• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Upon Wings of Starlight and Determination (Undertale Yellow)

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Clover is gone, but the lives that he touched go on. None more so than that of the bird monster, Martlet, who is grieving the young human and what could have been. Yet, in her grief, she starts having wierd visions, remembering things that never happened. What is going on and why, is a mystery, and one that she will solve. Others take note of this, and a flower plots in the darkness as the world begins heading towards a new dawn...
Summary New

Harry Leferts

Experienced.
Clover is gone, but the lives that he touched go on. None more so than that of the bird monster, Martlet, who is grieving the young human and what could have been. Yet, in her grief, she starts having wierd visions, remembering things that never happened. What is going on and why, is a mystery, and one that she will solve. Others take note of this, and a flower plots in the darkness as the world begins heading towards a new dawn...

Chapter 1 New
Seeing Ceroba's expression falling and the fox monster closing her eyes, Martlet felt as if a giant hand had wrapped itself around her chest and squeezed, "C-Clover… a-are they…?"

Very slowly, Ceroba nodded with a small sigh, "… Yes, I just heard them stop breathing."

Closing his own eyes, Starlo lowered the brim of his hat, "… Goodbye, Deputy, ride on into that there sunset, cowboy."

A sob choking out of her beak, the bird monster covered her own face with her wings, "Clover… I… I am so sorry…"

Each of them stood there for minute or two in silence for the young human who had done so much for them and touched their lives so. Then, seeing Martlet turn and begin to walk away, Starlo blinked some, "Feathers? Where are you going?"

Pausing, it was obvious that Martlet's cheek feathers were wet with tears, "I… there's a store nearby that sells containers for dust, urns. I… I'm just going to quickly head over and get one be-because… s-s-so that I can gather Clover's dust a-and gi-give them a p-proper send off."

She was about to turn around again when Ceroba spoke up softly, "Martlet… humans don't turn into dust when they die."

Upon hearing that, the bird-monster stopped and turned with surprise on her face breaking through the sadness and grief, "T-they don't?"

Very slowly, Ceroba shook her head, "No, they don't." Far off look on her face, she was silent for a few moments before continuing, "Us monsters, when we die, we turn to dust because our magic was holding us together. Humans… don't need magic to do that, so when they die, they're bodies just… stay around. F-from what I heard, th-they rot or are eaten by animals and-" Spotting Martlet moving towards where they had come from, the fox monster blinked, "Martlet?"

Reaching the entrance to the staircase that would take them to the roof where Clover was, Martlet paused before turning her head slightly, "I… If Clover is there, I'm not going to just leave them laying there for s-something to happen to."

With that, she turned back to the entrance and entered it. It did not take Martlet long to reach the balcony where the fight happened and she came to a stop for several moments as she considered if she wanted to see what Clover looked like. Briefly closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and stepped out onto the balcony. For a moment or two, the bird-monster could only see the petals swirling in the air before they spotted them.

There, against one wall, was Clover, sitting with his back against the wall and head lowered.

For a brief moment, Martlet could almost convince herself that said child was just taking a nap, they looked so peaceful. But… then, she noticed that their chest no longer rose or fell, but just the same, she took a step forward and spoke around the lump in her throat, "C-Clover? Clover?!"

But no one answered.

Hands clenching, Martlet released another sob as she felt yet more tears trickle down her cheeks and she bowed her head. Giving herself a few minutes, she then raised her head and looked at her friend through blurry eyes before walking over. Upon reaching him, the monster observed Clover before brushing their hair away from their eyes. Seeing Clover's brown eyes which once sparkled with joy, excitement, and life now dull and cloudy made her chest ache all over again.

Gently, she reached towards him and paused for a moment before carefully closing those eyes for the final time. Shoulders shaking, Martlet sobbed more before placing her wings under him to support his body. Ever so gently, she lifted him up and his head rolled limply before she shifted her wings to place it against her shoulder to support it as she stood, her voice a quiet whisper as she buried her beak into his brown, mussed up hair, "I have you, Clover… I have you…"

Pulling back for a moment, she looked at him as he laid in her arms and felt her very soul ache as she could once more almost imagine that he was just sleeping. And, for a moment, Martlet imagined a never-will. Where Clover had taken her offer and come to stay with her. How she would likely pick him up after a day of playing with the Feisty Five, with him falling asleep in her arms as she carried him back to Snowden. And how she would tuck him into his bed and nuzzle his hair with her beak-

Quickly shaking such images from her head as it felt like her soul was once more going to break, the blue-feathered monster took a moment before turning and walking towards the exit from the balcony.

Both Starlo and Ceroba were waiting for her once she returned carrying Clover's body, with a new wave of fresh tears trickling down the two monster's faces. Walking over, the lone male softly sighed as he took in his friend, "... He looks like he's just sleeping."

