most common of bugs to the powerful behemoths resting in remote areas."

"'Almost all Pokemon,'" I parroted. "Are there exceptions to what you're saying?"

"Of course," she said with a smile. "Pokemon who are already strong enough to stand on their own power and achieve anything they want on their own. Pokemon who are so powerful that nothing is a threat to them. Pokemon who can control the forces of nature and the innate phenomena of the world."

"Legendaries, you mean," I said in realization.

"Indeed," she said, and suddenly, I felt very, very scared.

The atmosphere between the two of us had suddenly become a lot more awkward after that. Rachel had clearly not meant to ramble on like that, and she seemed a bit flustered at everything she said at that moment.

"Researching Legendaries is a side thing of mine," she said, her face tinted with red. "I think I made you uncomfortable for a bit there. Sorry about that."

"It's no issue. I'm fine," I said, but I was blank slightly as I scratched Luffy's head the way she indicated to me.

But I really wasn't.

Legendaries were one of the first subjects I researched in this world since my arrival. They weren't the all-powerful behemoths some Fanfics and other media back home tried to portray them as, but fallible, beatable creatures. Weaker legendaries, the likes of the Legendary Birds and the Eon Duo among others, could be beaten by strong enough Pokemon. And even the more powerful legendaries, those which could change tides and break continents can be defeated under the correct circumstances.

Notoriously difficult to defeat. But it was possible. Not quite the Gods as portrayed in the anime, nor quite the cheesable monsters from the games. A balance of the two.

It wasn't really their power which scared me, because I knew what I could expect from them. It was their status.

I wasn't a religious guy back on Earth. Not remotely. I liked the idea of faith well enough, and I appreciated how people can draw hope and inspiration from it. But I was a bit too lazy myself to follow any religion and armed with the excuse that I can find hope in myself, I refused it all, even if my peers and family were religious. I got away with it because God and/or Gods did not exist back there. Or if they did, they probably didn't care about us humans.

That cannot be the case here. Gods existed, and they weren't alone. They had a full Pantheon behind them. And in a way, that Pantheon is my enemy.

It was the way Rachel had phrased things which struck a core in me. The struggle of Pokemon to get stronger, better, faster, their relentless pursuit for more strength… I could relate to it. I'm in sort of the same boat after all.

But a legendary… a creature with powers and abilities innately potent enough to dominate the world. Masters of Dreams and Life and Death and the other fundamental facets of existence. A quasi-God in their own rights.

To know that I shared their world was strangely suffocating. A thought from one of the greater deities was sufficient to snuff out my short existence.

But it was also exciting. These creatures can be beaten. Gods can be beaten and brought down. It had been done before, by Dawn and Red and Brendan and all those other trainers who rose to the top. I had done it, if only technically..

Will I be even able to do this now? Maybe. But I need experience first.

My eyes turned down to my latest partner and friend. Luffy was seated on my lap stuffing his face with an apple of some kind, chewing it meticulously as if to relish its taste. Like most Fire types, the Chimchar line tends to be always hungry. Primarily because they require a constant source of fuel for oxidation to generate their flames, and their innate biology cannot sustain itself when their internal core gets too cold.

I patted his head quietly, enjoying the sensation of his warm fur against my palm. Luffy could be incredible, I already had a gut feeling telling me that, but he really needs training and experience.

Both of which, at the very least, I could start right here.

Ame had called us again after around a minute, and Luffy climbed on my shirt, perching on my shoulder not unlike the very famous mascot of this world. As I approached her, standing behind a counter arranging some objects on the table, I noticed Victoria off to the side and a Litten in her arms.

Luffy stared at the cat-like creature for a moment, and it stared back blankly. A staring contest raged between the two Fire-type Starters, and neither were willing to back down that easily.

"You took your time," I said, wryly, addressing Victoria, who seemed a bit embarrassed.

"Sorry. Seeing you with Chimchar made me rethink my decision a bit… and Litten wasn't the most.. cooperative Pokemon, you know. It was a bit hard to get him like this." She patted the fire cat on its head, causing it to meow in response. "Still, I think he and I are a good fit."

"That you are. Both of you have made excellent choices for your first Pokemon," Ame cut in. "And now I suppose it's time for you to properly start your Journeys, correct?"

Two identical sets of equipment were placed on the table. A pocket device which looked not unlike one of those old, foldable smartphones, a small case containing five Pokeballs, and a few other miscellaneous items such as the Gym Badge case and a water canteen.

"This is the Pokedex, as you must know," Ame said, pointing at the device. "Record data, check movesets, look up information, the whole lot. If you want to train strong Pokemon, having one of these is quite useful."

"The Pokeballs and others are complimentary gifts we give to every new Trainer who comes here," she paused for an instant. "Victoria you're being sponsored by Kiki and Apophyll, so you'll be taking their ranching benefits, I assume?"

"Yes. That is what Kiki offered while I was training under her, and I accepted."

"Indeed."

"And you'll be taking ranching here, right Alex?" Ame asked, turning to me.

"The League is sponsoring me, so I assume that's the case," I said wryly as I fiddled with the Pokedex in my hands. I was itching to use it on Luffy straight away, but restrained the temptation. I'll get my time.

"That's correct. After your sixth Pokemon, any Pokemon you catch will be sent here. This place may be a bit small, but it's sufficient to handle any Pokemon you may catch. But unlike other Leagues, we have to impose a limit though."

"A limit?"

"Right now, you can send three Pokemon apart from your first six here. The number will go up the more Gym Badges you get your hands on, however." She said with a smile. "I assume the terms are acceptable?"

"They are," I said with a nod. I will probably be catching a lot of Pokemon over the next few weeks. Reborn was a big region, and there was no telling what I'd run into. Coupled with the fact that there were eighteen gyms (Just why?), all of which were needed to challenge the League. Which means having a big team would be pretty damn convenient rather than sticking with a set six.

"Well then, I think that's everything!" Ame said cheerfully. "There's only one thing left for you to do now, I suppose. A Battle!"

Wait what?

"Yes, I suppose that makes sense," Victoria said with a nod. Hang on, no it doesn't. I'm just starting, I don't even know how to battle!

Victoria turned to me. "So then, Alex, I challenge you to a battle."

My befuddlement seems sort of obvious from my expression, but I had to say it anyway. "Umm… is there some sort of cultural context I'm missing here…?"

"It is customary for two Trainers to battle each other when they choose their Starter together." Ame spoke, in an almost sagelike fashion. "Did they not do this in Unova?"

I racked my brains for a response. "Maybe? I don't know. I didn't exactly hang around in circles where we discussed that sort of thing to be honest."

"It's fine if you don't want to fight," Victoria offered. "We can always battle some other day."

I paused for a second. "No, I don't think I don't mind. I actually want to fight." I raised my hand to where Luffy was seated, as I patted him slightly. Excitement tinged my voice. "I want to see what we can do."

The practice field of the Grand Hall was located adjacent to the starter selection room, and it was large and roomy. As Victoria and her Litten went to the other side of the room, I raised my Pokedex, pointing it at Luffy. It beeped once, then twice before its screen was suddenly filled to the brim with text.

'This is… pretty verbose.' I noted as I skimmed through the text. There was a bunch of really interesting stuff there, but I didn't really need that so I pressed a button to the side. A condensed version of the same text then popped up, which was much more readable.

"Chimchar, the Chimp Pokemon.

The combusting gas in its belly manifests in the form of its fiery rear end. A faint flame is an indication of sickness. It is also very agile and can scale cliffs easily.

This Chimchar has the following moves: Scratch, Ember, Growl."

The basic kit. I was slightly surprised at Ember, but it did make some sense. Chimchar was a fire type and they did give the Starters elemental attacks later on.

"This Pokemon Battle between Victoria Marlowe and Alex Tektonius is about to begin!" Ame announced standing off to the side in the referee's box.

'Isn't she the Interim Champion or something? Shouldn't she be… well… busy?'

"Both trainers will be about to use one Pokemon each. The battle ends when either combatant is unable to continue." At that, Victoria tenses and Litten moves forward. Luffy does the same in response, entering the rectangular arena with a determined expression glaring at his opponent. I could see Litten growling a little as well.

The tension was considerable. Litten and Luffy knew each other, I think. They must have, being from the same lot of Starters. Perhaps there was some history there?

I shake my head slightly. I needed to focus. To concentrate. I couldn't give a bad showing here, or I'll let Luffy down.

"Begin!" Ame raised her hand, and the battle began.

"Litten, Scratch!" Victoria was the first to attack, and in response to her command, the Fire Cat leaped forward, rushing towards Luffy. I could see its claws glow slightly. Both our starters knew Ember, I assume, which leaves Scratch as our most viable way to do damage.

For a moment, it was as if everything had been frozen. My heart was pounding, its beats deafening my ears. The scene before me seemed to slow.

This was my first Pokebattle, wasn't it? It was happening too fast, it came too quickly. I had been here for what? A week? It felt shorter.

Nervousness chilled my veins. A command. I have to give a command. Luffy, like all other young Pokemon reliant on their Trainer, was waiting for an order to act.

But what? The tools a young Pokemon had were limited, and dodging wasn't exactly an option. It was a skill which was learned, rather than something which could be done on command.

So the only option was…

"Ember its face, Luffy!" I declared, pointing straight at the rushing cat. On cue, Luffy reeled back its head before it lurched forward, a plume of flames rushing through its mouth.

I could feel the heat from the attack from where I was standing. That was the weakest fire attack? I could only wonder what the more advanced techniques were capable of.

Litten stumbled back, clearly surprised by the attack. There were burn marks on its face as it tried to recover. Although I doubted that the Fire Cat had actually suffered that much damage at all. It seemed more surprised than anything, and that was enough.

That was my opportunity.

"Now! Scratch the shit out of it, Luffy!" My heart was pumping and it was easy to get into this. Vulgarities aside, Luffy immediately leaped into action, jumping closer to Litten and slashing it with sharpened nails.

"You do the same, Litten!" Victoria jumped in, trying to counter my move. Her Starter pulled himself back slightly before lunging and Scratching back. A furious flurry of Scratches came from either side at the center of the field. Their paws slapped against each other, as they tried to overwhelm the other, many of their Scratches not hitting the mark or missing just slightly.

Honestly, apart from the whole Battle aspect, watching this was kind of cute. But then I could see it; Luffy was losing this bout.

Despite our early initiative, Litten was faster, maybe just so. But that was enough to make the difference here. With that slightest of edges, Litten was getting more hits in and I could see the effect it had on Luffy as he flinched in response.

Something needed to change. And fast.

"Pull back, Luffy! And then Ember!" I quickly commanded. Luffy took a moment to register the command, but then immediately jumped back, spitting flames as he did so.

Litten hesitated for a second but then pursued immediately, its claws glowing as it prepared to strike again.

The vague frame of a plan was forming in my mind, as I moved to my next order. "Luffy, Scratch and then jump bac-"

"It's your turn, Litten! Ember!" Victoria cut in.

Shit. I had forgotten about her, and I had forgotten Litten could do that.

I hadn't finished my order but Luffy did get the message, so it jumped in nonetheless. Only to get a mouthful of flames spat at its face.

My Starter seemed to halt for a second, before glaring at his opponent, pulling a hand back and scratching Litten's face before jumping back. The sheer determination of my Starter was a bit… startling.

A new perspective was forming in my head regarding this fight. Litten was superior to Luffy when it came to speed, and it probably narrowly edged out in terms of attack power. But Luffy, not unlike his namesake, had better stamina and more raw determination than his opponent.

So I suppose I would have to bank on that, right?

