• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Summary;
Tsukino is a single woman living alone. By day she works as a secretary to a large...

JonathanAnubian

Alor be Cin'sara aliit.
Summary;
Tsukino is a single woman living alone. By day she works as a secretary to a large company. By night she is a lesser known digital designer for DMMO-RPG games. Yggdrasil has been her DMMO of choice for the last twelve years, with its wealth of creative freedom and unique player base.

Spending the last few moments logged into the game she doesn't realize her life is about to be flipped upside down when she is teleported to a world where magic is very real.

A tale of one woman, her companion, and their quest to stop the evil of Ainz Ooal Gown.

Pairing;
Female OC/Male OC​

Last edited:
Chapter 1
Chapter 1

Walking amongst the white trees of the Forest of Eternal Autumn a lone woman stared up at the swaying red canopy above and let out a sigh. "The last day, huh?" She asked no one in particular, the bells on the end of her vestments jangling softly as if to accent the lonely silence that followed.

Her skin, white as snow, was a stark contrast to the long scarlet red hair adorned by a delicate crown decorated with rainbow moonstones. Her face was painted with medium purple above her pink eyes with silver eyeliner and dark red over her lips. Along her elongated ears were white gold piercings where star sapphires hung from dainty chains. With a glowing staff in her hands and long flowing fabric falling from her arms she was the very picture of a divine oracle, the likes of which could be found only in paintings or High Fantasy DMMOs.

Tsuki-no-Uranaishi, Tsuki for short, hummed to herself in triumph as she finally came upon the area she had been looking for. It was a lovely little clearing with a cliff on one side that had a clear view of the open sky.

Sitting upon a large stump made exactly for that purpose she stared out at the vast night sky. Leaning forward with her elbows on her knees and chin in her hands she let out a frustrated huff. "Twelve years of my life, all for this."

Shaking her head to clear it she opened the Menu and scrolled through her friends list. As each name passed she felt her irritation rise. "None of you were very loyal in the end, what a joke…" Closing the Menu she jumped up from the stump and paced back and forth before stopping in her tracks.

The people who had been her so called 'friends' may no longer be available but she did have someone who had been with her almost since the beginning.

Holding out her hand imperiously she used a spell that very few in the entire game had been granted. "Bound Protector: Fallen Paladin!"

In a flash of black lightning a two meter tall figure appeared, black feathered wings unfolding to reveal a knight. Dressed in a mix of white vestments with blood red runes and black armor the man knelt before her, bowing his head.

While the NPC could not speak Tsuki could almost hear a masculine voice in the back of her mind; 'you summoned me, my Lady?'

She knew that the NPC could not actually hear her, or respond to her words, but she didn't care. "Come, Rodrach, attend me while I divine the stars." The flowery words came from her easily, having practiced for a long time to get her character just right.

Now with an 'audience' she knelt delicately on the ground and laid her staff beside her. From her inventory she pulled a midnight blue fabric that shimmered with soft blues, greens, and pinks. It was a rare drop from the Aurora Moth Queen in the Void Chasm dungeon. While most people sold the item or used it in high tier cloaks she had gone out of her way to find an accessory shop and turned it into a beautiful square shawl. Stitched in Lunar Silk thread was a 'Divine Circle,' the most basic casting circle for a mage that worked with Holy magic.

Laying the shawl out on the ground in front of her she pulled out a silver and crystal chalice, setting it in the center of the fabric. Lastly she pulled out a bottle of Moonlight Ambrosia wine and filled the chalice with the cool icy blue liquid.

'Ah, I wish I could get drunk.' She thought to herself as she put the wine back into her inventory.

Now with everything 'set' she began her final performance, the last little hurrah, before the servers shut down for good.
"Oh night sky, oh celestial ones- allow this humble priestess a glimpse beyond the veil. May the moon impart her wisdom on this humble follower." She called out toward the open sky, raising her arms as if in prayer. When she was finished speaking she lifted the chalice and brought it to her lips. Although she couldn't taste the liquid she saw the effect on her stats as she gained a boost to her Special for the next hour.

Finished with her little game she checked the clock, only a minute left.

Turning toward her companion she was filled with a deep sadness. "You know, Rodrach, you are the only one who's been loyal to me, who's stayed by my side and never let me down." 'That might be because you're only an NPC though…' "And you know what? I think that might be what I love about you the most."

Her NPC stood there, silent as ever, as she turned back to look up at the false sky.

'If only this were my real life.'

She glanced at the clock once more and let out a sigh.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6,

She closed her eyes. If she could cry she would have.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1…

The Server shut down and the world went silent.

1, 2, 3-

Pain wracked her body and she gasped as her vision swam. Crumpling forward, arms around her stomach, she felt something cold splatter across her legs and shivered from the sudden icy chill. She coughed violently, why was it so hard to breathe suddenly?

"My Lady!" A deep rumbling voice called out to her, sounding almost panicked.

Something warm embraced her, lifting her up, and she huddled closer to ward off the chill. "Hold on, my Lady, I'm here. I won't leave your side, I swear it."

Blinking through the dark blur she thought she saw two bright stars made of ethereal blue light.
Then her world went completely dark.

Last edited:
Chapter 2
Chapter 2

Everything ached.

This was the first thought Tsukino had as she slowly clawed her way back to consciousness.

It wasn't the kind of ache that came from a night of drinking with the corporate elites, their grasping hands at times causing uncomfortable barely there bruises on her skin. The kind she hid with fitted long sleeved jackets the next morning at work. It also wasn't the ache of staying still for hours curled over her designing table, stylus in hand as she painstakingly added detail to a new outfit or item.

It was the kind of ache that came after your body fell asleep, where you felt like a newborn who wasn't quite in control of their own limbs.

Letting out a small groan she opened her eyes. Only to immediately shut them as intense color and light stabbed into her skull, sending her reeling.

"My Lady, you are finally awake." A deep rumbling voice that was somehow stern yet warm reached her ears and she stiffened in confusion.

She didn't remember inviting someone to her apartment the night before. Especially not one that would call her 'my lady.' Of the paltry one night stands she'd had the last ten years none of them had ever been privy to her personal fantasies or double life in Yggdrasil. At least… that's what she'd thought.

"Wha-" She tried to speak but it came out as a rasp, making her cough harshly. Wincing as her chest ached she tried to roll over to alleviate the pain but found a warm hand against her collarbone, gently holding her in place.

"You shouldn't move yet, my Lady. You are not yet well." The voice said in a tone that sounded mildly concerned. Something pressed against her lips and she startled. "It is only water, my Lady, to quench your thirst."

Trusting the gentleness of the voice she drank the temperate liquid, letting out a sigh of relief as the sticky grit in the back of her throat loosened.

"Thank you." It was only proper to show her gratitude.

There was a small huff of air as the figure next to her shifted, the sound of something being set down beside her on the grass.

'Odd,' she thought to herself, 'did I always have this accurate of hearing?'

"It is no trouble, my Lady. I am your loyal servant. From the moment I first laid my eyes upon you, until the moment all becomes dust." Came a low rumble, intense yet warm.

Her breath hitched in her lungs.

No. It couldn't be-?

Forcing her eyes open she turned her head and looked up at the figure leaning over her. A gust of wind rustled the canopy of trees above them, the crystals and gems of her regalia clinking together musically in her ears.

Ethereal blue eyes stared down at her as perfect lips quirked upward slightly at the edges.

"Rodrach-?"

The contest was as simple as it was convoluted- just the kind of thing the developers of Yggdrasil liked to throw at their player base seemingly for their own entertainment.

Design a brand new set of armor based off of a contradicting and vague description for a special event that would be coming in the near future.

The rewards for fifth to second place were listed on the contest post, with each tier gaining the previous tier's rewards plus something new. While first place had a secret 'extra' prize.

Gripping her stylus in hand a wide grin crossed her face as she adjusted her glasses. It looked like a worthy challenge for someone of her talents and she was eager to see how she measured up to the other self-proclaimed DMMO Designers.

Tying back her long hair and making sure she had a pot of tea on hand she set about looking through image after image of pre-existing armor types in the game. Working far into the night she only stopped when everything became a blur and her mind refused to function any longer.

It took her days of research, careful consideration, hiding sketches at work from the prying eyes of her boss or his cronies, and bouts of mild insanity prompted by lack of sleep. But finally, finally, she had her idea.

The armor itself was a cross between what she'd seen of Arthurian Knights, both historically accurate depictions and fantastical ones- Renaissance styled Vestments from the Catholic Church, the ones with the detailed brocade- and images of extinct birds, primarily large raptors like the Harpy Eagle.

When interviewed later for her winning submission she would chalk everything up to her persistence and the small community of fans that had supported her. But the truth was that she had no idea how she'd been able to pull everything together so well. At that point she'd been running on caffeine, insomnia, and sheer determination.

With her win came the much anticipated secret reward. If she'd been in her actual body she was certain she would have been vibrating in place from excitement.

What was the reward?

A personal, free to summon at any time with no mana cost, NPC follower-companion dressed in the armor she had designed.

She had near about fainted when presented with the scroll that would permanently bind the summon to her account.

She named him Rodrach Astragoth, a nod to an obscure king from an ancient people, and he had been with her ever since.

"Are you still feeling unwell, my Lady? Would you like me to attempt another healing spell?" Blinking she came back to herself and looked up into concerned blue eyes.

Was this a dream? Some kind of cruel joke? Her body hurt far too much for this to be some new update for the game. DMMOs didn't have the ability to allow players to feel pain. If someone passed out while in a game the system itself would sense the lack of active brain waves and auto-log a player out. After all, it was illegal to keep a player logged into a game without their permission or consent. There were heavy penalties if such an accusation was considered legitimate, which was something most game companies wanted to avoid.

Finding her voice she decided to just play along. Without knowing what, exactly, was going on she decided that falling into her persona as Tsuki-no-Uranaishi was probably best. So she locked down her emotions and pulled on her years as an active roleplayer to project a false serenity she wasn't actually feeling. "I will be fine momentarily." She said confidently yet quietly.

Slowly rising into a sitting position she brought up her hands and flexed them in her lap. Pale slender fingers with long painted nails moved exactly as she willed them. Closing her hand into a fist she felt the points dig into the flesh of her palm and let out a small gasp as one of them punctured the skin, a drop of coppery blood welling up.

Turning away from the confusing sight she looked toward Rodrach, who was watching her intently. "Where are we?" She kept her voice politely inquisitive.

The man frowned slightly and shook his head. "I was focused on your wellbeing and have not had a moment to survey the area." He admitted, gloved hands clenching against his thighs. "But wherever we are now it is certainly not the Forest of Eternal Autumn. The trees alone make that impossible."

Looking around she took note that the forest was definitely not the one she had been in before the server shut down. The trees were primarily dark brown with a range of bright to dark green leaves. A far cry from the silvery white bark and crimson leaves of the Forest of Eternal Autumn.

Placing her hand on the ground in order to stand she froze when she was met with something silky instead of grass. Glancing down she realized she was laying on Rodrach's cloak. "Your cloak! It's going to be dirty now." She said in surprise and a little dismay.

The man let out an amused chuckle. "Not to worry, my Lady, mere dirt cannot besmirch holy relics." He assured her as he got to his feet and held out his hand for her to take.

