• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

World of Tanks

Tavarokk

Pursuer of perversion
I'm considering going back to WoT to check out how it changed during the couple years of my absence and whether they fixed the 100% damage absorbtion issue that caused me to leave back then.

With that said, does anyone here play WoT? Which server? What are your impressions of the game as it is now?

I play on the Eu server and if the issue you are referring to is about tracks eating shots with no damage, I have to say it depends a lot by who is shooting at what, at what angle and with what ammunition. For example HEAT (High Explosive Anti.Tank) ammo does NOT like spaced (which tracks count as) and/or sloped surfaces; so if you shoot the tracks of an angled tank with HEAT, chances are that all you are going to do is blow his tracks and would have been better off using normal or APCR (Armor Piercing Composite Rigid) ammo. There is also the overmatch mechanic, whcih allow you a greater chance of penetrating (and ignoring in certain cases) a tank regardless of how well angled it is(example: a AP/APCR 130mm shell will go through a 40mm plate angling be damned).

As for my impression I have to say that it really depends on what type of tanks you play. For example artillery got hit by some serious accuracy nerfs and there is a lot less concealement for light tanks to sit in and spot enemies. Maps also got reworked and/or removed; redshire for example is a lot less hilly. New tech tress got added, like the japanese and chzechoslovakian ones. The renderization time of tanks after they got spotted has been improved and now it is almost immediate.

if the issue you are referring to is about tracks eating shots with no damage
Tracks eating an occasional shot is normal, but at some point a few years ago (shortly after Pershing stopped being top tier american MT?) devs fiddled with critical hit mechanics with the result being that some, if not all, modules and crew members would regularly completely absorb an AP shell's damage on critical regardless of the amount of said damage. Stuff like six consecutive hits with 704's BL-10 mid-hull with penetration yielding six 'dings' with 0 actual hull damage.

Stuff like six consecutive hits with 704's BL-10 mid-hull with penetration yielding six 'dings' with 0 actual hull damage.
I don't have the 704 (and generally never used the BL-10, I'm going up the Su-101 line), but that never happened to me as far as I can remember. Usually the russian heavy tanks are the most infamous for eating shots with their track/side armor, but to be fair the actual hull is either behind some really big tracks (like the KV-4) or it is well angled and behind spaced armor (at least with high tier tanks like the T-10, formerly known as the IS-8, and the IS-7).

That's good to hear.
never used the BL-10
Well, there's a fairly wide selection of 152 mm and even more powerful guns now. Back in the day BL-10 was very much a unique and lovely experience not to be missed out on.
Usually the russian heavy tanks are the most infamous for eating shots with their track/side armor
Yeah, IS-7 in particular had that nasty vertical armor plate on the side that looked like a perfect target, but actually was invulnerable (so you needed to deiberately target tracks instead).

Well, there's a fairly wide selection of 152 mm and even more powerful guns now. Back in the day BL-10 was very much a unique and lovely experience not to be missed out on.
Well, I do have the ISU-152 unlocked so I may experience it myself one day.

From the right and friendy side this time :p.

Yeah, IS-7 in particular had that nasty vertical armor plate on the side that looked like a perfect target, but actually was invulnerable (so you needed to deiberately target tracks instead).
It still is pretty damn tough to get trough.
IS7_Side-2.jpg

Better to aim under the hull and above the tracks. Unless you have a gun with high penetration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back