• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Those who Dance in Shadows [Amber Quest/DCAU]

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

Imagine if this universe wasn't the only one, there is actually infinite other verses out there...

MerelysSoul

Warning: Tends to irreverent in most situations.
Imagine if this universe wasn't the only one, there is actually infinite other verses out there. Some which are alternate versions of our own and other completely alien to all we know. One verse could be where the Holy Roman Empire truly conquered the whole world and another could have the human race has been replaced with metallic versions of the dinosaurs. Beauty in a myriad of forms can be found alongside danger hidden behind every step. Welcome to the Shadows, where both adventure and survival are merely two sides of the same coin.

Sounds like fun right?

Yeah, not really any fun when you know the truth. See, there is more to the Shadows that most realize, a lot more.

It started long ago, in bizarre place called the Courts of Chaos. The Courts was where form, stability and general stuff like Order was thrown out the window. Here, only constant change and chaos ruled under the eye of the emperor. Until one day, one Denizen of the Courts named Dworkin traversed the ever-changing multi-dimensional labyrinth, the Logrus. There at the center of the maddening maze, laid a serpent with ruby eyes. Dworkin ripped out one of the eyes and fled far from the courts with the Unicorn. With the Eye of the Chaos Serpent, the former noble would weave into existence the Pattern from which all of reality would come into being.

Oh, you think we are done? Still haven't talked about Amber, the One True World.

After completing the Pattern, Dworkin and the Unicorn of Order formed a union. It would be from this union that their son, Oberon the first Amberite. This one man would take the Eye of the Serpent and rename it, the Jewel of Judgement. Using it, he would forge what would Kingdom of Amber as its first king and rule over the Shadows. See, that particular term came to be used for all are shadow and reflections of Amber. From there he would give birth to many children, only a few are known and even fewer are legitimate. However, recently Patternfall war had begun and ended with the crowning of Prince Random and the supposed end of Oberon.

Yes, that is right, Dworkin slept with the Unicorn and gave birth to the Royal Bloodline of Amber. Not to meantion, that we are just reflections of Amber twisted by the Courts of Chaos.

So who are you? Are you of the Royal Blood of Amber whose power comes from the Pattern and represent Order? Perhaps you are a Noble Denizen of the Courts, helping your household fulfill its plans whatever they may be? Could you be a person or creature of Shadow who can traverse into others who now tries to survive all the greater forces? Or just maybe, you are born between Chaos and Order as a Dual-Heritage Child caught in the struggle for power?

[] Prince of Amber
You have the blood of the Royal Bloodline of Amber flowing inside your veins. Perhaps you are a Lost Child, illegitimate child of Oberon that has been found? Or maybe one of your parents is a child of Oberon, making him your grandfather? Either way, you are able to traverse the unchanging Pattern and gain its power. Your natural enemies are those of Chaos, however they aren't you greatest threat. For one of your family is more dangerous than any unknown threat as a particular saying goes. "It's better to trust a stranger then a relative for at least with a stranger you have a chance of being safe."
[] Lord of the Courts
Born into the Noble Households of the Chaos, you are a Lord of the Courts and a fledgling one at that. Traversing and surviving the ever-changing and maddening labyrinthine construct, the Logrus. In doing so, you attain the power it bestows along with better shape-shifting. Your natural enemies are those of Order, but unlike your counter parts, you rarely have anything to fear from your peers. Using your powers, you now help your Household to achieve its goal, whatever it may be.
[] Dual-Hertiage Child
Sometimes there are unions between Amber and the Courts, resulting in those born between the two forces. This is you, inside is the dualistic powers of Order and Chaos, of the Pattern of the Logrus. Immune to both, you can survive traversing both and wield their combined powers. However, this comes at a price, being a child of two worlds such as yours. This means you are often caught in power struggles inside and outside those worlds. For you are a rare and extremely importance piece, one that the Elders know how to use for their own gain. (-25 dev point)
[] Magical Person/Creature
Finding out that there are other worlds besides your own, either as a Magus or a Magical Creature, you have started to learn the truth. Unlike the others, you are weak, inferior and could be easily crushed by the forces between Amber and the Courts. However, being small has its benefits if your cards are played just right and know how to survive the games that are played out. But the trick is to survive and out in the Shadows, that could be a very difficult thing. (+25 dev point)

[] Optional - Crossover (for those who wish it, I could do this as one. However, I must approve of the candidate before it becomes an official vote)

Will answer any questions you may have.