Placing her hand in his she was not prepared for how easily he lifted her to her feet. Her face flushed red as he bowed over her hand, like how she envisioned a proper knight would.

Taking his cloak off the ground he flicked it, scattering whatever dirt and grass might have been clinging to it, before throwing it over his shoulders and attaching it to his armor.

Standing there, uncertain what to do, she wondered if she could get away with opening the Menu in front of her… well he didn't exactly act like an NPC at the moment so she wasn't sure what he was. Follower? Companion? She would go with companion for now.

Glancing at him from the corner of her eye she attempted to open the Menu. It failed. She tried an emergency system shut-down next. Nothing. The Chat, the Menu, the System, none of it was working.

"My lady?" Startled she looked up at the two meter tall armored man and swallowed her nerves. "You are shaking, is it the Moonlight Ambrosia? When the chalice spilled it coated your garments." Looking down at her clothes she saw the icy blue soaked into the lower part of her over-robe. As she moved the air around the blue stains created a trail of vapor. Holding her hand close to it she could feel how it gave off a deep chill and shivered.

"Moonlight Ambrosia's effects only last an hour, once it loses its chill it should be easy to… wash out." It felt odd to say. All things considered the stains themselves should not even be there. If a player splashed another with a potion the 'liquid' would vanish, even if the effect remained.

"My Lady, if I might offer a suggestion- perhaps you should change clothes." Surprised she glanced back at him and caught the concerned frown on his face once more. It was obvious that he was worried about her well being.

And why shouldn't he be? She'd designed him to be that way when she wrote his backstory. The Half-Angel Paladin who lost his grace because he fell in love with the High Priestess of an opposing sect of worshipers. Namely, herself.

"Perhaps, but I am… a little disoriented from whatever happened to… us." If he System and other Menus weren't working then how was she supposed to get into her Inventory? It wasn't like she had a second outfit just lying around wherever here was.

"It certainly was a strange phenomenon." The man said with a nod. "Do you think a rival magic user somehow interfered with your ritual?"

For a moment she was at a loss. What was he even talki- oh! Right before the servers were slated to shut down she'd held one last 'ritual' for the fun of it. Just for one last pleasant memory in the game.

Did that mean Rodrach remembered things that happened before he became so… alive?

"I don't know." She said honestly, crossing her arms over her chest and hunching in on herself a little. This whole thing was really strange and unsettling.

A warm hand brushed some of her hair away from her face and she turned to her companion in surprise. "We'll find out what happened, my Lady, the Goddess will guide us." He said with confidence.

Feeling at least some of her nerves easing she smiled. "You're right, I'm being foolish." She shook her head, twitching as the chains hanging from her long ears clinked together loudly.

"I would never call you foolish, my Lady." The man said with an almost playful smile. "Now then, I believe it would be in our best interest to find out where we are. Or at the very least scout the area for potential dangers." His expression turned serious, blue eyes sharp. "Will you be alright by yourself here?"

Putting on a brave smile that she was pretty sure missed the mark, she nodded. "I will be fine. I have my magic." Except she had no idea if that was true or not. But if her companion was somehow something sinister, which she doubted but couldn't quite ignore, then being alone gave her a chance to investigate for herself.

"As you say, my Lady. But do not hesitate to summon me back to you if something happens." He said seriously.

"Of course." She hesitated for a moment as he turned away. "Come back safely."

The man gave her a wide smile, his eyes softening as he gave her a short bow. "As you wish."

Beneath his cloak a pair of black wings shot outward where none had been before and she marveled at just how large they were in person. Normally they had a very stilted animation cycle but here she could see every small twitch of the muscles as they flexed. Without another word the man launched himself up into the air with a snap of powerful wings.

Then he was gone, and she was left alone.

Once she could no longer see her companion Tsukino collapsed onto her knees, staring down at her trembling hands. A hysterical laugh bubbled up from inside her chest but she forced herself to swallow it.

Running her hands over her body she realized that she could feel every small touch or sharp sting of pain, something that had been impossible before. When she was finished examining herself she came to a horrible understanding- she had become her avatar. Somehow her mind had been transferred to a living body that was an exact copy of her character from her favourite DMMO-RPG. It took her much longer than she'd like to admit to finally calm the raging panic that swept through her at this realization.

"Impossible." Even her own voice had been altered slightly. It sounded younger and more refined somehow. Maybe it had something to do with her race?

Oh. Oh no. Her race! She needed to find a mirror!

She glanced around wildly for a moment before clicking her tongue in frustration. She was in the middle of a forest, why had she been expecting to find a mirror?

"Stupid." She grumbled, berating herself.

Standing on shaky legs she brushed her hand down her clothes to clean them of the clinging grass and dry dirt. She really needed to get hold of herself.

"Okay. First thing's first- magic is real." She said aloud, trying to convince herself that she wasn't just cracking down the middle from stress at work. "If magic is real logically that means I should be able to use it now too, right?" Taking a calming breath she picked up her staff and gave it a critical look.

Clearing her throat she lifted the staff into the air, the crystal orb on top reflecting the light around her like a prism. It looked like she was standing in a circle of multi-colored light, which had been a special effect she'd bought specifically for that reason. "Lesser Detect Aura!" She called out, tapping the butt of her staff on the ground for emphasis.

Instantly she felt a tingling around her eyes and gasped as the forest lit up around her. Outlines of creatures big and small moved around her, though she couldn't quite tell how far away they were. It was disorienting and even when she closed her eyes she could still sense where everything was around her. It almost made her feel sick.

"Cancel!" When the spell stopped immediately she let out a sigh of relief. It was good to know that she could stop at any time if something went wrong.

"My Lady." Jumping slightly she looked towards the sky as Rodrach returned, far more silent than she would have expected from someone with such large wings. Landing a short distance away he dipped forward into a short bow. "I have returned."

"Rodrach, welcome back." She smiled politely. "Was your scouting mission successful?"

"It was. To the north-east, past a small lake, there appears to be a city. We might be able to get some answers if we question the locals."

"That sounds good to me. The more we know the faster we'll be able to figure out what happened to us." Us. Because Rodrach was now seemingly a living being. With his own thoughts and feelings.

"As you say, my Lady. Shall we?" Rodrach smiled and a wave of calm hopefulness flowed into her. Without meaning to she felt herself relaxing further in his presence.

'Right, even Half-Angels have a Passive buff to strengthen nearby allies, don't they?'

"Lead the way." She ordered delicately with a wave of her free hand.

Following just behind her companion Tsukino looked up at the sky. For now she would just have to take things as they came. If this was some kind of dream then she knew she would eventually wake up. So for now she decided to enjoy it while it lasted.

It wasn't like she had anyone to complain to about her abnormal situation anyway.

Last edited:
Chapter 3
Chapter 3

Walking through a forest was more difficult than she had first thought. It wasn't like Yggdrasil with its tricky terrain that required items, ingenuity, and determination, but it was still a little frustrating. She was thankful for Rodrach as he helped her over a large fallen tree, blue eyes alight with warmth. Even with his armor he had no trouble traversing the thick underbrush and she wondered if it was because of his gear or his passive racial traits. In contrast she felt like a newborn. She knew she should be more graceful than this due to her race but her body still felt new. Her limbs felt too long and her vision so different she had a hard time judging distance. Thankfully her movements seemed to be smoothing out with time, which was a relief.

As they continued to walk a new sound made her ears twitch and she paused, turning curiously in its direction. Sensing her focus shifting her companion changed the direction of his steps and set out ahead of her. Following in his wake she focused on the sound and brightened when she finally recognized it.

The trees parted slightly and they came to the bank of a bubbling river. It was about four meters across and maybe one meter deep at the center. Stepping up to the edge of the bank she knelt and cupped her hands, staring in wonder at the crystal clear liquid. She had never seen water this clean and pure before, not in person at least. Bringing it to her lips she quenched her thirst, letting out a happy sigh at the almost sweet taste.

"My Lady…" Looking up at Rodrach she tilted her head curiously, waiting for him to speak further. He'd almost sounded hesitant, which seemed a little odd for the confident warrior. "While we are here, I think it would be best if I take your outer robe further down the river and cleanse it for you. That way you could remain here to refresh yourself."

It took her a moment to realize what he meant by 'refresh' and she flushed at the very idea. "You mean bathe, here? Now?" She wanted to be certain she'd heard him correctly.

The man shifted slightly and although his face had not changed at all she did notice how it seemed difficult for him to meet her eyes suddenly. "Yes, I am concerned about the affects of the Moonlight Ambrosia after your ritual was disrupted. We can't be sure it wasn't affected in some manner and I believe cleansing yourself would be best."

Contemplating his words she leaned back and set her hands on her lap. At the moment she didn't have access to her Inventory, which meant she couldn't change clothes even if she wanted to. If magic had somehow become real there was a slim chance that it had affected the special wine that counted as a mid-tier potion. His concern was valid, even if she was feeling embarrassed.

"I think you're right to be concerned." She admitted. "And I trust your judgment." Not only because he was the only person she had to rely on at the moment, but because she had literally written a good sense of judgment into his character.

Standing she looked down at her clothes and frowned slightly when she realized she'd never had to take her outfit off the normal way before. Changing clothes in Yggdrasil had always been as easy as a few hand swipes and picking options from a Menu. Glancing at Rodrach she realized he had turned his back and she was relieved to have a moment of privacy.

Once she'd figured out how to undo the ties she slipped out of the long pearlescent garment and folded it over her arm. "You can turn around now." She told him lightly. "It is only my outer robe, I am wearing more underneath." A lot more. Her layering was very reminiscent of a jūnihitoe, which had been done on purpose.

The man turned and took the offered garment from her gently, almost reverently. "I will wait for your call before I return." Were his solemn words as he turned and started walking along the bank of the river until he was out of sight.

She waited a few minutes longer before attempting to find out how her own clothing worked. Thankfully it actually was removable and she let out a sigh of relief when she was able to strip down to her under layer, which consisted of a thin nagajuban. Carefully she slid the crown off her head, making sure it didn't catch on her hair, and set it down on her folded clothes. She thought about taking out her earrings but without a mirror it would have been a hassle to put them back so she left them where they were.

Amongst her many layers she found a square of cloth she'd forgotten about. It hung from her sash and had been completely decorative in Yggdrasil. It would make a good washcloth she supposed.

With some trepidation she stepped down from the bank and dipped her foot into the water. It was cold but not unbearably so. But that may have been her passive racial traits, once of which gave her resistance to cold and frost.

Making her way to the middle of the river she wasn't surprised when the water came up to her waist and the current tugged at her feet. Dipping the cloth in the water she rang it out and started to wipe down her body, making sure to scrub meticulously. When she was finished she ran her hand over a few strands of scarlet hair and contemplated it for a moment before shrugging.

Better be thorough. Just in case.

Closing her eyes she held her breath and dunked herself completely. Opening her eyes beneath the water she was surprised at how clear her vision was. Sadly this new ability to see was balanced out by the horribly loud sounds assaulting her poor ears. Coming back up for air she felt her ears twitch of their own accord as she gathered up her hair and began wringing it out.

The sudden rustling of leaves and a loud gasp was her only warning before someone was stumbling into the river in front of her. Freezing in place she watched the stranger's green eyes go wide in surprise, mouth agape.

