1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Shard Alchemist (Worm, OC)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Zerrer, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Threadmarks: Introduction
    Zerrer

Zerrer Know what you're doing yet?

This is a new quest I'm starting here on QQ, and one I'm pretty excited about. In short, it's a quest where you're trapped in a Quarantine Zone, as a Tinker with an extremely narrow, yet powerful specialization: Powers. Steal them, remix them, feed them to allies. The sky's the limit. The first update will be all story-based, due to the need to establish what's going on, and the second will involve actual vote prompts and such.

Five miles east to west. Seven miles north to south. That’s what you’re limited to.

There used to be a river. There also used to be a lake nearby. A reservoir, with a dam and everything.

There was a time when you’d looked at the horizon and saw more than the wall.

You put your palm onto it- the cold, heartless concrete and rebar, standing amidst the ruins that once were houses, streets, sidewalks- all bulldozed and shoved away from the wall. All of it locking you away from the outside world.

It’s just the first layer of defense. There’s a second- an empty zone of no-man’s-land, a mile long. Then a second wall, only with guard towers. Gun emplacements. Capes.

Your name is Lucas Delaune. And you’re one of the one-hundred-twenty thousand souls trapped here. Or at least, you were. You wouldn’t know how many’s left by now. Twenty thousand? Ten thousand? Even both of those seem pretty high for the abandoned houses, empty streets, empty cars.

A crack like thunder has you suddenly aware and alert. You look up, and see a figure, slim and thin, shooting through the sky. There’s another crack- and it’s suddenly elsewhere in the sky, coming down toward you. Another crack- and it’s even closer, falling through the sky. A fourth crack-

And a figure in black leather lands on the ground. She’s slim, and very fit, a black motorcycle helmet. She keeps running, slowing down and panting for a moment. She wheezes, and you toss her a pitcher of water. She drinks it greedily, then wordlessly, silently, flickers in place. The pitcher is gone- and instead, in her hands is a black crate. Latches and a handle.

You take it. It looks very durable, but surprisingly light for how big it is.

“This is it?”

“Yeah,” She says. “Is it safe to get this close?” She asks, glancing warily at the wall.

“This spot has a dead sensor, somewhere.” You respond. “Missus Garcia told me about it.”

“Good,” She pants for a moment- then glances back. “Shit, I think they figured out my trajectory. Will you be safe?”

“I’ll go into the sewers,” You say, and she wrinkles her nose. “Nah, it’s all long-dry. It’ll be safe there, and I can get back to the safehouse from there.”

“Is it worth risking your spot with the waterboys?” She asks.

“... They won’t let me through again, once they hear about this,” you respond.

“I’ll lead them off, then double back,” She says.

“Take care, Skipper.”

She tilts her head for a moment. You'd known her long enough to know that there was a wink behind that helmet. She takes a few steps back, and then begins to run. Picking up velocity, and momentum. She kicks off a piece of rubble, and jumps upward, back toward thecenter of town- and then there’s a crack like thunder, and she reappears for a moment, still moving upward and away, in the sky. Another crack, she’s even further up… Up and away.

You glance down at the black case she’d dropped off.

Stolen from Tyrant, one of the biggest assholes left in this city. One of the assholes thriving. One of those fucking capes that were happy with the status quo. Happy with this fucking wall, in this fucking prison.

You could hear people yelling and coming close- and you ran toward the storm drain that would be your exit.

“Lucas?” One of the guards ask. He's wearing a bright blue handkerchief- a sign he was with the Waterboys. You wave back, brandishing my own handkerchief- one you keep stuffed in your pocket. “What do you have there?”

“David,” you wave, “It’s just some salvage, I was digging through the suburbs, and found some electronics in a box. Thought I might be able to piece together another computer.”

“What, really? Sweet!” He says. Then he frowns again. “You look like you’re in a hurry.”

“Yeah, well… Tyrant’s men saw I had it, and they wanted to take it from me,” You respond.

“... I can’t… You know that we’re supposed to be neutral. Split up whatever Waterfall produces, and give it out equally to each group. You can’t use the courier routes for personal business.”

“It’s just a bit of salvage.” you lie, “It’s not tinkertech or anything. And they never saw my face. It’ll be fine. Most people don’t even know the courier routes exist.”

“... Dude.” He sighs. “Yeah, I’ll let you through. But this is the last time. And I’ll have to tell Garcia about it.”

Shit. That means it might be your last day as a waterboy. But you smile and nod, stepping past him, almost picking up into a run.

It will definitely be worth it.

You quietly creak open the door from the basement, looking up into the dusty, boarded up house. You can hear the television running- the subtle high pitched whine of a CRT that doesn’t quite work properly. It’s a familiar sound, one you’ll soon be able to drown out with music.

You make your way up the stairs, and there he is. Your brother. Michael.

“Hey, Mike.” You say. “I’m home.”