"Pull back and wait, Luffy. Let him come to you. Watch him carefully," I carefully ordered. I would rely on Luffy's endurance from here on. He leapt back, glaring at Litten who glared back.

Victoria hesitated but made no order. And neither did Litten make a move. The standoff held for a few seconds, and the tension was palpable. And when I could see my counterpart, standing on the other side of the field make a move, I mirrored it.

"Ember, Litten!"

"Match it!"

A wall of flame formed between the two combatants, obscuring the other from view. I could tell that Luffy's Ember was somewhat less pronounced, probably due to my later command, but he was holding his own for now.

Victoria said something to her Starter from behind the fiery wall, but it was hard to tell what. Naturally, I made my move as well.

"Move to your right, Luffy!"

The Chimchar drifted as it leaped to the right, narrowly dodging the emerging Litten as it pounced from the flames with glowing claws. It staggered slightly, and that was where I could see opportunity.

"Scratch it! Don't let it recover!"

Litten had overcommitted to that attack and was unprepared as Luffy leapt on him. A barrage of scratches subsequently landed on the Fire Cat, as it was pushed back further and further, my Starter not letting it get up at all.

Until finally, the dust cleared and Luffy was standing triumphantly over his fallen foe. He let out a shriek of victory as Ame raised a hand towards us.

"Litten and Victoria are unable to battle! This makes Chimchar and Alex the winners!" she declared cheerfully. I saw Victoria sigh as she approached her fallen Pokemon.

She picked up the fainted Litten who stirred at her touch. Holding him in her hands, she smiled softly. "You did good, Litten. Take a rest now."

At that, I became aware of Luffy and his injured state. I lifted him up into my arms, and he winced slightly from the scratch marks over his body.

I pulled out my Pokeball. "Nice work, Luffy. We have more work to do later I suppose," I said, my tone more tense and strained than Victoria's gentleness. Luffy yawned as I tapped his Pokeball on his forehead, causing the Fire Chimp to turn into a red light and be returned to its pocket-sized abode.

I stared at the red-white ball in my hands for a minute, tracing its contours by hand. It was warm now that it had been filled, and I could feel its warmth through my glove. It felt alive in a way and full of life. With a little bit of force, it shrank down to its smallest size and was promptly placed on my belt.

"You were really good, you know that?" Victoria said as she and Ame came closer. "Litten made one mistake and you were ready to take charge. You're going to go very, very far."

I was a bit flustered at the praise. "I really don't think it's that special."

"It was! Taking advantage of the mistakes your opponent makes is one of the number one rules in Pokemon battling," she insisted. "Well, I think I'll go and have Litten healed. Then I'll probably leave for Apophyll after finishing off the tasks Kiki had put me on." She looked at me eagerly. "You should come and visit! For someone who's training a Pokemon who would end up as a fighting type, it's perfect for training."

"I'll consider that," I responded carefully.

"I would like to fight you again some time. You should have a look around the city as well," she suggested. "They say that it's hard to find wild Pokemon out there, but that's not really true. You just have to look for them really hard."

A bigger team… I was initially thinking of looking for more team members outside the main city, but if I was to challenge the gyms right here, then looking for more Pokemon right here should be ideal.

"That was a really good match, both of you," Ame said as she approached. There was a relieved look on her face obscured by her delighted expression. "Alex, what are your plans from now on?"

"Build a team, train them up, and take on Julia," I said promptly. "She is the First Gym Leader right?"

"That's right," she nodded. "I will have to go, however, so this is goodbye for now. Official business has arrived, probably another suspect for the Train incident. But before that— Victoria, a word?"

They waved at me and bid farewell, and I waved back. Suddenly, I was on my own again. On my own and prepared to start my—

"Oof!"

And I had promptly walked into someone. I found my balancing slipping as I winced in surprise and slight pain, finding myself on the floor.

"Heyy~ You okay, cutie?" I heard someone speak from above me, someone very distinctively male.

I looked up. A strange guy was standing in front of me, offering me a hand to pick myself up. I took it and, as I rose, I could see him in greater detail. He was shorter than me by nearly a full head and looked rather feminine. He had long purple hair, most of which was tied in a ponytail, and long bangs over his face. There was lipstick as well, and I noticed nail polish on his fingers earlier too.

"You're pretty cute!" he said, causing me to be brought down to earth.

I blinked at that. Instinctively, I replied the only way I could— "I like…girls…?" I said unsurely. But my shaky answer seemed to only amuse him as he broke into peals of laughter.

"Hahaha! Don't worry, I was only kidding around~" he said, grinning. "I'm Cain. And you are?"

"Alex. Alex Tektonius," I said, offering a hand to shake which he accepts. I find his grip to be surprisingly firm.

"So, Alex… you must be a new Trainer then?"

"I am. And you?"

"I was looking for Ame, actually. I've come here to resi-... to take a restart for myself," he said, quickly amending his prior statement. "Wasn't she here just now, in fact?"

"She was. She left with Victoria on some official business, I think."

"I see," Cain sighed. "Welp, meeting with her is gonna take a while." He then eyed the Pokeball on my belt.

And before he asked the question, I knew what he was going to ask.

"Say… How about a Pokemon Battle?" he said, his lips twisting into an eager smile. "Just to kill time."

A/N: Chapter 3 is out! And we face our first rival in Victoria. I think I liked Victoria the best out of the three rivals because I thought her design was kind of cool. But it is sort of a shame how little screen time she got, vanishing for that middle portion of the story. Cain is also introduced and he was so frustrating to write.

I'll say it right of the bat, Alex is going to have a big team, maybe around 20 or 30 Pokemon. Not every member of his team is going to get the development they deserve, but I am hoping to flesh out each member and make them somewhat unique.

World-building is going to play a big role in this story. A part of my aims for this story is to add depth and realism to the Pokemon World while also balancing it with Pokemon's more whimsical aspects. This involves fleshing out things which don't usually come up in a Pokemon fanfiction. (You'll see.)

Finally, I really appreciate people who comment and criticize. I am not a perfect writer, but I would like to think of myself as a decent one at least. Reviews allow me to improve with time.

Thanks to cat_and_crow from AO3 for beta-ing for me. You've been a great help. And good day to the rest of you.

Damn I really need more of this, Pokemon Reborn was one of the most fun and annoying fangames I've played and to see an insert in that hellhole they call a region will be really enjoyable.

I wonder if Chimchar is going to have Blaze or Iron Fist because I can imagine it switch its personality similar to G5 Luffy or a battle freak like Kenpachi when Blaze activates. But Iron Fist could also really cool since a boosted Mach, Thunder or Power-Up Punch can be nasty to deal with.

I really wonder how you'll deal with 20-30 pokemon without making the story feel bloated or make it feel like its not progressing. And if you decide to name most of them then eventually people might forget who is who or you'll end up with a long list of names each chapter to remind people the names. You could also have some pokemon that don't want a nickname for whatever reason

Maybe stick with 12 meaning you can have two teams for rotation which while is still a lot but its more manageable.

It was this fic that introduced me to Pokémon reborn which means the many, many deaths of Piplup from Julia's electric Pokémon lay on your hands.

Jokes aside with a fresh setting and the unique starter this story is guaranteed to be sick as hell my only hope is that the story keeps the same kind of vibe and almost puzzle like feeling from the game.

Chapter 4

Something which had not occurred to me till then was how draining Pokemon battling was. As I dragged myself to the Healing Station adjacent to the indoor arena, Cain by my side. I was… fascinated by how fatigued I was. Not surprised though; I was somewhat aware of how taxing it can be, mentally at least, to command Pokemon in battle. There was a myriad of complexities in Pokemon battling, most of which I had probably not even encountered just yet.

The Healing Station was a large, elaborate device many times the size of a human. It was white with a transparent glass container, showing off a green fluid bubbling within. Healing Stations were a new technology, only recently rising in popularity. Their primary use was to heal superficial wounds, battle damage and revive fainted Pokemon, although more serious injuries definitely needed the hand of an experienced professional. The versatility of these Stations, especially due to their lack of a need for personnel had led to their widespread installation.

As the machine hummed away, restoring Luffy to full health, I kept an eye on my future opponent. Cain was kneeling some distance away, having pulled out his Nidoran and playing with the little Poison-Type. He patted its sensitive ears and fiddled with his hands.

Cain was friendly, almost too friendly in the way he conversed with me. Almost every other line was flirtatious in nature, and it was hard to tell if he was joking or serious about all that. He was also carefully guarded, dodging any attempt from my side to interrogate him about his own past and personal life. Apart from the fact that he used to be a Trainer before, he was unwilling to disclose anything else.

A restart… why would anyone restart and throw away all that progress? Being a Trainer wasn't quite like any other profession. It was something which required significant investment in terms of money, time and even emotion. It's not easy just walking away from everything like that. Something bad must have happened for him to do so.

As the healing station ground to a halt, and I collected Luffy from it, I stared at his Pokeball for a second. I clenched it hard, deep in thought, before releasing my Starter who leapt out with a flash of light and a screech of joy. He was a bit confused as he looked around, but his expression was one of enthusiasm and delight, probably carrying over from our previous triumph.

I knelt down to his level, lifting him up and back onto my shoulder. For a moment I just stood there, scratching my head. There was some degree of unsurety in my voice. Was it alright for me to push my Pokemon this way?

"We have another match, buddy." I said, in a hushed tone."You ready for it?"

Luffy backflipped as he leapt off my shoulder back onto the ground, his face determined and focused as he punched the air in enthusiasm.

Luffy wanted to fight.

Luffy liked to fight.

And that was honestly all I needed to motivate myself. I think I liked to fight too, after all.

"Cain." I said, approaching him with my Starter by my side. "Are you ready?"

"As much as I'd ever be." He chirped. "That's your Starter I assume? It's almost as cute as you are~"

"It is. And Nidoran is yours?" The purple rabbit-porcupine hybrid glared at me and my Starter, its feet grinding the ground beneath.

The Nidoran line were solid Pokemon. In terms of future potential, there were certainly better options, but it was definitely up there. While less defensive than its female counterpart, Nidoking has impressive offensive ability and a versatile moveset, which made it quite a catch for any Trainer.

"That he is." Cain had a grin on his face. While I could tell there was something flirtatious in there, there was something else as well- something more feral and competetive.

"Right." I felt nervous suddenly. Victoria may have worked with Pokemon before, but in a way she was still a newbie. Cain felt much more experienced, in just the short while I have spoken with him.

As I stood opposite to Cain on the pitch, I gave a stiff nod to my Starter who lept on to the stage. Niodoran stood opposite to him, glaring with a viciousness quite unlike one would expect from a Pokemon as young as it.

"When they're no referee, Trainers can use other means as a way to start the match off." He said, as he pulled out a white handkerchief from his pocket. "When this handkerchief hits the ground, the match will start. Is that fine with you?"

"Yeah that's good with me." I said, my voice a bit hoarse.

Cain nodded, and released the handkerchief into the air. It drifted down, slowly and the instant it grazed the ground-

"Nidoran, Focus Energy!" Cain ordered. A red aura pulsated around the little Poison type as it prepared to make a move.

The battle had begun.

"Keep an eye on him and dodge him when he approaches you," I advised my Starter. "To start off, let's try Growl, Luffy."

Stat reduction moves like Growl, Leer and Screech worked a bit differently in this world. One of the most important aspects of Pokemon Battling was instinct. As naturally intuitive, instinctive creatures, a Pokemon's instinct forms the backbone of their fighting style and ability. A move like Growl is essentially an attack on that instinct, to unnerve and intimidate the opponent.

