• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

What the fuck is convoluted?

Daytripper

Connoisseur.
What the fuck does a story or a plot line being convoluted mean? I'm getting frustrated because I had an idea to fix a story element in one of my fics that was called convoluted but the solution I had was also called convoluted.

Gah!

Needlessly complicated often to the point of negatively impacting the rest of the work or ruining the plot point you're trying to make. An example would be Taylor Vargas.
Example from Google
(especially of an argument, story, or sentence) extremely complex and difficult to follow.
"its convoluted narrative encompasses all manner of digressions"

Last edited:
For example, imagine that your character is coming up with a plan to defeat an enemy army. He could come up with some incredibly complex plan with a bunch of moving parts, or he could just do a pincer maneuver.

Though that's not to say that the former could never be useful. You could have him try it only to lose badly because "no plan survives first contact with the enemy," and it helps to humble and teach him.

What the fuck does a story or a plot line being convoluted mean? I'm getting frustrated because I had an idea to fix a story element in one of my fics that was called convoluted but the solution I had was also called convoluted.

Gah!
In addition to the answers above, "convoluted" can also pop up when someone has a vague understanding of a certain component of the plot which was portrayed clearly to other readers.

Or if- due to story length/update schedule- forgotten details are key components of the "convoluted" plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back