He doesn’t respond. His figure is hunched forward, eyes staring unerringly into the static of the television screen. It isn’t connected to cable or anything- it’s all white noise, but he seems entranced.

His head is cracked, blackened skin near the edges of the ‘cracks’, and blue light is shining out, crackling with an inner lightning. His hand is placed atop a repurposed generator, and it’s chugging along with no visible power source- static crackling from his fingertips. Through his eyes, nostrils, and lips, the same blue light crackles. His brain is glowing- like the rest of the Broken.

Ever since Tyrant had his way with your brother, he hasn’t been the same. Turned from human minion into a cape… But something had gone wrong. Turned him into this instead. Broke him. Gone were the smiles, gone were the laughs, the crude jokes. It’s been a year. He hasn’t eaten a bite of food, or drank a drop. But his body keeps on going, fueled by whatever his power had given him.

There were Broken all throughout the city, if you know where to look. Once upon a time they’d been a member of a gang. The Firebirds. Highway. MedCent. Promising minions, once upon a time. But then something went wrong, and they were turned into these things. Walking corpses. Mindless zombies.

It had taken you and Katie- You and Skipper- months to figure out how, why. The black boxes. They contained… something. Somehow turning normal people into capes. A limited amount, or it only made a little bit at a time. The more you got, the stronger your power was. Trooper. Balrog. Guyver. The best and strongest must have had the most. But as time went on, the newer capes are just getting weaker. Barely anything. They’re getting weak powers… or becoming Broken.

You set the box down at the table, and flick open the latches.

You pull it open, taking a breath-

And then you’re staring at a human brain. Pulsating, electronics keeping it moving, filling the plastic bag with fluid-

You… don’t know what to do about this. You thought it might be a potion. Like a big glass vial you could drink the rest of. Or some weird alien artifact you could wear. Or something. But this is just… life support for someone’s brain.

You don’t know what the fuck this is. Or who the- what- you don’t-

The world seems to tilt.

All that risk… Skipper would never be able to show her face anywhere near Tyrant’s territory again. Near anyone's territory. After the heist, they’d kill her if they found her.

All the time you spent- the time you wasted. You’d burned your last bridges with the Waterboys. No more Courier jobs for you. No more delivering water to people in need. No more skimming off the top, or walking freely through town.

All for this brain..

Good thing, because you must have been fucking missing yours.

“They ate him.” Comes a quiet, whispering voice.

“... Michael?”

Your brother isn’t looking at the television anymore. Now he’s looking at the brain.

“Piece by piece. The toes and fingers came first.” He murmurs. “Then all that was left was the parts they kept alive. The brain. The heart. The arm.”

You look back.

“He took fire from the gods. So now his fellow man picks away at his liver. Bite by bite.” Your brother says.

Then he glances back at the television.

You look down at the brain.

If your brother was right. If he wasn’t just rambling- if his broken mind was trying to help… Maybe he knew something you didn’t.

This time, you take a breath. Pull over a lamp- plugged into your brother’s generator- and flick on the light, taking a closer look.

You don’t understand the tinkertech parts of it, the part keeping him alive. But you’d seen Moreau’s work before. She’d worked on this, that’s clear.

But the rest was added afterwards. Mundane technology. Stuff you can understand.

They’re pumping some kind of saline solution through the brain. Running it through, and what’s coming out the other end is tinged slightly with pink. Then it’s being filtered, and… the blood is being siphoned out, into a glass vial at the side.

The brain is producing more blood from nothing, and this is designed to isolate it.

That’s where the rumour of red potions came from. Moreau, Heckton, Tyrant… They were feeding their minions the blood of whatever cape this had once been. And it was becoming less effective.

Bite by bite. This cape’s flesh… gave powers. The blood was losing effectiveness, but… the brain was the heart of where cape powers came from, wasn’t it? The something-Gemma?

Carefully, trembling, you grab a retractable box cutter out of your toolbox, and slice the container open.

You glanced outside, through the boarded windows. The wall still loomed over you. Maybe, if you consumed all of it- the rest of the cape- you’d get something powerful.

Maybe something strong enough to protect you and Katie from Tyrant.

Maybe something to get the fuck out of here.

Maybe something to help you fix your brother.

You take a deep breath, and begin.

It's all to get the hell out of Flint, Michigan.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  2. Threadmarks: Philosopher 1.1
    Zerrer

[DESTINATION]

[ILLEGAL]

[BYPASS]

[DISAGREEMENT]

[BYPASS]

[AGREEMENT]

You jerk to consciousness, sitting up.

The television set is still blaring static behind you, your brother stationary, as always. He doesn’t seem to have any physical needs, due to his power, but you still like to check on him now and then.

“You doing alright, man?” You ask, your voice hoarse. He doesn’t respond, peering into the white noise. “Okay. If you need anything, just tell me.”

You clear your throat, and glance back at the table. Where the… object had once been. Tinkertech, pumping devices, glass vials, and a pair of AA batteries powering the thing.