If a weaker Pokemon like my Luffy does Growl on something of a clearly higher level, like a Nidoking or a Scizor, it probably won't work. But Cain's Nidoran was very young, so it reeled back slightly at Luffy's screeching growls, hesitant in making a move.

But Cain didn't seem that deterred. "Nidoran! Poison Sting!"

Resolve seemed to build in the unsure poison type, as it opened its mouth, firing a barrage of tiny violet needles towards Luffy who dodged the attack easily. A second barrage followed this time one which was much faster.

"Burn those Poison Stings with Ember!" I declared as orange flames turned Nidoran's ranged attack to ash. As the flames blanketed the space directly in front of Luffy, something occurred to me. "Leap to your right, Luffy!"

And on cue, Nidoran came charging through the wall of flames, its horn larger and glowing with a white light. A very dangerous-looking Horn Attack burst through which Luffy was only just able to avoid. A few leaps back later, Luffy had made some distance again between himself and his opponent, eyeing him with caution.

The similarities between this and our previous clash were already showing. There, when Litten had pulled a similar manoeuvre, we were able to counter by getting close. Here, such a strategy would be much more difficult to pull off. With its potent venom and dangerous Horn Attack, it would be quite risky even trying to land a few Scratches in. Moreover, while Poison Sting wasn't particularly dangerous at long ranges due to its weak damage output, in close ranges it had a higher chance of landing the Poison status.

My win conditions were clear here. Against Litten, it was for Luffy to outmanoeuvre the tricky cat by playing a hit-and-run strategy and landing decisive blows in close range. Here, we had to maintain our distance and suppress Nidoran with fire from afar. And Luffy's Ember was very good, from what I could tell from our last bout.

But it… it can't be that easy, can it?

"Keep moving, Luffy! Don't let him hit you!" I quickly order as Nidoran pursued relentlessly. My starter leapt and dashed throughout the arena, narrowly avoiding Poison Stings and Horn Attacks. He needed to do so for a few seconds more. I needed time to think.

I eyed Cain, trying to understand what was going on in his head. In battles between low-level Pokemon, even the seemingly narrowest of advantages would help, and I was certain that Luffy landing an Ember or two would give us a very dangerous upper hand in the battle. All I had to was give Luffy the order and…

Ah. Was that his plan? I… I needed to test it.

"Stand your ground, Luffy! Move back and Ember directly in front of you!" I declared.

Smouldering flames left the Fire Chimp's mouth as he jumped back and the stream of fire rushed towards the charging Poison Pin Pokemon. And at that moment, Cain made his command.

"Dodge and continue, Nidoran! Push through!"

The little Poison Type swerved, the flames brushing its body slightly as he lunged to the side and then forward. The Horn Attack had almost directly landed on Luffy's chest, but by moving back a direct hit had been reduced to a graze. Luffy was hurt nonetheless, but fortunately, his limbs and face were intact. It was important for Luffy to be able to see and move easily.

But I understood now. This was a battle of speed, movement and manoeuvrability.

Ember was my best way of doing solid damage on Nidoran, but it had a pretty big flaw. Using Ember, at its full strength anyway, needed Luffy to stay as stationary as possible leaving him open to attack if the Ember fails to hit. Cain was probably aware of this, at least, and was confident enough in Nidoran's endurance and ability to maintain his momentum after dodging.

So our chances of winning came down to either figure out a way to land Embers consistently and without putting ourselves in a vulnerable position or outlasting Nidoran in terms of stamina. The first was difficult but not impossible. The second was tricky and difficult to determine. Nidoran had the advantage of training for an unknown period of time, so it should have very good stamina, matching if not surpassing Luffy's.

So how should I win? Luffy and I haven't trained, not even once, and it was a handicap which was seriously crippling.

But I needed to try something at least. Even with training, Nidoran was statistically weaker than any of the Starter Pokemon, so winning was not impossible. "Luffy, keep moving around the field. Try to get behind Nidoran and use Growl to keep it off guard."

"Poison Sting, Nidoran!"

Luffy complied, bounding side to side, circling Nidoran who adjusted his position repeatedly and tried to fire its needles. The Poison Pin Pokemon flinched at the sound of the Chimchar's screeches, but quickly recovered and continued to fire anyway.

I paused. Should I just let Luffy get hit by the Poison Stings? It would give us the opportunity to strike back with a ranged Ember, and considering the distance, Nidoran won't be able to close in that easily, at least not without suffering great damage.

My eyes traced the battlefield. We were locked in a careful deadlock right now. Nidoran kept firing its Poison Stings and Luffy kept dodging. In the current scenario, it was a contest of stamina which depended on who would fall first. Will Luffy tire out from his constant movement? Or will Nidoran exhaust its ability to fire its Stings?

It was a coin toss, really. My fist was clenched, as I wondered whether to make a move. Cain seemed more relaxed, however, aware that this was likely where the match would be decided. He may have run out of options, or he simply may have chosen to play any other cards he has.

I, on the other hand, did have a card to play. And to use it, I had to answer a question.

Should I make my Pokemon undergo pain to get victory? Or is preventing their suffering more important than potential defeat?

If Luffy gets hit, directly by a Poison Sting, it would hurt. A lot. He probably won't suffer much actual damage, because Poison Sting is one of those attacks not focused on inflicting damage on the opponent but rather pain. And that's not to mention the risk of getting Poisoned.

The Status Condition of Poison was painful. Paralysis would leave parts of your body numb and make it difficult to move, Burns would leave sores and bruises which make it difficult to attack but Poison's agony was more severe than either. There were no external marks, no wounds you could apply ice on, just an impending sense of danger pulsating from within your own body, locking you in a timer as you start to waste away to unconsciousness.

Well, I suppose the feeling of being Cursed was close.

Regardless, is it a risk worth taking? I eyed my Partner. The constant dodging was getting to him, but he still had that determined look on his face. The resolve to go for gold.

I don't have to win this. There is nothing on the line, no trophy for which I am competing for. Nothing except…

I don't like to lose. I don't want to lose. I want to win here, and I want to keep winning until there's nothing left to win anymore.

For an instant, I look back at the battlefield, and my and Luffy's eyes meet. My uncertainty is reflected in his own eyes, and he responds in kind with his own emotion.

Faith.

And that settled it.

"Luffy, stand your ground and Ember in front of you!" I snarled, pointing directly ahead. I felt unsure and hopeful, but it was also shadowed by rage. It was anger, putrid and bubbling and primarily aimed at myself. Why?

Because I was fucking scared of Poison Sting for a second there. I had only just started my journey after all. There were going to be bigger, more dangerous threats out there and my Pokemon are going to get hurt, and hurt badly, down the line. All I can do is try to secure wins for them and minimize their injuries as much as possible.

The stings hit and I could see Luffy wince in pain, glowing in a light purple hue, but the flames continued, hitting Nidoran directly. As the Poison Pin Pokemon shrieked in pain, it moved back, revealing black bruises over its body. It panted lightly, trying to get back its bearings again, but it was over.

In matches between low-level Pokemon even one solid, direct hit is sufficient to lead to your defeat. Which is why an emphasis is given to movement and dodging in battle.

Nidoran seemed determined, trying to get up on its wobbly feet. I decided to end it. "Luffy, just finish this with another Embe-"

"WAIT!" Cain's voice came from the opposite end of the field. For a moment, I had forgotten his presence. He stepped forward and raised Nidoran's Pokeball, retreating it in a flash of red light. "I'm… forfeiting this match."

The look on his face was strange, his expression half-thoughtful and half-apologetic. As he approached me, I turned to Luffy, leaning down. He was panting, and white thorns were painfully sticking out of his chest. But the expression on his face, one of victory, was something which satisfied me.

"Here, Luffy," I said, as I returned him as well. "Take a rest." My Starter offered a smile as he vanished as well. I faced my former opponent.

There was a complicated expression on his face as he turned to me. There was hesitation there as well. He finally sighed, turning to me with a satisfied expression.

"Good match," Cain said with a sigh, his demeanour relaxing. "I'll be honest and say that I wasn't really expecting that. You're good-looking and talented~"

I brushed my neck, a bit flustered at the praise. "It really was nothing to be honest—"

"Hush now. There's no need to be bashful," he smiled. "Differences in experience can't exactly be bridged by just luck. You're quite skilled, and that's a good thing."

Is it though? Talent has its own kind of burdens, and I would know.

"Still, thanks for the battle, I suppose. We should get our Pokemon looked at," I said, stretching out my limbs. I realised how tense I was throughout the fight as Cain waved me off.

"It's no issue. I'll heal Nidoran after my meeting with Ame," he said with a shrug. The Pokeball's biological stasis mechanism would keep its injuries from being worse, so such a move wasn't exactly strange for me. "Will I see you around then?"

"You probably will. I'm sticking around in the Peridot-Opal area for a bit more. I have to build a team to challenge Julia," I said. "Perhaps you would like to exchange numbers?"

"Oh? Did you fall for me that hard already?" He teased me. I stared blankly for a second before sighing.

"It's…to keep in touch?" I said, not quite sure how to respond. "Do you not want my number or something?"

"No! No! Let's swap numbers. Let's swap numbers," he said quickly.

"One chicken sandwich and mango juice please."

Fun fact about the Pokemon Universe. Food tastes really good.

Even simple things like bread and rice were bizarrely scrumptious. It was as if there was some intrinsic quality to the food here which made it just feel better to my taste buds.

Or it could be the fact that most important staples are bio-engineered to perfection.

Taking meat as an example, I was a bit surprised to learn that normal animals did exist in this world. But their overall variety and numbers were quite low. There were chickens, ducks and pigs, cows and sheep and several species of fish as well. They were mostly animals used by humans for food production or rather the production of meat and eggs specifically since Pokemon like Miltank and Combee had ordinary animals beat in the production of honey and milk. Their low numbers had led to experimentation and the development of artificial meat which became a multi-trillion dollar industry in this world. Right now, it seemed as if synthetic meat made up about 80 percent of all meat consumed, the other 20 percent consisting of both dead Pokemon and ordinary, living animals.

These ordinary animals… felt a bit out of place. Or maybe I found them so, since to anyone else in this world, it was as if it was always this way.

The sheer dominance of Pokemon in the ecosystem and food chains couldn't really be understated. Apart from smaller insects, which formed the very foundations of how this world's biosphere worked, every member of this world's food cycle was a Pokemon of some sort. There was no place for an ordinary animal in this kind of set-up. Moreover, there was the fact that these animals relied on humans a bit too much since they couldn't survive on their own in the wild. It was as if the survival of their species was entirely reliant on humans, and their fate was tied to the humans' own.

I sighed as I stood in the cafeteria of the Grand Hall. It had been about a day since my match with Cain and I didn't feel all that great. Most of my time after my fight was spent packing up everything. Now that I was formally a Pokemon Trainer, I was being kicked out of my previous accommodations. From now on, I would have to live on the road and in the quarters provided by the various Pokemon Centers around the region.

It wasn't that bad. Most of the early Gyms were inside the main city, and even though there wasn't a bus or train system or anything like that, just walking from one end of the city to the other would take about a few hours, and there were regular Pokemon Centers everywhere. Which made the Early portion of my journey a piece of cake compared to being out in the wild.

I looked at my bag, pulling out my wallet from inside it... It was sleek and clean with a metallic silver frame and a blue Pokeball symbol on its front. Those special magic bags that used Pokeball technology in order to store massive quantities of weight did exist in this world, but they were way out of my budget. Which meant that I had to take its nerfed, second-hand version which can store things with a greater volume than it, but I also felt the weight I was carrying.