They stood there staring at one another for a silent moment before the situation finally sank in and Tsukino realized she was completely unclothed in front of a random stranger.

Letting out a small 'meep!' she crossed her arms over her chest and sank into the water to hide as much of her body as she could.

The movement seemed to shake the man out of whatever had held him captive and he quickly looked away, his face red in embarrassment. "I'm so sorry!" He said quickly. "I didn't m-mean to spy upon you bathing! I'm a h-" His words cut out as the tip of a sword pressed dangerously close to his neck. A large shadow stepped out of the woods and was quickly revealed to be her companion. Although this time he was wearing his full helm.

"How dare you spy upon my Lady." He growled, voice rumbling with cold anger barely held in check.

"Rodrach, stop!" The sword against the stranger's neck twitched and her companion's helm turned slightly toward her before it froze and shifted back. As if he'd turned to look and quickly abandoned the motion. "This man is lost." She said, trying to find some reason for her companion to let him live. "He did not realize I was here or I am certain he would have avoided us entirely." At least that was the impression she got from him. "You are a hunter yes? And one who lives around these parts?"

The stranger's eyes widened further. "Yes… my Lady." He said, glancing at Rodrach.

The sword inched closer again. "The correct term for one not in her service is 'Your Eminence or Her Eminence.' Understood?"

The man sucked in a breath. "I-yes. Forgive me, Your Eminence." There was a waver in the poor man's voice and she wanted to sigh aloud.

"You are forgiven. Rodrach, stow your sword. This man is no threat to us." She was glad that neither man was looking her way as she issued the order in a clear voice. If they had been they might have noticed the small wince and faint strain around her eyes.

The moment she finished issuing the order her companion was stepping back and sheathing his sword. "As you command, my Lady."

The hunter reached up to his throat and rubbed at it nervously before bowing deeply in her direction, eyes still averted. "Th-thank you, Your Eminence. I swear that I only came upon you by mistake."

She smiled, even though neither man could see it. "I believe you. Please try not to fret, my protector is fierce in his loyalty but honorable in his actions. He will not harm you and neither will I." She promised easily. "I have one request, however, if you would be so kind as to oblige me."

The man stiffened slightly. "O-of course, Your Eminence."

"It would make me more comfortable if you'd both turn your backs so I might make myself presentable." There was a moment's pause before her words seemed to register. The hunter's face went red again.

"Oh!" The hunter exclaimed before quickly straightening and turning around.

Rodrach's shoulders relaxed minutely before he too turned his back toward her. She wondered briefly what that was about but chose not to dwell on it.

Standing she rang out her hair again and slung it over her shoulders so the end wouldn't fall back into the river. Once she was at the bank she looked down at her dry clothes then down at her dripping body and grimaced. Wearing clothes while wet would not be very comfortable, especially if they were going to be walking through more forest.

Catching sight of her staff she had a sudden bolt of insight and picked it up. Stepping onto the bank she lifted it into the air. "Lesser Heat Aura!" As she cast the spell a wave of warmth surrounded her, thought she barely felt the effects as the caster. From her body steam quickly rose and after a moment the water completely evaporated. Even the cloth in her other hand became dry in moments. "Cancel," she muttered quietly to herself, happy that her idea had worked.

Getting dressed took longer than she liked but as she finally placed the crown upon her head she felt much better than before. Perhaps Rodrach's perception was better than she'd thought and the Moonlight Ambrosia really had been affecting her.

Turning to look over at the two men she realized that she was on the other side of the river and that crossing it would mean getting wet again. With a sigh she resigned herself to being soaked before she remembered one of the spells she'd learned as part of the Sorceress job class. "Water Walk!" Invoking the spell allowed one to cross any kind of water-like substance without coming into contact with it. Which was useful for certain dungeons where the water was laden with traps and mobs that would attack the moment someone disturbed the surface.

Crossing back over the river she called out to the two men on the other side. "Peace, you may turn around now."

Rodrach turned immediately, standing at his full height as if he were awaiting her orders, while the hunter hesitated before joining him.

The poor man froze, eyes going wide, and she had to hold back the urge to smack her palm against her forehead when she realized why. This wasn't Yggdrasil. People didn't just walk on water as if it were a leisurely stroll. For all she knew magic was a foreign or even contentious concept in this world. She would have to be careful how she presented herself from now on.

"I'm sorry to have startled you, Sir hunter." She said conversationally as she stepped onto the bank and allowed the spell to end.

The man shook his head quickly and raised his hands in a placating gesture, glancing towards Rodrach. "Please don't concern yourself with me, Your Eminence. I just didn't realize you were a magic caster. If you don't mind me asking… are you on your way to Arwintar?"

In that moment as the hunter spoke she felt something… odd. It was like the feeling she got after inspiration struck, when her focus was at its peak, and aspects of a project that weren't working well together suddenly clicked into place perfectly. "Yes, we are on our way to the capitol city. I heard there may be something interesting there for us." She found herself saying smoothly.

The hunter nodded, as if he had suspected as much. "If you need a place to stay I can show you to the town. We have a local inn. It probably won't be up to the usual standards of someone like Your Eminence, but it's clean and well maintained."

Rodrach shifted on his feet and she knew he was looking to her to make the choice. It was clear that this matter would be up to her.

"That is very kind of you to offer, thank you. A place to rest out of the elements would be very welcome." Of course there was a very slim chance they had anything that could be used as a form of currency. Except her magic and her companion's sword arm, perhaps.

"Think nothing of it, Your Eminence!" The man said as he began to relax further. "Sulvyr isn't that far from here."

"Oh, that's a relief. While I don't mind a little wilderness wandering I would like to see civilization every now and again." She said with a light laugh, falling in behind the hunter as he motioned for the two of them to follow.

The walk was fairly pleasant and the hunter was gracious enough to keep his pace slow so she could keep up in her long garments. As they made their way through the forest the man properly introduced himself as Talsim. It only took a single question from her about his family to get him talking about his wife and two daughters. "Tahlia is just coming to that age where she's interested in love while little Sufia just started her proper studies. She's real smart, interested in all kinds of books too." He glanced over his shoulder at her and smiled. "What about you, Your Eminence?"

Tsukino's hand tightened on her staff and she was certain that a dark look was crossing her face. "Unfortunately I do not have a family… not anymore." Rodrach twitched beside her, his hands clenching into fists, and she realized that she'd made another error.

Her last family member in the real world had passed away a couple of years ago, but her companion wouldn't know about that. He would only know about the backstory she had written for him. One where he had played the roll of villain before coming into her service in penance for his crimes. One where he had killed the only family she had.

Reaching out she placed a hand gently against his arm and gave him a reassuring smile. She didn't blame him, and she couldn't feel grief for those who hadn't even been real. Seeing him relax she turned back to the hunter with a polite smile. "It is a long story, and one I prefer not to speak of."

The man gave her a slightly concerned look but nodded in acceptance. "We should be coming up to the edge of the forest now. From there you'll be able to see the fields around the town."

The man was right. The moment they cleared the trees she could see a quaint and rustic looking village, like something from a story book or historical record. Walking along the tree line they came to a small road between two fields.

"This should take us to the South entrance. It's mostly used by the farmers, but it is faster than heading towards the main road." He motioned towards more of the fields. "We'd have to cut through the fields, which might damage the crops." He said almost apologetically.

"I do not mind taking the less traveled route, we wouldn't want to inconvenience your town by destroying a part of their crops." She reassured him with a smile. Truth be told she was happier not taking the major road, since there was bound to be more people around and she wasn't quite ready yet.

Looking around at the fields she felt something tickling the back of her mind and stopped, contemplating the long golden stalks of wheat. "Am I correct in assuming that your town is well known for their ale?" She asked, turning toward the hunter curiously.

The man looked surprised before smiling. "Yes, we are. But most newcomers tend to assume we export the grain." He didn't phrase it like a question but she could practically taste his curiosity.

She chuckled. "I noticed that while these fields are filled with wheat, the far fields have rows of flowers and herbs. Yet there are no hives that I can see." As the words left her mouth she knew that she was correct, but she had no idea how. She didn't know a single thing about ale, or what even went into the making of it. Yet the information had just seemed to come to her, like a revelation.

"Oh! You can see the far fields from here?" The man squinted as if trying to see into the distance but after a moment he shook his head. "I knew half-elves had great sight but I didn't realize just how far they could see."

Rodrach let out a huff. "Her Eminence is not a half-elf." He declared heatedly.

"I-uh, didn't mean to say she was." The hunter stammered, looking up at her knight with trepidation.

"That's alright. Have you only ever met half-elves?" She asked lightly, stepping between Rodrach and the hunter with a gentle smile.

"There is a family of half-elves who live in town but other than the occasional traveler I have never seen someone like your Eminence." He said quickly.

"Then there is no need for me to feel any offense. I dare say that few have met one of my particular race. We are quite reclusive, after all."

"I-I see. Well, shall we head into town?" The man asked hesitantly.

While they really didn't need a guide any longer she couldn't help feel that having a local with them when they entered town would make the two of them look far less suspicious. Especially if he was unharmed and on friendly terms with them. "That sounds like an excellent idea. I've sated my curiosity for now. Lead on, Master Talsim. Perhaps, once we get to town, I will even have a chance to meet your lovely family."

The man smiled brightly at the prospect. "Right this way, your Eminence, I'm sure they would love to meet someone so traveled as yourself." He said with enthusiasm.

Walking down the well stamped ground that made up the road between fields of grain she looked up at the clear blue sky and wondered at the strangeness that had befallen her a moment ago. Was this some sort of prior knowledge she'd forgotten about until now, maybe something she learned during one of her research trances? Or was the body she was now inhabiting not her own, and if so, who was it that she had suddenly replaced?

There were many questions that would need to be answered, but for now she would just try to focus on putting her feet in front of her and not making a fool of herself.

Chapter 4
Chapter 4- Rodrach

Opening his eyes, having been summoned from his slumber, he quickly dropped to one knee and bowed his head in deference. It was obvious why her Ladyship had called for him as her delicate voice commanded him to attend to her. Standing he fell into a guard position, eyes trained on her Ladyship but focus on the area around them. He could sense no Enemies nor Players nearby but that didn't mean none were laying in wait.

Placing her staff beside her his Lady knelt on the ground and gracefully laid out her Divine Circle. Raising her arms towards the heavens she entreated the great Celestials to impart upon her their wisdom then drank the Moonlight Ambrosia she had poured into a silver and crystalline chalice.

After imbibing the blessed wine she was quiet for a moment before turning her head towards him. "You know, Rodrach, you are the only one who's been loyal to me, who's stayed by my side and never let me down, and you know what? I think that might be what I love about you the most."

The words fell upon his ears but he could not answer her, too stunned to speak. It was an endearing declaration and a clear damnation for all of those who had abandoned his Lady.

The seconds ticked by and with a sigh her Ladyship turned to look back out at the star filled void above their heads. From where he was standing he could see her close her eyes, as if waiting for something.

Some dreadful thing.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6,

Whatever it was he wanted to reach out and comfort her but he had his orders and he could not deviate from her command. Not unless she was attacked by a Player or an Enemy came too close.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

The world around him turned to darkness for a second that felt like an eternity. But just as quickly his sight returned.
And what a heart-stopping sight it was.