It’s not there anymore. Somehow, while you were out- after you were done- some strange, alien mania had taken over you.

You’re looking at a syringe. The sort of syringe from someone’s nightmares. Like someone had fused together a gas pump, replacing the nozzle of the device with a long, sharp needle. You’d made it from a long-nosed lighter. Glassworks and tubing from the container. Some spare electronics you had on hand, a few magnets… and the contents of the container.

It has the look of tinkertech, so you shouldn’t know what it does. But you do. Something in your mind whispering, telling you that all you have to do is insert the needle into the brain of your subject, through the nose or ear.

Simple business to extract the shard uplink organ. Fluid will fill the glass container… And you’ll have it. A power in a bottle. Stolen from the target. Able to… be remixed. Centrifuged. Interfaced with.

The possibilities in this little device are endless.

Something behind you bangs, and the door opens. For a second, you get ready to bolt- but relax when you see the figure in the motorcycle helmet and black leather. She pulls off her helmet, and tosses it onto the couch next to your brother.

Katie is tall. Long-legged. She’d be a model, if it weren’t for the ragged, long scar curving around her cheek and up into her hairline. She keeps her frayed, black hair short in a frayed, wild bob. Almond eyes and a button nose. Your brother’s girlfriend.

Her pollentia gemma is exactly between two lobes you don’t know the name of. You can reach it through the left ear, if she holds still enough.

“Katie.” You say, shaking off the urge.

“Lucas. You … okay?” She asks. “You look a little out of it. How about the box? What happened with it?”

“... It worked.” You say. “I have a power now.”

“Really?” She asks. “What can you do? Can we get out of here?”

“Your power’s natural,” You say.. “And you can teleport. If you can’t get out of here, why would you think I could?”

“... I dunno,” She says, a little quieter. “You’re dodging the question. What can you do?”

“I’m a tinker.”

“What can you make?” She leans in- and glances past me, at the needle.

You close your eyes for a moment. Blueprints flicker in your mind. “Things that mess with powers. This needle lets me steal them, turn them into potions that anyone could drink.”

She meets your eyes. “No way.”

“Yeah.”

“Then-” Her eyes widen, and she turns toward Michael, hope in her eyes.

“... No.” You say. His pollentia gemma is… Elsewhere. Through the portal in his skull. You’re not sure how you know that, but by looking at him, you just do. Nothing you can build- at this point, anyway- would survive the transit. “I can’t help him. Not- not right now. Not yet.”

“Yet.” She says, and lets go of a breath. “Still. We fucked over Tyrant. Got revenge. Mission accomplished.”

“Yeah. We should lay low a few days,” You say, looking out at your tools and scraps you’d been collecting, ‘recycling’ them into useful things for people. Already, you can see how you’d build a workbench… “I have a thing I should probably build, and then…” You rail off.

“Then what?” She asks.

“We need a long-term plan,” You say. “I can build stuff, but I need stuff to build more stuff, and…”

“You also need a name,” She adds, and you give her a look. “What? We can’t go around calling you Lucas. And most tinkers have to use their own equipment, so you’ll need to go out there. Trust me, I was undercover with Tyrant for months.”

“Alright, we can add that to the list. But first, Long term goals.”

“Fix Mikey.” She responds, holding up one finger, “Escape,” She adds, holding up the other. “Boom. Quests established. Now how do we get there, Tinkerboy?”

“Time, resources, and… people to steal powers from,” I said. “I need powers to do stuff with, I’m… pretty sure. Otherwise a bunch of the things I’ll build won’t do anything.”

Together, the two of you put your heads together and brainstorm.

AN: I’ll almost always be allowing write-in options. Feel free to vote for anything, or multiple options. The options with the majority vote will usually be taken first.

[] Ambush or lure a cape from one of the three big gangs, and have Skipper knock them out.
    [] Pretend to join one of the big gangs, and then when you find someone alone.
    [] No, you’re getting ahead of yourself. Focus on your tinkering, first. You need resources. Trash, junk, etc. Skipper can steal some food and water from the next airdrop.
    [] No, you're getting ahead of yourself. Make sure the device actually works. Experiment with Katie's power. You can always give it back to her, after all. Right?
    [] Something else? (Write-in)

3. Eyemore

Eyemore The brain may be lined with eyes

[X] No, you’re getting ahead of yourself. Focus on your tinkering, first. You need resources. Trash, junk, etc. Skipper can steal some food and water from the next airdrop.

Rabid Tagger likes this.
  4. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

[X] No, you’re getting ahead of yourself. Focus on your tinkering, first. You need resources. Trash, junk, etc. Skipper can steal some food and water from the next airdrop.

Eyemore likes this.
  5. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

[X] Ambush or lure a cape from one of the three big gangs, and have Skipper knock them out.

My gut says Tyrant and other gangs are going to be on the lookout for Skipper at the next airdrop, and gunning for her specifically due to fucking over a major player. So relying on her pulling off a solo mission may go wrong.