I should get an upgrade for it, I decided. Maybe after I make some money.

"Sir, here's your Chicken Sandwich and Mango Juice."

After I paid, I took my food and carried it outside. Normally, I would have been fine eating in the Cafeteria, but I had a partner now and I should probably do my meals with him.

The city outside reeked, but not nauseatingly so. The open courtyard of the Grand Hall, adjacent to the murky lake and the bridge around it was actually sort of pleasant if you can ignore the whiff and the ruined ornamentations of the courtyard. A ruined statue, a dead tree, desperately shabby bushes…

Yeah, it was kind of pleasant. At one time it might have even been beautiful. There were a few other people there as well. A scientist stood in the corner examining a tree, while another trainer fed their Aipom. I waved at them before sitting at a desk and releasing my Chimchar onto the grass.

Luffy chittered when I released him and was delighted when I provided him with a can of Pokefood. It wasn't the best brand on the market but was the one I identified as having the best balance of affordability, taste and nutrition. Consisting of brown, grainy blocks, it wasn't much, but it was enough to keep Luffy sated for now. When he evolved though… his nutritional requirements will probably go up as well.

'I need money. And lots of it really quickly,' I realized. 'I also need to see how to prepare better nutrition. Maybe I can figure out how to cook stuff for Chimchar? Ingredients should cost less than pre-cooked food. A house would also be nice I think, some place where I can crash.'

I closed my eyes, munching on my food as I became lost in thought. There was just… so much to do…

As I reached out for my bag and opened it up to look for my notepad, I paused and listened.

"Luffy, can you hear that?" I asked my partner who paused his meal as well and jumped onto the bench.

Behind us, coming from a bush not far away, there was a rustling sound. Curious, I moved towards the sound, picking up my bag and indicating Luffy to follow. The other people in the courtyard didn't seem to have noticed it.

As I neared the bush a pair of black beady eyes stared at me. It belonged to a strange mammalian creature with a mix of brown and black hair and a maw which zigzagged in terms of shape. The creature was whimpering, probably from pain, and soaked as well. It seemed both intimidated and scared by our advances but too tired to do anything about it.

A Zigzagoon. A very hurt Zigzagoon was staring back at me.

I gulped slightly. How did it end up here? Zigzagoon wasn't exactly a common Pokemon in the main city region of Reborn, and this one's condition seemed especially bad. And why was it soaked?

"Chimchar, can you ask this Pokemon how it ended up here?" I asked my partner who gave a firm nod and approached the Normal Type. It cowered slightly but seemed more confident and comfortable in the presence of a fellow Pokemon.

My attention went to the northern edge of the courtyard. There was an iron fence bordering its boundary, and on the other side was Azurine Lake. The fence was of a strange design with interlocking squares and rectangles, and there was probably enough space for Zigzagoon to crawl through.

So it swam through the Azurine Lake? Its fur doesn't seem that drenched so it couldn't have swam that far. My eyes went to the bridge just a few dozen metres opposite the iron fence. And I reali…

Wait, it swam through the lake? My blood ran cold as I examined the Pokemon in closer detail. As it nattered away with Chimchar, I observed that its breathing was heavy, and its skin was paler than usual.

There was one way to confirm my suspicions, however.

I reached for my coat pocket, pulling out my Pokedex which beeped in the presence of the Pokemon. Zigzagoon tensed hearing upon that and turned to me as the conversation between it and Luffy halted.

"Zigzagoon, the Tiny Raccoon Pokemon

A Pokemon with abundant curiosity which wanders everywhere. It walks in a zigzag fashion and can be very good at finding lost items. Its hair is bristly and it rubs its back hair against trees to leave behind territorial markings.

This Zigzagoon is wild and has the following moves: Tackle, Growl, Sand Attack, Covet.

WARNING: This Pokemon is currently suffering from Type 4 Poisoning and miscellaneous injuries. It is recommended to take this Pokemon to a Pokemon Center as soon as possible."

Well, that settles it then, doesn't it?

I stared at the Normal Type for a second as I pulled out a spare Pokeball. It was quiet, but I could hear it growling, trying to intimidate me. From such a weak Pokemon, it sounded pathetic.

I moved quickly before the raccoon could jump at me, I tapped its forehead with my empty Pokeball. For a moment, the Pokeball in my hand shook slightly before it clicked shut, signifying the completion of the capture.

The capture of my first Pokemon.

I hid my excitement well, knowing that it was quite likely this was just temporary. I turned to Luffy, who just seemed confused at what had just happened.

"Sorry about that, partner," I said apologetically, as I patted his head. "He's really sick and needs treatment as soon as possible. I'll let him out once he's better so that you can have a proper chat," I said, as we started to walk towards the exit before breaking into a dash. Luffy jumped, hitching a ride on my shoulder.

As I passed through the hallways of the Grand Hall, I ignored the admonishment of the other people I passed.

I had a Pokemon to help after all.

A/N: And that's that! Our second Rival fight is over and our next Pokemon is captured! People who have played Reborn would remember this Zigzagoon as the one being bullied by the kids on the bridge. In some playthroughs, he is replaced by a Pachirisu.

This Zigzagoon is very, very different from the one in the game, I'll tell you that. If you want to figure out why, then do wait for the next chapter! You'll see then. In any case, this is probably the first out of the many significant divergences which are going to occur in the story. Changing the order of the rival fights was a minor one to make the sequence of events make more sense in my head, but this is substantially more important and we'll be seeing more important things occur as this fic goes on.

While I do feel that 20+ Pokemon is a bit much, that is the amount of Pokemon I used for my playthrough, apart from strictly one-off Pokemon I used for specific fights (Crustle in the Fire Gym for example). I do hope that I can provide each teammate sufficient screentime to show off their individuality.

This is going to be a big fic anyway. According to my estimations, it's going to take anywhere between 10 to 15 chapters total for us to finish with the Peridot section alone. I think I can afford to provide some screentime to the squad.

Regardless, let's close it here. Thanks for reading, liking, sharing, etc. If I find time I might write some other stuff as well.

Thanks to cat_and_crow from AO3 for Betaing for me. And good day to the rest of you.

While I do feel that 20+ Pokemon is a bit much, that is the amount of Pokemon I used for my playthrough

Woah. I bred and built at least twice that by the time I challenged the last gym. Then I built 4 dozen more before the elite four for the sake of it.

I suppose this would be spoilers, so you don't have to answer, but any particular favorites in mind for this fic? From your playthrough?

Woah. I bred and built at least twice that by the time I challenged the last gym. Then I built 4 dozen more before the elite four for the sake of it.

I suppose this would be spoilers, so you don't have to answer, but any particular favorites in mind for this fic? From your playthrough?

I have had 3 playthroughs so far. My first two were done before episode 19, so I never got a chance to finish them. In the most spoiler free way, this is how things went:

I picked Greninja in my first playthrough. I beat 13 gyms, I think, during that playthrough. In my second, I picked Blaziken and reached upto the Fire Gym before I had to swap PCs.

This fic is largely based on my third and current playthrough of the game where I picked Infernape. In fact, most of the Pokemon I have planned for my E4/Champion fights are from my final 6 in this playthrough. I won't give specifics, but a significant chunk of my planned roster are Event Pokemon which you get through special interactions. There will be Pokemon you can get normally as well, but those are a bit in the minority.

I can't specify any particular Pokemon for this fic or my Playthrough, due to massive spoilers. But I can tell that Alex is gonna catch 5 Pokemon before facing Julia.

Chapter 5
Pain. All he could feel was pain.

He was drowning again…

The waters were rough, and swimming through it was like trying to swim out of mud, and its blackness clung to his skin and his fur. It stung, desperately all over his body. It was difficult to breathe. His proud fur, which she used to brush every morning and every evening.

Oh, his poor trainer…

He did not remember much of her last moments. He remembered the heat, persistent and relentless. He remembered the world falling around him as brick and pillar and cement cracked and crumbled. He remembered tackling her out of the way of a blazing, falling column, only for the two of them to find themselves trapped in a prison of the Station's own rubble.

He remembered submitting to the blazing embrace of death. What else could he do?

He was not a Water or a Ground Type who could manipulate the earth or the vapour to douse the flames.

Nor was he a Psychic Type who could teleport or move them away. Or a Fighting Type with muscles which could break and move the rubble?

No, how could he, a commonplace Normal-Type, a Zigzagoon do any of these things? How could he do anything but submit to what was stronger than him?

A cough. And then another. He remembered his body stilling as he felt her embrace him from behind.

His Trainer.

What happened next was quick.

She patted his head and scratched behind his ears for the last time.

A tap at the back of his skull. And then everything went black.

Zigzagoon remembered hearing screams and growls which drowned the inferno and everything else.

There was one other thing he heard though. Through the darkness of his Pokeball.

A familiar voice. A comforting voice. A voice he loved.

"YOU MUST LIVE!"

The next thing he knew he was on the streets, filthy and narrow. And he was staring up at the burning Grandview Station.

The Pokeball he appeared out of was intact but dead. The dulled red hue of its outer shell indicated that the ID of the Trainer it belonged to was dead.

She was dead.

And at that moment, he only knew one thing:

He must live.

"I swear I had nothing to do with this."

"So you have told me," the Head Nurse, one Ms. Amy Wilson spoke in a wry tone. I stood in her office as she gave me the reports on Zigzagoon's health. I was fascinated by her pink hair, which was straight and curled into loops, and her moniker of 'Nurse Joy of Opal Ward'.

There were two medical facilities in the Ward. The first was the underground one adjacent to the Battle Arena and the Starters Room. It was smaller and meant for more immediate first aid. The second, larger one was just outside the main building near the entrance. The Opal Ward Pokemon Center almost merged with the main Grand Hall complex, and it probably shared a roof as well.

The medical system here was interesting from what I could tell. There were two parallel, but separate and distinct branches of medicine here. First, there was the obvious but surprisingly small field of Human Medicine. And second, there was the much larger and more profitable Pokemon Medicine.

The field of Pokemon Medicine was big, extremely so, but it was not always the case. Originally, it was well overshadowed by Human healthcare. In the earliest days when the taming and training of Pokemon began to provide them, healthcare was not a very widespread concept. At best, they would try to feed them an assortment of berries which were known to have medicinal effects even back then. But that wouldn't always work, particularly on severe injuries which can leave a Pokemon handicapped.

That changed though, when a certain pink-haired Nurse started to actively research Pokemon health and physiology. The Mother of Pokemon Medicine. The first Nurse Joy.

Sources conflict on what her first name was. Some say it was 'Elizabeth', others 'Marie' and still others call her 'Rosalind'. Regardless, she became well-known in her time, and both her actions and her disciples lead to the foundation of the International Union of Pokemon Health. The IUPH was the main governing body associated with the distribution and training of medical personnel as well as the establishment of Pokemon Centers and Healing Stations.

And as tradition, the Nurse in charge of a Pokemon Center would dye their hair pink or wear a pink wig, becoming the 'Nurse Joy' of that centre.

"Still, quite the patient you've bought us," Ms Wilson said with a slightly depressed sigh. "The Type 4 Poisoning and hypothermia is one thing, but apart from that there are bruises, very recent ones and the type you get from being hit by something long, durable and hard," she frowned, "like a baseball bat or a pipe."

"Yeah, he's been quite roughed up hasn't he?" I said, scratching my neck.

"Yes, but that's not even the start of it," she said as she eyed her computer screen. "There are injuries here which are about a week old. Burns and muscle tears, likely from excessive movement by a Pokemon not trained for battle. And signs of asphyxiation from smoke it seems like."