His Lady letting out truly pained gasps as she desperately tried to breathe. Folding in on herself with her hands pressed so hard to her chest he was worried her nails would bite into her flesh. "My Lady!" He cried out as she began to cough and violently spasm, spilling the Moonlight Ambrosia onto her robes.

Without a thought he rushed to her side and wrapped her up in his arms protectively. It was the grace of his heritage that he should be blessed with healing magic, and the ability to freely use it without penalty. "Hold on, my Lady, I'm here. I won't leave your side, I swear it." He promised as her soft pink eyes began to dim and finally close.

Panicked he pressed his face against her chest, holding his breath and listening carefully. Hearing the slow beating of her heart and feeling the rise and fall of her chest the warrior let out a shuddered breath of relief. Casting a diagnostic spell he found nothing that was obviously wrong with his Lady, just that she had been suddenly overwhelmed and exhausted out of nowhere.

When he stood to move his Lady somewhere more secure he stopped when he realized they were no longer in the Forest of Eternal Autumn. Whatever had happened moments ago had transported them somewhere unknown. Somewhere potentially dangerous.

"Lesser Detect Aura, Lesser Awareness, Greater Protection Field." Closing his eyes he checked the surrounding area for danger but found none that was easily detectable. Unlike her Ladyship his skillset was not optimized for uncovering those who wished to remain hidden. Which was why he had also cast a Protection Field. If anything came within a certain distance of them with the intent to harm it would be rebuffed.

Carefully kneeling he held the petite woman to his chest, resting her legs over his knee, and reached up with his other hand to undo his cloak. Setting it on the ground he gently lay her upon it.

Looking down at her unconscious form like this made many emotions war within him. Concern for her wellbeing, elation that he had somehow been freed from whatever had constrained him before, and a cold fury that rivaled the darkest pits of hell.

Every ten minutes or so he re-cast the Diagnostic spell to check on her condition. It was thankfully less than an hour when she finally began to wake, much to his relief.

Vibrant pink eyes opened only to snap shut once more, a grimace of pain crossing her delicate features. "My Lady, you are finally awake." Her ears twitched in response, a good sign. Although the sudden stiffening of her form was a cause for some concern.

"Wha-" her voice sounded as if someone had coated her throat in sand before she began to cough roughly. She winced and tried to move but he quickly placed a hand against her shoulder to keep her still.

"You shouldn't move yet, my Lady. You are not yet well." He warned as he pulled a waterskin out of his inventory and pressed it against her lips. She startled slightly and he frowned. "It is only water, my Lady, to quench your thirst." He spoke softly, hoping to allay her confusion and fear.

After taking her fill of water she seemed more relaxed than before. It was a relief. "Thank you." She said quietly.
Letting out a small huff he set down the waterskin next to her, in case she would need it again. "It is no trouble, my Lady. I am your loyal servant. From the moment I first laid my eyes upon you, until the moment all becomes dust." It was similar to the declaration he had made the night he had first come upon her.

The night his entire world came crashing down, only to be rebuilt in the gentle light of the moon.

Her chest hitched in a silent gasp as her eyes opened with some difficulty. The wind rushing past and stirring the air, making the trees rustle, making it more of a chore than it needed to be. It took her a moment to focus before recognition lit within her eyes.

"Rodrach-?"

Ever since waking in this strange new place things had been odd, to say the least. But the blessing he had been gifted with outweighed the potential for danger, at least in his opinion. Glancing down at her Ladyship he felt joy at the look of wonder in her eyes as they explored this new forest together.

Somehow the magic that had transported them to this new land had broken what had seemed to him to be a terrible curse. One where he was shackled to basic commands, where he could not express himself or move freely as he willed. But now… now he was free. And with that freedom came the ability to interact with her Ladyship as he had always wanted.

Helping her Ladyship over a large fallen tree, being able to hold her small hand in his own, was something that would never get old. The amount of warmth he felt at finally being able to show his depth of care… it was nearly overwhelming.

Although it did make him wonder- what sort of curse had he been under before? One where he would fall into a deep slumber in a world of darkness devoid of life until he was summoned once again. Had it been enacted by those slain in the Temple before he met his Lady? If so then why was it only now that the curse had broken? Questions he would find answers to eventually, he hoped.

Coming upon a river that fed into the lake he watched as her Ladyship knelt gracefully and brought the water to her red painted lips. Her happy sigh made him smile as a sudden idea spawned from his rambling thoughts. The entire walk since she had awoken she had been stiff and stumbling slightly, as if something was affecting her body. In that moment he remembered the ritual she had performed right before her collapse, and the potential issue that might be affecting her. Although he was a little hesitant to bring it up, seeing as it could be considered inappropriate in some manner. "My Lady…"

She turned to look up at him, head tilted curiously as she adopted a posture that clearly said she was listening.

Gathering the courage he was known for he spoke clearly, keeping his emotions carefully in check. "While we are here, I think it would be best if I take your outer robe further down the river and cleanse it for you. That way you could remain here to refresh yourself."

She blinked at him for a moment and seemed to ponder his words before her eyes widened in mild surprise. "You mean bathe, here? Now?"

Unable to remain still he shifted on his feet in embarrassment. "Yes, I am concerned about the affects of the Moonlight Ambrosia after your ritual was disrupted. We can't be sure it wasn't affected in some manner and I believe cleansing yourself would be best."

Setting her hands on her lap her lips thinned slightly in thought as her eyes became unfocused momentarily.

Rodrach held his breath and waited.

"I think you're right to be concerned." She finally said. "And I trust your judgment." A gentle smile crossed her lips and he let out the breath he had been holding.

Turning his back to give her Ladyship some privacy he watched the forest around them for any kind of danger. "You can turn around now. It is only my outer robe, I am wearing more underneath." There was amusement in her voice now.

Turning he took the robe and draped it over his arm, being careful not to let it catch on his armor. It was a part of her Celestial Vestments after all, he wouldn't want to damage something so precious. "I will wait for your call before I return." He said solemnly.

Following the bank of the river he found a a curved area with thick bushes, somewhere he could not accidentally glimpse her Ladyship bathing. Taking off his gauntlets he placed them into his inventory and got to work washing the wine out of the robe, which was far stronger than he had first suspected.

Focused on his task he didn't feel anything amiss until his passive detection alerted him to a new presence. Realizing that it was headed straight for her Ladyship he swapped the robe for his gauntlets. Leaping over the river and into the trees he came upon the unwelcome presence.

Spying the man by the bank he felt a dark rage come upon him. The instant he was close enough his sword was in his hands and aimed at the neck of the miscreant. "How dare you spy upon my Lady." His eyes were like frozen stars and the air almost seemed to cool around him. One move and the human's head would be leaving his-

"Rodrach, stop!" Her Ladyship's voice broke through his cold anger and his entire body twitched as the order was given. He turned to look at her, to question, before he remembered that she was bathing. The realization hit him and he turned stiffly away again, but not before seeing her draped in nothing but sunlight.

"This man is lost. He did not realize I was here or I am certain he would have avoided us entirely." She said simply. "You are a hunter yes? And one who lives around these parts?"

"Yes… my Lady." The human said, looking to him in fear.

He pressed the sword closer to the human's neck- a warning. "The correct term for one not in her service is 'Your Eminence or Her Eminence.' Understood?" Only he and other Players she was associated with were allowed to call her Lady. It was a privilege that this stranger had not earned.

"I-yes. Forgive me, Your Eminence." He stammered.

"You are forgiven. Rodrach, stow your sword. This man is no threat to us." He wanted to protest but once again stopped himself. She was the Celestial priestess and he her lowly bodyguard. He did not get to question her orders.

Stepping away from the stranger he sheathed his sword. "As you command, my Lady."

The stranger rubbed at his throat, probably imagining what it would have felt like to have a sword cut through the tender flesh. "Th-thank you, Your Eminence. I swear that I only came upon you by mistake."

"I believe you. Please try not to fret, my protector is fierce in his loyalty but honorable in his actions. He will not harm you and neither will I." Her belief in him was as humbling as always and he felt some of his cold anger melt away at her words. "I have one request, however, if you would be so kind as to oblige me."

The human stiffened slightly. "O-of course, Your Eminence."

"It would make me more comfortable if you'd both turn your back so I might make myself presentable."

"Oh!" The hunter exclaimed before quickly straightening and turning around.

Now that the human wasn't staring at the naked form of her Ladyship he began to relax. He knew what he was feeling, and why, but that did nothing to stop the burning in his core at the thought of anyone laying their eyes upon his Lady. Especially when it was clear that it made her uncomfortable.

From there things progressed quickly. With her Ladyship dressed she was able to negotiate with the human to guide them to his nearby settlement.

Rodrach only hoped that the humans understood how blessed they were about to be when they received her Ladyship in their little town.

Listening to her Ladyship and the hunter speak he had to hold his tongue on more than one occasion as it was clear the man was a simpleton. Yet somehow it appeared that her Ladyship was able to divine information from the conversation as they finally entered the settlement.

"Oh, I can see why you were so eager to return home." Her Ladyship said with a small laugh that reminded him of bells. "It looks so comfortable and peaceful here."

The hunter smiled brightly. "Thank you, Your Eminence! The Emperor is very good at keeping us all safe. We don't have to fear bandit or monster attacks. All we need to worry about is how well the crops are growing."

An Emperor? There were very few of those that he knew of. Unless this Emperor was a Player. He looked to her Ladyship but she seemed lost in thought. He left her to her own musings for the moment.

"There, see that building with the red shingles? That's the inn. I'm sure they'll have a place for you and your guard, Your Eminence." The hunter was saying happily.

Suddenly her Ladyship stopped, pink eyes going wide. "What is that boy doing on the roof?" She gasped. "Someone stop him, he's going to fall!" She called out to those around them.

Sharpening his focus he saw a young man, barely out of boyhood, scrambling across the shingled roof. As he took another step some of the shingles cracked and crumbled beneath his feet.

He fell. Just as her Ladyship foretold.

Without a second thought for her own safety her Ladyship ran, the tinkling of bells and crystals following in her wake. He kept just behind her, though he could have easily outpaced her. Alongside them was the hunter, whose expression was a mix between confusion and worry.

As they got close they found a woman pulling the young man to her and wailing as blood ran from his head and down his back. One of his legs was twisted horribly and it was clear by the shape of his fingers on the same side that they were broken as well.

"Garett! Garett! Someone call for the Priest! Garett, please answer me!"

"The Priest is with Lorna, she's having a difficult birth." Someone yelled from the gathered crowd.

From inside the building a man pushed the crowded villagers out of his way before collapsing to his knees next to the wailing woman. "Garett, no… this can't… I told him not to play on the roof! I've told him hundreds of times!" He choked, shoulders shaking with emotion.

It was a sight that would disturb anyone who had never before seen such an accident. But his heart had long ago hardened to violence and the sight of mangled bodies. Though he felt some sympathy for the loss of a young man just barely out of childhood years- it was not his business.

"Let me see him." Her Ladyship stepped forward, expression one of grim determination.

"Who are you?" A nearby woman asked, stepping between them and the wounded lad.