On the other hand, Refuge in Audacity means they'd honestly never see her ambushing some regular cape and kidnapping them, maybe.

Or I'm being dumb and overly paranoid, and wanna Go big or go home. /shrug :V

6. Index: Philosopher: Notable Characters
    Zerrer

Your Faction: You just want to fix your brother and get out of town. That said, the more you can fuck over the gangs that ruined this place, the better.
    Unnamed: You. Lucas Delaune. A tinker that creates devices that mess with powers. Bitter at the Tyrant for what happened to your brother.
    --Michael: Your brother. Joined the Firebirds last year for food and resources, and ended up given a power... but it Broke him. Barely responds to stimuli. Doesn't eat or drink. Glows with an inner power, and when in the mood, generates electricity for your base.
    --Skipper: Katie. Your friend, and Michael's girlfriend. Can teleport further depending on how fast she moves. If stationary, can instead 'disappear' and wait to reappear, or store stuff in the 'between space' she ends up in. Used this to remove Tyrant's power effect on herself.

Tyrant's Firebirds: Controls the East side of town. Based out of the Dort Financial Center. All of the Firebirds have orange, flickering energy collars around their necks, arms, or legs. Focuses heavily on acquiring tinkers, and trading useful tinkertech to others.
    Tyrant: A cybernetic hulk of a man, Tyrant has the power to apply an energy 'collar' around targets he touches. Tyrant can choose to percieve through his subjects, cause pain, paralyzes, or kill his subjects.
    --Trooper: Second in command, Trooper is a Blaster that fires powerful beams of energy.
    --Tinktank: A hyrdro-tinker that powers things with water and fluids.
    --Bucky: A tinker that makes garish, overly-loud and impractical energy weapons.
    --Guyver: A Tinker that can make trash into treasure.

The Highway: Controls the North side of town. Based out of the Highway Fort, a structure built post-quarantine at the northern end of the wall. Controls a lot of empty space, and thus farmland.
    Heckton: Short for Hekatonkheires. Is a casual, lanky man that goes around shirtless. Has the power to 'insert' himself into a solid object and extend limbs from it. Limbs increase in size and power depending on the object he's inserted into. Uses the intact northern highway to extend his 'arms' out near-infinitely when needed. Hedonistic and lazy.
    ---Vixen: Second in command. Supposedly psychic, able to read minds and emotions.
    ---Dancer: A speedster of some variety. You don't know the details behind her power, but you've seen her blurring around.

MedCent: Sometimes called 'Medicine'. Controls the West side of town. Based out of the Hurley Medical Center, and extends to the nearby schools and universities. If you're injured or sick, you go there... and bring a lot of supplies to pay with.
    Moreau: A powerful medical tinker, also known as the Mother of Monsters, Moreau is now strapped into place somewhere in the dark, haunted hive that is the Den. Doesn't go outside.
    --Balrog: A horned, bulky regenerator with a cybernetic jetpack and a flamethrower. While most assume he's MedCent's second in command, he tends to be more of an incredibly dangerous enforcer.
    --Wolf/Wolves: A generic name for the many low-level brutes Moreau has running around the west side of town. Most of them have some kind of modifications.

Waterboys: A neutral faction, untouched due to their access to pure water. Functions as a volunteer organization.
    Waterfall: Nobody really knows anything about her. She creates water. Or teleports it in. Nobody's sure. She's the only reason the Waterboys exist.
    ---Courier: A cape with a tunneling power that leaves behind stable, structurally-sound tunnels behind them.
    ---Jeanette Garcia: Your 'manager' at the waterboys.
    ---Dave: A distant buddy you worked with, once.

Others:
    --Source: you don't know his true name, but he's the cape that somehow caused this whole shit to go down. Anybody who consumes part of his body gains a power. The big three have split his body apart, using the blood his limbs 'regenerate' to make their own loyal capes from the survivors.
    --Broken: Those who have consumed part of the Source and instead of gaining a power, were broken by it. No longer need to eat or drink, but amble around the city mindlessly.
    --Civvies/Mundanes: Innocent civilians who aren't part of a gang. Usually ends up having to pay tribute to whoever's territory they're living in.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  7. Bob123123

Bob123123 Know what you're doing yet?

8. thewhiteraven22

thewhiteraven22 (Unverified Worm fan)

9. Ranni The Witch

Ranni The Witch Doggy

10. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

So am I the only one that is getting Terminus vibes from this city? This could very easily be another Cauldron experiment.

11. KollegeX

KollegeX Know what you're doing yet?

Any chance of switching to 3rd person ?

12. Parzival95

Parzival95 Not too sore, are you?