Voice soft, Martlet just nodded as she swallowed the lump in her throat, "And I wish that he just was..."

After a few moments, the Sheriff looked towards the Royal Guard, his tone gentle and understanding, "Do you want me to carry him for you?"

Unconsciously, Martlet's hold on Clover tightened, "No... I... I'll carry him."

Her two friends simply nodded as they fell in behind her as they began to walk towards the castle. It did not take them very long, with various people watching, some quietly whispering to each other in excitement at seeing the contained human SOUL. Seeing that, it took everything for Martlet to not snap at them as she felt anger bubble up inside of her. How dare they... HOW DARE THEY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF THE BOY IN HER ARMS!?

It took a great deal of effort, but... she managed to shove down her anger and instead keep walking, though she could tell that Starlo and Ceroba both were equally angry as she was and for the same reason.

Finally, however, they reached their destination and entered the castle, though it did not miss Martlet's notice as they walked through the Judgement hall that there was a figure in shadow with a glowing blue eye watching them. After a moment, said eye winked out and the person simply gave them a nod of respect before walking behind one of the columns... and vanishing into thin air. Deciding to ignore that, she just kept walking and soon arrived at the throne room and found Asgore watering flowers there. Swallowing, it took a few tries for Martlet to speak before she managed, "Y-your Majesty... we..."

A hum escaping from him, Asgore turned and gave them a smile, "Ah, welcome, would you like to sit and... have... a... tea...:" Upon seeing what was in their arms, his expression fell, "Oh. I see." Slowly walking forward, the boss monster sighed, "I had heard that another human had fallen into the Underground-"

"Clover."

Blinking, Asgore turned towards Martlet, who was shaking some, "I'm... sorry?"

Shoulders shaking, Martlet raised her gaze to him with burning intensity, "Clover. His name is Clover! Not Human. Not Yellow SOUL. His name is CLOVER!" Looking back down at her face, another sob broke free of her throat, "He... he gave up his SOUL to free us, willingly giving it up. B-because he wanted us to be free."

Moments passed before the King bowed his head in apology with his gaze softening, "My apologies, I had not heard Clover's name before." For a second or two, he was silent before sighing, "You were close?"

Not trusting her voice, Martlet simply nodded in answer as more tears escaped her eyes. When she finally spoke, her voice was rough with emotion, "Very, your Highness."

Just silently considering them, Asgore then held out his hands, "May I take him?"

Clutching Clover closer, the blue bird-monster shook her head, "I... I don't... no, I..."

Very slowly nodding with an understanding expression on his face, Asgore softly sighed, "I... lived among humans, before the Barrier. I know of their ways when it comes to their dead and..." Releasing a breath, he shook his head, "They would be either buried under the ground, or in mausoleums. The first is... not possible at this time, and so I had the second done, and there Clover will rest."

Her beak moving as she looked between Clover's still form and the King, Martlet shook her head, "I... I just... I don't want to let him go..."

Eyes closing, Asgore gently embraced her as she sobbed, "I know... I know..." Giving her several minutes, he then pulled back with understanding on his face, "... Please, follow me then." As he turned, it looked like he carried the weight of the Underground's entire ceiling on his shoulders as the three other monsters followed. Near to the entrance of the mausoleum, which itself looked like the entrance to the Ruins that Martlet had seen once in Snowden, Asgore guided them into a small room that had a stone bed and a chest nearby. Considering the room for a few moments, the King then turned towards them, "Humans often buried their dead in a shroud of sorts, and so, I wrap the Fallen Humans with bandages of monster spider silk contained in the chest here. It helps slow down decay, and so that when the Barrier is broken, they can be properly buried."

Nodding, Martlet looked at the other two, who were waiting and her eyes fell on Clover's hat, which Starlo was holding. Then, she turned towards Asgore and shook a little, "Can... can we leave some things for Clover?"

With his own eyes suspiciously wet, the King simply nodded, "Of course."

Then, he took a step back and allowed for Martlet to lay gently lay Clover on the stone bed. Fingers brushing through his hair, the bird monster shook her head, "Clover, I..."

Silently walking up, Starlo placed a hand on her shoulder before turning towards Clover. Contemplating him for a time through his tears, he then reached for his badge and removed it before carefully pinning it on the human's vest, "Almost... almost forgot, Deputy. Ya need your badge, after all."

Joining them, Ceroba took a bell from her outfit and placed it in one of Clover's pockets, "I... I am sorry, Clover. So very sorry, for everything."

Both of them then stepped back as their blue-feathered friend stood. Then, Marlet reached for some of her feathers and yanked them out with a wince before charging them with magic. She then placed them in one of Clover's hands and curled the fingers around them, "I... this way, you have a piece of me with you, Clover... forever, like I'll have a piece of you in my SOUL."