-- Character Information--
Tim_Drake_YJ_2.png

Name: Timothy Jackson Drake-Wayne, "Tim Drake"
Superhero Alias: Robin
Race: Amberite - Royal Blood
Current Occupation: Superhero Sidekick
Personal Colors: Red and Black
Personal Symbol: A Red Robin

Attributes
Strength 15
Endurance 15
Psyche 32
Warfare 30

Abilities

Regeneration
You can heal wounds that are not Instantly Fatal and aren't Dangerously Weak or Ill.

Longevity
Amberite age, but at a very slow rate.

High Status
When in Amber, Golden Circle or anywhere that has Positive Relations with Amber, you are considered a Royal and Almost God.

Blood Curse
Upon death or under extreme duress, you can utter a dark curse. You can only do this once in you life, it will be terrible to hear and will come true in someway. This can also backfire on you, so be warned if you do this for once used can never be truly undone.

Ability to Traverse the Pattern
As a descendant of Dworkin, Creator of the Pattern, you have the power to walk the pattern and survive. Anyone else death is certain, even for the greatest of Shadow Dwellers. This also allows them access to the power of the Pattern.

Enemies: Denizen of Chaos
All those of Chaos are your natural enemies. This includes Demons, Vampires and other assorted nasties that lurk in the Courts of Chaos and the nearby Shadows. Important to Note is that Dworkin was once a Denizen himself so these are relatives of his.

Logrus/Chaos Vulnerability
Objects of pure chaos and denizens can drain away your power and other things at prolonged contact. Thus you must be careful when dealing these forces.

Duty to Defend Amber
As a Royal of Amber you are expected to uphold the safety of Amber above all else and come to her aid when needed. Also to respond when summoned before her king, if your help is required.

Cast Shadows
Since you are more real then the shadows you traverse, your presence and actions cause a ripple affect. These actions can be mimicked in surrounding with differences. Thus you must be careful for your actions don't just effect a single shadow.

Suspicious
You are naturally suspicious of those around you and thus it is hard to truly make friends or even trust them. However, despite all that, your truly most heartfelt suspicions are directed to your own family in Amber. For as they say about your family, "It's better to trust a stranger then a relative for at least with a stranger you have a chance of being safe."

Infertile
Since you are real and those of Shadow are not, you will find that you will reproduce very little in terms of offspring. Only other Amberites or Chaosians will give you a much greater chance of producing offspring. However, the Late King Oberon had forbidden incestuous relationship between the family so your best choice, ironically, is with your natural enemy.

Powers (will work on later)

Pattern- Initiate Level

Trumps- Initiate Level

Magic- Initiate Level

Spikard- Initiate Level

Skills
Investigation – Mastery
Melee Combat – Mastery

Items

Special
Leather Armor – This simple but exquisitely crafted armor is made from the hide of some hellish from an equally hellish far-flung shadow. It's proof against many weapons, including slashing and piercing weapons, firearms, explosions and fire. It's dyed black and red, what Merlin has decided are Tim's personal colors.
Shadow Cloak – This simple, hooded black cloak was given to Tim alongside the armor. The cloak subtly manipulates shadows to better hide the user, rendering him nearly invisible in many circumstances. A secondary application of this ability helps to hide the users identity as a permanent, impenetrable shroud of shadow conceals the users face while the hood is pulled up.
Trumps- A deck of tarot cards that allow you to contact other trump users even if they are shadows apart. Contains the royal family plus your half brother.