[X] No, you’re getting ahead of yourself. Focus on your tinkering, first. You need resources. Trash,

13. Index: Rules and Setting Details
    Zerrer

AU Elements and setting details:
    This quest isn’t quite considered an alternate universe, though some might perceive it to be. While the quest takes place in Flint- a part of the setting that is barely elaborated on- I’ll be following canon as best I can. While I haven't read the entirety of Ward, there are certain setting elements or revelations from the sequel that I'd prefer to avoid, or don't know about (and thus can't integrate into the quest). Finally, there's a point at which certain bits of canon and fanon end up mixed up beyond all recognition and it's hard to tell the difference between the two... not to mention that in some cases, I prefer the latter over the former.

What this means for you is that, for the most part, things are sticking to the general 'status quo' of the typical Worm setting. The Protectorate and Endbringers are as you recall them, capes with the same names have the same powersets, etc. Identical from a distance, but some differences may be too subtle to notice even close-up.

Some differences will be the makeup and proclivities of Shards and Entities, though I don't foresee the quest going into details behind this. Another difference is that the canonical storyline won't be happening in Brockton Bay, either. Not that that should matter much either, seeing as you're nowhere near that. Despite all of this, 'extra-canon' details can be picked up or dropped as I see fit; things like characters only seen in Ward, or details from Wildbow's PRT Quest.

Voting and vote guidelines:
    This quest uses Approval voting, which means that (usually) options with the highest amount of overall votes will win, and you're able to vote for as many different options as you'd like. Priority will go to those with the highest of overall votes, of course, but multiple options can end up being taken into account over the course of an update, as long as they don't directly or indirectly oppose one another.

Some options will be multi-section. That is to say, in some cases there will be prompts with multiple categories. In these cases, you're able to make multiple votes- one in each category. Different categories will be marked on each option with descriptive one-word prefixes. If you're being asked what to do with Bob and what to do with Alice, your options will be prefaced with '[] [Bob] Do X', and '[] [Alice] Do Y'

During ties, or in situations where the votes are pretty even between exclusive options, I'll have to take certain measures to determine which option will win. Sometimes that might be a combination of options, to waiting until the next person to make a vote. In drastic cases, I might end up being the 'tiebreaker' myself, and picking which of the tied options will be most interesting to me. Or I'll just flip a coin- who knows?

Write-ins are almost always permitted- except when it comes to votes relating to your power, where you'll be limited to the chosen options.

Difficulty:
    Your attempted actions can and will fail. For each attempted action, a D100 will be rolled against a scaling Difficulty, depending on the action you're attempting. Depending on your various attributes or abilities, you may have numeric boosts (or maluses) to such attempts.

One important thing to know about how I personally manage options and the quest is that this is, first and foremost, a narrative quest. We're here together to make a fun story, not play a game focused on winning or losing. There won't be anything like 'trap options', which sound positive but have extremely negative consequences. This isn't a blanket promise that nothing will go wrong, through- some choices may be extremely poor ones, or ones with high difficulty. There may be consequences for choices, or you might be missing crucial information.

Tinkering and Survival:
    Creating Tinkertech requires Materials. You can work on any given project over time, and as long as time passes, you’ll be tinkering during your spare time. This is automatic, and not exactly something you can maximize- making sure you have extra spare time does very little to improve your Tinkering speed- after a certain point, your progress will slow, and eventually stop. To survive in Flint, you need more than safety. You also need food and water, enough for your entire faction. For each week you need to survive, you’ll need a unit of Supplies for each person in your faction, unless that person doesn't eat for some reason.

14. Threadmarks: Philosopher 1.2
    Zerrer

Vote Tally : The Shard Alchemist (Worm, OC) | Questionable Questing [Posts: 3-12]
    ##### NetTally 3.1.4

[X] No, you're getting ahead of yourself. Focus on your tinkering, first. You need resources. Trash, junk, etc. Skipper can steal some food and water from the next airdrop.
    No. of Votes: 6
    [X] Eyemore
    [X] Biigoh
    [X] Bob123123
    [X] Galler
    [X] IlyaFallout
    [X] thewhiteraven22

[X] Ambush or lure a cape from one of the three big gangs, and have Skipper knock them out.
    No. of Votes: 1
    [X] Vanbers

[X] No, you're getting ahead of yourself. Focus on your tinkering, first. You need resources. Trash,
    [X] Parzival95

Total No. of Voters: 8

You bang a few times on the door. There’s no response, of course. Most houses are abandoned around here, but it’s polite. If someone’s hiding out here, or trying to survive, you’ve given them a chance to respond. For similar reasons, you look around the house for a moment, for signs, writing, even graffiti.

There’s nothing, though, so you make your way inside. The cupboards and refrigerator have already been looted, left open and probably eaten years ago. But that’s not what you’re looking for. You rummage through laundry rooms, the garage, and eventually crowbar your way into the shed out back. Mason jars, tools, a half-full propane torch… Useful things.

You can already see what you’d be putting into your workbench. The tools you’d be using. Glass is what you’ll need the most of, you’re sure, at this point at least. Electronics will come later- but you still find yourself piling in small devices, dead batteries. You end up stuffing things into the mason jars the former owner had collected, dumping them into a duffel bag half full of old, motheaten clothes.

