1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHF or WH40K?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alexander, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

After so long I have started considering playing the real Warhammer: painting miniatures, playing games with them and so on. It also helps that one of the official GW shops is close to my home.

So I ask all fellow enthusiasts: should I start with Age of Sigmar, successor of Warhammer Fantasy, or the 8th Edition of Warhammer 40.000?

AcridComet likes this.
  2. AcridComet

AcridComet Experienced.

That's a complex question, to which I say; which army do you like more? I am a 40k guy cause I nerded out over tyranids. And fantasy really didn't have something similar. So I went by looks. Yeah, that seems boring, but I've read all the books out, and they're really all unique and different, and they're all designed to be "equal". So my suggestion is what you want to paint, and what seems like "you"

3. Alexander

To tell you the truth, I always have been a fan of the Necrons. I also like fantasy, but what I learned about WHF is not very useful for AoS.

The shop sells for beginners the Dark Imperium set, which has for starting armies the Ultramarines and the Plague Marines.

AcridComet likes this.
  4. AcridComet

AcridComet Experienced.

I can understand that. They change alot of stuff, and I hear people complain about AoS more than 40k. Still hear them complain about it, mind, but not as much.

Depending on if you like them, they are fun, if not exactly balanced. The biggest one has commanders for both, with insanely good powers, but the plague marines are the only ones with a psyker, and are technically the cheaper army because they fill it out with zombies instead of marines. The Ultramarines meanwhile, get better weapons, more health per unit, and good synchronized perks. Fair warning, nurgle stuff is really, really disturbing if you look at the professional paint jobs, and isn't for the weak stomached.

Also doesn't come with clippers, or glue. Or paint. Is kinda why it's a money sinkhole.

Alexander likes this.
  5. Alexander

I know about Nurgle, never disturbed me much. If it was a special effect in a video, maybe, but on a miniature it’s clearly fake.

I also like Space Marines and have no bias against the Ultramarines (never had to deal with Matt Ward, so for me that whole “spiritual liege” thing is just a funny anecdote). I don’t mind getting the bigger set and train my skills before starting to build my Necron army, though of course I need to plan how to best spend money...

AcridComet likes this.
  6. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

As someone who played 40k and Fantasy for years before getting out, my first reaction would be: Please don't. There are better games out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It's not a cheap hobby in the least, and GW have historically failed to playtest or do any rigorous reading of their own rules.

I can't directly criticize Age of Sigmar or 40k 8e, having exited the GW hobby space years ago, but the cost of armies within GW rulesets tend towards 'high' and the rules quality tends toward 'playable, but with gaping rules holes that are never patched.' I understand that part of your decision is that the GW near where you live gives you a playspace, but please look into any of the alternatives before throwing yourself at the money sink that is GW gaming.

7. Uxion

Uxion Experienced.

I do not recommend getting into the hobby unless you have a lot of time and money to invest in them.

wellis, Sol Mark-1 and Dakkaface like this.
  8. molemole

molemole Versed in the lewd.

As far as the hobby goes? Neither, I'm from India and the prices are such that I can buy a decent phone for the amount that an army takes. A decent imported phone.
    As far as the RPG goes? I'd like to play or run a Dark Heresy game, and I'm thinking of getting some of the core rulebooks.

As far as the setting? It's incredibly fun to write in. I definitely prefer 40k to WHF. I grew up on my dad's collection of old SF, from Pournelle and Niven to PK Dick and a hell of a lot more. Every piece of what I read in my childhood can comfortably fit into that massive setting of 40k, and do so reasonably coherently. It's a joy to write that, and makes reading and brainstorming in the 40k setting far more interesting than WHF for me.
    But my factors are purely personal preferences, and should not be taken as general :)

Sol Mark-1, AcridComet and Alexander like this.