Regular
Collapsible electrified staff- Works only in DC Shadow.
Birdarangs
Explosive pellets
Rebreather
Utility Belt
Holographic computer- Works only in DC Shadow

Relationships
Corwin (Biological Father- missing entire life - Negative Relationship)
Merlin (Half-brother - found when young and helped raised- Positive Relationship but strained)
Janet (Mother - Died when young but raised him with love - Positive Relationship)
Bruce Wayne, Batman (Mentor/surrogate Father- Placed in his care by Merlin- Positive Relationship)
Royal Family of Amber (Biological Family- Never really met- Neutral relationship)
Bat Family (surrogate family- helped take care of him- Positive Relationship)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Those who Dance in Shadows [Amber Quest]

[X] Prince of Amber
[X] Familiar of Zero

Xicree said:
[X] Prince of Amber
[X] Familiar of Zero

1 for Prince of Amber

and I approve of the crossover candidate so
1 for Familiar of Zero

[X] Lord of the Courts
[X] DCAU

Psh. Logrus rules, Pattern drools.

Disminded said:
[X] Lord of the Courts
[X] DCAU

Psh. Logrus rules, Pattern drools.

1 for the Lord of the Courts

and Approved
1 for DCAU

[X] Prince of Amber

[X] Marvel Universe

[X] Lord of the Courts
[X] DCAU

[X] Lord of the Courts
[X] DCAU

Er, boss? There's really no need to count up every vote and post immediately afterword what the count is.

It'd probably be better just to wait a set amount of time, then count all the votes at once.

[X] Lord of the Courts
[X] DCAU

Good show on starting a quest.

Darik29 said:
Er, boss? There's really no need to count up every vote and post immediately afterword what the count is.

It'd probably be better just to wait a set amount of time, then count all the votes at once.
Everyone has their own way of things.

Valette-Serafina said:
[X] Lord of the Courts
[X] DCAU

Good show on starting a quest.
Everyone has their own way of things.
4 for Chaos
4 for DCAU

Thank you.
Yeah this helps since I look at the last few and know the score.

Right then.

Say, I recall that Chaos Lords were experts at Shapeshifting, and doing some crazy stuff, but I can't actually remember much about them. I read The Lords of Amber book through the first book, and into the one where the son of the dude from the first book set out to find his father in the second book, but I never got past that point.

Anyone mind valuing me in about Lords of Chaos?

Darik29 said:
Right then.

Say, I recall that Chaos Lords were experts at Shapeshifting, and doing some crazy stuff, but I can't actually remember much about them. I read The Lords of Amber book through the first book, and into the one where the son of the dude from the first book set out to find his father in the second book, but I never got past that point.

Lords of Chaos have shapeshifting because that is the only way to traverse the Logrus. They can take any form they desire, however, if you posses a power like the Pattern and a few other things, the enemy can spot you.

The second guy is Merlin, Son of Prince Corwin of Amber (protaganist of the first 5 books) and Lady Dara of Chaos, a Dual-Heritage Child. He at the end of his set would become Emperor of the Courts after plots from all sides. Also created Ghostwheel, one of the cool supercomputer AI in fiction.

Okay, going by my knowledge of the Chronicles of Amber I have the following to say about the various options open to us.

Prince of Amber
Okay, this option gives us useful and straightforward power. Using the Pattern, being able to walk through Shadow and seek out about anything you want, is incredibly useful even if many such things are going to be limited to working where they came from or very 'nearby' places. The downsides ere definitely family, family, and family. You do not want to know how scary the elder members of your family can be.

Lord of the Courts
A more... varied power than that gained by the Princes of Amber, but it has its downsides. IIRC, it is slower for travel and while it isn't listed as a downside per se you are pretty tied into your house. And it's worth noting that 'Order' has very potent individuals in it.

Dual-Hertiage Child
This choice seemingly translates into 'being the person who the powerful people want to have under their thumb or gotten rid of'. Potentially we'd have a lot of power, but managing to develop that potential without being in a tag of war between the sides would be hard. It'd likely take smart voting to make use of this properly and, frankly, that doesn't happen in Quest threads.