It’s enough, for now at least. Along with the tools you already had, your scavenged resources should be enough to tide you over for a few weeks. You throw the duffel bag over your shoulder, and step outside-

“Hey!” Someone calls. It’s three men. They’re wearing tanktops, walking through the street. Two in the back are pulling along shopping carts, stuffed with scrap. More focus on electrical devices- remotes, broken television sets, whatever they’ve been able to pull out of the houses nearby. One of them even got lucky- you can see a few cans of food at the bottom.

However, the men have flaming, vibrant bands of energy coiling around them. The man in the lead has one around his arm, and the other two have them around their necks. They’re Firebirds. Tyrant’s minions. You doubt he’s looking through their eyes right now, but just the idea he can… It makes you want to avoid them.

“Hey, guys!” You wave. “You guys got pretty damn lucky with that food, didn’t you?”

“Yeah,” the man in the lead responds. “Listen, though. You ain’t with the Firebirds, and this is our territory. You shouldn’t be scavenging here.”

“The lines changed again?”

“Expanding.” He says. “Tyrant’s always been the strongest, and a lot of the independents around here have joined up. So we need more scavenging space.”

“How far?”

“All the way to four-seventy-five.” He responds. That’s basically the last of the neutral space in the city.

“... Shit. Alright, I’ll get out of here,” You lie- you’ll have to come back eventually, and this is furthest away from most of the gangs.

“Hey, wait!” One of the guys in the back says. “Give us your bag.”

“What?” You ask, putting an arm over it protectively.

“You looted that house. It’s in our territory. Hand it over.”

The other guy gives him a look.

“What? We’ll hit our quota if he hands it over.”

The three glance at eachother, and finally the guy in the lead sighs. “Yeah. Sorry, man, but give us the bag.”

Materials: 1 (+4)
    Supplies: 2 (+?)
    Tinkering: Workbench [II--------] 20%

[] You’ve always been reckless. Cover your face and attack. Maybe you can get their stuff.
    [] Running away is always the best option. Flee.
    [] You always were gifted with a silver tongue. Try to talk your way out of this.
    [] Just hand it over. It’s not worth the fight. (-4 Materials)
    [] Something else? (Write-in)

15. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Wait can he depower someone permanently? How does that work and how does that stop the shard the person they took powers from and is still being observed by that shard from just growing a new Gemma and or potentia after some time like I think has happened in canon in similar situations? Like I’m not doubting messing with those connections can alter powers I’m doubting permanent depowering since shards lock unto dna (or dragons code equivalent) and will for example empower clones as if they were the original the second they pick them up with their scanners

16. Zerrer

His power seems quite confident that he can. The rest of your concerns should be answered eventually, though, as Lucas discovers more about his power.

I've honestly never considered running a quest in anything but 2nd person. If enough people want me to, I could make the switch, rewrite the previous posts and everything.

17. Asheram

Asheram Know what you're doing yet?

[X] You always were gifted with a silver tongue. Try to talk your way out of this.
    -[X] Offer up half of the contents of the bag if it doesn't work. It's their territory but you did the work, let's share like good neighbors.

Reckon you're hanging out here these days, Boss. Always happy to see another quest.

18. KollegeX

KollegeX Know what you're doing yet?

If you dont mind it i would suggest a poll, but even if not i will stick around to see if i can warm up to it since i came over from your previous work.

It vould kinda change the tone, i guess ? Might influence people to "play" more optimally / be more callous / less emotional than 2nd person. Not sure if that kinda effect would be strong enough to notice.

Either way the most important part is that you enjoy writing it

19. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

[X] You always were gifted with a silver tongue. Try to talk your way out of this.

I think this may have a chance, given his friends aren't 100% on board, but just don't care enough to gainsay the dickhead.

Might be a bit of a cultural thing in the Quarantine Zone to, y'know, not go out of your way to fuck people over too hard, given the chance of somebody with fucking nothing left to lose deciding "TODAY'S THE DAY, FUCKERS" and going bugfuck nuts on the nearest person. Because even if you put them down, they might fuck up you and your friends in the process, and there sure as shit ain't a whole lot of medical supplies around.

20. dizzydrizzy

dizzydrizzy If specified, this will replace the title that dis

21. Parzival95

22. thewhiteraven22

thewhiteraven22 (Unverified Worm fan)

-[X] Offer up half of the contents of the bag if it doesn't work. It's their territory but you did the work, let's share like good neighbors.

23. Segue

Segue Getting sticky.

It might help make it more consistent if you go into 1st or 3rd and commit - there's a lot of jarring errors and shifts between 1st and 2nd across the text so far. It's tough to read, tbh.

24. Langy

Langy Not too sore, are you?

I didn't notice any; can you give an example? Zerrer has been writing quests in second-person for years, and I've read a lot of the chapters and haven't ever noticed any grammatical issues like you're describing.

25. Bluesnowman

Bluesnowman I trust you know where the happy button is?