All of them gave Martlet a few moments to simply sit there as she had her hands over Clover's, before the bird monster stood back, letting go of Clover's hands reluctantly. Nearly as soon as she did so, both Starlo and Ceroba were there to comfort her. Together, the three of them watched as Asgore carefully and gently wrapped the silk bandages from the chest around Clover's form. Bit, by bit, he disappeared beneath the cloth wraps, until he was finally covered from head to toe with the bandages.

Reaching for the human's body, however, the King paused as the bird monster was there instead. With a glance in his direction, Martlet gently lifted Clover off the stone bed as she softly murmured, "… I'll do it."

Very slowly, Asgore gave a nod of agreement, "Of course, my apologies."

Backing away, he watched as Martlet shifted Clover's body some before she nodded as she held him close. They then followed the King out of the room and to the nearby mausoleum where they found stone coffins, many of which had a carved gemstone representing the SOUL of the human that they contained. One of them, Asgore came to a stop by and slid the lid off to reveal it to be empty before he backed away with a bow and a soft murmur.

Her feet feeling as if they were made of led, the blue-bird monster made her way towards the coffin and paused as her arms shook. She… she did not want to leave Clover here, she wanted him with her. To see him breathing and laughing and smiling, and everything else with her. Not… not the heavy weight in her arms that did not move, and not to leave him in this cold room under the castle.

Feeling a hand on her shoulder, she turned and found Asgore looking at her with a kind, understanding gaze, "I am so very sorry for this…"

Just turning her head away, Martlet nodded, "I know…" Sniffles escaping from her as she felt her eyes tear up once more, she looked into the coffin, "… I… I know your declaration, your Majesty. But… I was going to try and… and convince you to let Clover live with me. I was going to take him into my home and we'd spend time… I even had a room picked out and… and now…"

If anything, the King's gaze softened, "Ah, I see… you may not believe this, but I do understand where you are coming from. Truly, I actually do…" He closed his eyes and shuddered some before shaking his head, "… As well, I wish that there was another way, that you would not have to suffer this pain that I am so familiar with."

Still looking into the coffin, Martlet said nothing as her vision blurred before she spoke up, "I… Starlo? C-can you… can you come here?"

Making his way over, the star-headed monster placed a hand on her arm, "Of course, Feathers, what do you need me to do?"

Briefly glancing at him, Martlet took a deep breath before releasing it, "Can… can you hold Clover for me? Just… just for a moment?"

Gently smiling, Starlo held out his arms with a nod, "You don't even need to ask."

Once Clover was out of her arms, the Royal Guardsman took a deep breath and reached for the hem of her sweater, which she pulled up and over her head. Then, carefully, she folded it first in half, then again, until it was a square that she set into the coffin. Gently taking Clover back, Martlet turned back to the coffin and set Clover into it with his head on her sweater, "He… he didn't have a pillow for his head."

Nodding, Asgore gave a murmur, "Ah, of course… forgot about such things."

Just standing at the side of the coffin, Martlet listened as Starlo and Ceroba gave their last goodbyes, the fox monster finally handing over Clover's SOUL to the King. Placing one hand on the glass that separated her from the yellow SOUL, part of the bird monster swore that it was warm, with her other on Clover's body, "… Goodbye for now, Clover. O-o-one da-day, we'll s-see each other a-again and… and we'll fly together, i-in the blue skies and clouds… together."

Unable to meet her eyes as she sobbed, Asgore turned away for several moments, his own eyes closed before he reached for the coffin lid and slowly slid it into place.

Far too soon for any of the three non-Boss Monsters, they were back in the throne room and were about to leave when the bird monster stopped as she remembered something, "… Your Majesty?"

Turning towards her, Asgore blinked and nodded as he came out of what inner thoughts plagued him, "Yes, Martlet?"

With a glance towards Ceroba, Martlet took a deep breath, "Clover… he had one request, before he gave us his SOUL."

Eyebrows raising, the King gave a small bow, "If it is possible, I'll grant it."

Giving a shaky nod, Martlet turned fully towards him, "He… wished for Ceroba to have access to his SOUL so that she… she can save her daughter with an extract."

Rather surprised, Asgore looked towards the fox monster, "An extract of his SOUL?"

Her shoulders shaking, Ceroba nodded, "My… daughter was exposed to an extract turned into a syrum made from the Integrity SOUL. B-but be-because they had killed monsters… it was impure. Clover never killed a monster, his is pure and… and should counteract the original…"

Simply nodding, the Boss Monster smiled sadly, "Then, in this case, I see no reason not to grant such a request."

At that, Ceroba's shoulders slumped in relief, "… Thank you, your Majesty."

With that, the three of them turned and left… feeling like they had left a bit of themselves behind as well in the end…

Back