Magical Person/Creature
My view on this is: Nope. In theory there's potential here, but it's worth keeping in mind that magic (like technology) is tied to specific Shadows or region in Shadow. So it's perfectly likely that, without the raw reality of Order or Chaos backing us, our powers or tricks will flat out not work most places we go. And it is likely that we lack, or have very limited, ability to move between Shadows.

After considering matters I would vote for being aligned with Order. While you do have family as being a big danger, it is simply a potential one and the family is small enough (and we're not powerful enough) that it might be considered a waste to just get rid of us casually.

[X] Prince of Amber.

Merior said:
Okay, going by my knowledge of the Chronicles of Amber I have the following to say about the various options open to us.

Prince of Amber
Okay, this option gives us useful and straightforward power. Using the Pattern, being able to walk through Shadow and seek out about anything you want, is incredibly useful even if many such things are going to be limited to working where they came from or very 'nearby' places. The downsides ere definitely family, family, and family. You do not want to know how scary the elder members of your family can be.

Lord of the Courts
A more... varied power than that gained by the Princes of Amber, but it has its downsides. IIRC, it is slower for travel and while it isn't listed as a downside per se you are pretty tied into your house. And it's worth noting that 'Order' has very potent individuals in it.

Dual-Hertiage Child
This choice seemingly translates into 'being the person who the powerful people want to have under their thumb or gotten rid of'. Potentially we'd have a lot of power, but managing to develop that potential without being in a tag of war between the sides would be hard. It'd likely take smart voting to make use of this properly and, frankly, that doesn't happen in Quest threads.

Magical Person/Creature
My view on this is: Nope. In theory there's potential here, but it's worth keeping in mind that magic (like technology) is tied to specific Shadows or region in Shadow. So it's perfectly likely that, without the raw reality of Order or Chaos backing us, our powers or tricks will flat out not work most places we go. And it is likely that we lack, or have very limited, ability to move between Shadows.

After considering matters I would vote for being aligned with Order. While you do have family as being a big danger, it is simply a potential one and the family is small enough (and we're not powerful enough) that it might be considered a waste to just get rid of us casually.

[X] Prince of Amber.

3 for Amber

On what you said, you are right. Each has their up and downs. However for the last option, I do have some stuff that can help. This stuff does include Spikards (rings that allow you to tap into great power), Broken Pattern/Crippled Logrus (lesser shadows of the Real one), Tragoliths (blue crystrals with special powers) and a few other sources. I am just putting this out there to show that Magical Being/Shadow Dweller can be something.

[X] Prince of Amber
[Q] Twilight
[X] Pokemon

That means that I'm joking and the vote is not serious at all.
Because sparkling wannabe vampires.

kinglugia said:
That means that I'm joking and the vote is not serious at all.
Because sparkling wannabe vampires.
Ah

anyway, thanks for your vote. Any questions you may have, I am willing to answer.

Darik29 said:
Right then.

The Logrus has a few interesting abilities.

First, as stated, to even walk the Logrus you need to be able to shapeshift. Most Lords of Chaos shapeshift into demon forms that are good for combat. So that's nifty.

Secondly, the logrus has an ability comparable to Ambers shadowwalking. Instead of moving directly through shadow toward what they desire, they can send out logrus tendrils to search shadow for a desired object and pull it towards them or them towards it. More mundanely, you can use these Logrus tendrils for direct physical manipulation of nearby objects. When used for physical manipulation or combat, the strength of these tendrils depends on the strength of your will.

Thirdly, the logrus can be used to enhance senses, allowing you to see magic, pattern and chaos effects, and other things.

Fourthly, the Logrus can be used to hang spells for sorcery... though it should be noted that in the Amber-verse, sorcery, while pretty cool, is usually a pale shadow of the bullshit that a Logrus or Pattern master can pull off. Still, it can be useful.

Fifthly, the Logrus can be used to shield against... well, pretty much everything really. It might be weaker against Pattern-based attacks, but I'm not sure.