"The only one who can save him." Her voice rang out above the din of the crowd, certain as the sun rises. "Step aside and he may yet live."

The woman faltered for a moment but moved out of the way. It was clear by the similarity between her and the woman holding the lad that they were somehow related. Sisters perhaps?

Her Ladyship stepped right up to the couple and gave them the most gentle smile he had ever seen. "Peace. In a moment this will all have been a bad dream." Placing her hand on the lad's head, ignoring the blood that was matting his blonde hair, she took a calming breath. "Heal!"

A soft green glow enveloped the boy as the crowd watched on in silent awe. The wounds that had been fatal moments ago vanished entirely as the young man startled awake.

"Mom? I had a really bad dream. I don't think I'm going to climb the roof anymore. Hey, why are you crying?"

As the townsfolk began to crowd closer he stepped between them and his Lady. "Keep back! I will not allow anyone close to her Eminence without her permission!" He bellowed, startling some of the townsfolk.

The man who had been hugging the young man stood and raised his hands in a calming gesture. "My name is Frior Malden. Garett is my only son, I owe you and your Lady a great debt."

Before he could speak he felt a delicate hand against his arm. "I was more than happy to help, Sir Malden. But perhaps we might take this conversation inside? I would like to wash the blood from my hands and a place to rest after our long journey would be welcome."

The man smiled widely. "Of course! Consider our home your home while you are here! Welcome to the Golden Sheaf Inn."

Her Ladyship smiled and he realized that her gifts had manifested themselves once more. As they followed the grateful couple into the building he knew that they would want for nothing as long as they remained in the settlement.

Once more the random pieces of fate had fallen into place, gently cradled in the delicate hands of his Lady.

Omake 1
Sitting in the meeting room, looking over maps and detailed notes, Momonga turned towards Luci★Fer and Tabula Smaragdina. Once again the two of them were arguing about the correct way to approach the current resource issue Nazarick was suffering from.

"Now now, I know you're both passionate about this but that's no reason to attack each other." Glancing towards Whitebrim and Bellriver, both of which were paying attention to other things on their screens, he let out a tired sigh. "Luci★Fer, we already agreed on a vote for where the new resources would go. You'll have to wait for more rare metals after we've completed Tabula-san's objective."

Sitting back in his chair Luci★Fer grumbled to himself in what appeared to be a sullen pout while Tabula sent Momonga a smiley.

Some days he wondered why he had agreed to be the Guildmaster if this was the kind of problem he had to contend with daily. Then he'd remember how great it felt to have his friends trust his judgment and rely on him and all would be forgiven.

"I think we should attack in a staggered fashion. That way the enemy won't anticipate a second wave and will be caught off guard. Even better if we can trap part of the field here and here then lure them into an ambush early on." Tabula looked between them as locations lit up on the map.

As Momonga was examining the locations and trying to put together the plan in his mind Whitebrim suddenly shot up from his seat yelling, "are you kidding me!? Again!?"

"What happened?" Getting up from his own seat Bellriver looked over their guildmate's shoulder to see the screen. "Oh… wow. Momonga, you should see this! Turn on the Daily Event news feed, it's on the Álfheim channel."

Grumbling about their planning being interrupted he did as Bellriver said and tuned in to the channel.

"I'm standing here with the semi-professional designer, Miss Tsuki-no-Uranaishi! How does it feel to have won first place in the Devs latest design competition?" A beautiful human was standing next to a diminutive elven woman with scarlet hair and pink eyes. It was a rare enough variant that he actually didn't recognize it immediately.

But he recognized the name.

This was the woman Whitebrim had a rivalry with. Their 'discussions' in the forums were so heated that it was basically a sporting match for those watching the thread.

"It feels pretty amazing, I must say." Unsurprisingly her voice matched her avatar well. "I can't tell you how surprised I was when I learned what the first place prize was. But I'm very happy with him!" She motioned towards a figure standing stiffly nearby.

It was a larger than average humanoid male with black hair and blue eyes, wearing an amazing set of armor. Not that he'd ever call it that around Whitebrm, of course, since Tsuki-no-Uranaishi was his 'sworn enemy' and all.

A month later the entirety of Ainz Ooal Gown would have the face of that NPC seared into their psyche. After all- it wasn't every day that their advanced party was completely wiped out, with barely a chance to fight back.

Chapter 5
Chapter 5

Entering the modest inn behind what she now knew was the owner she glanced around at the open dining area. In the far corner was a large hearth which had yet to be lit for the day. She assumed that, since it was warm out at the moment and the crops were still being grown, that it wouldn't be lit until just before sunset. From everything she'd seen passing through the forest and into the town it was probably still early summer, before the first harvest.

"Excuse me, your Ladyship?" Coming out of her thoughts she smiled at the owner, her ears twitching slightly as she caught every creak and groan of the wooden floors. "I've asked one of the maids to warm some water and bring it up as soon as it's ready. Shall I show you to your room, or," he glanced towards Rodrach, "rooms?"

She blinked in mild confusion when the man made the distinction between a single room or two. Then she noticed where his eyes had trailed and felt her cheeks warm slightly. "I-" About to ask for two rooms she had a feeling in the back of her mind that asking for that much might be a problem. After all the inn was not particularly large and even if the dining area was empty at the moment it was probably because everyone had gone outside to see the commotion. Besides that, she didn't really want to be separated from her companion, especially when she had no idea what kind of dangers might lurk around every corner. "I would prefer a single room with two beds, if you please. Though if you have a privacy screen I would appreciate a loan of it."

Behind the innkeeper Rodrach nodded once, seemingly in approval. She knew from his settings that he would have raised a bit of a fuss if she'd asked for separate rooms, but ultimately would have listened to her command if she really pushed. Or at least, that was how she had roleplayed his character back when he was a mindless NPC. Now that he was alive and could think for himself she couldn't be certain he would actually obey her every order without question. She would have to tread lightly until she could ascertain his boundaries and how far she could push him until he pushed back.

"Of course, your Ladyship. I have just the room!"

Following the man upstairs and down the hall she made sure to pay attention to each door they passed. Some of them were closed but most had been left open, probably in a rush. Some looked like they had recently been cleaned while others were clearly occupied, if the random items strewn about was any indication.

"Here you are, your Ladyship. This room is above the hearth so even in the chill of the night you'll remain comfortable." He explained as he opened the door to a room that was larger than all the others. "We keep this room for special guests, like yourself."

Entering the room she took in the sight of the large bed on one side and the smaller bed on the other. There were chests at the end of each and plush patterned rugs covering the most walked upon sections of the wooden floor. In one corner of the room was a writing desk with a single seat and near the stone wall, which was probably the chimney for the hearth downstairs, there was a table with three chairs. On the far wall she saw a vanity with a water basin and a mirror.

"I'm afraid we don't have the space for a personal bath but there is a communal bath house just down the road. They have private bathing rooms open, you just need to request one." The man continued to explain what the small town had to offer, which was more than she expected to be honest, but her focus wasn't on his words.

It was on the mirror.

"Ah! Sanni, is the maid I asked to fetch your wash water, is she permitted inside?" Turning she spied a young woman in what appeared to be a rudimentary staff uniform who was holding a steaming pitcher.

Rodrach eyed the young woman for a moment before nodding curtly.

The young woman ducked her head deeply in a respectful bow, her eyes wide with awe and a little fear. Coming into the room she hurried over to the basin and poured the hot water into it before stepping back and bowing again.

Tsukino smiled. "Thank you."

The young woman brightened, her cheeks flushing slightly. "It was no trouble, your Ladyship." She said before she left the room, giving Rodrach a wide berth.

"Well then, I'll leave you to get settled. Someone will be up later with the privacy screen if that is acceptable?"

"It is." Rodrach replied for the two of them.

"Then I'll take my leave." The man bowed deeply, gratitude shining in his eyes, before he left- closing the door behind him.

Relaxing once the man was gone she looked back over at the wash basin. Looking down at her blood covered hands she swallowed hard and hurried over to the vanity.

Standing in front of the basin she spied her reflection in the mirror and froze. It was just as she'd suspected. Scarlet red hair that shimmered in the light, soft skin as pale as porcelain, and vibrant pink eyes that seemed to shine with inner power. Unlike her own appearance in the real world her face was now more angular and her eyes were larger, more rounded. It gave her an ethereal and ageless beauty that was almost uncanny to look at.

Tearing her eyes away from her own reflection she tested the water and let out a low hiss at the heat of it. The rough soap smelled of strange herbs but she didn't care- all she wanted was to clean the blood from her hands.

It wasn't the first time she'd seen death, nor even the second. But seeing someone dead from overwork or illness was not the same as crushed limbs and pooling blood. It had been so red and warm, sticky against her palm.

Water splashed onto the floor but it was a distant sound, as if she were hearing it through a thick fog or rushing water.
The water turned pink and she felt as if her heart wlould hammer through her chest.

There was no doubt in her mind now. This was real.

A large hand closed around her wrist and stopped her frantic movements. "Your hands are already clean." Came the soft rumble of a now familiar voice.

Looking up at her companion she let out a harsh breath. "Oh, I… I didn't notice." Looking down at her red hands, which had been scrubbed raw, she grimaced. Glancing back at Rodrach she gave the man as reassuring a smile as she could muster. "I'll be alright now, thank you."

The man kept hold of her wrist for a moment longer, blue eyes searching, before he finally let her go and returned to inspecting their room.

Tsukino let out a sigh and took a towel off the small shelf attached to the vanity. Drying her hands she frowned at the rough skin. "Light Cure Wounds." She mumbled under her breath. Her skin shimmered green for a moment, leaving her hands completely unmarred.

"My Lady, perhaps you should rest."

Letting out a small sigh she looked over at her companion, who was standing in the middle of the room as if he expected them to be attacked at any moment.

"Yes, I think I will. This has all been a bit of a shock to the system." She regarded the two beds and frowned. She didn't really feel like sleeping at the moment, and was worried about what might happen if she did. Would she even wake up again? Would whoever actually owned this body take control? Would she wake up in her small apartment all alone? She really didn't want to find out.

So she instead took a seat at the table, her hands resting delicately in her lap. Outside the window she could see over some of the other buildings of the town and out into the fields. The gently swaying golden grains were almost mesmerizing to look at. Especially for someone who had never seen an actual field in person before.

Rodrach shifted, his armor clinking together faintly as he did so. "When was the last time you ate, my Lady?"
She blinked and looked up at him as he came to stand next to her, staring down at her with a frown of concern.

"I… I can't remember." Neither eating at home before logging into Yggdrasil or eating anything here in this body. She'd been far too disoriented and distracted by everything since waking up to even consider food.

Tsukino could have sworn she heard the man's tongue click judgmentally before he was turning to regard the door. "Shall I inform the servants?" He sounded hesitant to leave her side and she couldn't help chuckling at his reluctance.

"If it would ease your mind I will ward our quarters against those who might pry or intend harm." Lifting her arm she held her hand before her face, two fingers extended and the rest folded down. "Protection Talisman, Anti-Detect Talisman, Alarm Talisman." As she spoke three Talismans appeared between her fingers, colorful writing appearing on the paper and glowing for a moment before turning to black ink.