My blood chilled at that. "Burns and asphyxiation? Was he…"

"In the Grandview Station Attack? Most likely yes," she nodded. "He must have escaped by the skin of his teeth." She paused for a second, typing something on her computer's keyboard before turning the monitor towards me. There was a photograph of a blonde girl on the screen, who seemed maybe in her early to middle 20s. She was pretty, had freckles, and her hair was tied in a ponytail. She seemed to beam at the camera, showing off a glittering row of white teeth.

"Miss Tara Adams. A photographer who had arrived here to take pictures of the state of the city. She is from Petalburg City in Hoenn," she said, her lips twitching into a sad expression. "She is one of the confirmed casualties of the attack, having arrived only a few minutes prior. The authorities recovered her body, it was found buried in the rubble."

Suddenly, I felt sick. I wanted to leave. But my legs were rooted.

"The body… what did they…"

"We don't have access to the City Cemetery right now," she said with a sigh. "There were… strange attacks in both Jasper and Beryl Ward. A pair of artificial forests popped up out of nowhere and ravaged the district," she paused, closing her eyes. "We plan to send most of the other bodies to their respective families, but Tara… she's a special case. She was an orphan. The magazine she worked for expressed regret, but couldn't facilitate anything for her. We couldn't find any family or acquaintances of her in Hoenn. We're keeping her in the Peridot Morgue for now, but…"

"Can I… claim her then?" I suggested in a small voice. The Nurse blinked in surprise.

"You… are you sure? You'll have to arrange for her funeral and everything."

"I…" I choked up a little. I could feel my heart pound, the pace of its thumps increasing. "I'll do it. I… I think I can."

Her face turned sympathetic. "It's okay. I'll talk to my superiors. At the very least, you shouldn't have to burden its costs," she paused. "Let's talk about what you can do though," she said in order to change the topic.

I found myself sitting straight. "Zigzagoon."

She nodded. "That's right. What exactly are your plans for him?"

I bit my lip. "Depends on his condition, I suppose."

"Once we're done with him, he should be fit and fine, better than he ever was. Particularly since—"

"I am not referring to his physical state," I cut in, and she winced at that.

"I am aware. Pokemon Psychology though… is a complicated topic, particularly here in Reborn." She leaned back on her chair. "Under normal circumstances, I would refer you directly to Dr. Connal. But…"

I blinked. "Connal?"

"Dr. Sigmund Connal," she clarified. "The…official Head Psychologist of Reborn City."

The what?

"I get titles like 'Head of Police' and 'Chief of the Fire Department'. But… Head Psychologist?" I asked, utterly baffled.

"I don't quite understand how he got that rank either," the Nurse said, a bit amused at my reaction. "But he did it. It never existed before, but somehow he managed to create that position exclusively for himself since his arrival in Reborn. He even has a cushy building in the Lapis Ward area. If things were normal, I would send you there and write you a recommendation to him, which is the proper procedure. But…."

"But?"

Ms Wilson paused for a second. "He gives me the creeps."

I blinked. That was… a strange reason. A weak one as well. But something told me it was genuine. "The…creeps?"

She nodded. "It's hard to believe… but something about him just feels…off," she shuddered. "The first time I met him was at a conference a few years back. And I… really wish I never had to see him again. Especially after—" She froze before shaking her head. "Never mind. You can go see him if you want. Or you can take my advice and not do so. It's your decision, in the end."

I bit my lip. Nurse Amy Wilson is a perfect stranger to me. I had seen her before, once or twice, but this was our first proper conversation. By all rights, I should be taking Zigzagoon to a trained professional. Pokemon Psychology was a surprisingly new and somewhat obscure field, and a 'Head Psychologist' would probably be able to provide ZIgzagoon better assistance for his trauma than I or Ms Wilson ever could.

But… something felt wrong. There was something in the way she put forth her opinion on Connal that unnerved me.

There was no basis for it. No evidence. Nothing stopping me from going north and meeting him. But…

"I'll take care of him. I'll take care of him myself," I said, in a more determined tone. The Nurse smiled at me.

"Good. I suppose you would be wanting some advice on how to help your traumatized Pokemon?"

There was something bitter on my tongue as I thought about that phrase. 'My Traumatized Pokemon'.

"Yeah, that would be quite helpful, I think."

"Right." She reclined on her office chair and swerved it to the side. Pulling out a set of papers from a photocopier, she passed it to me. "Pokemon Psychology is a very new field, and even I don't know much about it. Well, at least not the complicated stuff," she admitted. "These right here are a few pages on the basics of Pokemon psychology. It has some information on how a Pokemon's trauma should be treated as well as some of the fundamental concepts of psychology. It should prove to be useful even after you've helped the little Zigzagoon out."

I blinked. "Thank you," I said, my voice filled with gratitude. She beamed at me, pleased at my response.

"If you have any questions, you can ask them right away. Otherwise, I really should be getting back to work."

'I have so many questions….'

"No, it's fine Ms. Nurse," I said, abruptly getting up and starting to move towards the door. "I think I should pick up Zigzagoon right now, right?"

She nodded. "You should. He should be fully fit right about now." She stared at me for a second. "My door is open for you, you know. Come and visit whenever you can. You have my number," she said as she waved me off.

"I will," I said, as I left her office, closing the door behind me.

I could hear the sound of the door shutting behind me echo through my skull as I walked away.

I noticed there was a song of some kind playing in the background as I took my shower. It was probably coming from a neighbouring room.

The air of the bathroom steamed as I stepped out of the shower. I sighed softly, looking straight ahead and finding my own clouded face staring back at me through the mirror.

I reached out and grabbed a dry towel, then wiped the mist covering the glass to see myself properly.

It was me. I was the same as I ever was even before coming to this world. My fingers poked at the flab produced around my stomach.

Well, that should go away eventually.

My fist clenched. And I found myself wondering…

If I punched the mirror, what would the cracks show?

I almost laughed at that. My arm wasn't a prosthetic, so it would probably hurt a lot. Apart from that… who knows?

The communal bedroom in the Opal Ward Pokemon Center was empty, but I did not expect it to remain so by the time I left the following day. There was a bunk bed and a regular one as well, and I found myself seated on the latter. I stared down at the two Pokeballs in my hand. They were indistinguishable from any other Pokeball out there, so I made a mental note to try and get some stickers or something to make them stand out.

One contained Luffy, my partner. And hopefully my friend. It had been about a full day since I selected him in the Starters Chamber.

The other had my freshly caught Zigzagoon.

My Zigzagoon. At one point, I might have felt pride in having the first Pokemon I caught in my hands, but the phrasing felt wrong after learning about his history.

In reality, he shouldn't have been my Pokemon in the first place. Tara should have lived.

I rolled Zigzagoon's Pokeball in my fingers, wondering whether or not to release him. Pokeballs are pervious to some extent, allowing sounds and to a lesser extent smells to pass through. He likely knew I was there holding him, and I wondered what he was thinking.

Did he hate me? He probably did, now that I thought about it. Or he should, once he learns that I was caught in the explosion as well and I lived.

Why did I live?

I find myself collapsing on the bed, my breathing unsteady. My left arm went to my face, covering my eyes as I struggled to hold back tears. Composure. I have to maintain it. There was a problem in front of me I had to solve, after all.

I had 'appeared' on the train. It was as if I was teleported in, or at least that's what they told me. Then Ame appeared to interrogate me…

I felt my gut twist. Had Ame remained with the other passengers, would she have been able to save them as well? Had she not been distracted by my appearance, could she have stopped the bombing altogether?

It was impossible to know. But it was not unlikely…

My eyes flickered to the sheets of paper the Nurse had given me. They were strewn about on my bed, cluttering over my bedsheets. The information on it was fairly detailed, and I had spent most of the evening going through and studying the document, trying to understand what I can do for Zigzagoon. My messy scrawl littered most of the pages as I highlighted important points or took notes of miscellaneous information.

Pokemon were different from humans on a fundamental level. There were similarities, particularly from a psychological perspective, but differences as well. Apart from having significantly tougher, stronger bodies and the ability to heal themselves quickly, their minds were different as well, more resilient to stress and pain. It is this mental strength which allows them to enter into a state of battle mania and enjoy constant combat.

That is not to say that they are immune to trauma however, only more resistant. In reality, an event such as losing a loved one would affect a human just as much as it would a Pokemon.

This would mean that ZIgzagoon's main trauma would be mostly about losing his Trainer. And not about the attack itself.

That's still some heavy trauma, however. And without an idea of how things went down from Zigzagoon's perspective, it was nigh impossible to treat.

I turned my attention back to the papers. More specifically, one page on which Ms Wilson had printed out some methods I could use to make Zigzagoon more comfortable. Even more specifically, one method stood out the most.

I sat up and pointed one of the Pokeballs in front of me. In a flash of light, Luffy appeared in front of me chittering excitedly.

It seemed as if the events from a few hours back had not done much to dampen his spirit, which was good.

I found myself hunched over slightly. Luffy looked up at me from his position on the ground, tilting his head in confusion at my subdued attitude.

"Luffy… there is something I need you to do for me."

The Fire Chimp remembered being nervous during his Trainer's Starter Selection.

For most of his life, Chimchar remembered being in white, well-lit rooms with the scent of cleanliness infecting the air. These were the rooms he first saw when he hatched and the rooms he was raised and trained in. He gained the knowledge of humans first in these rooms, and he was given his role as a Starter Pokemon, a Pokemon for a new Trainer to begin their journeys alongside here.

He also made friends. His fellow Fire Types had formed a clique of sorts, and they got along well with each other. The Grass Types weren't bad company, and while the Water Types would pick fights with them, they weren't all that bad either. The humans responsible for preparing them were very friendly as well, as were the older Pokemon who would watch over them and ensure they didn't get into mischief.

And once in a while, one of their numbers would vanish alongside their new Trainer and be replaced by another of their species.

Chimchar was nervous the day Alex had come to select a Pokemon. But after seeing him for the first time, he was at ease. Comfortable, even.

Chimchar—now called Luffy—liked his Trainer. It was incomparable really, to anything he has ever felt.

Alex was a nice person. He didn't smile much, but when he did, Luffy liked it. He didn't talk much, but when he did, Luffy wanted to listen to him. Alex was smart, and he was ambitious. He wanted to become stronger, and Luffy did as well. And Luffy loved receiving Alex's praise or having his head patted by his Trainer.

Was this the bond between a Pokemon and a Trainer?

Luffy liked it. He wanted to protect it.

Which is why when he heard of that raccoon and his former Trainer…

"We have to help him, Luffy," Alex said, his face half-shrouded in shadow. "It's fine if he doesn't want to fight for us. That's okay. But I've read reports of Pokemon caught in accidents such as his. Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety… They… they end up in a bad place, Luffy."

Luffy wanted to help him. He wanted to help his Trainer help the Zigzagoon.

Luffy remembered the raccoon. He remembered him as small and weak, shivering in the bush, his body wounded and its expression ill. He also remembered the Normal Type's stubbornness which came in the form of half-answers and a reluctance to explain what had happened to it.

A few minutes later, they were outside, Alex passively explaining how they wouldn't want to make a mess of the room. A crescent moon hung overhead ominously as both Trainer and Pokemon found themselves in the same little courtyard from the previous day.

"Protect me, Luffy," Alex said, his expression concerned and a bit fearful as he pulled out the raccoon's Pokeball, expanding it to its full extent. "Stay by my side."

The Fire Type instantly went on guard, raising its arms in a boxer's stance, preparing itself for combat. He was well aware he wasn't the strongest Pokemon, but he was more than enough for an untrained, undisciplined rodent.