And then we get to advanced applications of the Logrus. With the advanced pattern, you can carve out your own shadow, alter the rules of reality across an entire shadow, summon and control creatures of chaos (demons), sever and animate a portion of the Logrus as a servant and summon primal chaos, which is capable of devastating entire universes.

This is all straight from the Amber Diceless core rulebook. In fairness, it must be admitted that Pattern workers are also quite powerful, I just like the aesthetics of the Logrus better.

Disminded said:
The Logrus has a few interesting abilities.

First, as stated, to even walk the Logrus you need to be able to shapeshift. Most Lords of Chaos shapeshift into demon forms that are good for combat. So that's nifty.

Secondly, the logrus has an ability comparable to Ambers shadowwalking. Instead of moving directly through shadow toward what they desire, they can send out logrus tendrils to search shadow for a desired object and pull it towards them or them towards it. More mundanely, you can use these Logrus tendrils for direct physical manipulation of nearby objects. When used for physical manipulation or combat, the strength of these tendrils depends on the strength of your will.

Thirdly, the logrus can be used to enhance senses, allowing you to see magic, pattern and chaos effects, and other things.

Fourthly, the Logrus can be used to hang spells for sorcery... though it should be noted that in the Amber-verse, sorcery, while pretty cool, is usually a pale shadow of the bullshit that a Logrus or Pattern master can pull off. Still, it can be useful.

Fifthly, the Logrus can be used to shield against... well, pretty much everything really. It might be weaker against Pattern-based attacks, but I'm not sure.

And then we get to advanced applications of the Logrus. With the advanced pattern, you can carve out your own shadow, alter the rules of reality across an entire shadow, summon and control creatures of chaos (demons), sever and animate a portion of the Logrus as a servant and summon primal chaos, which is capable of devastating entire universes.

This is all straight from the Amber Diceless core rulebook. In fairness, it must be admitted that Pattern workers are also quite powerful, I just like the aesthetics of the Logrus better.

Yeah, Pattern and Logrus, being funmental forces that create the Shadows, aka reality, they can do stuff like that. However, there are other forces that can also do the same thing, like the Keep of Four Worlds, Corwin's Pattern or Ghostwheel.

It's usually a bad idea for the Pattern and the Logrus to touch since it neutralizes each other, and depending on how much is summoned, the entire shadow you are in. Amberites and Chaosians are naturally weak towards the other's power. Prince of Amber loses power when in place of pure chaos while a Lord of Chaos needs to be careful around Pattern Blades.

I am using both the Diceless RPG and my old man's Notes/Conversion into GURPS. So it will have more then your standard stuff.

[me=Biigoh]breaks tie....[/me]

[X] Amber!

Biigoh said:
[me=Biigoh]breaks tie....[/me]

[X] Amber!

Calling it.

5 for Amber [WINNING VOTE]
4 for Chaos
0 for Dual
0 for Magic

4 for DCAU [WINNING VOTE]
1 for Familiar of Zero
1 for Pokemon
1 for Marvel

Alright, Time for the MC.

Tim Drake (Robin #3- Young Justice)
Son of Corwin - Starter: Inexperienced

Now for other stuff.

Since Prince of Amber was chosen, here is what you will get as an Amberite.

Gifts

Regeneration
You can heal wounds that are not Instantly Fatal and aren't Dangerously Weak or Ill.

Longevity
Amberite age, but at a very slow rate.

High Status
When in Amber, Golden Circle or anywhere that has Positive Relations with Amber, you are considered a Royal and Almost God.

Blood Curse
Upon death or under extreme duress, you can under a dark curse. You can only do this once in you life, it will be terrible to hear and will come true in someway. This can also backfire on you, so be warned if you do this for once used can never be truly undone.

Ability to Traverse the Pattern
As a descendant of Dworkin, Creator of the Pattern, you have the power to walk the pattern and survive. Anyone else and death is certain even for the greatest of Shadow Dwellers. This also allows them access to the power of the Pattern.

Enemies: Denizen of Chaos
All those of Chaos are your natural enemies. This includes Demons, Vampires and other assorted nasties that lurk in the Courts of Chaos and the nearby Shadows. Important to Note is that Dworkin was once a Denizen himself so these are relatives of his.