In the game these spells came from the Onmyouji Class and would summon pieces of spelled paper to the user's hand. Instead of the spell being cast on the user they created an area of effect around the paper itself. As long as you carried the paper with you, and it wasn't countered or destroyed, the spell would remain in effect. They didn't work particularly well on other Players, they were too easy to counter once you knew about them, but were perfect for exploration and PvE.

Once the papers had fully manifested some instinct she didn't understand had her flicking her arm to the side and releasing the papers. They flew across the room and plastered themselves against the wall. The writing from the paper spread outward to cover the walls before melting into them, leaving the pieces of paper to flutter to the ground completely blank.

Rodrach watched it all with a calm expression, as if this had all been expected. Tsukino masked her confusion by smiling. "You needn't worry so, I will be safe here." She might not be geared towards PvP like some players but she wasn't a pushover either. Even support classes had their own special tricks and powerful abilities- if used correctly of course.

"As you say, my Lady." With a small bow the man left at a brisk walk, his pristine cloak flowing behind him as he disappeared out the door.

Once he was out of sight Tsukino collapsed against the table. What was even happening here? NPCs that came to life, medieval villages in the middle of a honest to Kami forest, and magic. Actual magic!

"What do I do now?" She asked the empty room quietly.

As the gloom began to settle in she felt a subtle nudge, something uplifting and bright. Snapping out of it she took a deep breath and sat up straight again.

'There's no time to wallow.' She thought to herself. 'I should be testing out what I can and can't do in this place.'

From earlier testing she knew she couldn't use the messaging system or Log Out, but she did have access to all of her spells. The next thing to try should probably be… that. Definitely that. It was the single most important thing to have access to. Especially if she was now stuck in this unknown world.

Closing her eyes she imagined pulling up the menu and going into her Inventory. Reaching out she thought about the item she needed, a simple undyed robe, and imagined it being there as she closed her hand around it. When the feeling of soft fabric met her hand she opened her eyes in surprise. Gripped firmly in her hand was the robe she'd wanted!

"Thank the Kami." She whispered, voice breathy with relief.

As much as she loved her 'Celestial Vestments' they were a bit too impractical for roaming around strange forests and random villages. For one there were far too many layers. For another the special crown she was wearing was far too conspicuous. She stood out far too much to be safe.

Setting the robe down on the table she reached back into her Inventory, keeping her eyes open this time. She was intrigued by the black hole that opened up around her hand. That hadn't been a part of Yggdrasil either. Pulling out some of her less expensive traveling gear she glanced around and realized that she didn't have her staff with her.

Before she could begin to panic over losing her best weapon there was a knock at the door before it opened. "My Lady, I have our meals." Rodrach stepped inside, closing the door behind him.

"Welcome back." As he came over to set the table she folded her equipment and got up to set them on the smaller bed. "Rodrach, have you seen my staff? I seem to have… misplaced it." Although her voice was calm Tsukino had to try hard not to flush in embarrassment. It was such a rookie mistake to leave her weapon behind like that!

"Yes, I picked it up when you were healing the young lad. I can return it to you once we've eaten, unless you'd like it now?"

"After we've eaten is fine." Shaking her head she went back to the table and sat down again, marveling once more at just how large her companion really was. Two meters compared to her scant one-hundred and sixty-two centimeters. The broad chest and shoulders didn't help either, the man was well muscled.

The food was pretty good, all things considered. It was a thick vegetable soup flavored with herbs and spices without being too hot on the tongue. It warmed her body and after the first few bites she realized just how hungry she actually was. Although she tried to remain polite it wasn't long until her bowl was empty and she was using the freshly baked bread to soak up the last of the broth.

There was a chuckle from the man across from her and she looked up into bright blue eyes that were warm with fondness. "Should I ask them for another bowl, my Lady?"

Sitting there, having eaten her fill for the first time in a long time, she felt something settle within her. "No, thank you. It was enough for now." Watching the man shrug slightly and return to his own meal she took a slow deep breath. "Rodrach." The man looked at her, attentive to her words. "I understand that as my sworn guard it is… customary and traditional that you refer to me by title." She hesitated, hoping that she wasn't about to screw this up and cross a boundary that she shouldn't. "But while we are traveling in this new land I think it would be best if you were to refer to me by name instead."

The man's eyes went wide as he slowly set his spoon aside. The quiet clack of wood against wood was the only sound in the room as his mouth opened and closed again, without uttering a sound.

Tsukino fidgeted in her seat a little, hoping that she had not offended him or said something so wildly out of character that he concluded she was an impostor of some kind.

"I would be honored if you would permit me." He finally said, voice filled with the truth of his emotions.

He truly considered calling her by her name to be an honor. She could see it in his eyes.

"Of course. From now on please do not hesitate to call me Tsukino." It was a relief. While being called Lady was novel and new she didn't want that barrier between her and the only person she knew she could rely on. Besides that, there were no drawbacks to having him refer to her by name.

"Tsukino." The man said slowly, as if testing every syllable.

'I was wrong.' She thought to herself as her face burned with embarrassment. 'There is a drawback.'

"O-on the matter of what we'll do now." She began, hoping to move on to something else so her heart would stop beating against her ribcage. "Once Ser Malden and his family have calmed I would like to ask them about this land we've found ourselves in. I can already tell that this place resides outside the Nine Worlds." Even though she'd never been to the Worlds frequented by the Heteromorphic races, like Niflheim or Helheim, she knew what the most common areas looked like from shared images on the forums. There had never been anything like the town of Sulvyr in the game and after the notice of imminent shut down she doubted this was based on some new area they'd created for Yggdrasil. "For starters I'd like a map of the nearby areas and information on the local culture. The hunter earlier mentioned they have an Emperor on the throne and from the look of things this Emperor is diligent in keeping the roads and surrounding areas safe."

Rodrach nodded. "Which means they must have a sufficient military force and commonly send them out to patrol their borders and roads."

She nodded, having come to the same conclusion. "This could be advantageous or disadvantageous for us depending on this Emperor's policy when it comes to foreigners. Although I doubt there will be trouble considering our reception here." So far the reaction to her and her companion had been awe, curiosity, and a healthy dose of wariness. With her healing of the child the people had quickly accepted her as someone to be respected. Of course Rodrach was included in that by association.

"What shall you do in the meantime, my Lady?" He asked as he picked up his spoon to finish his meal.

Giving the man a slightly disgruntled look she chuckled. "Tsu-ki-no." She said, chiding him playfully. "You may as well get used to it while we are alone so that you don't forget when we have company." Sitting back in her chair for a moment she glanced at the change of clothes she'd pulled from her Inventory. "I need to change into something less formal and conspicuous. Maybe I'll take a short rest as well? Whatever brought us here has tired me more than I first thought."

"I shall return these to the kitchens while you change." Picking up the dishes he gave her a short bow before leaving the room, the door closing behind him.

With a sigh Tsukino carefully untangled the crown from her hair and set it down on the table. Once she'd finished changing she put everything into her Inventory and pulled out a set of ribbons. She took a moment to braid and tie back her hair in something more manageable before going to the smaller of the two beds and flopping onto it unceremoniously.

Laying there, staring up at the ceiling, she wondered what would happen if she fell asleep now. Would she wake up back home in her Dive chair? Would she cease to exist as the owner of this body reasserted itself? Would she wake up back in Yggdrasil with this all somehow being a very odd glitch? Or was this a new and permanent existence for her? And… which of these did she consider the least terrible?

'There's nothing I can do but sleep and suffer the consequences.' Closing her eyes she let herself drift, allowing the exhaustion she was feeling pull her deeper into the black.

2m- 6'5"
162cms- 5'4"

Chapter 6
Chapter 6- Rodrach

Coming back up to the room he knocked upon the door and waited a good few moments to listen. When he heard nothing from inside he opened the door and entered, scanning the room for anything awry. Certain that there was nothing wrong he closed the door behind him, his eyes falling upon the sleeping form of her Ladyship. It was obvious now that she had been exhausted after the strange bout of magic which had brought them to their current location.

Quietly he hauled the requested privacy screen to the far corner, next to the vanity, and set it up. Having encountered the servant sent to fetch the item in the hall he had taken possession of it. While his lady was asleep he did not trust anyone else inside the room. With a nod to himself he turned back towards the two beds. Now her Ladyship wouldn't need to concern herself when changing clothes.

An image of water droplets on soft pale skin crossed his mind and he quickly discarded it. Seeing her undressed had been an accident. A small lapse in judgment that he would be paying for later.

Walking silently up to her Ladyship's bedside he looked down at her for a moment, contemplating the incident from earlier. Although he wouldn't admit it aloud, unless asked directly, he was concerned for his Lady. The frantic and near desperate way she had scoured her skin red trying to get the blood from her hands… He let out a small sigh. Rodrach knew he still had a lot to learn about her, now that he was free of the curse that had once bound his body and will. In the back of his mind he added a 'fear or aversion to blood' to the list of things that might adversely affect his Lady.

The woman let out a soft sigh and shifted, a small pout crossing her lips before she settled into a more comfortable position. Her scarlet hair was splayed around her head like a blazing halo, the ribbon she'd used to tie it back having come loose. Of a sudden he felt the urge to reach out just to touch it, to know its softness and reassure himself that this was all real. Instead he carefully readjusted her blanket and took the loose ribbon before stepping away from her side, not wishing to be tempted further.

Sitting at the table he began a thorough check of his inventory. Looking over each piece of equipment with a skilled eye to ensure it had taken no damage and was not in need of repair. As he sat there guarding her Ladyship the sun slowly began to set. It bathed the room in bright oranges and pinks before darkening into a deep red that eventually became the purple-blue of twilight.

So far his Lady had not stirred, her sleep deep and undisturbed. Looking at the spellwork on the room, which had remained active, he decided it would be best if he took a short rest as well. He would need all of his strength if he wanted to protect his Lady in this strange new world.

Sitting on the larger bed he leaned his back against the wall, sword resting across his lap, and crossed one ankle over the other. It did not take long for him to fall into a restful yet guarded sleep.

An unspecified amount of time later he woke to the sound of something shuffling around the room. Eyes snapping open he took in the immediate area before him, his hand gripping the hilt of his sword. What he expected was an enemy, perhaps a petty thief or one of the less reputable servants.

What he saw was his Lady.

Moonlight poured into the room from the window as his Lady stood there in her simple nightgown. Her skin was aglow, as if she were the moon itself, and her hair shimmered as if reflecting the stars. The only thing that seemed amiss were her eyes. While they too seemed to glow with an inner light there was a lack of awareness to them that was at odds with his Lady's usual demeanor.

"The King of Death…" Her voice nearly startled him as she finally spoke. "He will awake inside his Great Tomb. From unfathomable loneliness and grief shall calamity descend upon the world." A chill ran down his spine as her words seemed to come from some distant place he could never reach. "They will look upon his pale visage and tremble in terrible awe. All shall know him and weep in despair." As she finished speaking her eyelids fluttered and she faltered in place.

Rodrach watched her fall as if in slow motion. Scrambling up from his position he leapt off of the bed and caught her just before she collapsed completely, saving her from hitting the hard wooden floor. Checking her pulse and mental state with a quick diagnostic spell he was a little disgruntled to learn that she was just asleep.

Then it hit him.