X] You always were gifted with a silver tongue. Try to talk your way out of this.

26. Grand Munchkin

Grand Munchkin Know what you're doing yet?

(Also sort of a write-in, I guess?)

We're not ready for a fight, especially against several capes, weak though their powers might be. They've seen our face, too, so running might mean being caught and beaten, probably means being hunted, and *definitely* means being known and lightly Marked.

By an entire faction.

That's a path where Bad Ends await, my dudes.

If we try talking, on the other hand, we can fall back on just handing the stuff over. It shouldn't be too risky, especially since they don't seem too enthused about mugging us. They want to meet their quota? That's an easy need to satisfy: we can just suggest them taking enough for that (plus a little extra for their understanding, if they don't go for the idea at first) and leaving us the rest as a finder's fee. Call it 'accidental contract work', no hard feelings, et cetera, et cetera.

We need as little infamy as possible if we want to get the best use (and the best 'us', both for ourselves and our allies) out of our powers. We also need parts for capital-T Tinkering. If nothing else, this approach gives us the best of both worlds, and maybe even a little goodwill from some potentially scary people.

27. Index: Current Status
    Zerrer

You are a Power-based Tinker, able to build and construct devices that affect powers

Inventory:
    Resources:
    2 Tinkertech Materials
    7 Food Supplies (3 Weeks)

Vials:
    Chameleon
    Grants low-level physical shapeshifting ability. Allows the user to perfectly blend into one’s environment by altering exact color pigments of skin. Enhances the target with thermal vision, improved physical strength, improved physical agility, improved reaction times, a tail for improved balance, and inherent natural weapons.

Aspects:
    None.

Artifacts:
    None.

Tinkertech:

Extractor: Level 1 - Basic
    A large, needle-like device, where glass canisters can be attached to the back. Permenantly steals the power of a targeted parahuman to produce a Vial. Can also be used to inject a power into any sentient being. NOTE: A parahuman cannot have more than one power. Attempting to apply a second power to a parahuman will cause the powers to fuse together.
    COST: 6 Materials to Upgrade.
    -- Level 1: Requires an unresisting or unconscious target. Needle must be carefully inserted into the brain through the ear or nose by the Tinker.
    -- Level 2: Automatically targets the Corona Pollentia of the target. Still requires time and the target must stay relatively still, but can actively resist the effect. Can be used by others, as long as the target is unresisting or unconscious.
    -- Level 3: A wearable glove that can knock out a parahuman on touch. Can extract their power over a minute of time.

Workshop: Level 1 - Basic
    A set of tools for creating and upgrading various devices. Without the Workshop, only a Level 1 Extractor can be produced.
    -- Level 1: Allows for basic devices to be built and upgraded: Centrifuge, Analyser, Extractor
    -- Level 2: Allows for more advanced devices to be built and upgraded: Processor, Amplifier
    -- Level 3: Allows for extremely advanced devices to be built and upgraded: Nullfier, Duplicator

Centrifuge: Level 0 - Unconstructed.
    A stationary device that takes a Vial and allows you to seperate it into distinct 'Aspects'.
    COST: 3 Materials to Construct.
    -- Level 1: Irrevocably destroys a power, generating 1-3 Aspects from it.
    -- Level 2: Irrevocably destroys a power, generating all of the power's aspects.
    -- Level 3: Converts the power into a 'Hollow' power that does nothing, and generates all of the power's aspects.

Analyser: Level 1 - Basic
    A device that allows you to scan Vials or Parahumans and gather data from them. Each level can gather additional details.
    -- Level 1: A large stationary device. You can scan a nearby Vial or Parahuman to analyze the specifics of their powers.
    -- Level 2: A bulky, handheld device. Can be used on Vials to determine what Aspects it can generate.
    -- Level 3: A slim, easily hidden device. Can be used on Parahumans to determine what Aspects their power can generate.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    128Hunter likes this.
  28. Threadmarks: Philosopher 1.3
    Zerrer

Vote Tally : The Shard Alchemist (Worm, OC) | Questionable Questing [Posts: 17-26]
    ##### NetTally 3.1.4

No. of Votes: 4
    [X] Vanbers
    [X] dizzydrizzy
    [X] Grand Munchkin
    [X] Parzival95

No. of Votes: 3
    [X] Asheram
    [X] Langy
    [X] thewhiteraven22

[X] Offer up half of the contents of the bag if it doesn't work. It's their territory but you did the work, let's share like good neighbors.
    [X] Bluesnowman

Total No. of Voters: 8

“Shit,” You say, sighing loudly. “I don’t suppose you guys could just let me off with this, could you?”

The guys glance to eachother.

“It’s all just mostly glassware anyway. I just- I need something to sell for water. It’s my daughter. She’s come down with something, and the waterboys aren’t giving us enough…”

You frown for a moment, lower lip trembling just enough to sell it. You always were a good actor, and you always did have a silver tongue.