Alex pointed the Pokeball in front of him on the ground. A blinding flash of light and then a feral growl.

The Normal Type had lunged at his Trainer, and Luffy had jumped back, avoiding the use of its Scratch attack, instead pushing it back down. It tried again, only for Luffy to intercept it again.

Zigzagoon's speech was hoarse, wild and vicious. Luffy could not hear any words from the Normal Type, only an intent to harm and kill.

Luffy panted slightly. Zigzagoon was the clear inferior in this bout, but the raccoon's persistence was admirable. They had been jumping, pushing, and kicking for the past few minutes, and Luffy found it a unique challenge to not harm the Normal Type excessively. He eyed his Trainer, who was staring at both of them with a quiet gaze. Luffy was impressed by how unfazed his Trainer was by the messy combat.

Zigzagoon was panting, fatigued and struggling to focus. Luffy still had his guard up, prepared to go another round if necessary.

But then, Alex stepped forward.

Zigzagoon was immediately on guard, ready to pounce at any second. Luffy tensed as well, wondering what exactly his Trainer had planned.

But then, a photo fell on the floor, its backside stained by the dirt of the courtyard's grass. A blonde woman's beaming face stared upward.

Zigzagoon froze seeing her face, taking a step back.

"Tara Adams, 24. A photographer for some up-and-coming Hoenn nature magazine. And your Trainer," Alex said, kneeling on the floor to come closer to the raccoon's height. Luffy could only watch in fascination as the formerly determined Zigzagoon looked lost and broken, taking a step back as the human approached.

"I am not asking for you to fight for me. I am not asking for you to accept me as your Trainer." Alex seemed to hesitate. "A funeral. You are aware of what a funeral is right?"

Zigzagoon nodded. All Pokemon, at least those who were at one point in time under the care of a Trainer, knew what a funeral was. A human custom, to honour and say goodbye to their dead.

"We will have her funeral soon. Tomorrow, in fact. It's a.. a cremation." he said after some hesitation, causing Zigzagoon to reel back slightly. Alex offered a hand to the Normal Type.

"Would you like to be there?"

The raccoon seemed on the verge of tears.

In this world, plucked straight from my fantasies, there were a few things I was rather reluctant to learn about.

And one of them was the method and culture behind the last rites and funeral proceedings.

The Peridot Mortuary and Crematorium was a surprisingly small building consisting of a singular complex and an adjacent tiny yard where patches of grass grew around a singular large tree. It was smaller than the Morgue, but served its purpose well. A public hearse and, on occasion, an ambulance was used to transfer bodies to this place.

I looked at my watch as I walked down the pathway to the main building. 8:17. Right on schedule. Luffy and ZIgzagoon were walking right beside me. As I passed the yard, I noticed a small rectangular patch of land dug out. Likely the place where her ashes would be buried afterwards.

My attention went to Zigzagoon, who looked nervous and miserable. I had left both him and Luffy out for the night. Halfway through, I could hear his sobs and…

Quite frankly, it killed me to have her funeral be a cremation. But… I didn't really have any other option.

If there was one service in Reborn that was expensive at the moment, it was the cost of a funeral. The City Cemetery, located beyond the Jasper and Beryl wards, was responsible for at least 80 percent of all ceremonies conducted in the city. With its destruction, and incidents like the Grandview Attack, there was suddenly an inflow of bodies smaller institutions simply couldn't handle.

Which meant that bodies were either left rotting in morgues or had to be dealt with in person. There was even a case a few days back of some cadavers ending up in Azurine Lake.

In this world, an individual's last rites were a matter of choice. There were classical burials and cremations but also alternative methods such as open-air cremations on a funeral pyre, or even Viking-style ceremonies with a burning boat being released into the waters. The naturally cosmopolitan disposition of most societies has allowed such diversity in their methods to handle the last rites.

Unfortunately, I am utterly unable to find a method for Tara's funeral which won't parallel the way she actually died.

My financial situation aside, a normal burial is impossible in the current circumstances. Most of Reborn City outside the forests to the northwest is concrete, and the few patches of land which are available are either privately owned or protected by the law. A water-based funeral is out of the question considering the state of the Azurine Lake.

And so, that leaves fire as our only option.

An older man greeted me at the door. He was gruff and well-built, with white hair and a solemn face. He held himself with an aura of gravitas and dignity. He was dressed in worker's clothes with a shirt and a towel around his neck along with dusty cargo pants.

"You the kid then?" he asked in a deep voice. "The one who's holding that girl's funeral?"

I gulped slightly, looking down at Zigzagoon for a second. "I am."

The old man nodded as he walked away. The room was large and empty, and I could smell the whiff of ash and smoke in the air. There were a few benches at the side for observers, but the main portion of the central room was taken up by the large incineration device. It was many times the size of a man and was constructed with all kinds of materials and implants arranged together in a complicated fashion. It seemed old as well, portions of its overall structure—its pipes, vents and exposed areas—stained with rust and soot.

The lower portion of the machine had a conveyor belt-esque contraption leading to the inside of the incineration chamber. On the conveyor belt, a body was already placed, and her form was covered in a white sheet. Beside me, her former Pokemon let out a cry and moved towards her.

Zigzagoon was openly weeping now. He did not even try to climb up and see her.

"If you want to say your goodbyes, now is the time." The voice came from the old man. He had positioned himself behind the machine, alongside his Pokemon, a small Magby was seated on a stone stool.

I nodded and reached out with a shaking hand. The white shroud was soft and grainy to touch.

I pulled it off. Her skin was deathly pale, her features frozen and silent. The corners of her lips were twitched upward slightly, as if she were pleased by something, even in death.

Was it the fact that she protected her sole companion? I eyed the crying form of the Zigzagoon, Luffy standing beside him in a comforting silence.

I reached down and stroked his head slightly. The crying Pokemon froze for a moment before quietly leaning into my touch. Its black beady, tear-soaked eyes looked upward towards me, and I almost felt my carefully calm mask breaking.

"It's time. Would you like to see her?" I asked the Normal Type in a hoarse whisper.

He shook his head and I nodded. I wondered slightly why he wouldn't want to see her. Perhaps he does not want his last memory of her to be of her corpse? Regardless, it was his decision.

I reached out and grabbed the sheet to cover her face again before pausing.

I hesitated for a second, struggling to find the words. The thumping of my heart, its pace and its rhythm were the only sounds I could hear for a few seconds.

"I… I don't know you," I began. "I don't think we have anything in common apart from the Incident and… and your Zigzagoon. I can tell that you loved him very much though." I eyed the Pokemon who along with Luffy were looking up at me, calmly listening to my haphazardly constructed eulogy. "I… don't think I can match you in that regard. But I can try, at least. I can take care of him for you."

I paused. "I would like to think you were a good person though. I'd like to think I'm a good person. And… I think that will have to do," I concluded. "A goodbye from one good person to another who have never met each other."

I reached out to replace the sheet to cover her face and froze once more.

A strange, morbid thought came over me.

I closed my eyes and opened them again. And there, instead of her face, I saw my own.

And the body was alone.

I felt sick as I returned to reality to find her frozen visage staring upward once again.

A question came to me then, and I addressed it to the corpse in front of me as I covered her face:

'I am here for you, Tara Adams, and so is both your Pokemon and mine. But if our places were switched, would there have been someone there for me?'

I felt disgusted. I felt happy.

I stepped back, keeping my distance from the conveyor belt. I then looked the proprietor of the incinerator in the eye and gave him a stiff nod.

He nodded back. A lever was pulled, and the man made a gesture to the Magby who stood up and shot plumes of flames down a pipe.

The conveyor belt moved in a grinding, grating motion. As the body drifted into the incineration chamber a deluge of fire washed all over it.

We found ourselves seated on the bench, the Pokemon flanking me, watching the corpse be turned to ash.

I held Luffy and Zigzagoon close to me. They did not retreat from my touch.

And we watched the flames in silence.

A/N: Sorry it took so long, was away from my preferred PC for a considerable time. Nothing much to say really, apart from the fact that this was a bit of a heavy chapter for me to write.

The next chapter should come out in a week or so, tops.

Don't understand why he is going out of his way for a trash pokemon like zigzagoon, and it's not even the galarian one

Don't understand why he is going out of his way for a trash pokemon like zigzagoon, and it's not even the galarian one
In Pokemon Reborn there are no trash Pokemon. It might require grinding, luck and a shit ton of drugs but each one is useful and worth using.

Also, it's because he's not a dick.

In Reborn, you don't get any "good" pokemon until the late-game. It intentionally restricts wild and event encounters so you move up the meta tiers and are forced to work with "weaker" 'mons.

To illustrate my point: probably the earliest way to obtain Trick Room is Oranguru. After your 7th badge. Out of 18.

Even then, field effects allow a multitude of pokemon to find niches they simply couldn't in official games.

you might as well catch every single pokemon you can find since theyll be useful in a way later in battles. I tried only playing with 6 pokemon only and I got screwed over badly in one of the double battles.

Chapter 6
The bird which called itself the 'King of the Forest' was called by other monikers as well.

Tyrant. Wildie. Villain. Scum. My Lord. Blue-Feathered Bastard. And others, not all of them polite.

There was another moniker though, one much less commonly used. It was one which was bestowed upon the baleful bird when she was caught preening over her own feathers and wings, admiring them in the pool's reflection.

The Prideful One.

Hardly insulting. But it was probably the most accurate out of all of them.

The King of the Forest may have nothing to her name, but she did have her pride. The Bugs and the Birds and the Flowers could all see it in his expression. The air of smugness he carried with it. The smirks which would appear on her beak from time to time.

Its pride was justified, however, by its many great qualities and feats. To an experienced creature, they may be nothing, but to the sheltered inhabitants of the Garden, they were wondrous. Legendary, even.

Its wings were fluffier than clouds could ever be, and she could drift on them for a full week without getting tired.

Its song was melodious and powerful, and was capable of waking even the deepest sleepers.

Its strength was profound and notable, as it was capable of even driving off the past ruler of the area. The Human. The one the bird called Usurper.

And finally, but perhaps most importantly, the King's
dominance was unyielding.

The Bugs feared her.
The Birds followed her.
The Flowers shied away from her.

The King was an object of fear, strength and power.

And that was
good.

I could feel the eyes on me as I wandered through the labyrinthine streets of Lower Peridot Ward.

Perhaps it was my clothing that stood out. I was wearing what I had come to call my 'Trainer's clothes'—the ones I felt most suitable for outdoor use. It consisted of a blue and black hooded jacket made from a warm, waterproof material and a pair of dark track pants. The blue of my jacket tapered downward, creating an arrow design on my jacket, and I supposed that even though my apparel was second-hand, its quality and design attracted a lot of attention in the lower-class areas of Peridot.

I looked around as I wandered the streets which ran haphazardly eastward from 4th Street. They crisscrossed all over the southern section between Grandview Avenue and the Electric Type Gym, the misshapen buildings and crumbling structures forming one of the poorer areas of the city.

Nothing quite like what I hear about the Obsidia Slums, but pretty close.

I passed people as I ventured deeper into this decrepit area, most of them looking at me with a mixture of bewilderment and greed. I had guessed the presence of pick-pockets in this part of the city, and I was thankful for the Pokemon Center's reliable locker system and the fact that all my pockets, on both my track pants and jacket, had zippers protecting their contents. The fact that the residents here tended to avoid me was also a plus.

My hands were in my jacket's kangaroo pocket, my fingers brushing against the edges and contours of my Pokeballs.