Her Ladyship had been asleep the entire time. What she had said had not been a conscious thought. Which meant only one thing- what he had heard was a Prophecy. One that sounded a lot like future trouble if they were not careful.

Picking up his Lady he set her back into bed and pulled the blanket up to once again cover her delicate frame.

"Rodrach?" Eyes open and dulled with sleep she blinked at him in mild confusion.

"It is nothing, my Lady, you are perfectly safe. Please return to your rest." He urged quietly.

After a moment of watching him she gave him a small smile before her eyes closed and her head listed to the side. She let out a shallow breath and he knew she had fallen asleep once more.

Mildly shaken by what he had heard he returned to his own bed and sat, contemplating how best to protect his Lady from the coming calamity she had predicted.

The first part of the prophecy had named his new enemy as the King of Death, which had multiple potential meanings. It could be one who has overcome death and thus could never die. Or one who is strong enough to bring death to all they met. Maybe even one who has mastered death as an Elder Lich. At least the second part helped narrow down his options. If this King had awoken inside a Great Tomb then surely it was some form of Undead?

Slowly a smile crossed his face as he resettled against the wall once more. "Undead, hm?" He chuckled and looked down at the hilt of his blade. "Perhaps I am worrying over naught." After all- what was an Undead when compared to a Holy Knight?

Waking the next morning to the sound of movement his eyes opened and he took in the room all at once. Just as before his Ladyship was standing at the window. However, unlike the night before, she was leaning on the sill with a bright smile on her face while a gentle breeze danced through her long scarlet locks. Her eyes slowly opened and she turned to look in his direction. He felt his breath hitch in his throat when her smile softened at the sight of him. "Good morning, Rodrach." Her attention turned to the view outside the window and she let out a small sigh of contentment. "The sunrise is beautiful today."

'Not as beautiful as the sight before me.' He carefully did not say aloud as he nodded politely in her direction. "And a good morning to you, my La-" at the small pout on her face he cleared his throat. "Tsukino."

Perhaps it was a trick of the light but he thought his Lady's face might have reddened slightly for a moment before she pushed away from the sill and turned to face him. "We have much to do today. Our first goal is to find as accurate a map of this area as we can, and the second is to learn more about this Emperor."

Getting up from the bed he stretched, his fingers brushing the ceiling. "As you say. Shall I see if the cooking fires have already been lit?" He asked, glancing at the screen he had brought up the night before.

Her eyes followed his gaze and took in the screen as well. "That sounds like a good idea to me." Then her gentle pink eyes came back to rest upon him. A small frown crossed her delicate features and her head tilted slightly to the side as her eyes roamed over his armor. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling to be scrutinized by his Lady, yet he couldn't help shifting under her gaze. "Were you comfortable sleeping in your armor?"

The question caught him off guard momentarily. "Of course. As a Holy relic it conforms to the wearer in a manner that will always leave one comfortable." Although if truth were to be told he had never truly thought about it before. Unless his Ladyship asked him to change, for reasons known only to herself, he had always worn his armor.

"I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable by asking." She said with a mildly sheepish look. "And for what I am about to ask you to do."

One of his brows rose. "There is nothing your Ladyship could ask of me that should compel you to apologize." He said firmly.

The woman laced her fingers together in front of her and began to fidget. It was a gesture that he would have considered annoying in another but was endearing from his Lady. "Traveling while wearing our top tier gear will only attract attention, and likely have trouble quickly finding us. I know that you have other sets of armor and I would ask that, once we are away from this village, you change into something less conspicuous. However, since the villagers here have already seen you in that set of armor it would be best to keep it for the time being. As a Lady it is expected that I would have multiple outfits, even when traveling, so they will not find it suspicious if I were to wear something different."

Rodrach thought about it for a moment and came to the conclusion that it was a sound plan. Even if he would rather continue wearing his Holy Avenger armor it was too eye catching. "I understand, my Lady. Which armor do you think would be best? I will need time to prepare and activate some of my spells ahead of time."

Her brow furrowed slightly and she raised a hand to her lips in thought. He wanted to chuckle but held back so as not to disturb her thoughts. He had seen her like this many a time, contemplating their next move or planning for their latest adventure. "I think your best bet is the Umbral Hawk, the Descending Echo, the Sunbreaker, or the Moonfang." Each armor she described had its own strengths and weaknesses yet all were on the more plain side in appearance.

The Umbral Hawk was a set of plate armor that came with a tattered shroud covered in Shadowhawk feathers. It was lighter than the others and perfectly silent. Excellent for stealth but its defense left much to be desired. Descending Echo was a matte midnight blue and was on the heavier side of his armor sets, but with his skills he wouldn't even feel the weight. He could also attach his usual cloak to it without it looking too out of place. Moonfang was made with the pelt of a Greater Lunar Wolf and unless it was seen under the moon was a dull gray. It had speed and agility buffs with an added bonus against projectiles. Sunbreaker was a little more elaborate than the others, engraved with golden flame patterns, but it was both lightweight and had high spell resistance.

"Then I shall use the Descending Echo." He said after thinking it over for a long moment.

Her Ladyship smiled, looking pleased, and it lit up her entire face. "Whichever you think is best. I trust your judgment."
She could not have known how much those words affected him.

Before he could express his gratitude for her trust his Ladyship's stomach let out a very noticeable grumble.

Her face reddened slightly in embarrassment. "I suppose I am still quite, ah, famished from yesterday. Thankfully I've recovered from my exhaustion, I should be back to normal in short order."

He very carefully did not comment how nothing about her could ever be considered 'normal.' Not with her appearance nor her compassionate heart. "I will return shortly, my- Tsukino."

She gave him another bright smile before heading towards the privacy screen.

Heading downstairs he strode to the kitchens once more, having familiarized himself with the layout of the inn the day prior. While he didn't detect anything amiss in the wards he'd set it was still good practice to use ones eyes and instincts. Some magic was designed to slip past other spells so it payed to be cautious. Especially when it came to his Lady.

"Sir Rodrach, good morning. Is there something I can do for you?" The wife of the inn owner asked him, wiping her hands on her apron in a nervous gesture.

"Mistress Malden, my Lady has awoken and I have been tasked with finding our breakfast." He left out the part where she was changing in their room and even with the privacy screen he didn't want to risk seeing her naked once more. If he did so he might not be able to keep his words of devotion behind his teeth.

"Oh, of course! If you'll give me a moment I'll have everything ready." Turning away from him the woman hurried to her task, glancing at him now and then.

Knowing he made mortals nervous he moved to stand near the door, our of the way in case one of the servants had to pass him by. It didn't take long for their meals to be prepared and the woman to hand them over on a serving tray. He scanned the meal passively for anything amiss but found nothing. "Thank you, Mistress. I shall return with the dishes in time."

Returning to the room he knocked and waited for the quiet "enter" before coming inside. Sitting at the table was his Lady, wearing a set of robes she called Frosted Blossom. It was quite plain compared to her other vestments but he supposed that was the purpose. At least the materials were all high quality and the defensive stats were nothing to sneeze at.

He set out their meals and sat across from her as she fiddled with her hair, tying it into elaborate twists through a moonstone and platinum diadem. Her fingers were long, slender, and dexterous as they worked. He was mesmerized and couldn't have looked away if he tried. As a strange of crimson draped down her cheek he followed it with his eyes and froze when he realized she'd noticed him watching her.

Thankfully she just smiled as she tied off the end of her braid, leaving it to hang behind her as long slender bangs framed her delicate face. "There, now I won't need to worry about it getting in the way as we travel. Though it probably makes me look quite plain." She chuckled.

He smiled in return. "Whether your hair is free or plaited you remain as peerlessly beautiful as ever, my Lady." He wanted to kick himself the moment the words left him.

Her pink eyes went wide before her cheeks flushed pink. "Thank you, Rodrach." Her smile of gratitude was more radiant than any sunrise.

"Think nothing of it, it is only the truth."

"All the same, thank you. Now, why don't we sample Mistress Malden's fine cooking once more? We'll have to gather supplies for the road and I doubt we'll find anything as good as this for a while."

"We'll make do, my Lady, we always do."

She gave him a slightly pouty look. "Tsukino."

"Of course, Tsukino." It would take him some time to get used to it but as her eyes lit up once more he swore to put in more of an effort to remember. Her happiness was worth that much at least.

...well well, color me both surprised and interested. What a fun idea, be interesting to see how she is treated by those with power as opposed to peasants.
I imagine Jircniv will be quick to realise just how useful a healer/oracle on retainer would be. Coupled with her personal guard in the form of Rodrach, he'd also have a capable warrior in a pinch if he could convince them to separate for a time, though good luck with that.

Chapter 7
Chapter 7- Tsukino

Walking around the small farming village with Rodrach at her back she did her best not to fidget under the stares of the simple folk. Even in one of her more plain sets of gear she knew she looked like an exotic and highborn lady the likes of which they'd never seen before. It was inevitable thanks to the outrageous materials and intricate designs of Yggdrasil's equipment. Not that she didn't deserve some of the blame for that since she had designed most of her own gear herself.

"S'cuse me? Miss Elf Lady?"

Stopping at the sound of a young voice she smiled as a group of four young children stood a few feet away, eyes wide in their round faces. Turning toward the small group she held up her hand, to subtly stop Rodrach from reacting to the potential offense their words might cause him, and knelt so she was on the children's level. "Hello young ones, how might I help you today?" Keeping her voice light she spoke to the children as politely as she could. She didn't know too much about children herself but surely acting as a proper lady should be enough to put them at ease?

"She's so pretty!" One of the children whispered under their breath, not realizing she could hear them thanks to her natural racial abilities.

"Um, I was wonderin, you made Garett all better when he hurt his head, right?" The child in front asked, eyes solemn and hollow for one so young.

"I did, yes. He was hurt quite badly but I am well versed in healing." There was no use denying it. Half the village had seen her heal the boy, and the rest of them would have been told by those who witnessed it. Small villages like this were always chock-full of gossip. "Why? Is someone else hurt?"

The child clenched their fist tight at their side. "My Mama. She had my baby sister yesterday but the Priest says she's too hurt. Papa says there's nothin we can do."

The other children pressed closer, one of them throwing their arms around the speaker's waist in an obvious hug.

Glancing back at Rodrach she saw a small smile flit across his face as he bowed his head towards her. "Wherever you go, I will follow."

With a small huff of amusement she rose and dusted off the bottom of her robe, even though she knew no dirt could cling to it. "Lead me to your home, child, and I will see what I can do for your mother." The more good will she could generate amongst the villagers the better. Gaining a reputation as benevolent and magnanimous would only serve them well going forward.

"Really!? Thank you Lady!" The child's face cracked into a wide gap-toothed smile as they rushed forward to grab her hand. "This way!"

Rodrach started slightly but didn't react further, other than to casually place his hand on the hilt of his sword.

Delicately rolling her eyes where the man couldn't see she allowed the child to lead her through the village. It didn't take long to reach their destination and when they did she could hear the sound of a baby crying and a man weeping.

Letting go of her hand the child rushed inside, yelling excitedly. "Papa! I brought the Elf Lady! She said she could heal Mama!"

Motioning that Rodrach should remain outside and guard the door she entered the small home and watched the scene before her with a calm expression.