After a few seconds, the three of Tyrant’s men glance at eachother, and the one who spoke up just says “Naw, man, keep it. Just take care of your girl.”

“If you ever decide you want to join up,”: The man in the lead says. “The firebirds treat you and your family right.”

You wave, thanking them, and move on, dragging your heavy duffel bag with you.

Back at your safehouse, Katie is sitting, lounging back in the sofa next to Michael. The former is sleeping, the latter staring mindlessly at the television set. You make your way through the den, heft up your new bag, and set it down at your worktable,

There’s a tickle in your brain- your power- almost makes you dive straight into work instantly, but you hold back the urge, temporarily. If you set up your tools and worktable here, it’ll be harder to move it later. Instead, you make your way through your safehouse, into the old storage room you hadn’t used in a year or two. It’s an hour of breaking down old cardboard boxes and piling things up, reorganizing them, before you have a nice open space for your tinker workshop.

Then, that all done, you begin your work. You add chemical mixes to cans and canisters, make some modifications to blowtorches, constructing a crucible to recycle broken glass…

“Whatcha working on?”

“Holy shit!” You jump about a foot in the air, completely lost in your work.

“Pff.” She snorts, laughing. “I’ve never seen you so focused.”

“It’s almost ready.”

“What are you even making?”

“A workbench.” You say.“It should have everything I’ll need to make things. Glassworks, mostly. Chemical pools, too. I have this one mix that should propagate and generate a small drip-feed of both primary and secondary catalysts,” You say, pointing to the small, dripping device that’s generating fluid from trace elements in the atmosphere.

“The hell does that mean?”

“They’re chemicals that allow me to recode shardmatter,” You respond. “Spoofing signals, reconfiguring the cognitive interface to extrude further into this reality to be divided, that sort of thing.”

“... Are you speaking english?” She asks.

“I guess not,” You say, eventually. “Did you get those supplies?”

“Yep,” She says. She flickers for a moment, fading out of reality. It’s similar to her teleportation, you know- but when she’s not moving, not being carried through the ‘otherspace’ with her momentum, she’s in a spot she can store things.

When she reappears, there’s a large orange crate in her hands- a heavy, bulky thing she can barely lift- she drops it as soon as she appears. You pop it open- there’s pure water in gallon containers, food and rations. Enough for a few weeks, with just the two of you.

“That thing held me back. Could barely use my power getting out of there.”

“How were the gangs?”

“Probably pretty pissed. They took the time to split everything up and went their separate ways after the drop. So, since the firebirds are still pretty fucking mad at me, I shot past and stole the crate after they left.”

“... They’re going to be out to kill you, you know,” You say. “You have to be more careful.”

“We took the black box,” She says. “They don’t know we… what, used it? Converted it?”

“Ate it,” You say.

“Yeah. They probably think I hid it somewhere. So they won’t kill me.”

“They’ll just interrogate you. Tie you up, maybe Tyrant will use his power on you-”

“He already did that, back when I went undercover.” She says.

“What?” You ask. You would have noticed if she was wearing a glowing collar. Tyrant would have been able to see through her eyes, torture her, paralyze her- even kill her from afar.

“Slipped it.” She says. “I just went into my little ‘otherspace’, and I was able to take it off, and then it fell apart.”

“... Jeez. That has some potential.”

“What do you mean?”

“That means that if I gave your power to someone- anyone- they could free themselves, too.”

“... Wouldn’t that mean taking my power away?”

“I could give it back afterward,” You say.

“I… I guess.” She says, looking away. “So what do you think we should do next? We have food and resources, but what’s the next step?”

Roll Result: 54, Success.
    Materials: 5
    Supplies: 6
    Tinkering: Nothing.

[] [Tinker] Upgrade the Injector (-6 Materials)
    [] [Tinker] Upgrade the Workbench (-6 Materials)
    [] [Tinker] Construct the Centrifuge. (-3 Materials)
    [] [Tinker] Construct the Analyser. (-3 Materials)
    [] [Tinker] Don’t build anything.

[] [Plan] If the Firebirds hate Skipper right now, it would be a perfect way to lure out their capes and ambush one.
    [] [Plan] See if you can recruit some old friends from the waterboys. None of them are capes, but with your power… they could be, eventually.
    [] [Plan] Sneak into Firebird territory, see if there are any imprisoned capes who would want to escape.
    [] [Plan] It'll be a risk to go scavenging so soon again, but you need the materials.
    [] [Plan] Something else? (Write-in)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  29. ompa60

ompa60 Versed in the lewd.

[X] [Tinker] Construct the Analyser. (-3 Materials)
    [X] [Plan] If the Firebirds hate Skipper right now, it would be a perfect way to lure out their capes and ambush one.

30. Parzival95

[X] [Tinker] Construct the Analyser. (-3 Materials)
    [X] [Plan] See if you can recruit some old friends from the waterboys. None of them are capes, but with your power… they could be, eventually.

Before we steal a power maybe we should find someone trustworthy to give it to.