Luffy's was still full, and, even in its shrunken form, I could feel my Starter's heat and life force pulsate through the mechanical device. The other was empty though, my first caught Pokemon right in front of me, sniffing the road and examining the asphalt, putting its super senses through its paces.

One thing I had quickly learned over the past days was that a Zigzagoon's tracking ability was immense.They may not be the best at combat, but they excel in foraging and searching for specific targets with a mixture of advanced sight and smell.

They weren't quite on the level of a Growlithe's, but they were close. And for the job I had undertaken, that was enough.

He steadied before turning towards a dark alleyway, snarling.

"Did you get the scent, Pace?" I asked the Normal type, kneeling down to his level. Two days had passed since the cremation, and he had improved immensely, even allowing me to grant him a nickname. He wasn't fully over… everything, but he was growing slightly every day. Becoming happier. More driven.

Pace growled slightly as he dashed into the alleyway, and I followed him closely. We took a turn, cutting through a dark and narrow passage shrouded by the shadows of the surrounding walls. A single door waited for us at the end.

Behind the door, I could hear a crying, whimpering sound. I tried to twist the doorknob to open it, but it would not budge, not even when I pushed my body against the door's panels. Despite its age, it seemed that the hardwood door was strong and sturdy. But my efforts to open the door did cause the crying of the creature within to cease.

"Hey! Can you hear me?" I said, banging on the door. "I'm here on request from your Trainer! I'm here to get you home, so stay in there for a sec—"

"Oi! What are ya doin' here?" A gruff, thuggish voice spoke from behind me.

Pace was already on guard, stepping forward to challenge the newcomers. A pair of men approached, blocking our exit out of the alleyway. Both of them were clad in drab, dust-ridden clothing and had prominent scowls on their faces.

"Are you the owner of this place?" I turned to face them, putting on the veneer of civility while also expanding Luffy's Pokeball in anticipation of a fight. I could feel his excitement through the metallic shell.

"Yeah, so what? What's it to you then?"

"I've been tasked with retrieving a lost Pokemon. A Minccino. I have strong reasons to suspect that the Pokemon is in your residence," I said plainly. I pointed to the doorknob with my thumb. "I would like to ask you to open this door so that I can ret—"

"I ain't hiding nothing in there! Get outta my property," one of the two men spat as he and his companion pulled out two battered Pokeballs. I sighed as I scratched the side of my nose with my index finger.

"Straight to the battle then? People are so quick to turn to violence these days… it's kind of disappointing."

I moved, my arm shooting outward as I took a few steps back to allow Luffy some room to appear. A flash of light blinded all three of us trainers for a moment, as the combatants for this fight were revealed.

Luffy emerged with an eager cry standing beside his partner. To their opposite, a Wingull and a Poochyena appeared, prepared for combat.

A Two versus Two match. A Double battle.

One look at our opponents this time around told me all I needed to know. Both seemed a bit too small and sickly despite their determined appearances.

"This is going to be quick," I muttered.

And so, the match began.

One of the thugs raised his arm for a command.

"Wingull, Water g—"

"Headbutt, Ember," I snapped my fingers, cutting in. I pointed straight ahead, and both of my Pokemon leapt into action. Pace jumped, lunging at the seagull and smashing his head against the bird while Luffy spat a torrent of flames at the Dark-Type.

One of the most important aspects in Pokemon Battling is Time. The simple intervals between a Trainer giving out a command and a Pokemon interpreting it can change the tides of matches. This is why at the highest level of battling commands tend to be as minimized as much as possible, outside of complicated instructions, necessary information, codes and secret strategies and techniques.

Time is even more important in a Double battle with two Pokemon to monitor and guide. This is especially the case in battles where a single Trainer is facing two opponents. In a way, the thugs I was fighting currently had an excellent advantage over me.

It was a shame I had no intention of letting them use it.

"Luffy, keep up with those flames. Pace, Tackle the bird and keep it on the ground. Don't give it a second to rest," I ordered. The Poochyena was practically unable to move due to Luffy's fire, while the Wingull was constantly knocked back by the force of Pace's strikes.

The thugs tried to urge their Pokemon to do something. They tried to order them to attack, but it was futile. The Wingull and Poochyena lacked the ability and experience to resist the opponent's moves, push through, then launch a counter attack, and the narrow passageway we fought in offered little space for them to dodge or pull back from the onslaught.

They were like a boxer pinned to the corner of the ring who could do nothing but try to resist the barrage of punches they were receiving and had no way to get out of this situation. Had the location of this battle been different, it could have been much closer to an even fight.

The battle lasted only about a minute from that point. It ended with my Pokemon a bit tired, but mostly unscathed. While the Poochyena and Wingull we faced had collapsed completely.

The thugs silently retreated their Pokemon and had worried expressions as they eyed my own. I could tell that they were embarrassed, but I could also tell that they were a bit fearful as well. Irrespective of their size, most Pokemon have the ability to do some serious damage to humans, and, in this situation, I held a dangerous advantage over them.

I rolled my eyes at them as I turned to face the door. I had no intention of hurting them, but there's no need for them to know that. Pointing at it with my thumb, I looked at the hoodlums.

"Hey, you guys got a key? Because I really don't want to break down that door to be honest."

"Thank you! Thank you, so much!"

"You're welcome. Though, please do take better care of your Pokemon," I said with a smile, sighing as I waved Minccino's Trainer off. As they left the Pokemon Centre, I heard my Pokegear ping. I opened the device up, relieved to see the notification about the payment reaching my account.

I walked to the jobs bulletin board to the side of the Center. It was called that, but really it was a big touchscreen television-esque setup. The screen was cracked in places, an indication of its age, but the Trainer ID scanner to the side seemed to work perfectly, so it wasn't yet replaced. As I stood in front of it, the on-duty Nurse Joy of Peridot waved at me.

"Taking another job, Alex?"

"If something good comes up."

I was quick to learn that the number one thing you need for a successful career as a Pokemon Trainer is money. And lots of it. As much as you can get, really. Everything associated with progressing as a Trainer and developing your Pokemon requires money—food, equipment, training gear, nutritional supplements, medical supplies, and even things like TMs which can add new tools to any Pokemon's arsenal require money.

Fortunately, I did have a stipend, a surprisingly decent one at that along with a considerable subsidy which allowed me to stay at Pokemon Centers and use their facilities for cheap. I also received a substantial 'signing on bonus' when I accepted Ame's contract, though I did spend it all on clothes and other stuff I needed. And while the stipend was sufficient for my current purposes, I was fairly certain once my Team grew, I'll probably need more funding to maintain everyone.

In this world, for a Pokemon Trainer, there were really three main sources for extra funds. The first and the most simple was Battling. Pokemon Battles were of three types: Informal Battles, Wagered Fights and Formal Battles. Informals were exactly what they sounded like, simple spars and duels with nothing on the line. Wagered Fights were like Informal Battles, but both Trainers put a certain amount of money or some other previously agreed-upon object on the line. Often, Pokemon and rare items could be won this way. Usually, you would need a neutral arbiter for a Wagered Match, or you could use the Pokemon League's Official Online Portal to set up such a bout.

And then there were Official Matches. The real moneymaker of the three.

Gym Matches and challenges to the Elite Four were Official Matches, as were battles in a Tournament setting. Each Official Match required tons of paperwork and was often accompanied by coverage by the media and significant-sized audiences. And almost all Official Matches were recorded and sent to various streaming services, where they could be watched at anyone's leisure. Usually, mere participation in an official match was accompanied by a considerable cash prize, and you could earn even more by winning your bouts. There was also gambling and betting often involved in battles, but that was definitely… something I'd rather keep away from.

Apart from combat, there was also selling things. While the legality of selling Pokemon was… sketchy in most regions, the sale of various Trainer's gear and rare items such as Evolution stones can be quite profitable. Fire Stones can go for thousands of bucks, and something like a Prism Scale can go up to millions. Of course, I had to go out and find those things first before trying to sell them.

And then there was the third. Which I could only describe as mercenary work.

Not everyone in this world was a proper professional Pokemon Trainer, and not everyone of that number was particularly skilled or talented. A lot of people with Pokemon were casuals, who kept them around for work purposes or companionship and only battled as a side hobby, if they battled at all. These people made up over 90 percent of the population of this world, and while Pokemon Trainers could be called the protagonists of this universe, it was the ordinary man who kept it running smoothly.

And these ordinary people needed help sometimes for various tasks. Perhaps there was a delivery to be made to a different town somewhere else. Or maybe a band of rogue Pokemon terrorising certain areas who needed to be dealt with. Or maybe some special berries had to be searched for in the forest.

A Trainer can accept all kinds of jobs such as these, in exchange for a fee which varies depending on the task. They were like Side Missions, so to speak.

A bit too gamey for my taste, but this was a system I was quite eager to exploit. In other regions, such as Kanto or Hoenn, I would probably be accepting these missions online where dedicated forums and platforms were set up. But here in Reborn, the Pokemon League seemed to lack the resources to properly set up such a system, and the low number of Trainers in the circuit disincentivized the potential of such a facility. Instead, 'bulletin boards' were established where people could submit requests and tasks to do. In some places, they were actual Bulletin Boards, but here it was a second-hand touchscreen system for some reason.

I sighed. For the last two days or so, I had taken many of the jobs in Peridot which seemed interesting and straightforward, and all that remained were jobs which were straight up out of my league. Though, I was fairly certain that a couple of these were trolling.

"Retrieve a Scarf from Tourmaline Dessert."

"Assistance needed in Rhodocrine Jungle."

"Need Dawn Stone! Will give Black Sludge in return."

"Lost ring in lake. Please dive in and retrieve it!"

I was an altruist, not a moron. I knew my limits all too well.

I sighed, turning away from the screen. It seems that there were no more jobs left that I could take, and it was only a little past noon. So… what should I do? Train maybe?

It wasn't a bad idea. I haven't had an exclusive training session with either of my Pokemon, since I was more focused on shoring up my finances and giving them more battle experience over the last few days. I also had a rough idea of how to develop both Luffy and Pace.

From where he stood now, Luffy had a lot of routes he could take to his development. Flame Wheel is a fantastic physical manoeuvre to develop its fire abilities, Taunt is useful in disrupting an opponent's strategies, Power-Up Punch can act as a stepping stone before his evolution and Fury Swipes is a straight upgrade on Scratch.

In contrast, Pace's development path was straightforward, at least until evolution or I can get my hands on a TM or two. Improve his physicality, and pick up Pin Missile to give Pace some range. Once he's grown enough, I'll try teaching him Rest or Belly Drum.

I find myself walking to the side of the Pokemon Centre, looking up habitat lists on my phone. I find myself sitting on a cushioned chair in the Centre's waiting room, taking notes while doing my research. I had a few ideas on Training my team and had previously narrowed down a couple of Training spots. But before I got to Training them up though, there was one other thing I wanted to look into: a Third Team member.

A third teammate would add to the overall dynamic of my team. Apart from increasing the strength of my roster and enhancing the number of options available to me, a third way to properly achieve mastery.

Unfortunately, there weren't really many good options for future Teammates in the Peridot-Opal area. There were the common species in Poochyena, Rattata and Yungoos which I wanted to avoid since I already had Pace. There were also a couple of Flying-Types which I can try and look for in Pidove and Pidgey. The former was a bit lacklustre, but the potential of a Pidgeot was quite tempting. In terms of raw potential in flying speed, Pidgeot was arguably in the top 10 of all currently discovered species, only surpassed by pseudo-legendaries like Dragapult or Dragonite or the rare Aerodactyl. However, this speed is usually best manifested in terms of travelling time rather than in combat, which was a bit disappointing.

Which left the bugs.