Logrus/Chaos Vulnerability
Objects of pure chaos and denizens can drain away your power and other things at prolonged contact. Thus you must be careful when dealing these forces.

Duty to Defend Amber
As a Royal of Amber you are expected to uphold the safety of Amber above all else and come to her aid when needed. Also to respond when summoned before her king, if your help is required.

Cast Shadows
Since you are more real then the shadows you traverse, your presence and actions cause a ripple affect. These actions can be mimicked in surrounding with differences. Thus you must be careful for your actions don't just effect a single shadow.

Suspicious
You are naturally suspicious of those around you and thus it is hard to truly make friends or even trust them. However, despite all that, your truly most heartfelt suspicions are directed to your own family in Amber. For as they say about your family, "It's better to trust a stranger then a relative for at least with a stranger you have a chance of being safe."

Infertile
Since you are real and those of Shadow are not, you will find that you will reproduce very little in terms of offspring. Only other Amberites or Chaosians will give you a much greater chance of producing offspring. However, the Late King Oberon had forbidden incestuous relationship between the family so your best choice, ironically, is with your natural enemy.

Powers

Pattern
You have access to one of the most fundamental powers of reality.

Trumps
You have access to your Trump Cards, which act as a form of communication across shadows and if need form of transportation.

Stat Points - 92

Strength-
Endurance-
Psyche-
Warfare-

Development Points - 40

Powers

Pattern- Initiate Level

Trumps- Initiate Level

Skill

Item Points - 4

System

Powers
Pattern- 25 per level
Logrus- 25 per level
Jewel of Judgment- 25 per level
Broken Patter/Crippled Logrus- 5,10,15
Trumps- 10 per level
Magic- 10 per level
Fount of Four World- 10 per level
Spikard- 10 per level
Pattern Blades- 10 per level
Tragoliths- 5 per level

Skills
Level 1 - Apprentice - 1 pt
Level 2 - Basic Training - 3 pt
Level 3 - Moderate Training - 5 pt
Level 4 - Extensive Training - 8 pt
Level 5 - Mastery - 10 pt

Items
Fine Amber Items- 1pt
Fine Quality Amber Steed- 1pt
Magic, Power or Created Items- 1pt per 100 Creation pts
Pattern Weapons- 4pt
Private Troops- 1pt (guard size- under 100), 2pt (Military unit- under 1000), 3pt (Army- over 1000)
Private Shadow- 1pt (Weathy and Repected), 4pt (King), 6pt (Living God)

Write-in

The Creation System

Size
Deck of cards- 10pt
Baseball Bat - 20pt
Chair- 30pt
Desk- 40pt
Car- 50pt
Room- 60pt
House- 70pt
Ship- 80pt
Bigger- Negotiate with GM

Create Object or Creature Adding
All Stats- 1pt per stat
-if living then Psyche x3
All powers as bought by char- 100pt (minor), 300pt (moderate), 500pt (Major)
All spell-like abilities as if creating the spell- 50pt per spell
If capable of traveling trough shadow- 100pt
If altered in ways unnatural to it- 10pt per alterations.

Strength- 25
Endurance- 30
Psyche- 20
Warfare- 22

Powers:
Pattern- Initiate Level
Trumps- Initiate Level
Tragoliths - Initiate Level: 5 Points

Skill:
Investigation - Moderate Training: 5 Points
Melee Combat - Extensive Training: 8 Points
Driving - Moderate Training: 5 Points
Computers - Moderate Training: 5 Points
Throwing - Extensive Training: 8 Points
Interrogation - Basic Training: 3 Points

Items:
Fine Amber Item - Collapsible Staff: 1 Point
Created Items: 2 Points
Private Shadow: 1 Point.

Created Items:
Homing Bird-arangs x5: 100 Creation Points.
Multi-Function Lockpick: 10 Creation Points.
Stealth System (Invisibility spell-based): 60 Points
Smoke Bombs x3: 30 Points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back