"Illi, there's no helping your mother now." The man rasped, his throat raw from crying. "She's… she's gone." The words were choked out between one sob and the next as the man clutched the crying child to his chest.

"Gone?" The child's hands fell limply away from the tunic of their father, as if all the strength had gone out of their tiny body. "No. No no no no no! Mama!" Body tense the child turned and ran toward an open door, where Tsukino assumed the mother had been resting after giving birth.

"Illi!" The man called, just barely missing he child's arm.

"Excuse me." Stepping forward she caught the man's attention and gave him a small smile. "Your child, Illi was it, asked me to come and heal your wife. I am sorry to hear of your loss. "

The man frowned in confusion. "I… did he?" He floundered for a moment, the baby in his arms crying louder.

"May I help?" She asked, holding out her arms for the baby.

The man hesitated, eying her as if she were something potentially dangerous.

"It will be easier to console Illi if you don't have your arms full with a newborn."

This simple logic seemed to ease the man's worries as he carefully set the baby in her arms, carefully maneuvering her so that she was holding her correctly. When he was done he headed into the bedroom to comfort his other child.

Uncertain what to do with a baby she thought back to conversations she'd had with other Players in Yggdrasil. One of her acquaintances had two children and had complained about the crying many times before. 'Hina will only stop if you start rocking her, and Fuyumi likes singing.' Deciding to give both a try she started to gently sway back and forth. A famous lullaby came to mind and she began to sing.

"Go to sleep, go to sleep. You are a good girl, go to sleep. Where did your nanny go? She crossed over the mountain and returned to her village. What souvenir did she bring you, from her village so far? A drum that goes tum tum, and a pretty little flute. Go to sleep, go to sleep. You are a good girl, go to sleep." Slowly the baby's cries quieted and her eyes drooped. In moments the baby was asleep, snuggled against her chest.

With a small chuckle she ran a finger over the baby's cheek and wondered. In her normal life she'd never had the chance to think about romance or marriage, let alone having children. But holding the small baby had her feeling a sense of longing she'd never experienced before.

She heard movement and glanced up as Illi and his father came back into the main room of their little home. "Thank you for taking care of Rosa." His voice was strained and eyes hollow with grief, barely a spark of life to be seen. The man came forward and took the baby from her arms, staring down at her forlornly. "I apologize for my son bringing you here out of the blue."

Tsukino hesitated. She knew she should be cautious, should keep her true power hidden, but at the same time she felt as if something was pushing her forward. Call it Fate or maybe something else. "There is no need to apologize." She said firmly, making up her mind. "Does anyone else know that your wife has passed?"

The man blinked at her before shaking his head. "We have to notify the local priest ourselves and our neighbors are currently out." Which meant that no one knew.

"I understand." Standing straighter she gave the man a serene look. "I have a request. May I see your wife? I am a priestess myself and if I can do anything to ease your pain I would like to try."

The man floundered, clearly not sure what to do. It ended up being his son who was the deciding factor, as the boy reached up to grab his father's arm and nodded.

Letting out a heavy breath the man nodded to her in turn, giving her permission to go into the room with his wife's deceased body.

Heading inside she wrinkled her nose at the smell of blood. The woman had probably died from blood loss after her child was born and there had been nothing they could do about it. Delicately pulling back the sheet that covered the woman's face she stared down at her lifeless form. It was obvious there was no life left in this vessel. Whatever it was that made someone a person was just… gone.

In that moment she could not explain what came over her. It was a feeling of grief and urgency so potent it almost made her dizzy. Looking up she saw the man enter the room, cradling one child as the other clung to his waist, and had this intense feeling of deja vu.

Her mouth moved of it's own accord and before she even knew what she was doing she spoke to the poor family before her. "Tell me- do you believe in Miracles?"

"Miracles? Miracles don't happen for lowly folk like us." He scoffed, voice bitter with pain and regret.

Taking her staff in hand she looked across the bed at the little family. "The Moon Goddess does not discriminate between those born to nobility and those born to the earth. All of them are her children. And what mother wishes to see her children suffer?" Holding her staff horizontally in front of her she flicked her wrist, making the metal rings jingle against each other in the silence that followed her declaration. "Allow me to show you the power of the Celestial Ones."

Closing her eyes she analyzed the woman's body until she was certain she knew the breadth of it. "True Resurrection!" The magic circle was bright in the small room, nearly blinding, as the 9th Tier spell activated.

She had intended to use the 5th Tier spell at first but something deep inside had told her it would end in disaster.
The light vanished as suddenly as it had appeared, leaving the room completely untouched. A gasp from the bed drew everyone's attention as the woman's eyes opened and she blinked drowsily.

"Lorna? Lorna!" Rushing to the woman's side the man fell to his knees, one trembling hand reaching out to touch her cheek.

"Tho-mas?" The woman's voice was weak and her head was slow to turn, but it was undeniable that she was still alive. "Wh't happ'nd-?"

Tears rolled down the man's face as he lifted his wife's hand and kissed it before pressing it against his cheek. "Nothing. You're back with us now, that's all that matters." Tearing his eyes away from his wife he looked at Tsukino in awe and gratitude. "However can we thank you? We have little, but whatever you want- it's yours."

Tsukino froze. She hadn't contemplated what would come after she performed the resurrection. Thankfully inspiration struck her and she smiled at the family as calmly and gently as she could. "Tell no one of this. It is not something I do on a whim, it is a blessing of the Moon Goddess and it is she who chooses who is worthy." A blatant lie. "If others knew I had this power they would hunt me down, if only to try and steal this power for themselves." Which had a strong possibility of actually happening. "But if you wish to give thanks… then worship the Gentle Mother, the Goddess of the Moon. Send your gratitude to her on nights when the moon shines bright, dedicate yourselves to her gentle light- and tell no one of this moment."

As the small family quickly agreed to worship the Moon Goddess and never speak of the miracle to anyone she thanked her lucky stars that she was a roleplaying enthusiast. Tsukino had twelve whole years of backstory crafted for her persona in Yggdrasil, along with everything she'd written into Rodrach's coding.

Leaving the happy family to their continued reunion she made her way back outside where Rodrach was standing guard in front of the door. The other children raced across the street to swarm her, asking her all manner of questions.

She answered as well as she could. Yes, Illi's mother will be okay. Yes, the baby was fine. No, you should let Illi's mother rest. And so on.

Eventually she was able to extract herself from the group of children. But rather than leave her alone they instead became a group of little tour guides when she mentioned she would like to go shopping.

"That's where we keep all the medicines, and that's where we sell food to travelers, and-" On and on it went until she was fairly certain she knew the village as well as the children did.

"What about maps or books and the like?" They didn't really need things like fabrics or weapons, since she had an ample supply in her inventory. But a map would be invaluable.

Dehmi, the eldest child of the bunch, scrunched her nose in distaste. "The only people I know that got books and things is the Chieftain, the Priest, and our teacher."

It made sense, she supposed. A medieval society's farming village wouldn't have access to paper unless they were the ones to produce it. Paper… it was so primitive compared to the technology she was used to and here it was considered a luxury.

"Can you show me to the Chieftain's house? I think I might like to speak to them." She couldn't be certain what the bad feeling was at the base of her spine, but when she thought about visiting the priest there was a hint of apprehension. She glanced at Rodrach and assumed it might be because of her devout guard's reaction. But that sounded like a flimsy reason, even to herself.

The Chieftain, it turned out, was an older man named Halin.

"Your Eminence, we are honored to have you staying in our little village." He said, bowing deeply to her and Rodrach. "I cannot express the depths of my gratitude for healing my grandchild. If you hadn't been here…" The Chieftain shook his head before smiling and motioning them further into his home. "Please, come inside and rest. Aneilla will make you something to drink while we speak."

Anniella was the man's wife. She was of an age with him and had a very sweet smile that caused crows feet to appear around her gentle brown eyes.

Heading inside what might vaguely be referred to as an office she glanced at the map on the wall and felt her stomach drop clear through the floor. Ignoring courtesy she stood in front of the map, studying it with quiet dread.

"Milady, what is amiss?" Rodrach's deep voice came from just over her shoulder, a quiet rumble in her long ear.
Her face and chest flushed with warmth at his closeness but she quickly shook off the feeling. "Master Halin, is this map only of the Empire? Or does it include the surrounding lands as well?"

"Oh, that map only covers the Empire, your Eminence. I do have a map with the other kingdoms' borders marked, if that is your interest?"

Turning on her heel she could feel Rodrach moving with her, either consciously or subconsciously mimicking her movements. "I would be grateful for a map that shows the other kingdoms and their borders." Stepping over to the large wooden desk she watched the elder putter around, searching through a couple of drawers before returning with an armful of papers.

"Ah, here we are." Rolling out the map he set four stones at their corners to keep the paper flat, then looked up at her expectantly.

Tsukino took a deep breath then let it out slowly. Looking into the man's eyes she smiled and shook her head. "Master Halin I must confess- this script is one I have never seen before." Taking the chair across from him she set her staff across her lap. "Do you have time to hear an interesting tale, by chance?"

The man frowned in concern. "F course, your Eminence." Sitting down he laced his fingers together in front of him.
"My name is Tsukino Uranaishi, I am a Lunar Elf from the Myriad Mountains. Yesterday, as I was performing a ritual entreating my Goddess to grant me wisdom, myself and my loyal guard were taken. I am uncertain how it came to pass, but when I woke we had both been relocated to the forest outside of your village. I am afraid we are well and truly lost."

The man's mouth gaped like a fish and they sat in silence for a long stretch of time.

Long enough that Tsukino was beginning to feel uncomfortable.

A knock at the door had Rodrach glancing down at her. When she nodded toward the door he opened it to allow Mistress Anniella inside with a tray of steaming wooden mugs. "My love?" She asked softly as she placed the tray on the desk, careful not to set it on any part of the map.

"It's nothing, my dear. Just had a bit of a shock is all. Nothing your tea won't fix." The Chieftain said with a chuckle, picking up one of the mugs and cradling it in his hands.

Once his wife was gone the man let out a heavy sigh. "That is quite a tale, your Eminence, and not one I can do much about I'm afraid." Taking a sip from the hot tea he stared out the window for a moment. "We are simple folk, we don't have the know how to help you. However…" Setting down his mug he stood and pulled out a different map. Laying it flat on the desk he trailed his finger along an unbroken stretch of road. "If you follow this road all the way to the capitol, there is an academy for those who study magic. It is run by the Imperial Court Wizard, Fluder Paradyne, and if anyone can help you with your problem it will be him." Taking up a piece of charcoal he carefully draw a line alongside the road, darkening it and making it stand out from the paper. When he was finished he rolled the map back up and held it out to her across from the desk. "Don't worry about supplies for the road. You saved my grandson, this is the least I can do."

Getting to her feet she took the map in hand and gave the Chieftain a bright smile. "Even still, you have my gratitude. We will leave tomorrow in the early hours of the morning. Have a good day, Master Halin."

Leaving the Chieftain's house with a map and the promise of supplies, Tsukino felt quite proud of herself. She'd kept her cool so far, now all she had to do is maintain the facade.

But how long she could continue to play the part of wise mystic? She had no idea.

And that thought filled her with a sense of burgeoning dread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back