Out of all bugs I know that are available to me, Pineco was probably the best. I knew that a particularly docile bunch lived in the courtyard and areas around the Grand Hall. Defensively strong and sturdy with the potential to be excellent in battle even at higher levels. And Fortress' Steel/Bug Typing was superb.

The only problem was that Pineco were a pain to train. Its offensive potential and speed were negligible, so apart from their self-harming Self Destruct and weak Tackles and Bug Bites, I had no chance to train it to actually do something. So apart from it being an emergency meat shield, it wasn't really good at anything until it picked up things like Spikes and Gyro Ball. The fact that it doesn't have a reliable source of healing was also something hampering it from being actually worthwhile.

So what to do? Perhaps I should focus on Training?

"Ah, excuse me, Mr. Tektonius?"

Oh wait, that's me, isn't it? I looked around for a second, spotting the Nurse calling me from the counter. She held a telephone receiver in her hand, which she placed down as I approached.

"Right. A job has just arrived, and we would like you to take it."

"A job?" I asked curiously. "What is it?"

"Hmm… I am not sure about the exact details," she admitted. "Mr. Seacrest just asked for a decent Trainer to come as soon as possible. He sounded like he was in a hurry, so it might be an emergency," she sighed and waved me off. "You're probably the best Trainer here or at least the most willing to take this job. So you should go speak to him and figure out what he wants."

A bit out of the blue, that was certain. But I didn't really have anything to lose from going there at least. It could be an unexpected opportunity, after all.

Gareth Seacrest was an… interesting individual to say the least.

The old man was small, thin and wispy, but held himself with dignity and confidence. He looked to be close to his seventies, and he greeted me with a firm handshake, his frail hands holding a surprising amount of strength. His posture was hunched over slightly, his head was bald and he had a moustache and a beard which gave him a sophisticated appearance. As I took a seat in front of him, in the front area of the apartments he ran, I went over everything I knew about the man.

He was somewhat wealthy from what I could tell, owning a construction company and being the proprietor of a few residential apartment blocks. I had heard of him before in passing when I first ended up in the Peridot area, and he seemed to have considerable influence in the local community. He was probably best known for his famous garden, which was almost an oasis in the wasteland that was Reborn City.

There were parks scattered throughout the city, often sandwiched between the great grey towers of the urban landscape. However, most of them were tiny and shoddily maintained, often turning into decrepit empty pits of space that people tended to avoid. They would become abodes for stray, wild Pokemon and meeting spots for delinquents, hoodlums and even dangerous criminals.

Seacrest's Garden was different though. Elaborately designed and carefully maintained, the old man had spent a considerable amount turning his own private land into a flourishing little space where Bug and Grass Types resided happily. Considering the toxicity of the surrounding areas, it was a bit wondrous frankly.

And this Garden was the reason why Mr. Seacrest had called me here.

"A Pest has invaded my Garden," he said fuming. "Catch it, drive it off, do what you want. Just get rid of it."

I stared for a second, a bit surprised at the hostility from the man.

"Can you tell me more about this… pest then? I can't exactly move against it without more information…"

He nodded and sighed.

"She showed up a few days back. And since then everything in the garden has gone to hell." He closed his eyes, making a displeased expression. "Initially I was hoping that I could incorporate her into the local flock. But she's proven to be too wild and too territorial for anything. She's created divisions in the gardens, and has converted the birds which used to converge there into her own little gang."

"And who is this…'she' exactly?"

"A Swablu. When I first saw her I thought that she would be a fine Pokemon, docile like the rest of her sort. But she's become nothing but a pain."

A Swablu! Now that's a good Pokemon. Altaria were very strong defensively and had useful utility moves like Sing and Perish Song, while also having the coveted Dragon Typing as well. It is also notable as the Pokemon that can learn Dragon Dance the fastest, giving it sweeping potential. But…

"I haven't heard any reports of migration or anything like that in the area. And I am fairly certain Swablu is not a common Pokemon in this area. Where did Swablu come from?" I inquired.

The old man brushed his beard for a moment, reclining on the sofa. "From my understanding, there was a rather large flock up north. In the northern area of Malchous Forest, extending all the way upwards to Rhodocrine. It usually stuck to the northwestern edges of the forest, the areas which were at a higher altitude in the mountainous zones." A thoughtful look appeared on his face. "I would imagine the Outgrowth attacks up north must have damaged the ecosystems there, causing this one to flee here."

Ah, the Outgrowth Attacks. One of the many names given to the spontaneous outgrowth of trees in the two significant residential wards north of here, Beryl and Jasper. It had been sudden, swift and devastating. Peridot had become drastically overcrowded as a result of the resulting migration of humans from that area, and the fallout was unfathomable. I had even heard rumours of a cult starting, claiming that Zygarde or Virizion or Shyamin had descended and decided to punish humans for their transgressions.

Nonsense. But fearful nonsense. And nonsense worth turning to in the absence of decent answers.

Still, it affected the Pokemon population as well? That was something new but not particularly surprising.

"What exactly do you want me to do?" I asked cautiously. "Would you like me to catch her then?"

"That would be wonderful. Frankly, I don't particularly care what happens to the bird as long as it stays away from my field," he admitted. "I would try driving it away myself. But me and Herdier are long past our primes, and considering the birds that try to help her…"

He sighed once more, and suddenly, his age became more pronounced, his wrinkles standing out on his tired face.

There were signs there though. Signs that he was once powerful and influential. The way he carried himself. The way others treated him. Reborn was a crime-ridden hellhole, but his lands were relatively undisturbed. But all that power and influence had vanished in the wake of his ageing body and mind.

All that remained was an old man seeking solace in the quiet garden he had crafted for himself.

I stared outside of the window at the tranquil garden. Even from a distance, I could tell how alive it felt. How much devotion and investment Seaworth had put in there. It was a carefully maintained, closed ecosystem. Normally, in the wilds, Pokemon are not unlike actual animals, as they would happily eat each other for sustenance. But Seacrest's garden on the other hand…

"What I have developed is not anything special," the old man said as he guided me through the paved road. The garden was small and in a rectangular shape, flanked by buildings on all sides. The path we were on branched off in two directions, forming a T-shape. One end lead to a small pond, the other towards a tiny grove of three to four fruit trees.

"There are installations like this everywhere, even here in Reborn, but also in other regions abroad," he explained as we walked to the grove. "Most Pokemon are roughly equal in how sentient and intelligent they are. As long as their needs are met, they won't harm each other. With a mixture of the fruit from the trees, feeding insects and worms and my own personal feeding stations, everyone here is able to live in relative harmony."

"Has the Swablu harmed—erm… eaten anyone yet?"

"Not yet. It has so far been fine feeding off the fruits from the trees. But I feel it is only a matter of time, considering how nervous he makes the others."

He raised his hand, showing off a patch of tall grass to his side. I observed a bit closer, the grass rustling and moving both by the brush of the gentle dusk breeze and by the motion of the creatures living within. I could see a few tiny grass types, an Oddish and a couple of Sunkern staring at me nervously as they basked in the evening sun. There were a bunch of Bug-types as well, a Scatterbug and a Weedle scooching across the grassy ground. They seemed tired as if they had just come back from running a marathon.

"The Bugs here are particular targets of Swablu's harassment," Mr. Seacrest said with a grim look on his face. "She chases them down around the garden for her own amusement."
I didn't know how to respond to that, apart from the slight feeling of disgust and a sense of foreboding passing over me.

I liked the idea of having an Altaria, sure, but from the sounds of it, this Swablu was a menace. If I had a stronger party, then maybe I can probably force it to submit. But where I stand right now, can I afford to try and tame this one?

Well, if I fail, there's always the option of putting it up for adoption.

"There. It usually hangs around that central tree." Mr. Seacrest pointed it out to me. "Watch out though. There are other bird Pokemon whom she has bullied into being her followers."

I walked towards the grove, carefully holding Pace's Pokeball. While I would have loved to use Luffy here, its flames would have probably harmed the garden. And that would definitely put me in the bad books of both Seacrest and the Pokemon who lived here.

So I had to rely on Pace. Pace was decently strong, but I was a bit unsure on whether or not it could take on Swablu in its own territory. Pace's moveset was limited as well, especially for hitting a flier. But Swablu are not particularly quick, which makes hit-and-run tactics out of the question. Hopefully, Pace could outmanoeuvre her.

I took a step. I could hear the crunch of grass beneath my running shoes as I stared at the tree, looking for my target.

Another step. And I froze. I could see their many eyes nestled between the leaves, staring at me. A stranger, come to invade their territory. I observed that they occupied only the trees to the side, leaving the centre one alone.

One more step. The shadow cast by the grove's canopy seemed to fade. The multitude of singular eyes condensed, and now I can see pairs. They are still, utterly so, as if some instinct provokes them to watch. And only watch.

Further. The shadows fade entirely. And I could see birds. I could see Greys and Browns and Yellows, my eyes casting a cursory glance at all of them. A quick count gives a little over a dozen avians staring down at me.

I bring out my Pokeball, and they tense up. They know what I am. A Trainer. I can only wonder what they thought of me though.

A threat or a liberator?

Another step.

And I feel the wind brush my cheeks.

Seacrest's tormentor descended from its perch. She was small but fierce, a fact evident by how quickly the atmosphere around me changed. It was as if everything shied away from her, a nucleus of fear for the inhabitants of the garden.
She landed on the ground with a poised landing, her cloudy wings arcing gracefully as she glared at me.

Her gaze was determined. Painfully so.

Pace's Pokeball hummed in excitement. Luffy's surged in warmth. Both were excited to meet this new foe, though I was aware that the latter was a bit disappointed I wasn't going to be using him in this encounter.

One hand went towards his Pokeball as I held it tenderly in an attempt to soothe my starter. I pointed Pace's expanded Pokeball towards the Flying type in front of me. My excitement spiked as I declared in a confident voice:

"Swablu! I challenge you to a fight. One versus One! One of my partners against you!"

The Cotton Bird Pokemon was taken aback for a moment.

It paused. And then I could see a smirk appear on its beak.

Excited chirping burst from the bird, as it fluttered its wings and began to float in front of me. Its gaze became sharper and it seemed more ready.

I paused for an instant. My heart was thumping wildly in excitement.

A third teammate.

If everything goes well, I will have a third teammate.

With that hope in my heart, I threw my Pokeball. Pace jumped out with a bark of enthusiasm.

And the battle began.

A/N: Third Teammate incoming! I'll probably give more information about my thought process regarding… everything about this in my next chapter.

Sorry for taking so long, by the way! Wow, it's almost been a month hasn't it? Initially I was planning on releasing this chapter earlier, but I'm actually moving to another country next month for Uni, so I have to deal with… everything about that. The pace of my writing has slowed down substantially as a result, but I can confidently tell that the next chapter should be out very soon. It's mostly complete, but I need some last minute touchups.If I had to give a release date… I'd say about 15th or 16th August.

Speaking about touch-ups, I am looking for Beta-Readers right now! Cat_and_crow (who Betad this chapter as well, thanks for that!) is excellent, but I figured more feedback wouldn't hurt as I want my stories to be as perfect as possible. There are three very simple requirements for this: You must be familiar with Pokemon Fanfiction in general (and Self-inserts in particular), you must have read through the story upto this point, and You must have played through and be familiar the Reborn main story. If you meet all three requirements feel free to shoot me a PM and we can talk it over. It's great if you have a Discord as well, to discuss this on. I'll probably stop when I get one or two more Betas, but we'll see.

Nothing is set in stone.

And with that, I'll see you around! Feel free to comment and like, every little scrap fuels my desire for attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back